Sunday, September 11, 2022

Too Many Losing Heroines! V2 Chapter 4 & Epilogue

Chapter 4: Remon Yakishio Is Speaking Up


Translator: Pingas


It’s the second night. I’m browsing the light novel bookshelf inside the Seibunkan Bookstore’s manga room.

…We came back from Shinshiro yesterday. I was listening to Tsukinoki-senpai’s talking about random stuff, and I was home when I snapped out of it.

Even though I feel like everything has come to a complete end, there’s still one last thing left.

Yakishio fulfilled her promise. She’ll meet with Ayano and have a proper chat. As for me, I need to protect Yakishio until she’s at their promised place.

After dinner, even though there was still ample time left, I decided to leave my home early. It’s because I’m restless. I can’t stay at my house.

Yakishio said she wanted to talk to Ayano. She’s not trying to change her fate. It’s because her feelings are already well-known.

Tonight’s meeting is like an aftermath of a defeat. I don’t know what’s waiting ahead in the future for the two of them…

I thought about that as I reached my hand out toward the bookshelf subconsciously.

“Oh, the new volume of <Feed JK> is out.”

The proper name of this light novel is <Even Though There Is a JK as a Bonus From the Apartment I Have Rented, She Is Too Expensive to Feed>.

The story is about a high school girl running to the MC’s house and start living with him. The book’s realistic description of the rising electricity bill and food costs has earned it widespread praises.

Also, the latest volume adds another girl living with him, so the MC has to save up even more.

“Eh, …the MC starts delivering newspaper?”

I wonder how the story will progress. Someone patted my back when I read the introduction on the back cover.

“Nukkun, here you are.”

“Eh, Yakishio.”

Remon Yakishio is standing next to me.

“I went to your house just then. Your family told me that you went to the station. I feel like this is where you are.”

“Forget about that. What’s up with your clothes?”

Yakishio’s in her sportswear and shorts, …not entirely a match with the atmosphere when she’s standing at a corner of the bookstore.

“I was jogging. Moreover, isn’t this how I’ve always looked?”

Yakishio laughed carefreely.

“But, look, you’re meeting with Ayano right away.”

“It’s fine. This is how I normally look, anyway.”

Yakishio stares at the bookshelf in front of her.

“These are light novels? I wonder if I can finish them.”

“Eh? Ah, a lot of light novels have a relaxing reading experience. Please don’t worry about it.”

“But I still haven’t decided which book I should on my book report. Which is the thinnest book in here?”

“…Tomorrow is the last day of the summer holiday, you know?”

“I can get an extra week if I say I’ve finished it, but I’ve left it at home. Perhaps the teacher may even forget about it if I’m lucky- ah, this one feels interesting.”

“Nope, this one starts with the MC running around naked on the streets.”

“Well, how about this one?”

“No as well. The first illustration is the MC being pushed over by an 800-year-old, half-naked loli.”

“…I thought I had chosen the book with the most normal title out of these.”

“I have to say you have a rather peculiar taste with your accurate selection.”

We went outside the store after I promised to lend her books.

It’s completely dark outside now. Yakishio took a big stretch below the street lamp.

“Hiya, it feels good to read sometimes. I feel like I’ve grown smarter.”

Relax, you haven’t even read a single line.

Alright, there’s still some time left. What should we do?

We were going to meet up near Yakishio’s house before heading to meet with Ayano.

I thought about that as I looked at my watch. At this time, Yakishio grabbed my hand and looked at the digital display.

“Hey, Nukkun, what are you going to do next? Are you going to walk over there?”

“Uh, I’ll kill time for a little bit and take the tram.”

“I see.”

Yakishio mumbled disappointingly. She kicked the ground with her shoes.

“Sigh, this can’t be helped. I’ll jog for a while and head there.”

“Got it. Well, let’s meet at the promised time.”

Well, I do notice that Yakishio’s attitude seems to be strange.

I scratched my head and looked away from her.

“Ah, …but we’ll be right on time if we walk over there now. I need more exercise recently. Let’s walk, alright?”

My tone is pretty blatant. Yakishio followed up with the same attitude.

“Ah, come to think of it, my muscles are cooled down after reading. I guess a walk sounds better than a jog right now.”

I glanced next to me. Yakishio and I are looking at each other. Both of us can’t help but laugh.

“Right, Yakishio is heading to the same place as I do.”

I continued unnaturally.

“I guess. You can’t be helped. I’ll do my good deed of the day and go with you.”

Yakishio put both of her hands behind her head. She shot me a flirtatious glance.

I looked at her with a bitter smile. We then walked shoulder-to-shoulder.

*

For most of the 40-minute stroll, we were chitchatting about trivial things.

Summer holiday homework, the opening ceremony two days later, the senpai in the Track and Field Club who looks scary but actually has a kind heart-

Yakishio was really talkative, but then she gradually toned down. It’s because we’re almost at the destination.

The place we’ve promised Ayano is the playground of the primary school where the two of them used to go together.

I’m on the road outside the school to check what’s in the school across the railings.

“…The lights of the school building are closed.”

Ah? Perhaps it’s too late to say this, but this is illegal trespassing, right…?

 “It’s almost time.”

Yakishio put her hands on her chest and took a deep breath. She whispered, “I’m ready.” Then, she raised her head.

“Well, I’ll get going.”

“Hey, Yakishio. It’s a bit too late to say this, but are you sure you just want to walk in there like it’s nothing? Won’t you get scolded?”

“That’s really too late of you…”

I’m worried, after all.

Yakishio put her hands on her waist. She shook her head helplessly.

“All of the kids are gone in the afternoon, anyway. It’s fine if you don’t make a stir, and I’m used to it.”

Don’t tell me this girl is a recidivist. …Whatever, I’m not the one getting scolded, anyway.

I was going to send her off gently. Yet, Yakishio gently poked my chest.

“Nukkun, you say that because you’re worried about me, right?”

“Eh? No, that’s impossible.”

“Thanks, I can do this myself. Wait for me here, Nukkun.”

Ah, so I have to walk her back as well? It’s scary to be on the streets alone at night.

Yakishio seems to have noticed that I’m worried about my surroundings. Her eyebrows raised.

“Nukkun, are you trying to make a girl go home alone at night?”

“That’s not true. Of course, I’ll send you back.”

“Alright, I’ll leave it to you.”

Yakishio showed her usual smile. Then, she raised her hand toward me.

…? I have considered 5 answers to her gesture. After that, I raised my hand tremblingly, just like her.

“Well, I’ll go and put an end to this!”

As if she grew impatient, Yakishio high-fived me forcefully. Next, she dashed out and jumped over the backdoor.

…Yep, this girl does this all the time.

*

The primary school playground under the moonlight seems smaller than Remon’s memory.

At that time, every corner of the school is filled with happiness. Then, when Remon felt that it was getting cramped, graduation fell upon her.

Remon stroked the playground rides nostalgically. She leisurely strolled around.

The empty rides in the dark have an indescribable sense of loneliness. If only the sun rises sooner, she thinks dazedly.

…Mitsuki is already here, right?

Looking around, a tall boy is standing there restlessly before a white shutter box at the corner of the playground.

At that moment, her vision turns blurry.

Remon took a deep breath. She suppressed her urge to dash over there. One step at a time, she walked toward there with determination.

Until she was in front of him, Remon didn’t realize she had never thought about her opening lines. She wondered what kind of expression she should face him with.

Standing before Mitsuki, Remon is giving him a very vague smile.

“Thanks for coming, Mitsuki.”

“No, …the pleasure is mine.”

This is a voice she was used to before Mitsuki entered puberty.

Mitsuki’s heavily confused expression made Remon relax.

Mitsuki is the same as her. He also didn’t consider how he should face her before he came here.

“I miss this place. It’s been years.”

Remon turned around without hesitation. She took a step forward to signal Mitsuki that he should follow her.

After a beat, Mitsuki walked next to her.

“I…haven’t been here since graduation. That makes it 4 years.”

“Me too.”

Even though I cried so much during the graduation ceremony, the school is very close to home, so she can come here whenever she wants. Despite this, Remon never visited this place until now.

Remon slowly ran to a slide with ladders. She looked up to Mitsuki. The latter shook his head.

“Don’t climb that. It’s dark.”

“I won’t. I’m not a child anymore.”

Perhaps her intention is exposed. Remon’s lips curled down as if she’s a child getting caught having bad ideas.

“I haven’t gone on the swings in a long time. I think I tried my best to see how high I could get, right?"

“You were the only one going that far. I think you’ve hurt your ankles as well.”

“…I did. Wow, I miss this tire as well.”

Remon is already riding on the half-buried tire before she finishes her sentence.

There aren’t any rules with this thing as well. So, she could sit around, jump over it, or go inside and back out when she was little. Whatever she wanted.

Remon crossed through tire after tire with ease. Then, she sat on the last one.

“Was the tire this small?”

“It’s always been like that, I think. Perhaps it’s because we stopped playing it after becoming seniors.”

Mitsuki said that as he sat on the tire next to hers. A smile appeared on Remon’s face.

She’s already happy when they can sit together.

Perhaps this is the last night where the two can be alone like this. They went silent for a moment.

“…We first talked during our second year of primary school, right?”

Remon spoke up nostalgically. Mitsuki nodded in silence.

“My first impression of Mitsuki isn’t great, actually. It’s because you were always reading during breaks. I thought you were a strange kid.”

The confession after 8 years made Mitsuki smile bitterly.

“At that time, I wanted to finish all the books during the academic year. There was this weird sense of duty burning through me.”

“Well, when I first talked to you, …ha, I bet you’ve forgotten about me, right?”

“It was when you injured your leg, right?”

In the autumn of their second year, Remon jumped down from the swings and injured her leg. Even though it wasn’t serious, she was banned from doing sports. So, she started messing with Mitsuki while he was reading.

“…You still remember.”

“Of course, after all, being messed with by the bully in class when I was reading is a big trauma in anyone’s life.”

“Is that how you think of me!? Shouldn’t it be a beautiful memory where you get to read shoulder-to-shoulder with a poor, injured girl?”

“You were bored of it pretty fast. I even had to explain the book to you.”

Remon chuckled. Mitsuki’s stiff face cracked, and he followed her laughter as well.

“I always get sleepy when I read, but I can listen as long as Mitsuki speaks.”

“…Yeah.”

“So, we were still reading together even after my leg healed.”

From then on, Remon always read with Mitsuki shoulder-to-shoulder, using excuses like rain, heat, and cold.

“I didn’t expect for me to explain the entire <Harry Potter> series to you as well.”

Mitsuki’s lips curled up slightly. His eyes closed in nostalgia.

“No, I should be the one complaining, right? The movies are entirely different than the books! Harry didn’t even marry Hermione at the end.”

“Sorry, I didn’t know Remon believed it.”

“Eh, doesn’t that make me an idiot?”

Mitsuki couldn’t hold his laughter. Remon wanted to say something, but she chuckled.

Remon is tired from laughing. She wiped her eyes.

“…I miss those times.”

“Yeah, it’s been 8 years already.”

They will talk until sunrise if possible.

It’s more like she really wants to do that. However, at this moment, she has the responsibility to push the clock forward. Remon cheered herself and started formulating her words.

“…I said I wanted to go to Tsuwabuki High School during the second year of middle school. In the end, everyone thought I was joking. Don’t you think they are pretty mean? Even the teacher pretended to be deaf.”

“Anyone would think that with your grades at the time.”

“But Mitsuki didn’t.”

“But I thought it was impossible as well.”

“Oh, right, I remembered! Even though you didn’t laugh at me, you did say I could never succeed with the entrance exam alone!”

Remon looked at Mitsuki angrily.

“Also, you wanted me to give up on the exam and tried to get a recommendation instead. Weren’t you too mean?”

“Your grade was far below the average, after all…”

Tsuwabuki is one of the tops in the prefecture. So, logically, it shouldn’t be a choice based on Remon’s grades.

“If that’s so, then why did Mitsuki still help me?”

“That’s because…that’s what friends are for.”

Friend. Remon couldn’t help but lower her head after hearing that word.

She and Mitsuki are friends, whether it’s the past or present.

“…I didn’t know Mitsuki would go so far to help a friend. You even told me how to get an internal promotion. How did you even know that?”

Mitsuki didn’t just teach her things on the tests.

He investigated each subject and how each teacher would grade them. Thanks to that, Remon’s internal promotion score was high enough to get a recommendation from Tsuwabuki.

“I pretended to ask questions and tried my best to please the teachers. I even tried my hands on the admission guidance as well.”

“But you didn’t have to check the teachers’ marriage anniversaries and birthdays, right?”

“I thought I should do everything I could. However, you managed to be on the Prefecture Sports Festival’s commendation stand as the captain of the Track and Field Club by yourself.”

Next year, Aichi Prefecture will hold the national sports festival for all high school students. Mitsuki also recommended Remon run for the next captain of the Track and Field Club.

“Also, Mitsuki is very good at studying. You’re always on top during the third year of middle school.”

“It’s just inside the school. My ranking is on the lower side in mock exams outside.”

Remon and Mitsuki kept helping each other toward the entrance exam in the latter half of their middle school life.

Yet, she still went to clubs despite the imminent exam. An outsider may think she seems to be easily overcoming hurdle after hurdle.

However, only the two of them understand the time and memories they have accumulated.

Remon is also pleased, even though she doesn’t tell everyone how proud she is.

“But I don’t understand…”

Remon bows down. Something seems to be on her mind.

“What?”

“I don’t understand why Mitsuki helped me. Even though you had to deal with the exam too, there’s no way you would’ve gone that far just because we are friends, right?”

Remon’s throwing a tantrum. Mitsuki turned stiff.

“…Didn’t you tell me why you want to go to Tsuwabuki? Remon said your house is full of scholars and lawyers. You said you would be ashamed if you didn’t do well academically.”

“I can’t believe you can remember all of that. It’s not just my parents. A huge chunk of my family is in good schools. Even though Dad and Mom told me not to worry about it too much, it sounded like they told me to give up and stop trying to act cool.”

He didn’t forget about this as well. Remon mumbled and raised her head forcefully as if she had made up her mind.

“But it’s not just that.”

Remon’s tone is unprecedented. Mitsuki noticed something and straightened his body.

“It’s because I want to attend the same high school as Mitsuki.”

Mitsuki is being stared at directly. He looked back as if he had forgotten how to breathe.

“Remon…”

“I’ve already told the truth. It’s time for Mitsuki to do that as well.”

“…You want me to be honest?”

“Why did you go that far?”

Mitsuki probably knew he couldn’t escape anymore. He fiddled his fingers. Then, in an attempt to avoid her gaze, he looked to the ground.

“It’s because…I also want to be in the same high school as Remon.”

Mitsuki sighed and continued with a deep voice.

“Remon is gradually getting more attention after getting into middle school. You’re always praised at the school’s sports festival with a medal after medal. Layers upon layers of people are surrounding you.”

After taking a deep breath, Mitsuki continued as if he reaffirmed his beliefs.

“To me, Remon is very charming. I feel like you’re going further and further away from me. So, I was thrilled when you came to me for help. I was really excited when I thought I could attend the same high school as you.”

Mitsuki still wants to continue, but he’s not good with his words. So, he hesitated a couple of times and ended up in silence.

“…I didn’t know that’s how you think of me.”

Remon casually broke through the silent atmosphere again.

“At that time, I was full of energy simply because of happiness. I didn’t understand what I was thinking at that time. But, right now-“

Mitsuki swallowed his words. He cannot and should not say the following sentence.

The two of them already know. So, Remon spoke up.

“I’ll say it for you.”

Mitsuki immediately raised his head. His face is full of fear.

Remon gently smiled. She continued with an even softer tone.

“Mitsuki, you once fell in love with me, right?”

Silence. That’s his reply.

At this point, the answer doesn’t matter anymore. Mitsuki calmed down and spoke up.

“I still don’t understand. Chihaya…”

At this point, he’s confused. He wondered whether he should continue.

“It’s fine. Go ahead.”

“…After I started going out with Chihaya, I slowly understood my feelings for her and why my heart flutters whenever I’m with her.”

It’s been less than a year since he met with Chihaya Asagumo.

“This is how it feels to fall in love with another person.”

However, the reason why he can realize this in such a short time is because of all the feelings he has accumulated up to this point.

The feelings he has for Chihaya Asagumo and the feelings he has for Remon.

“…I’m really happy. Indeed, I’m really happy.”

Remon continued calmly. Then, she looked at Mitsuki in embarrassment.

“But I-“

Remon interrupted him as if she wanted to ease his worries. She continued gently.

“Nothing is happier than that, right? The person I love loves me as well. That’s all that matters.”

 

-Even if I can’t be with you.

Remon decides to hide that inside her heart.

 

This is love that withers the moment it’s realized.

 

That’s why Remon gave Mitsuki a blossoming smile.

“Let me ask you this. Which part of Asagumo-san do you like?”

“Well, …can I say that?”

“Why not?”

Remon chuckled. Mitsuki struggled with his words.

“…I w-want to work with books in the future.”

“Eh? Does Mitsuki want to be in a publishing house? Or an author?”

Remon’s tone got an octave higher after Mitsuki’s unexpected speech.

“I still haven’t figured it out. It’s still up in the air.”

Mitsuki stared at his palm.

“I still don’t know what I can do. I still don’t know what I want to do. However, if I decide that I want to work with books, I’m planning to head to a university in Tokyo. Then, I’ll get as much experience from doing everything I can within 4 years.”

Mitsuki’s side profile is radiating maturity. Remon is attracted to him. Yet, she suddenly has a question.

Even though she’s asking how he fell in love with Asagumo, Mitsuki is talking about this instead. In other words-

“…Does Asagumo-san want to do the same as well?”

“Yeah, Chihaya has the same dream as I do. It’s more like she’s the one who helps to consolidate my vague dream.”

“You two are amazing for thinking so far ahead.”

“To me, Remon is the truly amazing one.”

For some reason, she feels like something heavy has been lifted off her chest. Remon raised her head and looked to the night sky.

Mitsuki is also looking at the sky. Remon pointed up.

“Look, isn’t that star really bright? Is that the North Star?”

“The North Star isn’t in this direction, okay? The bright one right now should be the Summer Triangle. Look, the big stars form a triangle, right?”

“Ugh, I’ve only found one. It feels red. Is that Mars?”

Mitsuki followed Remon’s eyes. That one? He said that and nodded.

“That’s Antares, in the constellation of Scorpius.”

“Oh, that’s Scorpius?”

…Although they are watching the same sky, the star she and Mitsuki are looking at isn’t the same.

Feeling lonely, Remon thinks of Chihaya Asagumo again.

She shares the same dream as Mitsuki. They are also on the same path.

“Mitsuki, don’t ever let Asagumo-san go, alright? She’s irreplaceable to Mitsuki.”

“…Yes.”

Silence enveloped the two once again.

They already noticed that they had said whatever they needed.

So, one of them has to close the curtains.

“Remon, it’s time to go back, right?”

Perhaps he thinks he should be the one to do it. Mitsuki quickly stood up as if he didn’t want to overthink anything.

“I’m staying here for a bit longer. Leave me alone.”

“…Are you sure?”

Remon nodded. She whispered to herself that she would be fine.

 

“Relax. I’m just taking a small break, and then I’ll turn back to that energetic Remon Yakishio.”

*

It’s been almost 20 minutes since Yakishio trespassed the backdoor.

“…I should just say there’s a cat, right?”

I stared at the gloomy backdoor after thinking of an excuse.

I’ve even thought of an excuse for trespassing just in case. Let’s just say a kitten ran into the school.

“It appears to be a tortoiseshell cat. Let’s call it Nyaruko.”

Nyaruko is a stray cat. She’s very cautious of everyone except for me. She likes me when I feed her. If that’s the case, let’s just say she’s a female cat if she turns into a cat girl…

A tall figure suddenly stands before me when I’m searching for cat photos on my phone.

“Meow!?”

“What are you doing here, Nukumizu?”

The person talking to me is Ayano. He came out of the school when I was looking up photos. That’s why I didn’t notice him.

“Uh, well, I’m sending someone back…”

“Me?”

No freaking way.

I’m not mentally prepared for the sudden conversation. So, I cleared my throat and explained everything from the beginning.

“It’s too late, so I have to walk Yakishio home.”

I went around Ayano and glanced inside.

“Is Yakishio still inside?”

“Yeah, she said she wanted to chill alone.”

Ayano knows that I’m worried about her. He continued kindly.

“…Relax, I’ve already talked to Remon. Sorry, but I’ll leave the rest to you.”

Ayano looks very calm. Although I have to be careful around this guy, I’ll trust him this time.

“I don’t know what I can do, but I’ll walk her home, anyway.”

Ayano didn’t move. I looked at him. Whether coincidence or not, our eyes met.

“I’ve already heard it from Chihaya. You liking Yanami-san is a lie, right?”

“Well, yeah…”

Right, I forgot that was a thing.

Ayano stared at me for a while. He gently mumbled.

“You’re a nice person.”

“Ha? What makes you think that?”

“It’s this whole incident, obviously. A normal person won’t go so far for a friend, right?”

…Friend? Who’re friends with who?

“If you’re talking about Yakishio, we aren’t really friends.”

“Why? You two pretty much look like one.”

“No, think about it. We have never confirmed our friendship. Moreover, does Yakishio view me as a friend? There’s no consensus between us.”

I explained my reasoning rapidly as I remembered what happened on the last day of the first semester.

It wasn’t until that day that I knew I was already friends with Yanami. Although that was a major shock to me, that was a good experience.

“…Even I don’t think a declaration is required before making friends.”

“I see. Glad to hear that.”

“That’s what I’m trying to say after all of this. Isn’t it awkward when the person you think of as a friend doesn’t think of you as one?”

“Nukumizu, you’re overthinking too much…”

Ayano was planning to brush it off with a laugh, but his face suddenly turned serious.

“No, perhaps Nukumizu is right. Even though I’ve never considered that before.”

Yo, someone finally gets me. I nodded firmly.

“Right? So, the confirmation process is critical.”

“I know what you mean, but you’re still overthinking Remon too much. Also, didn’t Nukumizu and I become friends before we even realized it?”

“Wait, we are friends?”

I spurted that without thinking. Ayano almost tripped over.

“Are you serious? I want to cry.”

…Wait, this guy really thinks I’m his friend?

However, if that’s so, I don’t hate an enthusiastic person like him.

“Well, …I’m not a talented person, but I look forward to our friendship. That’s all.”

“You think this is a marriage proposal?”

Ayano chuckled. I followed as well.

I was the one proposing last time. How the tables have turned.

After that, I noticed Yakishio looking at us from the railings behind the backdoor dumbfoundedly.

“How can you two laugh so much when I’m sinking in sadness here?”

Yakishio said that refreshingly as she jumped over the railings with ease.

“It’s between the boys. Right, Nukumizu?”

Ayano poked me with his elbow. I carefully poked him back.

“Uh, well, …I guess.”

Is this really what a conversation between friends looks like? Isn’t this too unnatural…?

Ayano puts his arm on my shoulder when I’m thinking about that.

“Well, Remon, make sure Nukumizu sends you back properly.”

“You too, Mitsuki. Don’t just cry because you’re going back at night.”

Is Ayano planning to head back?

Sigh, I guess. Ayano already has Asagumo-san, after all. They can’t just be alone all the time.

Yakishio came next to me. She patted my back as usual.

“Thanks for the wait, Nukkun. Let’s head back.”

“Ah, yeah, sure.”

I answered as I watched Ayano’s departure.

A lot of ideas came to my head, but I ignored all of them. It’s because my body moved before anything else.

“Yakishio, sorry, just a second.”

“What’s wrong, Nukkun?”

I grabbed Ayano’s hand and dragged him to where Yakishio couldn’t hear us.

“Oi, what’s wrong, Nukumizu?”

“You should at least walk her home for the last time.”

Ayano probably understood what I meant. His face turned stiff.

“…It’s already over for the two of us. I’ll feel bad for Chihaya if something happens again.”

“Perhaps you’re right, but throw all of those away from now. What’s wrong with…just a little longer?”

“But-“

Ayano and I turned to Yakishio. She’s peeking at us from afar worriedly.

“It’s just a trip to her house. What’s wrong with that?”

“I did tell Chihaya that Remon and I would talk, but this-“

“…is cheating, right?”

Ayano became lost in thought with what I casually spurted. He eventually bitterly smiled.

“Please don’t tell Chihaya, alright?”

“Just stop doing things that give you a headache.”

I pushed Ayano toward Yakishio.

“Well, I’ll leave it to you, Ayano.”

“Eh, wait, Nukkun?”

“There’s something sudden that I need to do. Ayano will walk you home.”

“Eh!”

Yakishio’s immediately turned stiff. Ayano scratched his head. He walked toward Yakishio while trying to cover his embarrassment.

“It’s dangerous at night, after all. Can I walk you home?”

Yakishio nodded obediently.

“…Yeah.”

I watched the two of them gradually disappear.

Come to think of it, Ayano isn’t wearing Asagumo-san’s bracelet today.

“Ayano, I wonder how dense he is…?”

I shrugged and stopped thinking about it.

It’s late right now. Who cares about being a naughty child for a moment?

If Asagumo-san is here, she will definitely say, “Of course, you should walk her home. Look at the time.”

Even if that’s not true, there’s nothing wrong with Yakishio and Ayano having a small secret like this.

 

I thought about that as I strolled across the street during the night back home.

 

“Mitsuki.”

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I love you, Mitsuki.”

“Remon, you-“

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“It’s nothing. Thank you. I’m happy, Remon.”

“Hehe…”

 

“Hey, can I ask for something ridiculous?”

“Ridiculous?”

“Yes, you can’t even say it to Asagumo-san. Just this one. This is my first and last ridiculous request.”

 

Mitsuki’s face is reflected through Remon’s clear brown pupils.

Mitsuki nodded.

 

What she wants is a tiny little secret between the two of them.

With that, Remon Yakishio spoke up.




Epilogue: The Other Side of the Happy Ending

 

Two days after that night. It’s the morning of the new semester.

“It’s over…”

I sighed while in my uniform as I walked toward the entrance.

Indeed, the summer holiday is finally over.

Not having to be disrupted by the alarm in the morning, playing video games, or reading online manga in my air-conditioned room, and look, it’s already noon.

Reading light novels, manga, or anime in the afternoon. Then, call it a day by randomly leaving a couple of strokes on my work and feeling accomplished for the day before going to bed. …This lifestyle is already declared to be over.

I’ve already checked the date on my phone three times this morning. There’s nothing else I can do aside from facing reality.

“No use to complain if it’s over…”

I convinced myself and looked at the mirror at the door.

My hair and uniform remain the same as the first semester. Just as I’m trying to tidy up my bedhead-

“Are you leaving, onii-sama?”

Step, step, step. Kaju dashed over in her uniform.

“It’s the new semester, after all. I don’t want to be late and stand out.”

I thought of an excuse as I patted Kaju’s head.

“Kaju’s starting a new semester as well. Look out for cars on the road.”

“Alright, take care too, onii-sama.”

Kaju chuckled and looked at me. Then, her personality suddenly turned to that of a caretaker.

“Onii-sama, your tie isn’t right.”

Kaju carefully fixed my tie. My little sister does pay much attention to appearance.

Kaju pinched the tie and stared at my face.

“What’s wrong? Is there something on my face?”

“Is Kaju imagining things? Onii-sama seems a little happy.”

Happy? Uh, even though the troublesome school life is beginning, Kaju has noticed I’m a bit floaty. Don’t tell me this means…

“Of course I’m happy. Kaju cares much about me, even though it’s just the morning.”

That will do. The sweet talk at the beginning of the new semester put a big smile on Kaju’s face.

“Ehehe, onii-sama. Why don’t the two of us elope together?”

“Elope what? I need to go to school.”

With that, I pushed the door open. Kaju chased after me in her slippers.

“Ah, is something wrong?”

“Please stand still, onii-sama. Don’t move. Just look in front of you.”

I heard two clacking sounds behind my right shoulder.

I turned around. Kaju’s holding a flintstone. Her face is brimming with a smile. [TL: Peasants during the Edo period believed that the sparks from flintstone could eliminate dirty things. It’s meant to be a blessing for a safe trip.]

“Have a nice trip, onii-sama.”

*

I went out of Aichidaigaku-Mae Station’s platform. Then, I merged into the stream of people heading toward my school.

Some are chatting with their friends, while others are heading forward boringly like me.

How do they spend time in the classroom? If some people only contact each other now, naturally, there should be people who use many faces at once.

…I decided to put down my depression and slowly detached from the crowd.

I relaxed the tie tightened up by Kaju a little bit. At this point, someone suddenly knocked on my shoulder gently.

“Hello, Nukumizu-san.”

It’s Asagumo-san. She walked next to me. I lowered my head since I didn’t know how to answer her.

“Well, …hello. Good morning."

“Nukumizu-san takes the tram to school as well. I never knew that.”

I don’t exist in all of your eyes, after all.

Just as I’m searching for the proper words, Asagumo-san straightens her back. She faced forward and spoke up.

“Even though a lot has happened, I still managed to explain everything to Mitsuki-san and Remon-san. I think our relationship can continue as always.”

“Good to know.”

I said what I sincerely thought. Then, I looked around and got close to Asagumo-san.

“Wel, …I’ve been wanting to ask you about this.”

“What is it?”

I lowered my voice and continued.

“Did you put a GPS on Yakishio as well…?”

Asagumo-san’s expression didn’t change at all. She faced forward and spoke up.

“Did you know, Nukumizu-san? A small tracker has limited batteries. It can only work for a few days.”

“Oh, I see.”

What is she trying to say?

“How should I describe a non-functional GPS? A tracker or a piece of trash?”

Asagumo-san reaches her finger out and puts it on her chin. She raised her head and looked at me pretentiously.

“Which one do you think it is, Nukumizu-san?”

Isn’t it just a tracker without batteries? I gave up on getting the answer from her and changed the topic.

“…I feel like Asagumo-san is a lot different than my image of you in the cram school.”

“Ara, what’s your impression of mine?”

I bitterly smiled before she even finished her sentence.

We didn’t even talk before. What’s the point of such an impression?

Asagumo-san put her hand on my shoulders. Then, she stood tall and firm before whispering next to my ear.

“Don’t you know? Despite my looks, I’m actually a bad girl.”

“…I know it already.”

Asagumo-san lowered her head and tried to hold in her laughter.

Her chuckles influenced me as well. At this time, someone suddenly smacked my back.

“Chi-chan, Nukkun, good morning!”

Yakishio gave us an energetic greeting.

Her charming smile seems to be saying that nothing is troubling her anymore. I replied to her with a stiff smile.

“Uh, yeah, …good morning.”

“Good morning, Remon-san.”

Yakishio squeezed herself between the two of us.

“You two are together. Nukkun, I’m sorry to interrupt during your happy moment, but I’m bringing Chi-chan away.”

Is her nickname Chi-chan because she’s called Chihaya? It looks like they are closer.

“Of course.”

“…Thank you, Nukkun.”

Yakishio skillfully winked at me and held Asagumo-san.

“Let’s go, Chi-chan!”

“Alright, Remon-san. Well, we’ll be leaving, Nukumizu-san.”

The two of them left me in a blink of an eye.

“Chi-chan, you really don’t mind me going to your house and taking the shampoo you talked about earlier?”

“Of course, I’ve bought extras. Don’t worry about it. I can also tell you how to take care of your hair if you don’t mind.”

…By the way, aren’t these two too close?

Asagumo-san rubbed Yakishio’s hair, and Yakishio didn’t rebel at all. This is indecent. I’m going to need more.

I stared at their backs with full attention. Suddenly, I can hear someone pressing the break of their bicycle next to me.

A tall guy got off the bicycle and approached me.

“Good morning, Nukumizu.”

“Good morning, Ayano.”

Behold, the prime culprit of everything, the dense MC Mitsuki Ayano. By the way, quit appearing one by one. Do you guys think I’m a checkpoint in those stamp races?

“So, what’s with those two?”

“I don’t know. They seem to be close.”

Ayano sighed.

“She spilled all of my black histories to Chihaya. What a girl.”

Oh, I see how it is. All of you are just going to give me diabetes in the morning, right?

Honestly, I’ll be annoyed if this happens again. I guess I can understand how Yanami feels now.

“Good to hear. Well, please don’t drag me into things like that anymore.”

“By the way, Nukumizu.”

Ayano hugged my shoulders.

“Please tell me if there’s someone you have a crush on. I’ll definitely be your wingman.”

Uh, …I don’t want to tell this guy at all.

Moreover, where do I find a person I have a crush on? The faces of the girls next to me appeared in my mind.

…I would prefer a more normal girl if I have to engage in a relationship. The best would be the kind that doesn’t jump out of a phone screen.

Yakishio and Asagumo-san noticed Ayano. They smiled and waved.

“Ah, good morning, Mitsuki!”

“Ara, good morning, Mitsuki-san.”

Ayano waved back as well.

“Good morning, you two. Let’s go, Nukumizu. We should hurry.”

Sorry, but I’m already exhausted because of you guys, and it’s just the morning. Yanami still has some business with me today after school. I can’t handle her if I don’t save up some energy.

“I’ll take it slow. You should go first, Ayano.”

“I see. Well, see you later.”

I watched as the hot dude and his two chicks passed through the gate. Alright, allow me to chill for the rest of the day. I can sit down and meditate once I’m in the classroom. Then, it’s already after school with my eyes half-closed.

“The young man…over there…”

…Hmm? Is someone calling me?

I stopped. There aren’t any familiar faces around. Therefore, I was planning to ignore it and leave.

“…The young man…from the Literature Club…”

“!”

I jumped from the whisper next to my ears.

It’s Shikiya-senpai from the student council. She’s so close that she’s practically sticking to my back. Aside from the glare, her face is even paler than usual.

“Uh, Shikiya-senpai. Is something the matter?”

Shikiya-senpai silently reached her hand out toward my throat.

I went stiff. She used her slim fingers to fix my tie.

“Eh, well.”

“New semester, …tie, …properly, …wear…”

I was frozen due to the sudden development. As for Shikiya-senpai, she let go of her hand apologetically.

“…Sorry, …I seem to have…overstepped my boundaries…”

Uh, what does that mean?

Shikiya-senpai took out something from the knot on my tie. Then, she put it in my palm and made me hold it.

“Well, I…shall leave…”

She gave me a single long, black hair. This is Kaju’s hair. Why is it in the tie?

“I didn’t expect Kaju to be so clumsy.”

I opened my palm. The hair was carried away by the wind. Then, I looked at Shikiya-senpai’s back.

Ah, I still have her handkerchief…

“N-Nukumizu, …w-what are y-you doing in the m-morning?”

“Not again. …No, it’s Komari. Good morning.”

I’m not surprised anymore. Komari appeared next to me on her bicycle. The white safety hat suits her very well. If only she could wear it at all times.

“I don’t know. Shikiya-senpai helped me fix my tie.”

“B-Before that. T-The guy…”

“He’s Ayano from Class D. That one. The one who visited the club before.”

I don’t know if she’s even listening to me. Komari mumbled something.

“A-After the delinquent, …n-now comes the e-elite student…with g-glasses.”

Komari’s eyes are flashing in an eerie way under her safety hat.

Wait, what is she fantasizing about?

“Hakamada isn’t a delinquent. Even though I won’t stop your criminal fantasies, please don’t talk about them in front of others.”

“I-In other words, …i-it’s a secret relationship?”

A switch inside her seems to have turned on. Komari’s face blushed slightly. She raised her head and looked at me with a bright smile.

You look a bit cute. Please stop. This girl’s brain is filled with weird shit, as usual.

“It’s not public nor a secret. I’m getting late. See you.”

I left Komari and walked to the shoe shelves.

Why am I exhausted on the first day of the new semester?

I decided to take the tram early tomorrow.

*

After school, the emergency stairs in the old school building.

It’s September. The heat from the summer is already gone before we come to our realization.

The evening breezes gently stroke my cheeks. Yanami called me here. We’re observing the playground shoulder-to-shoulder right now.

“…So, why didn’t you tell me everything?”

Yanami tore apart the package of the red bean bread she bought from the nearby bakery.

I stabbed the straw through the milk carton box and answered her.

“You didn’t ask me. Think about it. I can’t just tell you like we’re chit-chatting, right?”

“Nope, nope. I’m still involved in this, right? I was totally dragged in.”

Yanami chewed the bread. She put her hands on the railing.

“Whatever, I’ll forget it if the ending is perfect. Remon-chan’s feelings come first, after all.”

The Track and Field Club members start warming up at a corner of the playground.

We can see a tanned girl from afar. She’s being scolded for dashing out on her own.

“Anyway, Yakishio looks pretty energetic. At least we don’t need to worry about her too much at this point, right?”

Yakishio dealt with her problem perfectly. We’re just outsiders in the end.

Whether it’s relationships or jealousy, the only person who can solve these issues is herself.

“By the way, Yanami-san. Didn’t you say you wouldn’t eat snacks anymore?”

Yanami finished the bread. She clapped chicly.

“I win, Nukumizu-kun.”

“I see. Congrats.”

I planned to end the conversation with a half-assed reply since I felt it would get troublesome. However, Yanami ignored me and continued.

“After improving my eating habits, I’ve successfully taken off 250 grams this week.”

250 grams…?

“Isn’t that just an error-“

“That means I’m losing a kilogram a month. In other words, the promised victory is waiting for me.”

…I should quit complaining whenever I can. Therefore, I tried to calm down and stopped thinking before giving her a half-hearted agreement.

“But then I’ve realized something. Doesn’t that mean I’ll lose 12 kilograms a year if this rhythm continues? Won’t that cause issues to your health?”

I think there are issues as well, especially with Yanami’s brain.

Yanami continued her mysterious theory chicly.

“In other words, I have to gain a kilogram every month if I want to keep my eating habits and figure. In a sense, this is reverse thinking.”

“…Wait, you should calm down and think about this. Are you sure your theory is right? Are you sure this is fine?”

Nope, I didn’t manage to keep my cool. Yanami gave me a confident nod.

“Nukumizu-kun, the weight scale won’t lie. Also, let me tell you this. A kilogram of fat has around 7,200 calories. Converting that into cup noodles means you have to eat 20 cups just to get enough.”

Yanami took out another package of bread.

“Ugh, nom, nom, nom, nom.”

Don’t talk while eating. Yanami swallowed a mouthful of bread.

“This is a positive weight loss method supported by mathematical theory. Perhaps I can write a book about it.”

“Please give me an autograph if you do.”

I think the result can be immediately seen on Yanami’s body, especially her stomach.

I sipped the milk as I leisurely observed the playground.

The first day of the second semester is as usual. The holiday mood is destroyed relentlessly. We went back to our routine.

Also, our class teacher Amanatsu-sensei’s hope of finding a boyfriend during the Ghost Festival seems to have died out.

“Come to think of it. Prez has already finished writing the club magazine. We should go to the club after this.”

“Oh, I just got one. Here’s yours.”

Yanami took out a booklet from her school bag.

It’s the finished club magazine. The cover is two guys staring at each other. The clothes are clearly added on later, by the way. Worrisome. What did the first draft even look like…?

I took the club magazine and flipped through it.

“…Tsukinoki-senpai really put that up here.”

I quickly went through page after page. Then, I stopped at one where the paper color was different.

It’s Yakishio’s drawing diary.

The content is about us going to Grandma’s house.

She drew 5 guys and girls sitting in a car. It’s driving toward a fairy tale castle. The coat of arms on its wall should be Tsuwabuki’s school badge.

But Yakishio wasn’t even in the car…

There’s no point in investigating what Yakishio’s thinking. So, I continued turning the pages.

Yanami’s novel is next. Her previous one is a short story based on a plain unrequited love and karaage.

I wonder what she wrote this time. I ignored the author and started reading it-

 

Literature Club Report – Summer Edition

<Saying Good Morning to You> by Anna Yanami

 

This morning, I’m pretending to be reading magazines while observing the opposite of the road through the glass as usual.

The magazine corner of the 7-Eleven on the way to school can see the crossroad perfectly. Obviously, that includes him, who is waiting for the traffic lights to turn green every morning.

I have to greet him today, and then I’ll muster my courage for us to go to school together…

At this moment, I can smell something delicious.

The staff member is yelling, “Fresh smoked sausages!”

I love all of the hot foods in 7-Eleven.

Their smoked sausages are all natural. That powerful crunchiness is its signature. The smoked taste really arouses one’s appetite. The palm-size is perfect for eating one in the morning.

Typically, it’s prepared earlier. However, today’s sausages seem to be fresh.

Right now, he is nowhere to be seen. I quickly lined up before the cashier.

This is the only time you have to line up before the cashier. I can barely contain my excitement. Then, it’s finally my turn.

“One smoked sausage, please!”

“116 yen.”

“Alright. Ah, just right.”

As I was taking money out of my wallet, familiar laughter could be heard from the opened automated door. He’s waiting for the traffic lights with his friends.

Then, it turned green.

“No need to put it inside a paper bag! I’ll just hold it like this!”

I took the sausage. Then, when I was trying to put my wallet back, I realized both of my hands were full.

He’ll leave if this continues.

I hesitated for a moment before biting the sausage horizontally. After that, I barely slipped through the closing automated door and dashed out.

(Warning: Never run with a bamboo stick in your mouth, whether horizontally or not.)

I have to say hi to him.

“OO-kun, good morn-“

I caught the sausage falling from my mouth. My shoulders dropped depressingly as the lights turned red.

He already went past the zebra crossing and departed along with his cheerful friends.

I still…didn’t get to greet him today.

The fresh sausage seems to taste a little bitter for some reason.

*

I closed the magazine after reading Yanami’s novel. I really want to eat sausages for some reason…

“Yanami-san’s novel is quite nice. I can feel your burning passion toward sausages.”

“Really? My effort of going out and tasting them isn’t wasted then.”

Yanami’s expression suddenly turned serious after finishing her second bread.

“Hey, Nukumizu-kun.”

“What’s with the sudden seriousness?”

“…I have a boyfriend now.”

Wut!? What does this sudden confession mean?

“Uh, congrats.”

“No, I don’t have a boyfriend….”

Do you have one or not?

Yanami lowered her head awkwardly.

“I was too flashy on Ins. Now all of my friends know I have a boyfriend now. Everyone says I need to bring my boyfriend to the next gathering…”

“Why not just say no?”

Yanami immediately rejected my idea.

“I can’t. I’ve spent so much effort making them think I have a boyfriend, alright? If I say I don’t have one at that time, doesn’t that mean I’ve been rejected by my boyfriend again?”

“Boyfriend…? Again…?”

Was this girl rejected by a boyfriend? …She’s not mixing things up, right?

I thought about whether a complaint would be helpful. Then, Yanami’s eyes sparkled eerily as she carefully looked at me.

“So, I’ve thought of a solution. Why not just get a pinch hitter?”

“So, you mean a substitute boyfriend?”

“Indeed, won’t I gain face from letting them meet each other?”

So, she wants a fake boyfriend.

Sounds like a rom-com now. I’m suddenly interested in this despite my usual apathy.

“Oh, that sounds fun.”

“Right? So, I have something to ask Nukumizu-kun.”

Me? Don’t tell me she wants me to be her fake boyfriend…?

Half of me thinks I don’t want to deal with this. Another half is slightly impressed because I’ve only seen plots like this in light novels.

“So, …what do you want me to do?”

My head tilted 45 degrees. Yanami approached me.

“Well, I want to ask Nukumizu-kun to-“

“O-Oh…”

Yanami’s face suddenly jumped closer.

“Can you borrow Ayano-kun to me!? He’s handsome and smart. I can’t think of anyone better than him.”

“…Are you serious?”

I don’t even need to hear her answer. It’s because this girl’s eyes show that she’s for real-

I went silent. Then, I put my elbows on the railing and looked at the autumn sky.

The eventful summer is already over.

It’s already the second semester. I should live my days out peacefully…

“Well, Nukumizu-kun. What do you think about that? Can you help me?”

Yanami leans on the railing. She’s giving me a hopeful look.

My answer has already been decided.

I faced Yanami with a gentle smile and spoke up.

“…Yanami-san, how about you get a boyfriend yourself?”


[Vol.4 releasing on October 18th.]



No comments:

Post a Comment