Monday, June 17, 2024

Since I've Entered the World of Romantic Comedy Manga, I'll Do My Best to Make the Losing Heroine Happy V3 Chapter 2

Chapter 2: The Start of Summer, Sei and Rie


Translator: Pingas
Editor: Suu

As June arrived, the season has practically shifted to summer, bringing with it noticeably warmer days.

Though it isn't quite the height of summer yet, the weather is warm enough for short sleeves.

The school also transitioned to summer uniforms as well.

Well, that essentially just means we can ditch the blazers.

Even with this minor change, it's hard not to steal glances at Sei-chan, who's walking beside me right now.

She wears a white short-sleeved shirt with a red tie paired with a black skirt that reaches just above her knees.

…Yep, summer uniforms are the best!

"What's wrong? You keep staring at me like that."

"I was just thinking that you look adorable in your summer uniform."

"...I see. Thank you."

Sei-chan responded, seemingly more accustomed to my compliments, as she thanked me without any hint of fluster.

However, her ears are turning red, which is just adorable.

"Your skirt looks great, but do you wear those with your casual clothes, Sei-chan?"

"Hardly ever. There was a time when Shiho made me try one on while shopping, and I ended up buying it in the heat of the moment."

"Ah, I see."

I recalled a similar scene from the original story.

In the manga, I had seen Sei-chan wearing a skirt in her casual clothes, but seeing her wear one in real life would be even better.

"Do you think it's possible for you to wear one for our date sometime?"

"...Uh, well, if you're asking me if it's possible or not, then yes, it's…possible."

"No rush. Just someday."

"Yeah, someday…"

As we walked to school, I couldn't help but think how cute she looked when she was embarrassed.

During lunch, our usual group of five gathered to eat.

"Here, Yuuichi, I made lunch for you again."

"Oh, thanks, Kaori."

"I made something for you too!"

"Thanks, Fujise. But isn't it hard for you to do this every day?"

"No, it's fine. I think of it as bridal training, so it's fun!" 

"Ara, Fujise-san, if it's bridal training, you should make it for someone else instead of him. You won't be able to make him your husband, after all."

"I've been making it for my future husband, and I'm already giving it to a candidate, so it's fine. Tojoin-san, shouldn't you be looking for your future husband, too? I don't think Shigemoto-kun will be an option."

"Hehehe…"

"Ahaha…"

"...Hey, I say this every day, but can't we eat more peacefully?"

Yuuichi always seems to be caught between their exchanges, and while it might be tough, being liked by two of the school's most beautiful girls might make it worth it.

Sei-chan and I ate our lunch peacefully, watching the show unfold in front of us.

However, listening to Tojoin-san's way of speaking sometimes brought back memories of that day in the cafe.

"Yuuichi, you need to eat this too. It's my masterpiece. It's made with premium meat that ordinary people can't get, so make sure you savor it properly."

...That reminds me of the time Sei-chan went undercover at the cafe.

She was imitating Tojoin-san's manner of speaking.

It was hilarious and adorable. Just thinking about it made me grin like an idiot.

"Hey, Hisamura, what are you grinning about?"

"Huh? Oh, it's nothing, Shimada."

"Really? You were grinning like that during lunch the other day, too..."

Tojoin-san is in a different class, so I only get to hear her talk during lunch breaks.

That's how those funny memories are brought back.

"It's really nothing."

"...You sure?"

"...Well, it's not nothing, but you'll probably get mad if I tell you."

"Me? Get mad? Now I'm even more curious."

"Uh, maybe it's better to tell you later..."

I lowered my voice, ensuring no one around could hear us.

"I'll tell you when we walk home together."

"A-Ahh, yeah, sure. So, you don't have work today?"

"Nope."

"Alright then, let's walk home together."

Yes, finally, I get to walk home with Sei-chan again.

…But I'll have to explain why I was grinning. She'll definitely be angry.

"Speaking of which, finals are coming up soon."

Fujise, who's sitting at the front, brings up a new topic.

"...Ugh, I hate exams. I just want to play basketball all day."

"You aren't good at studying, after all."

"School would be perfect without exams."

"That wouldn't really be a school anymore, Shigemoto-kun."

I can't agree more with Fujise.

While I'm not as bad as Yuuichi, studying isn't my strong suit either.

"Ara, Yuuichi. You have the smartest high school student in the school, no, the world, sitting next to you. I shall tutor you personally."

She might be the top student in the school, but the world? That's a stretch.

She's possibly the best in Japan, though.

"Please do, Kaori-sama."

"Absolutely. Leave it to me, but I want a reward in return."

"As long as it's something I can do."

"I want your baby, Yuuichi."

"No."

Woah, that escalated quickly.

"Hmph, Shigemoto-kun, I can help you study as well, you know!"

"Seriously? That would be awesome."

"Ara, Fujise-san. Are you saying you can teach Yuuichi better than someone who scores perfect marks in all subjects? Let me tell you. He's dumber than you can ever imagine. Do you really think you can save him from failing?"

"I may not be as perfect as you, but I'm good at studying, and I love teaching! No matter how dumb Shigemoto-kun is, I will make sure he understands everything!"

"Look, you're not wrong, but can you both stop insulting me while you argue?"

Yuuichi may be hopeless on his own, but he should be okay with Fujise and Tojoin-san's help.

I probably won't fail either, but my grades won't look nice unless I get some help.

Luckily, I have Sei-chan, who is always in the top ranks of our grade.

Maybe I'll ask her to study with me on the way home.

*

After school, we met up on the way home once most of the other students had left.

"So, what was so funny during lunch?"

"Ah, well, hearing Tojoin-san talk reminded me of that time when you…"

"Huh!? S-Stop thinking about that! It was so embarrassing!"

Sei-chan exclaimed, her face turning red.

"Dammit, why did I have to imitate her out of all people…"

After that incident, Sei-chan started blushing whenever Tojoin-san talked to her as she remembered that embarrassing moment.

"Shimada-san? Why does your face turn red whenever we talk? It's not like I'm happy that you might have a crush on me or anything."

"That's not it. Tojoin, can you change the way you talk…?"

"Ha? What are you talking about?"

"...Never mind. Just don't talk to me for a while."

"I only joked about you having a crush on me. Why did you have to reject me so harshly?"

Remembering such conversations makes me smile again.

"...Tsukasa, are you thinking about it again?"

"Sorry, Sei-chan. I'll try not to remember it, or at least not let you notice when I do…"

"...Ugh, yeah, please at least do that."

I made a mental note to train my facial muscles to avoid grinning whenever I recall that moment.

We then heard a voice calling out from behind as we walked.

"Onii-chan, Sei-san."

"Oh, Rie. You heading home too?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

Rie approached us with her bicycle.

Rie had been the class monitor today, so she left for school earlier than us this morning.

"Want to walk home with us?"

"Can I?"

She glanced at Sei-chan, seeking her approval.

"Of course, I would love to walk home with you."

"...Yeah, I'll join then."

And so, the three of us walked home together.

I took Rie's bicycle and pushed it along.

It's rare for the three of us to walk to school together, and this might be the first time we are heading home together.

"The finals are coming up. How's your studying going, Rie?"

Sei-chan asked her.

"I'm not that great at it, so I usually get just above average."

"That's pretty good already, right?"

"That's just because onii-chan here always scores below average, right?"

"...Ugh, no, well, at least I didn't fail."

"Isn't that the bare minimum?"

Rie was a bit shocked at what I said.

She's not wrong, but we have a certain MC who barely scrapes by without failing in our class.

"Hey, Sei-chan, could you help me study next time?"

"Me? Sure, I would be happy to help, but I'm not that great at teaching."

"Sei-san, are you smart?"

"She's always in the top 10 of our grade, you know?"

"Eh, that's amazing!"

Sei-chan smiled, looking a bit bashful at Rie's pure surprise and praise.

"Well, it's not like I'm particularly good at studying, but I don't dislike it. I just spend a lot of time on it."

"No, no, that's really impressive. Uh, if it's not too much trouble, could you help me study too?"

"Yeah, sure thing."

So, our little study session with Sei-chan now includes Rie as well.

"Where should we do this? At a cafe or something?"

"But cafes can be pretty noisy, and it might be hard to find a spot."

"You're right. So, where then?"

Rie suddenly had an idea when we were pondering.

"How about our place then, onii-chan?"

"Eh, our house?"

"Yeah, why not? There's no problem, right?"

"Well, I guess our house is okay..."

Sei-chan's coming to our house for a study session, huh?

"Are you fine with that, Sei-chan?"

"A-Ahh, yeah. I'm fine if you two have no problem with it."

"...I see. Yep, let's do it then."

So, it's decided that we will be having a study session at home.

…I feel kind of nervous.

*

They decided to have a study session at Tsukasa's house, and without much delay, the three headed straight there.

Sei is feeling a bit nervous, causing her to become quieter than usual.

(I can't believe I'm actually going to Tsukasa's house...! Is it really okay to go to your boyfriend's home this soon after you started to date? But Rie will be there too, so it should be fine...)

The decision had been made so quickly that she hadn't had time to prepare herself mentally.

Sei's thoughts are still in disarray when they arrive at Tsukasa's house.

The house is an ordinary single-family home, the kind that makes it easy to imagine Tsukasa and Rie living their everyday lives there.

(Wait, what if Tsukasa and Rie's parents are home? …I need to make sure to greet them properly. Should I introduce myself as his g-girlfriend? Uwah, saying something that embarrassing is too much...!)

Sei's face turned bright red with anxiety while she was lost in those thoughts.

"Our parents are at work and won't be back until late tonight, Sei-chan."

"A-Ah, I see."

Sei replied, feeling relieved as Tsukasa seemed to understand her inner thoughts.

Following Tsukasa and Rie inside, Sei was led to the living room.

(So this is where Tsukasa lives, huh? It smells a bit like him, too…)

"Sei-chan, do you want something to drink?"

"Fueh!? R-Right. What do you have?"

"Tea, coffee, and orange juice."

"I'll have some orange juice, please."

"Alright, please take a seat."

"Thank you, Tsukasa."

Sei sat at the living room table, her face reddening again as she realized she had been thinking about embarrassing things.

(I-I need to stop thinking like this. Right, I should just imagine I'm here at Rie's house instead of Tsukasa's.)

While Tsukasa was getting the drinks, Rie took a seat in front of Sei.

"Sei-san, thank you for helping us today."

"Ahh, no problem. I'm not very experienced at teaching, so I might be a bit clumsy."

"No, just having your help means a lot. High school studies are really tough, and I didn't do as well as I had hoped on the midterms."

"Yes, high school work does seem more challenging compared to middle school."

As Sei and Rie chatted, they spread out their study materials on the table.

Tsukasa returned with the drinks and took a seat next to Sei.

Just as they were about to start studying, Tsukasa's phone rang.

"Ah, sorry."

Tsukasa said, checking the caller ID with a puzzled look.

"Tobise-san?"

Answering the call with a "Hello", Tsukasa stepped away, continuing the conversation.

Sei twitched slightly upon hearing the name.

Rie, unfamiliar with the name, tilted her head in curiosity.

"Who is onii-chan talking to?"

"Tobise-san. It's his senpai at work."

"Ah, really? I didn't know that."

After a few moments, Tsukasa turned back to Sei and Rie while still on the phone.

"Sei-chan, Rie, I need to head to work."

"Eh, why?"

"Tobise-san's little brother is sick. She needs to stay home to take care of him."

According to Tsukasa, Marino Tobise has three younger siblings, and one of them, a kindergartener, has fallen ill. She had to go pick him up and take care of him at home.

"I see. That can't be helped."

Tobise's voice can be heard from the phone.

"Oh, is Sei-chan there too? Did I interrupt your time together?"

"It's not just the two of us. My little sister is here too."

"Eh? You have a sister, Tsukasa-kun? I would love to meet her! So today was a home date for the three of you?"

"H-Home date…!?"

Rie reacted to the term for some reason while Tsukasa continued.

"We were just having a study session at home. Anyway, it's about time for my shift, so I need to get going, right?"

"Ah, that's right! I'm really sorry, Tsukasa-kun. I'll definitely make it up to you!"

"It's fine. We help each other out in times like these."

"Thank you so much! Sei-chan, I'm sorry for taking away your time with Tsukasa-kun."

"It's okay. Really."

Ending the call, Tsukasa started getting ready for work.

Sei and Rie followed him to the entrance to see him off.

"Sorry, Sei-chan. Even though you just got here."

"It's not your fault, Tsukasa. And it's not Tobise-san's fault either. It's just how things are sometimes."

"Thanks. Could you continue the study session with Rie?"

"I'm fine with that, but Rie, are you okay with it?"

"Of course. I would love to have you teach me, Sei-san."

With that settled, Tsukasa prepared to leave for his shift while Sei stayed to study with Rie.

"Thank you, Sei-chan."

"Do your best at work, Tsukasa."

"I will. Make sure you study a lot, Rie."

"Got it. Take care, onii-chan."

Following the usual sibling exchange, Sei felt a bit nervous but joined in.

"H-Have a safe trip, Tsukasa."

"...T-Thank you, Sei-chan."

Both Sei and Tsukasa blushed, embarrassed by their affectionate farewells.

And then, Tsukasa walked out the door.

(Uwah, what was that just now? Not saying anything would have been awkward, but saying it was even more embarrassing. It feels more like we're a married couple than lovers…!)

After Tsukasa left, Sei sat there squirming slightly at the thought.

Rie, who had been watching Sei from the side, looked at her with a slightly cold expression.

"...Sei-san, are you okay?"

"Huh!? Y-Yeah, uh, what's wrong?"

Sei quickly tried to cover up her embarrassment when she realized Rie was there, but it was too late.

"...No, it's nothing."

"...Well, it's nice of you to worry, Rie, but your reaction is actually making me even more embarrassed."

"Sei-san, isn't it your fault for flirting with onii-chan while I'm here?"

"I can't say anything…"

By the way, thanks to Sei's "take care", Tsukasa got ultra-motivated and performed exceptionally well at work.

After Tsukasa left for his part-time job, Rie and Sei returned to the living room to start studying. 

Initially, the atmosphere was a bit awkward, lingering from Sei and Tsukasa's lovey-dovey exchange, but it quickly dissipated once they began to focus on their studies.

Both are very serious about their work and concentrate hard on studying.

They sat across from each other, continuing their studies until Rie paused.

"...Sei-san, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding this part..."

"Hmm? Ah, which part?"

Rie turned the textbook around to show Sei, but Sei stood up instead.

"It would be easier to teach you if we sit next to each other now that Tsukasa's gone."

"Oh, right. Thank you."

Sei moved to sit beside Rie, pulling her chair closer to see the textbook.

"Ohh, a math question, huh? Yeah, this part does seem tricky."

"Is math difficult for you too, Sei-san?"

"No, I don't have any particular subject I'm bad at. If I had to choose, I would say I prefer solving problems like in math over subjects that require me to memorize a bunch of stuff."

"I-I see."

Rie felt a bit overwhelmed by Sei's different approach.

However, Sei then proceeded to teach her how to solve the math problems and apply the concepts.

"Does this make sense now?"

"Yeah, it's very clear. Thank you so much."

With Sei's excellent teaching skills, Rie quickly understood and was able to solve the problems.

"Sei-san, you're really amazing at studying too."

"Like I said earlier, it's not that I'm particularly good at it. I just spend a lot of time studying, so anyone could do this if they put in the effort."

"No, no, that's a bit of an exaggeration. And you're good at sports, too, right?"

"Well, somewhat."

"I know you are. I heard you were amazing during the sports festival."

The sports festival is held on different days for each grade, so students from other grades don't get to watch it.

Despite that, Rie knew about Sei's performance.

"...Who told you that- no, it has to be Tsukasa, right?"

"Yes, he went on for over an hour describing your amazing performance."

Rie recalled with a slightly exasperated expression.

"S-Sorry about that, Rie."

"No, it's not your fault, Sei-san. I was happy to hear about your accomplishments. It's just that my brother talked a bit too much."

"Seriously, Tsukasa..."

Sei is dumbfounded as well, but there's a tinge of a smile on her face.

"...You seem kind of happy, Sei-san."

"Eh? N-No, that's not it at all..."

Sei averted her gaze as if Rie's observation had hit the mark.

"Sei-san, you actually show your emotions quite clearly."

"D-Do I? But you don't seem to show much, Rie. You're completely different from Tsukasa."

"My brother is just too expressive."

"True, Tsukasa shows his feelings way too openly. I've had my share of troubles because of that."

"Really?"

"Yes, for example..."

Sei began sharing stories about Tsukasa.

However, as the story progressed, Rie's expression grew more and more gloomy.

After finishing, Rie asked with a weary expression.

"...So basically, you were embarrassed because my brother kept calling you 'cute' in a cafe, and an elderly couple gave you two a warm smile after overhearing it?"

"Yes, exactly. That guy really needs to think about the time and place."

Although Sei spoke with a slightly annoyed tone, her cheeks were flushed, and she seemed somewhat pleased.

"...Hey, why am I listening to you showing off again?"

"I-I wasn't bragging! I was just trying to vent about Tsukasa."

"You're way too love-struck if you seriously think that's venting."

"R-Really!?"

"But I do understand why my brother finds you so cute."

"Ugh, I wasn't trying to make you understand that..."

Sei blushed even more, feeling increasingly embarrassed.

Rie realizes just how endearing Sei is as she gets to know her better.

(Onii-chan mentioned how popular Sei-san is with other girls, and I totally get it now.)

From Rie's perspective, Sei has all the qualities that would make her well-liked by guys and girls.

This led Rie to ask about something she was curious about.

"Sei-san, can I ask you a question?"

"Hm? What is it? Is it about another subject..."

"What do you like about my brother?"

"...Eh!?"

Sei, expecting a question about studies, was taken aback and let out a surprised sound.

"W-Why are you asking that all of a sudden?"

"Sorry, I was just curious. Sei-san, you're gorgeous and cute, plus you have a kind and cool personality. You must be very popular, right?"

"T-That's a bit embarrassing to hear so bluntly..."

"But my brother praises you even more than this, doesn't he?"

"...No comment."

Blushing furiously, Sei's refusal to comment is enough of an answer, but that isn't what Rie is focusing on right now.

"Objectively, you must be very popular, Sei-san."

"I don't know about that…"

"Haven't you been confessed to by boys multiple times?"

"No boy confessed to me before Tsukasa."

"...I've been confessed to by girls a few times, though."

"I see. That's impressive..."

Sei being popular with women isn't surprising, but hearing she has been confessed to by them is unexpected.

"Is my brother the first person you've dated?"

"Yes, I've never confessed to anyone myself, and I never accepted the confessions from other girls."

The first person Sei has ever dated is Rie's brother, Tsukasa Hisamura.

"Why did you start dating my brother? You've never dated anyone before, right?"

"Ugh, you really want to know that, huh?"

From a woman's perspective, Sei is incredibly attractive and undoubtedly popular with guys, too.

Her looks are exceptional, and her figure is amazing.

Rie, sitting next to Sei, realized that wearing the same uniform highlighted how different their bust sizes were.

(...They are huge. Well, it's not like I'm small or anything, and I'm still growing. I just went up a bra size recently.)

Seeing Sei's chest up close made Rie think about her own.

"So, why did you start dating my brother? Honestly, my brother doesn't have looks that match yours, and his build isn't as good as his friend Yuuichi's."

"...Rie, do you hate Tsukasa?"

"Eh, me?"

"...Yeah, you're giving off that feeling. But it's not unusual. It's pretty common for brothers and sisters around your age."

Sei, understanding the feeling of having a brother herself, is about to elaborate.

"No, that's not it! I don't hate onii-chan!"

"Is that so?"

"Yes, if I disliked him, I wouldn't be studying with him or walking to school together."

"...Hehe, I see. That's good to hear."

"...Ah, uh, yes."

Rie hurriedly denied it, and now it was her turn to blush.

Sei watched her warmly.

"It's great to see siblings getting along. Seeing you two made my worries seem silly."

"We're not that close..."

"Hehe, really? Well, if you say so, I won't argue."

"Ugh…"

Rie was embarrassed, and Sei smiled, feeling the tables had turned.

But Rie still hasn't gotten her answer and isn't ready to give up.

"Anyway! Why did you start dating onii-chan, Sei-san? What do you like about him?"

"...You know Tsukasa's good points. Do I really need to say it?"

"Yes, even if our opinions are the same, I want to hear it from you."

"Ugh, I guess I can't dodge this one, huh..."

Sei attempted to make Rie embarrassed and thus avoid the subject, but failed.

"What I like about him, huh…? It's embarrassing to say it out loud."

"Don't you talk about this with others? Shiho-san seems like she would love talking about romance."

"I do talk with Shiho, but she usually talks about herself. But lately, we've started talking about me a bit more ever since I started dating."

"...Sei-san, you look adorable when you're embarrassed."

"P-Please don't say things that Tsukasa would say."

"Ah, so onii-chan says that to you, too."

Realizing she had misspoken again, Sei tried to steer the conversation back while blushing.

"S-so, what I like about Tsukasa, right?  …Let's see.  First, his straightforwardness."

"What do you mean by straightforwardness? In what way?"

"He always expresses his feelings openly. It's both a good and bad thing…"

"It's a bad thing?"

"Yes, because he sometimes says things without considering the situation. I would appreciate it if he could tone it down a bit..."

"So, you want him to save those comments for when you're alone because you're embarrassed?"

"T-That's one way to put it, but do you have to spell it out like that!?"

Sei shouted without thinking but then remembered she was talking to Rie, not Shiho or Tojoin, and quickly apologized.

"Ah, sorry for shouting."

"No, it's fine. Actually, I feel closer to you when you're comfortable enough to react that way."

"R-Really?"

In response to Sei's concern, Rie nodded with a slight smile.

"Okay. So, what else do you like about onii-chan?"

"Y-You're still asking?"

"Of course, you've only mentioned one thing so far. Or is that the only thing you like about him?"

"...That's not it. Another thing is his kindness and attentiveness. He supports me when I'm overdoing it and notices right away if I'm upset."

"Can you give an example? Just anything you're comfortable sharing."

"The way you said that makes it sound like Tsukasa and I do things we can't talk about..."

"No, if you're not embarrassed, you can share everything."

"...That's impossible. Not that we do anything embarrassing."

(...Her face is beet red, and she looks really embarrassed. What a cute girl, Sei-san.)

Rie didn't say her thoughts out loud.

"For example, I was exhausted from all the activity when we went to a sports facility before, and Tsukasa offered to walk me home. He even bought me a sports drink without me noticing."

"I see."

"Yeah, he walks me home often. He says he wants to spend more time with me- forget I said that…"

"No, I heard that. It's just more of your usual bragging."

"Ugh..."

"It's okay. You can brag all you want right now. In fact, that's what I'm asking for."

"Even if you're okay with it, I'm not."

Sei's face reddened even more while Rie smiled slightly.

"That's enough for now. Come on, we should get back to studying."

"I haven't heard enough yet, but okay. I'll ask you again if I don't understand something."

"Sure, ask me anything."

"What if I ask you to show off more?"

"I won't say anything then."

Rie looked a bit disappointed but soon refocused on her studies.

Both of them were serious and concentrated quietly on their work for a long time.

After a while, Rie stretched and glanced at the clock on the wall.

"Oh, it's 6:30 PM already."

"That late already? We've been studying for quite a while."

"Yes, and onii-chan still isn't back yet. Ah, he texted me. He says he'll be late, and we should eat without him."

"I see. Then I should be heading home."

"Eh? You're not going to eat with me?"

"Huh?"

Rie's words made Sei tilt her head in confusion.

She was starting to pack up her study materials but paused.

"Yes, I thought we would have dinner together."

"I didn't plan for it, just you and me…?"

"Yes, is that a problem?"

"Of course not, but are you sure it's okay?"

"I always cook for two, so it's not much different to cook for you as well."

"I see. Are you heading to the kitchen now?"

"Yes, so it might take a little while, but…"

"Not if I help you."

"Really? Are you sure?"

Sei smiled and nodded.

"Of course. It wouldn't be fair just to sit and wait, and if we cook together, we'll finish faster."

"Thank you, Sei-san."

"No worries. Shall we start now?"

"Yes, by the way, I hope you don't mind me asking, but…"

"What is it?"

"You can cook, right? I heard you tried to teach Shiho-san to cook, so I got a bit worried…"

"Well, I couldn't really teach Shiho, but I can cook better than most."

"That's what I thought! Sorry for asking something like that."

"No, it's okay. You will understand when you see the stuff Shiho makes."

While they talked, a certain high school girl who sucked at cooking sneezed cutely, unaware that she was the topic of conversation.

Sei and Rie stood in the kitchen, preparing to make the dishes.

"Do you need an apron? We only have onii-chan's."

"Well, it's better to use it when you have one."

"...Is it just me or do you seem pretty nervous?"

"I-I'm not!"

Rie put on her usual cute pink apron while Sei donned a slightly oversized black one meant for Tsukasa.

"It's a bit too big for me."

"Yes, do you want to take it off?"

"No, it's fine. Besides, it's not so bad..."

"...Please don't get all lovey-dovey when onii-chan isn't around."

"I-I'm not!"

They started cooking after that conversation.

They are making gyoza tonight.

They chopped the ingredients with practiced ease, quickly, and efficiently.

"Sei-san, you really are good at this. I'm relieved."

"I'm glad I could redeem myself."

"Not that you needed redemption or anything."

"Yeah, but I'm glad I can prove that was beyond my control."

"Yes, her cooking is...otherworldly."

Somewhere, a certain cooking-challenged girl sneezed in the bath.

"Do you cook with Tsukasa often?"

"Yes, onii-chan helps out a lot these days."

"I see. Tsukasa works at a cafe, so he must be good at cooking."

"Yes. You’ve been to the cafe where he works, haven’t you? What’s it like?"

"...No, I haven’t."

"Eh? But you just said…"

"Y-You must’ve misheard."

Sei, blushing furiously, denied it as if recalling something deeply embarrassing.

Rie found it odd but didn’t press the issue and continued cooking.

The gyoza are done in several minutes.

"Thanks for your help, Sei-san. We managed to finish it quickly."

"No, it’s because you’re so skilled, Rie. It made it really easy."

The two exchanged smiles, acknowledging each other’s efforts.

"Shall we eat?"

"Yes."

They arranged the gyoza, miso soup, and salad on the table, then sat down facing each other.

"Let's eat."

The two girls clapped their hands and started digging in.

"This is delicious. It tastes a bit different from home, but it’s perfect."

"I’m glad. The gyoza are cooked perfectly."

"You're really good at this, Rie."

"And it was really easy to cook with you, Sei-san."

The two chatted happily as they enjoyed their meal.

After finishing, they washed the dishes together.

"Thank you for helping with the cleanup."

"It’s only fair since you cooked for me."

Sei washed the dishes while Rie dried them with a cloth.

"This feels like we’re family or sisters."

"Yeah, I don’t have any younger siblings, so I would love for you to be my little sister."

"Sei-san, does that mean you think it could happen someday?"

"Hmm? What do you mean?"

"Are you saying that I may become your sister-in-law one day?"

"Little sister…? What do you mean- huh!?"

Sei realized it mid-sentence, and her face turned beet red.

"N-No, that's not what I meant! You won't be my sister-in-law, Rie!"

"Ah, so you don’t plan to marry my brother and just intend to break up with him eventually?"

"N-No! That’s not what I mean! Of course, if I continue dating Tsukasa, we might get married, and you could become my sister, but…!"

"Hehe, exactly."

"Ugh, Rie, you shouldn't tease your senpai like that…!"

Sei glared at Rie, still blushing furiously.

Rie just laughed, clearly enjoying the moment.

"Sorry. It just makes me happy."

"Happy? About what?"

"It really feels like I have an older sister when I'm with you like this."

"You’re teasing me again, aren’t you?"



"No, not this time. It’s just that while I have no complaints about onii-chan, I always thought it would be nice to have an onee-chan, too."

"Is that so?"

Rie nodded vigorously, then spoke, looking a bit embarrassed.

"I don't really want a younger sibling, but I always thought it would be nice to have an older sister. I never mentioned it to onii-chan or my parents because they would think I was being needy."

"I see. Hehe, then I guess we're alike in that sense."

"Alike?"

"Yes, but my situation is the opposite of yours. My brother is much older than me. I often wished I had a sibling closer in age."

Sei and Rie exchanged glances as they did the dishes.

"So, if you don’t mind, I'd be happy if you could think of me as your older sister."

"R-Really? Is that okay?"

"Of course. It might be difficult at first, but I hope we can grow to be as close as real sisters."

"Thank you so much, Sei-san."

Both of them smiled warmly and continued washing the dishes like a family.

"So, that means you'll marry onii-chan someday, right?"

"I-I didn't say that!"

"Then does that mean you two will break up eventually…?"

"That's not it either! Rie, as your first promise to me as sisters, you must never tell Tsukasa about this conversation, especially about the part where we talked about marriage and becoming a family."

"Hehe, understood, Sei-onee-chan."

"O-Onee-chan!?"

Afterward, the two continued to enjoy each other's company.

*

Taking over the shift that Tobise-san couldn’t make, I finished the unexpected extra hours of work and was finally on my way home.

It has been a tiring shift, given the short notice, but the manager praised my enthusiasm today. The main reason for my high spirits is Sei-chan, of course.

She saw me off at the front door when I left for work.

Even now, I can vividly recall the scene, her voice, everything.

It felt less like a regular goodbye and more like a newlywed couple’s parting, making my heart race.

Sei-chan seemed nervous, too, probably having the same thoughts as me.

…If I married Sei-chan, would she see me off like that every day?

That sounds like heaven. Absolutely perfect.

As I walked home, lost in my daydreams about a future with Sei-chan, I arrived at the house before I knew it.

It's already past 8 PM. Sei-chan should have gone home by now.

Opening the door, I called out, “I’m home~” a bit louder than usual.

Rie’s voice quickly responded, “Ah, welcome back~” followed by the sound of her footsteps approaching the entrance.

It's rare for Rie to come to greet me, but as I took off my shoes and stepped inside, I saw…

"Eh? Sei-chan?"

Sei-chan was there, not Rie, looking a bit embarrassed with her hands behind her back and wearing my apron.

"W-Welcome home, Tsukasa."

"...Ah, yeah, I'm home, Sei-chan."

Not only had she seen me off, but she also welcomed me back.

It felt like the world I had just been daydreaming about had materialized. This is rad.

“So you’re still here?”

"Y-Yeah, I stayed for dinner with Rie."

“I see. That’s why you’re wearing my apron.”

“Yeah, sorry for borrowing it without asking.”

“It’s fine. I think the apron is thrilled to be worn by you, Sei-chan.”

“Pfft, what’s that supposed to mean?”

She chuckled, and I couldn’t help but think how much she looked like a newlywed in that apron.

…It's too peak.

Rie was still sitting on the sofa with her apron when we walked into the living room.

“Hey, welcome back, onii-chan. How was the welcome from Sei-san?”

“Thanks, Rie. It was perfect, so perfect I would want it every day.”

“I told Sei-san that you would be happier if she welcomed you.”

"You're a genius, Rie. I owe you an ice cream."

“Make it a nice, expensive one.”

“What are you two even talking about...?”

Sei-chan said with a bit of exasperation while Rie smiled mischievously.

It felt like the two of them bonded while I was away at work.

I was worried about leaving them alone, but seeing this, it seemed like everything went well.

“I should get going. I’ve stayed longer than I intended.”

Sei-chan said as she took off the apron.

“It’s getting late. Let me walk you home.”

"Ahh, thank you."

"Can I come along as well?"

"Rie?"

"Yeah, I just want to talk to Sei-san a bit more, or rather, be with her..."

Rie said this shyly, glancing at Sei-chan for approval.

"Of course, I don't mind at all. I also want to talk to you more and get to know you better."

"Sei-san...!"

Rie looked at Sei-chan with sparkling eyes.

…Wait, don't tell me Rie has a crush on Sei-chan now!?

Sei-chan is the type who could easily attract girls, so it wouldn't be surprising if Rie fell for her.

Damn, I hadn't considered this.

Could my little sister actually become my rival?

"Rie, do you...like Sei-chan?"

"Yeah, of course. I learned a lot about Sei-san today."

Rie tilted her head, looking at me as if I had asked something obvious.

Damn, so Rie really does…!

But I'm already dating Sei-chan, so the victory is mine!

...Right? I should be fine, right?

"Rie, you should give up on Sei-chan. I mean, please give up. I don't want to compete with you for many reasons."

"What are you talking about, onii-chan?"

"Tsukasa, I think you're misunderstanding something..."

For some reason, both Rie and Sei-chan looked at me dumbfoundedly.

"Rie's 'like' is completely different from yours."

"Really?"

"Of course, onii-chan. I just admire Sei-san as a senpai and older sister."

"...Okay? Wait, what do you mean by 'older sister'?"

"R-Rie!"

As I asked, Sei-chan quickly approached Rie, and they started whispering to each other.

"Rie, we agreed not to mention that...!"

"I didn't say anything about marriage or becoming family; I just said I admire you like an older sister. Isn't that okay?"

"But he'll become aware of it if you say it, right? Tsukasa and I will have to get married so you and I can become sisters. That's, well…"

"Ah, I see what you mean."

"So, it's not something I want him to be thinking about right now. Don't say things like that."

"You don't want him thinking about it just yet, right?"

"Ugh, that's not what I meant..."

Sei-chan and Rie were whispering closely, making me feel left out.

I couldn't hear a word they were saying.

Just as I was feeling excluded, they finally turned to include me in the conversation.

"Forget what I said just now, onii-chan."

"Now I'm even more curious."

"Just forget it, or else Sei-san might start disliking you."

"Well, time to get a lobotomy then."

"I didn't say that! Tsukasa, you don't need surgery!"

I didn't understand, but if they didn't want to talk about it, I decided to drop it.

After that, the three of us walked Sei-chan home together.

It's June, and even at night, the temperature is warm enough to be out in short sleeves.

Sei-chan is in the middle, chatting with Rie on her left.

"Sei-san, don't you wear skirts?"

"Only the school uniform. I don't particularly like wearing skirts."

"I think you would look great in them. Don't you have any?"

"Well, I have one I bought when I went shopping with Shiho."

"Really? I would love to see it sometime."

"I would love to see it too."

"Onii-chan, don't just jump into the conversation like that."

"It's tough being left out, my dear little sister."

I'm happy that Sei-chan and Rie are getting along so well.

And yes, I would love to see Sei-chan in a skirt.

As we continued walking toward Sei-chan's house, Rie suddenly stopped and pointed to something.

"Oh, there's a poster for the upcoming fireworks festival."

Indeed, there is a bulletin board in the direction Rie's looking, with "Fireworks Festival" written on it.

The date is set for late June, right after the school's final exams.

"I couldn't go last year because of entrance exams, so I really want to go this year."

"Right, you were a third-year student last year."

"Yes. Ah, Sei-san, would you like to go to the fireworks festival together?"

"Hmm? Me?"

"Yes, if you don't mind."

"Rie, wait a minute!"

I couldn't hold back and raised my voice slightly.

Sei-chan and Rie looked at me with wide eyes, surprised, but I continued.

"I understand wanting to go to the fireworks festival with Sei-chan, but I want to go with her too!"

"Uh, of course you do. You're her boyfriend, right?"

"Exactly! I want to go to the fireworks festival with my girlfriend!"

"T-Tsukasa, I understand, but please don't say such embarrassing things so loudly..."

Sei-chan's face turned red with embarrassment, but I wasn't going to back down.

"I want to go to the fireworks festival with you, Sei-chan!"

"...Ugh, then can I come along too?"

"Do you mean the three of us?"

"Yes, I know I might be in the way, but...what do you think?"

Rie looked at us with a slightly apologetic expression. 

It's not that I want to exclude Rie.

I just want to spend time with Sei-chan.

But I don't see any problem with Rie joining us.

"Sei-chan, is it okay for Rie to join us?"

"I just realized we've already decided to go to the fireworks festival."

"Wait, do you have any plans? If so, we can forget about it."

"No, I don't have any. If I were to go to the fireworks festival this year, I would want to go with you, Tsukasa."

"Sei-chan...!"

What a wonderful thing to say.

Sei-chan looked at me, slightly embarrassed, before turning to Rie to speak as if to hide her embarrassment.

"I would love to go with you too, Rie."

"Are you sure it's okay? I wouldn't want to be in the way..."

"You won't be in the way. As I said before, I want to get to know you better."

"Sei-san...!"

Rie looked at Sei-chan with tearful eyes, clearly moved by her words.

Somehow, Rie and I are reacting in almost the same way.

A fireworks festival with Sei-chan and Rie is bound to be fun.

...Huh? Fireworks festival?

Wait a minute, this fireworks festival at this time of year feels familiar.

...Ha! I remembered!

There's a festival arc in <Ojojama>.

A slightly early fireworks festival in late June.

This is a fireworks festival hosted by the Tojoin Group.

In other words, it's a fireworks festival set up by Kaori Tojoin to get closer to Yuuichi Shigemoto.

The details are, uh, what are they again…?

How come I can't remember it at all?


Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment