Sunday, August 23, 2020

Gamers Volume 6 Afterword

Hello, I’m the author that washes his upper left arm first during a bath, Sekina Aoi.

…Well, we’re starting the afterword with the most useless information in the world. I think smart readers will have an idea already, this will be a lengthy afterword too. As usual, even there are no additives, no processing, and no adjustment in content, the word count somehow got higher. It can’t be helped. I can’t violate the laws of nature.

…Now that I’m writing this, everyone, who’s living cheerfully and relaxedly, may feel, “Hiya, how shameful, why can’t it be like refined, no-pesticides vegetables?” However, even if it’s veggies, no pesticides and whether it’s tasty or not are two separate issues. Instead of letting everyone read that I wash my upper left arm first, it’s better for the readers and Fantasia if I just put advertisement here. Moreover, it can reduce my workload.

…The author is upset, the editors and proofreaders need to do more work, and the reader will be in pain too.

…When it ended up like this, people will start to seriously wonder who did I write this “afterword” for, and why did I publish it. If I just made the topic a bit more serious, I can write a super stern article called “The reason I was born is…” that contradicts itself. Perhaps this is even a precious plot that can be adapted into a Hollywood movie in the name of ATOGAKI. [Note: Atogaki means afterword.] I’m just making that up. Also, I think I might have used this topic already.

Anyway, because of that, I need to write a lengthy afterword again.

However, about the pages of the afterword, it’s really decided by fate. So, sometimes there will be a bunch of long ones, and sometimes a bunch of short ones. But, somehow, I don’t feel good of the latter, the difference is way too much, and it bothers me. I feel like it would be better to just give up my “no adjustment” style, but I already created a reputation bafflingly. I think the consumers will furiously complain if I suddenly started using additives now, what a difficult situation.

Even so, …for example, in those travel shows where it’s only fun when the cast met an unfortunate accident, if the director suddenly forced some activities in, I’ll also feel like “That’s not what the audience wants to see!” However, when I saw those episodes with no accidents at all, I will also complain, “This is really boring.”

By applying that principle, in other words, I’m now in the eternal hell of “didn’t explicitly adjust the word count, but it’s long for some reason…” The cast in this show will eventually explode. In the future afterwords, if I suddenly-

Well, please watch the following Fibonacci sequence for a while.

0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89. 144, 255…

When I started writing stuff like this, it would be really helpful if the readers can write a letter to the editors and say, “Please let Aoi-sensei rest more.” However, I guess the editor should worry first since he’s the one that read the draft of this afterword.

By the way, if the editorial department cares about my mental health, I feel like it’s time for me to act brainy and bring up a “Long Afterword Termination Plan” out. For example…

“Although I’m sorry for Aoi-sensei, …please include advertisement this time, no matter what! I beg you! Initially, we also hoped to read sensei’s incredible afterwords too! But you need to preserve the editor’s reputation too! Please be considerate!”

If the editorial department is willing to bow down and beg me, it’s not like I can’t fondle with my mustache and…

“Well, if you guys are saying that, it can’t be helped. For the readers, and for the reputation of ‘lengthy afterwords,’ I wanted to write a long afterword too. But I’m impressed by your enthusiasm. Alright, I decided to…not write a lengthy afterword this time!”

I can answer like that too. Please let me answer that way. Please. I beg you. I can kneel down, or I can lick your shoes.

After the long-awaited complaint about lengthy afterwords, here comes the most helpless part. In reality, the editor will actually-

“We have X pages for this time. …Is it okay? Do you want to change it?”

He’ll ask me kindly, but I-

“Uh, it’s okay. It’ll be troublesome to change it. (picks my nose)”

I accepted it casually. Everything’s my fault, …yet I kept blabbing. Sekina Aoi is undoubtedly annoying. I’m really sorry.

However, please be considerate, everyone. …Just a little bit.

After spending two hours writing this dissatisfying trash text with a stomach full of complaint, I proofread it and mocked myself. “Yep, what a piece of trash.” Then, I quietly mailed the draft to the editor before taking a sip of the canned coffee that cooled down already. A lonely man who’s deeply sighing.

It’s like playing a game for two hours without saving, and then the fuse blew. This feeling. Also, after reading that description-

“I can’t believe Sekina Aoi spent two hours on a text like this? It looks like he’s not talented to write afterwords.”

To the readers that see me this way, you’re absolutely correct. I’m not talented in writing afterwords. I’m not writing this casually at all. Instead, I mumbled “ughhh” in my mouth as I thought about it for a long time before finishing this junk. Come to think of it, I’m helpless…

Once I snapped out of it, I started complaining again. Sorry, let’s switch up the mood.

Anyways, here’s <Gamers! 6 – The Lonely Gamer and Love Confession Chain Combo>. How does everyone feel?

From the creator’s perspective, perhaps this feels like writing a long story. Although the content is still a continuous short (medium) story. I guess the plot development will be lengthy.

It’s also quite rare for a volume to have plot twists in the middle and at the end.

Instead of saying it’s a bunch of misunderstanding, the 6th volume is more like a resolve. It would be my honor if everyone enjoyed this volume as well. The problem is with the way of solving the misunderstandings. Based on different perspectives, perhaps some will feel that things only got even more troublesome.

However, like what I’ve written at the end of Volume 5, this is a romantic comedy. It would be my honor if you can wait for the next volume in a relaxed manner.

Ah, also, about the subtitle. Instead of seeing it from the ending’s perspective, perhaps people will think, “oh, that’s why” if they thoroughly read the entire book.

…………

…Well, there’s a piece of bad news, everyone.

This is the unexpected end of the afterword main dish that talked about the plot in Volume 6.

…Ah, r-right, let’s announce something related to multimedia!

Thanks to everyone, <Gamers!> will have a manga and a planned anime adaptation. First of all, the manga part is already published in the October issue of Monthly Shōnen Ace. Props to Tsubasa Takahashi-sensei and his fantastic drawing skills.

As for the anime adaptation, uh, there’s an anime, yes. There’ll be more details in the future.

………

H-Hiya, this is weird, that’s all about the news. It’s especially disappointing when the anime topic can’t even drag the word count up! Currently, aside from the “there’s an anime soon, wow,” I have literally nothing to talk about! What is this? Should I just say there’ll be a giant robot in the anime? But people will often mention a plot like that even if it’s not related to anime, right?

…Ugh! D-Didn’t I say this before? I’m not talented to write afterwords…!

Actually, that character has that background. …There’s literally nothing for me talk about regarding that topic! I’m the type of author that can’t say anything unless it’s related to the main story! Especially for this series!

For example, …recently, there was a conference for the anime adaptation. It feels like it’s related to my work. Still, my attitude for that is basically, “There’s nothing I can give you guys aside from the original light novel, how about that?” In the end-

(Then what is this Aoi guy doing here…)

(The original author is the worst person when it comes to producing the <Gamers!> anime…)

The conference is even filled with this hopeless atmosphere. (Paranoia accounts for 90%)

As for the detailed settings and future developments, …I’m the person that wants to know them the most!

Especially the so-called “behind-the-scenes settings,” I’ve always been confused about that.

Uh, …it’s BTS settings as long as it’s not a setting appeared on the surface plot, right?

- Actually, Tendou-san loves udon.

Like this, right?

Uh, although I just wrote a setting like that, I’m not sure whether Tendou-san is an “udon lover.” I entirely made that up just then. However, if the author specifically mentioned that in the afterword, it’s obviously a BTS setting, right. Yep, but if we actually ask Tendou-san…

“Udon? I don’t hate it, it tastes good…”

I feel like she would give a vague answer like this. However, the author guaranteed that “Tendou-san loves udon” in the afterword already. It has to be right. You should believe the author instead of the puzzled Tendou-san.

But if that makes sense, I can write whatever I want in the BTS settings.

- Actually, Keita Amano is a girl.

- Actually, Chiaki Hoshinomori’s hair is really seaweed.

- Actually, everyone in <Gamers!> has passed away already.

Hiya, all of those were shocking, right. However, they should be correct if the author said it, even though none of them will appear in the plot! Alright, the staff responsible for the manga and anime adaptation, pay attention to this part! Please draw the faces of all characters in a subtly lifeless manner, let’s follow the BTS settings!

Alright, let’s put the jokes aside. Actually, I didn’t even write any BTS settings. Sigh, I get it. Basically, BTS settings aren’t here because the story needs BTS settings. Instead, it should be “the settings that were designed but weren’t mentioned in the story, or it was included in the background,” right.

So, just like the example above, it’s not BTS settings if you made it up later. It only counts as the author saying random things. I’m sorry. The stage is not based on an afterlife world. …Uh, even though if you say the characters are actually in the “Hell of Romantic Comedy,” I feel like a lot of parts can be explained at once.

However, I do hope that I can talk about these BTS settings with a smug face, even though there are no settings at all. What should I do with this desire? Hey, can anyone give me the BTS settings for <Gamers!>?

Ah, but I remembered this. If we’re talking about secrets like “the character from previous novels is actually already with this character…”, I have something too! Here it comes, the secrets that feel like BTS settings! The one that authors will often brag about with a proud look!

However, I’m not going to reveal it.

Uh? You’re asking why? …After all, perhaps I’ll use it later in some other places. Even if I don’t, it’ll be extremely embarrassing if people started complaining about it. More importantly, to the people who have only read <Gamers!>, that’s something that they would never care about. …Or I should say, it’s not worth mentioning to someone else…

…………

Crap. This isn’t a BTS setting, it’s actually an “in-name-only setting.”

I guess this counts as the same type with the “frail” attribute of the female protagonist two novels ago. The settings that aren’t going to benefit anyone even if you knew it. Whatever, let’s move on.

So, that’s all for the BTS settings for <Gamers!>. Hey, it’s really an afterword-style afterword! I feel like a healthy light novel author right now! The guy that spent 5 pages complaining about afterwords wasn’t me at all!

A-Alright, the remaining pages will be for daily reports.

Recently, I’ve watched a lot of overseas shows. When the TV that can play internet shows arrived at my home, I’m immediately globbed up by its convenience.

Speaking of overseas shows, although the cast keeps changing, it can still last something like “season 10.” I’m somewhat admiring them.

I hope <Gamers!> can adapt the same approach and aim to release 100 episodes.

I guess the original cast wasn’t here anymore if there are 100 episodes. Even Amano, who’s the protagonist…

“The mysterious middle-aged gamer bloke (who sucks) that barely showed up in Episode 54 will be his last appearance, right?”

I’m afraid that it would come down to this. The 100th episode of the main story will probably be about 8 boys and girls renting an apartment together in France. All the gaming elements will be gone. Also, there wouldn’t be any misunderstandings as well. More importantly, the author who moved to France, claiming that he wants more ideas…

“Today, I’m still presenting you with this chapter at the side of the Seine River.”

I’ve heard that every afterword will start with this sentence from now on…

…Uh, sorry, this series will still end before the 100th episode.

Well, here’s the appreciation speech.

First of all, Cactus-sensei, thanks for your illustrations. I really appreciated your work. A romantic comedy that’s based on conversations doesn’t have a lot of chances for illustrations to shine. Your dynamic drawings adorned my work. Thank you. I’ll be relying on you.

Then, props to the editor. Even though I’m the weirdo that agreed to write a lengthy afterword and nag about it, you still patiently accompanied me. Thank you so much. I can guarantee that I’ll write something long about this next time too. Hope you don’t mind.

Finally, thank you, readers. Thanks for reading this volume. You guys even read the afterword that’s full of complaints, not to mention the annoying main story. Perhaps your stomach is full already, but the story and afterwords will continue. So, I hope everyone can spend a few months on digestion.

Well, see you in the next volume.


Sekina Aoi



Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

1 comment: