Sunday, June 14, 2020

Gamers Volume 5 Chapter 4 Part 1

Chapter 4 – Gamers and Abhorrent Strike, Part 1 of 2

Translator: your_pingas
Tasuku Uehara

“Right, I feel like Amano would use the term “I love both sides” on women as well.”

High-level residential area, after school.

I stared at the white walls of the houses painted by the red shades of the sunset as I mumbled unintentionally.

The girl that was initially walking next to me…Tendou immediately stepped in front of me and asked me excitedly while leaning forward.

“U-Uehara-kun, even a guy that’s going down the harem route like you agreed with that, right!”

“Who’s going down the harem route! Tell me!”

Although I protested immediately, the blonde hair girl didn’t listen at all.

She turned around and put her fist under her chin and started thinking seriously.

“Exactly. Amano-kun is too gentle, I feel like he’s motivated to do that. When even the pure, degenerate, and cheating guy Uehara-kun can guarantee that, I think it must be true.”

“Y-You…”

I used a more severe tone since I’m really pissed. However, Karen Tendou still doesn’t seem to realize my mood. Moreover, she’s even mumbling to herself distressingly as she wrapped her hands around her head.

“It’s because he loves both sides, that’s why he wanted to respect them…This is really Amano-kun’s style, I’m in love with it! That determination to hold true of his own ways made me imagine a lot of things, my heart is pulling on me today! But since he’s so attractive, it’s kind of troublesome to say this-“

“…………”

“Hey, Uehara-kun, are you trying to secretly escape from me?”

“…Sigh.”

The stupid woman who’s helplessly in love with her boyfriend grabbed the corner of my suit jacket with sharp eyes…Basically, she’ll pretend that I don’t exist while forcing me to hear her nagging or carry her bags.”

“Ah, I knew it. This treatment is called “slavery” in our society.”

I can’t help but look at the sky. The red sun is burning hot.

“Is it because I stayed in the classroom after school…”

Come to think of it, …once I realized the time that I finished chatting with my friends is the same as the end of the Game Club assembly, I already sensed that something terrible is coming.

So, I nervously walked to the entrance of the school and took a look. Just like what I expected…I met Tendou, who’s explicitly sighing because she’s depressed for some reason.

“If I decided to support Hoshinomori, I really…don’t want to have anything to do with Tendou.”

Although I thought about this in my mind, as a partner in the Hobby Club, …and as a friend, I can’t leave an obviously depressed person behind.

I asked like I’m not trying to bear any responsibility. “Hey, T-Tendou, you’re going home as well?” Then it’s over.

It’s a rare chance to “walk” home with her. So, she started to talk about inviting Amano to the club today. She then expressed directly how attractive her boyfriend is and basically showing off how loving they are. Of course, I wanted to escape when there’s a chance…However, while Aguri is easy to deal with, this girl is still the legendary Karen Tendou. I can’t leave in front of her, even when there’s a good chance.

“I feel like she’s the final boss.”

Although I don’t want to stay here for a second longer, it’s been more than 10 minutes since I walked home with Tendou.

Things were better in the high-level residential area where no one’s around, I was having a hard time when we’re traversing over the urban area.

“…Damn, I sure do hope no weird rumours will start because of this…”

It’s probably alright if we brought more Game Hobby Club members here to chat. However, it’s a pretty iconic scenery when a guy and a girl are walking home together. At least I would think that they’re couples when a high school boy and girl are walking alone.

“Also, we’re talking about her…”

This is the first time I’ve experienced everyone turning their heads to look at us on the streets. This tale is so unusual that I’m suspecting that Tamori-san will show up sooner or later. Also, after they glanced at Tendou, they will eventually stare at the guy next to her… [Note: This is a reference to the horror science fiction TV show Tales of the Unusuals with Tamori as the host.]

“Even though I’ll tell Amano a thing or two usually, …but this is really miserable.”

The stress is unbelievably high. I didn’t think that being judged by people would be so intolerable. From this perspective, compared to Tendou, who’s just getting yearned on, perhaps it’s more painful for people that are next to her.

Just as I’m thinking all over the place, we passed through a group of chatting housewives. When we’re moving, I was deflated when I slightly heard “the boy looks a bit too flighty” from them.

…Sigh, e-even though I didn’t mind it, but I still straightened my back. After Tendou saw me, she stared at me, coldly from the bottom of her heart before speaking.

“Uehara-kun, don’t you think you’re too frivolous today? How disgusting.”

“Ugh!”

Once I snapped out, Tendou’s already dumbfoundedly at my reaction. I looked around before retorting. “P-Perhaps you’re right…” Tendou sighed even more explicitly.

“Uehara-kun, I thought you have already seen everything.”s

“What do you mean by “seen” everything? I can’t withstand this much attention even when I have a girlfriend and made a lot of friends.”

“Really? But, …recently, Amano-kun will smile happily at me when we’re together.”

“R-Really? …Well, …Amano…”

After I heard Tendou, my heart suddenly throbbed for some reason.

“Amano…He’ll sweat a lot whenever people strike up a conversation with him. He’s stuttering every time he opened his mouth. The Amano that was playing mobile games happily in the school, …now he’s already brave enough to smile at the legendary Karen Tendou…”

Crap, perhaps this is how it feels when your son is finally independent. Right now, I really wanted to put my hand on Amano’s shoulder and tell him, “You’ve grown up.” Like I’m a father, even though I’m not actually his dad.

However, the actual problem is with Amano’s growth. I think the feelings he carried for Tendou is different than mine. Even so, I think the only reason why Amano is quickly improving his communication skills is because of…

“It’s all because of…Aguri-san’s blessing, right?”

“!”

I immediately freaked out and reacted when Tendou suddenly started talking to me.

Tendou’s walking by my side, and she responded to me with a covered smile…To her, it seems that this is what she really wanted to talk about today.

“I have to say thanks to Aguri-san. She’s the reason why I can be with Amano-kun happily.”

“Perhaps.”

Although a complex array of emotions appeared in my mind now, I still agreed to that.

I continued after a while.

“However, speaking of change, Aguri may have changed a bit as well.”

“What do you mean?”

The cute girl is holding her bag in front of her skirt as she slightly tilted her head to me…This kind of segregation from the mortal world, it’s like the after school plot of dating sims…

I coughed before continuing.

“How should I put it…Aguri will act especially like a gal just to get me interested previously.”

“Yeah, if we’re talking about loving gals, that setting surely fits with you.”

Tendou casually said what she feels, and it made my face turned stiff.

“Eh, what’s wrong with my reputation among you girls? What did I do?”

“Look…Uehara-kun, you’re immediately trying to sexually harass me. Wanting me to say what did you “do!” You’re really a prick!”

“…………”

I’m absolutely dumbfounded at the unreasonable attitude that I can only stare at this retarded blonde hair girl dazedly. During this time, Tendou suddenly became alerted and covered up her kneecaps and the chest of her uniform.

“N-Now, you’re staring at me erotically! How fallen do you have to be until you’re satisfied, Uehara-kun!”

“Struggle all I want, despise still awaits me.”

I’m so depressed that I’m referencing a slogan of a horror game. [Note: Uehara is referencing the iconic quote of the game SIREN: Struggle all you want, despair still awaits you.]

What is this? Talking will lower my reputation. Not talking will also do the same thing? Did someone poison my affection meter?

After that, Tendou seems to have realized that she may have gone overboard, so she cleared her throat before moving us back to the discussion.

“W-Well then, where were we? Uh, …Uehara-kun, were we talking about you liking flippant girls that are willing to sleep with you right away?”

“It’s incredible that you can twist our conversation content moments ago that much! I’m really admiring you right now!”

“Sorry, I made a mistake. We were talking you having a flippant attitude, right?”

“Still wrong! We were talking about Aguri thought that I like gals!”

“Eh, what are you talking about? Isn’t that something entirely different?”

“That’s why I said you’re utterly wrong! By the way, why are you acting like you aren’t convinced at all!”

“…Phew, this hurts my brain, then why did we talk about the term “flippant girls” then, Uehara-kun…”

“Huh, you’re asking me? Eh, you’re really asking me!”

“…Uehara-kun, sometimes I feel like I’m in a maze whenever I’m talking to you.”

“I feel the same! I strongly agree with this point alone!”

Just as the two of us unexpectedly shared the same thought, we’re back to where we were again.

“Anyway, what I wanted to say is that Aguri won’t try to act like a gal too much recently. How should I say this…I guess she managed to get a hold on her serious side, right?”

“Yep. Then, you think that’s because of Amano-kun’s influence?”

Tendou asked with an unbelievable look. I replied with a bitter smile.

“For better or for worse, Amano can really pull people’s heartstrings, right?”

“Yep.”

Tendou answered right away. Ay, after all, you’re the one who’s the most impressed by Amano…

“When you spend extended time talking about your relationships with a guy like this, naturally, you can’t just respond with your outer appearance…Your conversation with him will turn sincere, no matter what.”

“Yeah, …perhaps you’re right. I got it. That’s why Aguri-san has more chances to show off her real side and caused this situation.”

Tendou seems to have understood something as she put her finger on her chin and nodded. She’s different from Aguri, every action of her seems smart and calculated…However, in other words, she lacked a sense of cuteness.

We silently started pondering on our own as we walked along the quiet residential area.

…Under Aguri’s enormous influence, Amano is starting to grow on his own. Also, inspired by Amano, Aguri is beginning to become more mature.”

Just as we subjectively imagine the relationship between the two, a single sentence appeared on our minds.

“…………”

…Tendou and I made eye contact…Then, as if we shared the same brain- we shouted together.

“What an ideal couple!”

Trusting each other from the bottom of their hearts, sometimes messing and fighting, but still managed to inspire each other to become way more mature, what a relationship.

If this isn’t an ideal couple, I don’t know what is!

When no one’s staring, we quickly threw away our usual elegant and calm attitude and started yelling at each other loudly!

“It all boils down to you not properly holding onto your girlfriend!”

“I’m the one that’s supposed to say that…No, I’m returning those words of yours with x10 power! Karen Tendou, you can’t even take care of your boyfriend, that’s unusual! I can’t believe he rejected your invitation to the club again!”

“Ugh…! E-Even though you’re right…! H-However, you two have dated for over half-a-year! Maintain a distance with each other like that, …don’t you think it’s a bit too useless for a high school student!”

“Ugh…! I-I’m observing my partner's situation so that I can know how we should close our distance…”

“Doesn’t that make you a wimp?”

“You…! Then let me ask you this, what exact “progress” did you make when you and Amano became a couple!”

“Ugh, ugh…! W-We play games together often…”

“Play games together! Ha, then I played with Amano even more!”

“Y-You’re really looking at Amano-kun that way…”

“What do you mean by really! I’m not talking about that! Let me tell you, the things that you’ve been doing with Amano is far from dating!”

“Then what did you precisely do with Aguri-san in these 6 months? Tell me!”

“A-Are you saying the word “do” in a subtle yet erotic tone! Uh, well, w-what did Aguri do with me…For example, we headed to the arcade often after school…”

“………….”

“…Stop it, i-it’s my bad! Right, absolutely right! Honestly, I’m still stagnating at the “friend” level! Damn you!”

After I stomped forcefully, Tendou dropped her shoulders like she’s exhausted.

“…It’s more like, how about we stop this pointless argument. We already ran out of steam, this will do nothing but burn our remaining energy.”

“…Right.”

The two of us looked at each other’s face before letting out a huge sigh. Then, we continued walking home, depressingly.

After a 10-second silence, Tendou spoke up again.

“…The actual problem is that I’m not really seriously suspecting Amano-kun is “cheating” with Aguri-san.”

“Yeah, …I understand.”

It’s right. Those two will never tolerate a “betrayal” like that. We’re really sure about that. However…

Tendou continued.

“But, …once I think whether I have “anything” shared with Amano-kun that can surpass the ones between Aguri-san and him…”

“Yeah, …I can also understand that.”

Tendou and I can’t help but plop our head down…It’s time for a proper explanation.

“-We’re not suspecting whether they’re “cheating” or now. Instead, we doubt ourselves whether we’re inferior to those two, right?”

“…………”

Tendou’s face wrinkled up painfully. Even so, she still answered with a slight nod. Her delicate hands are tightly holding the handle of her bag.

Although I felt the same immense feeling of stress in my heart, I still continued with a tinge of hope.

“Even so, I still think that we’re too pessimistic.”

“What do you mean?”

“There’s should be a lot of examples for stuff that couples would do while friends wouldn’t, right?”

“Ah, for me, it would be a Presentation of Amano-kun’s Attractiveness – Two-Hour Deluxe, something like that, right?”

“Please don’t do that to your friend.”

I still can’t deal with a terminally love-struck Tendou, but I still continued.

“Ay, but that’s precisely what’s going on. In reality, the “relationship inquiry” between that is the extreme of what friends can talk about, right? You can’t talk about those things in front of each other’s boyfriend or girlfriend.”

“But, I wish that Amano-kun will chat with me about all the things in the world…”

“I guess you’re right…I got it. For example, there’s no way for Amano to discuss with you when he’s hesitating over how he should prepare a surprise gift for you, right?”

“Ah, perhaps you’re right. If we’re talking about gifts, I want Amano-kun as my present no matter what.”

“You can be surprising, sometimes.”

“?”

Karen Tendou didn’t even realize that she just said something embarrassing and just tilted her head…Sigh, t-this girl’s love is a bit too heavy to bear! For the first time in my whole life, I’m worried about the guy’s virginity.

I cleared my throat before continuing.

“Anyway, what I want to say is that we don’t need to compete on the same field as them. We have our own ways of turning the tide, right?”

“W-What do you mean? I-I-I-I want to know more!”

“R-Really…Eh? Wait, isn’t this your house?”

Once I snapped out of it, we’re already in front of the house with the “Tendou” doorplate. What an appealing home.

However, Tendou doesn’t care as she leaned forward and asked.

“That’s not important! Please explain in detail about that turning the tide part! Please!”

“A-Alright…”

Tendou’s way too worked up. I freaked out for a bit before I can think calmly.

“Hey, hey, hey, why am I the one that’s giving Tendou suggestion now? Didn’t I decide that I’m on Hoshinomori’s side?”

Then, without me even knowing it, I accidentally acted according to the situation and stood on the same side with the one I’m talking to.

“I guess this is the outcome of me being too smooth and slick…”

Although I reflected on myself immediately, on the other hand, I don’t think it’s right to answer Tendou with a cold attitude.

“Ah, it’s like a match of fighting games come to think of it. While I’m absolutely not holding back during combat. Still, I’ll gladly accept my opponent’s request to talk about what went well and what could be improved for both sides. It’s the same philosophy.”

I’m still not meaning to “stand on the same side” with Tendou. If we’re talking about unconditional support, I’m still shipping Amano x Hoshinomori in the end.

However, even so, I’m not going to waste the chance where both of us can grow.

“I’m certainly on Hoshinomori’s side, …however, I’m really Aguri’s boyfriend.”

After I drew the line in my heart, …I turned to Tendou.

“There’s only one way to differentiate between couples and friends, right?”

“W-What is that…?”

Tendou gulped…At this point, I can’t turn back anymore.

“Sigh, screw it!”

To cheer myself up, I decided to share this method forcefully – The technique that can turn the tide from a couple’s perspective.

“-Creating an indisputable fact, that’s the only way, right?”


Keita Amano

In a night during Autumn, it’s so cold that you’ll immediately start shivering even though for your hot body that just went into the shower.

“D-Double date?”

“Yes. What do you think?”

My yet-to-dry hair has already been pressed flat by the headset, as I asked dazedly. Tendou-san then glanced at me with an angelic smile that looked just as amazing as in real life, even though there’s a screen between us.

I casually rubbed the two sides of my head rudely with the towel on my neck. I even started looking around.

“What do I think…Uh, well, …uh, …uh…”

My brain and tongue are not working correctly, and I can’t squeeze a word out…It’s because we’re calling each other online today at night. It’s an unusual situation, the screen that displayed Tendou-san’s look in pyjamas is already freaking me out.

Moreover, the term “double date” showed up, something that I once thought it had nothing to do with my life…It’s hard for an indoor otaku to not feel scared.

However, since Tendou-san is my girlfriend, she’s guaranteed to know how I’ll react, so she continued without hesitation.

“I think it’s too cautious about calling it a double date. Put it simply, it’s just that we’ll invite Uehara-kun and Aguri-san and go out with the four of us.”

“After I heard that, I feel like it’s only an extended activity for our usual Game Hobby Club schedule…”

It’s just that we didn’t include Chiaki. The things that we’ll do is not that different. However, …why is my back itching so hard right now?

After a moment of hesitation, …I decided to express this feeling sincerely to Tendou-san.

“B-But, …basically, the people that go out of their way to hold a double date, don’t you think they deserve to be thrown into a landfill?”

“I don’t think so!”

Tendou-san immediately complained vehemently about my biased thought…Ay, I understand. But, while I do, …I’m not going to back down easily about this feeling.

“Uh, people will already feel that “pfft, god damn normies” and “explode them all” when they saw a couple. Even so, there’s always a small room of forgiveness of we consider the personality of them, right?”

“No, I don’t have a grudge like that against the couples in the world in the first place!”

“However, for people that will hold double dates, …it’s not like they have anything to do with their relationships. The only thing that you can do is to send them all to the landfill, right.”

“Amano-kun, I don’t have the slightest idea to what you’re talking about!”

“To put it simply, an activity like a double date is the heaviest of the heaviest sins to us.”

“What do you mean by us! Don’t you have a girlfriend already!”

“…Even so, …even so! I still think that there’s a line that we mustn’t cross!”

“What’s with that determined look that resembled the one when you rejected my invitation to the club! Although I’m not willing to say this, I’m attracted to you by a bit! Amano-kun, you’re cool!”

“T-Tendou-san…”

“Amano-kun…”

A sweet and loving aura radiated between the two of us. I let out a laugh before trying to play it cool and tell her. “Bye.” Then, I clicked the disconnect button-

“So, when should we go for the double date?”

“Shit!”

I can’t help but swear, even though I’m talking to Tendou-san. She almost freaked out.

“W-Which part of double dating is making you that uncomfortable?”

“Uh, …well, …I’ll stop joking here…I think it’s really embarrassing.”

After I scratched my cheeks and answered honestly, Tendou-san blushed slightly as well.

“W-Well, I’ll be lying if I’m not embarrassed about the term “double date.” It’s more like, I think that’s more advanced than regular date.”

“R-Right! Double dating could be even more advanced than marriage or giving birth!”

“No, it’s absolutely not there yet. Uh, …but, …Amano-kun, …then you’re really against the idea of double dating, right?”

“…………”

Tendou-san asked again. I can’t help but look away from her…As a guy, of course, I do want to satisfy her wish. However, there’s still a line that I couldn’t cross. Just like when I refused to join the Game Club, in times like this, I should carry a strong and firm determination and-

-During this time, once I looked, I found out that Tendou-san…is currently staring up to me with her watery eyes.

“…It’s not possible, …no matter what?”

How terrifyingly cute. Once I snapped out-

“Of course I’ll go! Double dating for the win!”

-I immediately stood up and answered. Tendou-san put her smile back right away and said. “Really? That’s great!” Then, she started talking about the double date plan that seems to have been initially prepared.

“Well then, we’ll meet each other at 10 on Saturday in front of the entrance of the Viva Spiel Kingdom. Ah, about the tickets, I got some free ones with my parents’ relationship. Please don’t worry about that. You’ll only need to take care of the cost of food and transportation. That’s about it. Amano-kun, are there any questions?”

“…Eh? Ah, no, nothing in particular…”

“Glad to hear that. Then, please look forward to the day. Goodnight, Amano-kun.”

“Eh? A-Alright, goodnight, Tendou-san.”

The call ended without any hesitation.

I looked at the monitor of my PC for a while, dumbfoundedly.

My breaths are getting faster, and I can feel my head is aching.

“…While it’s not good to rely on others with relationships, …however…”

So, I secretly grabbed the smartphone next to me, right at this moment.

Aguri-san called me.

*

Then, after the night, in the family restaurant before we go to school in the morning.

“I can’t guess what my boyfriend is thinking, how frustrating…”

Once Aguri-san took her seat, she immediately put her elbows on the table and wrapped her hands around her head. It looks like she didn’t get a good sleep yesterday, faint dark circles can be seen on the bottom of her eyes.

As for me, …I’m excited about the atmosphere of coming to the family restaurant in the morning for the first time. I’m cheerfully reading the “Morning Menu” that I’ve rarely seen.

“Aguri-san, Aguri-san! I didn’t know that a slice of toast in the morning is roughly the same price as the drink bar in usual times! Woah, that’s incredible, I’m feeling so grown up now!”

“…Amanocchi, you’re quite relaxed…”

Aguri-san turned to me with her dead face before staring at me grudgingly.

Facing her, I raised my head from the menu and answered with a bright smile.

“Yeah, I’m really relaxed right now! It’s because-“

“It’s because?”

“It’s because Tendou-san and Uehara-kun are finally announcing that they’re dating in front of me, publicly. There’s literally nothing to worry about anymore. It’s a complete game over for me! HAHAHA!”

“I take back what I said, this child is in critical condition! W-Waitress, we would like to order breakfast! Give this poor boy an especially good slice of toast, and also a cup of thick coffee! This is an emergency!”

Aguri-san seems to have helped me to order something. Eh, she’s such a nice person. I can’t believe she’s willing to pay for my first breakfast in this family restaurant!

I smiled brightly as I expressed my gratitude to Aguri-san.

“Hey, being able to enjoy a tasty meal in my last moments, I’m so blessed.”

“What do you mean by in your last moments, Amanocchi! Get a hold on yourself! H-How about you just plays on your phone to change up your mood! C’mon!”

“Then I’ll gladly comply…Let’s play this “Girl Oriend” (Temporary)…”

“Eh, why are you playing a game with such a name right now! Are you torturing yourself!”

“I didn’t mean that at all. Even though it’s temporary, now it looks like I’m thinking too highly of myself to treat Tendou-san as my girlfriend.”

“You’re terminally ill, Amanocchi! Wake up! You’re still Tendou-san’s boyfriend!”

“Aguri-san, did you accidentally read “clown” as “boyfriend?”

“Your paranoia is going haywire! I didn’t say that at all! Don’t let yourself spiral down forever!”

“There isn’t an unstopping Ame (ano)…or not.” [Note: The name Amano is derived from Ame, which means rain. He’s joking with his name (or his relationship) here.]

“Amanocchi, what you just said was so boring than I began to cringe! Wake up, I’m serious!”

“That’s rude, I’m excellent. Please look at my phone, Aguri-san. I wrote the word “seasoning” this many times in my notepad in a single night!”

“That’s dark! Especially when you didn’t write words like “die” or “broke up” to express your feelings!”

“But seasoning is good.”

“Okay, I feel like your brain isn’t operating at all, Amanocchi! Ah, here comes breakfast, sip the coffee! Chug the coffee down! Quick, pour it down your throat at once!”

“A-Alright.”

Aguri-san is weird. I’m obviously so energetic and calm right now. She’s the one that’s exhausted. Moreover, seasoning is delicious.

I followed Aguri-san’s advice and drank the coffee before taking a bite of the toast.

…So, for some reason, a tinge of depression immediately swept over me.

“…Sigh. I can’t believe Tendou-san is trying to go out with Uehara-kun…How depressing.”

“Nice! That’s great, Amanocchi, you finally woke up!”

“W-What? Uh, but I’m very depressed right now…”

“Right, at least your emotions returned to normal!”

“R-Really…”

I really don’t understand this girl. However, perhaps it’s because of the coffee and toast deeply resonating within my body, there’s actually an unbelievable feeling of “waking” up. Yeah, breakfast is fantastic.

Just as I’m chewing on my toast energetically, Aguri-san looked at me warmly as if she’s my mother.

“…Sigh, as long as Amanocchi cheered up, I’m satisfied…”

“What the hell, that’s disgusting. Can you please leave me alone?”

“Here comes the rebellious period! This child is finally going through his rebellious phase because of our deep relationship!”

“Hahaha, I’m just kidding…Uh, well, I really appreciated it, Aguri-san.”

I scratched my cheeks as I thanked her. She answered. “Jeez…” Then, she rested her chin on her palms before sighing dumbfoundedly.

Aguri-san suddenly took away my half slice of toast before chewing on it slowly.

“But thanks to you, I’m more or less cheered up now. So, the same goes for you, …Amanocchi. Don’t tell me you planned this all along-“

“Aguri-san, Aguri-san! Right now, in this situation, …I’m enjoying breakfast with a girl in a family restaurant before going to school. A high school student like me should rank very high in the world of normies! Right! Right!”

“-It looks like you’re not.”

Aguri-san looks dumbfounded but relieved at the same time. She’s still beaming her motherly smile at me…Although I appreciate her warmth, it’s kind of pissing me off when I’m treated like this by a girl with the same age as me. Ay, even though those feelings immediately went away when I’m bathed in the peacefulness of enjoying my breakfast.

I can’t stop myself from getting purely excited. Aguri-san then let out a “hmm” before continuing.

“Actually, perhaps this is my first time…to come to the family restaurant in the morning.”

“Eh, really? That’s unexpected. I thought you use this family restaurant as a bus from the core.”

“Amanocchi, did you just casually say something vicious? …However, I did actually went to a bunch of family restaurants, but I never go in the morning.”

Aguri-san dragged my plate of breakfast to her as she said that, and she immediately started digging in one of the poached eggs without any hesitation. Well, I didn’t really mind things like this now. Our distance is comparable to that of family members.

I sipped my coffee as I stared at the office workers outside the window dazedly.

“I still had so many first experiences when I’m with you.”

“That’s my line, Amanocchi. I have never done this with Tasuku.”

“Ah, come to think of it, a guy and a girl drinking coffee together in the morning, that feels…”

“Yeah, you’re right. It feels like we’re in those cliché couple plots in songs from the 90s-“

Aguri-san stopped in the middle of her sentence, and even put her utensils back onto the plate. I also silently put my coffee back onto the cup mat.

“…………”

“…………”

A wave of silence crossed between the two of us…for more than 10 seconds.

We quickly bulged our eyes and locked each other, and then we yelled at each other, blamingly at the top of the lungs!

“Isn’t this the problem!”

We pressed our hands onto the table forcefully. The utensils are shaking. This didn’t raise much attention in the restaurant with the hustle and bustle in the morning, but people from other seats still glanced at us.

After we apologized, we lowered our voices while continued to chat in a heavy tone.

“When did I have so many first times with you!”

“That’s my line, Amanocchi! How many first times do you want to take away from me-“

As we said that, the office worker in the next seat choked with a couple coughs.

“I feel like Tendou-san keeps suspecting the relationship between you and me recently, please don’t do that! Come to think of it, why did we gather secretly in the morning to eat breakfast!”

“What a coincidence, Amanocchi, I’m regretting about this right now! How can you just do a bunch of things with me when even Tasuku and I haven’t done before like it’s nothing! Showing up immediately when another girl called you despite having a girlfriend, I can’t believe it!”

“Y-You say that out loud. If I didn’t show up when you’re trying to find me, you’re the one that will be pissed off in the end! This means that I don’t have a choice at all! This is irresistible!”

“But Amanocchi, isn’t your life all about self-defeating?”

“No! What’s with that crappy impression of yours! My life is still filled with hope and future!”

“Like BL, for example?”

“I feel like I can develop on that side! I’m not referring to that, this is from a rational perspective! Usually, I still got some room when it comes to relationships with girls…”

After I said that, Aguri-san immediately stared at me with an alerted look. She even hugged herself tightly.

“Amanocchi, you’re nasty.”

“…? …Ah, I got it. Aguri-san, you perceived that I wished for a sexual development between our relationship just then…Is this interpretation of what you’ve just said okay?”

“Is it that hard for you to comprehend what I’ve just said to the point that you’re explaining it that much! Hey, hey, hey, …I’m not really treated like a proper girl in your heart, that’s surprising.”

“I’m the one that should be asking, do you even treat me as a guy-“

Just as I’m about to ask her that, Aguri-san started searching in her bag.

“Strange. Ah, right, I just left my makeup bag in the toilet. Hmm, …I’m sorry, Amanocchi, can you help me take it back?”

Aguri-san is suddenly asking me to do errands for her, I almost stood up from my seat on reflex.

“Alright, I’ll go now…Eh, why are you baiting me! People will call the cops, you know!”

“Eh? …Ah, right, Amanocchi can’t go into the girl’s toilet.

“Now I really understand how you treat me!”

Anyway, this proves that as a guy and girl, Aguri-san and I really don’t have special feelings for each other.

We stared at each other’s face as we sighed at the same time.

I understand now. Perhaps it’s like what Aguri-san has mentioned. The two of us aren’t really aware of our gender, that’s why we can’t immediately realize things that you’re not supposed to do with the opposite gender.

For example, I’ll more or less pay attention if I’m with the Hoshinomori sisters. Although I don’t have any feelings for the two, at least I’ll treat them as a girl. I’ll absolutely avoid body contact with them.

However, …if it’s Aguri-san, it’s because we chatted with each other sincerely since we met. We’re even treating each other as family.

To a partner like this, it’s natural for the feeling of “perhaps this counts as cheating” to show up. It’s like I won’t have any feelings for my little brother when we’re in the room alone.

However, …that’s why.

Aguri-san sighed while mumbling.

“I guess…this is where I’m wrong at.”

“Aguri-san…”

It looks like she’s the same as me, she also treated this double date as an activity to announce our game over.

It’s hard to blame her. After all, …if you just want to go out with your boyfriend or girlfriend, a regular date will satisfy that. As for double dates, …only couples that are still too embarrassed to go out alone will do it. Or it’s when two pair of couples are so close to each other that it turned into a “friend circle” and have ideas like this.

However, in our situation, …both sides have already gone on a date more than once. Moreover, the two pairs of couples aren’t that close to each other. It’s especially Tendou-san and Aguri-san, they still can’t act naturally when they see each other.

In other words, when Uehara-kun and Tendou-san are suggesting a “double date” explicitly in this situation, we can see that they mean something else.

As for the meaning behind all this, …it’s clear as water when you consider where we are.

This means that…

“Clearly, …Tendou-san is trying to go out with Uehara-kun, and Uehara-kun is trying to get Tendou-san to enjoy with him in the amusement park publicly. That’s why they suggested a double date, …am I right?”

“…………”

After I said the conclusion, Aguri-san lowered her head silently and poked her plate with the front of the fork.

I also mocked myself with a couple of empty laughs as I stared at the crumbs of the toast on the table.

“…If I’m facing Tendou-san directly, ...facing the love of our partners, it’s almost time for us to admit the fact sincerely and leave, right?”

“…………”

After Aguri-san heard what I’ve just said, …she started to silently poke my poached eggs on the plate. However, I don’t even have the energy to complain anymore this time.

…In the past, ..I, …no, we used to loom that who’s our lover attracted to. However, the two of us thought that “Even so, we can only earn our loved one’s hearts back with our effort!” Putting it in a better way, we’re lying to ourselves with “positive” thoughts.

However, …if Tendou-san indeed fell in love with Uehara-kun, we’re just interrupting their relationship if we do that.

It’s fine when they’re just “suspecting” whether they’re falling for each other. However, …if the two already showed that with concrete actions, it’s time for us to come to the realization.

It’s time for us to realize that this is the end of our own relationships.

…During this time, Aguri-san pressed her fork a bit harder and poked at the yolk at the centre of the poached egg.

“…Amanocchi, are you satisfied with that?”

Aguri-san gave me a serious glare. I locked my eyes with her as I clenched my fist on the table forcefully.

“…It’s impossible for me to be satisfied with that. However, there’s nothing we can do, right? If things are already at this stage, then we…”

“You’re asking me to give up struggling? For the two of them?”

“…Well…”

I was speechless. It was very depressing once it’s converted to clear words. My chest is so stressed that I can’t help it. I don’t know if this qualifies to be called with ridiculous terms like “broken up.” …However, once I remembered the scenery of chatting happily with Tendou-san and our dates, tears are somehow starting to form in my eyes.

I bit my lips as hard as I could. So, …Aguri-san spoke up with a very gentle tone.

“Well, …while the relationship of your loved one is obviously meaningful, but my feelings…The feelings that Amanocchi and I have put in for those two people, I don’t think asking for more respectful is something that I’m forbidden to do so.”

“…What do you…mean by that?”

I raised my head, and unexpectedly found out that Aguri-san is smiling at me…This girl is undoubtedly tough.

“If the two of them clearly explained that “It’s because we love someone else, so let’s break up.” I also feel that it’s not good for us to keep longing over them. However, …we’re still not there yet. If that’s the case, even though we may have lost 99% of it, I still feel like I have the right to spend a last-ditched effort in it.”

Her words…made me feel like there’s a faint sense of hope in my heart.

“Even when we’re 10 points away from out at the second half of the 9th inning, we still have the right to struggle…We have the right to believe that we can turn things around and continue swinging, is that what you mean?”

“Yep, that’s it. Then, if we got a strikeout after we swung as hard as we could. I feel like even if we lost, …it’s a happier ending that way, right?”

“Aguri-san…”

Her smile struck me straight in the heart…This person is incredible, after all. Too unbelievable, it’s almost dazzling me…I’m thrilled that she’s the one that talked with me.

Also, this is perhaps the last suggestion of someone that I’ve respected so long can make.

I wiped the tears at the corner of my eyes hard, and then I beamed Aguri-san with a smile, signalling that I’m unwilling to admit defeat.

“I got it! In this double date, …I’ll try my best to struggle and see what happens!”

“Glad to hear that! Amanocchi, that’s who you are! Good boy.”

Aguri-san leaned forward and rudely patted my head.

After my hair was rubbed roughly for a while, I asked. “By the way…”

“Even if we’re saying that we’re struggling to try and turn the tide. In reality, what are you going to do? On the day of the double date, the things that the two of us can do are…”

“Ho, …Amanocchi, are you seriously asking that?”

Aguri-san raised the poached egg she forked as she answered my question.

Ah, that’s mine…

“Well, a method that can turn things over in one strike, of course, …there’s only one, right?”

“Only one? What’s that…Eh, my poached eggs!”

Suddenly, she opened her mouth and shoved the egg in. After she chewed it lazily, …she even grabbed my coffee and chugged it down. Then, she slammed the cup onto the table with a “bam” as she yelled.

“Creating an indisputable fact, that’s the only way!”



Chiaki Hoshinomori

“Yes, this weekend, let us go to the amusement park…to explore?”

“Yes!”

I paused my game development session before turning back. Then, I found out that Konoha, who just finished bathing, is rubbing her wet hair with the towel on her neck as she smiled at me.

“Sis, you’re not busy anyway, right?”

“N-No, no, no, no, Konoha, I’ve said this many times. Basically, my holiday schedule is filled with either playing video games or creating games…”

“This means that you’re not busy, right?”

“…You don’t even appreciate indoor activities…”

I curled up against my lips, sulkily. Konoha then said “sorry, sorry” with a smile as she crossed her legs. I can see her panties from her shorts.

“…………”

Ugh, what’s with that slightly devilish act that is even attracting her sister for a bit? As always, I’m still feeling a strong sense of “femininity” that doesn’t fit with the seriousness of my little sister. Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable.

Konoha sighed as she continued.

“…But, I guess I can understand you want to spend more time in indoor leisure.”

“Liar. Konoha, you’re not into indoor activities as much as I do, right?”

“Nope. During the holidays, I’ll also play hentai- …H-Hiya, I’m not into it as much as you do…”

Konoha looked away for some reason, then she continued. “A-Anyway-“

“In reality, you don’t have to play and create games every day, right? However, free tickets for the Viva Spiel Kingdom that I got from the committee of the student council only lasts for 2 weeks. We should prioritize that over indoor activities, right?”

“Perhaps…you’re right.”

My little sister is still reasonable, I was speechless. Even so, I wanted to retort something, so I continued, unwilling to let this go. “B-But-“

“I know what you mean, but we don’t have to go as sisters, right? Konoha, you can go with your friends…Right, why don’t you just go with the committee of the student council from Hekiyou?”

I suggested sincerely. However, Konoha shook her head helplessly.

“Dating with the beautiful girls from the Hekiyou High School’s student council…That plot was already reused so many times in Student Council’s Discretion, who would want to see that anymore?”

“K-Konoha, who are you insulting?”

“That cliché plot is already finished. Calling it a date, while mixing in a bunch of humorous conversations and harem to buff up the pages…I feel like that annoying, cliché amusement park plot is something only a C-grade light novel author can write, even I was fed up with it!”

“Yep, that’s why I’m asking you. Konoha, what can you get from insulting people? Tell me!”

“However, in times like this, we can show the public a new, dull plot of exploring the amusement park as sisters, and also appealing to someone at the same time.”

“Sorry, Konoha. If that’s the case, …even for an older sister that hates moe elements the most. In terms of entertainment, I feel like a harem amusement park plot written by a C-grade author will make more sense.”

“No, no, no, sis, you don’t understand. In this industry, it’s not going to work if you don’t put out something weird enough to be a feature. In other words, you need to let the author exercise his/her creativity.”

“Hiya, my little sister, you’re saying that like a weird light novel author.”

“Uh, I don’t want to hear that from NOBE, who’s already can’t be anymore weirder…”

“Ugh, …I-I didn’t mean that on purpose…!”



“…By the way, sis, isn’t this time for us to stop joking around and explain this seriously?”

“You’re saying that like I’m the one that’s messing with you!”

Just as I became speechless, Konoha took a sip of the carton of milk at the corner of the bed before coughing as she moved on.

“Honestly, I don’t want to waste my precious holidays in an amusement park with my gloomy sis either.”

“Konoha, don’t tell me you’re interested in all-out insults now?”

“Ah, sorry, I mean gloomy in another way. Think about it, …it’s…Uh, I love you the most, sis.”

“What’s with that brand-new follow-up insult!”

“Let’s talk something else, gloomy sis.”

“I don’t want to talk anything with you!”

“How about I let you play games for 5 minutes.”

“That’s a lazy way to try to appeal to someone! If you think a little game can satisfy a gamer, then you’re dead wrong- Ah, my phone’s notifying me that the game has full stamina now! Konoha, just a second.”

Around 5 minutes later.

“Phew, games are amazing, Konoha! Well then, we were talking about going to the amusement park together, right? Uwah, I’m looking forward to it!”

“Your happiness just went from 0 to 100 real fast, even I’m freaking out! Sis are games already like drugs to you!”

“I-I can quit it whenever I wish! Yes!”

“That’s precisely what an addict would say! W-Whatever, let’s continue.”

Konoha cleared her throat before continuing.

“Like I’ve said before, the only reason that I’m pairing with sis is just to venture for exploration before the “actual” plan.”

“The actual plan? What are you talking about…”

After I tilted my head, Konoha puffed up her plumpy chest and announced generously.

“Of course, I’m exploring since I wanted to go on a “legitimate” date with Amano-senpai.”

“Huh…”

I was speechless with a totally unexpected response. Konoha then crossed her legs on the bed again and even gave me a provocative look.

“I’m different from sis. I’m not in the least bit willing to miss the chance or let go of each other. I’ll charge straight towards something that I’ve made up my mind with.”

“Eh? K-Konoha, …you love Keita?”

I asked with a rapidly beating heart. After Konoha heard my question, …her strong will disappeared for some reason and answered me slackly.

“Who knows? I’m not too sure either.”

“Eh?”

“After all, I don’t have any experience dating in real life.”

She’s saying that as if she experienced a virtual relationship…Did she play dating sims before…Uh, no way. Konoha will never touch those.

I was a bit confused, so I asked.

“Then, why do you want to go out on a date with Keita…”

“Sis, that’s a dumb question. Of course, it’s because…I’m interested in him.”

“Interested, …you to Keita?”

“Yeah.”

“Sis, who do you think senpai and me are? If we’re talking about interests, …I got it. It’s like my interest to one’s body biologically…No, uh, of course, I mean in terms of personality.”

Konoha looked away from me again as she answered…In terms of personality…Hmm-

I can’t help but cross my arms.

“Konoha, I’ve been suspecting this for a while…Are you that related to Keita? You two more or less can chat when it comes to NOBE’s true identity and Uehara-kun’s confession…However, I don’t feel like you two have that much of a connection…”

To my question, Konoha still refused to look at me. She was struggling to come up with a response.

“W-Well, senpai and I…R-Right. How should I put it, …there’s something connecting us deep inside our souls…”

“S-Soul? Uh, is it like relationships from the previous life?”

“I-It’s close, we shared many memories in common when it comes to hentai games in the previous life…”

“T-The world setting is suddenly getting this supernatural! I can’t believe that my little sister has such an unbelievable experience! You need to explain everything now!”

“I-I think I can’t explain this to anyone, …really.”

“Yep, people’s previous life can be sensitive sometimes. Uh, …anyway, you can’t get Keita off your head for some reason, am I correct?”

“Y-Yes! Okay!”

Konoha seems to be giving me an “I’m saved” looked before leaning forward in agreement…Don’t tell me, is she that unwilling to talk about her previous life?”

I respected Konoha’s decision, so I stopped asking her about her previous life. However, I gave her a new question.

“But, you’re dating him just because you can’t get him off your head…”

“…Sis, that’s why you can’t change anything…”

I asked Konoha, who’s slightly lowering her head and mumbling. “What do you mean?”

Konoha slowly raised her head…Then, she gave me a confident smile.

“I’m not going to let myself fall into love idiotically. My relationship…is going to be incubated by myself.”

“…Konoha…”

I was convinced by my little sister’s imposing manner.

I can’t retort anymore, so Konoha squinted a little before telling me.

“However, I’m not the only one that wanted to “explore” outdoors, right? Sis, do you think I’m right?”

“…………”

“Alright, I’m done.”

Konoha raised from the bed and walked directly to the door. She only left a “sis, goodnight” and prepared to leave the room.

I mumbled quietly to her.

“I’m going…”

“Eh? Sis, what did you say?”

Konoha obviously heard it, but she still asked me mischievously.

As for me, …I raised my slightly blushed face abruptly and clenched my fist in front of my chest. Then, I announced with a determined look.



“I-I’m going to “explore” in the amusement park too, please!”


No comments:

Post a Comment