Friday, March 5, 2021

Gamers! Volume 10 Chapter 2

Chapter 2 – Main Fushiguro and Underling Training

Translator: your_pingas

What in the world is everyone looking for in a story’s protagonist?

Is it resonance? Belief? Strength? Or the narrative ability?

I guess all of us have different standards for a protagonist. However, I, Keita Amano, feel like the most important thing is “yearning.”

I don’t need to describe external factors like being popular with girls or having insane abilities.

The protagonists’ beliefs or reserved inner attractiveness make me respect them from the bottom of my heart.

In summary, to me, a so-called protagonist is a person that I would “yearn” for.

At least, what I can be sure is that-

“Hehehe! Hiya, Main-sama looks good in everything! Hehe!”

-That’s not a wretched high school year 2 guy that ditches his lover on the weekend near Valentine’s Day to flatter a beautiful flight attendant.

It’s been nearly a week since I’m owned by Main-san.

I’m giving my all in being Main-san’s underling today as well.

“By the way, what’s with this festive aura everywhere? Hey.”

Main-san glared ferociously at the afternoon shopping street flooded in Valentine’s Day’s sales. She’s still grumbling as usual.

Right next to her, I’m carrying numerous paper bags with both of my hands. Then, I sighed and agreed with her, “Yeah… (humorous)”

“This idea always shows up in my head every year I see this scene. -It would be great if all chocolate exchanged between boys and girls is mixed with horse shit during this period.”

“Amako, you’re so stylishly disgusting.”

“I’ll get embarrassed if you praise me like that. (humorous).”

“You’re really disgusting.”

Main-san fell a bit speechless. …Even the craziest person I know is done with me. This hurts me quite a lot.

When my eyes turned dark, Main-san smacked her tongue before continuing.

“By the way, Amako, when can you return to normal?”

“What are you talking about? (humorous)”

“Your way of talking. I told you to stop adding weird attributes onto yourself.”

“Eh. But, this is how I always talk, my lord...”

“Don’t tell me a bold-faced lie.”

“Ow, ow, it hurts! (humorous)”

Main-san didn’t even care we’re on the main street. She pinched my cheeks and started pulling them. …Why is she messing with me in the same way as Aguri-san does? Perhaps I should say they are really relatives, right…

She saw that I didn't intend on changing my tone and sighed. …However, at the next second, she looked at me cheerfully for some reason.

“You’re really sly, Amako.”

“…Really? (humorous)”

I still put up my insane tone to avoid any internal communication with her as I looked away.

-Even when my ownership was robbed away, I still can’t take my hate off a terrible person. This can’t be helped.

Of course, I’ll abide by the promise and listen to all of her orders. As long as she said I’m going shopping with her, even though I was planning to search for a game controller that day, I’d drop everything and rush to her and become a slave. I guess I’ll immediately lie down and lick her shoes without hesitation if she ordered me.

-At least that’s what it’s like on the surface.

“Well, where are we going next, Main-sama?”

I turned back to Main-san’s direction and showed her a delinquent underling’s smile.

Honestly, this attitude is a bit too perverse. It’s normal for her to feel pissed. But…

“Hmm, let me think. …Well, let’s go to the mall there. We’re moving, Amako.”

“…Okay.”

Main-san isn’t especially mad at me. She just walked first and made the order calmly. I followed her as I remembered the “underling life” I’ve had for this week.

(…Honestly, …it’s a bit different from my imagination…)

I secretly glanced at the silver-haired woman that’s humming a song as she walked on the street. She’s not wearing her flight attendant suit today. Instead, it’s a wine-red jacket that can emphasize her height. She looks even slimmer now.

“By the way, that staff member is such a piece of trash. It’s already not the problem of whether she suits being in the service industry, alright. You can sometimes find those people that are useless at everything, just like Amako.”

Also, it’s just like this. She never minces her words. Instead, she’ll cut other people’s hearts into pieces with a dagger called logic. However…

“…Ah. Wait here, Amako.”

“Hmm? Sure…”

I suddenly received Main-san’s order and stopped at the side of the road. I was thinking about whether she’s going to the bathroom, so I looked in her direction dazedly. After that, I saw her running to the shopping street just then. Then…

“…Eh?”

…She started chatting with a muscular and bald foreigner that doesn’t look like her friend at all. Even if I’m looking from afar, I can see that guy’s dreadlocks and tattoos. Moreover, he’s holding a solid black Boston bag that can almost contain a person-

(…Hmm? Ah, based on his amount of luggage, I guess he’s a tourist, right?)

-I finally made a normal assumption at this point.

In reality, his face looks pretty gentle when talking to Main-san. At last, he even asked for a handshake with her.

Main-san greeted the man with a smile before turning around. Then, she gave me a poker face and waved at me to get me there. Her former attitude disappeared to nowhere. …Why can’t she keep her smile for just a bit longer? It’s not going to hurt, right…

I quickly dashed to her. Main-san then turned around and walked again as nothing happened.

“Let’s go.”

“Eh? N-No, no, no, no, no. You don’t need to explain what happened just then…?”

“Explain? I just showed him the way, right. What do I need to explain?”

“Uh? Ah, …that’s not what I…”

I still followed Main-san a bit confusedly. …Yes, I only understood this after being with her for a week. This person seems to be-

“Wait, yes, that’s you! Hey, the beautiful girl over there!”

“…?”

-During this time, an old lady carrying her shopping bag suddenly talked to us from in front. …I should say Main-san’s the one she wants to talk to.

The old lady fearlessly smiled as she kept patting Main-san’s shoulders.

“You’re amazing! It’s that guy, right! You showed that strong overseas man his way, right! That’s incredible! Right!?”

The old lady is smacking Main-san’s shoulders crazily. For some reason, there are a lot of these cheerful old ladies in the north. You can find at least five within my relatives. However-

(AH, …AHHHHH!)

-I know how violent Main-san is. So, I’m terrified of her friendly attitude.

It’s only a matter of time before this shopping street is stained with red if this continues. Just as I’m taking a step back…

Main-san, she answered the old lady with a gentle smile that I’ve never seen before.

“Hiya, you just saw that, old lady! It’s so embarrassing. I actually know a little bit of English despite how I look. So, I just did something extra without knowing it…”

“----“

W-WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!?

Main-san put her hand near her mouth elegantly and chuckled. I stood behind her, speechless.

The old lady looks attracted by her smile for a moment. After that, she smacked Main-san’s shoulders loudly and laughed before leaving.

“You’re incredible, no matter what! Here, take some candies!”

“Wow, thank you! I really love sweets!”

Main-san looks like she’s sincerely happy when she gets the lollipop from the old lady’s bag…

“Well, take care!”

“You too. I hope you can have a cheerful weekend, old lady.”

Main-san still laughed as she waved and greeted the old lady. Then, after the old lady got out of sight…

“Alright…”

She put out that original vicious expression again as if nothing had happened. After that, the woman just started putting the old lady’s lollipop in her mouth violently as she walked.

“N-No, no, no, no, no, no!”

I even forgot to keep my humorous character setting after seeing that. I grabbed her shoulder to make her turn to me and questioned!

“T-This is too weird!”

“You mean Amako’s brain?”

“This insult came just as quickly as usual! No, I’m saying this is weird!”

“Where?”

“You’re still asking that!? W-W-Why did you…”

I paused for a moment here before yelling at the top of my lungs.

“Why did you show that mature woman’s look!?”

“This is the first time that I really don’t understand why someone’s mad.”

Main-san licked the lollipop as she stared at me, speechless. …Ugh! What’s with this development that’s making me look like I’m the weird one!?

“No, but! Aren’t you Main-san!? Aren’t you Main-san from the Fushiguro residence!?”

“What do you know about my home?”

“Aren’t you Main the Demon King!?”

“Hell no. I don’t have a retarded alias like that. I’m just your average flight attendant, Main-san.”

“Yet, you…! You just acted like that…! It almost feels like you’re a conscientious and mature woman…!”

“…Hey, Amako. I bet you want to have round 2 with me then, right? Alright, if you’re asking for it-“

“Oh! Yes! This is the pressure I’m asking for! Ah, what a relief!”

“…You’re way too crazy. It’s disgusting.”

Main-san seems to be really dumbfounded, and her pressure disappears. She scratched her head impatiently before letting out a slight “ah.”

“…Is it because of that? Don’t tell me you always think that ‘I’ am always myself?”

“O-Of course. In reality, you’re always ‘I,’ right. You’ve been acting like this since we met when Mii-chan lost her way…”

“…Ah, …I see. Really. That’s why.”

She pulled out the lollipop from her mouth and pointed it at me.

“That’s just because the way I met you guys is too terrible.”

“…The way you met us?”

“Yeah. It’s because when I first saw you guys, weren't all of you just gathering around to prank a little girl?”

“That’s too biased, right!”

After she saw me complaining angrily, Main-san started licking the lollipop again and apologized to me casually like a child. “Don’t mind it.”

“Yeah, actually, I quickly understood that’s a misunderstanding. However, the problem is that you already saw my undisguised form for the first time.”

“Uh, …so, in other words, Main-san…normally treats someone that’s not especially close or hostile to you with…”

After she heard me mumbling, Main-san coughed. …After that, she faced me with the fake smile used on the old lady.

“Haha, Amano, you’re surely interesting.”

“-Bleugh, you disgust me.”

“I’ll kill you.”

Main-san immediately returned to her usual attitude and choked me. I returned to the living room after having a small talk with my deceased grandma as I coughed. Then, I faced Main-san again.

“But, I guess I understood. Indeed, after we met like that, you’ll just make us confused if you put out that fake ‘gentle’ attitude again.”

“Right?”

Main-san said that as she licked the lollipop violently again. …For some reason, I get the impression that she’s smoking right now.

She started stepping towards the mall again as she continued with a bored voice.

“However, did you really think that I don’t even put on a disguise while working?”

“Yeah. I thought you would yell, ‘Catch, this is your god damn rice’ and throw the meals to the airline passengers.”

“What kind of flight attendant is that?”

“Then, you’ll throw the troublesome people down from the skies.”

“Doesn't my image as a human look terrible in your eyes?”

“A-Also, when your addiction to Ace Combat kicks in, you’ll rob the joystick from the pilot and start flying it yourself, …or something like that.”

“…………”

“Uh, wait, why aren’t you retorting this time?”

“…I think I made the passengers enjoy a very cheerful and exciting journey.”

“Main-san!?”

Yep, this person is always terrible. Why does she put up that gentle face usually?

After I fell silent, Main-san chuckled a bit happily for some reason.

“You’re the one to talk, Amako. Aren’t you talking normally now?”

“Ugh. …N-No, this is…”

“This is more like you, after all. I love the original you more.”

“…Eh?

I felt confused when the demon king could say the word “love” so quickly. No, although I understand she’s not loving me the real way, …I never thought that she can say the word “love” so easily to someone. Even if it’s a simple interpersonal relationship…

(I can’t get her at all…)

I scratched my head silently next to her.

…After I became her underling, everything in the week has always been like this. She never treats me well, and her violence/insults keep piling on. …However, I feel like that “stingy” attitude in the past was gone, or should I say pressure?

No, even though it’s probably because I have nothing to lose, she…

“Right, we got to buy clothes for Mii as well.”

“…………”

…Perhaps she’s really a caring person to people that she has ownership of -which the people that she’s comfortable with. A lot of recent scenes made me have this idea-

“After all, my best entertainment is forcing her to wear different clothes.”

-Of course, sometimes I feel like that’s not true at all.

“So, prepare yourself to carry things until your hands break, Amako. However, I’ll kill you if you dropped something on the ground.”

Yep, I’m sorry. Pretend I haven’t said anything. Sorry, I just made everyone read something utterly trash.

Main-san entered the mall’s automatic door energetically with me, who’s dead exhausted.

-At this moment.

“Oh, that’s…”

“Hmm? What’s wrong, Main-san?”

Main-san squinted her eyes like she discovered something in front of her. I followed her gaze as well. Then, I saw the food court on the first floor. It’s a weekend afternoon, after all. It’s packed with families. Among them…

“…Ah.”

When I looked at the area closely, I saw two people that Main-san and I both know. Also, they just have to be…

“Hey, hey, Amako, now this is getting interesting. Hey.”

“Huh!?”

Main-san’s looking at my shocked face with a mischievous smile.

After all, the “state” of those two friends in the food court ahead is…

(Aguri-san’s feeding fries to Uehara-kun…!?)

I fell speechless with this untimely scene. Main-san saw that and started messing with me.

“Ara, ara? Hey, Amako? Isn’t my- no, aren’t you Agu’s dearest boyfriend?”

“Ugh…! Hmm, yeah. …I guess…so, right.”

I started profusely sweating as I looked away. …Indeed, I think everyone knows this already. The setting of “I’m Aguri-san’s boyfriend” still hasn’t been revealed to Main-san yet. …No, I should say that there’s no reason for me to tell her.

People always say, “Accompany the Buddha to the west.” She robbed my ownership, anyway. Why don’t I just keep making Main-san think that I’m Aguri-san’s boyfriend? This can further reduce Uehara-kun’s loss as well. [Note: It’s an idiom that means if you’re going to help, you might as well give it everything you got.]

So, this isn’t because Aguri-san’s too selfish or that I’m willing to sacrifice myself so much. It’s simply because that is the most reasonable solution. That’s why we’re keeping the lie as long as possible…

“Hiya, your girlfriend looks all lovey-dovey with another man.”

“Ugh, …I think so.”

“It’s literally like that guy is the real boyfriend, Amako.”

“Indeed, …you can’t say that’s not the case.”

