Saturday, January 7, 2023

Too Many Losing Heroines! V4 Chapter 4 & Epilogue

Chapter 4: 16 Years Old’s Prologue


Translator: Pingas


December 25th. Morning. The sunlight and the crisp cold air leaked into the room through the gaps in the curtain.

I dazedly covered myself in the blanket a little tighter.

Today’s my birthday, Christmas, and the closing ceremony. What a busy day.

The alarm hasn’t gone off yet. I’m still enjoying the warmth of my blanket-

“Merry onii-sama! Happy birthday to you!”

The sound of pulled party fireworks echoed in the room, along with Kaju’s cheers.



So this is what she’s doing this year. I rubbed my eyes and sat up.

“...Good morning, Kaju. You’re so energetic.”

“Indeed, today is worthy of celebration, after all. Here, onii-sama, get up.”

Kaju spun around once in her red dress. The bottom part is swaying around.

“Eh, what’s with your outfit?”

“Yes, I’m dressing up as Santa Claus because it’s Christmas. What do you think?”

Kaju’s outfit is a Christmas dress. There’s a reindeer horn headband on her head.

“Yes, very cute. But Kaju, isn’t Christmas banned in our house?”

“Indeed, onii-sama is right. It’s because Kaju is baffled every year.”

Kaju came here and kneeled on the bed.

“Even though today is onii-sama’s birthday, people only love Christmas for some reason. Kaju has been up against a world like this constantly. In other words, this is Christmas versus onii-sama.”

Isn’t my enemy way too strong?

“But Kaju has realized it already. Perhaps everyone in the world is celebrating onii-sama, right? Are all of the light decorations for onii-sama…? I thought about this for the entire night and had successfully made peace with Christmas.”

“Glad to hear that. So, you should go to bed.”

Eh, but she said she only accepted Christmas this morning-

“When did you buy this Christmas dress?”

“I don’t know why this is under Mom’s wardrobe-”

“Alright, stop. I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that.”

Information overload in the morning.

“Kaju’s winter holiday is starting today. That’s why I need to do my best to prepare a big meal tonight. The main course will be a whole Mikawa roasted chicken. Please look forward to it.”

“Oh, looking forward to it.”

“Yes! In a sense, today marks a new beginning of onii-sama. Even though it’s a little surprising, Kaju will do my best to support you!”

“Beginning….? It’s indeed my birthday today, but aren’t you exaggerating it a little?”

Kaju closed her hands before her chest thoughtfully.

“Kaju is very surprised with what happened yesterday. However, Kaju will definitely support onii-sama’s decision!”

…What is she talking about? I just got home, took a bath, and went to bed normally yesterday night.

“Did Kaju tail me yesterday?”

I said that half-jokingly. Kaju nodded.

“Indeed, I was curious to see who onii-sama had invited.”

“Eh, you really saw us!?”

“That girl is from Tsuwabuki High School, right? I’ve seen her during the summer trip!”

-The Literature Club’s summer trip. I think Kaju was in that Toyohashi City Student Council Summer Exchange Camp on the same date as well.

Even though nothing had happened between Shikiya-san and me, it was a little embarrassing when my family saw that…

“Kaju, I think you misunderstood. I’m not going out with that person.”

“I knew it! That girl is a girlfriend candidate to onii-sama, right!?”

Kaju approached with a bright smile. Her cheeks are red.

“There are probably a lot of hiccups, but Kaju will always be on onii-sama’s side, you know?”

“That person is the senpai in my school. We don’t have that relationship. Here, get off my bed.”

“Sure, please cultivate the romance between you two! Kaju will definitely watch over you two silently this time!”

I see. Well, thanks a lot. Kaju yawned and rubbed her sleepy eyes.

“Kaju, you didn’t have a good sleep yesterday, right? No need to prepare dinner. Go to bed.”

“I need a bake a triple-layered cake. There won’t be enough time if I don’t start now. Also, the chicken is fresher if it’s killed in the morning!”

Uh, she’s killing it right now? No way, right?”

“Onii-chan just wants a simple cake! Just a single layer is enough!”

“But, but, onii-sama, won’t that be too lonely? I still want to kill and bake an entire chicken…”

“Then I want salty riceballs, tofu, and a plate of vegetable salad.”

I’m planning to be a vegetarian for the day. Kaju’s cheeks pouted unhappily.

“...Give me your arms.”

She mumbled quietly.

“What?”

“I’ll sleep if onii-sama gives me an arm pillow.”

Sleeping together has been banned in my house since Kaju entered middle school, …but there’s no way out this time. I leaned on my bed and reached my arm out.

“I’ll only stay until Kaju falls asleep, alright?”

“Yes, onii-sama!”

Kaju immediately laid down next to me.

“Hehe, it’s been so long since I’ve slept with onii-sama, right?”

“It’s been two years since you entered middle school, right?”

“...Yeah.”

What’s with her tone? Don’t tell me she has been sneaking into my bed whenever I don’t notice.

I wanted to question her further. However, Kaju is already snorting regularly.

She didn’t sleep well last night. No wonder she falls unconscious this quickly.

Oh, it will be bad if my alarm wakes Kaju up. I reached my other hand out and turned it off. Now I have to prevent myself from falling asleep again.

However, there’s no way I can sleep since Kaju’s on my arm. I should just rest my eyes. Yesterday night was a lot for me, after all.

But the blanket…feels really warm. Perhaps it’s because Kaju’s sleeping next to me, right…?

I can…sleep for a little more, right…? I have set…an alarm, …right…?”


In the end, I lost my perfect attendance award because I was late on the last day of the second semester.

*

The closing ceremony ended successfully.

The principal talked for as long as usual. His explanation of the winter holiday precautions was 5 times longer than Amanatsu-sensei’s.

The student council committee is helping the Broadcast Club out with the ceremony. Right now, they are still busy finishing everything up.

Teiara-san is checking the equipment as she deals with the clingy Shikiya-san. In other words, Shikiya-san isn’t working.

Perhaps a lot has happened between them in the past as well. However, as of now, we have solved everything we need to.

I watched the crowd at the gymnasium’s entrance dazedly.

The third-year students are trickling out, but they probably still need more time.

I kept a short distance from my classmates. Yanami came next to me.

“...Nukumizu-kun, it’s rare for you to be late today.”

“I fell asleep again. I tried to run for it on my bicycle but couldn’t make it in time.”

“Eh, don’t you go to school by train? Why don’t you use your bicycle if it’s faster?”

“It’s too tiring. Summer’s hot, and the winter’s cold.”

She made a few “hmm” at my answer before asking quietly.

“By the way, Nukumizu-kun, what happened yesterday?”

“Didn’t I text you on Line yesterday? I guess everything went alright.”

“No, isn’t that too vague? What do you mean by I guess it went alright? I won’t have such a hard time losing weight if everything goes alright.”

What on Earth is she talking about?

“I’m not sure of the exact details. Shikiya-senpai didn’t seem like I could ask her any further yesterday.”

For some reason, Yanami glared at me after hearing that.

“...Hold on, didn’t you just let those two senpais meet each other yesterday? Did you go on a date with Shikiya-senpai?”

“It wasn’t a date. We were just eating at a cafe.”

“Isn’t that a date? Spending Christmas Eve together in a cafe makes it a date, right? Heh, Nukumizu-kun surely had a good time when I was counting pi decimals…”

Counting pi decimals…on Christmas Eve?

“Do you like counting that?”

“You think I wanted to?”

Then why did you do that? Yanami glared at me ferociously.

“I bought a pi table with a million decimals to last through Christmas Eve. All of my troubles went away when I was halfway through. I can lend it to you next time, you know?”

I don’t have that many troubles. Give it to me now if you have to.

The crowd in the gymnasium has almost disappeared. Yanami took a step toward me.

“...Nukumizu-kun, about that thing after school.”

“Oh, there’s a Christmas party, right?”

Yanami nodded.

“I’m still hesitating whether I should go. How about this? I’ll convince Imouto-chan to let you go to the party with me.”

“But no one will notice me at the party. There’s no one to talk to.”

Yanami kicked my shoes displeasedly after hearing that.

“...You still have me.”

Not that she’s wrong, but everyone around will be so lively. I can predict that I won’t fit in at all.

However, in contrast to her, I don’t want them to come to talk to me just because they feel bad…

I was trying to come up with a good reason to reject her. Then, I saw Shikiya-san lifting a speaker with her hands and wobbling at the corner of the gymnasium.

It’s good that she’s working, but why do I feel it’s a little dangerous? The cable of the speaker seems to be tangled with her legs already. Ah, why is she walking sideways? She’s about to hit the wall…

I can’t take it anymore. How come that girl always makes people worry about her?

“What’s wrong, Nukumizu-kun?”

I ignored Yanami and started walking toward Shikiya-san.

I picked up the pace. Then, Shikiya-san stepped onto the cable and lost her balance.

The speaker made a huge noise when it slammed onto the ground. Everyone in the gymnasium looked here.

As for what they are looking at- I’m hugging Shikiya-san with both hands.

“Senpai, are you alright?”

Shikiya-san’s thick eyelashes are twitching as she’s in my hands. She seems surprised.

“I’m fine. …What about the speaker…?”

“Who cares about the speaker-”

I suddenly calmed down after realizing our posture right now. This is like one of those signature moves of ballroom dancing.

Nearly a hundred Tsuwabuki students are staring at us.

“H-Hey, can you stand up on your own!? You can? Then I’ll let go!”

I immediately tried to move away. However, Shikiya-san hugged my neck instead.

“Hey, senpai!?”

“Why did…you come here?”

“Huh? It’s because senpai was wobbling. It seemed dangerous, so-”

“Are you…always paying attention to me?”

Her makeup scent radiated into my nose.

Shikiya-san’s white pupils are gazing at me dazedly.


“Do you want to…go out with me…?”


Her whispers are as sweet as nectar. It’s almost like she’s stroking my neck.

After a short silence, noise rippled throughout the surrounding students.

Being at the epicenter, I first repeated what Shikiya-san said in my mind calmly- and then I frantically shook my head.

“N-No! I won’t dare to do that- I’m saying it would be too arrogant for me to do so!”

“...No?”

“Y-Yes!”

I screamed in a high pitch. Shikiya-san mumbled softly.

“...I see. …I misunderstood…”

Shikiya-san went quiet.

Everyone is looking at us from afar. They are whispering to each other.

What’s with this feeling? Did I mess something up…?

I remained still as cold sweat dripped from my body. Teiara-san squeezed out of the crowd and approached us.

“Hold on, Shikiya-senpai! What are you two doing in public!?”

She forcefully pulled Shikiya-san out of my hands.

I’m saved. Teiara-san glared at me sharply.

“N-Nukumizu-san! I knew it! You go after a girl whenever you see one! I’m disappointed in you!”

“No, no, I just helped her out because she was about to trip over. Senpai, help me out here.”

Shikiya-san nodded gently. Then, she tilted her head toward Teiara-san.

“Then, …it’s Teiara-chan’s turn…”

“Wha!? I didn’t have any-”

What? Is there something else?

I’m a little startled. As for Shikiya-san, she lifted Teiara-san’s chin with her finger.

“Should I…help you say it…?”

“N-No, thanks! N-Nukumizu-san!”

Teiara-san blushed and stood before me.

“Ah, yes. How can I help you?”

“I want to talk to you today after school. Please free your schedule!”

“Eh? Sure, I guess…”

“D-Don’t you have any weird expectations, okay!? I’ll give you a call later!”

Teiara-san pulled Shikiya-san’s hand and left after saying that.

…Uh, what just happened?

I couldn’t move, so I decided to pick up the speaker on the ground to try and get rid of everyone’s attention.

Shikiya-san’s icy skin and the warmth within her body are still lingering around my palm.

“Uh, does anyone know where I should place this speaker…?”

The surrounding noise swallows my pathetic voice.

Two-timing, complicated relationships, love triangle. These unsettling words resonated throughout my ears.

Wait, what should I do…? I looked around for help and saw Yanami.

…Ah, she looked away.

Konuki-sensei showed up in her white coat just as I was having a hard time.

“Alright, return to your classrooms, everyone. Homeroom is about to start.”

Sensei asked the students to disband as she waved at me.

“Bring that speaker over here. Follow me.”

“Ah, yes!”

I’m saved. I feel very guilty for not wanting her to approach me at one point.

Konuki-sensei came close to me from behind when I put the speaker onto the shelf backstage.

“...Things are rough on you. Why didn’t you talk to sensei about your trouble in these boy-girl relationships?”

“No, there’s no such relationship at all. I’m serious. Please stop whispering next to my ears.”

I really don’t want her to approach me, after all. It’s best for her to keep a two-meter distance.

“Sensei is really generous with things like this. There’s a paid app that lets you disguise your chat account as 5 different ones. Should I introduce it to you?”

“Uh, I’m done here. Well, I’ll be leaving.”

I ignored her and attempted to leave.

“...Hey, Nukumizu-kun.”

Sensei called me with an unusually somber tone.

“What’s wrong?”

“Sensei has experienced a lot at your age as well. Of course, I have faced them from a young person’s perspective.”

A gentle smile appeared on her face.

“But, at this point, I sometimes think if only I had faced them with a more sincere attitude.”

“Sensei…”

Konuki-sensei carried an all-knowing look. She gave me a reassuring nod.

“That’s why, Nukumizu-kun, it’s not just the body. If you face her with your naked mind and soul-”

“Okay, first of all, we don’t have any body contact.”

I interrupted her.

“Ara, not yet? Sensei is very good at that. Are you planning to do anything about it?”

“Nope, but thank you, sensei.”

She must be worrying about me in her own way, right? I smiled reluctantly.

“No worries. Do your best, Nukumizu-kun.”

Konuki-sensei winked at me and left the backstage.

As if it was waiting for this moment, a notification ringtone played from my phone.

I forgot to switch on the silent mode. At least it didn’t go off during the closing ceremony…

I sighed in relief and took out my phone. It’s a mail from Teiara-san.

The title is <Excuse Me>. It’s simple and clean, much like Teiara-san’s personality.


<After school. Mukaiyamaoikecho Park. I’ll be waiting for you on the bridge and return your thing.>

*

It’s the last homeroom of the second semester. I remembered what happened in the gymnasium after closing my ever-unchanging comment form.

“Do you want to go out with me? Shikiya-san asked.

What would happen if I had given a firm answer at the time…?

I shook my head forcefully to get rid of that thought.

That’s too good to be true. I did well there and avoided the bad ending.

Looking around the classroom, Yanami is having fun with her friends. Yakishio’s sleeping on her desk. The Himemiya married couple is flirting. All of this is the same as the first semester.

I’m relieved to be in such a familiar scene. Then, the guys in the class keep glancing at me from time to time.

…What’s wrong? Is there a ladybug on my head?

I rubbed my hair. During this time, Hakamada came and put both hands on my table.

“You were amazing there, Nukumizu.”

“Huh? What?”

“In the gymnasium. I know you’re close to the senpai in the student council, but I didn’t expect you to have something with the vice president too.”

Uh, what does that mean? I noticed the surrounding gazes and looked around. A few people immediately looked away.

“Hey, this is a total misunderstanding. I don’t have any relationships with those two.”

Hakamada nodded thoughtfully. He patted my shoulder.

“I get it. You’re having a rough time. Some people like to spread rumors, after all, no matter where you are.”

Yeah, one of those people is standing before me.

“Hey, I know you’re not a guy like that, but it’s best for you to figure out your feelings as soon as possible, you know?”

Hakamada returned to his seat after saying that. The final “like you’re the one to talk” of this year from me will be his…

The classmates have almost piped down after receiving their comments. Amanatsu-sensei clapped her hands.

“Alright, everyone. That’s all of the Christmas presents. Go back to your seats.”

Everyone sat down and waited for Amanatsu-sensei. The winter holiday won’t start until she’s done talking. The classroom finally went silent. Amanatsu-sensei spoke up respectfully.

“You know, sensei was working overtime on Christmas Eve yesterday. I went to the supermarket before it closed. There’s a 50% discount on cakes.”

…So, she’s talking about this at the end of this year. Amanatsu-sensei closed her arms and continued bitterly.

“So, sensei thought, if today is the real Christmas, wasn’t it too early to put out the 50% discount sticker? It’s fine for Christmas cakes to be left behind for two to three days, right?”

The classroom responded with silence. The wind is blowing the window, causing it to rumble.

The whole class is confused. Amanatsu-sensei slowly opened her eyes.

“-Sensei has already decided not to eat the cake until New Year’s Eve to prove I’m right.”

Please don’t.

Ignoring our worries, sensei smacked the podium with her attendance sheet. She let out a parched noise.

“Alright, that’s all I have to say to you all! Don’t get carried away by the winter holiday, everyone.”

Cheers erupted in the classroom.

I listened to the ever-unchanging complaints in the ever-unchanging classroom.

However, it’s a little different from the last semester this time.

I’m 16 years old.

*

After homeroom, everyone in the classroom is talking about the Christmas party.

Based on my observation, around two-thirds of the class will be attending. Of course, a good chunk of people doesn’t care, like me.

I took my school bag and stood up. Yanami and Himemiya-san are having a conversation.

“So, Anna can’t go to the Christmas party after all?”

“I really want to go too, but there’s work to do in the Literature Club. Sorry.”

Huh, Yanami isn’t going to the Christmas party?

What was the Literature Club work she talked about? Does she think there’s a strategy conference today as well..? If she said she wants to go, it’s not good for me to pretend I didn’t see anything, right?

I entered Yanami and Himemiya-san’s 12K zone.

“Yanami-san, we don’t need to do anything in the Literature Club today, you know?”

“Eh?”

Yanami’s expression turned stiff. As for Himemiya-san, her aura immediately brightens.

“Is that true, Nukumizu-kun? That’s great, Anna!”

“Ah- look. Don’t we have to finish the club magazine? Right, right, the printing isn’t finished, right?”

Yanami said that as she winked at me.

Hmm? What is this girl doing?

I feel like she’s giving a signal to someone, but there’s no one behind me…?

“The printing is only for Tsuwabuki Fest and club registration day. There’s nothing much to do this time.”

“O-Oh, …I see.”

“That’s great! Anna can come to the party! Hurray!”

Himemiya-san hugged Yanami with a bright smile. Even though I don’t really understand, it’s good that you two are happy.

“Well, I’ll be leaving.”

I prepared to leave. Yanami pulled my school bag.

Uh, what’s wrong? Why is Yanami giving me a murderer’s stare?

“...Obviously, Nukumizu-kun will go too, right?”

“I’ll have to meet Basori-san, so I won’t go. Well, Yanami-san, happy new year.”

She feels a bit terrifying. I have to go to the meeting spot. I turned around and glanced back at the classroom for the last time. Yanami’s eyes were like those of a dead fish as Himemiya-san dragged her away.

…But Yanami wants to go to the Christmas party, right?

Even though she has been hesitating before, a girl’s heart is surely wonderful-

*

Mukaiyamaoikecho. It’s near downtown Toyohashi. It takes around 15 minutes by bicycle from Tsuwabuki High School.

People will realize how big it is when I say its area equals three Nagoya Dome.

There’s a promenade and park around. It’s a tourist hotspot during the Sakura season too. However, it’s a little desolate on a weekday in winter.

I left my bicycle in the parking lot near the cultural hall. I came to the pondside after walking along the promenade. A long bridge split the pond into two. The bridge seems to be over 100 meters long.

We’re meeting on the bridge. By the way, why did she pick such a spot?

Even though it’s a real-life BL doujinshi, we could have just done it in the club room or behind the school building. We are talking about Teiara-san here, but I don’t think she’ll threaten my well-being, …right…?


After going through the promenade, the massive pond spreads out before me.

The pillar on the bridge writes, “Oikechohashi”. The bridge end at the opposite coast seems to be wider.

There’s a bench there. I think someone’s sitting there upon closer inspection.

The crisp breezes from the west skimmed through the water. I couldn’t help but shiver.

I can’t imagine anyone other than Teiara-san is willing to stay in such low temperatures. I took a deep breath and stepped on the bridge.

Looking from afar, she seems to be wearing a coat and scarf outside her uniform.

She seems to have noticed me already. The girl stood up and sat down worriedly.

As her figure becomes closer and closer in my view, even I’m starting to get nervous.

It’s Christmas today. Taking all that effort to invite someone to a quiet place is literally the prerequisite to a rom-com, normally.

I arrived. Teiara-san couldn’t seem to wait any longer. She lowered her head.

“Thanks for coming here.”

“I don’t mind, but why this place?”

I asked flatly despite not feeling the same. Teiara-san looked around chicly.

“No one’s here. We don’t need to worry about being eavesdropped on. Is there a better place to talk about something we don’t want others to know than this place?”

This location provides a 360-degree view of Oikecho. Indeed, there’s no way other people can know what we’re talking about with such a far distance. It’s three times bigger than Nagoya Dome, after all.

“I understand, but can’t we just go to the karaoke room or somewhere?”

“Who was the one that brought another girl here last time?”

“Yakishio just- alright, my bad.”

…Indeed, she’s the usual Teiara-san. She raised her head and glared at me.

“Then, Nukumizu-kun, what happened in the gymnasium?”

“Uh, the gymnasium…?”

Don’t tell me she heard my conversation with Konuki-sensei.

“It’s about Shikiya-senpai! Why were you two talking about dating!?”

“I don’t know, either. It’s because we’re talking about that Shikiya-senpai here.”

“Hmm, …that’s true.”

That was my last resort, yet she believed me. This girl is easy.

“Anyway, I can agree that you think my promise is fulfilled if you call me out here, right?”

“Yes. Honestly, I didn’t look forward to the result at all.”

This girl is impolite, as usual.

“As Tsukinoki-san’s kouhai, I just wanted to face this problem with you together. So, honestly, I didn’t hope those two could mend their relationship. I really appreciate you for that…”

Teiara-san seems a bit awkward. She lowered her head.

“...What happened?”

“I feel like Shikiya-senpai is getting closer to me. Nothing weird happened yesterday night, for real, right?”

“If Teiara-san is worried about that kind of thing, please ease your worries.”

“What do you think I’m worried about? Also, please don’t call me by my first name.”

Teiara-san took out a paper bag displeasedly.

“Uh, this is…?”

“I told you I’m returning your book, right? I’m a person who keeps her word.”

Isn’t there something else other than the book in the bag?

I took it in confusion. There’s a red paper box inside with a ribbon.

“There seems to be something else other than the doujinshi.”

“...It’s for you.”

Teiara-san looked away and muttered something.

-Why?

I swallowed my question back. I remembered the “Technique of Responding to a Present” Kaju taught me yesterday before I left home. I didn’t expect it to be helpful this early on.

Let me think. The first thing I need to do is…

“Uwah, I’m so happy. Can I really accept this?”


-Conveying my surprise and joy. This is absolutely important.



“Y-Yes, please don’t be so overjoyed. It’s just something a high school student can afford.”

“Don’t say that. I’m thrilled. Can I open it?”

“D-Do whatever you want.”


-Expressing my happiness repeatedly and showing the attitude and intent to open it.

Unwrap it afterward. The most important thing is to be careful here.

According to Kaju, only an elementary school boy will tear the package apart carelessly.


“...Uh, what should I do next?”

I couldn’t help but mumble. Teiara-san looked at me in surprise.

“What? What does that mean?”

“Ah, no, it’s nothing. …Oh.”

There’s a green scarf inside.

“Eh, you’re really giving me this? This is too amazing, right?”

Teiara-san’s ears flared up after hearing the unexpected feedback. She plopped her head down and mumbled quickly.

“T-That’s why I told you this is just a gift of gratitude. I referenced Aichi Prefecture’s minimum wage and estimated a rough amount based on your effort, and here’s the result!”

It looks like there’s a labor contract between Teiara-san and me.

“Isn’t that a lot of money?”

“Hmm, well, …the value of this task can’t be measured with money alone. That’s why I didn’t count it. Don’t fuss over the details!”

Also, she seems to think I’m an office pick-up artist before I even know it.

“I see. Well, I’ll accept it with gratitude.”

According to Kaju’s advice, the action required when receiving personal items is-

I put on the scarf and smiled at Teiara-san.

“It’s warm. Thank you.”

“Huh!? Uh, yes! It’s made with wool!”

Teiara-san’s words aren’t making sense.

Even though I’m following the tutorial, did I mess up somewhere…?

I observed Teiara-san restlessly. She has a red scarf on her neck as well-

“By the way, is this scarf the same as Basori-san’s except for the color?”

“I-It’s just a coincidence! This is the only kind of scarf the APITA Store has!”

“I don’t mean anything. I like green quite a lot.”

“Sure, that’s…great.”

Teiara-san seems to have found her composure. This is the final level.

Hmm, if I remember correctly, the line should be-

“Thank you very much. I’ll take care of this. This will remind me of Teiara-san every time I see it.”

…Very well. That’s all of Kaju’s technique for accepting presents.

I relaxed my shoulders. As for Teiara-san, her face blushes so hard that steam seems to appear on her head. Her whole body is trembling.



“Hey, are you okay?”

“...Don’t get carried away.”

Teiara-san plopped her head down and mumbled.

“What?”

“D-Don’t get carried away!”

Teiara-san glared at me with teary eyes. She poked my chest with her finger.

“Listen up! This is just a simple gift of gratitude! It’s just a coincidence that the package looks a little weird because it’s Christmas!”

What? …Why is this girl so angry?

Indeed, Kaju’s technique is a little too early for me, right? I should have practiced with Komari first…

“Alright, I get it. Calm down.”

“No, you don’t! With this opportunity, let us have a nice discussion about fixing the inappropriateness in the Literature Club…”

Wait, it’s not over yet?

Her momentum forced me to the railings of the bridge. A cheerful melody played next to my ears.

“Ah, I have a phone call. Can I pick it up?”

I don’t know who you are, but you’re my savior. I turned away from Teiara-san and took out my phone.

The name of the savior displayed on the screen is- Anna Yanami.

…Guess I’m not saved.

Yanami should be at the Christmas party right now. Honestly, I have a terrible feeling.

I have no choice but to press the accept button. Karaoke songs and people’s laughter can be heard from the other side.

“Hello?”

No answer. The cheers echo afar like background music.

Well, it looks like I can hang up. I tried pressing the end button.

“...Save me.”

Someone mumbled. Yanami’s deep voice is drowned out by the noise.

“Ha? Hey, Yanami-san?”

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. …Eh, she hung up on me. Did she die?

I turned to Teiara-san again as I prayed for Yanami.

“Uh, did something happen?”

“Well, it’s not a big-”

Cheerful “dings” can be heard from my phone non-stop as if it was to interrupt me.

At a glance, text after text appears on the notification screen.

The sender is Yanami. She’s still alive.


<Aren’t you coming to the Christmas party?>

<It’s really fun.>

<Just think of this as falling into my trap for once.>

<Come here.>


You aren’t fooling me. Nothing good will come out of this.

I closed my heart, but more messages attacked me.


<Where are you?>

<Come over here.>

<Hurry up and let me fool you.>


See? She’s tricking me, but things will worsen if I don’t go now…

“Sorry, Basori-san. They asked me to go to a club meeting. I have to go.”

“Eh, I see. Sorry for suddenly bringing you out.”

Teiara-san lost her momentum completely. I shook my head.

“I’m the one to apologize. Thank you very much for your scarf!”

I purposefully looked at my watch and immediately departed the scene.

*

Even though a lot has happened, I have safely taken back the doujinshi. Now I can enjoy my winter holiday.

I returned to the promenade from the bridge. After confirming that no one else is there, I look inside the paper bag.

It’s a self-made photocopy. For some reason, there are a ton of post-it notes on it. It looks like it’s sealing up an evil spirit. However, this is undoubtedly Tsukinoki-senpai’s real-life BL doujinshi. Those notes are full of detailed feedback upon a closer look. Why is she keeping those here…?

I opened the book to a random page. There are a lot of quality illustrations.

I’m on the top, so this is me, right? …Haha, …this is amazing…

Oh, shit, I don’t have time to read everything. I have to report this to Tsukinoki-senpai on Line as soon as possible.

Kaju should be preparing for my birthday back home. I have to be back right after comforting Yanami.

I remembered it was this time last year. I had to prepare for the exam, and Kaju made me a list of questions she predicted would be on the exam. We did the exam together. Finally, I defended my honor as the older brother with a slight advantage. That memory is still fresh to me.

My phone rang as I was about to call Kaju.

The screen displays “Koto Tsukinoki”. She’s fast. I wonder if she’s serious about her exam preparations.

“Hello, what’s wrong?”

“You’re still asking that? You did well yesterday.”

That’s the first thing she says. I took the phone away from my face and laughed.

“Yeah, I did that. Well, can I hang up?”

“It’s a joke. Thanks a lot.”

We chuckled. I started explaining after that.

“Sorry, I knew I was actually meddling in you two’s business, but I had to since it involved two student council members.”

“You’re right. Even though there is a lot I want to apologize for, I won’t ask you about your date with Shintaro. Let’s just call it a draw, hmm?”

“Tamaki-senpai was really sad yesterday. Please pamper him afterward.”

“Ah, my pampering has been finished perfectly. Winter nights are long, after all.”

“Can I charge you for topics like that?”

It looks like things are fine between them.

I passed a woman taking her dog for a walk and fell silent.

Senpai remained quiet. She then spoke up in a calm demeanor.

“...Nukumizu-kun, thank you very much. I have definitely learned my lesson.”

“Indeed, I hope you do.”

“It’s fine. I really have. That’s why I made some slight changes to that novel and made Shikiya a new character. I’ll send it to you later.”

“...Senpai, you have learned nothing, right?”

I made a mistake. This person is- Koto Tsukinoki.

I sighed and tried to end the call. Senpai continued anxiously.

“Wait, I really am reflecting on my mistakes. I’ll use a digital version with passcode protection instead of paper to avoid it from being distributed. Also, the password is the last 4 digits of the document.”

“Alright, please prepare for your exam. What if only your boyfriend gets into the university? That person will realize he’s very popular with girls, you know?”

“...I’ll do my best.”

I’m glad she understands. I stretched my back after hanging up.

Alright, let’s check up on Yanami next.

Facing danger with determination- is a sign of manliness.

*

Literature Club Report - Internal Edition

<The Sweetness Between Teachers and Students> by Koto Tsukinoki


[TL: BL warning.]

Zavit Royal Magic Academy. It’s the top noble academy on the continent.

Two men are heading toward the massive school building through the long stone slab road.

One of them is wearing a kimono with hakama pants. He looked around anxiously from time to time. He seems worried. The man is rubbing his cheeks right now. His messy mustache is spreading throughout his face.

“Hey, Mishima-kun, are we really going there? Aren’t there rumors about human-eating demons around here?”

“Where else can you go after getting kicked out of the elf village?”

The man in a khaki military uniform answered. He seems to be tired of answering.

“This is what I’m talking about. Shouldn’t the reincarnated receive some basic human rights? Getting exiled is too much, right?”

“What rights do you want when you have jumped into the river with an elf lady? Appreciate the fact that you’re still alive.”

Dazai is a little guilty after hearing Mishima out. He retorted childishly.

“It’s because that was the first time I’ve heard elves won’t drown. I was the only one who almost died. I feel like I was cheated on.”

“Those people are elves too. It was just a coincidence that they saved Dazai-san as well.”

Mishima wanted to let him be aware of his impatience. He sighed and started speeding up his legs, wrapped in military boots.

This is one of Dazai-san’s bad habits. He has to say that this person is utterly defenseless when it comes to women.

That’s why Mishima gave up his chill adventurer’s life and came here with him.

Mishima stopped and looked up at the building.  Two spires are reaching toward the blue sky.

Dazai and Mishima are here to become teachers with Kawabuta’s recommendation.

Dazai looked at the school building in shock.

“This school is way too massive, right? Is there wine in the canteen?”

“You’re still thinking about that? They may feed you to the dragons if you don’t pay attention to your conduct.”

‘Don’t scare me. By the way, everyone here is a guy.”

Dazai frowned and looked around.

Talent is everything in a world of magic. There’s no difference between gender. Your capability is everything.

Even so, all of the people in uniform are boys.

“This is a boys’ school. No girls here.”

Mishima said plainly. He walked to a small demon statue next to the stone slab road.

The statue started moving when he inserted a letter from his pocket.

“Hey, watch out!”

Dazai already took a step back before he even finished his sentence.

The moving statue swallowed the letter and rose to the sky with its stone wings.

“Alright, we’ll wait for the guide here.”

Mishima shook his hands casually as he turned around and looked at Dazai again. He’s freaking out. Drum-like beast screams can be heard from afar. Dazai looked in that direction sheepishly.

“Wait, you were just joking about feeding me to the dragons, right?”

“Unfortunately, I still haven’t encountered someone who deserves to be eaten yet. Don’t panic. It’s okay if you don’t get any bad ideas.”

Mishima said that half-jokingly. Dazai nodded in silence.


The student council room is on the top floor of the academy.

Two male students are looking outside over the vast window.

The student council president, Hibari Hokobaru. He’s handsome and tall. His crystal-clear pupils are described with utter brutality in rumors.

Also, no one can remain composed after witnessing his- sheer cold beauty.

“Are those new teachers? Their outfits are pretty weird. Where did they get reincarnated from?”

Hokobaru asked the man next to him.

“Both are from…Japan. …Showa Era.”

The person mumbling the answer out is the student council secretary, Yumeji Shikiya.

He titled his head. His curled bangs are gently resting on his forehead.

“Japan again? Showa, what a strange era.”

The two reincarnated appeared over the window.

The man with a single-edged sword wears the same clothing as them.

The other person is wearing some front-opening clothing fastened with a belt. It reminds him of people from a different race in the east.

Looking at those two, he felt- the man from the east looked over here worriedly.

No, that’s absolutely impossible. The student council room has been sealed with blocking magic. No one can enter it or observe the situation from outside. His heart has been in a state of constant fear ever since that man played with him that day.

Prez smiled bitterly. As for Shikiya, he held Prez’s hand with his cold, slim fingers.

“...No, we have to greet the teachers first. I have already taught you the academy's rules with my body, right?”

He’s used to his flirting. However, Hokobaru suddenly couldn’t laugh anymore. His body is frozen.

The spell appearing in Shikiya’s white pupils is- <Bondage>. Hokobaru’s smile froze.

“S-Shikiya, …what are you planning to do…?”

Shikiya remained silent. His grip grew more assertive.

Hokobaru managed to shake off his hand, yet he couldn’t avoid those white pupils-

He heard someone clapping from the other side of the room.

“As expected of the president, I can’t believe you can still move under Shikiya-senpai’s spell.”

“This voice, it’s Nukumizu…?”

The blocking magic affecting this room is one of the Twelve Complete Magic in the academy. A spell that allows someone to sneak in here doesn’t exist. The only possible scenario is- internal permission.

“A welcome party for the new teachers? Please allow me to participate as well.”

Nukumizu stepped through the thick pile carpet silently. He hugged Hokobaru’s waist.

“Nukumizu, you! What are you trying to do after taking away my freedom with such an underhanded method-”

“My my, Shikiya-senpai’s spell should have ended already. Prez allowed me to hug you willingly. Just like that day.”

“You forced me into it that day!”

Nukumizu put his hand on Hokobaru’s chin and forced him to raise his head.

“Ahh, Prez, …your face. Please allow me to see your face more.”

Shikiya snapped his finger while standing behind him.

The walls suddenly started trembling. Rose vines reached out to tangle up Prez’s limbs.

“Huh!? Shikiya, you!?”

“Please don’t blame senpai. He wants to see the same view as Prez. I’m just fulfilling his tiny wish.”

Facing the trapped Hokobaru, Shikiya-san approached him until their lips almost touched.

“Prez, …I’m with you as well, …so…”

The rose vine bit Hokobaru’s body as he struggled. A moan came out of his mouth.

“Hmph! Nukumizu, don’t think I’ll let you get away with this easily!”

“You say that, but you’re looking forward to it, right? I don’t think you’re trembling out of fear.”

He reached his hand out to Hokobaru’s chest and tore off the buttons on his shirt rudely.

A tinge of violence appeared on Nukumizu’s face.

The students-only welcoming party (banquet) is getting a head start-



Epilogue: A Hidden Secret


It’s been two days since the start of the winter holiday.

The Christmas vibe has faded away. The streets didn’t take a break and started preparing for the new year.

I left the elevator. The sunlight coming in from the expansive windows made me squint my eyes.

The top floor of the eastern section of Toyohashi City Hall. This place is designed to be an observation deck. Everyone is free to enter.

As for why I’m here- it’s because Yanami called me over.


The location for the Christmas party after the closing ceremony is in that karaoke store.

I opened the door to the room while shivering. It was precisely when the previous song ended. Everyone in the room looked at me. I was going to close the door immediately, but Yanami caught me.

“That was hellish…”

Forget about the normies in our class. For some reason, extroverts from the other classes are cheering along too. I was just thrown into the pit of fire.

I only remembered counting the bubbles in my cola at the time. Yanami was shoving potato chips into her mouth next to me emotionlessly.

And then I forgot what happened.

…Why did Yanami call me out today after I’ve spent such a terrible Christmas?

My guess is based on the metabolic syndrome poster at the lobby entrance. It must have something to do with this. I feel like Yanami seems a little more chubby lately-

Then, I stopped stepping toward the observation window.

The massive window clearly shows the sunny sky.

A young woman in a coat is wobbling around as if she’s dancing to a rhythm.

Even though I can’t hear from such a distance, she must be humming a song.


-What a cute girl.


However, I regretted it from the bottom of my heart after thinking about that.

The bottom of the girl’s coat moved around. She turned toward me. It’s Yanami.

…I messed up because her coat was different from the one she had in the karaoke room. That praise doesn’t count.

I convinced myself and spoke up.

“Thanks for waiting, Yanami-san.”

“Ah, Nukumizu-kun. Thanks for coming here.”

With that, she turned around. Her face carries an unexpected helpless smile.

She looks pretty sick. What’s going on? Is her liver having issues?

“Yanami-san, how come I feel you don’t seem well?”

“I still haven’t completely recovered from the Christmas party’s damage…”

Yanami dropped her shoulders.

“Eh, but you were just-”

“Do you get me? I couldn’t sleep well yesterday and roll out of my pillow. My neck hurts if I just laze around.”

Yanami pressed her neck with her palm. It made some weird creaking noises.

Uh, …give me back my unconscious praise.

Come to think of it, it’s hard to blame her. That Christmas party is a real trauma.

Luckily, I overwrote that memory by staying up all night and watching <Documentary of the 15 Years Old Onii-sama> with Kaju. I barely recovered from the nightmare.

“By the way, I saw Yanami-san sighing depressingly after I arrived. What happened? Did Himemiya-san and Hakamada announce their marriage?”

“How come Nukumizu-kun is rubbing salt on my wound upon seeing me…?”

The earlier you die, the earlier you see nirvana, girl.

Yanami frowned and recoiled her shoulders.

“That’s impossible. Those two remain the same. They are mean, but I’m kind of used to it.”

“Then you didn’t need to call me over, right? Don’t you still have your friends?”

Yanami’s face turned dark again. She stared at me and spoke up.

“...Nukumizu-kun, you have been hanging out with Shikiya-senpai lately, right? I saw you flirting with those two from the student council after the closing ceremony.”

We weren’t flirting. If that counts, I won’t fall in love for the rest of my life.

“You know why I’m with them, right?”

“But everyone else doesn’t. People are spreading weird rumors about me because of that, you know?”

What do the student council and I have to do with Yanami…?

“...What kind of rumor?”

Yanami shook her head slowly. She squeezed the following sentence out.


“They say it seems I’m rejected- by you, Nukumizu-kun.”

…Huh? I rejected Yanami?

I was speechless. Yanami frowned and glared at me.

“Don’t you think this is strange!? If anything, I should be the one to reject you, okay!?”

“No, I wasn’t rejected. Also, remember not just to deny such rumors fervently.”

Yanami ignored my calm answer and approached me.

“It’s precisely because Nukumizu-kun has been playing around with the student council people, right!? That incident in the gymnasium is literally hell to me!”

I feel like I’m in hell right now. She had already forced me into the glass window in the observation deck.

Without losing her momentum, Yanami took out her hand. She’s about to poke my face.

“...Confess to me, Nukumizu-kun.”

“Ha?”

I was pressed against the wall like a kabedon. Yanami got her face real close.

“And then I’ll reject Nukumizu-kun! That will solve everything, right?”

I don’t think it will.

“Calm down, Yanami-san. I really didn’t do anything to the people in the student council. Everyone will forget about the rumor if you act normally.”

“Then what about everything I have suffered? Nukumizu-kun, can’t you be considerate to me!?”

Can’t you be considerate to me as well?

I took out snacks from my pocket to please Yanami.

“Calm down, Yanami-san. Here. It’s the mini yokan from Sugimotoya. You like it, right?”

“...It’s matcha flavored.”

She doesn’t like it.

Yanami tore the package and took a bite.

“Ah, but I think matcha is good too. Please bring Toraya yokan next time.”

Are her organs getting energy from the increased blood sugar level? She seems happier now.

I started changing the topic after seeing Yanami’s emotions cool down.

“Aren’t you here for a body check? Go to the reception desk.”

“Huh? What are you talking about? It’s this one.”

Yanami took out two tickets from her bag.

These are- the free lunch tickets from Tsukinoki-senpai.

The store is located on the 13th floor of the city hall, which is here.

“Nukumizu-kun, it was your birthday, right? I wanted to treat you to a meal or something.”

But this ticket is the reward for completing this mission, right…?

I’m not too satisfied. Yanami took out a thin, long box.

“Then, this is the surprise I have for you.”

… Surprise? I opened the box. There’s a blue ballpoint pen inside.

“Are you really giving me this? It looks expensive.”

Yanami curled the tip of her hair and looked outside the window as she spoke.

“Nukumizu-kun, the pen you have been using is in miserable shape, right? I chose this one because you can engrave your name on it- but that’s why I didn’t manage to give it to you on your birthday.”

I see. Also, I don’t think the pen I’m using is that bad.

Yanami raised her head and looked at me worriedly.

“...Do you not like it?”

“No, it’s cool. I was looking at it. My name is on it, right?”

I took the pen out of the box. This should be Yanami’s first time seeing the product too. Then, I looked down at the palm.

Let me see. There are some English letters at the tip of the pen-


The golden artistic letters form a name, Anna Yanami.


…Huh? Why is it Yanami’s name?

“Huh!? I messed up!”

Yanami quickly took the ballpoint pen from me.

“Hey, hold on, Yanami-san.”

“Sorry, let’s just say nothing happened! I’ll deal with this properly! I’ll gift you a new one whenever I have the chance, hmm?”

“I’ll feel horrible if you have to buy a new one after I have received one. Alright, let’s just get rid of the useless name with nail polish.”

“...Ha? Useless?”

Why is she mad?

“Then I’ll give it back to you after changing the name! Alright, let’s eat! No food will be left if we don’t hurry, alright?”

Yanami pushed me and forced me toward the restaurant.

Sigh, …I still didn’t get the pen in the end. Did Yanami give me the one she bought for herself? That’s impossible. Why would she choose the same ballpoint pen as I do?

Alright, Yanami is the same as usual. No point in thinking about it.

I sighed for the last time this year. Then, I saw Yanami glaring at my neck furiously.

“...What is it?”

“Nukumizu-kun, you have worn this type of scarf in school? Eh, did you wear that in the closing ceremony?”

Yanami tilted her head and pondered about it. As for me, I subconsciously gave a casual reply.

“I’ve worn it when it was cold before. I just don’t bring it to school.”

Yanami nodded emotionlessly and went past the restaurant’s automatic door.

I slipped through the door, following her. I’m still incredibly shocked by what I just said.


-I lied to Yanami.


It was a miniscule and trivial lie.

There’s no reason to hide it. Nothing will change if I say it.

However, I just wanted to do that for some reason.


And then I stopped.

Yanami suddenly turned around and stared at me.

“Eh, what’s wrong, Yanami-san…?”

Yanami didn’t answer. She smiled faintly.

After that, she reached her hand out and grabbed my scarf. She strangled my neck with considerable strength.


“Nukumizu-kun, don’t get a headstart before me, alright?”



[TL: This is the end of Vol.4. Based on previous release dates, the earliest time Vol.5 will be out is in March. Unfortunately, I’ll probably be very busy since it will be my final semester before graduation. I don’t know whether I’ll have the time and energy to continue this series at that time, but we’ll see.

There are some special chapters left. I’ll translate those while continuing my manga scanlations. See you.]


Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment