Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Too Many Losing Heroines! V3 Chapter 4 & Epilogue

Chapter 4: Let's Talk About Accountability

Translator: Pingas


It’s been 3 days since Tsuwabuki Fest ended.

The aftertaste of the festival has disappeared completely as well. You can get a subtle feel of winter after school.

Right now, I’m facing Komari in the club room.

“Well, Komari. Let’s try it from the start one more time, alright?”

Komari nodded and started reading from the notes on her phone.

“I-I-I! I-I’m the p-president of the Literature Club, …K-Komari!”

She finally finished reading it. Komari wiped the sweat off her forehead and showed a cheerful smile.

“I-I finally managed to s-say it properly!”

Does this count as saying it properly…?

I swallowed what I was about to say back down.

In situations like this, accumulating small successful experiences is essential.

“Yeah, I can feel that you’re getting better. I guess you’ll be fine at the president’s meeting this weekend, right?”

I said that irresponsibly before sitting on a chair and opening my book.

“B-But I-I’m still not c-confident enough to s-speak when others are l-looking.”

Is she not satisfied? Komari mumbled quietly. I closed the book after shoving a bookmark in it.

…Komari has been practicing her self-introduction for the president’s meeting this weekend.

Unfortunately, this week is also the Literature Club’s turn for an activity report.

“I can go in your place if you don’t want to.”

“Y-You can’t!”

Komari lowered her head. It’s like she was surprised by how loud her voice was.

“I-I have to go, so…”

Komari repeatedly quietly before dropping herself on the chair.

…Objectively, Komari is extremely bad at talking to an unfamiliar person.

Also, the presidents there will mostly be second-year students. I don’t think Komari can speak normally around a bunch of older, unfamiliar students.

“Then, at least let me do the activity report.”

“T-This will be meaningless if you do that.”

We repeated the same conversation several times.

Accepting the position equals preparing yourself to be on the stage, right? However-

“The meeting will be in this weekend. It’s fine for me to go in your place for once, right?”

With a stiff face, Komari attempted to retort. Then, at that moment, the club room’s door was slammed open.

“-Stop fighting, you two. I’ve heard everything.”

Yanami appeared. She sat on the chair after putting her school bag on the table.

“Yanami-san, did you hear everything?”

“Oh, sorry. I just said that because the mood felt like it. What were you two talking about?”

Ah, sheesh, stop causing more trouble.

I quickly explained what had happened.

“Hmm, practice then.”

Straightforward.

“We are practicing. But social anxiety can’t be cured suddenly. That’s what I want to go-”

“This is why I don’t like this part of you, Nukumizu-kun.”

Yanami shrugged dumbfoundedly.

“The new president is already trying so hard. Why are you saying that? Right, Komari-chan?”

Komari repeatedly nodded as if she deeply understood.

‘F-Forgive him. N-Nukumizu is a man of t-this level, after all.”

When did these girls get so close?

Yanami leaned toward Komari.

“Well, let’s practice in front of other people. We’ll train you until you’re used to it. How about Toyohashi Station in the evening?”

You think this is Sparta or what?

“I-If we can find a place that no one can see.”

Komari rivaled Yanami by saying comparably utter nonsense as well. During this time, Yanami clapped her hands.

“We have a day off tomorrow because of Tsuwabuki Fest, right? I have an idea. How about the three of us go out together?”

“I-Idea…?”

Komari grew cautious. She curled her back like a hamster.

“Hmm, even though I haven’t figured out the details yet, leave it to me.”

Yanami said that quickly and started humming. She’s on her phone now.

Eh, …although I’m not really interested, I don’t think I can sit this one out.

It’s a rare day off, after all. This is such a pain, but I guess it can’t be helped if it’s for the Literature Club.

“Uh, if Komari looks so excited, then…”

Ah, Komari is glaring at me with a very, very disgusted expression. She’s staring daggers at me.

In other words, she doesn’t want to go, right? However, Yanami is very troublesome at times like this…

“Oh, the weather will be nice too. Well, you two, make yourselves free tomorrow morning.”

“Ah, sure. Got it.”

I decided to obey her.

…So, please stop glaring at me like this, Komari.

*

Herds of clouds can be seen in the blue sky upon raising your head.

Yanami, Komari, and I utilized the day off for Tsuwabuki Fest. We’re at Toyohashi City Zoo and Botanical Park.

According to Yanami’s “idea”, getting used to people means starting with animals. Her plan is for Komari to practice reading to animals first.

After going around the zoo, we’re at the feeding area.

A herd of sheep is stocking around. This place is filled with realism. I can really feel myself belonging in this place.

The sheep leisurely ate the hay I handed over. Everything is so real.

“Oh, Nukumizu-kun. The sheep like you.”

Yanami kept her distance from the herd as she took photo after photo.

“This is just because I’m feeding them. Look, that’s what we call being brutally loved by animals.”

I pointed at Komari. Sheep are surrounding her.

Also, there’s no way for her to break out of the encirclement.

“Nukumizu-kun, aren’t you going to help her?”

“These sheep are huge. I get nervous from watching them. Also, their pitch-black pupils are rectangular.”

“Well, it’s a zoo, after all.”

Yanami slowly approached a sheep and buried her hand into the fur.

“Uwah, sheep fur feels warm.”

“Hey, does this still count as practicing? I feel like we’re just here to have fun.”

We were watching a family of elephants and red pandas standing up. No training was done at all.

Ignoring my worries, Yanami chuckled refreshingly.

“Komari-chan has been very nervous, right? Isn’t it nice to change the mood and go to another place?”

“I think staying home is a better option for her.”

“Being alone makes you overthink when troubled. Komari-chan is a sensitive girl like I do.”

A sensitive girl. …Is she trying to make me diss her on purpose?

The herd went to Komari’s side when I hesitated.

“Komari-chan will be fine, right? The sheep won’t squeeze her into a corner, right?”

“Komari said she wanted to touch cute little animals. That’s why we brought her to the feeding area. We shouldn’t bother her.”

I snapped out of it. All of the sheep have gathered around Komari.

Komari raised her hand and attempted to escape from the herd fighting over food.

-This is a terrible reaction. The herd will only be more intense if you don’t feed them quickly.

“Little animals. …Doesn’t Komari-chan want to touch things like rabbits and guinea pigs? There’s a feeding area for rabbits nearby.”

Oh, there is? I looked at the map again. Indeed, the rabbit feeding area is right next to us.

…I see. I messed up.

After looking up from the map, Komari is about to be swallowed by the sea of fluffy sheep.

This girl’s moans are as adorable as always. I thought about that as I promptly headed there to save Komari.

*

Komari’s mood didn’t improve even after I saved her from the herd of sheep.

“Y-You cold-hearted guy. Y-You just left me to die there…

“I can’t help it. Their dark eyes are rectangular, you know?”

Also, I was the one who saved you in the end. You should appreciate me.

Well, but today is a reward for Komari, I guess. We comforted her as we observed cute animals. Her mood gradually turned better.

Yanami walked between Komari and me as she opened the map.

“Seeing sun bears really makes me excited and nervous, you know? Well, where are we going next?”

We have conquered the ostrich zone and the small-clawed otter zone. Hmm, the only one left is-

“How about the nocturnal zone? Forest dormice are cute, hmm?”

“W-We have to check out anteaters there. Y-You’re so tasteless.”

Yeah, my hobbies don’t match this girl at all.

Yanami swayed her fingers before me chicly. “Tch, tch.”

“Nukumizu-kun, ladies go first in this case. Komari-chan, where do you actually want to go?”

“Eh? F-For me, …I want to go to the b-botanical park.”

Yanami tilted her head confusedly.

“The botanical park? But you can’t eat any fruit there, you know? Are you sure it’s fine?”

It’s fine.

Komari and I nodded silently yet forcefully.

*

The botanical section is located at the northwestern corner of the park.

Komari looked around as we strolled on the outdoor promenade.

“B-By the way, where did Yanami go?”

“Yanami said she’s getting snacks to lose weight.”

“Heh? W-What does that mean?”

“Eating more means going thinner for her. Don’t worry about her reasoning behind it.”

“A-Ah, …I-I see.”

That’s right. I’m so glad that you understand.

I raised my head. A Japanese tit is flying around in the forest.

“I don’t really come here since I used to visit the greenhouses in the past, but this feels peaceful.”

“I-I like here more too. The botanical park is tranquil outside.”

It’s November. The warm sunlight is pleasing.

Komari is stepping on the stone stairs. She’s secretly making rhythms with her feet.

“Camellias are blossoming? Aren’t those supposed to blossom during winter?”

“Those are sasanqua.”

Eh, are they different flowers? Komari looked at me dumbfoundedly.

“T-Totally different. L-Look at the shape of the leaves and the structure of the pedals.”

I don’t get it at all. I’m pretty confident in identifying hamsters, though…

We continued walking dazedly along the promenade decorated with autumn roses. Komari suddenly stopped.

“H-Hey, …c-can you practice with me for a bit?”

“Here?”

“Y-Yeah, …I-I want to raise the difficulty a little since we are always in the club room.”

Komari pointed at a bench next to the tree roots.

She’s right. The botanical park isn’t a crowded place. It’s okay for her to practice here.

I promptly sat down. Komari took out a piece of crumbled paper from her pocket.

“W-Well, I-I’ll start.”

Komari stood before me and coughed.

“I-I’m the n-new president of the L-Literature Club, C-Chika Komari. N-Nice to meet you!”

She’s running out of breath at the end there.

“H-How did I do…?”

“Eh? Yeah, it’s much better than before.”

“I-I see.”

Komari is overjoyed. She sat on the other side of the bench.

“I-I’ll take a short break.”

…Indeed, it’s much better than before. While that’s good-

“Komari can speak normally to Yanami-san and me, right? How come you start stuttering during practice?”

“I-It’s because there will be a lot of p-people I don’t know. I-I’m about to faint just from imagining it….”

Komari held the paper tightly. She quickly snapped out of it and tried to smoothen the wrinkles.

“T-There’s also the activity report. S-So, I have to keep it up.”

Komari started reading from the draft in her hand quietly.

…Next to her, I looked at the leaves above my head.

Peeking from the foliage, the sky above is endless with thin pieces of clouds. Summer has passed without a trace.

The third-year senpais have departed. They left four first-year kouhais in the club.

Even though this still doesn’t feel realistic, honestly, I’m anxious.

-Sha. The tree branches are shaking in the wind.

Birds are gently chirping as if they are answering Komari’s voice.

The atmosphere is unusually tranquil. I saw Komari’s struggling side profile.

Come to think of it, this is the only expression Komari has displayed recently.

The senpais entrusted the Literature Club to Komari.

Then, they entrusted the responsibility of supporting Komari to me. Yet, I wasn’t able to do anything until Komari fainted.

-Komari tiptoed and reached her hand out in the evening classroom.

That image blew across my brain for some reason.

Komari has always been alone in my memory.

Even though she knows she can’t reach it, she’s still trying her best to reach her hand out.

“...Alright, please let me do the activity report, okay?”

I said it.

Komari raised her head tremblingly.

“I-I told you I w-would do it…”

“The meeting is the day after tomorrow, right?”

Frustration mounted.

But this isn’t because of Komari, instead-

“I-I know, b-but…”

“This won’t work out in the end. I’m not good at doing things like this either, but can’t you let me do something for you?”

Komari hesitated to speak up. I continued before she could.

“The activity report is just reading from the draft. Don’t push yourself. Leave it to me-”

At this point, I finally realized I had made a mistake.

Komari’s eyes turned gloomy.

“P-Pushing yourself, …w-why do you always say things l-like that?”

Komari glared at the paper. She tried her best to muster her voice.

“No, that’s not what I meant…”

“I-I know this is easy for Nukumizu, b-but I’ve been trying my best to practice j-just to say it bit by bit.”

Her petite body is shivering.

“I’m not rejecting everything Komari has ever done. I know Komari has been working hard to become a proper president too, but at least let me-”

“I-I don’t want to be the president at all!”

Komari sprung up.

“I-I’ve always been calling Tamaki-senpai as Prez. E-Even though I did everything I could to let them become memories. B-But, r-right now, m-my brain feels dizzy whenever people call me Prez…”

Komari’s tears fell next to her legs.

I get the hallucination that Komari’s body is slowly growing smaller and smaller with every drop of tears.

“...Komari. We can discuss this with everyone if you think being the president is too much of a burden.”

“I-I’m the only one who can do it, right!?”

She cried.

I was speechless after hearing her heartbreaking voice.

Her shoulders are trembling. Komari took several deep breaths before turning around and leaving.

I stood up and tried to follow her. Komari yelled without turning her back.

“D-Don’t follow me!”

Her clear rejection petrified my legs.

I stood still until Komari disappeared before me.

“Thanks for the wait. You’re here, Nukumizu-kun.”

The usual cheerful voice pulled me back to reality.

I looked at Yanami’s face as if I had just woken up.

“Yanami-san. A-Actually…”

“Eh, where did Komari-chan go?”

Yanami looked around with fritters in her hand.

“...Sorry, I messed up.”

I collapsed onto the bench helplessly and lowered my head.

Yanami gave me a confused look and sat next to me.

“It looks like a big deal.”

Yanami chewed her fritters as she looked up to the sky. Her eyes squinted.

“No, well, …sorry, I…”

“You don’t have to say it, you know? Is there anything I can do?”

I just shook my head silently.

Yanami mumbled, “I see.” She took another bite.


…I wonder how much time has passed.

I slowly opened my eyes to escape from my abyssal thoughts.

The sky is still bright. The sunlight permeates through the peaceful forest.

Yanami must have left, right?

I looked next to me with that in mind. Yanami is still sitting on the bench silently.

She noticed me looking at her. Her usual smile appeared.

For some reason, my eyes seem a bit moist.

*

It’s the day after we visited the zoo and botanical park.

The class ended successfully. It’s assembly time.

Amanatsu-sensei wiped the chalk dust from her hands as she yelled.

“Alright, that’s all. Look at sensei. I can’t go back without working late. You guys need to treasure the after-school freedom you have. Alright, disbanded!”

The classmates chatted as they left in groups.

I remained in my seat as I pondered.

Going to the club room with what happened yesterday will be awkward. Even so, burying my head in the sand solves nothing.

I’m trapped in an endless maze of thoughts. Suddenly, a flower-like scent surrounds me.

A familiar BGM played in my head.

“Nukumizu-kun, you seem to be troubled?”

It’s Karen Himemiya. I didn’t expect her to talk to me.

She’s as glamorous as usual. My eyes squinted upon seeing such dazzling lights.

“Eh, …what…?”

“It’s okay even if you don’t tell me. Let your friend Karen Himemiya make a guess, alright?”

Himemiya-san put her finger on her forehead and pretended to be thinking.

“Well, it’s nothing.”

After that, Himemiya-san’s big eyes sparkled and pointed at me.

“Tada, I bet you’re hungry!”

“No, I’m not…”

“Huh? I’m always right whenever it’s Anna.”

Being lumped with Yanami, this is one of the darkest moments in my life.

“Hmm, …Himemiya-san, is something the matter?”

She bent down and put her elbows on my table.

“I’m searching for the common points between Nukumizu-kun and Anna. Why did the two of you become friends?”

At this time, Yanami is nowhere to be seen in the classroom.

Why did Himemiya-san ask me such a question? Honestly, I don’t feel like dealing with her right now…

I tried to think of a respectable way to answer her.

“That’s probably because we’re both in the Literature Club, right?”

“Really? But I can sense that you and Anna already know each other before she has even joined the Literature Club, you know?”

Himemiya-san leaned her body on the table. She looked up to me.

“I’ll go ahead and say this is just my opinion. I can feel that girl’s emotions are connected with yours.”

I think people will misunderstand what she just said.

“It’s just a coincidence. Also, why do you care about that?”

“Anna seems a bit strange today. I definitely want to know the reason if something is on my dear friend’s mind, right?”

Yanami’s strangeness must be because she’s worried about what happened yesterday, right?

Also, now I knew the dear friend setting wasn’t just Yanami’s fantasy…

“Anna’s novel in the club magazine is about you as well, right?”

“Eh, what does that mean?”

How come our conversation is suddenly taking off at jet speed?

How does Yanami’s eating-at-convenience-store novel relate to me in any way?

“All of the characters in her novel are classmates, you know? Anna must be writing those I-novels, right?”

“That’s from a first-person perspective, but it has nothing to do with reality.”

“Really?”

If it’s really like what Himemiya-san mentioned, if that I-novel is really the author’s personal experience, then I should be a very popular guy. [TL: I’ve added an explanation below if you’re confused about this part.]

…At least I won’t hurt my club partner and get kicked out of the scene.

I hesitated to come out with an explanation. Then-

“Thanks for waiting, Karen-chan.”

Yanami appeared. She looks as relaxed as usual. Himemiya-san chuckled and stood up.

“I’ve waited so long, you know. I’m about to become a ghost if I wait any longer.”

“Sorry, sorry. …By the way, Nukumizu-kun, aren’t you going to the Literature Club today?”

“Well…”

Yanami looked at me seriously when I remained silent.

“Sorry, Karen-chan. You should go shopping with Sosuke alone today.”

Himemiya-san looks surprised. She looked at Yanami and me.

“I can wait until Nukumizu-kun and you are finished if there’s something between you two, okay?”

“We’ll be fine. Relax. It’s just that it may take longer.”

“Sure. Well, see you tomorrow.”

Himemiya-san and Yanami high-fived. She then winked at me before leaving the classroom.

…I feel like the progress seems a bit lackluster.

Yanami put her hands on her waist while I silently observed all this. She spoke up.

“Nukumizu-kun, can you come with me?”

*

Literature Club Report - Autumn Edition

<I Told You I Won’t Give Up> by Anna Yanami


I’m a bit different this morning. I’ve formulated the perfect plan to say “good morning” to him.

I headed out home slightly earlier. On my way to school, I got a good position in the 7-Eleven convenience store’s eating corner. I’m trying to order more snacks at the cashier. If I choose a hotdog, he will leave before the staff member can finish heating it.

That’s why my conclusion is to buy riceball takoyaki.

Riceball takoyaki can be immediately consumed right after purchase. This way, I can immediately chase after him upon sight.

The roasted takoyaki with salty and sweet sauce and mayo is absolutely perfect. It tastes as good without heating.

Also, the milk foam of the hot latte I ordered tastes very good too. I’ve been completely attracted to it recently.

Someone seemed to have lined up behind me while I was listening to the coffee machine grinding the beans.

“Eh, Ako-san? I didn’t know you would drink something other than sweetened juice.”

The person who talks to me is my classmate XX-kun.

His mouth is ass. He always says things that piss me off.

He’s holding a cup of iced coffee. Poor guy. He probably still doesn’t know how good a latte is, right?

I ignored XX-kun and looked outside the window.

I jolted. “He” and his friends are already waiting for the traffic lights at the crossroad.

I was utterly unaware because I thought I would be safe by heading out earlier.

I hastily tried to open the coffee machine’s lid, yet I couldn’t. It was automatically locked for safety purposes.

I could only stomp my feet around as I waited anxiously. At this time, I heard a “dododo” sound. The latte is finally ready.

Open the lid, pour the coffee, and close the lid. Done.

The traffic lights at the crossroad coincidentally turned green. I can still probably catch up if I’m quick.

I hastily dashed out of the automatic doors, but then I quickly headed back inside.

Indeed, I just remembered that I needed to add sugar.

During this time, XX-kun threw a pack of something at me. I caught it mid-air. It’s sugar. He must have noticed that I forgot to put it in, right?

However, I still returned to the eating corner like this.

“Ako-san, don’t you need sugar?”

I didn’t say anything and continued opening the coffee cup’s lid.

XX-kun, you won’t understand, anyway.

