Friday, November 13, 2020

Gamers! DLC Chapter 1

Chapter 1 – Gamers and War of Gaming

Translator: your_pingas




"Speaking of games, the ones in the past should be better, right?"

Aguri-san is still clicking on her phone with a humpbacked position today, just as usual. She lazily questioned something about gaming.

The gal that has absolutely zero sense in gaming said that. …It made the three of us – Keita Amano, Karen Tendou, and Chiaki Hoshinomori, immediately dropped what we were doing.

So, the normie that's usually a bridge between ordinary people and gamers, Tasuku Uehara-kun, tried to comfort us. "Alright, alright."

"You guys know Aguri's not trying to mean anything, right? Calm down."

He put up a smile. However, I still answered with an irritated face.

"If you think everything can be forgiven as long as they didn't mean it, you're dead wrong, Uehara-kun. For example, …if someone accidentally pressed the nuke launch button and caused the apocalypse, will you forgive him just because he didn't mean it?"

"That metaphor is way too ridiculous!"

Uehara-kun complained. However, strangely, my nemesis Chiaki helped me out at this time.

"No, I feel like that's really close to what Aguri-san just said! If you threw a bomb like that during a gamers' online meeting, a real-life wrestling fight is bound to happen in 30 minutes!"

"Gamers are way too easy to piss off! Hey, help me out here, Tendou!"

"I understand. Well, Aguri-san, please come here and grit your teeth."

"I can't believe you're the easiest one to piss off! Don't slap someone because of this!"

Uehara-kun finally stood up and stopped us. We can only pause in the middle of our anger unwillingly.

…Aguri-san, who's still isn't used to this, stopped clicking on her phone and sat upright to face us.

"Uh, …I feel like I should say sorry. Like what Tasuku just said, I really didn't mean it…"

After hearing her apology, the three of us more or less calmed down. Then, we apologized as well. After that, Aguri-san spoke up again, tremblingly.

"However, …think about it, you can see that everywhere on the internet and at some other places. People often say, 'The good old days are better.' Although we can see that in every realm, from my impression, I can hear that the most in the gaming industry. T-This is just what I personally feel, though…"

Aguri-san finished her speech while shivering. I sighed at her look before deciding to agree, unwillingly.

"Ay, …I guess you're right. You can see 'the past is better' everywhere in the film and entertainment industry. But, I guess it appears more frequently in the gaming world."

Chiaki agreed with what I said.

"Yeah. Perhaps it's because this industry has many serialized games accumulated through the ages, and the old version often receives remakes. Also, technology's catching up fast."

Aguri-san, who doesn't understand what she just said, tilted her head. "Hiya?"

"If that's the case, basically, aren't games always improving then? It's like computers, right. When the industry advances, …uh, the graphics will be better, right?"

After hearing what she said, we, "the people that are actually playing the games…"

"…Sigh."

Including Uehara-kun, the four of us sighed deeply.

Aguri-san protested strongly.

"Why are you guys giving me a 'this girl doesn't know anything' vibe! What did I say!"

"No, … it's about your 'the graphics got better' speech. …Although the way you put it is pretty dumb, you didn't say anything wrong. By the way, graphics, …graphics, right?"

"Alright, Amanocchi, come here and grit your teeth."

"The term 'grit your teeth' appeared twice within 5 minutes from the start of the discussion. I think this Hobby Club is way too vicious. Ay, but, …sorry, I guess I did act a bit rude there. Aguri-san, it's just like what you said. Gaming technology has indeed advanced a lot. Graphics are getting better, and the loading time is significantly reduced, while some focused on online battles…"

"Right? Uh, …if that's the case, then modern games are indeed better, right. The 'good old days' faction is just a bunch of otakus that beautify their memories, am I correct?"

"…Sigh."

"Please don't give me this kind of 'hopelessness' so explicitly, alright! You guys said that non-gamers can enter the Game Hobby Club, right!"

Her boyfriend, Uehara-kun, answered what Aguri-san said helplessly.

"You're right. …However, how should I put it? Everything that you said will make all gamers' hmph' out loud."

"What do you mean?"

"Uh, … here's an example. You love family restaurants, right? Then, if people that don't go to the restaurants casually said 'why don't we visit a better one instead of family restaurants' while chatting, how would you feel?"

"…Hmph!"

"Exactly."

"I see." Aguri-san understood Uehara-kun's explanation as she agreed. They're really couples, what a way to present themselves. However, I guess Aguri-san is still not entirely convinced. She continued questioning us.

"Hmm, …but that's not the same as meals. In reality, modern games just have more parts that are better than old ones, and yet the past is still better?"

After hearing that, I immediately denied with a "no, no, no."

"Actually, we're not saying that old games are better. Even so, it doesn't mean that current games are better than the past as a whole. It's like the relationship between family restaurants and regular diners. You can't just say one is nicer than the other."

"Oh, I see. In other words, … it's like Bamboo Shoot Chocolate and Mushroom Hill Chocolate!" [Note: It's a meme about the two sister brands of Meiji chocolate. Japanese people like to fight over who's the supreme one, and the company hosted a contest to raise sales successfully.]

"No, Mushroom Hill Chocolate is obviously better!” "No, Bamboo Shoot Chocolate is obviously better!" 

The four voices overlapped each other at the same time. Moreover, Tendou-san and Uehara-kun are in the "Mushroom" faction, while Chiaki and I belong to the "Bamboo" faction.

"…………"

Sparks soon ignited between us. Then, …Aguri-san was dumbfounded.

"…Anyway, about that, I felt that I was adding fuel to the fire. Sorry."

A truce was made between us from what she said. …Even though Bamboo Shoot is definitely tastier! I'm not planning to back down! Hiya, Tendou-san's glaring at me. Ugh, …even if I'm fighting with Tendou-san, I will never back down on this one…"

"Ahem!"

Chiaki cleared her throat. She continued and brought us back. "However, it's actually…"

"This conflict has always existed, about whether the past is better."

"In reality, vintage games are fun."

I glanced at Uehara-kun with a shocked expression after he said that.

"Eh, Uehara-kun is in the nostalgic tribe?"

"I guess so? It's because I played games for longer in the past."’

Tendou-san agreed as well.

“I think so. Although I admit, the online match environment is much better than the past, from a simple, fast competitive perspective, and the epitome of reaching new high scores, I think the ones in the past are the best.”

After I heard their opinion, I nodded and agreed. “I see…” On the other hand, I retorted.

“From my perspective, if I including some of my personal, twisted opinions, I guess I’m in the modern faction. It’s because the voice of old games is better is always the loudest. ‘No, no, no, modern games aren’t going to lose as well’ is what I feel often.”

Unexpectedly, my rival Chiaki strongly agreed with what I said.

“Ah, yes, yes, yes! Keita, I feel the same too! I should say, I hope that I can objectively acknowledge the added scores from my memories.”

“Yeah, yeah! Exactly, Chiaki!”

Chiaki and I just started chatting excitedly. -So, Uehara-kun and Tendou-san got into a sour mood and retorted us.

“N-No, even if we deduce the impression scores from the memories, the simple yet creative titles in the past are elegant. This is an obvious fact…”

“Ha?”

“Ha?”

A murderous atmosphere immediately engulfed the Game Hobby Club. Aguri-san gulped.

“Well, …e-everyone? I-I’m thinking whether we should move on…”

However, what she said was entirely ignored. -The two groups started battling.

Firstly, I reminded the two of them with a bitter smile.

“No, no, no, Tendou-san, Uehara-kun, you two have to see the reality calmly. While vintage games are indeed amazing, but the modern games that ‘inherited’ those works are pretty fun as well. You need to acknowledge that.”

However, Tendou-san responded to what I said with a cold laugh. “Ha!”

“Things that inherited famous titles will definitely be better? Aren’t you being too shallow, Amano-kun?”

“Even though it’s not vastly surpassing the first one, they’ll still improve in small areas….”

I tried to smooth things over, yet Tendou-san sighed as she continued reviewing sequels negatively.

“Messed up new elements, removing the best plot in the first game, overly looking for creative elements, and resulted in a story that can’t resonate with the audience at all. Also, they keep up the sales figures with a bunch of paid DLC and half-hearted 3D attempts.”

“Ugh!”

Chiaki and I took severe damage! We can’t help but press our chests as we moaned. However, Tendou-san is still trying to go on.

“Ah, also, personally, I think this kind of ‘RPG that emphasizes ACT battle’ is surging in popularity recently. If I have to list out actual examples-“

“Don’t.”

It’s not just Chiaki and me. Even Uehara-kun stopped her with a serious look.

Tendou-san tilted her head for a moment. “Ay, whatever.” She still pressed on.

“Anyway, some games screwed up because they inherited the famous titles in the past. Some focused on developing new techniques, and it reduced the playability of the game. This is what I’m bringing up. In other words, …if the two factions are fighting, the ‘old games are better’ side will definitely win!” 

“Ugh, ughh…”

Our faces are getting stiffer and stiffer. In comparison, Tendou-san and Uehara-kun’s faces are starting to show a confident smile. Also, …Aguri-san began to clicking on her phone again.

Just as I’m wholly destroyed, Chiaki retorted for me sheepishly.

“…T-The two nostalgic members, aren’t you being a little too cunning with your point?”

“Why?”

Tendou-san raised her eyebrows. Chiaki lowered her head and continued.

“I-Indeed, there are a lot of famous games in the past. So, it’s a fact that some series are ‘sinking’ down. However…”

At this point, Chiaki suddenly raised her face and pointed out her proposal loudly.

“Behind all that, the endless desert of history is also filled with a bunch of crappy titles. That’s also a fact, right!”

“Uwah!”

This time, Tendou-san and Uehara-kun pressed their chests. Chiaki pressed on.

“There are a bunch of crappy game disasters in the past that can’t even be imagined with modern metrics, right! Think about it! Nowadays, the games released as free mobile versions that got brutally complained once sold by nearly 8,000 yen! A generation of innocent kids was bombed by these landmines!”

“U-Ugh…”

“People only remember those fun experiences when they’re memorizing games in the past! However, I feel like you guys should remember those ‘how did they screw it up’ experiences too! Don’t just throw out all those good old days from Super Nintendo and Square Enix! Please try to remember! Many crappy games randomly got a contract with a celebrity, and the weird ones adapted from a famous manga artist!”

“AHHHHHHH!”

At last, Tendou-san and Uehara-kun’s camp wrapped their hands around their head and started struggling. As for Chiaki and me, we raised and high fived each other in satisfaction. …I slightly changed my mind for you, Chiaki!

-So, we started a continuous, back-and-forth tug of war between games.

“Old games got a ‘soul’ in them.” “If we can play old games right now, we can say that ‘now’ is eternally the peak of gaming.” “No, those experiences can only be gained when you play in that era.” “You can feel that in this generation as well!”

Anyway, we can’t reach a conclusion, but that’s why it’s so intense.

So, just as the conflict is reaching its climax…

“Right-“ Aguri-san suddenly interrupted as she raised her head. Then, she threw another grenade at us with a super relaxed look.

“By the way, speaking of consoles, Nintendo’s the best, right?”

“…………”

Right away, we stopped arguing about whether old games are better as we fell silent. Just as Aguri-san is frozen, …all of us shrugged and mumbled.

“…That’s what a non-gamer looks like…”

“Hey, what’s with that attitude! I really hate the Game Hobby Club today!”

Aguri-san put her phone on the table as she started throwing tantrums. I sighed helplessly before facing her again.

“Aguri-san, …I didn’t know you are literally the John Paul of today’s Game Hobby Club.”

“I really didn’t expect myself to be compared to the antagonist that tried to spark civil wars across the globe in Project Itoh’s <Genocidal Organs> either!”

“I didn’t know that a gal actually knows where John Paul came from!”

In a sense, this is the most unexpected event of this year. However, I think this gal focused on her grades before she got into high school. …She really matches me in some weird perspectives.

So, just as we’re somehow smiling mischievously at each other with our shared knowledge. People started to give us a suspicious look. Aguri-san cleared her throat and continued.

“C-Come to think of it, why are you guys not satisfied? You will think of Mario when it comes to gaming, ad then you will think of Nintendo when you brought up Mario, right? In other words, isn’t Nintendo the best in the industry?” 

“What an amazingly new logic!”

Gamers can never think of it like this. Including Uehara-kun, all of the Game Hobby Club members shook their heads. So, Aguri-san added fuel to the fire casually once more.

“Well, how about I guess something else? It’s PS, right. Playstation’s the best, right?”

“Please stop.”

The Game Hobby Club started trembling. What’s wrong with this gal? Is she really going to be the John Paul of the gaming industry? She didn’t say all that on purpose, right?

I guess Tendou-san can’t take it anymore. “Listen.” She raised a finger and started explaining to the gal.

“That’s just like arguing whether the past or present is better, especially for the fight between consoles. It’s an extremely sensitive topic on the internet.”

“Oh, I see. …Well, in the end, which console is the no.1?”

“You didn’t understand what I mean at all! The point is not on who’s the best!”

“Eh, …why are we concluding this like a cheap sports event where everyone is no.1? It’s boring…”

“W-Why are you saying it’s boring? …Uh, …Aguri-san, how about I ask a family restaurant lover like you this…”

“What?”

“Speaking of family restaurants, which chain is the best?”

The family restaurant lover Aguri-san bounced up angrily upon hearing that question.

“What do you mean by ‘the best,’ explain it! I can’t answer such a vague question! All family restaurants have different good points! Everyone is different, and everyone is good!”

“Exactly!”

“Ahh!”

Aguri-san immediately got convinced. …Tendou-san’s amazing.

She said this after taking her seat.

“Wel, how about I put this in a survey mode> Uh, …personally, which is the best console in your eyes? This question is okay, right?”

“Yep, sure.”

“Uwah, …this group of chic gaming otakus pisses me off…”

Although Aguri-san regretted the moment she asked us, we didn’t listen to her.

Everyone thought about it silently for 10 seconds. Then, I guess we reached our own answers. …This friendly group shared the same opinion for the most part. -So, with that in mind, we responded at the exact same time.

“Nintendo 3DS.” “Xbox One.” “Playstation Vita.” “Mobile.”

…………

“…Huh?”

The four of us started bickering again. At the same time, Aguri-san noticed the mood. So, she ejected herself from our conversation with a “thanks for the work, everyone.”

However, gamers like us can’t spare any time to care about her already.

First of all, I smiled…and pulled a fast one.

“No, no, no, please don’t act like that, alright? I feel like a real gamer should bring up a not-too-popular console. Usually, how should I put it? …People ‘normally’ answer with 3DS since it’s the most secure option.”

However, Tendou-san interrupted me and spoke up.

“I’m so disappointed with you, Amano-kun. I can’t believe you call yourself my boyfriend.”

“Uh, I don’t really call myself ‘I’m Tendou-san’s boyfriend’ outside…”

“…W-Well, then you can bring this up to others more confidently. I-It’s because you’re my proud boyfriend…”

“…I-I understand. Uh, …I-I’m…Tendou-san’s boyfriend! Yes!”

“Amano-kun…”

“Tendou-san…”

Both of us looked at each other while blushing. Uehara-kun and Chiaki immediately interrupted. “Hey, what’s happening!?” They complained about us.

The two of us cleared our throats as we started battling again.

“Even so, I’m still really disappointed with you, Amano-kun. Even though I love you wholeheartedly as a boy.”

“That’s my line, Tendou-san. You picked Xbox One. …It sounds like a console loved by hardcore gamers. …Even though I love you because of that, partially.”

“Jeez, you’re annoying, Amano-kun. I really love that part of yours.”

“You too, your understanding of casual players will never pass a certain boundary. I really love this determined side of yours too.”

“What kind of argument is this!”

The three violently complained about us once we snapped out of it. …Although Tendou-san and I didn’t understand why we’re being blamed, we still stopped flirting with each other. …Then, we dragged Uehara-kun and Chiaki into the discussion and started again.

“Well, why did Chiaki suggest PSV then? It feels a bit surprising. If we’re picking handheld consoles, my impression of you is a 3DS player…”

Chiaki shook her seaweed head helplessly at my question.

“Keita, I’m so disappointed with you. I can’t believe you’re calling yourself my rival.”

“Uh, Chiaki, it’s okay for me to not call you my rival…”

After I answered, Chiaki suddenly started asking me with tears in her eyes for some reason.

“Why, why! If we’re going with the flow, it should be just like what you said to Tendou-san. You’re supposed to beg me and act more like a tsundere!”

“N-No, I mean, it’s fine if I’m in front of my girlfriend. However, why do I have to act like a tsundere in front of my rival…?”

“Keita, …y-you would want to become a rival with a special place in my heart, right! Right!?”

“Ehh…? Oh, …yep, yeah. I guess…so?”

The seaweed head that’s begging for some reason makes me feel sincerely sympathetic. So, I can only answer this. So, Chiaki immediately puffed up her chest and exhaled from her nose loudly.

“Jeez, you can’t be helped, Keita! Ay, even though I can already see that you were still far from a man when you recommended 3DS! I can’t believe you’re calling me your rival. That’s hilarious!”

“I really have no idea what Ms. Seaweed Head is trying to say here.”

What’s wrong with this girl? Is she emotionally unstable? Also, why did Tendou-san glared at Chiaki and me? Moreover, why are Uehara-kun and Aguri-san giving me an extremely disgusting smile? I really don’t know how did the Game Hobby Club’s mood turn into this. Is it because I’m a loner? Or is it because I’m not observant enough?

Just as I’m spiraling down into a vortex of confusion, Chiaki continued.

“It’s because the current PSV is ‘just right’ for a handheld console, right? Whether it's about capabilities, graphics, and the software in store. Moreover, I don’t really care about 3D vision, so PSV is the only choice!”

“How should I put it? …W-What a common reason.”

“W-What’s wrong with being common! I don’t want to hear that from a normal-type like you!”

Although Chiaki is quite pissed, in reality, it’s a regular opinion, so it got a common understanding. I have nothing to retort.

I can only change the topic.

“If we take a hundred steps back, Chiaki’s choice is alright. …The problem is with Uehara-kun. Why did you choose smartphones? You answered that when we’re asking for your favorite console. Uehara-kun, are you the weird kid that answers ‘human’ when you’re asked what your favorite animal is? Is that so?”

“W-What’s with that tone! There’s nothing wrong with loving smartphones! You and Hoshinomori love playing mobile games so much!”

“While that’s true…”

Indeed, I spent a lot of time on mobile games too. So, I never think that mobile games aren’t real games. However…

This time, Tendou-san helped me and complained about Uehara-kun.

“But when you answer smartphones when asked ‘your favorite console,’ instead of saying you’re trying to trick us, it’s more like you’re just being stubborn.”

Uehara-kun finally stood up and protested after hearing what she said.

“What’s wrong! You guys are all ganging up on me! You’re saying that like I’m a narcissist that’s reveled with this ‘I got a temper, so I’m amazing’ mood!”

“…………”

“What’s with that look! Eh, what, don’t tell me people really view me like that!”

Uehara-kun’s expression turned cold, so I answered him with a bitter smile.

“Indeed, …Uehara-kun, you once suddenly compared yourself with Aesop’s fables…”

“S-Stop it! Also, it’s not like what you guys think! I’m really fond of smartphones! After all, you can download all the RPG remakes in the past with way lower prices. Also, the graphics are quite nice, and the controls are easy. Most importantly, it’s very convenient. Come to think of it, smartphones already surpassed all those similar-looking consoles, right.”

“…I guess so.”

Indeed, smartphones’ evolution in gaming software has improved a lot. From this perspective, of course, I agree that mobile phones are excellent consoles. However…

Just as the three of us are hiding our thoughts inside our hearts, Aguri-san, who’s as sharp as usual, suddenly mumbled.

“I feel like this is what Tasuku’s trying to say. It’s like a ‘which family restaurant is your favorite’ questionnaire. Still, you just have to write, ‘I love touring food streets because I can try out more dishes.’ …Does it feel like that?”

“Exactly!”

“Ugh!”

Uehara-kun sulkily hmphed while we’re convinced with the excellent metaphor. Even though Aguri-san knows nothing at all, …her words can still point at the exact center.

When she turned her attention back to her phone, Tendou-san continued for the speechless Uehara-kun.

“By the way, why is everyone focusing on convenience so much? If we’re from a simple ‘high-quality gaming experience’ perspective, home consoles are the only options, right?”

Chiaki retorted what she said.

“However, if that’s the case, shouldn’t we just buy a PC, no, the entire arcade cabinet?”

“Logically, we should be able to limit the area to ‘home consoles,’ right. Then, I’ll still recommend Xbox One.”

Tendou-san emphasized her “logical” speech, and it damaged Uehara-kun mentally as he let out a moan. Accidentally insulting others while not meaning it, …Tendou-san often does that.

I guess Chiaki got competitive after seeing Tendou-san’s attitude, so she continued to fight.

“I-If we’re talking about gameplay experience, everyone bringing their handheld consoles together and beating the level is something that you can’t get on home consoles!”

Chiaki does have a point. I can’t help but feel throbbed as I voiced my support. “I guess so. Perhaps it’s really like what Chiaki said.”

At the next moment, Tendou-san, who looks a bit irritated, smiled as she dropped something brutal.

“Hiya, but what does that have to do with loners like you two?”

“Uwah!”

Chiaki and I immediately did a blood-spilling pose! We took massive mental damage! However, Tendou-san pressed on.

“Y-You can go online on handheld consoles too…”

I retorted sheepishly. However, Tendou-san immediately defeated me.

“Yeah. However, if that’s the case, home consoles give you a smoother experience, right?”

“Ugh…”

“Moreover, most importantly, in terms of you two’s situation…”

“W-What…”

Chiaki and I started trembling from the forewarning of a powerful attack.

As for Tendou-san, …she smiled while presented us with the cruel truth without hesitation.

“In the end, you two just keep your consoles at home to play, am I right?”

“AHHHHHHHHH!”

Revealing the truth in front of otakus is way too brutal! Yeah! We spend time on it after school or when we’re out, but loners are almost always home! What’s wrong with that!? Why does it matter!?

…Chiaki and I glared at Tendou-san with tears in our eyes.

I guess Tendou-san felt a bit guilty, so she looked away with a stiff face. “Ugh!”

“A-Anyway, I don’t have a grudge against handheld consoles. I’m good as long as the title of King of Consoles belongs to home consoles. Hohoho…”

Tendou-san acted smugly. Chiaki, Uehara-kun, and I clenched our fists, unwilling to admit defeat.

During this time, …Aguri-san corrected all of us calmly.

“Uh, but I didn’t even ask who’s the king of consoles…”

“Eh?”

“More importantly, based on what I’ve heard, I would think my boyfriend’s smartphone recommendation is the best for games since I’m not familiar with it.”

“Eh!” “Aguri!”

Three gamers are showing their discontent explicitly, while a boyfriend is breaking down into tears since his girlfriend voiced out for him.

…The discussion ended up getting nowhere. So, Tendou-san changed the subject once again.

“However, come to think of it. Basically, I always feel ‘these guys really have the energy to argue with each other’ when I see gaming debates like this online. …Then, I can’t help but feel triggered before I snapped out of it.”

Chiaki agreed with her too.

“Yeah, yeah! Actually, I do love old games too, and I’m a big fan of home consoles. …However, I didn’t realize I’m this biased to one side.”

Uehara-kun and I went along with their opinions as well.

“Indeed. Usually, my bias towards handheld consoles is around 6:4. However, I realized the stance that I just took is basically a 10:0.”

“Ay, it’s not just gaming. We can see that in every argument. It’s like a see-saw, you can’t stop once you started leaning towards one side, and you won’t change side either.”

After Uehara-kun made a conclusion, the gal shrugged helplessly.

“Jeez, that’s why I hate gaming introverts.”

“Shut up, you’re the one who caused all this.”

Everyone’s blaming look pissed Aguri-san off as she retorted. “What!?” …Uh, Aguri-san, perhaps you weren’t aware of it. But, based on the situation, your attitude is almost like the final boss in a game. Seriously, at least you only caused an argument between gamers right now.

During this time, Uehara-kun suddenly looked at the clock in the classroom. Then, we realized that time’s almost up.

“Well, we’ll end this here?”

“Thanks for the work, everyone.”

After a mild announcement of dismissal, each of us started to pack up. Since it’s the Hobby Club, we didn’t have any rules for things like this. From a conclusion’s perspective, …are all the members supposed to yell, “This is the end of today’s gaming discussion!” together? Well, I don’t want to do that. However, I actually want to see Tendou-san doing a weird pose embarrassingly. I should say I really want to see it.

Just as I’m thinking about useless stuff, Tendou-san grabbed her bag and talked to me.

“Well, Amano-kun, what are you going to do next?”

“Ah, yes, I was planning how to embarrass you when I’m on the way home.”

“Hiya, what did this boyfriend of mine just say?”

Crap. I quickly took back what I said and answered again.

“I’m planning to go home…without thinking about anything. Seriously.”

“It’s been a long time since I’ve heard such an untrustworthy testimony. …Sigh, whatever. Uh, do you want to show up in the Game Club with me?”

“Ah, going to the Game Club…”

The Game Club is different than our Game Hobby Club. It’s a legitimate club activity where everyone hones their gaming skills with Tendou-san as its head. With this relationship, I went to the Game Club a couple times. However, the style of their club has a subtle distance from a casual player like me…

“No, I don’t think I should go. Based on what happened today, I feel like I’ll start a brainless conflict with the Game Club…”

“Yeah, I figured it out.”

Tendou-san smiled bitterly. During this time, Aguri-san and Uehara-kun finished packing first, so they left together. After we bid farewell, Tendou-san turned to Chiaki, who’s searching for something in her bag.

“Ah, Hoshinomori-san, do you want to go to the Game Club with me?”

“Eh?”

I was slightly startled at the unexpected invitation. But, of course, Chiaki freaked out and rejected.

“N-No thanks, I really appreciate you for inviting me. However, I’m afraid that I’ll disturb the club’s atmosphere. Well, I’m not used to be in the Game Club anyway…!”

“Hoho, you really sound like Amano-kun. How regrettable, I’m rejected again.”

Tendou-san didn’t seem to particularly mind the fact that she’s rejected, and she even smiled. So, for some reason, Chiaki and I pressed our chests in relief.

The three of us tagged along as we left the classroom. We’re walking across the corridor. Unexpectedly, it’s just the three of us, and I’m in the center somehow. Instead of saying that I’m hugging girls left and right, …this looks more like I’m between an angel and demon. Stuck between my beloved girlfriend and the rival that always bickers with me, …what should I even feel right now?

Just as I’m getting nervous, Tendou-san spoke up.

“…I’m sorry, you two.”

“Eh?”

Tendou-san suddenly apologized. Chiaki and I tilted our heads in sincere confusion. After Tendou-san glanced at us, she smiled bitterly and continued.

“After the debate went hot, I feel like I’m practically throwing insults out left and right.”

“…Ah.”

It looks like she’s remembering the loner speech she made during the console conflict. Chiaki and I immediately denied.

“No, no, no, if we’re talking about that, both of us said a lot of mean things too. I guess we’re now equal.”

“Yeah, yeah! Keita’s right, Tendou-san! That was way better than Keita and I going all out and slamming each other!”

“Thanks for that.”

Tendou-san smiled after she said that. Then, she sighed exhaustedly.

“However, like what I’ve said before, I still shouldn’t spew out all those things. I always get angry once something matters to me…”

Chiaki agreed with her.

“Yeah. It’s hard for you to not want to win when you put a lot of emotions in it.”

“Yeah, …hiya, I’m going to the Game Club. I’ll bid farewell here.”

When we reached the school entrance, Tendou-san stopped. So, after we said goodbye, perhaps she wants to leave a proof of reconciliation, she put her right hand to Chiaki and asked for a handshake. Although Chiaki blushed in embarrassment, she still grabbed her hand tightly and shook it a couple times. What a heartwarming scene. I’m just as relieved when I can see these two are getting along-‘

“Well, well, Tendou-san! Good luck with your club! I’ll go home with Keita together! See you!”

“…Hmm?”

Tendou-san’s face immediately turned stiff along with her smile…? Huh, what’s wrong? I’m not that dense. As Tendou-san’s boyfriend, I know that she’s unhappy, …yet I’m uncertain why.

However, they ignored my confusion and continued the conversation while still holding their hands with a smile.

“H-Hoshinomori-san? If I remembered correctly, …your home is in the opposite  direction of Amano-kun’s, right?”

“Ah, yes! But ‘the two of us’ ‘want to visit the game store’ ‘together’ before we go home! Ah, this is just a pure coincidence!”

Chiaki told her this without meaning anything. Although Chiaki’s just describing the fact, …I don’t understand why she’s incredibly excited about staying next to her rival.

Just as I’m dumbfounded by this menacing aura that’s radiating around, Tendou-san’s face twitched even harder.

“R-Really…? Well. I-If you two are just going to the game store, it’s natural to go together. It can’t be helped, …perhaps.”

“Yes! Exactly! ‘It can’t be helped!’ Sigh, I can’t believe I’m going out with Keita. What a pain! …Hohoho.”

The seaweed girl is laughing like an idiot. …What’s wrong with her?

(…Don’t tell me she’s planning to drag me into an alley and punch me when we’re heading back?)

Come to think of it, it’s reasonable for my rival to be this excited. I theorized that I’m in big trouble soon, so I started shivering. As for Tendou-san, her face kept twitching as she pressed on.

“I-If that’s the case, …t-there are games that I want to check out too. Well, I don’t mind skipping the club today and going with you two…”

At the moment Tendou-san said that, Chiaki’s the one who’s smile turned stiff this time.

“Y-You can’t do that! There’s no way you can do that! Say no to skipping club activities!”

“I-I’m just skipping the club. Why are you saying that like I’m a drug addict…”

“No, no, no, it’s crucial to participate in clubs! Yes, no need to say anything! Tendou-san, you’re the Game Club president, right! That’s before you became Keita’s girlfriend! That’s before you became a member of the Game Hobby Club! That’s before you were even born!”

“Uh, I think my life’s more important than being a club president…”

Tendou-san was slightly startled by Chiaki’s enthusiastic attitude. As for me, …I can’t help but feel horror at what Chiaki just said. That’s because…

(The only reason that my rival is trying her best to persuade her, …yes, she’s definitely trying to beat me up! We’ll be going to some lonely and dark alleys!”

I’m sure of my own theory. However, Chiaki didn’t seem to care about our reactions and continued.

“Anyway! You can leave two people chatting happily while heading to the game store to Keita and me! That’s not what a girlfriend is responsible for! That’s the rival’s responsibility!”

“No, that’s absolutely what a girlfriend should do!”

Their argument is getting heated. There’s no way for me to interrupt already. Also, …when they’re yelling at each other, my precious after school time is still disappearing second by second.

I stared at their pointless argument for a moment. …Then, I made an extremely reasonable conclusion.

(Right, I’ll make a beeline to home alone. Why do I have to wait to be punched here.)

Thanks to my long-term loner experience, I’m great at hiding my movements.

I secretly disappeared from their argument. Then, I quickly changed my shoes and left the school. I reached the road that heads toward downtown.

The sun is slowly setting within the gardens. I looked at the idyllic scenery unintentionally. …At the same time, I realized the conclusion we reached today contradicts the conflict that Tendou-san and Chiaki are in. So, I can’t help but mumble.

“Huh? People still get angry even if it’s not about something they love…”

…It looks like the world isn’t that simple.

I acknowledged the unbelievability of interpersonal relationships. …However, at the next moment, I started looking forward to the game store.

I’m casually strolling alone on the road painted with the sunset just as usual.




No comments:

Post a Comment