Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Gamers Volume 6 Chapter 5 Part 3

Chapter 5 – Chiaki Hoshinomori and Broken Multiplayer, Part 3 of 3
Translator: your_pingas

Keita Amano

(Ugh, …Kousei is still just as serious when it comes to me…)

I walked alone behind everyone depressingly.

We’re already in the rural area that’s far away from the downtown area filled with game stores and other shops. It’s only a short walk away from the area that’s full of natural scenery. However, right now, there are only food processing factories and car reseller shops that no one visits. There’s nothing that can calm down my restless heart at the moment.

In the end, I can only put my mind on the friends that are walking in front of me…

“…………”

In front of me, my little brother is already getting familiar with everyone in just a couple of hours. While he’s young, he’ll never be shy to express himself…At the same time, he’s chatting with everyone with perfect politeness.

I stared at them dazedly before I let out a lamenting sigh.

(Kousei’s sure incredible. In terms of strong communication skills, I think he shares that with Uehara-kun and Tendou-san…However, there’s a slight difference between them…Hmm, …what is it?)

I looked at the back of my outstanding little brother for a while.

So, just as he’s….chatting with the three people that he just sat with for lunch extra peacefully, I finally realized.

(Right. There’s a “sincere” and “likable” part of Kousei that he shows everyone but me, yes!)

I’m reveling in my accurate observation. Yeah, exactly. Although Uehara-kun and Tendou-san are both excellent as well, Kousei’s situation is that he’s innocent and straightforward from the bottom of his heart.

(I must be right to think that his “kindness” is already known by everyone at this point.)

Look. Tendou-san, Uehara-kun, and Konoha-san smiled robotically just then. Being able to make three people with different personalities grinning the exact same way, my little brother is undoubtedly incredible.

(…Sigh. In comparison, I…)

The more that I’m proud of my little brother, the more apparent it shows how useless I’m.

Honestly, even one of the reasons that I invited my little brother is…This is embarrassing, but trying to brag “hey, I got myself a bunch of good friends and a girlfriend as well” is included. However, once the result is revealed…It only proved that I’m still only myself in front of my excellent little brother.

(Ay, but I guess this is not all bad. I think I’m acting a bit too proud lately)

Even if I got a girlfriend, and my friends are benefiting me so much. I’m still me. I acknowledged the fact that I’m just “Keita Amano” once again. Yep, from this perspective…

(Perhaps, …it’s right to call Kousei here.)

I looked at Kousei, who’s chatting happily with Uehara-kun and his friends, as I can’t help but smile…Despite everything, I’m still really delighted to know that Kousei’s happy when he’s around my favorite friends.

Just as I’m pondering alone, in that group, …there’s an angel with blonde hair who left silently and came to me.

“T-Tendou-san? What’s wrong?”

I asked her with a slightly sharper voice out of my nervousness…Even though we’re dating each other for a couple of months, I’m still straightening my back whenever she’s next to me. I’m really not in the same league with my little brother, how useless.

Tendou-san smiled warmly at me, …but her face immediately darkens for some reason before asking me.

“Uh, …Amano-kun? Well, …are you feeling better now?”

“Eh?”

I freaked out at the unexpected question…A-Am I feeling better? Why is she asking that…Ah.

(Come to think of it, I have a slight headache since morning. It lasted all the way until we had lunch.)

Since it’s quite mild, I’m fully recovered by now. So, I eventually forgot about it.

I answered Tendou-san with a smile.

“Yeah, I’m absolutely fine now. Thanks for worrying over me, Tendou-san!”

“R-Really. Glad to hear that…”

Tendou-san pressed her chest in relief. That look, …I’m really proud of her.

“Sigh, …you’re really amazing.”

“Eh?”

“I’m confident in myself for not acting like I have a headache…I can’t believe you’re still able to tell it. I’m throbbed to know that.”

“Eh? Ah, that’s because…”

Tendou-san plopped her head down somehow…Is it because she’s embarrassed?

I also scratched my face. Although I’m feeling a bit embarrassed, …I still said my thanks.

“Uh, you’re indeed my girlfriend. No one can do what you just did. I really appreciate that.”

“…It’s okay…”

Tendou-san is holding herself with her arms tightly for some reason. She’s even looking away from me…?

(Ah, …did I make her uncomfortable just then? I-I guess it’s right. I think “you’re indeed my girlfriend” is quite lofty. Uwah…)

I’m freaking out at Tendou-san’s reaction. I-I really didn’t mean anything aside from expressing my gratitude…However, that’s why it’ll be weird to take it back right now…Ugh!

During this time…

“Ah, Tendou-senpai, there’s something I would like to ask you for. What does this reaction mean? It doesn’t look like an item or a character…”

“Eh? Ah, a-alright, that’s…”

Thanks to Kousei for suddenly speaking up to Tendou-san at the front, we managed to get over this stalemate vaguely…T-Thanks, Kousei!

(…However, this means that my little brother can’t stand anymore and helped me.)

Crap, I’m so depressed right now. Seeing my perfect little brother chatting happily with my girlfriend from behind dazedly, it’s really disheartening. While I don’t feel anything remotely related jealousy, …I feel like I can’t be any more useless.

This time, Chiaki was the one that walked next to me while I’m feeling hopeless.

She’s looking at me with her usual, slightly provoking stance.

“Keita, is the meal good?”

“Huh? Why are you asking that? I mean, it’s okay, …but you’re not the one that cooked it, anyways.”

“You’re right…”

“W-What’s wrong? Why are you looking at my eyes.”

“It’s nothing…Hmm, good to know that. Yes. Sorry for the simple diet.”

“Uh, why are you saying that like you cooked it.”

Chiaki chuckled…W-What’s wrong with this girl? I feel like she found out a new way to tease me.

I shrugged helplessly before grabbing my phone out of the pocket and checked GOM. So, Chiaki quickly noticed it and reminded me.

“You’re on your phone while walking.”

“Why are you saving that up until now? There’s no one around, and the path is wide, please just leave me alone.”

“…But you’re on your phone while walking.”

How annoying. I let out a helpless sigh and stopped as I went to the side of the road to check my game. Although we distanced ourselves from everyone else for a bit, it’ll be quick to check, so everything should be fine.

Chiaki laughed. “Good boy.” Then, she stood next to me and checked her game as well.

“You’re playing too?”

“Of course, I’m here to play this.”

“…Really.”

Chiaki stayed next to me cheerfully. She checked the location around her with a face full of excitement…Jeez.

(The part that I hate the most is that I can actually understand what she’s thinking…)

Our views for everything are almost identical. This hurts my brain.

After I’m finished with my game, I glanced at Chiaki’s screen without thinking. Then, it showed…

(Ah, her level is indeed low.)

That’s totally the stats of a new player. Chiaki must have registered just for this activity, right.

(I think I’ve seen her playing GOM a while ago, …was it just my imagination?)

Although I’m still a bit suspicious, I looked at Chiaki’s screen as I spoke up to her.

“Your username is…Haru?”

“Ah, wait, don’t peek. You pervert.”

“What kind of fetish do I need for me to be turned on with a game screen like that…”

I let out a sigh and asked her again.

“By the way, why are you calling yourself Haru?”

“No reason, I just named it randomly. I guess it’s because I like spring if you want a reason.” [Note: “Haru” means spring in Japanese.]

“Oh, …you’re still as bad with talking to people as I do, Chiaki.”

“Please leave me alone! Also, Keita, is it okay for you to insult me like that!”

Chiaki complained vehemently, but I didn’t care. I just answered, “I’m going” before taking the first step. So, Chiaki immediately replied. “P-Please wait.” Then, she chased after me.

I looked at the white fumes coming out from the factories in front as I got lost in thoughts.

(Haru, …that’s more like what Konoha-san would use.)

Sigh, there’s nothing concrete about my suspicion. After all, nothing is forcing people to call their characters with their real names.

After walking with Chiaki for a while, we caught up with everyone. All of them stopped to check on their phones.

“Ah, …hey, Amano, I think there’re rare characters around here.”

“Eh, really? What characters?”

I grabbed my phone out to check once again. Then…

(Ah, this is…)

That’s a special character that was released in previous missions. One of the new functions that made GOM enjoyable is using this to release “vintage characters” or the ones that were missing in previous rewards. I think it’s a pretty good mechanic.

Speaking of the characters, it’s a handy one that was released in a short activity a while ago. Its weapons are top-tier.

I’m so excited that I can’t help but raise my face. However, the newbies that only started playing today will never know its real value-

“…Hmm?”

-For some reason, I made eye contact with Chiaki.

“!”

However, Chiaki quickly plopped her head down…? What’s wrong with her? Just as I’m hesitating whether to talk to her, then…

“Ah, Hoshino, Hoshino, I think I just got a weird screen!”

Aguri-san called Chiaki out of her confusion, so we missed the chance.

I let out a gentle sigh and attempted to change my mood. “Ah, right.” Then, I rushed next to Konoha-san.

“Konoha-san, Konoha-san! I feel pretty good!”

“…Hiya?”

Konoha-san looked away from the screen and towards me as she tilted her head confusingly…What?

She was shocked for a while. After that, she answered with something that’s not even remotely related.

“Did we have sex already, senpai?”

“That’s a ridiculous reply. I’m not ‘feeling good’ in that way. Look at the character!”

“Eh, this character isn’t a virgin? But her face is so cute…I’m turned on.”

“What are you talking about? You can get this character, this one. Don’t you remember?”

“…? Ah, r-right. Uh, ….it exists.”

For some reason, Konoha-san’s eyes are starting to float around. I tilted my head and glanced at her screen as well.

(The username is Mono…I still found this unbelievable even when I saw it once again.)

I can’t believe this person is Mono that I’ve played with for so long, …at the same time, she’s supposed to be the F2P game creator NOBE that I respect. Even if my brain understands, right now, I still feel like they’re not related to Konoha-san.

(Despite confirming Konoha-san’s username from her phone, I still feel unrealistic…From this perspective, I think I’m quite weird as well.)

People often have more or less the same as I do when they meet someone they know on the internet in real life, right? Like, the “different than what I expected” impression…Uh, I think I’m not expecting anything from Mono or NOBE, though…

Just as I’m thinking about this, Konoha-san called her sister, who just finished teaching Aguri-san, for some reason.

“Onee-chan, come! Come here!”

“What’s wrong, Konoha?”

Just like that, she wrapped her arms around her older sister’s shoulders. Then, she even glanced at me before whispering about something I don’t know.

(…I feel like it’s better for me to not listen to it. Even though I don’t know what do the girls want.)

Usually, I would pay 100% attention to what others are saying, but not to the point of eavesdropping on people’s secrets.

I looked at my phone and did some casual missions to kill time.

…So-

“Hey, sorry for the wait, senpai! Greetings, I’m Mono!”

Konoha-san suddenly came back to me and self-introduced herself again, which has been repeated so many times at this point.

“R-Really, Nice to meet you…”

“Damn, by the way, Tenshou is out again! The character with the OP leader’s ability – Lightflare. Everyone calls her the Shining Sky because of her cute forehead. I can’t believe I got it right now. Damn, that feels good, go new function!”

“R-Really. Y-You’re right…”

“Hey, what’s wrong, senpai? You’re not high enough! Don’t you feel excited!”

“I…I’m excited, uh…”

W-What’s wrong? Konoha-san is so high right now. Her suggestion is super correct, and it matched with my knowledge as well, …but it feels really out of place. However, it’s not like I can just say it.

Well, all I can do for now is to give a vague smile. Konoha-san is laughing stiffly as well.

…………

“Well, it’s time for us to get moving again.”

Uehara-kun noticed everyone’s finished with their game, so he lead the discussion. After we responded, we put back our phones and started walking.

After a short walk, …for some reason, I looked back and glanced at the two people that are far behind the group.

(…Konoha-san and Chiaki are holding each other’s phones and whispering over something….)