Uehara-kun’s the same. He’s usually too embarrassed to do stuff like this. Yet, he just had to feed Aguri-san fries at a time like this. …W-What’s with this feeling? This anger is entirely different from jealousy. It really pisses me off when my friends show their love off while I’m in a troubling situation!

Main-san saw my expression and instigated me further.

“Oh, are you going to fight, Amako? Is this a battle? Battle?”

“…Why are you so happy?”

“Oh, it’s normal to feel happy, right? I love to see idiotic peasants messing up like this.”

“And you dare to oppose being called a demon king with your attitude?”

I can’t believe she can sincerely enjoy a violent drama between her cousin and boyfriend. What’s wrong with this person?

Main-san’s observing the entire thing excitedly. However, after she saw me stalling since I didn't know what to do, she shrugged her shoulders helplessly. After that…

“You’re loading too long, Amako. This is boring. Here, how about I call them instead?”

“Eh? Wait-“

“Hey, Agu, and that wild man over there!”

“Are your ability to read the mood utterly broken!?”

What’s wrong with this person? When the boyfriend’s freaking up since he saw his girlfriend cheating -at least that’s what it looks like now. How can she just talk to them without thinking about anything else?

That couple bulged their eyes after seeing Main-san yelling and waving her hands as she dashed to them. I can even feel that exclamation marks popped out of their heads.

“Ah, …sheesh…!”

I quickly chased after her. Uehara-kun and Aguri-san were shocked again after noticing my presence.

“Amanocchi, why are you…”

“No, even if you ask me…”

Aren’t you supposed to be the one that knows where Main-san and I are going to avoid us? I complained to her with my eyes. However, Aguri-san looks really surprised. She kept glancing over Main-san and me.

(Ah, it looks like Main-san tricked her…)

I guess I understood what’s happening. It’s just like that, anyway. Main-san told Aguri-san, “where she’s going to with Amako” today, and it’s nowhere near here at all. I think this is precisely what Main-san would do.

So, that strategist demon king turned around and looked at me before smiling.

“Alright, you can wrestle all you want now, Amako. …Fight.”

“Wrestle what? I don’t know how to fight.”

“I see. You’re not fighting. -Then, what are you going to do?”

“Eh?”

I was unsure after- feeling the “pressure” suddenly released by Main-san, which I haven’t experienced lately.

Aguri-san and Uehara-kun are holding their breaths as well. At the same time, Main-san glared at me like she already knew everything and further questioned.

“Are you going to pretend you didn’t see anything? Or would you try to cover it up with a bunch of stupid interactions? No, that’s fine. Don’t tell me you’re trying to smile and say ‘go ahead’ while lending Agu to somebody else? Ah?”

“M-Main-san?”

I was overwhelmed by her half characteristic, half unusual stingy attitude.

During this time, the person who has the highest tolerance to Main-san, Aguri-san, spoke up.

“N-N-No, it’s not like that, Mai-nee. We weren’t cheating or anything. …It’s just a punishment-like game between friends. That’s why we’re feeding fries. Right, Tasuku- Uehara-kun?”

“Huh! O-Ohh, of course, Aguri…-san.”

Uehara-kun seems to have immediately understood what’s happening and went along with Aguri-san. After that, he secretly glanced at me and asked for my approval with his eyes. “Is this okay?” So, I nodded repeatedly behind Main-san.

“I see. It’s a game.”

Main-san said that she didn’t accept their explanation at all. Then, she suddenly turned to me and asked.

“What do you think?”

“Uh, I…I choose to believe her. Also, I trust my friend Uehara-kun.”

“Really. That Uehara-kun guy over there is Amako’s friend too. …Come to think of it, I did remember seeing this face somewhere.”

Uehara-kun faked a smile at Main-san, who’s staring at him.

“Ah, it’s me! I let Mii-chan rode on my shoulder…”

“Oh, the main suspect.”

“That’s way too biased, right!”

Uehara-kun yelled something I seemed to have heard before.

Main-san put out a poker face before saying, “It’s just a joke.” Her voice doesn’t sound like she’s joking at all. After that, she asked.

“Well, let me ask you this, the Uehara-kun guy.”

“S-Sure, what is your inquiry?”

“It’s okay for my Agu and her boyfriend Amako to do the same thing, …which is feeding fries to each other, right?”

Main-san showed a mischievous smile and asked.

“…Uh, …o-of course, it’s entirely alright. Yes.”

Uehara-kun started sweating as he looked away and gave a weird reply. At the same time, Aguri-san and I are both furious.

(How can this person always mess with others in the most accurate spots…!?)

For what? Can you actually tell other people’s weak spots when you reached a certain level in gaming?

Honestly, whether it’s Aguri-san or me, feeding each other fries in front of Uehara-kun is the worst thing we can do. We absolutely don’t want to do it. Even though we don’t want to, …Uehara-kun already sacrificed himself so much to hide the lie. So, we can only abandon our lives and accompany him.

“C-Come here, Amanocchi. I’m feeding you fries.”

“W-Wow, I’m so blessed to have my dear girlfriend feeding fries to me!”

“S-Sheesh, don’t be like that, Amanocchi. …Here, say ah.”

“Ahaha, this is embarrassing, Aguri. …Ah.”

Although we act all lovey-dovey on the mouth, the two of us managed to finish feeding each other fries like we completed a quest. I bit into the fries that Aguri-san’s holding-

“Ah, wait, Amako, Agu. Now that we have the opportunity, why don’t you two feed each other with your mouths?”

Facing this sudden yet evil proposal, the three of us blushed in anger or something else.

“Hmm? What’s wrong? Aren’t Amako and Agu couples? Even though this is a bit embarrassing, you two don’t need to be that hesitant…”

“Ugh.”

“…Ah, but everything can be explained if you two are just pretending to be couples?”

“THIS EVIL GOD!”

What the hell? Is this person a more supreme being than the demon king? Is she a player that can observe our story and have the power to intervene freely?

Main-san looked at our reaction with a mischievous smile as she urged us.

“Hiya, you guys aren’t doing it? No? Really, that’s regrettable. In other words, this is concrete evidence that all of you are banding together and lying to me. Ouch, I’m hurt. This is too much. Well, …I guess I can only look forward to a little bit of COMPENSATION, right?”

Aguri-san and I can’t help but shiver since we know how risky it is for Main-san to ask for compensation.

However, at the next second, a hero slammed the table and rose up!

When Aguri-san and I are admiring him, the man- the hope of humanity, Tasuku Uehara, showed us the most refreshing smile we’ve ever seen.

“D-Do it, you two! I’m just you guys’ friend. It’s absolutely fine!”

(U-UEHARA-KUN!) (TASUKU!)

Have we seen a person trying his best to fake a refreshing smile? Nope, we haven’t.

(…Gulp.)

Aguri-san and I looked at each other with solemn determination. Then, we nodded.

-After that, we made up our mind and faced the glorious battle.

“Hiya, a-a lot of people are looking at us. I’m getting embarrassed, darling.”

Aguri-san said as she’s holding the end of the piece of fries with her mouth.

“Y-Yeah. But, …it’s just something that normal couples do, anyway. We can just do it, sweetheart.”

With that, I leaned forward and got my face close to the other side of the fries.

“Y-Yeah. We often do this alone, after all.”

“Yeah, yeah.

We looked like a lovely couple. However, actually, the dangling piece of fries on Aguri-san’s mouth is shivering, Uehara-kun’s smiling as blood is dripping off his fist, while Tendou-san’s smile appeared in my brain. …To put it simply, this is hell.

“Hey, hey, Amako, Agu, did you notice? …Right now, the entire food court is looking at you.”

(Ugh!)

“This is getting exciting. Valentine’s Eve is surely amazing. …It would be even better if someone you guys know showed up in the mall as well.”

(She’s saying something very likely to happen again!)

How can this person just start setting up flags everywhere? Can we be sure that she’s an ascended being now?

Anyway, at this point, we can only pray that it’s over soon.

I got close to Aguri-san’s face and sheepishly bit the other side.

“………….”

Even though there’s still some distance between face-to-face, I’m getting really uncomfortable from facing this composition and the shiver sent from that piece of fries. Also, not to mention that I’m freaking out from Uehara-kun’s unusual aura.

We have to end this as soon as possible. After I got a hold with my lips, I urged Aguri-san to release it. She didn’t plan for us to eat half of it like a Pocky game. It would be over as long as I caught the piece of fries. So-

“Ah, right, Amako, Agu, now that we have the chance, why don’t we play the Pocky-“

“UGH!”

-So, I pulled the piece of fries over with my lips before Main-san said anything else. After that, I looked up and sent it into my mouth before chewing it.

(Phew…)

A “successful smile” appeared on Aguri-san and my face. Although this is a lot of experience, Uehara-kun didn’t need to be tortured inside any longer. We turned to Uehara-kun and smiled to try and calm him down-

“This is amazing, Amako. You two are really a couple. -You can even eat a piece of fries filled with Agu’s saliva without hesitation. Hiya, that’s incredible.”

“…UWAH!”

-After taking another stab from Main-san, the three of us spat blood and fell down (on the inside).

*

“Please just forgive me…”

“Hiya, that was super fun.”

A minute after we bid farewell to Uehara-kun and Aguri-san, I took the escalator with Main-san with an exhausted face.

Main-san, who’s standing two steps higher, laughed and turned around.

“I didn’t expect you to go this far, Amako.”

“Didn’t you tell us to do it?”

Main-san continued right away after seeing me glaring at her angrily.

“That’s right. But, I still feel like you guys are already amazing for a fake couple.”

“Yeah. From that perspective, Aguri-san, Uehara-kun, and I are really-“

I froze at this point.

Main-san continued looking at me from above with a mischievous smile.

“…Did you really think that I can’t tell you guys are making up that poor lie?”

“…Uh, …w-when did you realize it?”

“When? Ah, let me think…”

Main-san walked to the other side of the escalator as she mumbled. …After that, she gave a shocking answer like it’s nothing.

“I think it’s when you showed up- as Agu’s boyfriend in my house.”

“I-Isn’t that at the very beginning!?”

My back is shivering from shock. …This is the first time I experienced how a criminal feels when he’s targeted by a famous detective.

I asked the famous detective sheepishly.

“C-Can I ask the reason? Which part did Aguri-san and I miss…”

“Everything.”

“You aren’t mincing your words at all!”

What’s with this instant conclusion? Main-san answered me with a bitter smile.

“It’s more like I’m surprised that you guys think that I still don’t know anything. Don’t underestimate me, Main Fushiguro, alright? Naturally, I would want to mess with all of you a bit, right?”

A bit?

“…Well, so, you made us do all of that when you know everything already?”

“Yeah. Also, that ‘Uehara’ is Agu’s real boyfriend, am I correct?”

“Ugh…”

A famous detective is way too scary. …It’s really not funny when someone you know is good at inference.

“That’s why I’m sincerely admiring. …I can’t believe you guys actually pulled that off.”

“D-Didn’t you ask us to do it!?”

“Hiya, you’re really interesting, Amako.”

Main-san said that as she chuckled. W-Who the hell is she!? I won’t be surprised if she’s becoming an SSR+ character in a gacha mobile game the next day.

“♪”

Main-san’s humming a song cheerfully as she walked in front of me. I think she got a bit too happy if it’s just because she pranked Aguri-san and me.

(I still don’t understand this person…)

Even though she only plays by her own rules, I don’t know what those “rules” are when I think about them. All I know is that-

“However, based on what I’ve seen, Agu and that Uehara are sailing smoothly on the surface. But, actually, I get that ‘just need one more push’ feeling. Hmm, …although they both love each other, perhaps they are trying to keep everything peaceful by temporarily maintaining the distance?”

“…………”

-All I know is that she’s a shockingly intelligent detective. Also…

“I bet that Uehara guy’s source of trouble is from you, Amako. You and Agu look a bit too close, even from an outsider’s standard like me. Also, Amako, you’re giving me a feeling that you have your loved one too-“

“No, please, seriously, forgive me, my lord.”

After my sincere request, Main-san smiled and said.

“Well, tell me everything then.”

She pointed her chin at the café on the 4th floor.

I sighed deeply. …At this point, I think instead of raising her interest even further, I should just tell her the truth usually. So…

“You’re paying for the coffee.”

“Sure, …even though I might not.”

“Give up and pay for it!”

…I told her everything happened this year in this 10-minute cup of coffee.

“Hahaha, hiya, your experience’s straight out of a trash light novel.”

Main-san said that at the moment I’m finished.

I stood up angrily and helped to take Main-san’s coffee cup away as well. After that, she waited for me at the entrance with a mischievous grin. We entered the mall again.

“Forget the trash light novel part, Amako. Your experience is more interesting than I thought. Hmm, I’ll pay for your coffee since it entertains me.”

“…Thanks.”

I answered casually. Main-san patted my head violently and complained, “An underling should be more adorable.” She smiled and continued.

“However, in reality, the biggest problem is that there’s no sexual description in your one-year high school love story at all. I’m kind of surprised.”

“No, it’s a bigger problem if a high school student is drinking coffee as he’s describing his sex life vividly, right.”

“Hmm? Well, did you do it?”

“…No, …actually, …I haven’t…”

“You useless virgin.”

“That hurts a lot!”

I glared at Main-san speechlessly.

“Well, I bet Main-san has a very mature and adult-like love experience, right?”

“…Hmph. Sheesh, don’t ask such a stupid question, Amako. Isn’t it obvious? Right?”

“Ugh…”

Main-san helplessly shrugged as she looked at me with bright eyes.

I freaked out since she looks so flirtatious that it makes me associate her with a snake. …At the same time, Main-san licked her lips and told me.

“Did you really think there’s a man that matches me in this world?”

“This is the coolest and most unpopular speech I’ve ever heard!”

It looks like a glorious battle between a demon king and the hero. However, in the end, it’s just an ugly debate between a hikineet and an old virgin.

After seeing me dropping my shoulders depressingly, Main-san opened her arms greatly as if she’s a real demon king without any embarrassment.

“Hey, Amako, a 3* character that finally can be used in battle after much grinding and the strongest 5* pure white character that’s a guaranteed victory, which one is worth more?”

“This is also the first time that I’ve seen a person that tries to normalize her unpopularity!”

“Hmph, look at how dumb you are. I’m not unpopular. Instead, I won't let myself become popular.”

“I have lived for 17 years, yet this is the first time I’ve heard something like this!”

“If a guy shows even just a slight interest in me, I’ll first try my best to destroy his soul.”

“Are you the evil version of tsundere?”

“I can’t believe you’re asking whether I’ve dated someone- hmph, you’re utterly stupid.”

“Stop it, alright!? I feel like I’m the one getting upset now!”

Even though I really want to know Main-san’s weak spot, this isn’t what I’m looking for. It’s more like I’m getting emptier the more I attack this weakness.

“What? I don’t really get it, …whatever.”

Then, Main-san really started walking forward like nothing happened as she changed the topic calmly.

“Anyway, I count as an exception. But, it’s a fact that your relationship isn’t going well at all, right?”

“…Well, …I can’t deny that.”

“So, what do you think the main reason is?”

“Eh? Are you asking that? …Well, of course, it’s because of all kinds of misunderstandings…”

“I see. -I’m so disappointed in you.”

“-Uh?”

Main-san suddenly turned around. -She reminded me of the one we saw in the beginning. That stressful, overwhelming, disgusted look made me stop.

(What’s wrong with her…)

I started gulping into my dry throat before facing her sudden change in attitude with a question.

“What does…that mean…?”

“…………”

“Ah.”

However, Main-san didn’t answer my question. She just took a step higher onto the escalator angrily as if she’s trying to lose me.

I fell a bit speechless to her violent attitude. …But, I snapped out of it and chased after her.

(W-What’s with that attitude? …Well, even though she's usually pretty selfish and violent.)

Until now, I always answered her violence with, “Alright, alright, alright.” However, this time, …ripples keep appearing in my heart. …That must be because I’m not satisfied with my answer either.

“…Eh?”

I don’t know whether it’s because I’m thinking about that on the escalator. But, when I arrived at the 5th floor with all the daily necessities, kids’ clothing, and toys, I already lost Main-san entirely.

“Ah, …I think she said she wants to buy clothes for Mii-chan…”

I remembered what Main-san said, so I looked around as I walked to the kids’ clothing area.

In the midst of this, I took a detour through the toy sales area. Then, I looked at the goods on the shelf aimlessly. After that-

“…Ah.”

-After that, I saw the special game controller that’s supposed to be sold out right now and stopped.

(S-Seriously! Its price on Amazon is skyrocketing…!)

That’s a special game controller. It really makes a difference in experience when you’re playing that popular party game on console.

Of course, the game itself also includes a controller bundle because of that. However, there’s only one in the package. …Even though this is a mostly offline party game, there’s only one special controller in the box. …This is already weird enough. But, the even more unfortunate fact is that this game’s already reached popularity beyond the developers’ imagination.

In the end, the demand for special controllers that wasn’t abundant to begin with skyrocketed. Also, the wheeler-dealers tried to benefit from this. Therefore, this controller can already be called a sought-after item for everyone who bought the game.

…Of course, I’m one of them too.

(I can finally fight fair-and-square with Kousei this way!)

I’m really excited about this miraculous encounter. So, I quickly forgot about Main-san and walked toward the sales area. After that, I grabbed the controller box that was casually placed on the shelf.

(This is the advantage of a toy sales area in a small department store!)

This is one of the few advantages of a small-time gamer. Goods that are always sold out in big cities will appear here. …However, even so, it looks like this is the last one too.

I grinned as I opened my bag and checked the cash in my wallet. …Very well, this controller costs 2,980 yen. I have enough money. Yes.

I took 3,000 yen out of my wallet and stepped cheerfully to the cashier. At that moment-

“Ah…”

“?”

-I saw a child looking at my controller sadly. His hand has the 3,000 yen that he hastily asked from his parents.

“Oh, Amako, you’re slow.”

“Sigh, …I’m sorry.”

I regrouped with Main-san in the kids’ clothing area. Then, I stood next to her, who’s picking out cute girl clothes, a bit awkwardly.

Main-san didn’t look at me as she searched in the hangers before asking me.

“So, did you buy the controller you want, Amako?”

“Are you really a god or something?”

I never said one word about the controller to this person.

Main-san smiled bitterly and answered after seeing me getting this shocked.

“Although I appreciated your overly-high evaluation, this is just a common conclusion. I saw that controller on the way too. Even though I didn’t buy it because I’m not interested at all, …I can see peasants like you love that.”

“I feel like you can already become a god with inference skills like that.”

I fell speechless. Then, the god in front of me immediately continued.

“Off-topic. In other words, you couldn’t buy it. …No, you didn’t buy it, right?”

“…Yeah.”

I feel like she’ll force the truth out of me no matter how long I keep silent. So, I explained to her that I gave the controller to the child before sighing.

“I feel like my compatibility with this department store isn’t too good. Something like this also happened with <Kurikure> as well…”

“Huh, compatibility, right.”

“…………”

She’s doing it again. …I hate it. Although I always hate Main-san, I can sometimes feel genuine contempt from her words, just like right now.

I fell silent. Main-san seems to be finished with getting Mii-chan’s clothes. She still said naturally impolite stuff like, “It’s filled with boring things here.” Then, she walked away. …Luckily, there are no staff members around.

Main-san suddenly stopped after getting out of the kids’ clothing area. I thought about what’s wrong as I looked in her direction. After that, I saw the bare arcade area in the department store…

…………

Main-san turned to me with a demon king’s face as I started shivering due to the bad feeling.

“Hey, Amako. In other words, -you have an extra 3,000 yen right now, am I correct?”

“…Mom, I think I got blackmailed for the first time in my life.”

“Hey, hey, don’t put it in such a bad way, Amako. …Let’s have a match?”

“…………”

In conclusion, I got blackmailed for the first time in my life.

“Ahaha, I’m sorry, Amako. I feel like I just blackmailed you!”

“…………”

I looked at my crippled wallet depressedly. What a nightmare. …No, I already lost my ownership. It should be a miracle that I wasn’t blackmailed until now. Even so…

“Well, let’s go somewhere else, Amako!”

“…Alright…”

…It’s pointless to complain about it now. Although I said it’s blackmail, actually, she didn’t take my money away directly. Main-san won’t do unlawful things like that. Well, if I had to say what she even did…

(I didn’t expect her to really spend 3,000 yen playing those coin games with me in an arcade for children…)

…She just played 3,000 yen worth of games with me. In some cases, such action can be called a date. However, of course, I lost everything. So, it’s not really good. …Ah, come to think of it, I feel like the same thing happened when I’m playing with Tendou-san,  but that’s definitely a date. It’s a “beautiful memory” that is entirely in contrast to this. …Indeed, it’s crucial to choose the person you’re with…

“…Ha.”

Main-san and I stepped on the escalator going down. We went through the game sales area again. I can’t help but look at where that last controller once was. Then…

“…………”

I saw a depressed female seaweed.

“…………”

Honestly, …I’m really familiar with that person. I don't know whether I should say she’s my acquaintance, friend, a girl I care about, partner, or rival…

Well, it’s just Chiaki Hoshinomori wearing her casual clothes during the weekend. I can’t miss her. However…

“…………”

Yet, I didn’t say anything. Instead, I hid behind Main-san and walked over.

Well, the reason is…

(I don’t want Chiaki to meet Main-san…!)

Right now, I finally understood how a protagonist feels when he’s sacrificing himself to challenge a giant, evil power. I’m not trying to act cool. Something like this is really unacceptable. Instead of letting my dear friend getting involved with an evil spirit, I should just take it alone-

“…………”

-During this time, Main-san suddenly stopped. Then, she turned around and thought for a second. Suddenly, she said this to me loudly.

“Hiya, that game was pretty interesting! Keita Amano!”

“HEY-“

Why is she using my full name instead of my alias right now!? If she yelled like that, undoubtedly-

“Eh, Keita?”

“Uh…”

-Chiaki will definitely notice and turn around, isn’t it!?

“Chiaki, …g-good afternoon.”

I smiled at Chiaki awkwardly as I glared at Main-san.

She mischievously smiled as she got her lips close to my ears.

(Did you really think I can’t tell what’s going on from your breathing and pace?)

(Can you please stop doing stuff that easily exceeds human limits this casually!?)

However, come to think of it, a quickly-hatched plan never works on this person. Even so, …I didn’t expect her to go this far.

Although I’m in a complicated web of emotions right now, Chiaki still feels innocently cheerful for the fact that she met me. She dashed to me without hiding her joy in the slightest.

“Wow, what a coincidence, Keita! Uh, are you looking for that controller as well?”

(Ugh…)

I’m a bit embarrassed at her evident kindness. …At the same time, I’m petrified to spill the beans to the demon king next to me. Anyway, I can’t remain calm.

My entire body is sweating from nervousness and shock as I answered Chiaki.

“Yeah, uh, that’s close, yep.”

“I see! …Hmm? …Well, by the way, Keita, who’s this…?”

At this point, Chiaki noticed that there’s a weird stranger next to me. She pulled my sleeves a bit worriedly. Facing her, Main-san kicked my heel lightly from behind too.

Regrettably, I can only give up and introduce this evil being to Chiaki under their urges.

“Chiaki, …this is the…Main Fushiguro I talked to you a bit about before…”

“Huh! S-She’s the evil being you said…!”

“HEY!”

What the hell did this seaweed just say!? Well, even though Aguri-san and I were describing Main-san as a vicious villain usually!

After I fell silent, Chiaki seems to have noticed her mistake as well. She covered her mouth. …As for Main-san, she smiled and answered Chiaki.

“Thanks for taking care of Keita. I’m the owner of Keita Amano, Main Fushiguro.”

Owner. She suddenly spewed that ultra-impactful word out politely.

Then, she pretended to be a mature woman and chuckled. Although Chiaki looked a bit shocked, she still greeted her humbly.

“Ah, well, I’m Chiaki Hoshinomori! Uh, …I’m friends with Kei- Amano-kun…”

“Ah, it’s Hoshinomori! I’ve been looking forward to meeting you! Haha, you’re just as beautiful as Keita said!”

“Eh?”

“Oi.”

What the hell did she just say? Didn’t I just say Chiaki looks “objectively quite beautiful” when I’m talking about her? I can’t believe her…!

“…Hehe, Keita does have some lovable parts too…!”

“Ugh…!”

Look, this rival is completely over her head and started treating me like a tsundere, right!? Doesn’t this mean that I’m a guy who says rival but actually praises her as a beautiful girl to others!? The most problematic part is that this isn’t too far from the truth!

Main-san seems to be satisfied after seeing me blushing really hard. She ended the topic quickly by greeting Chiaki.

“Well, we’ll be leaving.”

“Eh, r-really? Well, …can I ask where you two are going…?”

Chiaki’s clearly clinging to me. Main-san poked her head out next to me when I failed to answer.

“Ah, Keita’s coming to my house later. …Then, as his owner, I’ll let him release the things he has built up during the day since I kept my distance with him.”

“Eh?”

“Why can’t you just release me from my luggage-carrying duties like a normal person!?”

My face went pale as I immediately yelled to solve Chiaki’s misunderstanding.

(Nope, this person’s influencing Chiaki too much!)

It’s okay for strong girls like Tendou-san or Konoha-san. However, this person’s words and actions are too exciting for Chiaki. …It’s like how I felt before fighting with her.

“However, we really need to go somewhere else. So, I’ll see you later, Chiaki.”

I bid farewell to Chiaki a bit forcefully to separate them as soon as possible.

“Uh, ah, o-okay. …I understand, ..but…”

Chiaki accepted it for a moment. However, she grabbed my sleeves tightly at the next second.

“Uh, Keita, I…”

Chiaki’s trying her best to muster up her courage to stop me gently. I made up my mind in pain and said, “I’m sorry!”

“I really have to stay with Main-san today! See you at school, Chiaki!”

“B-B-But, Keita, she didn’t do anything weird to you, right…!”

“S-She won’t do it, relax!”

…No, the premise is that blackmailing me and making my friend’s girlfriend scream don’t count as weird things.

I smiled to comfort Chiaki as I prepared to leave. …At that moment-

“Alright, let’s go, Keita.”

“Wait-“

Even though she has never done this before, Main-san suddenly hugged my arms tightly. Her hourglass figure is tangling my entire arm up erotically.

“…………”

Ugh, the girl behind is staring daggers into my back! Although it hurts, …I can’t turn back because of the pain!

Main-san hastily dragged me up to the escalator. After that, she finally released me and returned to her usual mischievous smile.

“I see, Chiaki Hoshinomori. …Hmm, interesting.”

“It’s not interesting!”

“No, it’s interesting. That’s a beautiful gamer with the same soul as Amako, and she has feelings for you as well, right? She’s overly interesting to me.”

She turned around at the escalator and showed a fearless smile.

“I have to own her as-“

“I’m not going to let that happen.”

At that moment, I changed my attitude and showed real anger. When Main-san saw that-

“…Haha.”

“?”

-I thought she would be pissed at me, or her competitiveness will be aroused. …However, unexpectedly, she looks sincerely happy. …At the same time, I can feel loneliness from her as she smiles at me.

“Indeed, …I envy you.”

“Huh? W-What?”

I’m shocked by this unexpected response as I questioned. The escalator’s heading to the 4th floor. So, naturally, we’re taking the one that heads towards the 3rd floor…

“Hey? Main-san?”

Main-san stopped at the 4th floor as she looked above. …After that, she seems to have thought of something and suggested it to me.

“Hey, Amako, why don’t we take a break at the benches next to the bookstore?”

“Ha? No, we were literally drinking coffee and playing games just then. That’s enough rest, right?”

“It’s only going to take 5 minutes. I’ll teach you some life experience, you weak lover.”

“Big talk from a person that’s even weaker at love than me. Alright, stop saying stupid things and-“

“-You can reference Mii and my hopeless mother’s story.”

“…Eh?”

Main-san’s eyes looked unprecedentedly helpless as she said that. In other words…

“Well, even though it’s not an interesting story.”

…At that second, she looks literally just like a normal girl.

*

“Even so, you don’t need to prepare yourself for a tragic story, right? So, please don’t put weird expectations on me. Although I’m sorry for this, no zombies are going to appear.”

“No, I didn’t even expect things like that at all.”

Main-san said that with her usual tone once we took a seat. In reality, her tone doesn’t sound tragic at all. It really sounds like we’re just having a casual conversation. …However, that’s why I feel that this isn’t going to be a simple chitchat.

The bookstore and the corridor walls are right behind the benches. I think the corner in front of me has some game strategy magazines as well. …So, as a gamer, I can't help but look behind Main-san…

“Hey, are you more interested in game magazines than my story? You’re surely underestimating me, Amako.”

“Sorry.”

I immediately turned to her like a puppet after hearing that. …Recently, I think I can tell whether Main-san’s being serious or joking. According to my feelings, …that was a pretty severe warning. I should just listen to her.

Main-san confirmed my attitude and started explaining after a pause.

“My mother left home shortly after Mii’s birth. I was still a student back then.”

“What student?”

“A female student.”

“No, I mean, are you a university or high school-“

“The direct cause of the divorce is my mother cheated.”

She ignored that!? Also, her face showed genuine sadness to seal away my complaint! H-How cunning can she be!?

It really hurts when you can’t say something you want. But, Main-san continued talking about her own story.

“Forget Mii for a moment. You can already tell from me, right?”

“I can tell that your mother didn’t teach you well?”

“No, my mother is pretty beautiful.”

“…………”

Does this person always have to show her superiority or she would feel uncomfortable? Please, you’re just making me not want to hear you out seriously.

“Anyway, my mother’s a beauty, …and a pretty shy person.”

“This is a lie.”

“Hey, don’t stare at me this intensely, you brat.”

Main-san bumped me with her elbow. She sighed and continued.

“If you want to describe my mother in 3 words, it’s attractive, kind, and fragile.”

“I decided to not trust genetics anymore.”

“Very well, let’s have some fun with onee-san at home, Amako.”

“I’m sorry.”

I immediately bowed down and apologized. There’s already no self-esteem to talk about.

Main-san shrugged helplessly. …Then, she suddenly smiled for a second.

“She’s a person that likes to take care of others sincerely. She always hums songs while sweeping the floor, and she’ll comfort Mii when she’s crying at midnight. Also, she’ll smile at my weird words- my sarcasm. She also irons my father’s shirts diligently while sweating…”

“…………”

“So, she’s a pretty good mother in the end, right. …Mii still really loved her.”

“…………”

The fact that she added Mii at the last part stopped me from joking with her, even though we’re hostile.

Main-san continued.

“Then, in comparison, my father is an easy-to-understand working class. Of course, he’s not at home usually. Even when he is, he doesn’t show any interest in his daughters. He’s the type that focuses more on logic than emotions.”

“Ah, I believe in the father’s genetics side more.”

“You’re annoying, …whatever. Anyway, my father’s a robotic human that’s entirely different from my mother. It’s right on both the good and bad sides. He cares about logic more than emotions. However, that’s why he’ll never do dangerous things like cheating or crimes. So, -for example, instead of playing with the kids on holiday, he’ll choose to give more money to the kids and get them out. He’s that kind of person who lives by his own principles. …So, he’s not bad as a parent, right?”

“…………”

I answered the question with silence. …Honestly, I even feel like this father is a bit pathetic. However, Main-san doesn’t sound like she hates him at all. So, perhaps this is one kind of family too. …My father isn’t the most incredible person on Earth as well.

“Well, here comes the question.” Main-san smiled calmly and changed the topic.

“My mother’s gentle, warm, lovable, and shy. However, that’s why she was half-forced to cheat behind my father. That was the only mistake she made. Yet, she just had to confess to my father honestly. As for the father, he’s a coldhearted and laissez-faire person. …If parents like this are trying to make the daughters live with one side during the divorce, what do you think the result would be?”

“Well…”

“Hint 1: The daughters both voted for the same person. …Sigh, Mii was still pretty young back then and didn’t understand. However, she clearly chose the side with the kinder appearance.”

“…………”

“Hint 2: With my talents, I can basically earn as much money as I want.”

“…………”

“Alright, time’s up. Well, I’ll announce the correct answer.”

Main-san pressed on with a slightly joking attitude as if she’s not letting me answer in the first place. After that, …she told me the correct answer.

“Mii and my vote were invalidated. The ‘logical’ result is for our father to take care of us.”

“…………”

At this point, the cheerful children in the mall sound especially noisy.

I fell silent. Main-san continued with a bitter smile.

“Moreover, I’ll tell you what my cowardly and kind mother said that decided everything while making me appreciate her a lot.”

After a moment of pause, …Main-san laughed emotionlessly.

“It’s- this is for everyone’s sake.”

“…………”

I already can’t face Main-san directly anymore. …It’s not because she looks really sad.

…Instead, at the same time that I understood her ‘reason’ behind this, I also noticed that an ordinary passerby like me can’t retort.

Main-san stared at the ceiling dazedly and continued.

“Hey, Amako, is ‘for someone’s sake’ and ‘lending something out’ really that admirable and beautiful? Is ‘for my own sake’ and ‘robbing something away’ really that stupid and selfish?”

“Well…”

I feel speechless for the moment. Main-san looks like a girl that’s about to disappear as she said that to me.

“-At least, I really hope that the person I love will rob my rights away, even if it means violence.”

“…………”

Main-san sighed after not getting an answer from me as she continued.

“However, I learned a lesson from this.”

“…What?”

“A logical and legitimate principle is extremely powerful. …At least, it’s way stronger than vented emotional instincts based on illegitimate reasons.”

…I think I can see where this person’s near-violence “correctness” comes from.

Main-san closed her palms lightly as I’m swept up in the complicated wave of emotions. She concluded.

“…It’s easy for a powerless person to destroy his/her own happiness when he/she does something for someone’s sake. So, I’m going to use my own powers for the things that I truly value only- and gather the happiness together bit by bit.”

“…You’re such a selfish person.”

“Yeah, I think so too.”

Main-san smiled at me. …I can’t help but reply to her with a smile as well.

So, Main-san stood up from the bench after explaining everything.

“So, you, being a cowardly and kind gaming otaku, if there’s something really important to you that you don’t want to lend away…”

Main-san looked at me as I hastily grabbed her paper bag’s luggage. She told me that shallow…yet sincere suggestion with a solemn face.

“Go rob it. Don’t back down.”

“…………”

“Alright, it’s time to go, Amako. …It should already be here.”

“Hmm? Here?”

I have no idea what Main-san is talking about. However, she walked away without explaining anything. So, I can only stand up quickly and chase behind her.

At that time-

(Eh? Why did I feel like I just saw a seaweed-like head in the bookstore…?)

But, I think I saw that over the bookshelves. I didn’t know the face, so I’m not sure. However, I guess it’s not weird to see her if we’re in the same mall. However…

“Hey, Amako, you’re too slow! I’ll punch a hole in your skull if you don’t speed up!”

“That punishment is too much, right!?”

I hastily chased after Main-san after hearing her terrifying urges. Whatever, I guess I don’t really need to force a greeting with Chiaki. I don’t want her to get involved with Main-san.

I caught up to her at the escalator and asked.

“So, what did you mean when you said it’s here?”

“Hmm? Oh, I just asked one of my underlings to buy something.”

“…How many ‘underlings’ do you have aside from me…?”

“What? Amako, are you jealous?”

“No, it’s boring for an underling to be jealous of another.”

“Relax. You’re my favorite one.”

“No, no, we didn’t know each other for long. Please don’t joke with me.”

“Joke? No, I’m really-“

Main-san suddenly noticed something in the middle of her sentence. She grabbed her phone out of the pocket.

“Oh, that thing’s already in the lockers near the mall’s entrance. That person went back because he still has something to do.”

“Uh, I think you shouldn’t have told me that, right? This feels terrible!”

“Relax, that guy’s a cop.”

“Why!? Now it’s even worse!”

I’m shivering as I try to slow down. However, of course, Main-san won’t allow me to do that. She grabbed my arms and dragged me forward.

So, …we finally arrived at the coin locker area on the mall’s 1st floor.

“Let me see, …it’s no.89…”

(Even the number is terrible!) [Note: I think the joke is about the number 893. The pronunciation of it is the same as “mafia” in Japanese.]

She opened the locker door designated by the underling cop and finally took that thing out.

I tried my best to not look at it. However, I can’t believe she-

“Catch it, Amako. It’s for you.”

“Hey-“

She shoved this “plastic bag”- a bag from a game store to me very casually.

“Hmm? Eh? Shouldn’t this be a heavy brown paper bag…?” [Note: This is probably referencing the news about discovering corpses, drugs, weapons, or even erotic books in the lockers. They show up from time to time in Japan.]

“What are you talking about?”

Main-san stared at me dumbfoundedly. Following that, she urged me to open the bag to see what’s inside.

As for me, …I’m still suspicious as I try to confirm what’s inside tremblingly. Then-

“Eh-“

-I really didn’t expect this to show up. I’m more shocked than seeing drugs or a pistol.

It’s because this is exactly-

“It’s good now, right, Amako. This is the special controller you ‘gave’ to that kid.”

“Oh, …uh, even though i-it’s, well…”

-That’s the controller I didn’t buy.

Main-san showed me a refreshing smile as I just stood there.

“That’s good. Well, I didn’t call that home electronics underling keeping the goods and cop underling to bring it here for nothing.”

“Uh? W-W-W-Well, t-thank you…? Oh, w-well, I-I’ll pay you.”

“Hmm? Didn’t you already give me the money in the arcade?”

“Eh…?”

I was shocked. Eh, …isn’t that…supposed to be blackmailing…?

I stood right there dazedly. Then, Main-san casually mumbled, “Let’s go somewhere else, then.” She walked away.

“…N-No, no, no, no!”

I quickly chased Main-san, who had already passed the automatic doors and was heading towards the shopping street. I asked her loudly while holding the controller in my chest.

“Why!? Why are you…doing…something like this for a person…like me…?”

“Hmm? Uh, what do you mean by why? Didn’t I already say this before? I really love you.”

“S-So, that’s why I asked why! We didn’t know each other for a long time. Also, I even went full berserk mode and retorted you very impolitely-“

“Sigh, it’s exactly because of that.”

“-Eh?”

I felt dazed since I don’t know what she’s talking about. As for Main-san, she explained slowly with a cheerful smile.

“Even though you don’t have the power or right to do so, you remained unreasonable and followed your own beliefs and desires. You never feared an overwhelmingly stronger opponent and kept biting her down. You betted your entire life to rob something important to you. This is…”

At this point, Main-san paused for a moment and looked at me sincerely lovingly before smiling.

“…This is everything that I hoped my mother could’ve done back then.”

“…!”

Her utterly sad smile sent a tinge of pain to my heart. How should I put this? This is almost the first time that I realized what a beauty she is after meeting her.

However, it looks like Main-san didn’t expect to show this expression of her as well. She quickly cleared her throat and changed the words.

“N-No, Mii hoped for it. Yes.”

“R-Really. Mii hoped for it.”

“…Yes.”

Main-san looked away from me and started walking forward.

I carried the luggage again as I walked next to her.

(…Ah, come to think of it, I felt the same way briefly when I was dueling with her.)

Right now, I can slightly understand the emotions contained in her words back then.

“Agu’s surely blessed. She’s loved by- an idiot like you.”

That’s not sarcasm. Instead, she just sincerely and purely expressed her enviousness.

“…………”

We’re walking silently on the bustling main street during Valentine’s Day sales.

A while ago, Main-san should’ve said some violent stuff on her own. However, she’s not doing that now. …In the end, both of us are a bit embarrassed.

Then, Main-san’s actually the one that can’t tolerate this atmosphere first.

She cleared her throat without looking at me.

Once again, …she told me today’s conclusion.

“…Don’t give something you truly want to others. You have to rob it even if it means violence. Get it, Amako?”

“…Yes.”

This is the first time that I…sincerely accepted a suggestion from a person I hate the most- no, a person that I used to hate the most.

…………

However…

“Oh, but it’s hard to say. Even if I encountered what happened today a couple more times, I feel like I will still give the controller to the child.”

“Ha, you’re not backing down on this one. What a terrible guy, Amako.”

“…Thanks.”

“You’re really not cute at all.”

Main-san rubbed my hair violently after saying that.

While I twisted my body and tried to resist ferociously…

(You have to rob it, even if it means violence, right…)

I thought about what I lack the most in the past year’s relationships.

As for me, I finally…realized what’s missing with the help of this demon king.


Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment