Friday, November 20, 2020

Gamers! DLC Chapter 2

Chapter 2 – Ayumu Kiriya and Youth-restraining Live Stream



Translator: your_pingas


<Hell's Blood> All Achievement and Handicapped Live Stream.

I'm about to start.

Hello, I'm the streamer "Torabasami". [It means tiger traps.]

Uh, the goal of this series is to acquire all achievements. Also, I'll be collecting every item in the game.

Aside from that, there are 3 limitations.

1. No usage of "Cheetah's Blade."

2. No points toward vitality.

3. No usage of "Merdia’s Ash” (Weakness Item) during the “Earth King Astor” boss fight.

All of these will be banned during the gameplay. As for other minor handicaps or limitations, the video will be accompanied by appropriate explanations. Thank you, everyone.

Well, let’s begin.

*

After I finished the introduction, I first turned off the mic's switch and stopped the recording. The following game clips and tutorials will be deleted in the legit video. So, there’s no point in recording them.

“…I need coffee.”

I looked at the unskippable introduction using the corner of my eye. Then, I went across a relatively tidy suite room for a lonely university student. I opened the fridge located in the little kitchen next to the entrance. My bare feet feels especially cold on the floor, and it finally made me acknowledge the fact that it’s autumn now. I really miss the ground heating system in my old house.

I opened the fridge and reached my hand towards the coffee storage shelf as usual.

So, my fingers didn’t touch anything. I can’t help but swear.

“I forgot.”

Usually, I will buy boxes of cheap micro sugar coffee online. However, it sold out the last time I tried to order it. So, I decided to deal with it later. …Then, I dragged things until now. In other words, I don’t even have a single can of non-cold coffee in my home.

“…Really.”

I tapped the top of the fridge with my fingernails anxiously. I’m not a coffee lover, nor am I addicted to caffeine. It’s just that-

“Not having something that I think I have.” “Things aren’t going as I expected.”

I’m always irritated when “unexpected” situations like this happen. Comparatively, I feel twice as thrilled when things are going my way.

Even so, not having any cans of coffee is an undeniable truth right now.

“…It can’t be helped.”

I sighed and paused the recording before deciding to visit the convenience store.

I switched from my home uni T to tight jeans with a long-sleeved t-shirt. Then, I tidied my looks in front of the mirror next to the entrance. The mirror is reflecting an indoor otaku with a slim body, white skin, and a face that’s too sharp for ordinary people – which is me.



As usual, I don’t really like my appearance. Sometimes, people will praise me with words like “cool,” “slim,” and “thin.” To be honest, it’s just that I look unhealthy. Actually, I think so too.

After I tidied up my curly bedhead, I compromised with my 6/10 face and put my feet into sandals before leaving the room. I slowly walked down the stairs and went out of the apartment entrance. During this time, I met my friend that just came back home.

When she saw my face, she greeted me with a smile that’s like a blossoming flower.

“Hoho, Ayumu-san. Good morning.”

“Ah, good morning, Ao.”

I rubbed my neck as I answered coldly and indifferently. It’s not like I hate this girl. Instead, I didn’t bother to decorate my words because I have sincerely accepted her.

Ao already understood this part as well, so she didn’t seem to particularly mind. She put away her umbrella quickly as she asked. “You’re going out?” The conversation continued. …She’s still the elegant lady that’s the complete opposite of me.

Ao Saika, 19 years old, she’s in the same university as me. We’re neighborhoods of the same age. I should say she lives next to my apartment. We are quite close since I got into uni a year and a half ago.

Ao fiddled her maroon short bob hair slightly and asked.

“Ayumu-san, you got lessons?”

“No, I’m free today. Right now, I’m just going to the convenience store.”

“Really. …Uh, by the way, I don’t have anything to do as well.”

“I see.”

“Yeah.”

Ao gave me a charming smile while I looked at her emotionlessly.

Then, a baffling silence started to radiate between us. …This kind of weird pause often happens whenever I talk to Ao. This is something that I’ll never see when Ao’s talking to her friends. So, I’m afraid the problem has to do with my communication skills. …However, I still have no idea on which part I need to improve.

I raised my hand and dropped a “bye” before preparing to leave. Ao grabbed the corner of my t-shirt.

“Please wait, Ayumu-san. Well, …aren’t Ayumu-san supposed to say something to the cute neighbor that just said she’s free?”

“Eh?”

I thought about it. …Then, I clapped my hands together. I tried to put up a smile and told Ao.

“Ah, wish you a happy weekend?”

Ao immediately dropped her shoulders deflatedly. …Nope, I still have no idea the conversation manners of ladies. Although I always hoped that I can be closer to Ao, I can never take that step. Even though I want to invite her out for dinner or something, I’ll be scared that I’ll act impolitely.

Ao gave me a dumbfounded look before mumbling helplessly.

“Jeez, …this person never understands a girl’s heart…”

See? This lady is indeed dissatisfied with my attitude. If I did invite her out for dinner, who knows what she will say.

I cleared my throat and continued the conversation.

“Right, Ao, I’m looking for a partner for live streaming recently.”

“Eh? The so-called live streaming, …is that the one that Ayumu-san has been busy with…”

“Yes, yes, yes.”

“It’s that thing where you are mumbling to yourself alone while playing games. Then, you edit some funny clips out. After that, you even need to publish the video online to entertain yourself, right?”

“Even though I don’t like the way you’re putting it, you’re right.”

“You’re looking for a partner. …In other words, you’re hiring a ‘weird person that’s willing to do something strange together in Ayumu-san’s room,’ right?”

“Even though I don’t like the way you’re putting it, you’re right.”

“If Ayumu-san’s going out your way to tell me this, it means that…”

Ao looked up to me with hopeful eyes. For a moment, I tilted my head in confusion because of her reaction. However, I still immediately nodded and said, “yes.” Then, I told her my request.

“Ao, can you introduce someone good to me-“

“Please take care, Ayumu-san.”

Ao put up an elegant smile and walked away within seconds. She’s always like that. …It’s hard to grasp her, and I have no idea the distance that I should maintain from her when we’re talking. Usually, she treats me kindly, but she can suddenly turn cold at the next second. …Thanks to that, I’m even less likely to muster up my courage and get closer to her…

“Ay, I guess I’m the worse one for not having a live streaming partner and even going so far to ask for a lady’s help.”

After I mumbled that, I strolled towards the convenience store alone.

*

The leaves were blown off by the wind as they floated in front of me.

The air of mid-October is dry and cold. Although the material is pretty thick, it’s still cold to just go out with a long-sleeve t-shirt.

I rubbed my upper arms and walked as I thought about the partner thing I mentioned to Ao.

(Even so, it’s true that I really want a ‘partner’ right now.)

It’s been a year and a half since I started uploading gaming live streams. Initially, I was just publishing these to kill time during my leisure university life. However, once I snapped out of it, this became my whole life’s career.

If you describe my videos with one word, that would be “refined.”

Concrete gaming knowledge, detailed editing, clear explanations on connoisseur game choices that don’t need any yelling, and an emphasis on graphics, that’s my style. If you put it in a friendly way, it’s a complete and detailed live stream. On the other hand, you can also say that it’s plain streaming with no charms.

Therefore, although I started slowly on the videos, I can often complete them. Also, the lack of “discomfort” in my videos helped a lot too. My reputation and subscribers begin to skyrocket. So, after I slightly entered the top rankings, my popularity started to soar.

I became a part of the popular live streamers, with some videos getting over a million views.

However, …even so, I stayed true to my own belief – simple, stable, and refined.

In the end, everything changed when the new generation of live streamers that’s akin to idols appeared. Currently, my position is the “backbone live streamers only followed by long-time fans.”

(…Well, even though this comes with its own freedoms.)

I thought about this dazedly as I walked into the convenience store. Then, I looked at the magazine area unintentionally. The cover of the magazine is charming new idols in swimsuits.

(In reality, …I more or less want to work hard and become famous.)

Uh, please don’t misunderstand. I’m not trying to become an idol streamer or something. Well, but I would be lying if I say I don’t want to be famous. Also, for a period, I’m actually quite happy with my voice. …It’s far deeper than all the people I know. However, unexpectedly, even though I don’t really like it, people called it a “handsome boy’s voice.” I was kind of swept up by the excitement too, and I admit it.

However, no matter how many people praise the “voice” that my parents gave me, I still don’t feel realistic about it. It’s more like, compared to myself, I prefer sharing my gameplay or favorite games with other people. I realized that a long time ago.

Since then, I spent more time and effort to produce videos that are even more refined.

But, the growth of subscribers still isn’t much by relying on that alone. Although I wasn’t planning to do this for popularity, I hate to admit defeat. I put my heart and soul into my videos. Yet, the views they got can be easily surpassed when those idol streamers just casually talk about their life.

If that’s the case, I can only try to attract new audiences. However, this way, I have to put something that I’ve never used before.

(With that in mind, I tried to do “First Plays” instead of walkthroughs or stream explanations, …but it’s still not going well.)

I’m not the type that’s good at reacting. The calm and composed talking is one of my selling points as a streamer. A guy like me will never fit for first play videos no matter what. Although it doesn’t suit me…

(Right now, “likability” is what I lack the most, and I know that.)

I understand that a self-proclaimed gaming expert streamer keeps dying during the recording sounds fun. However, in my situation, I will always fully prepare myself before that. Also, since I can utilize my skills during the real fight, I never mess up. This is the part where I’m praised. On the other hand, it’s a fact that all of my videos are too uniform.

But, even if I acknowledged all that, I can’t improve. I don’t feel right for dying in a game on purpose.

I bought 3 cans of micro sugar canned coffee. Then, I quickly left the store and walked back home. I strolled on the streets lazily as I can’t help but sigh.

(…That’s why I want a “partner” to compensate for my lack of attractiveness, …but things just aren’t going my way.)

After all, those are the conditions that I requested for my partner.

I stopped due to the red light on the crosswalk. After that, I looked back at the unpopular game store behind me. I stared at that dazedly as I thought about my ideal partner.

(Well, …first of all, the person must love gaming.)

I listed the conditions in my mind.

I can see a high school boy’s back in front of the game store entrance. He’s playing the ultra-old demo version of a scrolled action game. This guy got some weird tastes.

I looked at his back without paying too much attention as I continued thinking.

(Although non-gamers uploading first plays videos aren’t something new, that’s too far from what I’m looking for. Indeed, the person must love gaming at least. However…)

So, I can’t help but rub between my eyebrows.

(At the same time, the person must be poorly skilled to a certain degree. This is hard to find. People often say that you can be good at something when you’re interested in it. That’s what gaming is. Basically, the experience is more important than talent. Therefore, it’s challenging to meet a person that loves gaming while simultaneously suck at it…)

At this time, that high school boy who’s busy playing demo met a simple-minded and weak enemy. His character took damage. Then, perhaps he’s getting nervous, he pressed the wrong button and fell into the bottomless pit. He lost a life meaninglessly.

…………

…Uh, where was I? Ah, yes, yes, yes, the conditions for an ideal partner.

(Yes, also, more importantly, the reactions must be funny. However, this isn’t easy as well. After all, the “funny” that I’m looking for isn’t just screaming and yelling. How should I put it? What I want is a simple reaction that can make people laugh. …The person will try to cover up his mistakes in a humorous way. …No, that would be too extravagant-)

During this moment, the high school boy made the same mistake at the exact same level. Even though it’s not a hard level, he keeps getting hit by those weak enemies and falls into the pit. Also, I didn’t expect this time to be…

<Game Over>

He lost all his lives. It’s not just at the beginning. He died at the first level, and the game ended.

…I was a bit shocked. Uh, if you ask me, this young man already knew all the controls the game requires. Yet, he wasn’t dying “purposely.” Instead, he just came to the game over conclusion naturally.

I paused my thoughts as I stumbled next to him.

(W-What is his reaction when he’s faced with something this unbelievable…)

The light of the crosswalk already turned green, but this doesn’t matter anymore.

Will he laugh, get mad, or be depressed?

I gulped as I observed him from the side. …As for that young man-

He put the controller on the console. Then, he grabbed his bag on the floor. He acted smugly and forced a smile out as he’s trying to cover something up with mumbles.

“I see how it works.”’

“I CHOOSE YOU!!!”

At that moment, I pointed my fingers at him as I screamed the hardest I ever have in my whole life.

“Eek!”

The person in question bulged his eyes and freaked out as he turned to me. Unexpectedly, his face looks innocent, and he looks tiny in Otobuki High School’s uniform.

-Yes, it’s at this moment.

I, Ayumu Kiriya, a live streamer with a twisted temper.

Made the first contact with the game-loving and clumsy high school boy, Keita Amano.

*

“S-S-S-Sorry for the intrusion…”

“Alright, just come in. You can sit anywhere you want. …No, you can sit in front of that table.”

“O-Okay.”

The high school boy that looked around suspiciously as he entered my room, Keita Amano. I tidied my room quickly as I observed him in silence.

(Nice, I finally got him inside my house. Well, what should I do next…)

It’s been 30 minutes since I met him in front of the game store. As for what took 30 minutes, …I spent all of that time- convincing him.

“Sorry, will you be good with non-cold coffee?”

“Ah, no thanks. I’ll be leaving soon…”

Keita Amano still stood in front of the table as he shook his head politely. I smiled and put the coffee in front of him.

(It’ll be a headache if you’re going home too fast.)

At least go back after I got some fantastic footage.

Although he looked around uncomfortably for a while, he still dropped a “sorry” at last. Then, he sat down on the small chair over there.

I said yes in my heart and told him. “Just a moment.” I opened the game- At the same time, I prepared to live stream secretly.

(Well, …here comes the main part. After all, I’ll have to make him, Keita Amano-)

Just as I started thinking, he asked me with a startled look.

“Uh, is this really okay? You invited me to your room to try out games despite not knowing me at all…”

“O-Of course, no problem. You’re interested in <Hell’s Blood>, right? Please try it out.”

“Really. …I appreciate that. …Uh, but, I still feel like…”

“L-Look, I already prepared everything! Just play for a while! Do it! You should know if you love gaming, right? It’s happy to recommend my favorite game to someone else!”

I said that as I handed him the controller. As for him, …Keita Amano, he’s still suspecting this whole thing for a bit. However, he gave his first smile ever since he entered the room.

“…Yeah, you’re right. Recommending your favorite games to someone…is really exciting.”

“Yeah! H-Here, it’s starting! Please have fun!”

“Ah, okay, well, I’ll be in your care…”

Keita Amano embarrassingly smiled as he looked at the screen.

I stared at him…as I opened the recording software on my PC secretly with my quiet mouse. Then, a faint smile appeared on my face.

(I have to make him, Keita Amano- “play on a live stream while not realizing it!” If I can achieve that, I’m sure I can get some incredible and fantastic clips!)

*

During the 30-minute process of convincing Keita Amano in the game store, I realized something. His gaming style is well-suited to become a live streamer. At the same time, his personality won’t fit into live streaming at all.

In reality, I already chose him when he’s trying the demo out. His skills are low enough, and his reactions are on-point. From this meaning, he can become a really popular streamer.

However, on the other hand, he freaks out easily, shy, and introverted. From his personality, it’s impossible to request “please let me record some gaming stream clips” honestly. He wouldn’t accept that. Even if he’s willing to compromise, I bet he will just get anxious and forget everything. This is an apparent fact.

If that’s the case, there’s only one thing I can do.

(I have to make him go live stream without realizing it!)

The process wouldn’t be easy. However, that’s why it’s worth a try-

“H-Hey, Kiriya-san? Ayumu Kiriya-san?”

“Eh, can you not call my real name?”

He suddenly threw this question at me. As for me, I smiled and grabbed a cushion before sitting next to him. When the TV is showing the game introduction, he tilted his head in confusion.

“Eh, why?”

“Well…”

It’s because I’m recording a video that will be published online. …Of course, I can never say that. Crap, the plan’s suddenly about to be spoiled. I scrambled my brain and thought of an excuse right away.

“T-Think about it, it’s more relaxing to call each other’s nickname when we’re gaming, right?”

“Oh, …I see. Well, can I call you Kiriyachi or Ayumuchi?”

“I don’t understand why your concept of nicknames is by repeating words.”

“S-Sorry, there’s not much I can reference on. Uh, then what should I call you…”

“Well…”

If this is the video that I’m recording, of course, I have to use my name for live streaming…

I lowered my head silently and mumbled an answer.

“J-Just call me ‘Torabasami’, okay…

“Why!?”

Keita Amano asked me shockingly. It’s hard to blame him since the nickname is too brainless. Sidenote, the name comes from me always stepping on those traps in the past videos, …but I can’t really explain to him right now.

Just as sweat keeps appearing from my forehead, he asked.

“K-Kiriya-san, do your friends call you Torabasami in real life?”

“Ah, uh, hmm, …I-I guess so.”

“How did you get that nickname!?”

“…It’s because I often stepped on tiger traps in the past?’

“I can’t imagine a school life filled with tiger traps! Kiriya-san, what are you-“

“A-Anyway, at least, when the two of us are playing games here, you should call me Torabasami. …If you think that’s too long, you can abbreviate it as Tora.”

“R-Really. …I got it. Well, …I’ll be in your care, Tora…”

“Yep, nice to meet you.”

Suddenly, I remembered I didn’t get him a nickname for streaming.

He smiled gently and started introducing himself seriously for some reason.

“I-I’m Amano, Keita Amano. I’m a year 2 student in Otobuki High School…”

“Hey, why are you being such a big mouth!? You’re revealing everything about yourself!”

“I’m sorry! Even though I don’t understand why I’m being scolded, I’m sorry anyway!”

“Jeez. …Anyway, you need to get a streaming nick- get a nickname, alright.”

“…Nickname. …Ah, how about Amanocchi or Keicchi…?”

“…Yep. I’ll call you ‘Landmine’ from now on.”

“Landmine? Eh, where did that come from? Why are you suddenly calling me a landmine!?”

Amano looked at me with tears in his eyes. So, I answered him calmly.

“Uh, think about it, it’s just like tiger traps. They’re both traps.”

“Why am I spending so much effort on this just to keep the unity as you!?”

“After all, come to think of it, we’re partners.”

“What partners!? Hey, am I getting dragged into a comedy group unconsciously again!?”

“Well, not yet, but you will be soon.”

“It’s not yet!? Eh, what’s happening right now!?”

Crap, Amano started getting suspicious when I’m acting chicly.

I comforted him.

“I’m just kidding. It’s just a joke. However, doesn’t it feel exciting to get a nickname exclusive to this place?”

“Ugh, …I-I guess so. I do understand that…”

Amano turned his face away embarrassingly. …He’s surprisingly easy to convince, even though he’s an introvert?

“Well, nice to meet you, Landmine.”

“I’m sorry. I still really mind when someone calls me a landmine!”

“Really? But I can’t take away the word ‘Landmine’ already…”

“No, take it away. You can completely take it out, right! How can you get a cool nickname when you’re fussing over things like this-“

“How about I call you ‘Jiraiya’ from now on?” [Note: The joke is from the word Jirai, which means landmines.]

“I didn’t expect this to be so awesome after a change! Thanks!”

Amano lowered his head and thanked me. This boy is really easy to convince. While I don’t know what he’s thinking, but in my head, that name isn’t from that Jiraiya from Naruto. Instead, he’s like a landmine (jirai) that always messes his teammates up. …Ay, I don't need to bring that up.

Anyway, as long as I praise him like that, the click rate of this video will be okay-

“By the way, Kiriya- No, Tora. I was wondering since then, what’s with this…vertical microphone in front of me on the table?”

“Ughh!”

He finally found out. I cleared my throat as I attempted to explain.

“Ah, that’s just for me to chat with my friends.”

“I see. But it’s kind of blocking me. Can you move that away from me for a bit-“

When he reached his hand out to the mic, I grabbed his hand forcefully and glared at him.

“You can’t do that!”

“Ehh! W-Why? Right now, we have no reason to place it here…”

“I made a promise with my dead grandma! She wants me to never move the mic!”

“How did you even make that promise!? I can’t imagine the process at all!”

“Please, I beg you! Please just let the mic be!”

“R-Really. …I got it. I-I feel a bit sorry.”

Amano freaked out as he let go of the mic. Just as we’re tossing each other around, the game introduction on the TV screen is already finished. Then, the camera switched to the first boss fight of the story. In front of the player with full knight armor, a giant monster blocks the way far ahead. The battle will initiate as soon as you get close to it.

“…………”

Amano gulped and started controlling his character.

“…………”

Firstly, Amano tried pressing the attack, move, and defend button to confirm it’s working.

“…………”

After he’s done, he sighed and faced the boss again…

“…………”

He charged forward without saying anything-

“Eh, say something, Jiraiya! You want to mess up the show!?”

“What?”

I complained. It made Amano stopped when he’s about to enter the battle and looked back at me.

I yelled my request out.

“Why are you playing the game seriously!? Are you braindead!?”

“Never before have I been this confused as to why I’m getting scolded!”

“Say something! Add some casual and humorous chatting, Jiraiya!”

“That’s a sudden and ridiculous request! Eh, I can’t do that! Not to mention usually, how can I say something funny when I’m focusing on the game!”

“But you can only be famous in this industry after you overcome that!”

“Which industry are we talking about!? E-Even if you say that, I’m just here for a demo…”

Amano scratched his head. Hmm, since I claimed that I’m just asking him to try out a game, it’s too much for him to be all worked up and talk. If that’s the case…

“I understand. You don’t need to say anything funny. However, can you at least give some feedback, Jiraiya? Think about it, for people that recommend their favorite games to others, they will be curious about your reaction…”

“I-I see, you’re right. W-Well, perhaps that’s my bad. I got it. I’ll try to pay attention and act naturally like usual.”

“Very well.”

Phew, I guess I can feel relieved for now. In reality, I’m not expecting him to joke around. Instead, I’m hoping for some new and exciting reactions. I won’t beg for more as long as I can achieve that…

So, back to the game. Amano started rechecking the controls. Then, he followed my instructions and said how he sincerely feels about the game.

“I feel like this game’s animation is stiffer than I’ve imagined, and the actual graphics aren’t that good too. I more or less saw the limit of the developer from things like this.”

“Hey, can you not suddenly leave a negative review!? The company will be mad! That’s not good for their hearts!”

“Eh? But you asked me for honest feedback…”

“About that, …you can just say what you feel with an ‘adult’s’ mindset!”

“An adult’s mindset! W-What a refined choice of words!”

“Think about it. I’ll feel bad when someone doesn’t like the game that I recommended! So, that’s how it goes, get it?”

“I-I guess so. Sorry, I’m being a nervous wack today, and I didn’t think everything through. I understand. I-I’ll give honest reactions with an adult’s mindset!”

“A-Alright, even though I feel like it’s kind of weird to announce that so loudly, …whatever.”

So, Amano started playing the game.

We finally entered the plot of the first boss fight. After the enemy monster woke up, the video where its enormous body slowly climbs up appeared.

To that, Amano mumbled throbbingly.

“Ohh, …the enemy feels pretty heavy. Being shocked by a strong foe in RPGs is an excellent experience…”

What a great comment designed for live streams! I’m feeling pretty smug about choosing the correct guy for this, as I answered.

“Actually, this boss is really tough. You will die after 2 hits. The story will continue even after you lost, and it’s more like a must-fail plot fight. However, the stuff you need to do is pretty simple. You can still win if you’re careful. …Yep, this boss fight is well-designed.”

“Oh, then I’ll have to try my best and beat it!”

“Sure. It would be amazing if you beat it on the first try.”

After I answered, I observed his fight while a mischievous smile.

(Okay, all I have to do is to watch him getting obliterated now. …Please give me an exciting and unwilling-to-admit-defeat reaction, Keita Amano!)

I paid attention to the screen with hopeful eyes. Logically, he kept his distance from the enemy at first. Then, with the boss at the center, he went around clockwise as he observed its attacks. After a while of experimentation, when the enemy missed its attack and had an opening, he took a big swing on the boss’s leg with a blade. He managed to escape.

“Uwah, I barely hurt him. I have to be more aggressive…”

Amano said that as he started stabbing when he got small chances. In the end…

“Ouch!”

He was hit painfully. The HP bar of the protagonist lost a considerable chunk. In this stage, there’s no way to regen. It’ll be over if he takes another hit.

(Well, it’s almost time…)

To face Amano’s eventual defeat, I sat upright on the cushion. As for Amano, he considered the struggle carefully. So, he slowly chipped away the boss’s HP and dragged this out into a 10-minute sitzkrieg.

So, after a mundane and slow battle…

He finally…finally-

“…Ah.”

-He brilliantly defeated the boss.

…………

Amano looked at me with an “I won, right?” face.

As for me, …when I tolerated his glare-

I yelled all of my exploding emotions out.

“WHY DID YOU WIN!?”

“Eh! I-I’m not supposed to win!? You’re not praising me!?”

“Of course not! Your impression is ‘the innocent sucker gamer that’s loved because of his clumsiness despite the love for gaming!’ How did you break that on the first try!?”

“F-First try? I don’t understand what you’re saying. …Uh, usually, I’m a clumsy person. …However, for some reason, I somehow made it out alive successfully…”

“Why must you not mess it up at this time!? You suck!”

“I beat the level miraculously, and yet I suck!? Explain that!”

Amano screamed out of utter anger. Indeed, n-normally, I should praise him for beating the boss in the first attempt. …However, I didn’t expect that from this boy!

(Ay, b-but I guess I can still get some exciting and moving clips out with the power of editing…)

So, I changed my mood and paid attention to the game screen once again.

After a short cutscene, the character creation screen showed up. This is where the live streamer can get creative and express himself. You can become lovable if you make weird designs that attract the audience’s complains-

“Uh, I’ll just choose the default appearance since it’s troublesome.”

“That’s actually quite creative!”

He ignored that part even though the game allows you to modify the character in depth. That’s the opposite kind of refreshing. Well, I guess it’s because Amano just treated this as a demo. Hence, it’s reasonable for him to not focus on the character…

After ending the character creation screen in 3 seconds, the main story is finally beginning. He followed the trail and explored the old city for a while. Then, he encountered the first enemies. I spoke up to him.

“This will be easy when you won the boss fight just then.”

“Yeah, I won’t lose to pawns like this no matter what. …Ouch! Ah, this guy’s so cheap. …Uwah, crap, no! That was close! Eh, t-take this!”

Although he took near-fatal damage, he barely managed to kill a pawn with an unhonorable method.

…………

…He suddenly fell into a tough fight while not dying dramatically. Also, he keeps taking massive damage from simple control miscalculations. His gaming style can really stress the audience out.

I glanced at Amano. He stared at the corpse of the enemy on the screen and mumbled smugly.

“…You still didn’t manage to finish me off. Heh, this enemy isn’t that powerful.”

“CREATIVE!”

I can’t help but yell. Jeez, what’s wrong with this boy? Is he this unwilling to admit defeat? I don’t know whether he’s underestimating or overestimating himself. This is so disgustingly fantastic. Right now, I can already predict the video will be filled with comments like “that’s new” or “it’s kind of positive when he’s this stubborn.”

So, the reactions that he made while playing, I guess it’s within my expectation in a sense. …At the same time, I’m constantly surprised.

Moreover, I asked Amano a couple questions during the break between games. It wasn’t until then that I realized that he has a little brother that doesn't really care about him. Also, he watches him play video games for a long time ago. In the end, this “unwilling to admit defeat on the mouth gaming style” seems to be naturally cultivated. Well, that’s why I can sense his spirit of entertainment from what he says alone.

So, around 40 minutes later, when the adventure is over, he put the controller on the table.

“Phew, thanks for letting me try this, Tora. I had a good time.”

“Eh? R-Really, you’re done already?”

I turned off the recording as I asked. Amano replied with a charming smile.

“Yes! I enjoyed it! Moreover, it’s time for me to go home.”

“Ah, …right.”

Looking at the clock, it’s already past 6 PM. It would be an awkward time to keep a high school student here.

Just as he’s enjoying the canned coffee that was barely touched, I threw another question again.

“Uh, …well, Amano.”

“Hmm? Hey, you don’t need to call me Jiraiya anymore?”

“Eh? R-Right, think about it, …I can just call you that while we’re playing, right?”

“Oh, I see. I got it. Uh, Kiriya-san, so what are you asking?”

“Uh, …did you have fun today?”

Amano froze for a moment at my subtle question. Then, he answered with a smile.

“Of course! I’m excited! I really appreciated you for inviting me here! Even though getting asked by a weird uni student on the first contact ‘Do you want to try out some games in my house? …Hehe…’ is quite shocking.”

“Ha, …haha…”

You little prick.

“However, when we actually played together, I feel like Kiriya-san is a kind person. Thanks to that, I’m so excited that I forgot about the time.”

“Really? That’s great…”

I rubbed my neck as I answered. …After that, I tried to continue.

“Uh, …if that’s the case, let me ask you this. Uh, …next time, do you want to come to my house again? I should say, do you want to visit here once in a while, Amano?”

“Eh?”

Amano got startled as he stopped sipping the coffee.

(Hmm, …w-was that invitation unnatural?)

I have to continue this series of videos. Therefore, he has to come here often, no matter what. However, this time, I invited him in the name of “trying the game out.” So, I have to think of something else if I want to meet him again.

When the scene is suspended in silence, my restlessness caused my eyes to float around. …So, when Amano finished the entire can of coffee, he said a “thanks for your coffee” and put it on the table.

After that, he looked at me once again…and showed a very gentle smile.

“I got it.”

“…What?”

I blinked at his baffling reaction. During this time, Amano ignored me and continued seriously.

“It’s really fun to chat and play games with other people.”

“Eh? Y-Yeah, y-you’re right. So…”

“Yes. That’s a very precious time for ‘loners’ like us.”

“…Huh?”

What did this guy just say? For loners like us? Hmm, …what does he mean by “us”-

“I got it, Kiriya-san. Even though recently, a lot of stuff happened to my friends and me, I’m still a loner, after all. As a part of the same group, I’m willing to help you!”

“N-No, Amano? Well, I’m not a loner…”

“It’s okay, please don’t start explaining everything, Kiriya-san. I get it. Right, as loners, I sincerely understand. It’s upsetting to accept this fact, right…”

“Uh, I already told you that I’m not a lon-“

I almost continued explaining, but I changed my mind and stopped.

(Although I don’t like being treated as a loner, …if he doesn’t think I’m one, will he still come to play games with me out of sympathy? If that’s the case…)

I clenched my fist tightly. …Although I’m trembling from anger, I still managed to muster a smile and answered him.

“T-Thanks, Amano. It would be great if you can play with a…loner like me.”

“Alright, I understand! If that’s the case, I’ll try my best to free up some time for my lonely Kiriya-san! After all, we’re both loners!”

Douchebag.

“O-Okay, thank you. …R-Right, please don’t tell the others that you’re coming here to play with me…”

I would be in big trouble if someone leaked the secret recording to him. Luckily, he said that he rarely watched gaming live streams recently. I only need to pay attention to the people around him…

So, he quickly accepted with a smile.

“Alright, I get it! I won’t tell anyone that you’re a loner!”

“Huh! T-Thanks…”

You smell.

My face is twitching from anger. However, I still exchanged my contact with Amano. Then, Amano looked at the clock. He mumbled “crap” as he hastily took his bags and walked towards the door.

I chased after him. He quickly shoved his feet into the shoes and told me this.

“Uh, w-well, I’m free in the evening as long as there’s no Hobby Club meeting on that day. Please invite me on those days.”

“Hobby Club? Well, even though I don’t really understand, I got you. Well, I’ll contact you when there’s a chance. If it’s possible, I hope that we can meet each other once a week. It’ll be great even if we only play for just an hour.”

Well, that’s in terms of the uploading frequency of the videos.

“I get it! Yeah! It’s really lonely when you have no one to talk to for a week!”

I’ll kill you.

Although I thought about that, I still bid farewell to him with a smile plastered on my face.

He got on his shoes and turned back to me. Then, he lowered his head deeply and said goodbye to me once again.

“Well, sorry for the intrusion. I really had fun today.”

“R-Really?”

He’s quite a well-mannered person in this aspect. …I can’t deal with it. Also, while I’m not a loner, but come to think of it. Besides my neighbor Ao, …perhaps I really didn’t bring anyone into this room and talked to them. This is my first time to have a friend in live streaming.

“Well, I’ll see you next time.”

“Oh, see you, Keita Amano.”

I waved and watched his back. When the door is closed, I leaned on the corridor wall and mumbled with a sigh.

“…Although I’m unwilling to admit this, …today’s gaming experience is enjoyable…”

“…Keita Amano, right…?”

Honestly, I despised him today. However, I did expect that he’ll become quite an important person in my heart later-

<Ding!>

-My heart skipped a beat from the sudden doorbell. Did Keita Amano leave something here? I answered with a “coming” as I got on my sandals and opened the door.

In the end, that person is…

“What? Ao, it’s you.”

“That’s impolite for welcoming a guest, Ayumu-san.”

Ao Saika, she looks quite pissed.

She stopped me from closing the door with her foot. Then, the girl crossed her arms and questioned me with a solemn face.

“…Who was the one that just left?”

“Eh? What just then…? Ah, you mean Keita Amano?”

“Keita Amano. …I see. He’s indeed a gentleman in high school.”

“So, what’s wrong? What’s the problem with that-“

“Big problem!”

Suddenly, Ao took a step closer. I freaked out at her momentum and took a step back into the room. The door closed behind Ao. …In the cramped space of the entrance, Ao is intimidating me at a distance where we can practically stick together.

I can’t help but look away and answered her.

“W-What’s wrong, Ao? To be clear, Keita Amano is just my partner for live streaming. Didn’t I tell you that I was looking for a partner before?”

“A partner for live streaming? This means that…he will visit this room quite often, right?”

“Y-Yeah, I guess so. I made a promise, after all.”

“W-What’s wrong with this person…? Why are you thinking so shallowly every time…!?”

Ao glared at me with a sincerely dumbfounded look. I got angry and retorted.

“What the hell is wrong with you? Ao, what was the issue that you were trying to bring up since then?”

“You’re still asking that…!? L-Listen, Ayumu-san, I’ll just ask one thing here. Did you…properly explain to that boy?”

“Hmm? Why are you suddenly bringing this up? What do I need to explain to him?”

So, after Ao took a huge sigh-

She glared at me fiercely again. Then, …she said this.

“Ayumu-san, I’m asking…did you tell him that you’re actually a girl!”

“…Ah.”

I can’t help but let out a gasp in shock. Come to think of it, I did forget to tell him that.

Ao put her hand on her forehead and hmphed sulkily to my reaction.

“Why are you always like this…”

“What’s wrong, Ao? That isn’t a big problem, right?”

“Big problem!”

Ao yelled at the top of her lungs again, …my ears can’t take it. Yep, in contrast to my deep voice, a normal young girl’s voice is indeed really sharp.

“Indeed, you’re tall, your voice is deep, you cut your hair short, and you’re so handsome that ordinary guys can never hope to match you. Honestly, even I’m always attracted to you too.”

“I-It’s quite embarrassing to say all that.”

I scratched my head. Ao continued.

“However, at the same time, your beautiful face can be regarded as a top-tier girl as well! Are you even aware of that part?”

“Oh, I’ll text my parents and thank them for this afterward.”

“I’m not talking about that! In other words, the current situation is that…a beautiful uni student just brought a high school boy into her one-person apartment! What the hell were you thinking!?”

“What I’m thinking? …I’m thinking about games and live streams.”

“I guess so! A blockhead like you will only think about those things!”

Ao wrapped her arms around her head frustratedly at this point. …I still don’t really understand this neighbor of mine.

I sighed and told her.

“What’s wrong? I’m live streaming under the impression of a guy. So, Keita Amano treating me as one has no issues at all. That’s just right for me. Moreover, if that’s what he believes in, those indecent situations feared by you won’t happen. It’s perfect, right?”

However, Ao sighed dumbfoundedly at what I said. Then, she turned back and opened the door before leaving my room without saying a single word.

Just as I’m looking at her back dazedly, she prepared to close my door directly. …But she stopped in the middle. “For example…” She mumbled to me.

“I’m saying, for example, what will you do if that Amano boy has a girlfriend? You’re a girl, and yet you keep bringing Amano into your room. …If it got out, this will evolve into something more than a rom-com.”

“Eh?”

Ao warned me with a serious look.

As for me, Ayumu Kiriya-

-I burst into laughter and ignored that completely!

“Hey, hey, hey, is it possible for that suspicious and lonely high school boy Keita Amano to have a girlfriend!? Ao Saika, you really think that can happen? Jeez, a wealthy lady’s imagination can certainly go wild.”

Ao curled up her lips at my reaction.

“…It’s not like I care anyway. Jeez, I won’t care about you no matter what happens afterward, Ayumu-san!”

After she said that, the girl banged my door close impatiently and returned to her apartment.

As for me, who was left alone, …I smiled bitterly at Ao’s ridiculous warning as I mumbled.

“You’re saying that I’ll get into a rom-com situation with a boy like Keita Amano. Hmph! That’s impossible.”

I shrugged alone.

Then, to change into my home clothes, I took off my jeans and t-shirt before throwing them around. I walked back into the living room with my underwear on only.

<Time until Keita Amano’s girlfriend enters Ayumu Kiriya’s apartment: 6 months>



No comments:

Post a Comment