The sisters are surely close. I feel like Kousei doesn’t like me very much, so I can do nothing aside from getting envious.

*

-In the end, a couple of incidents like that happened afterward.

Even when I’m speaking to Konoha-san excitingly about the characters and items, I don’t get the expected reaction from her. Just as I’m feeling regretful, she’ll continue the discussion a minute later very energetically. I’m quite fed up with it. This situation repeated again and again.

Even so, GOM Search as a real-time location game is still very enjoyable. We continued to play since it attracts us a lot.

So, once we snapped out of it…

The seven of us are watching the beautiful sunset from the parking lots at the top of the hill.

…Uehara-kun looked from a distance as he mumbled.

“…I think…we walked the path to the hill unconsciously…”

(………..)

Everyone immediately lowered their heads…Well, we’re so fascinated with the game that we climbed up the hill and met the sunset. This is quite shameful even for gamers like us.

However, the one good thing is that there’s a recently constructed rest area near us. A lot of buses heading towards downtown and other places are operational as well.

After we checked our respective bus schedule for heading home, we gathered up at the rest area and started to wait for the bus. However, none of the couples are chatting with each other happily…

(…………)

Even Tendou-san can’t hide her tired look. This shows that how exhausting and unconstructive today really is.

We’re sitting there tiringly as if the whole group just went through intense training in the sports club. I felt responsible since I’m the one that planned this, so I tried to mobilize my low communication skill and attempted to make small talks.

“Uh, i-is everyone’s bus schedule separated from each other?”

The one person that’s willing to answer my “unnecessary” question is still my girlfriend, Karen Tendou.

She’s wearing that “Karen Tendou’s smile” on her drained face as she summarized for everyone.

“Yeah. It’s either to Amano’s house, to Hoshinomori’s house, or to downtown. The members that are taking the buses are the same. The Amano brothers. The Hoshinomori sisters, and the rest of us.”

“Really. Uh, well, the bus to our home is leaving 20 minutes later at 6:30 PM. Tendou-san, how about you?”

“The downtown gang is leaving at 6:25 PM. Hoshinomori-san, what about you?”

“Ah, we’re going at 6:35 PM. We’re quite close to you guys.”

“Really…”

The conversation ended entirely. Yes, it’s over. It’s not like the usual “after a subtle silence,” instead, it’s absolutely over. I can say that everyone doesn’t want to talk in the least bit.

Usually, in times like this, Aguri-san or Uehara-kun, who’s strong at chatting with each other, will initiate the discussion first…However, they’re really exhausted by now. The two of them are lying on the table lovingly.

I feel like it’s not going to help to keep talking, so I just minded my own business and played on my phone…After all, I have the least stamina in this group. In reality, I’m just as tired as everyone, but I’m not “exhausted.” Instead, my eyes are still sparking actively. This is a kind of excited state. I guess I’m like those elementary kids eagerly waiting for their trip and unable to fall asleep.

I clicked on my phone as I can’t help but smile.

(I can’t believe I’m playing with my friends on the holiday until we’re all drained…To me, it’s not that easy to find such a blessing experience like this…)

There’s no way for me to be really tired right now…However, I still pretended I do to avoid getting embarrassed. Even so, it’s not to the point that I have to rest my eyes-

(…Eh, that’s weird?)

-Now that I’m looking, Chiaki seems to be playing with her phone as well. I think she’s in the same excited state as I do. In reality, her relaxed smile is blossoming as if she’s blessed from the bottom of her heart…

(…Uh, ah!)

Just as I’m smiling when I saw her expression, I quickly tried to tone it down…Feeling gratified because of my rival’s feeling blessed, what am I doing? Jeez.

When I confirmed no one around saw me smiling, I put my focus back onto the phone and opened GOM Search.

(Although I’m already done with it today, …there’s nothing else to do.)

Moreover, we only checked the area in front of the parking lot under the sunset. Perhaps there could be more checkpoints around here.

I looked at the screen and checked the characters and items near this rest station, but I can’t find anything eye-catching. After I got all those and feeling there’s nothing to do, …I can’t help but zoom out of the map and look at the locations further ahead.

-During this time.

“Ah.”

-I can’t suppress my voice. Also, Chiaki made the exact same noise at the same time for some reason as well.

Chiaki and I made eye-contact…Then, I asked her about it.

“Uh, what’s wrong, Chiaki?”

So, Chiaki blushed a little somehow as she shook her head and answered. “I-It’s nothing.”

“I’m okay. I’m just reading the online news, yes. W-What about you, Keita?”

“M-Me? Uh, …it’s nothing, should be the same as you. There’s nothing to worry about.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

Our conversation ended, just like that…I let out a faint sigh as I stared at the screen once again.

(This…I can get this if I take a short walk from here…)

That’s a coupon for challenging the multiplayer battles in the past again. The multiplayer battles are mostly missions that require you to “cooperate with other players” and slay the enemies. You’ll get all kinds of rewards after defeating the boss. Basically, once the activity is over, you can’t challenge it anymore.

However, the special item that allows you to participate in the battle once again is right there.

I can’t help but cross my arms as I sighed.

(I really want this. But, …it’s really far and the bus is arriving soon…)

I remember that if I miss this, I’ll have to wait for an hour for the next one. Honestly, that’s really exhausting.

(Moreover, even if we won this multiplayer battle, the rewards are a bit too shabby.)

From a pure gamer’s perspective, this boss isn’t really worth it, at least I’m definitely not going to wait an hour for another bus just to get the reward. However…

“Hey, everyone. I think the buses are arriving one by one into the station.”

Kousei suddenly spoke up. Then, we snapped out of it and checked the bus terminus from the glass window near the rest area entrance. Just like what he said, although there’s still a bit of time, the buses to all destinations are on stand-by.

Uehara-kun let out a “phew” as he stretched his back, then he was the first to stand up from the chair.

“Well, it’s almost time for us to leave, right. No use dragging our feet here.”

After we heard what he said, we slowly rose from our respective chairs and walked to the entrance of the rest area. In the meantime, we bid our farewells to each other.

(Ah, right…)

I thought of something after I finished talking to Tendou-san, so I rushed next to Konoha-san.

“Konoha-san! Uh, actually, there’s a Star Dragon Novajak boss fight close-“

“Ah, I’m sorry, Amano-senpai. Just a second, …phew!”

Konoha-san interrupted me and yawned as if she’s thoroughly exhausted. Well, she’s still the student council president of Hekiyou, after all. Comparing to her normal anthomaniac state, I think her yawning face is quite adorable.

After I saw her like that, …I…

“Ah, so what do you want, Amano-senpai?”

“…Uh, …ah, well, …Konoha-san. I-I really appreciate you for playing with me today! I had a good time!”

“Eh? Ah, a-alright. If senpai’s happy, …well, …I guess I’m the same…”

After I thanked her with a smile, Konoha-san lost her usual calm and is trembling embarrassingly. I left after praising her once again.

Once we walked out of the rest area and arrived at the bus terminus, Uehara-kun turned back and looked at us as he concluded.

“Well, …thanks for today, everyone!”

“Thanks for today, everyone!”

With that, we finally disbanded.

The bus is lining up according to the departure time. I waved at Tendou-san before going onto the second one with Kousei. The bus is empty. We decided to take one of the double seats each and sat down with one person in front of the other.

“Phew.”

Once I sat down, Kousei let out a huge sigh in front. I praised him with a bitter smile.

“Thanks for today, Kousei. You must’ve been exhausted after dealing with a bunch of strangers.”

“Hmm? Nope, it’s not like that. I’m not you, brother. I’m not afraid of people.”

“Ugh…”

“However-“

Kousei seems to be acting like he’s teasing someone as he said that. Then, he looked outside the window and mumbled.

“…Ay, I guess there’s still a bunch of good friends that care about me. If we’re talking about you, brother.”

“Kousei…”

While he acts coldly, he does care for me. Hmm, my little brother is still just as outstanding as usual. He’s so perfect that it hurts my brain, this little brother.

I’m so excited that I started leaning forward and talked to him.

“Kousei, I think everyone really likes you today!”

“…Who knows.”

Kousei chuckled like there’s a deeper meaning behind this. What a humble person. I really like him for not being arrogant. This is the little brother of my house. I should say that he’s very social while keeping his true self.

In comparison, I…

“…………”

I leaned my body on the back of the seat entirely before looking outside the window.

I can’t see the sun anymore, and there’s star sparkling in the sky. The weather is clear, the air is clean, it should be a night with beautiful stars to see…Even though I can’t see anything inside the well-lit bus.

I grabbed my phone from the pocket and turned on the screen.

6:25 PM…During this time, the bus in front that’s heading to downtown is starting.

Due to the position, regrettably, I can’t see Tendou-san from the window of the bus. However, I’m still staring at the bus leaving dazedly.

I sighed and paid attention to my phone once again. 6:26 PM. It would be not long before we’re leaving as well…

I decided to switch up the mood by playing mobile games and surfing the net, so I unlocked the screen. Then…

“…………”

The screen of GOM Search that I opened earlier filled my sight.

…Sigh, fine.

“Kousei.”

“Y-Yeah?”

I patted Kousei’s shoulders, who’s already getting drowsy.

So, just as he’s rubbing his eyes while turning to me with an annoyed look. “What’s wrong, brother…”

I…scratched my cheeks with a bitter smile and said something that even I would agree that it’s a dumb suggestion.



Chiaki Hoshinomori

“Sigh, even I felt like it’s dumb for me to do this…Why is this happening…Phew, …phew…”

I walked along the path to the hill in the cold night as I grieved.

It’s been just 5 minutes since I started climbing the stairs behind the rest area that’s heading towards the plaza. Due to the tiredness today along with the steep stairs, honestly, I already wanted to quit.

“I…picked…the…completely…wrong…option…”

I basically leaned my entire body to the brand new handrail that’s supposed to be designed for the disabled as I climbed the hill slowly.

Thanks to this being a tourist’s hotspot with extensive planning, there’s stairs and lights even in the mountains. I guess I should be grateful for this. Also, although there’s not a lot of people around, other tourists are still here. So, even though it’s a mountain at night, it’s not a dangerous environment that no girl should walk alone.

(Although I used this reason to make Konoha go home first and climbed this alone…)

After I reached the halfway of the mountain, I stopped at one point and sat on the stable handrail. I took a couple deep breaths. The scent from the trees and the grass filled my lungs up with fresh and clean air.

I tried to not disrupt other tourists as I grabbed a bottle of 340ml mineral water from my bag that I bought at the rest area. Then, I took a sip.

“…Phew.”

Just as I’m going to stare at the sky dazedly, …I quickly stopped myself.

(No, no, no! I’m going to Starry Plaza next. I need to save staring at the sky until then!)

This path is heading towards Starry Plaza. Just like its name, it’s a vast space where you can see the beautiful stars at night. I can’t look at the sky like this halfway in the mountain. That would be like secretly munching on half the main dish…Ah.

(No, no, no, the starry sky isn’t the main dish.)

When you consider my “initial” goal, the starry sky is like an appetizer. However, no matter what, it’s pointless to stare at the stars here.

“Alright…”

After I confirmed how much my stamina has recovered, I started climbing up the stairs once again.

So, after I moved my feet silently for 5 minutes.

“…I’m here…!”

I finally arrived at the destination.

Starry Plaza.

This is a semicircular plaza that seems to be built by flattening a part of the hillside.

There’s a bunch of equally-distanced benches at the outer ridge of the circle. The seats are adjusted in a way that you can lay down. It must be designed this way so that you can watch the stars easily.

There’s almost no source of light around here. Only a bit is used to point out the location for the fences and the benches.

“Ohh, this is surprisingly beautiful…!”

To be honest, I’ve always skipped this place since I used to treat it as a rural tourist’s hotspot in the past. However, I didn’t expect this turned into an elegant space after some planning. Also, that’s why…

(…Just like what I’ve expected, it’s full of couples…)

A lot of the benches are already filled with people that arrived first…A bunch of young boys and girls.

I sighed helplessly and started moving around the plaza. There’s not a whole lot of tourists around, but the seats are still almost full.

(I really wish there’s a place for me to sit down and rest if possible…)

I thought about this as I kept on looking for empty benches, but there’s none. I let out a sigh and stood at the center of the plaza…Then, I can’t help but stare at the sky. So-

“…Wow.”

A sky filled with twinkling stars filled my vision. Thanks to the dim and wide area, a lot of tiny stars that I’m unable to see usually are revealing themselves. I can’t help but be immersed at the moment.

(…I’m happy that I still came here.)

The late bus, the exhausted body, and all the stairs are worth it.

If there’s a regret, it should be that I hope everyone that went back home first can see this starry sky as well. If I can see with all of my friends, I wonder how thrilling it would be. Watching with them…

(…Sigh, …I guess I still want to come here with Keita…)

I wanted to see the sky with him. Then, together…

(…No.)

I stared at the bright sky as I can’t help but smile bitterly.
(What are you talking about. This is wrong, Chiaki Hoshinomori. The reason that you’re here today…is to bring an end to everything, right?)

Yes. The reason that I’m asking Konoha to go back first and to go out of my way to come here…I’m not trying to flood myself with that kind of sweet imagination.

Instead, I’m here to end this.

I’m here to treat this as the finale…I’m here to disconnect from words like “chance” or “fate.” That’s why I’m here alone…This is the place where “something” that I have a miraculously profound memory of belongs-

“…Chiaki?”

“…………”

During this time, someone spoke up behind me, so I froze completely.

How is this possible? Why is this happening? This is the worst time possible.

I’m still swept up in a wave of emotions…However, once I thought about, “No, perhaps I just imagined things due to my secret wish. That’s absolutely right. That’s the most reasonable explanation!” To prove that I’m correct, I stopped watching the stars and turned back.

So, after I slowly glanced downward, I saw it.

“Good evening, Chiaki. I didn’t expect you’re that similar to me to the point that we’re here to watch the stars alone…This is a bit hilarious.”

The person that I’m in love with – Keita Amano is standing there with an innocent smile.

I pressed my chest in pain as I looked up to the sky once again.

(…Please forgive me, I beg you, …really…)

Then, I begged to the gods that have been pranking me from the bottom of my heart.

*

“Ah, Chiaki, I think there’s an empty bench there. Let us sit down.”

“Eh? Ah, sure…”

Keita urged me to the side of the bench. Then, we sat down with shoulder to shoulder…It’s like we’re couples…

“Weird, what’s wrong with you? You’re sitting all the way at the edge.”

“W-What’s wrong? Why does it matter? K-Keita, are you really that kind of person? Do you want to stick really close to a girl other than your girlfriend!”

“I didn’t say that…but it’s hard for me to talk to you when you’re that far away.”

“You…you’re right. I-I feel like this bench can squeeze 5 people in.”

“Then come closer if you know that.”

“What are you trying to pull off?”

“I want to chat with you.”

“You want to chat about erotic things?”

“We’re just chatting. Why are you thinking in the same way as Konoha-san does? Uh, it’s more like…”

Keita glanced around as he said that. Then, he suppressed his volume slightly.

“After all, …it’s not good to talk loudly in places like this, right?”

“I-I guess you’re right…Ugh, …I-I understand…”

Although I’m trembling with my face as red as tomatoes, I still dragged my way towards the center of the seat inch by inch.

Keita gave me a dumbfounded look.

“W-Why are you giving me that shameful look…I feel like I’m guilty of something.”

“Ugh, …C-Chiaki Hoshinomori is here!”

“Do you need to be that determined for just closing off a couple centimeters! I will still be depressed even though you’re my rival!”

Keita’s eyes are starting to get watery due to the misunderstanding. After I briefly adjusted my breaths, I smiled warmly at him.

“I-It’s okay, you’re not smelly. Really. You’re really not smelly.”

“Eh, are you really trying to smooth things over? Don’t do that. Please don’t do that.”

Keita said that as he tried his best to check his odor…I already said it’s not smelly.

After I calmed down a bit, I asked Keita once again.

“By the way, Keita, why are you here? Where’s your little brother?”

Keita stopped checking his body after hearing my question.

“My little brother got home first. Then, the reason that I’m here…”

“Keita?”

Keita felt silent suddenly after giving me a bitter smile. I tilted my head out of my confusion.

He scratched his head a bit awkwardly and said, “Uh, it’s nothing big…” He’s clearly hesitating. Then, he spoke up sheepishly after a while.

“Honestly, this is quite embarrassing…It sounds girly. I really hope that you can keep it a secret.”

“Really. Girly? Ah, perhaps you love watching the starry sky, that’s romantic of you…?”

“Uh, it’s not like that.”

At this moment, Keita grabbed his phone out of the pocket and clicked on it. Then, …he turned the screen to me.

“T-This is…”

“Yes. I’m here to look for items in GOM Search. I really wanted the rewards in this checkpoint, no matter what. The reason for that is because…”

“…………”

I can’t help but take a deep breath when I saw what was on the screen.

It’s because…It’s because that’s…

“-It’s because this is where Konoha-san and I met up for the first time and defeated the boss.”

“…………”

Keita answered me embarrassingly, yet I can’t say anything.

That’s because I’m here for the exact same reason.

Keita misunderstood that I’m shocked by the dumb reason. So, he continued in a self-mocking tone. “Eh, it’s disgusting, right?”

“I gave up the bus just to acquire a multiplayer battle boss from my memory. I’m really helpless…Do you want to know the even more helpless part? To all of that, I think Mono…”

My heart skipped a bit because someone suddenly called my username. However, I immediately realized Keita’s not talking about me. Yes, the Mono that he’s talking about is…

“…I think Konoha-san doesn’t remember anymore. I should say that she’s not even interested.”

“!”

Keita mumbled depressingly, and I can feel a tinge of pain in my chest. N-No. It’s not like that, Keita. I…I remembered all of them in my heart…!

However, Keita knew nothing about that. He’s even staring at his phone while continuing sadly.

“To me, …that’s a very memorable boss. At that time, I knew nothing about efficiency. I’m still taking my baby steps then. Mono and I tried our best to defeat the Star Dragon Novajak…Although we didn’t even message each other, that’s why I felt that our souls are connected.”

“…!”

I fell speechless.

…Me too. Me too. Me too!

Even though I’m practically screaming inside my heart, …he’s still feeling a bit lonely next to me.

“However, I guess this is only a ‘one-sided’ imagination. I realized that when I saw Konoha-san’s reactions today. To be honest, I’m pretty embarrassed.”

I can’t look at Keita’s disheartening smile. Why…Why is this happening? I…I…

Just as I’m clenching my fists tightly on my lap, Keita seems to have noticed that the mood is going off. So, he quickly tried to smooth things over. “Ah, sorry!”

“Ay, instead of saying this whining, I’m treating that as a ‘disgusting embarrassment’ and shared it. Well, I don’t mean to blame Konoha-san in the least bit. Uh, so, it would be great if you can keep yourself from mentioning this to her.”

“…Alright…”

“Glad to hear that…Yeah, so that’s what happened. I also thought that it’s not necessary to get the Star Dragon Novajak and went onto the bus. In the end, after I talked about it with my little brother, I changed my mind for a bit…I think that’s not the right thing to do.”

“That’s not the right thing to do…What do you mean by that?”

Upon hearing my question, Keita scratched his face and answered embarrassingly.

“Even though Konoha-san doesn’t think that I’m important to her, to me, Konoha-san is still…No, Mono is still my treasured partner. The times that we’ve played together will remain a beautiful memory, no matter what. That’s the thought I had after changing my mind.”

“!”

Why, why is this person always messing with my heart that easily…

Keita continued as if he’s trying to stay on topic.

“Ah, but coming here alone to get a boss from my memory, I still think this feels pretty girly judging from the action alone. Ugh.”

After he mumbled like that, he directly laid down to the back of the chair.

Then…

“Uwah! Chiaki lay down with me! There’s a lot of stars!”

“Eh? Ah, alright, I’ll lie down as well.”

I followed Keita and laid down my body to the back of the chair, and then I looked at the sky. Indeed, …the stars are sparkling that makes you feel that you’re in a dream no matter how many times you’ve watched it.

“…It’s beautiful…”

Once I snapped out of it, I’m already praising it without noticing.

(Jeez, I’m surely innocent as well…)

I was just feeling distraught just then. However, when I’m looking at the starry sky with Keita…the person I love, I’m so blessed that I threw all those things to the back of my head.

Keita’s still watching the stars next to me as he asked.

“By the way, Chiaki, why are you here all alone? Do you like watching the stars?”

“Eh? Ah…”

Although I hesitated for a bit, …I immediately answered with confidence.

“Yeah. I love it…I love it to the point that I wish I can just lie down and stare at it forever.”

Right now, I sincerely wished that was true. Keita mumbled. “Really.”

“While it’s been a long time since I can watch the stars like this, …hmm, I guess it’s not too bad to do this sometimes.”

“See, the stars are great, right?”

“Yep.”

The two of us just looked at the sky for nearly a minute…What a blessed moment.

However, Keita still seems to be Keita wherever he goes.

“…I still think this is boring. While the starry sky is fascinating, I hope that I can watch it while playing games.”

“Hoho, what was that. Jeez, you’re terrible.”

“Don’t you feel the same way?”

“I’m a mature adult, so I won’t feel bored at all. Moreover, I need time for my ideas to sink in when creating.”

Keita burst into laughter after I said that. Ugh.

“Haha, it’s not your style to look at the night sky for ideas. For example, the Peony Cake Eater…”

“I-It’s not like that! As long as I wished for it, I can also write something that will go down in the history of the entire universe…! Ah, speaking of the universe, did you get Star Hero 5 in the end?”

“Ah, right, this reminded me of that game! Actually, I finished it in one go right after I got it. Sigh, it’s because I knew beforehand that the ratings for it are pretty low, so I’m quite worried about playing it…In the end, I think it’s alright! It’s fun!”

“Ah, exactly. I’m not a fan of the series, but I still had a good time. I like the refreshing battles, and the degree of completion is really high.”

“Yeah! Ay, in reality, the experience system is-“

Just like that, we chatted about gaming excited as we stared at the beautiful night sky.

To be honest, there’s nothing romantic about it. In a sense, we’re literally spoiling the incredible scenery and are just killing time.

However-

To me, this moment is so blessed that I broke into tears.

Then, after the game talk ended, Keita still stared at the sky as he spoke up a bit respectfully. “Ah, right.”

“Thank you, Chiaki.”

“Hmm? W-Why are you suddenly thanking me?”

Being thanked by my rival Keita, this scenery is too rare. I can’t help but look to the side. After that…

(Uh…)

Keita’s face is really close to me. I freaked out and blushed really hard before immediately staring back at the sky.

He doesn’t seem to mind what I just did, so he continued.

“First of all, it’s about what happened today at noon. I just realized…did you suggest us to have a break because you noticed that I’m not feeling well?”

“Ah? W-Well…”

I acted normally before giving the boy a mischievous smile and answered.

“That’s why I hate a self-conscious bean sprout midget like you. It’s just because I’m hungry. Moreover, we’ll have to take a break sooner or later since it’s lunchtime, so even if I care about you, there’s no reason for you to thank me.”

“…Really. Oh, …hmm, glad to hear that.”

Keita mumbled softly, and then he continued.

“However, there’s something else that I have to thank you for.”

“What’s wrong? Is today your transformation from the tsun-tsun phase to the dere-dere phase?”

“Ay, sometimes.”

I can feel that Keita’s smiling bitterly next to me…I’m really calm right now.

“…Hey, didn’t I confess to Tendou-san in front of everyone a while ago?”

“…Yeah.”

I remembered what it was like back then, …it’s supposed to be painful to witness someone I love confessing to another girl. However, unbelievably, I’m not repulsive to Keita’s confession scene. Instead, I can feel warmth flowing in my chest when I thought about him at that time.

(Also, that’s why…today, I came here alone and try to “give up” and end my love…)

I thought about that as I slightly closed my eyes.

After a short silence, Keita leads the discussion again.

“I feel like…I would have never done that if it was me in the past. No, instead of saying me in the past, I think it’s better to say the original me, right?”

“…You can’t do that normally.”

Like right now, …even though I’m alone with you, and you’re next to me. I still can’t say anything.

I slowly opened my eyes and pondered about it.

When did I got left behind by Keita? Why?

“…Sigh.”

I can’t help but let out a hopeless sigh.

But Keita didn’t seem to notice this, …he continued and said something I wasn’t expecting.

“However, the reason why I’m brave enough to do that is because of you.”

“…Eh?”

Upon hearing those surprising words, I looked at Keita’s face again.

The starry sky is reflecting off his eyes as he told me.

“I mentioned this to you before, right? I don’t know whether it’s under Tendou-san’s influence, recently, I started to think that perhaps it’s not a bad thing for me to go all-out.”

“Ah, yes, I remembered that.”

“That time…At that moment, I thought that I’m completely influenced by Tendou-san’s gaming perspective. However, recently, I discovered that there’s another critical factor.”

My heart is pounding faster and faster after I heard what he just said.

“Well, …uh, and that critical factor, is me?”

“Yep, you’re right.”

Keita replied quickly and continued.

“Think about it, the only reason that we know each other is because I was basically trying to strike up a conversation with you back then, right?

“Yeah…That’s not something you would do, no matter how I think about it.”

“Exactly. I don’t remember how painful my stomach was…”

“Haha, I can imagine that.”

I would probably be the same if I was him.

Keita slowly reached his head into the sky.

“…However, putting all the moe conflicts aside, …in the end, we’re still like this. Uh, how should I put it, we’re frie- …No, …we’re getting clos- …That’s not right, either…Ah, right, didn’t we become g-gaming buddies?”

At the last moment of hesitation, he brought up the term “gaming buddies” to describe our relationship. Then, he quickly skipped this topic.

I chuckled, and Keita cleared his throat.

“That perhaps…made me really happy, and I’m proud of you.”

“You’re saying that…you’re proud of me?”

“Yep. After all, the person that I mustered my courage to try to talk with is still now chatting about gaming with me. Come to think of it, this is a great achievement. Also, I’m finally getting more passionate about ‘going out and try things’ because of my first success. I guess a part of me still view it that way.”

“…Keita.”

After I looked at him, …suddenly, Keita turned his face to me as well. He made eye contact with me before smiling.

“So, thank you, Chiaki. Thank you for willing to…uh, become friends with me.”

“…………”

I felt speechless, all I could do is to look at his eyes.

Keita…I…I also…

Then.

“Hey, time’s almost up, Chiaki.”

“Eh?”

Keita suddenly let out a “hey” before standing up from the back of the chair. After that, he took his phone out and clicked on the screen.

“Indeed, there are only 15 minutes before my bus arrives. It’s time for us to go down.”

“Ah, y-you’re right.”

I checked the time on my phone after I hastily stood up…Then, I suddenly remembered.

“Ah. R-Right, I still haven’t got the boss here.”

I glanced at Keita to confirm. He seems to have already received it before meeting up with me, and even rising from the bench and let out a “phew” as he stretched his back.

I secretly changed the position I sat and hid my phone away from him.

(I exchanged my phone with Konoha during the day…so it’s quite troublesome if he saw it.”

Although we got the same phone cases beforehand to prevent people from realizing that we exchanged our phones, …it’s still in my interest for Keita to not know it.

(At least, I hope that the information from this boss fight…will be saved in my phone…)

I opened GOM Search and smiling faintly when I saw the boss, and then I quickly clicked the screen to acquire the character.

At this moment, a notification popped out on the screen…I’m in haste, so I clicked on it before even reading the content.

The screen changed. It shows that…

(…Ah, the detailed records of the boss fights in the past.)

It showed which date and when did we battle, what did we get, and…which player did we cooperate with.

I can’t help but scroll down the screen in a rush of nostalgia. So, when the bottom of the screen, …which is the first record of the boss fight is showing.

“What’s wrong, Chiaki? We’re going?”

“Hiya.”

I freaked out since someone spoke to me from behind, just as I’m standing up abruptly…

“Ah.”

My phone slipped off. However…

“Oops.”

Keita caught it brilliantly and prevented the phone from falling onto the ground. After I pressed my chest in relief, Keita started looking at the screen of my phone.

“Eh? GOM?”

“It’s nothing, that’s-“

I quickly tried to take my phone back. However, perhaps it’s because I’ve been lying down to see the starry sky up until a moment ago, I felt dizzy from standing up too fast, and I missed. Although I quickly recovered from it, Keita’s already- finished reading the text shown on the GOM Search screen.

“…Hmm? It says that the player you’re cooperating with is Tsucchi…? Eh?”

“Hiya! It’s not, well, uh, that’s…”

Keita raised his head from the screen with an unbelievable look. As for me, …I first robbed my phone back from his hand before freaking out and looking away.

T-Think about this…I need to think about this as quickly as possible! I’m the best at overcoming difficult situations like this, yes!

…Uh, uh, uh…!

Yes, let’s go with that!

As usual, I quickly thought of a good idea and told him immediately.

“T-This is Konoha’s phone. S-She requested me…”

“Eh? It’s Konoha-san’s request? Getting this boss from the multiplayer battle?”

“Yes! Jeez, K-Konoha’s undoubtedly a headache, though! I can’t believe she asked her sister to run errands for her just because she got her own schedule…”

Just as I’m saying that with a smug face, I suddenly realized…Keita’s face is decorated with a bright smile.

He’s mumbling as if he’s delighted to the bottom of his heart.

“R-Really. Konoha-san still remembers…this boss.”

“…………”

At the moment that I saw his smile.

I feel like something has been lifted off my chest.

“…I-It’s not like that.”

“…Eh?”

Keita tilted his head in confusion over my sudden words.

I lowered my head and grabbed my phone tightly as I continued.

“This…isn’t…Konoha’s phone…”

“Eh? Uh, but that’s Mono’s game record, no matter how you look at it…”

Keita froze since he can’t understand what’s happening at all.

To him, I…I…

“!”

“…Chiaki?”

I raised my head and looked at him with my eyes full of years. After that, I shouted loudly.

“The fight with the Star Dragon Novajak is really memorable for both of us! However, if we’re talking about the history of our alliance, we must mention the following battle with the Ghost God Bolger! After all, we were wrecked so hard from start to finish! We put even more time into GOM because we’re unwilling to admit defeat there! So, we acted as if we’re sharing the same brain at the following multiplayer battle, The Attack of the Four Legendary Beasts! I had a great time there!”

“Chiaki…? How did you…know all of that…? Ah, did you hear that from Konoha-san…No, even if that’s true, you’re way too familiar…”

Keita was shocked by that. As for me, …I continued.

“However, the most memorable event for me…is still the rescue mission with a harsh time limit…in this year’s spring. That was my first time…to send a message to you…I managed to send it after I mustered my entire life’s courage.”

“…Don’t tell me…”

Keita seems to be finally understanding what’s going on.

I made up my mind…and put my hands behind me as I gave Keita a sincerely gratifying smile.

“Thanks for everything.”

“You’re…Mono…?”

Keita pointed at me tremblingly.

After I nodded my head, he…

He froze with his mouth half-open and just stared at me.

Although I can’t help but laugh at his reaction…

But if I’m in this phase already, I might as well tell him everything.

“Also, well, …I’m NOBE as well.”

“…Huh?”

“Uh, so, …how should I put this…Well, …you always thought that Konoha is your ‘online friend.’ In reality, it was me all along…Well, …I accidentally lied to you because I’m too embarrassed…”

“…………”

Keita lost all of his expressions and fell speechless. He even sat back onto the bench out of fatigue.

(I think…he’s angry, right?)

Of course, he should be angry. After all, I’ve always lied to him, not to mention that this is something essential.

(I guess it can’t be helped even if he got mad…or reject me.”

However, I’m mentally prepared for his rage. Even though I know this might happen, …I still wanted to confess my true identity and my feelings, no matter what. I don’t feel regretful saying that. But even though I didn’t regret anything…

“Really. So, that’s the case…My online friend is you, instead of Konoha-san. I got it...”

“W-Well, …Keita? Uh, …I wanted to tell you that I’m sorry…”

Keita’s seemingly mumbling out of his depression as he’s sitting down. I peeked and looked at him with a face full of worry.

(He’s furious, …right?)

My heart is pounding really hard as I observed Keita’s look…So, he slowly raised his head.

“Chiaki, if what you said is true…”

“!”

I immediately stopped moving. I’m already prepared for the boy to be mad at me!

Just as I’m confirming his expression tremblingly while squinting my eyes.

His…his face-

-is filled with an unexpected, yet gentle smile.

“Ahaha, I think I understand everything now. Really, that made sense. Ay, I’ve been suspicious. After all, Konoha-san doesn’t look like the type to create free games at all.”

Keita burst into laughter sincerely after he said that.

I felt dazed and asked him once more.

“Keita, uh, …you’re not mad?”

“Eh? Ah, …hmm, honestly, I’m more or less surprised…”

“R-Right. So, Keita, you should be angrier if that’s the case-“

He heard what I said.

Keita stood up from the bench and faced me with a bright smile.

“However, I think ‘excitement’ is overflowing in my heart right now.”

“…………”

His words …and his innocent smile. It made me took a deep breath.

My heart is beating so fast.

Keita continued.

“After all, that means that my partner Mono came here because she shared the same feelings as I do, right? There’s nothing in the world that can make me happier than this. Isn’t this reasonable?”

“…………”

Even though I heartlessly hid everything from him.

Even though I heartlessly lied to him.

He…didn’t care any of that. Instead, his face is only showing nothing but joy at me.

(Keita…I…I)

There’s something in my heart that’s about to overflow.

So, there’s some kind of emotion swelling rapidly inside my heart.

Suddenly, Keita straightened his back respectfully and wiped his right hand on his jeans forcefully.



“?”

Comparing to me, who’s tilted her head out of confusion.

Keita…reached his head out to me with a slightly embarrassed look.

“H-Hello, NOBE! I’ve always been a big fan of you!”

(-Ahhhh.)

Suddenly.

In my heart, …the path leading to my “true feelings” that was blinded with a complex web of lies and excuses previously.

Right now, I can already feel that path is completely clear.

(…Yeah, that’s right. If that’s the case, …all I can do is to step forward, right. Just like what happened to Keita. To me, …that’s the only proper way to end this.)

I silently put my hand on my chest as I bit my lips…I didn’t shake his hand as NOBE, all I’m doing is facing the ground.

“Chiaki?”

Keita’s hand is still there. He blinked his eyes confusingly.

I just kept my head down as I told him.

“Keita, there’s…there’s nothing else that I wanted to tell you today.”

My words made Keita put back his hand as he let out a dumbfounded sigh.

“What’s with the formal tone. Don’t tell me there’s something you’re hiding from me as well? Alright, say it. At this point, I’m confident that I won’t freak out even if you tell me that you’re actually an alien-“

Just as Keita’s joking around like that.

I can feel my cheeks’ slightly flaring up. My eyes are filled with determination as I raised my head-

Keita, who’s looking at me and holding his breath for no reason.

Under the starry sky.

I puffed up my chest and announced to him with a top-tier smile, devoid of haze.

“Keita. I…I really love you.”




[End of Vol.6]



No comments:

Post a Comment