My principle is to put two packs of sugar in my latte…

[TL: Nukumizu and Himemiya’s conversation is a bit confusing. Nukumizu has read the Summer Edition of Yanami’s novel. He thinks the MC is the guy with his friends. Meanwhile, Himemiya has read the Autumn Edition. She thinks the MC is XX-kun, who’s based on Nukumizu. That’s why when Himemiya says it’s about Nukumizu. He thinks he can’t be the popular guy in the novel, so he doesn’t think Yanami’s writing an I-novel. If you have no idea what I’m talking about here, read Vol.2 Epilogue first.]

*

The fried udon put before me is steaming.

Yanami and I are sitting next to each other on the counter seat. We are in an udon shop near the school.

“Why are we ordering fried udon here…?”

I thought she would scold me when she asked me to come with her. In the end, she brought me to an udon shop.

My question is justified, yet Yanami’s answer is, “Let’s eat.”

“Ah, yes, let’s eat.”

“Before enjoying our meals, I actually have something important that I want to tell Nukumizu-kun.”

Yanami stabbed the chopsticks into the plate and pinched the noodles with bold manners.

“You know, I’ve lost two kilograms in these two months.

“Ha, you’re lying, right?”

The faster I complain, the better.

Yanami opened her mouth and glared at me.

“I’ve dropped two of the three kilograms I’ve picked up during the summer, okay? Isn’t this amazing?”

She still grew fatter in the end.

“Even though it’s incredible, how come you managed to lose weight with that eating habit of yours? Should you go to the hospital?”

“It’s because I’ve been paying much attention to my meals. I don’t ask for extra rice or bigger bowls. Right now, I’m living a life of temperance with that in my mind, you know?”

After that, she started slurping the noodles with wild manners.

If she can lose weight with a method like this, how much did she eat at this point…?

We just ate udon silently for a while after that. Yanami put down her chopsticks halfway through.

“Well, did you talk to Komari-chan after that?”

“...No.”

I’m prepared to be scolded. Yet, Yanami just said ”hmm” gently and took a sip of water.

“Nothing at all?”

“Nothing at all. Also, you’re here to scold me, right?”

I couldn’t continue for the time being. Yanami slammed her cup down.

“Wanting to feel lighter after being scolded, you can’t be like this, Nukumizu-kun.”

“...Maybe.”

She has finally brought this up. I shoved some fried udon into my mouth.

“The Nukumizu-kun I know always likes taking the worst of the lot. You should just face this in your own way.”

I don’t take them because I like them.

“I said something very mean to Komari yesterday. I’ve been reflecting on myself too.”

“Ah, then that’s Nukumizu-kun’s fault. You don’t understand a girl’s heart at all.”

Yanami picked up her chopsticks again.

“You can’t just keep talking on your own, right? Have you properly chatted with Komari-chan?”

“Properly chatted…”

I stopped my hand from reaching the glass.

I was just pushing my thoughts onto Komari.

How much do I understand Komari’s feelings?

“Sending your thoughts alone doesn’t count as a conversation. You have to lead out that person’s feelings and words too.”

“Feelings and words…”

That’s something I’m not good at. In this web of interpersonal relationships where everyone is constantly putting up an act, I’ve hurt Komari.

I pretended I didn’t see what I did with “reflecting on myself” as an excuse. I’m such a coward.

My train of thought is taking me away again. Yanami’s smile dragged me back to reality.

“Well, no use in overthinking it. You should just chill and follow your heart.”

“Look at where I ended up when I followed my so-called heart.”

“This is just one of your lowest points in life. Leave it to me if you want to know how to climb back up, okay?”

Leave it to Yanami…? But isn’t this girl still at her lowest point, …I guess?

Even so, people say that every cloud always has a silver lining.

“With the rare opportunity, please tell me, alright?”

“She hates you, right? Let’s figure out Komari-chan’s feelings first and have a proper chat with her. Finally, as usual, you can just stick your nose into her business.”

“I may think things even worse if I do that.”

Yanami’s plate is empty. She smiled. There’s still skipjack powder on her lips.

“Don’t worry about it. Just go. I’ll deal with the aftermath.”

…She’s saying that like I won’t come back.

I decided to slurp the remaining fried udon ravenously with a momentum comparable to that of Yanami.

*

I looked outside the window dazedly at the train.

What Yanami said was right.

I stopped my helping hand midway and even tried to take it back due to unsuccessful progress.

I’ve never considered the person’s feelings. I always only realize my mistakes after hurting them.


The street is growing darker and darker. Drops of water begin spreading throughout the glass pane.

At the next moment, the street is covered by the sudden rainfall.

I didn’t have an umbrella. Should I run back from the station to my house, get soaked, or just walk and get wet?

“I’m getting wet, anyway. I should just walk…”

I made up my mind as I exited the train. However, the rain seems to be impatient. It’s getting worse.

I thought about running back for a split second. Then, an umbrella appeared above my head.

I stopped in surprise. Kaju appeared with a smile.

For some reason, I wanted to avoid her bright eyes. I looked away.

“Are you here for me?”

“Yes, Kaju was worried.”

I took the umbrella she handed to me.

“Eh, there’s only one?”

“Well, Kaju forgot to take mine since I was in a rush.”

Kaju knocked her head. She’s careless as usual.

We siblings cuddled as we walked home under the same umbrella.

“How did you know which train I was on?”

“Hehe, it’s the power of love.”

I ignored Kaju’s joke. Instead, I just looked at the blurry rainy scenes.

A group of middle school girls forgot their umbrellas. They ran past us while screaming cheerfully.

My eyes subconsciously chased after them. During this time, Kaju put both hands on my cheeks and forced me to turn to her.

“Onii-sama, what happened yesterday?”

“Eh, …that’s sudden.”

“You seem absent-minded ever since you have come back. Kaju is very worried about you.”

Even though I had already attempted to conceal my emotions, Kaju still picked it up and got worried.

“It’s because I angered an acquaintance…”

…No, that’s not it. The correct answer should be I’ve hurt her.

I’m still trying to make excuses even at this moment. Guilt and regret are drowning me.

I continued walking without saying a single word. Kaju slightly picked up the pace and walked next to me.

I subconsciously walked faster. Then, I snapped out of it and quickly slowed down. Kaju started chuckling.

“Onii-sama loves Kaju the most, right?”

Eh? That’s unexpected. I couldn’t help but stop.

It’s more like Kaju is more of a brocon, right…?

“Even so, this is just within the limit of siblings, you know?”

“Really? Onii-sama always worried about whether Kaju would fall when Kaju barely knew how to walk. You’ve always been protecting Kaju. For a time, Kaju even thought onii-sama was my father.”

I think Kaju is assigning more importance to this than necessary.

“Right, Kaju was a year old when you started walking, right? How can you remember that?”

“Indeed, all of my memories are fresh as long as it’s related to onii-sama.”

Kaju always guarantees that this is natural.

“It’s the same in the kindergarten. Onii-sama immediately came over whenever Kaju cried.”

“I’m your brother, after all. This is normal, right?”

“Indeed, this is very normal between onii-sama and Kaju.”

Kaju strolled around cheerfully. I reached out my arm with the umbrella and quickly chased after her.

“A lot has happened in elementary school too. Onii-sama had always stayed next to Kaju instead of playing with friends.”

That’s because I don’t have friends.

“You were still worried about Kaju after getting into middle school and taught Kaju many things. Remember that hand-drawn map of the school’s water tap location? Kaju is still keeping it in a plastic film.”

Did I give you something like that?

Black history is causing a tsunami in my head. Kaju quietly grabbed my hand.

“Onii-sama is always worried about Kaju. You sometimes scold Kaju too. However, you have never tried to force your ideals onto Kaju.”

“...It’s because I hope Kaju can always be yourself.”

With that, Kaju chuckled mischievously.

“But Kaju doesn’t mind being stained with onii-sama’s color, you know?”

“Please don’t.”

I couldn’t hold my laughter in.

“Onii-sama is finally laughing.”

Kaju continued with a smile several times more charming than mine.

Come to think of it, I’ve been carrying such a gloomy expression since yesterday. Yanami, she was actually willing to stay with such a depressed guy.

I showed a bitter smile. Kaju looked at me and continued warmly.

“Kaju hopes that onii-sama can always smile. Then, staying next to onii-sama when you’re smiling is Kaju’s wish.”

“Always smile, right? That’s a bit much.”

“It’s because Kaju is very greedy. …Well, what’s onii-sama’s wish then?”

I stopped again upon hearing that question.

Kaju looked at me seriously.

“Onii-sama told Kaju that you want Kaju to be me. Well, as for the person who onii-sama has hurt, what does onii-sama want her to be?”

“That’s…”

The image of Komari’s petite body in the botanical park surfaced in my mind. She had rejected everything around her.

At that time, what I said was definitely correct.

However, at that time, I just chose the quickest shortcut for myself. That’s all.

Perhaps I indeed wanted to change Komari’s thoughts.

That was simply selfishness.

If I’m going to be selfish, what I should really do is-

I looked away and scratched my nose to cover up my embarrassment.

“...Thanks.”

“Did Kaju help onii-sama?”

“Yes, I think I understand what I want to do.”

“Glad to hear that. Kaju hopes things go well between you and her.”

“I’ll do everything I can.”

The rain had stopped before I even knew it.

I put away the umbrella. The bright and elegant moon is visible between the cracking clouds.

“Onii-sama, the moon is beautiful.”

Kaju whispered before running away.

…Ah, come to think of it.

“When did I say she was a girl?”

Kaju stopped. After that, she glanced at me. Her eyes look like she’s throwing a tantrum. Kaju rolled out her tongue cutely.

“It’s a woman’s instinct.”

*

It’s the next day after school.

After Tsuwabuki Fest, the first president’s meeting under the new system is about to start.

Yanami and I watched the passing students in the corridor before the conference room.

Komari still hasn’t shown up yet.

“...Right, I still haven’t talked to Komari.”

Yanami shot me dumbfounded gazes. I looked away.

“There are many chances to talk. It’s like putting a light novel away for a while after buying it.”

“Why would you buy a book you won’t read?”

It’s because I want it.

“Anyway, I’ll talk to Komari if she happens to go by. I’ve brought a box of desserts as well.”

“...Desserts? We aren’t in the working class.”

Really? But Chiebukuro says you should bring sweets when apologizing. [TL: It’s a Q&A website run by Yahoo Japan.]

Yanami gazed at the paper bag in my hand.

“Ah, aren’t these financier cakes? You can’t be helped. Let me keep them for you, okay?”

“Why? Hey, Yanami-san, don’t pull it. It’s not the time to open it yet.”

Is this girl one of those big vicious dogs?

Just as we fought over the paper bag, a pair of white eyes sparkled lazily between us.

“Be quiet…in the corridor…”

“Nya!?”

Yanami and I jolted at Shikiya-san’s sudden appearance.

“Senpai, why are you here…?”

Right, this girl is a student council member. The president’s meeting is the council’s job, after all.

“Sorry, have you seen Komari from our club? She should be attending the meeting.”

“Komari…? That tiny girl…?”

“Yes, she’s still not used to occasions like this. I hope you can help her out if something happens.”

“Help her out…”

For some reason, Shikiya-san glanced toward Yanami and nodded.

“There are…all sorts of…struggles…between…guys and girls…too…”

There aren’t.

Shikiya-san patted my shoulder before wobbling into the conference room.

Did she really understand…? I guess not, right…?

Yanami had remained silent until now. She mumbled.

“That person seems a bit scary.”

You should be less upfront about it. She’s our senpai, after all.

…The starting time is closing in. All the students participating in the meeting are rushing into the conference room.

There’s a petite girl mixed between them. It’s Komari. I dashed before her. Komari freaked out and stopped.

“Komari, can you please wait for a moment?”

“W-What…?”

Komari is hugging a stack of papers before her chest. She looked at me with startled eyes.

“Uh, well, …I want to say sorry for what happened.”

“I-I’m going to the meeting now. L-Leave this later.”

Komari left me behind and charged into the conference room.

“Ho, you’re rejected. Komari-chan is still mad.”

Yanami shrugged as she enjoyed the sweets.

“...Yanami-san, what are you eating? Did you open the dessert box?”

“It’s fine. I just took one.”

“Ah- you can’t just-”

Suddenly, Komari’s scared face flashed in my mind.

What’s the point of giving Komari desserts if she’s afraid?

Did Yanami gobble up the desserts because she wanted to tell me that…?

“Why are you looking at me? Are you about to cry? Do you want me to let you sob in my chest?”

Bits of the cake are still sticking on Yanami’s lips. She took a second one and tilted her head.

…Yep, I’m overthinking.

Our conversation stopped when the door to the conference room closed.

The president’s meeting is starting.

*

It’s been 15 minutes since the start.

I raised my ears at the conference room door and carefully listened to the noises inside.

The student council has finished reporting, and it’s the clubs’ turn. It’s almost time for the Literature Club to speak.

It’s nerve-wracking. Yet, I suddenly heard rustling noises.

Yanami reached her hand into the paper bag with desserts.

“Yanami-san, this is really the last one. I’m being serious, okay?”

“Alright, alright. Don’t talk to me like I’m a foodie.”

Inside the room, the Handball Club has just finished their report.

“Well, the Literature Club is next. Please present your activity report.”

The voice is the vice president of the student council, Teiara Basori.

I slightly pushed the door and peeked inside.

“Hey, lower your head a little more.”

Yanami leaned on my back. She’s hot and heavy.

Ignoring the touch behind me, I turned my attention back to the conference room.

Komari stood up clumsily inside the room. She almost knocked the foldable chair on the ground.

Looking at the notes in her palm, she’s running out of breath with every word she speaks.

“I-I’m K-Komari from the L-Literature C-Club…”

…Nice, do your best. I subconsciously clenched my fists.

She couldn’t continue. Komari started coughing quietly. There are bottles of water on the table. She tried to take and drink one, yet she dropped the cap amidst the haste.

The plastic bottle cap is rolling on the ground at the center of the room. It’s surrounded by a square of tables.

Chika Komari- fell into complete silence. This is bad.

During this time, Shikiya-san snapped out of her dazedness and spoke up.

“Chika Komari…from the Literature Club. …Nice to..meet you…”

Is she trying to bail her out? Komari repeatedly nodded with a pale face.

Vice president Teiara-san glanced at the clock on the wall.

“Well, please continue with the report.”

“Ah, y-yes…!”

Komari hastily grabbed her stack of papers, yet she lost her grip under sheer nervousness.

The papers were scattered across the ground. Komari froze once more.

Teiara-san spoke up again.

“Literature Club, are you okay?”

“Eh, ah, yes, well.”

“Please sit down if you can’t continue with the report.”

Upon hearing that, Komari immediately attempted to pick up the papers.

“No, well, p-please wait…”

“Sorry, time’s running short. Well, the next one is the Broadcast Club-”

…I couldn’t help but close my eyes.

Regrettably, Komari’s challenge failed.

The other participants may find this slightly puzzling. That’s all.

This scene will be swept to the corner of their memories after a few days, possibly even forgotten by everyone-


However, …this isn’t the case for Komari.

I’m afraid this will forever be engraved into Komari as a painful memory.


I opened my eyes. Komari is still standing there quietly.

Yet, I can feel something is about to collapse within the petrified girl.

Of course, this could be just my unilateral opinion.

However, seeing Komari being like this before everyone is the absolute last thing I want.


At that time, I forced Komari to come to a compromise.

It’s just in case. I thought I wouldn’t be wrong compared to Komari.


-I was wrong. Sorry, Komari.


At the next second, I opened the door determinedly.

All eyes within the conference room gathered upon me.

I entered the room and stood next to Komari without thinking anything else.

Komari looked at me upon my sudden appearance. She’s bewildered.


Obviously, I didn’t consider any consequences.

After that, I yelled the following sentence out.


“-Sorry, I’m late. I’m the president of the Literature Club, Kazuhiko Nukumizu.”


Confusion enveloped the room.

Teiara-san frowned. She glanced at the document in her hand.

“Your name isn’t on our list. Have you completed the procedure for replacing presidents?”

She glared at me without even attempting to hide her extreme hostility.

During this time, the silent student council president spoke up.

“We can take care of that later. Please continue.”

“Yes, thank you very much.”

I sighed in relief. However, Komari is glaring at me this time.

“...N-Nukumizu, w-why are you here?”

“Anyway, leave this to me for now. Borrow me your draft.”

I reached my hand out. However, Komari just lowered her head. She’s trembling.

“...Komari?”

“A-Are you kidding me!?”

Suddenly, Komari threw the draft to my face.

“Hey, wait-”

“T-Then how should I f-feel about this t-then!?”

She threw the plastic bottle at me afterward before barging out of the conference room.

The whole crowd went silent upon seeing this.

I picked up the plastic bottle on the ground as I stroked my wet hair upward.

At least throw it to my face after closing the cap…

“Are you…alright?”

Even Teiara-san gave me sympathetic looks.

“I’m fine. I’m starting the Literature Club’s activity report.”

I smiled again and clenched the draft dripping with water tightly in my hands.

*

The president’s meeting is over.

I don’t even have the strength to stand up. I’m just sitting alone in the empty conference room dazedly.

“You messed up, Nukumizu-kun.”

Clack. Yanami put a foldable chair next to me and sat down.

…Yeah, I messed up again, right?

I leaned on the table. Yanami patted my back.

“But this can’t be helped, right? Here. I’ve left the last one for Nukumizu-kun.”

“...Why is there only one cake left?”

Yanami started opening the package when she sensed I wouldn’t take it.

“Komari-chan’s failure is swept away if Nukumizu-kun becomes the bad guy. Also, I guess that girl’s resentment toward Nukumizu-kun more or less covers up her agony.”

Yanami held the cake with her lips and tore it into two.

“But Komari-chan must feel very upset from Nukumizu-kun forcing yourself to be the bad guy. Alright, there’s half left.”

After saying that, she shoved the remaining half of the cake into my hand.

…Why did this girl push her half-finished food on me?

I remained still. Yanami gave me a mischievous look.

“Nukumizu-kun, you don’t need to feel ‘Yanami-san ate half of this…’ right now, you know?”

Uhh, …I simply don’t like tasting other people’s saliva.

Ah, sheesh, it’s too much of a pain to think about everything. I shoved the cake into my mouth.

“Anyway, let’s chase after Komari first. Where did she go?”

“She ran away too quickly. I didn’t see her.”

“Got it. Well, let’s search for clues together now…”

“Wait, Nukumizu-kun. Aren’t we splitting? You’re going with me?”

“Uh, but I really don’t know what to talk about when I’m alone with Komari. So…”

Yanami shot me cold gazes without saying anything.

“Well, …actually, I was just hesitating for a bit. Yeah, alright, I’ll do my best.”

I stood up determinedly to avert her eyes.

*

The sun is setting. Darkness is consuming the evening.

I stepped outside the west building and looked at the moon above the sky.

Club room, Komari’s classroom, library, possible sink locations…

I’ve searched everywhere, yet Komari is nowhere to be found.

Her bicycle is still in the parking lot. She should still be somewhere in the school. The only spot left is-

“...The girls’ toilet?”

It will be bad if she’s there. No, don’t tell me now’s the time to cross the boundary…?

I’m growing restless. A tall boy appeared from the corner of the school building.

It’s the previous president Tamaki-senpai. He raised his hand and dashed toward me.

“Senpai. Actually, well-”

Tamaki-senpai nodded to signal that I didn’t need to continue.

“I’ve heard the details from Yanami-san already. Koto and Yakishio-san are helping out as well. Don’t worry too much about it.”

“Yes, sure…”

I couldn’t face his pupils. I lowered my head subconsciously. Tamaki-senpai gently put his fist on my chest.

“Thanks, you have done well.”

Did I do well…? Like that?

Perhaps he just said that to comfort me. But either way, I feel much calmer right now.

“...I’ll go look for Komari.”

“Sure, I’ll search for clues as well.”

After bidding farewell to Tamaki-senpai, I headed to the outskirts of the west building.

Right there, the old building is standing in the darkness.

…How did I forget about this place?

Perhaps I subconsciously avoided this place due to my fear of facing Komari.

I took a deep breath and entered the emergency stairs of the old building.

*

The first time I came here was to eat Yanami’s handmade bento.

After that, I always come here whenever I want to chill alone. Komari started showing up every few days sometime after.

By the way, why does she always come to the same floor as I do if she keeps dissing me?


Upon entering the stairs, the fluorescent lamps lighted up with a “ka-chak” sound.

These are the only light sources within this gloomy corner near the old building.

I slowly walked up, step by step.

“...You’re here.”

Komari appeared on the second floor’s platform.

Her petite body is standing there alone under the cold fluorescent lights.

“W-Why are you here…?”

“I want to talk to Komari.”

I stopped approaching Komari.

There seems to be an invisible barrier that prevents me from getting any closer.

“Komari, that was…”

“W-Why did you do that…?”

She lowered her head. Her voice barely squeezed out.

“Sorry, even though I was probably being nosy, I…”

“Y-You are!”

Komari raised her head. She shortened the distance that I wasn’t able to step in.

“W-What was that!? I-I could’ve done that alone! H-How would I know if I-I didn’t try!?”

Komari’s cheeks look pale. She’s shaking and running out of breath.

“W-Why is it always N-Nukumizu-”

Her voice is coarse. She’s choking. Komari took out her phone.

Without recovering her breathing, Komari stopped tapping the screen wholeheartedly.

A refreshing notification sound that doesn’t match the current mood at all plays from my phone. I took it out. The screen shows Komari’s message on Line.

Why is she texting if she’s in front of me? I couldn’t hide my confusion as I opened the app.


<I was the only first-year student ever since I joined the Literature Club in April.>


Komari’s holding her phone tightly with her trembling hands. Her eyes are filled with tears. Her fingers swept around the screen as she kept clicking it.

Komari’s words flooded the Line chat.


<There aren’t any second-year students. Only the three of us are in the club. I don’t know when the club will disappear. The happier I’m right now, the more I’m afraid of loneliness after the senpais have graduated.>


-Komari wasn’t trying to avoid it by using her phone.

Instead, she decided to convey her feelings with words and face me with her sincere side.


<Nukumizu only came to the club after I reminded you, right? Even though there are 4 first-year students right now, everyone actually has other places to be. I don’t know when you guys will leave!>


The messages popping out of the screen is purer than her words. It’s Komari’s sincere feelings.


<I have nothing besides the Literature Club! Even though the senpais aren’t here anymore, even though I’ll be the only one left, I have to protect it!>


Come to think of it, this girl is only ever really mean to me.


She always looks displeased, yet she immediately holds the bottom of her clothes whenever she’s worried.

She likes eating cheap bread during lunch. She always gives me her feedback every time she reads my novel-


<I have to bear everything if I want to become something!>


…She sometimes chuckles cheerfully.


Although she’s a petite girl filled with anxiety, she works very hard.


<I’m not good at dealing with other people, nor do I have many friends. I can’t do anything. I’m always afraid. Even so, I’ve finally found somewhere I belong.>


Komari’s finger stopped.

Her parched lips mustered up a very faint voice.


“I-If we will be saying goodbye sooner or later, …p-please stop being so nice to me.”


-I’m an idiot.

I misunderstood. I thought Komari and I were the same.

I’m okay with being alone. It’s more like I enjoy being by myself.


But she’s not. She’s very lonely when there’s no one with her. She wants to be with someone else.

Not being together upset her. She’s an ordinary girl like this.

She’s just a girl holding her phone tightly as her tiny shoulders shiver like that.

I wanted to say something. My finger is wandering on my phone.

I’m not responding to Komari verbally.

Komari wiped her tears with her sleeve after my message slipped into the chat. She looked at it.

Komari stood still for half a beat. She raised her head and looked at me sheepishly.

“W-Well, what does t-this mean…?”

…Eh? What do you mean by what does this mean?

It seems that some explanations are necessary. I cleared my throat and faced Komari again.

“In other words, hmm, well, …I guess I quite love it.”

“Fueh!?”

What’s with her surprised voice? Is she trying to be cute?

“Ah, no, I mean, well, I quite love Komari’s novels.”

“N-Novels…?”

Komari suddenly dropped her jaw deflatedly.

“Well, yeah. Look, I’m not good at writing novels. The Literature Club’s activities can’t go on without Komari. As long as you’re creating, I’ll be on your side, even though I’m not very reliable. So, Komari…”

I remembered Komari’s words again.


“Don’t say you’re alone anymore.”


Silence ensued for a long time.

Komari lowered her head quietly. She put her hands with the phone before her chest.

“...R-Really?”

“Hmm?”

“I-I mean w-what you just said…”

At this moment, light footsteps can be heard downstairs.

Is something coming up? A tanned body flashed from the corner of my eyes when I thought about that.

“This is what you get for bullying Komari-chan!”

“Eh!?”

My body didn’t even have time to prepare. That person suddenly flashed behind me and wrapped her arms around my neck.

My body still remembers. This way of strangling is-

“Y-Yakishio! L-Let go…”

“I can’t believe you’re bullying Komari-chan! Nukkun, I’m disappointed in you!”

Shit, I can’t breathe. I prepared myself to face death. Then, Komari hastily came and stopped her.

“N-No, …I-I wasn’t bullied.”

“Eh, you weren’t?”

Yakishio let go of her arms. I finally slipped out.

“Y-You…almost choked me to death.”

“It’s because I heard Nukkun and Komari-chan were arguing. Also, I thought you did something to Komari-chan after seeing you two’s conversation on Line.”

I felt like somebody threw a bucket of sewage onto my head.

…Hmm? Hold on. What did Yakishio just say?

During this time, Yanami appeared from the stairs as she was catching her breath.

“Remon-chan, …listen to me properly…”

Yanami was shaking. She leaned on Yakishio.

“Sorry, sorry. I couldn’t wait for another second after hearing their voices.”

“Please hold on for a moment. How did you two know about our conversation on the phone…?”

Yakishio showed me the screen of her phone confusedly.

“It’s because you two have been chatting in the Literature Club’s group.”

“Fueh?”

Komari screamed again.

She freaked out and clicked on her phone. Yakishio immediately hugged her tightly.

“Komari-chan has always been worried. It’s okay now. You won’t be alone anymore. We’ll forever be your friends!”

“Ugh, well, it hurts…”

Komari is struggling before Yakishio’s chest. I feel like a burden has been taken off my shoulders.

“...It looks like you two have talked properly.”

Yanami tidied her messy hair as she stood next to me.

“I guess. Even though I don’t know whether Komari has accepted it, I guess we have told each other what we need to.”

Komari isn’t left behind for the Literature Club.

Instead, the Literature Club is left behind for Komari. This feeling is entrusted to me.

…We have caused such a stir just by conveying our thoughts to each other.

But, in a sense, this fits our style.

“See? I’m right. You will definitely receive Komari-chan’s feelings as long as you are serious about being considerate to her.”

Did this girl ever say that…?

“Well, I’ll leave the details out for now. Anyway, thank you, Yanami-san.”

Facing my sincere gratitude, Yanami first displayed her surprise before smiling.

“Don’t worry about it. This way, your super attractive consultant Yanami-chan’s mission is complete.”

…Even though I’ve told Komari she won’t be alone anymore, I’ve forgotten about these girls until then.

Yakishio and Yanami are her real partners in the Literature Club as well.

Of course, there will be a day when they grow distant from each other.

Even if relationships don’t change, high school life will eventually be over one day.

We continue our lives while holding on and repeatedly letting go of each other’s temporary connections. I have a feeling that while this is lonely, it’s not all sadness…

As if she’s breaking my melancholy thoughts, Yanami hands her phone to me.

“Eh, what’s wrong…?”

“I’ve checked you two’s conversation. Don’t just let Komari-chan says everything. Nukumizu-kun should say something, too.”

“...I did answer, you know? This should be enough, right?”

Even though it was short, sending out an entire paragraph isn’t what I like either. Also, should I say I’m a bit embarrassed?

“Ho, there’s a continuation after that? Let me see.”

Yanami scrolled down the screen nonchalantly. Her face suddenly stiffened.

“...Uwah, what did you even say, Nukumizu-kun?”

“Eh, what’s wrong?”

“Wait, there’s no excuse this time, right!? You’re indeed saying that, right?”

Yanami shoved her phone to me.

The screen is showing my message.


<I’ll always be there for you.>


…? I didn’t say anything weird.

“This means I’m planning to stay at the Literature Club and not quit…”

“Ohh, …Nukumizu-kun, are you a natural airhead?”

Yanami looked at the sky dumbfoundedly.

“I really don’t understand what you mean. Did I sexually harass her again? #MeToo?”

“...Sheesh, that’s why I don’t like this part of you, Nukumizu-kun.”

Yanami shrugged before going to Yakishio and Komari. They are still cuddling intimately.

“Hey, Komari-chan. That’s what Nukumizu-kun said-”

“R-Regrettable. T-The new president is a guy like this.”

“If Nukkun’s the president, make sure you do it properly, okay?”

Eh, 3 vs.1 is so unfair. Even though I don’t think I can win a 1 vs.1 either.

By the way, what did they just call me…? I trembled as I raised my hand.

“Well, about being the president, can I really do it?”

The three girls exchanged glances. Then, for some reason, they burst into laughter.

What is this? Is this the so-called tyranny of the majority?

Komari left the girls’ circle and took a step toward me.

“N-Nukumizu, y-you have to take up responsibility a-after promising it.”

“Eh, in other words…”

Komari raised her head. She looked at me with a shy smile between her hair.


“You can’t run away, okay? I’ll leave this to you- Prez.”




Epilogue: At the Platform on the Emergency Stairs, 4th Floor, Old Building, Tsuwabuki High School


Cheerful laughter echoes on the stairs below.

Koto has read the record in the Line chatroom countless times. She covered her eyes full of tears.

“I’m so glad. …I’m so glad for this…”

Koto Tsukinoki and Shintaro Tamaki are standing shoulder to shoulder on the platform of the stairs.

The kouhais’ conversation from below keeps churning more tears out of Koto’s eyes.

Tamaki gently patted Koto’s head.

“You did your best. You must have held in for a long time, right?”

“We don’t need to worry about Komari-chan anymore from now on. That’s what Shintaro thinks too, right?”

“Well, yeah. Lower your voice, Koto. Everyone will hear it.”

“But I, …but I’m really happy.”

Koto’s nose twitched.

“I hope Komari-chan can be independent or talk to others properly. I just keep thinking about those things…”

Tamaki handed her some paper tissues. Koto blew her nose.

“But those were just answers I had assumed to be right and forced onto Komari-chan.”

A cute kouhai used to be worrisome. However, right now, she has partners she has searched for using her own powers. Nothing makes Koto happier than that.

“That girl is much stronger than I’ve imagined.”

“...Komari-chan is determined. Also, it’s relieving to know Nukumizu is here too.”

Koto showed a slightly surprised expression upon hearing this name.

“Ho, you think of him very highly.”

“Nukumizu’s actually unexpectedly reliable. He’s very calm even when I’m talking to him. I can’t believe that he’s actually younger than us.”

“...Indeed, Nukumizu-kun is a strange boy.”

They first met during the new semester in April.

She tricked him into writing his name on the application form at that time. His membership in the Literature Club was merely symbolic.

She didn’t expect him to come when she asked Komari to remind him.

“At first, I just thought he was a lazy ghost member. I thought I needed to thank the gods when he actually showed up.”

Koto leaned on the railing of the stairs.

“All of the first-year girls here stand out a lot, aren’t they? Yet, there’s a colorless and tasteless Nukumizu-kun mixed between them. I was really worried about him.”

“...Are you even praising him?”

“I am praising him tons. In other words, Nukumizu-kun is an…’interesting man’, you know?”

Koto said that jokingly as she leaned on Tamaki, wanting to be spoiled.

“However, I still want to know whether he’s worthy enough for us to entrust Komari-chan to him. A man can’t be decided on a whim, okay?”

“Alright, let’s leave Komari-chan to Nukumizu. Those two will get along well.”

“You sound like those two are going out.”

“Who knows? But it’s better to leave her to Nukumizu-kun than some weird guy, right?”

“...You think you’re her ex-boyfriend?”

Koto pretended to throw a tantrum and turned around.

“I can leave my Komari-chan to him if he’s the guy. That’s how I feel.”

“Well, I guess that’s true.”

Tamaki answered jokingly as well. Koto stared daggers at him.

“Hey, Shintaro! You really didn’t do anything to Komari-chan, right?”

“I didn’t. Hey, be quiet-”

Koto pulled Tamaki’s tie before he could even finish. She closed his lips with hers forcefully.

“Koto! We’re in school, okay!?”

“I’ll be quiet if you shut me down with your lips, right?”

Tamaki covered his flaring cheeks.

“You dummy. …You-”

“I wonder who you are when you have such a dumb girlfriend?”

Koto chuckled.

Perhaps they have heard the commotions here. Lively chatters can be heard below.

“Look, everyone heard it now…”

“Isn’t this nice? It’s better to share the happiness with everyone.”

Koto smiled as she turned around and looked at the stairs.


Nukumizu must have said something unnecessary again.

Yanami yelled at Nukumizu. Her voice echoed throughout the stairs.


“That’s why I don’t like this part of you, Nukumizu-kun!”


Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment