Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Gamers! Volume 11 Chapter 3

Chapter 3 – Gamers and Final Battle

Translator: your_pingas

The day of the final battle came in a flash.

It’s the second Wednesday of March, just a little bit away from White Day.

The after-school Game Club room is filled with a silent yet hot atmosphere.

Of course. After all, right now, in the room-

“Are you kidding me!?”

-Suddenly, Uehara-kun stepped forward. He started complaining and looked around with sweat on his face.

“Isn’t there too many people in the room!?”

“…Ha.”

After hearing that, everyone thought, “he finally said it,” and sighed.

Indeed, …we didn’t bring it up just then. However, right now, the room that can only allow a maximum of 6 people-

-There are 12 people in here. The heat is suffocating.

Uehara-kun sighed deeply and continued.

“Anyway, the girls camp in this battle, …Main Fushiguro-san, Karen Tendou, Chiaki Hoshinomori, and Nina Oiso-san, are supposed to be here.”

Uehara-kun said that and looked at the four girls sitting around the monitor in the center. I nodded and observed around again.

The room today looks a bit different. Some modifications are made for this significant competition. The usual long tables are folded and placed against the wall. The empty middle area is occupied by the largest monitor in the room. The four are standing in front with their controllers. It’s Chiaki, Tendou-san, Main-san, and Oiso-senpai in order.

After that, the 8 audiences are sitting around them in a semicircle. …Well, honestly, it’s guaranteed for us to have to squeeze in such a packed room.

During this time, Uehara-kun suddenly looked at me.

“Also, …it’s okay for Amano to be here since he’s the prize.”

“Hey, can you not say I’m the prize?”

I can’t help but interrupt Uehara-kun.

“Even though it’s related to my ownership, the winner doesn’t have to like me…”

“Eh?”

“Eh?”

Chiaki and Tendou-san turned around and looked at me. Just as I’m feeling dazed, Oiso-senpai, who turned a bit slower, said lazily.

“I was trying to make you clean my house and do laundry…”

“That’s how you’re going to use my ownership!? Eh, don’t tell me Chiaki and Tendou-san are thinking of the same thing!? You want me to do all that, just like Main-san!?”

“…………”

“W-Why are you two looking away!?”

I’m a bit hurt. Suddenly, Main-san chuckled.

“Hoho, such an exciting thought, Amako.”

“M-Main-san, …but, honestly, I feel like I’m Princess Peach waiting for the Mario Bros to come to save me from Bowser. That’s how I trusted Tendou-san and Chiaki…”

“Ah, you thought the main goal was to take something back from the enemy, right? Actually, you planned to do that when you’re betting Agu’s ownership, right. However, …look, look at their eyes.”

Main-san said that and looked at the girl’s camp.

“This isn’t the eyes of Mario coming to save Peach from Bowser. This is-“

Then, …she announced loudly.

“-It’s Wario trying to snatch Peach as a prize away from Bowser.”

“You mean there’s not even one righteous partner here!?”

I’m sweating profusely. …This is the brutal reality.

…Yes, indeed, even if the ownership is transferred to Oiso-senpai. There should be no change compared to when Main-san’s owning me. In other words, right now, …I’m not actually here to cheer anyone up? Am I just Princess Peach looking at Wario and Bowser fighting outside the castle with dead eyes?

Just as I’m staring into nothing, Uehara-kun cleared his throat forcefully.

Come to think of it, he’s only halfway through his complaint.

I took a step back. Uehara-kun continued.

“Well, according to the situation, as you all know, there are only 5 people in this match – the girl’s camp and Amano. They are responsible for this. In other words, they should be in this fight. However…”

Uehara-kun paused for a moment. At the next moment, he screamed in this overpopulated club room.

“What’s with the other people!? Non-club members shouldn’t be here!”

“Hey, Tasuku Uehara, are you really in a position to say this?”

Gakuto Kase-senpai, whose glasses are shining, complained.

“Ugh…” Uehara-kun moaned and took a step back. Kase-senpai continued calmly.

“Everyone aside from the Game Club is outsiders to us. Right, Mizumi?”

“Uh, well, I don’t hate this lively room, though…”

“…Hmph.”

Mizumi-kun was suddenly brought up. He smiled bitterly. Kase-senpai hmphed disappointingly. …Ah, Mizumi-kun is still pretty awkward here.

Mizumi-kun and I exchanged looks to comfort each other. In comparison, Kase-senpai glared at Uehara-kun once again.

“Well, according to what we’re doing today, I’m okay with those 5 you mentioned entering here. However, the other people, …especially you, and the girl that’s your lover, you two have no right to be here, am I correct?”

Kase-senpai’s glasses are sparkling with sarcasm. Uehara-kun is a bit scared.

“No, …well! Aguri and I! We’re in the Game Hobby Club with Amano!”

“So, it’s not the Game Club, you two.”

“Well, aren’t we brother clubs or something!? Especially with Amano as the medium here! Then, when we’re deciding the fate of Amano, …the Game Hobby Club should have observing rights! You agree, Aguri!?”

“Yeah, Tasuku.”

“See?”

Uehara-kun and Aguri-san are having fun. …Ugh, how should I say this? I’m a bit triggered now. “That couple intern is honestly so annoying, right?” I’m getting this feeling.

Of course, Kase-senpai is even more triggered at this first-time-entering-clubroom excitement. He pushed his glasses and made an even more severe warning.

“Get out right now, you two. Sheesh, what do you think this holy Game Club room is…?”

“Ha?”

However, Aguri-san is mad with Kase-senpai’s attitude. The sweet attitude she showed to Uehara-kun disappeared utterly. She equipped my- no, our otakus’ worst fear, “a gal’s despising look.” She soon counterattacked Kase-senpai.

“I’ve been hearing what you’re saying for a while now. What? I mean, Amanocchi’s on the line here. Isn’t the one that’s the least interested and serious glasses-senpai?”

Glasses-senpai. Kase-senpai’s character is entirely destroyed with this nickname. Of course, he couldn’t retort to Aguri-san’s sharp and logical attack. In the end-

“Ugh…! I-I’ll take a hundred steps back and acknowledge you two!”

-He avoided the fight just as usual. Oiso-senpai mumbled in the middle of the room, “How embarrassing.” I’m sorry, Kase-senpai. …That’s the most reasonable point as a Game Club member.

Kase-senpai cleared his throat and covered it up.

His next target is- the junior duo next to me.

“Hey, those two from other schools! Where…did you two come from!?”

Kase-senpai pointed at them with a confused look.

To his complaint, …the two sitting next to me- Kousei Amano and Konoha Hoshinomori-san answered at the exact same time calmly. It’s like they already anticipated it.

“Relatives. You got a problem?”

“What do you mean by you got a problem!? What kind of reason is this!? You think this is a public lecture!?”

Kase-senpai is really pissed with the impolite duo. I sighed helplessly and looked at the little brother and sister that are seemingly guarding me.

“You two aren’t this school’s students. It’s a bit…”

“Yeah!”

For some reason, Uehara-kun suddenly agreed with me. The person that said there are too many people in the room started getting arrogant again.

“It already has nothing to do with the Game Club and Game Hobby Club. You two aren’t even from Otobuki. Isn’t it weird to be here like nothing’s wrong!?”

“Really?”

“Yeah! You guys are really cheeky! Seriously, give some face to your senpai and get out, okay!?”

…Hmm, well, even though he’s unwilling to budge, in a sense, it’s reasonable.

However, these two, …Konoha-san and Kousei, won’t back down with that alone.

The two chuckled like Uehara-kun’s an idiot. They said at the same time again.

“Family relationships are much deeper than friendships in school…!”

“I-I guess so!”

Even though Uehara-kun’s complaining, he looked away after seeing the two’s determined eyes. Then, finally…

“…E-Even so, …no matter what, Mii’s weird to be here. Mii…”

“Yeah, yeah.”

…Finally, Uehara-kun turned to the little girl that looked the weakest. Kase-senpai agreed.

The girls in the room sent despising looks to the guys, considering how embarrassing we are. …What’s wrong? These girls’ aura even gives Mizumi-kun and me enormous pressure, even though we have nothing to do with it! Kousei’s still putting out his usual slightly pissed look!

Among all of this, the little girl who’s suddenly brought up, Mii-chan, she’s calmer than everyone. …Then, she sent the most lethal attack to the guys’ camp.

“No, no, I feel like the weirdest part is the people that actually waste time on this.”

“Uwah!?”

Mii-chan inherited Main-san’s logical spears and sent the guys’ camp straight to the grave.

Kousei suddenly smiled next to me for some reason.

“Hiya, you’re constantly at your A-game, Mii-chan. …I want to learn from you too.”

“W-What are you trying to learn, Kousei?”

My little brother is really unusual these days. What happened? Did he receive some lousy influence? From Main-san…

Just as I’m thinking about that, Main-san yelled “hey” violently. I can’t help but straighten my back.

Main-san showed a disdaining smile on the foldable chair. After that, she turned to the audience and said this to everyone.

“Hey, let’s not waste my time- you excited brats.”

“…………”

Everyone immediately chickened out after feeling her pressure and violent aura.

However, I sighed at Main-san and shrugged.

“My, my, look who’s talking. You’re the one that looks the happiest here.”

Main-san immediately curled up her lips after I pointed it out. She showed an innocent, youth-like smile.

“Oh, you saw it?”

“I saw it a long time ago. Even though I realized it, …can you please not intimidate someone other than Aguri-san, Mii-chan, and me? I mean your devil king aura.”

“Hmm? Stop saying nonsense, Amako. I’m actually the enemy of every single one of you, right?”

Main-san said that as she observed everyone’s faces again. She laughed even more excitedly.

“Ah, sorry, allow me to correct myself. None of you are qualified to be called my enemy.”

Main-san turned back to the screen as if she lost interest.

Right away, even Kase-senpai and Mizumi-kun released their aggressive aura silently, not to mention Konoha-san and Kousei.

…Hiya, you’re a genius! This person is a genius at making enemies! Making people hate her is like breathing to this person!

(Well, but this is just “planting” the seed, right…)

I think she’s trying to cultivate a serious opponent as she did to me before.

“…Sigh.”

Once we snapped out of it, Aguri-san, Mii-chan, and I sighed at the same time. Sigh, I feel we’re parents taking care of a capricious child…

Main-san ignored our worries and completely controlled the mood here.

“Well, let me confirm this for the last time. The next match is an individual battle instead of a team fight. The winner- can obtain Keita Amano’s ownership. No problem? Otobuki High School Game Club president Karen Tendou-san?”

Main-san stared at the blonde high school girl next to her provocatively. However, Tendou-san wasn’t moved by an inch. She answered calmly.

“Yes, no problem. Former Game Club president, Main Fushiguro-san. Also, you get to decide who Amano-kun will be dating if you win.”

Main-san turned to me as she said that. Kousei and Konoha-san immediately took a step forward and glared at Main-san ferociously. …I-I’m happy that you two are stepping up for me. However, I think that’s just her acting. Actually, recently, this person really wanted me to be happy…

Well, I think Main-san will beat me to death if I say that out loud here. So, I won’t explain it. …The actual problem is that the “Keita Amano being happy” in Main-san’s heart is slightly different than my imagination. In this sense, it’s a fact that my future is highly unstable.

“Well, let’s start.”

Tendou-san said that and picked up the controller. The testing screen switched to the title screen of the game.

I can see Aguri-san’s pulling at Uehara-kun’s sleeves.

“Hey, Tasuku. It’s probably super bad timing to ask this right now. …What game is this?”

“What? Aguri, you don’t even know what <Sutoshisu.> is?” [It’s practically the same as Smash Bros.]

“I don’t know. What is that? Is it the most interesting?”

“What do you mean by the most interesting?”

Uehara-kun dropped his shoulder dumbfoundedly. …Yep, Aguri-san really doesn’t know anything about this game. She just came here to accompany Uehara-kun. …Thanks for the work, Uehara-kun.

When Tendou-san pressed the start button and entered the menu, Uehara-kun started explaining it to Aguri-san.

“<Sutoshisu> is a multiplayer combat game. You can have at a max of 4 people on a screen.”

“Oh, that’s affordable.”

“I don’t really understand your feedback. Anyway, let’s continue. The best part about it…is that you can use characters in various games!”

Coincidentally, the screen is displaying the character selection screen just as Uehara-kun is explaining this part excitedly. Every protagonist on there is from famous games.

Looking at this breathtaking scene, Aguri-san can’t help but- hug Uehara-kun.

“…Hey, who are they?”

“Don’t act like you’re a child staying at a distant cousin’s home! Everyone is pretty famous there!”

“I see. …T-Thanks for the work.”

“Distance! You know what, whatever! A-Anyway, you can choose your favorite character to fight from these amazing people. There are some specific rules about the actual combat…”

“Ah, I see. It’s a civic trial, right. Civic trial.”

“That’s too much! Didn’t I say it’s a combat fighting game!?”

“Well, but a couple girls are deciding their love with this game. Isn’t this the most important…”

“What do you mean by that’s the most important!? It’s not a trial! It’s a battle!”

“…This is really the worst situation.”

“Yep, I knew I always lived in a different world than you! Even though it’s a battle, it’s not like there will be bloodshed. Think about the world in <Sutoshisu.>”

“I see. It’s easy to understand. You’re incredible, Tasuku. Unlike some lonely otakus!”

“Oi.”

I can’t help but glare at Aguri-san. She immediately looked away. This gal…!

Uehara-kun cleared his throat and continued the explanation.

“So, the one different thing is that this isn’t based on HP. All of the stages are like floating islands. You lose when you fall or get kicked out of the screen.”

“Uh, …so it’s like a Dohyo ring except the outside is filled with piranhas?” [The ring you see in sumo.]

“Well, that’s a sudden game of death. Honestly, I’m a bit shocked at my ex-girlfriend’s lack of knowledge. But, I think you got the point.”

“So, to put it simply, whoever survives wins, right?”

“Well, …that’s based on the rules. Some allow you to respawn immediately and count points instead. Then, there’s also the battle royale mode Aguri just said. This time is…”

Uehara-kun paused for a moment and continued a bit nervously.

“…It’s battle royale.”

“Hmm? This is not the normal game mode?”

“Ah, …it is. But…”

“People normally play by the point system in <Sutoshisu> since you can revive after dying. So, everyone can always enjoy the game. Also, even if there are some random elements, you won’t immediately lose because of a single match. This rule can reflect your average skill level pretty well. It’s fair and square. However, battle royale…isn’t the same.”

The girls chose their characters and are now selecting the stage. I continued my thought.

(People will lose one by one in a battle royale. Of course, this is actually an interesting and exciting rule. However, honestly, if you’re asking me whether this shows your true skill, I’ll answer no. It’s all over if an overwhelmingly strong character dies in an accident.)

…However, …no, that’s why Tendou-san chose this game mode. In other words…

(She’s throwing everything away to try and beat Main-san in a short time…)

Uehara-kun and I, …no, people who know this game understand that. That’s why this room is filled with an unusual nervousness.

Mizumi-kun is in awe as he’s watching the girls.

“Choosing a one-chance battle royale in such an important fight, …I would never do that.”

It’s not just Mizumi-kun. I bet everyone’s thinking about the same thing.

This will be a short fight, no matter what. That’s why I’m even more nervous than when we were playing <CM>. After all, it’s over when you die. You don’t get to count your total score in the end. The entire thing will be over in something like 3 minutes.

I can’t believe they are betting on some of the most critical stuff in their lives in such a short time. They are already at the athlete level.

(Also, this is even heavier when they trained for a week…)

My stomach is already hurting as the audience alone.

The voltage in the room is slowly increasing when the level is chosen.

Kousei, who was observing the situation, got his face close to my ears and whispered.

“…It’s not just a battle royale. There are also no items, no special mechanics on the stage. It’s just a normal stage. …This condition is way too harsh for Chiaki-senpai, onii-san.”

“…Yeah.”

Honestly, I can’t let this go as well.

Such an environment…is extremely hardcore. No, I think skilled people like Tendou-san, Main-san, and Oiso-senpai are already used to it. But that’s not the same for Chiaki.

Come to think of it, it’s already weird when Chiaki can join these people. Also, Chiaki basically faded into nothing after coming here.

“Onii-san…”

Kousei looked like he wanted to say something. …I know. I should be the one to say this here. This isn’t fair to Chiaki. However…

“It’s okay, Kousei.”

“Onii-san?”

Kousei is confused. However, I looked at Chiaki. …She’s watching the screen fearlessly and determinedly.

“I would be insulting Chiaki if I say that for her right here.”

“…I see. …Yeah.”

“What?”

“It’s nothing.”

Kousei said that as he smiled childishly and innocently. …Even though I don’t get to see it that much, …this is his characteristic gentle smile.

I smiled at my adorable little brother.

Finally-

“Well- let’s begin.”

-The final battle is here with Tendou-san’s declaration.

*

“Onii-san, this is indeed too…”

Kousei is saying this worriedly next to me. My forehead began to sweat.

It’s only been 30 seconds. However, …the difference between the players is already clear to the audience.

(Chiaki’s falling too far behind everyone else…)

Honestly, they are so amazing that casual gamers like us can’t explain it perfectly. Main-san, Tendou-san, and Oiso-senpai’s movement already reached an e-sport player’s level.

Defense, evasion, cancellation, receiving, rotation, dislocation, jumping, diving, these three already mastered the basic movements common to all characters. Aside from that, their character-specific reactions are also carried out at an impressive speed. So, newbie audiences like us can’t tell the tide aside from the percentage below.

However, even so, we still clearly know that…one person, Chiaki, is falling behind.

Honestly, she’s not even worth being the other three’s opponent. It’s not weird for her to be immediately kicked out too. But, ironically, it’s because the other three are letting her live because she’s not worth defeating. As a result, although it’s still a danger if she gets hurt, Chiaki is still trying her best to survive.

Mizumi-kun, who has the smallest skill difference to those three, tried to support Chiaki out and explained.

“Actually, Hoshinomori-san is already an above-average player. That must be the result of the sleepover, right? It’s just that the other three are monsters…”

Aguri-san nodded.

“Ah, those three are amazing.”

“Yes. It’s so amazing that I won’t suspect if you say this is a world competition’s footage.”

“Really? Ah, …who’s leading then? Mizumin.”

“Mizumin…?”

Mizumi-kun froze when he received a sudden nickname. However, he still looked at the screen and said, “Well…” Everyone aside from Aguri-san looked at the screen too. Mizumi-kun announced with a solemn face.

“From my perspective, Main Fushiguro-san and Oiso-senpai are the same. Tendou-san is barely keeping up…”

“I-I see…”

Aguri-san smiled bitterly. …The Game Hobby Club, Konoha-san, and Kousei reacted in the same way.

We wish to cheer Tendou-san and Chiaki up. It’s not just because of my ownership. We just hope they can do well- but the reality is often really harsh.

Main-san laughed cheerfully in the middle of the fight.

“But, I really didn’t expect this! Even though I've heard for a bit in the past, …you’re quite good, Oiso!”

“Thanks, …even though I literally never have heard your name.”

“Yeah, it’s because I don't really play fighting games these days!”

“!”

Main-san said that as she delivered a heavy blow to Oiso-senpai. …This person is really your overwhelmingly strong demon king. Why does a person that “doesn’t really play fighting games” have the same or even higher combat power than Oiso-senpai? …Sheesh.

Oiso-senpai’s character distanced herself and then immediately switched to attacking Tendou-san. At the same time, Main-san continued.

“But, I don’t get it, Karen Tendou!”

“W-What…?”

Tendou-san barely evaded the attacks as she answered. When Oiso-senpai is casually dealing with Chiaki’s character, Main-san pressed on.

“Why aren’t you three ganging up on me? I thought this would be the case. I’m really disappointed, …ah!”

“!”

Main-san’s sharp attack hit Tendou-san. Including the sustained damage, Tendou-san’s character was kicked out of the island.

Aguri-san gasped because she didn't understand the game. Mii-chan’s actually the one to answer her, “It’s still okay, Aguri-nee-chan.”

She looked at the screen happily and explained.

“You’re more likely to be knocked out the more damage you take. However, you can still come back if you put in the effort.”

“The effort?”

“Yes, just like that.”

Mii-chan pointed at the screen. During this time, Tendou-san’s character…either double-jumped or used her ultimate to get back to the island.

Aguri-san understood. “I see.”

“This is different from other fighting games. You don’t lose after taking a certain amount of attacks. Instead, you’re out if you fall off.”

“Like a home run?”

“Yes, yes.”

For some reason, Mii-chan and Aguri-san’s conversation made us smile in this hardcore fight.

Then, Konoha-san cleared her throat and added to Mii-chan’s explanation.

“So, it’s also possible to knock someone out relentlessly when they’re trying to get back, Agu-senpai.”

“Really? Well, is it like blocking the net in volleyball?”

“Yeah, perhaps it’s just that this is even more aggressive. How should I put it? It’s like jumping over the net and blocking the opponent in their zone. Of course, you’re finished if you fall too.”

“I-I see. So, why didn’t Mai-nee knock Tendou-san…”

“Well, it’s because Oiso-san is right behind her. It’s a battle royale, after all. You’ll die if you’re not careful. So, it’s not worth it to continue chasing. …A lot of people die because they try to force a kill in this game.”

“I-I see. …This is different than girls playing a lively game together. I didn’t expect this to be that brutal. <Sutoshisu>…”

“Yes, I rank this as the most possible game to devolve into a real-life fist galore. Just a side note, the other games on this list are <Momotaro Dentetsu> and <Bomberman>.” [It’s a board game that combines Monopoly and Snakes and Ladders.]

Konoha-san smiled after explaining that. I didn’t expect this side of her, so I asked.

“You actually know it, Konoha-san? I didn’t expect you to play these games…”

“What’s wrong, senpai? Why don’t you tell me what games I play?”

“A-Ah, well…”

I can’t say “hentai games” in front of these people, no matter what. Konoha-san enjoyed my awkward face for a while. Then, she looked at her onee-chan, who’s still trying her best to put up a fight. She continued.

“I do play family games too with onee-chan. …This is the same as senpai.”

“Hmm? Really…”

Well, it’s not something weird. Kousei does the same thing too. Even though he’s not particularly a gamer, he does play with his siblings.

…………

I remembered something, but now’s not the time to think about that. I immediately paid attention back to the screen again.

The girls’ battle is getting more intense.

“Hey, hey, what’s wrong, Oiso, Tendou? Is that all the Otobuki Game Club got?”

“Tck…!”

Although Main-san keeps irritating them, the two are still fighting. Then…

“Ahhh….”

…Even though she only took the shockwave from the three’s battle, Chiaki’s accumulated damage is already at the breaking point. I don’t think she can come back after another strong hit.

“…………”

Konoha-san’s eyes are filled with strength as she watches over her onee-chan.

During this time, Uehara-kun is slightly surprised and tells Aguri-san. “However…”

“They are really not going to cooperate.”

“Ganging up on Mai-nee together? But I thought Tendou-san hated cheap tactics like this.”

“Well, picking on the best one is more of a strategy than being cheap. By the way, why did they pick 1v1v1v1?”

“Hmm, doesn’t this make it more possible to take Amanocchi back from Mai-nee?”

“Possible, …well, I guess.”

Uehara-kun watched the screen again. Right now, Oiso-senpai knocked Main-san out. Of course, Main-san came back with her brilliant movements. However, because of that, they took the same amount of damage.

Aguri-san looked at the screen and mumbled.

“Indeed, there’s a slim chance if it’s Oiso-senpai…”

That’s all. Right now, Oiso-senpai and Main-san are on the same level. If that’s the case, according to the situation…

During this time, Main-san continued her mind-boggling controls and kept picking on Tendou-san.

“I see. Even if you can’t beat me, …it’s okay as long as this Oiso wins, Karen Tendou.”

“…………”

“Not ordering someone rudely like me, and also not participating in the love battles around Amako, this Oiso is really the best victor. You gave a lot of thought into this, current Game Club president.”

“…………”

“This is nice. I love- ruining trivial cleverness like this.”

“!”

Main-san’s long-awaited “meaning aura” is here.

At the next moment, Main-san’s character moved supersonically. Is it a bug?

“Wha-“

Everyone is shocked. Main-san’s character- went over to Oiso-senpai’s back brilliantly. So-

“Shi-“

“Too late.”

-Oiso-senpai was sent flying to the sky without any time to react. Her round ended with a one-hit KO.

“…………”

We couldn’t follow up with the tragedy.

Main-san chuckled and explained.

“That’s the bug-like movement skill that originated from this Game Club. Few people know about it. When you’re doing an emergency evasion while using your ultimate, it’s possible to achieve an insane amount of speed and trajectory. …Well, even though it’s only a legendary skill because there’s no way to recreate that in battle.”

“Tck, …even I only know about that…! I didn’t expect anyone to be able to execute that…”

Oiso-senpai mumbled, unwilling to admit defeat. Main-san’s laughing even louder.

“Well, it’s just that you didn’t see it coming. I couldn’t pull it off if you’re aware of it. So, right now, it should be useless to Tendou, right…”

During this time, …Main-san shot a cold and insulting glare at Tendou-san.

“HOWEVER, the largest threat is already neutralized. There should be no problem, right?”

“!”

Tendou-san bit her lips tightly to the declaration that practically said the rest of the time is just garbage.

“Who knows!”

Her eyes are still burning with determination. Main-san looked at her and smiled, “Not bad.”

So, the remaining two are about to start the final battle-

“Oho, before that.”

“Uh?”

-That moment.

When everyone’s not noticing-

It’s literally like an accident.

The demon king-sama, the demon king-sama that grasps everything. The weakling at the side-

-which is Chiaki’s character. She knocked her out with a sudden attack.

“--!”

At this moment, even Tendou-san’s face turned stiff, not to mention Chiaki.

Chiaki immediately tried to make a comeback. As for Tendou-san, as if she’s avenging her- she attacked furiously with the window caused by Main-san attacking Chiaki.

“AHHHHHHHHHH!”

“Oh, nice, I love this momentum! It reminds me of- Amako in the past!”

So, with Chiaki’s defeat, the two hardcore gamers are about to start their final battle.

Also, Chiaki tried her best and didn’t get one-hit KOed like Oiso-senpai.

However, that just makes it even sadder.

“…Eh, eh, eh.”

“…………”

This is a hopeless distance, no matter what. -Chiaki’s character is struggling with all her might outside the main screen. There has to be a small screen to show that.

…Honestly, I can’t see it anymore. It’s like watching a Koshien high school player trying his best to throw the ball back to home base even though he can’t make it.

I can’t watch her anymore.

On the other hand, Main-san and Tendou-san’s battle is reaching the climax.

“Damn…!”

-Tendou-san was knocked out by Main-san’s defensive attack.

Even though it’s not as lethal as Chiaki and Oiso-senpai, she’ll lose if she falls.

Of course, she immediately started to make her way back to the island, however- at this moment.

“It’s time to end this.”

“!?”

Main-san jumped off the island to pursue Tendou-san. She’s trying to strike Tendou-san down while ignoring her safety.

“Ah, this is what it means to block the net- she’s striking someone down viciously!”

Aguri-san remembered the explanation and yelled. At the same time, Main-san is slowly closing her distance to Tendou-san.

So, Main-san showed a devilish smile and struck Tendou-san- at that moment.

“-That’s what I’ve been waiting for!”

A flash of light sparkled in Tendou-san’s eyes. She used her ultimate strategy to return to the island- nope, the miracle didn’t happen.

-Instead, she threw out an energy ball that knocked her even further out of the island.

“Ha!?”

Main-san froze for a moment because of her illogical choice. However, the demon king-sama is incredible. She immediately canceled her ultimate and dodged Tendou-san’s energy ball.

“Hey, hey, Karen Tendou. That’s not even a bad strategy. You’re literally just suiciding.”

Main-san shrugged helplessly and sighed. I think it’s because she’s genuinely disappointed. Even the mood of the audience got heavy. Then, Main-san continued.

“You disappoint me-“

-However, Main-san stopped. After that…

“-----“

All of us are holding our breaths too.

To ask why-

It’s because for some reason, right there- on the screen of the two’s aerial battle-

A being that’s no place to be here-

-Another character showed up from outside the screen.

“…………”

When everyone and Main-san are shocked, this character-

“Ah.”

-She stepped on Tendou-san’s character’s head.

With her as a jumping board, she then-

-She finally and brilliantly jumped on Main-san’s character’s head.

“----“

At this point, Main-san finally saw something wrong and tried to react- but it’s too late.

She’s already going to take this ultimate.

Main-san can’t do anything aside from sweating from her forehead.

“HEY, HEY, DID YOU SERIOUSLY JUST GET BACK FROM THAT DISTANCE-“

Finally, she called the true hero’s name that’ll bring her the final attack.

“---CHIAKI HOSHINOMORI!”

Completing the miraculous recovery that no one expected, our hero of light said…

“That’s me.”

At the next moment, the weakest girl’s ultimate landed on the strongest demon king in history’s head.



Karen Tendou

The first time I noticed Chiaki-san’s gaming style was around two weeks ago -on the day of that kiss.

Honestly, that day’s goal is to find a game that can be used to defeat Main Fushiguro-san.

Then, Chiaki-san, Amano-kun, and I moved together. Of course, Chiaki-san played with me a couple times too.

So, my first impression of her gaming skills are-

“Yep, she’s indeed at the same level as Amano-kun.”

-That. Well, which means that…she sucks. (I’m sorry, Amano-kun, Chiaki-san.)

It’s just that I anticipated this. After all, these two are practically clones.

It’s just that I didn’t expect one thing. That is-

-There’s a slight difference in why they are not good at it.

Honestly, both of them aren’t talented in gaming. Aside from that-

Amano-kun will always give up victory because he emphasizes having fun.

Meanwhile, Chiaki-san will always spend effort on weird places and lose.

If we’re comparing this to cooking, Amano-kun is the type to focus on the appearance of the bento (making cartoon pictures with the ingredients). As for Chiaki-san, she’s the type to hide plums inside rice balls.

Chiaki-san often does a lot of unexpectedly unnecessary things. This is different from Amano-kun, who enjoys spending time on the entertainment part.

I think that’s because she’s a creator.

Anyway, when Chiaki-san’s playing games, I always can’t help but complain, “Why did you do that in that situation!?”

…Ah, no, perhaps that’s not just for games.

…Even that day’s kiss is-

…Ahem! B-Back to the topic.

Anyway, Chiaki-san doesn’t have a particular playstyle or follows a certain meta.

…However, that’s not totally a bad thing.

It’s more like, including me, all professional players do something like this, more or less.

Especially when it comes to developing new metas and strategies.

So, I suddenly thought of something after knowing this side of her.

Chiaki-san, …perhaps she does have a secret “weapon” that not even she knows of.

In the end, I didn’t manage to ask her about it because of that shocking incident.

So, things started changing 2 days after that.

On that day, Chiaki-san bumped into me while we’re still affected by that kissing incident. Our hands touched when we’re grabbing the game in the second-hand area. That’s how we met, strangely.

That game is <Sutoshisu.>.

So, I followed my strange instincts and half-kidnapped her back home. I brought her to my room and battled with her…

At that moment, my instinct turned into reality.

Yes, Chiaki-san does have a secret weapon.

That’s a secret weapon that not even Main-san knows, and that is-

“The return strategy developed by Chiaki Hoshinomori that no one on the net knows…”

“Yes, that’s why she could return from that distance. Surprised you, right?”

“Indeed. I didn’t expect it at all. …I lost, Chiaki Hoshinomori.”

“A-Ah, well, thanks…”

It has been around 10 minutes after that legendary battle, which resulted in Chiaki-san’s victory.

After the audience calmed down, …right now, Main-san, who showed an uncharacteristically admiring face, begged me to explain that situation. Also, the players stood up and turned around to talk to everyone.

After listening to me, Main-san said, “I see.” She stroked her chin and nodded in interest. As for the audience that heard us, Aguri-san raised her hand and yelled, “I have a question.”

She immediately asked after Chiaki-san and I looked at her.

“Why is Hoshino so good at that returning thing?”

“Ah, that’s because-“

“That’s because I’m wrecking onee-chan every day.”

Chiaki-san’s little sister Konoha-san interrupted and answered Aguri-san’s question.

She continued a bit awkwardly.

“Honestly, onee-chan and I’ve always played <Sutoshisu>.”

“Really? Ah, that’s why Hoshino can keep up, despite being a weakling.”

“I-I think someone said something mean about me!”

Chiaki-san interrupted angrily after hearing Aguri-san.

“Despite my looks, I’m pretty confident with <Sutoshisu.>! Konoha and I started playing it when we’re young, after all!”

“Eh, really? Ah, in other words, Hoshino’s <Sutoshisu> is like Amanocchi’s <CM>. Both of you poured your heart and soul into the games, right?”

“Yes, yes!”

Chiaki-san puffed up her chest and hmphed in satisfaction. Konoha-san and Aguri-san smiled at each other bitterly before continuing.

“Well, that’s all. So, onee-chan often plays <Sutoshisu> with me. …However, did you notice something here?”

“Hmm?”

“My number of battles is basically the same as onee-chan. -In other words?”

“Ah, well, the elite Konokono must be better. This must be it.”

“Yes.”

“Hey-“

Everyone nodded. Only Chiaki-san is protesting in disatisfaction. However, Konoha-san ignored her onee-chan and continued.

“So, basically, I always knock out onee-chan. …After that, I’m not satisfied because I win too easily. However, onee-chan seems to want to play with me, no matter what. In the end…”

“Ah, so Hoshino is only good at returning, right. …Eh, what’s with this pathetic description. I’ll cry if I’m at home.”

“Hey! Can everyone please don’t pity me!?”

Chiaki-san’s protesting even more vehemently, but it doesn’t work. …Everyone is giving her sympathetic looks. …It must be hard for her. …I can’t help but hug Chiaki-san tightly the first time I heard it.

Chiaki-san is moaning embarrassedly. Aguri-san seems to feel a bit guilty. So, she threw another question and changed the topic. “W-Well.”

“In the end, what did Hoshino and Tendou-san do in the stayover? Hoshino should’ve already known that disgusting combo, right?”

“D-Disgusting combo…”

Chiaki-san dropped her shoulders after hearing the usual mean remarks.

I answered the question for her.

“Ah, that’s just to improve Chiaki-san’s basics. If Chiaki-san was still at that level, she would’ve been destroyed before using that perverted return strategy…”

“Perverted…”

Even though Chiaki-san’s the winner, she’s getting more and more depressed.

Aguri-san backed down after saying, “I see.” This time, Kase-senpai raised his hand uncharacteristically. Senpai pushed his glasses and asked after I looked at him.

“Why are you helping Chiaki Hoshinomori? It should be faster for you to learn her weird return strategy, right?”

“Weird…”

Chiaki-san’s finally trembling with a face as red as a tomato. …I don’t think that’s how we should treat a winner.

Anyway, I answered Kase-senpai’s question first.

“Yes, of course, I tried to train for that too—her return skill. Well, …that’s why I need a way that normal people can’t achieve in a week. …Instead of saying that’s a skill, it’s already like magic to me.”

“Magic…!”

Chiaki-san freaked out after hearing what I said. She bit her tongue with teary eyes. …Hiya, she’s adorable.

Just as I’m enjoying my adorable partner, suddenly, …Nina-senpai, who has been observing dazedly, got right into the chase.

“Hey, well, in the end, why did Tendou let Hoshinomori win?”

“…………”

Nina-senpai threw out the question on everyone’s head cold-heartedly. …Sheesh, she has always been like this.

I can feel everyone’s immediately turning to me, …especially Amano-kun. His glance is twice as heavy as the others.

I hesitated for a moment. Main-san continued Nina-senpai’s question to adjust the mood.

“I’m also pretty curious, too, Karen Tendou. What…are you planning to do, hmm? I’ll- get Amako a Pawnee haircut if I don’t like your answer.”

“Why!?”

Amano-kun is suddenly under attack and freaked out. …I can’t help but smile after seeing his startled face.

(I see. I think I can slightly understand why Amano-kun isn’t badmouthing Main-san.)

This person is a tornado, whether good or bad, right. …She can blow up all the pollution as well.

“Come, Karen Tendou, answer me. If you’re not going to answer, …your ex-boyfriend will attack the village, okay?”

“A Pawnee haircut, and I’ll end up in a post-apocalyptic world!? By the way, apologize to those who have a Pawnee haircut!”

“Shut up, you’re annoying, Poniko.” [Pawnee = Poni]

“My nickname got changed!? T-Tendou-san, can you please answer quickly!?”

“Eh? Ah, sure…”

I was urged for some strange reason.

I cleared my throat and faced Main-san again to explain.

“First of all, Main-san should know the best since you’re here, …that ultimate is Chiaki-san and my plan all along- that wasn’t true at all, right, Chiaki-san?”

“Y-Yes!”

Chiaki-san nodded repeatedly. Main-san scratched her head and said, “I do know that.”

“That miraculous flow can’t be pulled off by sheer will alone.”

“Yes.”

“However, at the same time, this is what I’ve been thinking. That- can’t be explained with luck alone, right.”

Main-san’s eyes got sharper. I looked at her and nodded.

“Yes, I admit that too. We practiced that stomp many times during the sleepover. However, I didn’t expect this to really go that way…”

“I see. You’re saying that this is just a miracle based on that particular situation.”

“Yes.”

“…In other words, you didn’t join this thinking that you’ll let Chiaki Hoshinomori win?”

“Of course, I, Karen Tendou, will always play a game with the absolute will to win.”

I answered a bit angrily. Unexpectedly, Main-san apologized sincerely.

“Ah, sorry, I was being impolite. Forgive me, Karen Tendou.”

“Ah, w-well…”

Her unusual apology halved my anger.

However, Main-san immediately returned to her usual expression and gazed at me.

“That’s why I don’t understand. Karen Tendou, …you’re more sincere to games than everyone else. So, you should have an unimaginable amount of love for Amako as an ex-girlfriend, right?”

“…Yes.”

I put my hand on my chest and clenched it determinedly.

Then, Chiaki-san and Amano-kun held their breaths as they listened to our conversation.

Main-san squinted her eyes. …She’s releasing an unprecedented amount of pressure.

“That’s why…I have to ask you. What are you planning to do, Karen Tendou?”

“!”

Main-san’s aura suddenly changed.

“At that time, if you’re just doing it for your own sake, …even if you can’t defeat me, you won’t let the worst opponent- rival Chiaki Hoshinomori obtain the ownership of your loved one. Am I correct?”

“…Well-“

“Why did you choose to let…your rival, Chiaki Hoshinomori, win?”

Main-san’s forcing an answer out of me with her emotional tone.

Her overwhelming pressure is sending chills to everyone’s spine.

(This is Main-san’s…serious questioning that Amano-kun brought up before…)

After seeing her like this, I can understand her arrogance a bit since that’s her character. Amano-kun isn’t really that scared of the usual her anymore. On this side, …her serious mode’s pressure is orders of magnitudes higher.

(This means that she’s seriously…questioning me, Karen Tendou…)

I don’t understand the reason at all. However, I’m afraid it’s because of what I did. …Giving your loved one to another person must’ve triggered this Main Fushiguro.

In an overwhelming silence, I gulped and-

(But, …there’s something I can’t back down on too!)

I puffed up my chest- and explained legitimately.

“It’s because- that’s the best.”

“…Eh?”

Perhaps she didn’t expect this answer. Main-san’s pressure disappeared as she bulged her eyes. Looking at her, I-

-My eyes are sparkling as I continued excitedly!

“It’s because that’s Chiaki-san? That’s Chiaki Hoshinomori-san!? The girl at the same level with Amano-kun- which is a complete weakling, Chiaki Hoshinomori-san!”

“Hey…”

Amano-kun and Chiaki-san look like they want to complain. But, now’s not the time for that!

I continued excitedly to Main-san!

“That Chiaki Hoshinomori-san…rushed into a battle filled with strong opponents. Right now, she’s about to attack the strongest demon king-sama! Seeing that situation, …there’s no way for me to just stop what she’s about to do, right!? Right!? Main Fushiguro-san!? RIGHT!?”

“Eh, hmm? Well, I…think the best thing to do is to choose a way that’s the easiest to win…”

“You’re saying that you won’t let it happen!? Even though all of the elements are there!? You’re saying that you’re still putting your victory as the first priority!? ARE YOU SURE!?”

I got closer and closer to her and stared into her eyes.

“…Well.”

Main-san looked away slightly awkwardly. During this time, the two relatives around her mumbled a bit admiringly.

“…This is the first time I see Mai-nee freaking out.”

“…Me too.”

They bulged their eyes as if they saw supernatural things.

I continued to Main-san.

“Yes, yes, Main-san! Your greed to victory! That’s an attitude for an elite gamer, right! It’s worthy of praise! You’re incredible, former Game Club president! I can do nothing but admire you!”

“Ha? I-I think I was suddenly praised. I, …well, me.”

Main-san’s clearly confused.

I chuckled.

“…However, Main-san. While I do respect you, right now, …I can’t help but think that-“

“What…?”

At this point, I secretly glanced at those annoying, twisted, and lonely boys.

A tinge of warmth appeared in my chest. I expressed my feelings with confident sincerity.

“Enjoying a game is just as important as winning.”

“…………”

After hearing my conclusion, everyone- especially Amano-kun, smiled.

The Game Club room is filled with the warmest atmosphere of today.

However, of course, only Main-san laughed at my conclusion like a demon king.

“Ho, it sounds like what an innocent Amako would say. Sheesh, …and you just have to be my kouhai as well. I can’t believe the Otobuki Game Club president would say that. The next generation is screwed…”

Main-san’s still complaining viciously.

I apologized, …but, actually, I noticed it.

I noticed that her anger disappeared. Also, I realized that even though she sighed at my naïve conclusion, she didn’t completely reject it.

Anyway, the room is filled with a lively mood.

-That glasses-senpai, who’ve been commented as not being able to read the mood, mumbled dazedly as usual.

“-Even so, it’s a fact that Tendou lost and Chiaki Hoshinomori acquired Keita Amano’s ownership.”

“…………”

Then, facing the suddenly coldhearted reality, all of the relaxed, happy end feeling I stored up disappeared completely.

Everyone dropped their jaws. …As the Game Club president, I, Karen Tendou, hugged my head tightly and yelled!

“NO! WHY ARE YOU SAYING THAT NOW!?”

“Hey, aren’t you just regretting this like a normal person right now!?”

Main-san fell speechless and looked at me, even though I convinced her a while ago.

I yelled at her with teary eyes!

“Why did you lose to Chiaki-san, ex-president!? Are you really the final boss!?”

“You’re already insane for pushing the responsibility onto me! Chiaki Hoshinomori only won because of your cooperation, right!?”

“Aren’t you the final boss that far exceeds our imagination!? Where’s your second and third form!?”

“This is my final form! You’re annoying, kouhai!”

Main-san stared at me helplessly. Finally, she comforted me in a very not final boss way.

“Also, well, Chiaki Hoshinomori just took Keita Amano’s ownership away from me. That doesn’t mean any of you have won-“

“Hey, in terms of love, stuff like ownership- doesn’t that mean the same thing as his body?”

“NO!?”

Nina-senpai just threw that possibility that everyone had thought of slightly but is too embarrassed to say it out. She easily accomplished something that not even us can do. There’s no hesitation or embarrassment too. I’m just irritated now.

Konoha-san’s a bit excited when I’m falling into chaos.

“Right, right! Hiya, this is exciting! Even though I love pre-marital sex, I also love the scary feeling of having sex before the relationship is matured. Uh, it’s nothing. Yes, please don’t mind.”

Konoha-san suddenly snapped out of it and wiped her mouth. Kousei-kun looked at her with an extremely disgusting look and mumbled, “Damn you, rotten hentai girl.” During this time, Uehara-kun finally grasped the situation and started talking.

“Hey, calm down, Tendou. Come to think of it, if it’s really like what Nina-senpai said, Amano should’ve already been stained by Main-san…”

“Ah, r-right…!”

What Uehara-kun said cheered me up again. However, at the next moment, an unexpected ambush got me. It’s the little girl- Mii Fushiguro.

“Ah, come to think of it, …Mom did ask me how hard Keita-nii-chan’s bed is, right?”

“NO! SHE’S OBVIOUSLY GOING TO DO IT!”

Finally, I started swinging my blonde hair crazily. Main-san looked at Mii and mumbled something.

“…Well, it was really just a simple question. …But, I like this too since it’s fun.”

I think she said something important, but I can’t hear it right now.

I’m really depressed. Aguri-san seems unable to stand this anymore and stepped forward.

“So? In the end, Hoshino, what are you going to do with Amanocchi’s ownership?”

“Eh? W-Well, I, uh…”

Chiaki-san looks a bit startled when she’s suddenly brought up. After she carefully observed around, she faced Main-san and me…before lowering her head a bit embarrassingly.

“Well, …it’s something hard to say to Karen-san…”

“HA!? It’s his body, right!? You’re craving for Amano-kun’s body, Chiaki-san! Tck, you bitch!”

I bit the handkerchief I used to wipe my tears. Blood began to drip from my eyes.

Chiaki-san blushed. “N-No, it’s not like that!” She denied.

Then, she looked around again.

Finally, she faced Amano-kun and cleared her throat. She raised her right hand as if she’s an athlete doing an oath. After that…

“I, Chiaki Hoshinomori, hereby declare that-“

…She said a conclusion that’s impossible to come out of a winner’s mouth after several days of grinding and a miracle.

“-I declare that I’ll return Keita Amano’s ownership to himself.”

She’s a bit embarrassed, …but she meant it.


Chiaki Hoshinomori

It’s been around 20 minutes since the end of that battle of the century.

Right now- for some reason, I’m sitting on the last row of the bus with Keita. There’s practically no one here.

I’m watching the Otobuki High School getting farther and farther with a web of complicated emotions. As for Keita, he sat next to me and chatted with me with an unprecedented amount of excitement.

“By the way, I didn’t expect Chiaki to have that talent!”

“Hey, I’ve already said this many times. That’s thanks to Karen-san’s help. How many times do I have to explain it until you understand!?”

“Even so! At least that unique return combo belongs to Chiaki, right?”

“Uh, well, yeah…”

“That’s still amazing! It’s because this means that Chiaki has a secret attack that not even Main-san can imagine!?”

“Maybe, but…”

“I’m saying that’s an amazing talent! You’re really creative, NOBE!”

“U-Ugh…”

Keita’s eyes are shining. He’s in his passionate fan mode now and keeps praising me at such a close distance. Moreover, since the seats are pretty narrow, I can’t help but feel his body temperature when his arm touches mine. It’s just making me even more embarrassed.

(Ah, I guess you can say this as a reward…!)

My most beloved boy is praising me extremely closely.

That’s like winning the lottery. …However, regrettably, for a useless girl like me, I can’t handle such an amount of happiness at all.

It’s because if you compare a normal girl’s happiness capacity as a draft beer cup, mine is like Yakult, okay!? Even if you pour that much happiness champagne, I’ll have no idea what to do. [Yakult’s 100 mL / 3.5 oz.]

Anyway, I looked away from Keita to avoid being poisoned by happiness.

Amidst the garden scenery filled with snow, I can see the tiny Otobuki standing out.

…I just achieved victory in that building’s classroom 20 minutes ago. Then, I kicked away the rewards of winning. I’m not trying to act cool there. Instead, I think that’s the best for everyone, so I did it. Also, in reality, everyone gave me a round of applause. It’s indeed an ideal ending screen.

…This feeling lasted until the demon king turned everything around.

(I didn’t expect Main-sama to be so pissed…)

Following Karen-san’s choice to relinquish the ownership, even that annoying demon king-sama, …Main Fushiguro, was triggered by me.

She sent an overwhelming amount of pressure on me and said, “You really dared to say that!” However, there’s something I don’t want to back down on too. So, I puffed up my chest and stared at her. In the end, Main-san suddenly shrugged helplessly and sighed.

“Whether it’s Amako, Karen Tendou, or you, all of you are too stingy. It’s not adorable at all.”

Even though she said that, Main-san looked very happy.

So, I was relieved- and that was when I made a mistake.

Just as we were letting our guard down, as if she predicted this moment- she suggested this.

“Even so, it’s not good to not give the winner any reward. That’ll make our competition meaningless. So, Amako, you’re walking seaweed head home today. Got it, you two?”

“Ah, sure. -What?”

-So, that’s where I ended up with…

(Ah, by the way, when she’s looking at Keita and me leaving, Karen-san’s smile…always sends chills down my spine, no matter how many times I think about it!)

On the surface, that’s a mature smile for understanding her female friend is leaving with her ex-boyfriend. -It looks like that. However, I can understand since I had a sleepover in her house for a week. That smile…is the same as the smile Karen-san gives when she sees an arrogant foreigner in an online game chatroom! …Ah, also, 10 minutes later after that, the foreigner-

“Tck, …tck, …sheesh, …you crazy Japanese people. …Tck.”

That was all he could say. 

“Tck, …oh, …Karen-san, …tck.”

“Hmm? Chiaki, why are you mumbling to yourself? Your eyes look pretty dead.”

“…It’s nothing.”

Hiya, I’m glad that the sleepover is finished. I’ll really suicide on the train if I still have to return to Karen-san’s home today.

Let’s put all of that aside first. Anyway, thanks to Karen-san, my excitement toned down for a bit.

I looked at Keita after adjusting my breath. However…

“…………”

“Chiaki? What’s wrong?”

“Uh, …well.”

…Of course, I calmed down. But, this time, I started to notice how physically close we are. Logically, that reminded me of what happened a couple days ago…

“Why are you looking at my lips? Ah, is there something on there- ah?”

“…Ah.”

The worst part is that perhaps it’s my reaction. Unexpectedly, he’s not dense enough to not remember what happened too. Finally…

“…………”

A bittersweet mood surrounded the two blushing souls. …I-I didn’t really hope for this. It’s just because, as I said before, my capacity is too small. I can’t handle all these feelings at once.

Only the snowy scenery outside is rushing past us in this awkward silence.

…During this time, Keita’s the first to act to remove this awkwardness.

“B-But, honestly, is it okay for Chiaki to give up my ownership?”

“Hmm? You mean?”

I asked. Keita continued. “Think about it.”

“Isn’t it great to order me around like Main-san?”

“I’m not planning to order you around, man. …Also, with such poor abilities, Keita is just a useless servant, right.”

“That’s mean.”

“Also, I can do whatever Keita can since we’re the same…”

“B-But, there must be something I can do, or you want me to do, right…”

“Eh? W-Well, …uh, there is…”

I scratched my cheeks. Then, Keita’s eyes brightened up, and he got close to me. “See?”

“Even though it’s not Main-san, giving me my ownership back without asking for anything else…is slightly embarrassing for me as a guy.”

“R-Really?”

“Yes! So, at least for today, I’ll do anything Chiaki says! Think about it, is there something you want me to do? So, go ahead. There’s no need to be polite!”

Keita kept asking for my wish. He’s as excited as the spirit inside a magic lamp.

Looking at him, I…

“Eh, b-but, w-well, u-uh, …i-it’s because…”

…My face flared up. My kneecaps can’t stop shaking.

I can’t help but…express my feelings with a nearly silent voice.

“…I did think about what Oiso-senpai said early, so…”

“Hmm? What Oiso-senpai said was, …ah. My bod-“

Keita blushed again. After that…

“…………”

…Here comes the new and even more bittersweet time again.

However, unlike the previous one, I tried my best to explain!

“B-But, even though I’m thinking in that direction, I’m not going to do whatever you’re thinking right now!”

“Yeah, I know what you want to say, …I think. Maybe…you want to hold hands or something?”

“Yes! That’s it! I’m not asking anything more than that from you!”

“I-I know!”

“Yes! I just want things like hand holding, hugs, and head pats!”

“Yep!”

“Also, …ah, right, I want you to kiss me!”

“Eh?”

“Eh?”

…………

Yes, this is the third bittersweet moment of the day. It’s just that…I can barely taste the sweetness anymore. It’s just bitter. Both of us trembled embarrassingly.

I wrapped my hands around my head embarrassingly and forced an answer.

“I-In other words, …it’s okay. Here’s your ownership.”

“Ah, uh, …yes. T-Thanks…”

“Y-You’re welcome…”

We plopped our heads down again.

At this point, …I can’t help but smile again. Keita’s a bit confused.

“I feel like…I’m Karen-san right now.”

“Ha? Like Tendou-san? What does that, …ah, …right.”

Keita noticed what I wanted to say and started chuckling.

“Indeed. That…feeling of giving up your advantage for strange beliefs. That does feel like Tendou-san.”

“Right?”

“Hmm, she influenced Chiaki during the sleepover, right?”

“Maybe. At the sleepover, I noticed how interesting…Karen-san is again.”

“Hmm, yeah. Tendou-san is always interesting. …She has always been.”

Keita said that as he glanced faraway belovingly.

…………

I looked at his face for a while.

Then, without any hesitation, I confessed to him smoothly.

“Keita, I-I love you. …I love you just as much as Karen-san loves you.”

“…………”

This time, the mood didn’t turn bittersweet.

To my confession, …Keita showed me his warmest and most gentle expression.

“Yes, thank you so much. I mean it.”

“…You’re welcome.”

Why in the world am I appreciated here? I…I’m just saying the feelings I have for him as another girl. …It has always been like this since I confessed under the starry sky.

Even though this love I have for him- only causes nothing but troubles for Karen-san and him.

However, …even right now, I don’t see the slightest bitterness on Keita’s face. Instead, he answered my feelings directly.

He looked into my eyes calmly.

“You’re incredible, Chiaki.”

“Are you still talking about the game? I think we can move on already…”

“No, I’m talking about you. You, including your gaming style and attitude, …that’s why you can defeat the demon king when Tendou-san and I couldn’t.

“…What are you talking about?”

“Yeah, I wonder what I’m talking about as well. I don't even know it. …I guess I’m saying I respect Chiaki, …and NOBE sincerely from the bottom of my heart.”

Keita spoke calmly and refreshingly. However, looking at him, I can’t help but look away like I’m throwing a tantrum.

“…I don’t want Keita to respect me at all.”

“…Hmm, well, …I understand. …I should say this properly.”

Keita mumbled to himself and scratched his cheeks dazedly.

“…So, let’s make a promise again.”

“What promise?”

To my question-

Keita…stared into my eyes and announced.

“On the day after tomorrow, which is White Day -I’ll confess all the feelings I have for Chiaki.”

His eyes are filled with a sheer amount of determination.

I also- answered with the determination to accept everything.

“Okay, …I understand. I’ll also look forward to it.”

“Yes…”

So, here comes the countless times of silence today.

It’s not sweet. It’s not sour. …However, it’s definitely not bitter as well.

We’re enveloped in silence, as calm as the snow outside.

…Yes.

“Hey!? Eh, uh, Chiaki…!?”

“Hey. …I-I think I can look forward to something at this level, …right?”

“…Yeah, go ahead.”

“..Well, well.”

After I said that- I leaned my head on Keita’s shoulder lightly once again.

For a moment, I can feel his scent.

His shoulders are stiff due to nervousness. Honestly, it’s not comfortable, even if I put it politely.

I can feel his body temperature from where we touched.

I can also feel his calm breathing. It seems to be making me sleepy.

Also- our resonating heartbeat.

“…………”

Inside the bus warmed by heaters-

I can feel such a blessed moment that I may break into tears.






Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment