Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Gamers Volume 4 Chapter 4

Chapter 4 – Keita Amano and the Deliberately Guided

Translator: your_pingas

“You want me to join the Game Hobby Club? …Are you serious?”

“Yes, I’m serious.”

I nodded definitively. Then, Aguri stopped eating the donut in her hands before giving me a frustrated frown.

“…Uh…why?”

She tilted her head as she opened her mouth with sugar sticking at the lips.

I gave her a smile.

“Why…Of course, the only reason is that Uehara-kun and I wanted to enjoy our time in the Hobby Club with you.”

Aguri-san heard my blunt response. For a moment, she gave me a warm smile. But then, she immediately reverted to her suspicious face.

“Uh, Amanocchi, I really appreciated that…But, you wanted me to join the Game Hobby Club?”

“Yes, Aguri-san.”

“But I don’t play games at all.”

“That doesn’t matter. You only need a heart that loves gaming to join the club…”

“That’s the exact reason. I don’t love gaming at all.”

“…It’s also okay if you love a person that enjoys gaming.”

“That’s lax! The membership requirements are really lax!”

I looked away at her reasonable complaint. Aguri continued with a gentle, persuading tone.

“Amanocchi, I’m pleased that you invited me. But this is really too far-fetched. While participating in the club with Tasuku sounds fun…However, I’m not a girl that doesn’t observe the situation at all.”

“Hmm…”

She makes too much sense. I can’t say anything. But…but I can’t back down just like this.

“A-Actually, I asked Tendou-san’s opinion again, she agreed as well.”

“T-Tendou-san is joining?”

Aguri-san was a bit shocked. Earlier, she mentioned that “she trusted Tasuku” to me. But that was its own issue. She can’t help but to mind the fact that her boyfriend is in the same club with a beautiful girl. However…Aguri-san is still not moving an inch.

She elegantly took a sip of her Darjeeling tea, which doesn’t fit her style at all. Then, she beamed me a reluctant smile.

“Sigh…i-it doesn’t matter. Tendou-san loves gaming, after all. Moreover, you Amanocchi, as her boyfriend is in the club as well. This is a natural conclusion. That reason alone doesn’t justify my participation, right?”

“Hmm…”

This is way off from what I’ve expected. This gal just doesn’t want to join.

To re-evaluate my strategy, I took a sip from the bitter condensed coffee to try and take in some caffeine as I looked away from Aguri-san to the store.

The donut store at 2PM is filled with a sluggish atmosphere apparent in the late summer holiday. The seats are filled with school girls holding their cheeks as they’re chatting to their friends.

“But…come to think of it, this is probably thanks to Aguri-san. Even though I don’t belong to this room at all, I’m no longer uncomfortable with that.”

I was scared to be seen in a place like this, sometimes even going so far as to think that someone will speak ill of me. But now…while my paranoia still existed, I believe that “maybe this is fine” at the same time. I guess I became a bit more cheeky.

“I feel like…all of this is thanks to Aguri-san.”

Her personality and lifestyle are the opposite of Tendou-san and me….However, that’s the exact reason why I’m convinced. If we are talking about normies, the same thing goes for Uehara-kun, but Aguri-san is still different from him.

If Uehara-kun is a person that can limit himself to cooperate with others, Aguri-san is a girl that can show off her real side while still being appreciated by others. Well, wilful is one rash way to put it. Yet, her behavior can be described as limited in a range that others find acceptable. Just like the situation I’m in right now…

“But Amanocchi, this donut is perfect. Nomomom.”

“Glad to hear that.”

…Initially, she wanted to take a bit of my donut, but now she already ate 1/3 of it. That’s fine, she’s adorable, this is entirely acceptable.

“…Nomomom…Ah, I’m sorry, Amanocchi. I think I finished the entire thing. Ahaha.”

“…I-It’s alright.”

I took back what I’ve said. To be honest, Aguri-san will sometimes go over the line by half of a step. B-But, this is as capricious as she’ll get, a level that puts a bitter smile on one’s face.

So, speaking of this charming Aguri-san.

…I’ll admit here.

Right now, she’s the most important woman to me.

“I’m sorry, Tendou-san…”

I apologized to my girlfriend in my heart, but I still can’t stop myself from feeling this emotion. I can’t hold it back anymore. Aguri-san, I’m really…really…

…Really sympathetic to you!

“I can’t believe your boyfriend confessed to another girl while you were out travelling during the summer holiday, how pitiful!”

I’m still on the edge of crying, no matter how many times I think this through. So, I immediately crossed my arms on the table and put my forehead on the back of my hands. Then, Aguri-san leaned forward while giving me a worried look.

“I-I’m sorry, Amanocchi? Your donut…”

“No…it’s fine, Aguri-san. It’s fine…”

Sigh, this girl is way too kind-hearted. How could I get angry when my donut was eaten by a girl like this?

I slowly raised my head and gave her a gentle smile.

“…Eat up, dear.”

“Grandma! Amanocchi, you’re like my loving grandma!”

“Really? Very good indeed. Do you want another one?”

“I’m disgusted by your sudden kindness! Amanocchi, what is this? Ah, are you trying to bait me into joining the Game Hobby Club?

“Of course not. Grandma just wants you to be well.”

“That fake acting is pissing me off even more!”

Even when Aguri-san said this, I still keep a smile plastered on my face while staring at her. I knew that she can’t tolerate me being a grandma, but I can’t change my attitude.

It’s because I’ve already made up my mind at that moment.

“I will…I will stand with Aguri-san no matter what!”

Although it’s terrible for Uehara-kun and Chiaki, this is my conclusion.

*

About a week ago.

After the impactful event where Uehara-kun unexpectedly confessed to Chiaki.

The Hoshinomori sisters and I immediately changed location and headed towards the café to hold an emergency conference.

However, during this time, before we get to discuss the hot issue at hand. When we’re reviewing the current situation, something shocked me.

That is the fact that Chiaki has two fatal misunderstandings with my personal relationships.

The first misunderstanding is the relationship between Aguri-san and me.

Chiaki didn’t know that Uehara-kun and Aguri-san are dating each other…which I kind of expected before. However, that’s not the only problem, I don’t understand how Chiaki can twist her understanding that much, she even thought that I was dating with Aguri-san. I immediately denied it. “It’s not like that at all.” However, Chiaki and Konoha-san don’t seem to find this entirely convincing. The crux of the issue appears to be the fact I would often be stuttering when they asked me why I am going out with Aguri-san.

With that said, it’s not exactly easy to say that we’re just discussing each of our relationships.

So, I gave her a vague answer. “Aguri-san and I are just good friends.” “That’s why we often chat with each other.” Then, Konoha-san gave me a cold stare for some reason as she tried to correct me. “Doesn’t that mean you two are really close to each other?” I can’t really answer her…The sisters ended up concluding that the relationship between Aguri-san and I is in the “reconsideration” status.

However, at least both of them are convinced that Aguri-san and Uehara-kun are dating each other, luckily. It’s just that I’m a bit surprised, Chiaki doesn’t seem to be shocked…Did she know something already?

Also, another misunderstanding of Chiaki…is that she thought that Tendou-san is just pretending to be a couple with me. This theory stemmed from her belief that Aguri-san is my ex-girlfriend. The reason that Tendou-san accepted my confession is that she wanted to save me from Aguri-san’s scam out of her “kindness”…Chiaki appears to be thinking it that way. That would explain why Chiaki is emphasizing on the word “kindness” earlier.

By the way, this whole incident is very impolite. I can’t believe she said I was blackmailed by Aguri-san…Well, that’s not entirely wrong. B-But, that’s not as severe as what Chiaki has imagined.

Then, after I defended myself. Chiaki immediately…

“Ahhh, that’s right, that’s the line of a typical child who’s bullied continuously! It’s like that kind of “Oh, I’m wrestling with my friends” excuse!”

She freaked out. Uh, w-well, I did sound like that tone! However, Aguri-san isn’t a nasty girl. I tried my absolute best to convey this point to her, and I finally managed to solve Chiaki’s misunderstanding. From what I heard from Chiaki, she said she got the impression of “Hmm, I didn’t expect that this gal seems to be a nice person” when she’s playing the game of life with Aguri-san. Of course, Aguri-san is a really nice person, after all.

With that, I unexpectedly acquired the chance to solve some of the misunderstandings between Chiaki and me.

However, I also grabbed the chance and explained the relationship between Tendou-san and me.

“Ah, while I’m not sure what Tendou-san thinks…but at least I continued dating Tendou-san because I love her. I’m not lying about that one.”

I presented my own thoughts firmly. However, Chiaki gave me a complicated bitter smile. Don’t tell me she wants her rival to suffer under the relationship with the devil version of Aguri-san? I’m not sure what Chiaki’s thinking.

Anyway, after we fixed all these minor misunderstands, Chiaki changed her mind and no longer considered Aguri-san to be a devil. (Even though she was quite right in some parts) Also, she “reluctantly” agreed that Tendou-san dated me out of her “affection” and not out of her “kindness.”

Then, we can finally talk about the fact that Uehara-kun confessed to Chiaki.

“So, is it okay for me to treat that handsome Uehara-kun guy as a shitty player?”

This comes from Konoha-san, who never directly meet with Uehara-kun before. Although she’s kind of harsh, I guess it’s reasonable for an outsider to view it this way after a subjective view of the whole situation.

After all, Uehara-kun...told me that he can no longer support the relationship between Tendou-san and me…This means that, after he reaffirmed his love for Tendou-san for not even a second, he immediately called Chiaki and confessed to her.

This is all upon the fact he already got Aguri-san as his legitimate girlfriend. From all these pieces of intelligence alone, Konoha-san’s attitude is reasonable. She’ll definitely not feel good when a person like this is harassing her sister.

On the other hand, Chiaki and I don’t agree with Konoha-san’s point at all.

The reason is simple. It’s because we’re sure that Uehara-kun is not a shitty person like that.

Chiaki lowered her voice as she mumbled.

“Konoha, Uehara-kun is very warm to everyone, he’s a reliable and attractive guy.”

“Sis, that’s precisely what makes him dangerous. From his look, he’ll call himself the king of harems if he took a wrong step. Sigh, I hated him. This is what an aggressive normie looks like.”

Honestly, Konoha-san’s view of Uehara-kun is stringent while being very convincing at the same time. But Chiaki and I don’t believe that entirely since we knew how great of a person he is. However, from Konoha-san’s perspective, she became even more suspicious towards Uehara-kun because it looks like he just convinced two lonely and innocent otakus. It’s impossible to explain.

But we won’t have any progress if we just sit around and discuss this. So, we had to reluctantly back down, and continue to hold the conference under the assumption that Uehara-kun is a guy that doesn’t seem to be aware of the damage that a harem mindset can cause.

I crossed my arms on the table and began to speak respectfully.

“So, the Uehara-kun in question just unexpectedly confessed to Chiaki…”

After that, I gave Chiaki a gentle smile.

“Uh, forget about all those suspicions for a second. Chiaki, I wanted to congratulate you first.”

“Eh?”

“I mean, it’s an honourable thing that a guy you’re attracted to just confessed to you, right? Chiaki, forget about Uehara-kun’s issues, I think you can at least be happy first.”

It’s because I just started dating Tendou-san, so I can understand…Even though there are mysteries behind, but hearing a person that you love confessing to you is a good thing.

However…Chiaki’s look is unbelievably stiff.

“Uh, what’s wrong? Are you still troubled by Uehara-kun’s suspicions?”

“Y-Yeah. Sigh, that’s right…”

I’m not that convinced of Chiaki’s unwilling tone. So I continued.

“Well, I think you should be genuinely happy that the guy you loves confessed to you.”

“…I can be genuinely…happy…when the boy I loved confessed to me…right…”

During this moment, Chiaki glanced at me for some reason before giving me a warm smile.

“Perhaps. Um…I think I’ll be excited. If…I can hear the boy that I cared about said…he loves me. That would make me very happy.”

“Right? Then we can celebrate Uehara-kun’s confession to you-“

“AHEM!”

Then, for some reason, Konoha-san interrupted our conversation with an explicit cough. So, I had to stop asking for a moment.

Konoha-san changed the topic quite forcefully.

“Right now, we need to immediately discuss how should we do with my sister.”

Sigh, she’s right. I secretly took a glance at Chiaki’s face, and I found out that she plopped her head down with a perplexed look. No…I still can’t let it go. Although I might piss her off, I really needed to get this out of my chest.

“Uh, Chiaki, you’re quite fond of Uehara-kun, right?”

“That’s true…”

Chiaki still wouldn’t give a straight answer. Is she too embarrassed to say her affection? Well, I mean, it’s not like I don’t understand that…

Konoha-san’s glare is stabbing me…Well, I’ll have to let it go for now.

“Sigh, h-he’s really suspicious right now. I guess it’s reasonable for you to hesitate for an answer, even though you two are falling for each other, that’s right.”

“Falling for each other, right…”

Chiaki’s mumbling face still doesn’t look happy…Hmm, don’t tell me Uehara-kun suddenly became unworthy. Chiaki’s way more depressed than I’ve expected. Sigh, this is hurting my brain…Eh? Hurting my brain? Why would I? Do I really hate Chiaki getting this apathetic? We’re rivals after all, why?

I fell silent with all these thoughts on my head. Then, Konoha-san looks like she can’t take it anymore as she slammed her head forcefully on the table. She’s the student council president. Indeed, she got the boldness.

“Personally, my only choice is to turn him down as soon as possible! You two have any better ideas?”

“Uh…”

Although Chiaki and I really can’t stand the fact that Uehara-kun is treated like a shithead, he does seem to be guilty judging from the situation alone. We can’t really say anything aside from expressing our trust towards him.

Also, the point that I can’t tolerate the most is that Uehara-kun already got a fantastic girlfriend called Aguri-san right now. If Chiaki accepted her confession…that would hurt Aguri-san deeply. To me, that’s the one thing that I absolutely can’t tolerate with.

“…………”

…Yeah…that’s right. Okay, I can’t let that happen, no matter what. This means that I should…

“Chiaki.”

“Hmm?”

I made up my mind as I crossed my arms on the table and looked at Chiaki in the eyes.

Due to my unusual attitude, Chiaki straightened her back as well. Under the observation of Konoha-san’s, who just swallowed her saliva, I told Chiaki clearly.

“To be honest, I don’t wish for you to date Uehara-kun as well.”

“Eh?”

Chiaki blushed. Maybe she’s angry…I guess that makes sense. It’s not a rival’s job to decide how her relationship should go, not to mention that it’s a rejection. Of course, she’ll be pissed.

Even so…I still wanted to support Aguri-san. It’s because I’m 100% sure that she should be the girl that stays with Uehara-kun.

I stuck my forehead onto the table and requested to Chiaki.

“I’m sincere! I know that this is very impolite…but if you already doubt whether to date him or not because of a little suspicion, I hope that you’ll reject Uehara-kun’s confession! Please!”

“Eh? Wait, Keita? W-W-Why are you going so far right now…?”

It’s because I wanted to support Aguri-san…I can’t say that right now. If I did, this means that I’m throwing all the hatred and responsibilities to her. That’s the worst thing I can do. This is just my unauthorized request, only for my self-satisfaction. However, …on the other hand, even though Chiaki’s my rival, I can’t just make up a random reason to her.

I pressed my forehead even harder on the table.

“I can’t tell you the reason right now! Although I can’t say it…and I know that I’m a prick…this is what I’m sincerely thinking! So, Chiaki, please!”

“Keita…um, d-do you mean that…”

“Senpai…this means that you’re actually…”

Both of the sisters seem to be so shocked that their voices are trembling. No, it’s more like anger. Of course. Konoha-san may have more or less realized…It’s because…compared to Chiaki, I value Aguri-san’s well-being more. I’m lucky if she just scolds at me for being a prick.

All I can do right now is to plop my head down.

However, they said that they need to be aware of other customers, so I unwillingly raised my head.

…Then, after I looked at them face-to-face again, I found out that the Hoshinomori sisters blushed way harder than I imagined.

For some reason, Chiaki started mumbling gratefully.

“Still can’t make up your mind even though you’re in a relationship…T-That’s bad! Jeez!”

“Eh? R-Right, that’s true. That would be bad.”

Although the subject was omitted, Chiaki should be talking about Uehara-kun, right? Also, she said a bad comment about the person that she loves…This means that…

“This means that Chiaki accepted my sincere request. She’s willing to reject Uehara-kun’s confession!”

What a kind bunch of seaweed. I changed my opinion of Chiaki from the bottom of my heart as I stared her in the eyes. Chiaki started to be embarrassed…Man, how humble of her! I really changed my mind about her!

Just as my mind ran all over the place, this time, it was Konoha-san who blushed for some reason. Then, she spoke with tears in her eyes.

“That’s cheating…! You’re purely trying your best…to make her change the person’s mind no matter what…!”

“C-Change the person’s mind? Uh…”

Crap, I really don’t get her meaning this time. How can I interpret this in a way that can link all the pieces together? Uh, Konoha-san wanted to change the mind of whom? Uehara-kun? No, that doesn’t make sense…It’s not like I’m going to be anything better if I changed my mind. Or did I miss something important? That’s why I don’t really understand what’s she trying to say?

This is probably why, but the mood doesn’t appear to allow me to ask Konoha-san to repeat again…

“Sigh, w-whatever, I should try to fudge it with a smile. I need to smile as chicly as possible…Alright!”

“Hmph, hmph! S-Senpai is hurting my brain right now! You monster!”

“Eh!”

Uwah, I seem to have made a fatal mistake when I’m replying. It’s not good to randomly reply, after all! That’s precisely why I should be careful when it comes to interpersonal relationships, I shouldn't miss a single word! Alright…I will listen to people’s mumbling even though they will complain to me unrelentingly!

After I made up my mind, Konoha-san brought us to the topic with a cough.

“Well…sis, so what are you going to do? Do you want to call him and turn him down now?”

“Eh? But…isn’t that too…”

Chiaki’s giving a hard look. Of course. I will also hesitate if I need to turn down Uehara-kun as well. This is too painful. To put it this way, for a pathetic weakling like us, it’s possible for me to just not move for a while out of my hatred towards myself. When did I get so mighty to the point that I can reject Uehara-kun? Some kind of self-blame mindset like this.

“Even if I’m rejecting…there’s not an appropriate reason…”

“Ah…”

Konoha-san and I fell silent after Chiaki said that. She’s right. She can’t just go ahead and say, “Uehara-kun, it’s because you’re really suspicious with females around you” or, “Keita asked me to turn you down.” If that’s the case…

“Chiaki, can you say you love another person?”

“Eh?”

I’ve never seen Chiaki blushed so hard before.

During this time, Konoha-san interrupted us forcefully.

“Amano-senpai, don’t you know what “implicit” means?”

“Eh? Uh…eh? S-Sorry…?”

While I’m bewildered about why she’s mad, I still apologized immediately.

The Hoshinomori sisters tried to adjust their breaths for some reason…W-What is this atmosphere? Based on the progress of our conference…Isn’t this just an idea that will come up eventually…?

Konoha-san gave me a glare before continuing.

“Amano-senpai, if she did that…it’ll be troublesome if Uehara-kun asked who’s she falling for?”

“Me? Why? Eh? I wouldn’t be bothered at all…”

“What! That’s manly of you!”

I feel like the Hoshinomori sisters are admiring me for some reason…? Crap, is there another fatal misunderstanding between us again? There’s clear evidence. Well, while there is…I really can’t think of a solution or conclusion now. What should I do?

As I dazed in thoughts, Chiaki cleared her throat with a cough.

“I’m not doing that. That way of rejection will ruffle a lot of feathers, no matter what.”

“Really? But turning him down without a specific reason doesn’t sound good as well, right?”

“I don’t mind using words that’ll completely destroy a shitty person. However, what I fear the most is that the guy will mess with her if she gave a vague reason for rejection. Sigh…to be honest, I can’t really think of an alternative either.”

Then, I suddenly remembered Tendou-san used to reject other people’s confession all the time. In a sense, she’s an expert at this.

Without further ado. I called Tendou-san right away. The Hoshinomori sisters are waiting while giving me a weird look. After a few rings, Tendou-san picked up the phone. I gave her a simple greeting and went straight into the core.

“Tendou-san, please teach me how to turn someone down!”

“…Eh?”

I can hear that Tendou-san’s clearly shocked by the other side of the phone. Still, I continued.

“I’m sorry for the sudden rude request! But…I really need to know how to reject someone cleverly right now!”

“Eh!…A-Amano-kun…does that mean…you want me to teach you?”

“Huh? Yes, of course! Please teach me how to use it!”

This is for my friend. I wanted to say that, but then I can hear that Tendou-san’s cries from the other side of the phone!

“I-I refuse!”

“Eh!”

I didn’t expect her to just reject me right away, so I was shocked…Honestly, maybe it’s because of the fact that this topic is not interesting at all. However, I’m doing all of this…for Chiaki!

“P-Please! I can only rely on you! Your opinion’s the most effective!”

“I guess so! I’m your best opinion if you ask me!”

She’s feeling confident! If that’s the case…

“This means that you’re willing to teach me? Am I reading this correctly?”

“Not at all! Amano-kun, why don’t you…why don’t you figure that out on your own! U-Uwahhh…!”

“Tendou-san! What’s wrong? Don’t tell me a passing boxer punched you in the stomach!”

“While I’ve never encountered such a crazy situation before, but I might as well have been!”

“Eh! P-Please, wait, Tendou-san! I’ll come to save you!”

I stood up hastily. The Hoshinomori sisters freaked out…while I can hear Tendou-san’s shocked voice from the other side of the phone.

“…Eh? Are you saving me? By now? Saving me?

“Of course! No boyfriend will not come to the rescue of their beloved girlfriend!”

“B-Beloved…Ouch.”

“Tendou-san!”

I can hear that Tendou-san has fallen onto the floor lightly. Crap! This is not good! There’s really a boxer randomly punching people on the street…!

Just when I’m about to start running, Tendou-san’s clear voice can be heard from the other side of the phone.

“Thanks for the food.”

“What did you eat! Tendou-san!”

“I’m sorry for causing you trouble, but I’m fine. Amano-kun, Karen Tendou is completely fine!”

“That’s not fine! What’s with that weird tone! Were you punched! Did someone hit you in the gut so hard that you begin to babble nonsense!”

“In a sense, someone did deliver a sharp blow to me. I appreciated it.”

“What are you appreciating! Don’t tell me you were punched by Inoki!” [Note: Antonio Inoki, a famous Japanese professional wrestling and mixed martial arts promoter.]

“Amano-kun.”

“Y-Yes?”

Tendou-san’s tone suddenly turned serious. I can’t help but straighten my back. Then, I can hear her surging, gentle voice from the other side of the phone.

“I love you.”

“…………”

The call was hung up. I put my phone back to my pocket…Then, I slowly sat back down with my hands crossed on the table…before staring at the sisters thoughtfully.

“Sigh…how can my girlfriend be so adorable?”

“WHAT THE HELL!”

They started screaming at me for some reason, followed closely by “Die!” and “Lame!”, but I’m too blessed to hear all that. Ah…Tendou-san’s so cute.

My head was floating around, and the Hoshinomori sisters yelled at me, a couple minutes passed.

After everyone has finally calmed down, we were back to discussing how Chiaki should reject.

“I ended up forgetting to ask for Tendou-san’s suggestion…”

I looked at Hekiyou’s student council president after I said that.

“Konoha-san, what would you do then?”

“What do you mean, Amano-senpai?”

“I mean, I wanted to know what will you say when you reject a confession. You’re cute after all, there should be a bunch of people that wanted to confess to you, right?”

“Ugh! You’re saying stuff like that again…!”

Konoha-san knocked a few times on the table. Just as Chiaki and I were frozen, Konoha coughed and calmed down before she answered me.

“…Well, ah, in my situation…I’ll say I’m not interested in those things at all.”

Her response made me genuinely laugh.

“Ahaha, what do you mean by not interested in that at all, you’re just a hentai game-“

“Senpai?”

My foot under the table was brutally stomped. I immediately sweatdropped as I continued.

“…A hentai game lover like me feel like all girls in the world wanted a guy to hug them, hehe!”

Chiaki freaked out at my sudden change of attitude.

“Keita? What’s wrong with you! Are you possessed by an evil spirit?”

“Sigh, I’m sorry, Chiaki. I just accidentally expressed who I really am. Continue with your relationship!”

“Who can discuss their relationships with a guy like that! By the way, are you okay, Keita? I can’t tell if your face is pale or blushing. That colour is weird!”

“That’s fine. It’s just that countless emotions are battling each other in my heart right now. By the way, the winning side is the Empire of Keita Amano Really Wanted To Die.”

“That’s not fine at all! Your emotions are way too volatile!”

“Don’t mind it, Chiaki, I’m fine. Also, Konoha-san, I’m sorry.”

After I apologized, Konoha-san gave me a customary smile.

“It’s okay, don’t mind it. I’m not going to despise even though senpai is a nasty hentai game lover. Yes, I promise, because I can understand.”

“I guess so…”

During this moment, Konoha-san finally moved her feet away from mine. I pressed my chest in relief.

Then, she continued like it’s nothing.

“I’m the student council president after all. It makes sense for me to use “I’m busy” to reject…but sis have a lot of free time. I don’t think the guy will accept that solely.”

“Well, I, your sister, is into game development, though…”

Chiaki answered sheepishly. I remembered that she’ll make games as well, so I asked Konoha-san.

“Come to think of it, you sisters did take part in developing F2P games. Right, NOBE?”

“Uh…yes, that’s right.”

Chiaki was the one to answer. Uh, I’m talking to NOBE…

Just as I’m confused, both of the sisters suddenly gave me an alerted look. Then…

“Hello, I’m NOBE! Dundun!”

“Wow, K-Konoha’s awesome!”

This pair of sisters just started messing around. Konoha-san didn’t care that other people are staring at her, she rose up and gave a celebrity pose. The older sister than cheered and clapped for her. What is going on…is this a trick that only sisters will know? Anyway, I cleared my throat with a cough because I can’t catch up to them.

“Uh…can you two at least sit down first? This is embarrassing.”

“…Ugh…who do you think the culprit of this whole mess is…!”

“Uh, at least it wasn’t me, right?

“Ugh…!”

Um, you two don’t need to stare at me that fiercely. What’s wrong with this pair of sisters? Is blaming everything on me in the Hoshinmori bloodline’s genetics?

Just as they are trembling and sitting down, I resumed the discussion.

“Alright, about the troublesome situation of Chiaki, Uehara-kun, and the girls that are tangled with him…I’ve come up with a decent solution, can I say it?”

“Decent solution?”

The Hoshinomori sisters tilted their heads. Then, I presented my idea stemmed from reverse thinking.

“To confirm what Uehara-kun’s really thinking, and to end this matter as soon as possible…Why don’t we just gather all relevant girls in one place? To put it this way, I wanted to drag Tendou-san and Aguri-san into the Game Hobby Club, what do you two think?”

*

So, back to the present, in the donut shop a week after the meeting.

Also, during this week, there are no apparent changes in our interpersonal relationships. The main reason is that Uehara-kun went on an overseas trip with his family after that. However, this means that Chiaki had the time for reconsideration, I don’t think it’s terrible. What if…Uehara-kun already saw this coming when he confessed? If that’s the case, he’s indeed a terrific normie.

“Hmm…but, I’m really not interested in gaming.”

Aguri-san’s still frustrated during my trip of memory. I’ve already argued with her for more than 30 minutes. Even so…I’m still not backing down.

“Please! Can you! It’ll be fun. Moreover, Uehara-kun will be there as well!”

“That’s actually quite compelling…But intervening that much in my boyfriend’s hobbies or friends. To be honest, don’t you think a girlfriend like this will be annoying?”

“Not at all! You’re a god among females! Guys can’t find you annoying!”

“But your tone is annoying as hell. What’s actually going on, Amanocchi?”

“Me? I…I’m just a passerby that worships my friend’s girlfriend as a god among females.”

“There’s no way for a passerby to stand out this much!”

“At least I’m completely willing to hold a ritual with the blood of a chicken just for you!”

“Please don’t make my religion into a cult! Amanocchi, what drugs are you on today! That’s scary, what are you going to do to me!”

“I wanted to praise you as my only god!”

“That’s ridiculous! F-For what!”

“It’s because once you’ve become god, no one on Earth can stop your ambitions!”

“I’ve never told you any grand ambitions that required me to become a god before!”

“Uh, you’re right…how should I put it…”

To defeat Uehara-kun’s inner player…and make him so obsessed with Aguri-san to the point that he can completely ignore a beauty like Tendou-san. This required a spirit that’s willing to conquer everything to become a god. But…I can never explain all that to Aguri-san.

I scratched my chins slowly as I answered with a serious expression on my face.

“How do I put it…Aguri-san, I feel like you’re going to be a great god.”

“Hiya, I got a surprising compliment for my talents.”

“So, join us and become a god in the Game Hobby Club!”

“What’s with that! What’s going on in the Game Hobby Club!”

“It’s basically a gathering for gamers. Only you have to be a god.”

“I don’t fit in at all! I’m even less willing to join now!”

“Crap! Uh, my bad! You don’t have to be a god! I just want you to participate!”

“Please, Amanocchi, I’ve repeated this for a few times already, I’m not into gaming…”

“But you don’t hate it right!”

I leaned my whole upper half of the body on the table and asked Aguri-san. Her eyes blinked.

“I don’t hate it…but…I suck at gaming, and I don’t know much…”

“Me too. I suck at gaming, and I don’t have any deep knowledge.”

“Forget about all those first, my situation is that I didn’t play at all…”

“I’ll also always come to the realization that I’ve played nothing but mobile games, that’s not an issue.”

“…You might be right. But…I still feel like..”

Aguri-san’s eyes are rolling around like they have nowhere to go. Honestly…I don’t want to force a person to like my hobbies, especially when they expressed their rejection sincerely. This is true, but her situation is…

I decided to drop the issue between Chiaki and Uehara-kun first. Then, I started talking to Aguri-san calmly based on my own opinions.

“…Don’t you and Uehara-kun go to the arcade often?”

“That’s not so much about loving to play games…it’s just that I feel happy when I’m clawing dolls with Tasuku…That’s why I go with him…”

“Then, why can’t you put that motive onto the Game Hobby Club? Don’t you want to enjoy the time with Uehara-kun?”

“Eh? Uh, maybe that’s the case. But as a gaming noob, I’m scared that I’ll say something that I’m not supposed to say…”

“By now, do you really think that Uehara-kun and I will be annoyed by a person with no gaming sense or whatsoever?”

“I don’t think so…but Hoshinomori-san’s there, also Tendou-san’s joining…Think about it, if someone wanted to join as well, they’d most likely find the girl who sticks to her boyfriend annoying-“

She rapidly spewed a string of reasons for not joining the Game Hobby Club.

“Aguri-san.”

I called her name to interrupt.

“The reasons for your rejections. All of them…seems to be because you concern over others.”

“T-That’s because…”

“I really like a kind-hearted and observant girl like you, so I respect you. However…Aguri-san, I wanted to hear what’s really on your mind.”

“…………”

Aguri-san turned to me and gave me a serious look…I’ve finally made up my mind and challenged her directly.

“To be honest, the reason why I’m going after you this much is due to my own plans. While I can’t reveal them to you, but I still wanted to apologize first. I’m sorry.”

“Amanocchi…”

“But, it’s true that I wanted to enjoy gaming with you.”

“Why? I don’t really have a purpose-“

“Didn’t we have fun when we’re playing that game of life in Chiaki’s place?”

“…………”

At the start of the summer holiday, we played that Love Love Game of Half-Life in Hoshinomori’s house. While that game of life’s definitely not worthy of praise, and it made the situation between Aguri-san and me helpless under a string of accidents. However…

I scratched the back of my head to try and hide my embarrassment.

“Uh…I changed my mind towards gaming for a bit after I started dating Tendou-san.”

“…How?”

“Although I haven’t made up my mind yet, I feel like gaming is quite similar to a meal. While it’s fantastic to have tasty dishes…but the person that you’re eating with is sometimes way more important than what you are actually eating.”

…After all, I had a good time in that. Honestly, …there’s tears in my eyes when it’s time to go home. I didn’t even realize that I forgot my pass holder.

That time of excitement and depression when we’re playing the game of life is irreplaceable.

Just as I’m staring at Aguri-san with all of my heart, she glanced at me and asked.

“…Amanocchi…are you happy when you’re playing with me?”

“Of course!”

I nodded with the most confidence that I recently have. Aguri-san scratched her face slightly.

“…Will Tasuku feel the same way…when he’s playing with me?”

My heart is aching from Aguri-san’s shy look. Of course…I wanted to tell her that. I can definitely say that if it was in the past. But now, I found out a bunch of suspicions pointed towards Uehara-kun. It’s irresponsible for me to just comfort her half-heartedly.

“…I’m sorry. I can’t answer your question because I’m not Uehara-kun.”

“…I guess you’re right.”

“But I’m sure of one thing…That is the Game Hobby Club will definitely welcome you. You don’t need any skills or knowledge! You’ll be an irreplaceable friend for us if you can enjoy gaming from the bottom of your heart!”

“…Really.”

During this time. Aguri-san…finally showed her cheerful smile for the first time of today. She thought about it for a moment. Then, she stretched her backs as she spoke.

“I’m confident that I’m the happiest of all when I’m spending time in the arcade with Tasuku, does that qualify for me to join?”

“Yes.”

“Then, I understand. Well, if you went out of your way to invite me…”

So, Aguri-san gave me an innocent, cheerful, and beautiful smile like she’s a child.

“I’ll join the Game Hobby Club and try it out.”

“Really! That’s great!”

“Ah, but-“

She immediately put back her serious face as she continued.

“I’ll not hesitate to speak up if I’m joining. I will say I don’t know if there’s a part of gaming that I really didn’t know about. The same goes for the weird part.”

“Come at us. Perhaps it’s good for us when someone that give an opinion from that perspective.

“Really? That’s good…A-Also! The most crucial premise is that, if Tasuku doesn’t like it, or if it was way too mentally demanding for Hoshinomori-san or Tendou-san. I’ll have to reconsider the offer.”

“Alright, I got it…Haha, you’re still just as gentle as you used to be.”

“Hehe, it’s alright. Amanocchi, don’t fall for me.”

“Ah, no problem. You really don’t need to worry about that.”

“Uwah…what’s that, I feel really pissed after hearing that.”

I think I made her mad. So, I sighed as I tried to reply.

“Then how about I immediately blush because I care about you, are you satisfied with that?”

“…Eww.”

“Ay, I’m honest, can you please don’t cover your mouth and try to vomit silently?”

That damage is a couple times more potent than being called a disgusting person. That’s not even a joke.

“Sorry, Amanocchi…I really don’t feel that way to you. Should I say…I can’t accept it biologically…”

“Eh? Why did I just get brutally rejected! Did I do a confession!”

I felt like I’m about to cry. Aguri-san went back to her usual tone as she happily continued.

“Ah, but don’t get it wrong, Amanocchi. When I said I can’t accept you biologically, that doesn’t mean your appearance alone, your immanence counts as well.”

“You’re pretending to be comforting me while going for the kill, how nasty of you! Do you really have to reject me mentally as well!”

“3, 3, 3, 1.”

“At last, you’re even using the cross score method that you’re unfamiliar with to stab me! Who gave me a 1? Did I kill that person’s parents?” [Note: I’m not sure where this gag comes from, seems to be something related to the PTE Test.]

“Tendou Karen must buy.”

“Please don’t make it sounds like a Fan Must Buy! What’s with that tone, you’re making it looks like only Tendou-san will accept my values! Even though it’s really that case!”

“…Uh, the other thing is…A-Amanocchi, you’re dumb?”

“You don’t need to try and scold me if you can’t think of a creative insult! What the hell, you can never be bored with bullying me!”

“Ahaha, I’m sorry, this is quickly becoming my habit.”

“Please change that bad habit!”

Aguri-san chuckled mischievously at my reaction. Then, she stretched her backs with a big “Phew” before standing up from the chair.

“Then I guess it’s almost time for me to go. Actually, I’m going on a date with Tasuku, who just came back from his family trip.”

“Really? What a coincidence, I’m meeting Tendou-san as well.”

“Oh, not bad. You two are going steady.”

“It’s all thanks to you. Please enjoy your date, as well.”

“Of course! The same goes for you, Amanocchi!”

“Alright!”

I smiled as I watched Aguri-san putting her tray back to the recycling area before leaving. Then, I found out that after she went through the auto glass door, she was already jumping around the streets with a big smile on her face.

“Haha.”

A sense of happiness that can’t be described with words immediately filled my chest.

“Hmm…I still wanted to stand with Aguri-san, even though…it might hurt Tendou-san and Chiaki who’s attracted to Uehara-kun. Even so, I still wish Aguri-san and Uehara-kun can grasp their love for each other in their hands! I can do anything for that! Yes!”

I made up my mind as I raised from my seat. Then, I put back the tray and left the store.

The sunlight that’s less harsh than early August is scorching my skin.


…The short and condensed summer holiday of the north is about to meet its end.



No comments:

Post a Comment