Friday, December 11, 2020

Gamers! DLC Chapter 5

Chapter 5 – Ayumu Kiriya and Deceiving Cheats

Translator: your_pingas

“Jiraiya’s playing this game today! The masterpiece of open-world games, <Infinite Space>!”

“…Oh, I see.”

In comparison to my exciting live stream introduction, Jiraiya, which is Keita Amano, held his cheeks on the kotatsu, and answered lazily. He just randomly pressed buttons on the controller. I can’t sense any will to play from the person.

It’s early December. Aside from the kotatsu, oil-filled heaters finally entered the scene too. In Ayumu Kiriya’s apartment, this is the first recording after Keita Amano got back from the school trip. (Keita still thinks that this is just a demo experience) However…

I looked at Keita’s clearly unmotivated face and sighed deeply.

(This guy showed up in my house with an obviously depressed look. …He got even worse when he’s facing the game screen.)

I shrugged helplessly. Then, I clicked on the PC and muted the mic that’s supposed to be recording.

(I can’t record a video when he’s like this…)

In reality, nothing is more upsetting to watch than a poor video made by a depressed live streamer.

The audience didn’t play the video to watch stuff like that. Even so, …Keita didn’t do anything since he doesn’t know this. This is where I have to show my care for him. I need to cheer Keita up first. …Of course, that’s just not for the live stream. This is what I should do as a friend too.

I turned my computer chair from the TV screen to Keita’s direction. After that, I chugged all of the canned coffee at once and asked him.

“What’s wrong, Keita? Does your stomach hurt? It looks like you’re not drinking the coffee either…”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

He gained his senses back and put down the controller. Then, he grabbed his unopened coffee and threw it around his hands meaninglessly. …It looks like he has it pretty bad.

He took a deep sigh and turned to me before sitting upright again.

“Sorry, …I got the chance to come to bother you, yet this happened.”

“Uh, I’m not mad at you. It’s just that, well, this is the same everything. …The so-called entertainment, there’s no need to force yourself to do it when you’re not feeling it, right?”

“Well, …you’re right. …Sorry, I was being impolite to gaming as well.”

He held his canned coffee tightly and looked at my eyes again as he continued.

“So, this is to wipe out all of my cowardly emotions. Kiriya-sama, since you’re an experienced university student, there’s something that I want to talk to you about…”

“O-Okay, ask me anything. I’ll answer you since I’m older.”

Ay, I should say that I’m an “onee-san” studying at university. I guess this part won’t affect anything, right. Yep.

I patted my thin chest and urged Keita to say it out loud. So, he cleared his throat with a cough and sat upright. “Well…” …He threw the question at me.

“How should I get along with my ex-girlfriend?”

“That’s an explosively normie question.”

It’s way off from what I can answer. I, Ayumu Kiriya, never went out with someone before, and I likely never will. Of course, I won’t have a so-called “ex-girlfriend.” …It’s more like before I can even answer this question, my body and soul are both of a girl. It’s hard for me to imagine an “ex-girlfriend” out.

Sweat appeared on my forehead. I decided to get more intel out of Keita first.

“Uh, …w-what kind of question is that? Is it like something for your friend? Or, don’t tell me it’s your own problem, Keita?”

“Eh? Ah, …I guess you can say it’s something my friend encountered too…”

After Keita mumbled a bit hesitantly, he scratched his cheeks and answered.

“Uh, it’s because this is quite complicated. Please allow me to skip over the details, sorry.”

“It’s fine. I don’t really mind…”

Although I replied like that, a seed of worry appeared in my heart. Don’t tell me Keita and his girlfriend broke up because of me. Ay, …it doesn’t feel like that from his attitude…

Keita continued hastily.

“A-Anyway, Kiriya-san, I should say, right now, all I want to do is to give you an ‘ex-girlfriend’ questionnaire. Yes, if I can hear your stance on how you would get along with your ex-girlfriend, that would be an excellent reference for me.”

“Uh, no, I mean…”

Crap, what’s happening? I never thought that someone would ask me how he should face his ex-girlfriend in my life.

However, I’ve always put up the senpai face in the past. I don’t think I can get away if I say, “I actually never went out with anyone” right now. At least, I need to find one more person to talk this out with Keita-

-Wait, uh, I got it! That person is free at this time, anyway…

“W-Wait, Keita! I’ll bring help here right now! There’s a good helper!”

After I said that, I ignored Keita, who’s still confused, as I quickly stood up from the chair.

Then, around 3 minutes later-

“…What is this?”

In my living room, there’s a university lady that looks upset because she was suddenly dragged from her room next to me – Ao Saika.

It’s 5 PM currently. She just got home from university. Initially, I think she was enjoying her late “personal tea-time” elegantly. Thanks to that, her hair is messed up, and bits of chocolate remained on her lips.

I can only point toward my lips to show her. She snapped out of it and said, “Excuse me.” After that, without bothering to ask me, she dashed inside my room’s toilet. So, I don’t know how she did it, but after 30 seconds…

“Sorry for making you wait. Ara, Keita Amano-san, it’s been a while. Good to see you.”

The usual, …no, the “perfecter” “wealthy lady Ao Saika” came back with a charming smile.

(…I feel like this girl is explicitly trying to put up a “high-classed” attitude in front of Keita…)

Is it because she wants to act like a senpai to him, just like me?

In reality, Keita freaked out and remained still. He barely managed to mumble a greeting out.

“I-It’s been a while, Saika-san. Uh, …I feel kind of sorry for calling you here because of me…”

“Hmm? What? …For you?”

Ao tilted her head. Come to think of it, I haven’t explained why I brought her to my house yet.

I gave a simple explanation of what happened between Keita and me to Ao. But, even so, Ao still looks like she doesn’t understand at all.

“I understand. However, what does that have to do with bringing me here?”

Keita shared the same question too. Just as he’s also looking at me confusingly, …I puffed up my chest and answered.

“Uh, doesn’t Ao give off an ‘ex-girlfriend’ feeling already? Should I say you look like a mistress?”

“I’ll grab you by the neck and suffocate you.”

Ao protested furiously. I answered with a bitter smile as I pressed on.

“So, what do you think, the girl that gives off an ‘ex-girlfriend’ feeling? How do you want boys to treat you?”

“Uh, I don’t know. After all, I never dated any boys.”

“Eh?”

“Why are you two so surprised? I’m sorry. I have a questionable face, anyway. I’m just a tragic side character that can only help to smooth things over!”

Ao crossed her arms and pouted before turning away, hinting that she’s throwing a tantrum. I can only smile bitterly. However, …Keita asked her sheepishly.

“Uh, Saika-san, did you just say…you never dated any boys?”

“Hmm? Yeah, it’s not just that. I can’t hope to date anyone, even though I look like a mistress.”

Ao still answered with a temper. So, Keita…tilted his head in confusion.

“Eh? But, well, aren’t Kiriya-san and Saika-san dating right now…”

“!”

Suddenly, Ao and I remembered that setting. We immediately became alerted and looked at each other.

Crap. I forgot about this completely. Yes, yes, yes. If I remember correctly, …I lied to him because of the bra incident. Since Keita came with an unexpected question after a while, I already forgot what happened on that day.

Ao tried to find an excuse with floating eyes.

“Well, …t-that’s because, to me, I still can’t consider my relationship with Ayumu-san as a serious one…”

“H-How mature! I can’t imagine that at all!”

Keita’s eyes brightened as he got worked up. …I’m sorry, Keita. Actually, Ao and I also can’t imagine that relationship.

I glanced at Ao as we exchanged eye-contact.

(…I can’t do anything if you’re making things up like this.)

(W-What was that? I-It’s because Ayumu-san’s lying in the first place-)

Yes, just as Ao’s staring at me with bitter eyes-

As I’ve expected, -Keita innocently asked Ao…a brutal question.

“Well, then I’ll look forward to the relationship master, Saika-san’s answer!”

“EHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Ao’s face gradually went pale. This is not just suicide, it’s a mega-suicide. Ao reached out to me for help with teary eyes, while I gave her a “who cares about you” look and turned away. Perhaps I initially caused this trouble, …but she’s the one that dug her own grave this time.

Keita still looked up to Ao with his puppy eyes.

“Saika-san! So? What should an ex-boyfriend do to gain your love back? Please teach me! I’m begging you!”

“T-There’s no need to beg me…”

The good girl is about to cry. …So, Ao, you should know right now? This is…the hell that awaits people who think they’re masters of love. Welcome to the alliance.

Ao looked around on her own sheepishly. However, I, Ayumu Kiriya’s room, is publicly certified as being clean and straightforward. There are not many furniture everywhere, so there’s literally no topic for her to get away with-

“Ah, t-this game! A-Actually, I’m always curious about it!”

“Eh?”

-Suddenly, Ao pushed us away and sat where Keita was, the area facing the TV screen.

Then, her breathing turned rough as she grabbed the game controller excitedly.

“S-So, please let me try this game out! Yes, this is good! After all, …I’m totally defenseless to games like this!”

“…………”

-The lady held the controller upside down as she spewed some non-sense out.

“Hey…” I can’t help but cover my eyes. …I can’t see this anymore. This is the worst attempt at “changing the topic” I’ve ever seen in my life.

Well, we’re finally out of options. Perhaps it’s time for us to admit all the relationship lies we made up. Then, I guess it’s an excellent chance to reveal the live streams I recorded…

Yes, just as I’m about to admit defeat-

Keita, -he gave us an unexpected reason.

“T-That’s incredible! T-This is the level of an open-world expert, right!”

“Huh?”

We fell speechless. However, Keita got close to Ao excitedly and continued.

“This is the first time that I saw someone flipping the controller on purpose!”

“Eh?”

It was not until now that Ao realized that she’s holding the controller wrongly. …Ah, she started shivering with a face as red as a tomato. What’s this? It’s adorable. From what I know, this is the cutest Ao in history. At the same time, it’s the most pathetic. It’s as miserable as a rabbit being bit and carried around by a lion.

But Keita didn’t see Ao’s face as he pressed on.

“However, I didn’t know that Saika-san loves gaming too! Exactly! Otherwise, a charming lady like Saika-san will never get close to Kiriya-san. His looks are scary, his temper’s twisted, and he got a slight eighth-grade syndrome, after all!”

“Hey.”

Keita didn’t even notice my cold protest. He’s still pretty worked up…as if he already forgot the things we’re supposed to talk about. The boy continued.

“If that’s the case, Kiriya-san! Why don’t we let Saika-san play this game today!”

“Eh?”

The situation turned toward an unexpected end. For a moment, we freaked out and froze. However, …a bit later, Ao and I quickly exchanged looks. Then, we nodded at each other with determined faces. Finally, both of us smiled as we gave a thumbs up to Keita.

“S-Sure!”

During this time, both of our hearts connected to each other. …Yes, even though this means-

<A newbie has to play like a professional with reverted controllers.>

Ao will be jumping into the hell for newbies.

Even so, …even so, this is a hundred times better than pretending to be masters and talk about relationships!

In reality, we’re two weird university girls whose ages are equal to the years we don’t have a boyfriend. If we’re facing a normie high school boy that’s a couple step ahead of us in terms of love, we have to brag about a relationship that we know nothing about. That would be too torturing. I’m close to vomiting when I merely thought about it.

If that’s the case, it would be better to make Ao, who’s a newbie, to hold a reverted controller and pretend to be a professional. Even though, … typically, this is just as torturing.

So, we immediately acted and started playing the game once again. When Keita’s hesitating on where he should sit, I quickly started recording, just in case.

(Perhaps it would be unexpectedly enjoyable…)

A wealthy lady, who’s a noob, will be “playing like an expert” in an open-world game with reverted controllers. -Yep, quite an attractive live streaming proposal. Well, even though it’s not my style.

I turned off the PC monitor to avoid revealing the recording, and then I turned back. During this time, Keita looked at me a bit awkwardly. …According to the usual seats, Keita’s supposed to sit next to Ao. However, I guess he’s a bit too humble and polite for that.

“Keita, you can sit at the computer table today. I’ll sit next to Ao.”

I got in the kotatsu and got close to Ao after I said that. When Keita held his canned coffee as he took a seat at the table, Ao whispered to me quietly.

(Ayumu-san, now that things turned this way. I can’t just…change the controller back?)

(Correct. Also, you have to show your expert gaming skills to Keita Amano as well.)

(Even though I’m a newbie that never touched games before?)

(Yes. Moreover, if the guy found out, all of our other lies, including the one when we pretended to be masters, will be busted as well. If things got worse and my gender got revealed, the worst-case scenario is that the cops will be alerted.)

(…This is the first time in my life that I experienced such a strong “stuck in a level” feeling.)

(Ao, let me tell you, this is what happens when you deal with Keita Amano- this young man.)

(Keita Amano is literally a plague or something!)

Ao protested to me with tears in her eyes. Ay, it’s precisely that. However, if you consider the videos’ views, he’s a pretty efficacious god as well. So, we can’t just call him a plague. It’s like Zashiki-warashi. You will benefit as long as you treat her nicely. …Well, even though we’re facing a major crisis right now. [Note: Zashiki-warashi, spirits that like to prank others. It’s folklore in northern Honshu.]

“Uh, it’s almost time for us to start, right?”

The god is still looking at the TV, which is paused at the title screen, as he urged us to play.

Ao and I nodded at each other. …Then, we decided to start while trembling.

I whispered orders to Ao and asked her to press the circle button on the controller.

(Just touch it. Press the “O” button, Ao.)

(The circle…will…go down…when you touch it…?)

The lady tilted her head a bit and asked me playfully. After that, she checked the bottom left of her sweater as if she realized something. She even mumbled, “I see.” …Then, for some reason, she left the controller on the table.

“?”

Just as Keita and I became confused, Ao slowly stood up. She grabbed the bottom left of her sweater as she took a couple deep breaths. So, at the next moment-

-She suddenly used all her strength and sent her left fist out towards the screen with a yell!

“Ha!”


“…………” “…………”

When Keita and I fell speechless, …Ao adjusted her breaths again, and then she closed her eyes. Just as a mysteriously serious atmosphere envelops the room, …at the next moment, she suddenly opened her eyes and yelled.

“G-Go down!”

Suddenly, on her left fist, -the bottom left of the sweater, a circular peony embroidery appeared.

…Oh, …I see. Punching fists and yell. “You punch and yell after touching it.” Really? Jeez.

“…………” “…………”

-What the hell? Eh, what is this? Can someone really not know anything about gaming nowadays? This is so ridiculous that it’s not even about whether she’s a newbie anymore, right? If you think about this normally, she’s already doing something weird, right?

My face went pale as I glanced at Keita to peek at his reaction. As for him, he’s looking at Ao seriously as he gulped.

“N-No, this is too advanced. My mind can’t follow up at all…! F-From what I saw, I only felt that the lady just did something strange!”

Your feelings are entirely correct! You can see things accurately! However, this guy didn’t suspect Ao. Instead, he’s doubting himself. We can see how honest or dumb he is from this.

Now that we got a chance, I decided to help Ao smooth things over.

“H-Hiya, but it’s the same in sports. Once you reached a super-advanced level, some ‘routine ceremonies’ that seems weird become necessary for luck.”

“Huh! I-I see! Routine ceremonies. …T-That’s deep.”

Keita Amano mumbled to himself quietly. What an idiot. Even though this guy’s brain isn’t that bad, he’s an idiot.

Then, I slowly reached my hand out to Ao, who’s still looking at the title screen with her left fist out. …She’s slightly shivering.

(Ao, …no matter what, I think you can already sense the situation you’re in right now.)

(…Yeah.)

Ao’s face is blushing hard with tears in her eyes. I let her sit back at the original position to avoid Keita from seeing that look. At the same time, I passed her the reverted controller again.

(Here, press this with your left thumb. The button with the “O” mark. Get it?)

(Ughhh, I’m sorry, Ayumu-san…)

Ao looks like she lost all strength as she pressed the button accordingly. So, after a couple attempts at pressing the “O” button, we managed to push through the game to the prologue cinematics. However, …here comes the problem.

I glanced next to me. …Ao’s already running out of breath when she just pressed “O” a couple times. I guess she’s overwhelmed by the anxiety.

(…I really have to do something right now.)

Even though she’s a newbie, we can make this through if she knows how to hold the controller. I can just calm things down at the side or do some random explanations. I planned to do that. …However, now that I know the truth, I guess I can’t pull that off as well. Ao’s soul will collapse first.

I scrambled my brain for a solution…

During this time, I suddenly noticed another wireless controller on the kotatsu.

Suddenly, Ayumu Kiriya received an oracle!

I quickly decided to tell this “Devil’s Strategy” to Ao.

(Ao, when Keita’s not noticing, …you need to secretly pass your controller to me.)

(Eh? Sure, …but there’ll be nothing in my hands…)

(Yeah. So, at the same time, you need to quickly fetch that 2P controller and then hold it just like right now!)

(Huh! Hey, doesn’t that mean…!)

Ao finally realized what I’m trying to do. Indeed, …to put it simply, this is the full plan.

(Yes, I’ll be the one…to play the game for Ao under the kotatsu!)

It’s literally a devil’s idea. This miracle can only be performed during the kotatsu season!

This way, Ao doesn’t need to play professionally with a reverted controller as a newbie, and it won’t stress her too.

Ao and I immediately started the plan after nodding at each other. First, Ao looked for the chance when Keita’s not paying attention. …After confirming that he’s staring at the TV screen, she immediately handed the main controller to me. Simultaneously, she managed to quickly…and quietly got the other controller in her hand.

As for me, I secretly hid the main controller handed to me in the kotatsu. Of course, I’m holding it the usual way instead of flipping it.

Finally, both of us checked up on Keita. On his side…

“Hiya, the recent games got some incredible graphics.”

Keita’s still saying mundane thoughts for the game, and he’s occupied. The strategy is successful!

Ao and I smiled at each other. So, when we’re touching things, the prologue is about to end. I quickly told Ao the following plan.

(Ao, I need you to pretend that you’re controlling, but you shouldn’t press the controller too much. Things can go wrong if it’s different than the actual movement of the character.)

(I-I got it. I won’t do anything unnecessary.)

Ao’s still holding the reverted controller as she stared at the screen seriously.

Alright, …I think we can make it through with this plan. Now, …I just need to control the game.

“Ah, I think it’s starting, Saika-san.”

“Y-Yeah…”

Like what Keita just said, the prologue is over. The tutorial that teaches the control basis is starting with a cave exploration mission.

I sighed…and began playing. The character is slowly advancing forward. Suddenly, Keita yelled out of joy!

“Wow! That’s amazing! It’s almost like you’re playing normally!”

Of course, I’m controlling it the usual way.

Naturally, Keita wanted to peek at Ao’s hands. I hastily blocked Keita from Ao with my body, and then I warned Keita as I continued.

“Hey, Keita, aren’t you, …hmm, being impolite right now?”

“Eh, you’re saying…impolite?”

“Y-Yeah, this is a professional player’s unique controlling method. It’s already a kind of intellectual property.”

“I-Intellectual property!”

Keita’s shocked. …Don’t worry, Keita. I’m just as baffled as you after saying that.

I pressed on.

“So, you shouldn’t stare at what Ao’s doing. Right, Ao?”

I spoke up and asked for her agreement. Ao nodded stiffly.

“Y-Yes, …h-he’s right. It would be great if you can cooperate.”

“I see, …how regretful.”

Keita Amano dropped his shoulders depressingly. Sigh, …as a gamer, it’s hard to be not interested in how an expert plays with a reverted controller. I can understand that.

Ao casually comforted him.

“Uh, …please don’t feel so disappointed. T-Think about it, my fingers actually move in a pretty horrifying and uncomfortable way when I’m in this reverted state.”

“I-It’s uncomfortable?”

“Yeah, that’s pretty serious. The tips of the fingers are twisted like a mess as the joints are disconnected. You’ll vomit once you saw it.”

“That’s straight out of Cthulhu Mythos! I-It just makes me want to look even more! Ao-san, c-can you please let me observe it…”

“K-Keita Amano-kun!”

“Y-Yes!”

During this time, Ao gave Keita a pretty handsome smile.

“…If you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you.”

“T-That’s deep! I’m sorry, Saika-san! I think I’m taking this too lightly! Please continue playing! Yes, I’ll never watch your fingers!”

“It’s great that you can understand.”

Ao smiled as she looked back at the screen. …This girl, she’s having fun.

I’m dumbfounded by their interactions as I continued controlling under the kotatsu.

Basically, I, Ayumu Kiriya, aren't bad at games. However, …of course, I’m not like a top-tier professional. Right now, we’re still in the tutorial. So, there aren’t many chances to “show off” my skills, which means that there’s no problem so far. But around 5 minutes later, the adventure will start, and I’ll have to show expert skills then.

Ao seems to be able to sense my nervousness, so she sighed while looking at the screen. In this room, only Keita Amano is humming a song as he’s looking at the game screen cheerfully. …Honestly, I really want to beat him up, even though I think he didn’t do anything wrong.

Right now, he suddenly remembered something and pulled open the ring of his canned coffee before taking a sip. Since the game reached another cutscene, I unintentionally looked at what he’s doing. …So, he noticed that and casually suggested to me.

“Ah, Kiriya-san, you want to take a sip? Even though it’s not cold anymore.”

“Sure, I’ll share a sip-“

I can sense an overwhelmingly cold aura when I’m in the middle of casually replying, so I hastily glanced next to him. In front of me, …a lady is giving me a vengeful spirit’s look.

“A-Ayumu-san? I-Isn’t it wrong to share a sip when Amano-kun drank it already?”

“Hmm? Wrong?”

But I don’t really understand what Ao’s trying to say. Keita looks a bit confused too, and he even wanted to help me out.

“Ah, it’s nothing, Saika-san. This coffee is from Kiriya-san’s home, anyway. So, there’s no need for him to be polite to me. He can just take it if he wants.”

“No, t-that’s not the issue, Amano-kun.”

“Hmm? Uh, well, what do you mean?”

“Well, …uh, …it’s because…”

Ao gazed at me and the canned coffee as she mumbled something before lowering her head. At the next moment, …she stared at me brutally with tears in her eyes. Then, she whispered to me this quietly.

(I-Isn’t this an indirect kiss!? Ayumu-san, what were you thinking!?)

(Huh? But I’ll share a sip with you in the university sometimes, right?)

(I-It’s alright if you’re sharing with me. It’s me!)

(Why?)

(Y-You’re still asking why…! Uh, …r-right, it’s because we’re the same gender!)

(The same gender? Ah, that’s fine. Keita and I are just the same, anyway.)

Ao’s still protesting next to me, but I just want to drink coffee. So, I ignored her and prepared to take the can from Keita-

-During this time, the cutscene is over.

“Ah.”

Ao and my voice overlapped each other. Currently, a bunch of mysterious enemies is attacking the protagonist on the screen. …This means I have to start some violent controls immediately.

Anyway, Ao went back and pretended to be playing the game. At the same time, I quickly controlled the protagonist under the kotatsu-

“Hmm? Kiriya-san, what’s wrong? Please take the coffee now.”

“Eek! Uh, no, look, …right now, the game is…”

“Huh? Yeah, Saika-san’s giving her best, and she’s an expert. But she’s playing on her own, …Kiriya-san, you can still drink the coffee, right. Take it, just get your hands out of the kotatsu now…”

Keita’s getting closer as he said that. Hey, I bet this guy found out already, and he’s just messing with me on purpose! Even though this is just a coincidence, he’s too talented at pranking people!

I tried my best to control the game under the kotatsu as I started making up excuses.

“Uh, well, …yep, I guess I don’t want it. I just drank coffee.”

“No, no, no, you don’t need to be polite. This is something in your house.”

You’re a pain in the butt! What the hell do you want from me!?

“I-I gained weight recently. Although it’s micro-sugar, I shouldn’t drink too much…”

“No, no, no, you’re literally too slim! You should be fatter!”

“I’ll drink it later then! Alright, I want to watch Ao playing the game now…”

“No, if that’s the case, please drink it in front of me right now!”

“Why!?”

“I’m your traditional older brother! Once I decided to give someone something, I won’t give up until it’s actually handed out!”

“Who cares!?”

What the hell? This guy’s really annoying! However, this frustration seems to have a positive impact on my gaming skills. I’m unprecedently good at controlling the game. I’m headshotting the enemies one by one like a real pro.

To that, the older brother guy can’t help but stare at the screen as he let out sighs in praise. …I decided that I can only clear this in one go, so I eliminated the entire enemy battalion in seconds. After that…

“Well, give me that coffee!”

“Eh? Ah, sure.”

…When the cutscene of the next quest plays, I quickly took the coffee from Keita’s hands. I took a single sip and returned it.

“Ah.”

Ao let out a grumpy sound, …but I ignored her before paying attention to the game screen again.

*

“Hiya, Saika-san, you’re amazing!”

When I’m thoroughly exhausted, Keita prepared to go home as he threw another wave of praises at Ao. In comparison, Ao smiled shyly and said, “No, you’re praising me too much.” That humble attitude made Keita fully convinced, so he complimented her even more, and the cycle continues.

Keita finally fell quiet when he has to get his coat on. So, Ao whispered to me during this time.

“Ayumu-san, I think I can finally understand a bit why you’re so unsuspecting at a boy like him. He…is such an innocent child.”

“See? Keita Amano is a guy like this. He’s not really someone from the opposite gender.”

After I answered a bit smugly, Ao nodded in agreement before continuing and toning her expression down.

“In a way, perhaps it’s better if all we need to worry about is his gender…”

“Eh?”

Ao looked at Keita, who’s trying to figure out the buttons on his coat, and let out a confusing sigh.

She took a deep sigh and warned me by lightly putting her hand on my shoulder.

“Nope, Ayumu-san, don’t get too deep.”

“Hmm? What are you saying? Are you asking me to stop engrossing Keita so much? But think about it, that guy just broke up with his girlfriend recently. Doesn’t this mean we have one less thing to worry about?”

I made a logical conclusion. …However, for some reason, Ao answered me with a solemn look.

“Ayumu-san. If you’re casually saying something like this, I think you already entered the dangerous zone.”

I was a bit annoyed at her attitude.

“Ao, so what are you talking about? I don’t like beating around the bush.”

“Beating around the bush? Me? Ha, that’s more like for you-“

When the argument’s about to escalate, I realized that Keita’s staring at us.

Ao and I quickly made an excuse.

“I-It’s fine, Keita. We’re just arguing on dinner.”

“Y-Yeah. Think about it, Ayumu-san’s a picky eater.”

“Oh, I see. Indeed, Kiriya-san feels a bit unhealthy.”

So, after Keita gave a bitter smile, he walked in front of Ao for some reason and smiled again.

“Perhaps you did say that you’re not serious. Even so, I think it’s the blessing from Kiriya-san’s former life when he has such a virtuous girlfriend like Saika-san.”

“AHH!”

For a moment, Ao nearly fainted for some reason. What?

After she barely regained her consciousness, …somehow, she suddenly grabbed Keita’s hand and told him this with sparkling eyes.

“Y-You’re such a…good child! Please, we’ll have to play together next time too!”

“W-What? T-Thank you.”

Although Keita freaked out for a bit, he still answered like that. …What’s with this conversation?

After that, I think the fight between Ao and me doesn’t matter anymore. Ao seems to feel the same.

The three of us walked to the entrance. After Ao got her coat from her room, we left the apartment and walked Keita home just as usual.

The snow’s rustling as we stepped on it.

“It’s already December…”

Ao grabbed the front of her coat tightly with a single hand as she mumbled to herself. The white fumes slowly melted away at the street in the dusk.

When we’re not far away from the convenience store, I suddenly remembered that Aguri girl we saw there last time.

(In the end, …Keita was dating her, right?)

Although Aguri herself said it’s impossible and denied it, honestly, they look pretty close.

…I can’t let this go once I start thinking about it.

Someone said that it’s dumb to worry about one’s own imagination. Even so, I still can’t help…but ask Keita.

“Uh, hey, …Keita.”

“Yes, what’s wrong, Kiriya-san?”

Keita faced forward as he answered me nonchalantly. When Ao realized what’s happening and looked at us, …I gulped and asked that question.

“The girl…that you said she broke up today. …Is that girl called Aguri?”

After hearing my question, Keita bulged his eyes…and answered me while nodding repeatedly.

“Ah, yes! Well, you’re right. Aguri-san did break up.”

(It’s real!)

Inside our hearts, “Aguri is Keita’s girlfriend” is finally confirmed. No, I guess she’s his ex-girlfriend now.

Keita tilted his head in confusion and continued.

“However, why did you ask about Aguri-san?”

“Eh? Ah, it’s nothing much. I just bumped into her at that convenience store a while ago. But please relax, I didn’t say the relationship between you and me.”

“Hmm? Thanks…? But, I think it’s fine even if you said it…”

“Eh? R-Really? But think about it, …hanging in a university student you met on the street and play games, that’s not something nice to hear, right?”

“Really…? However, I don’t actually talk about you in front of others. …That’s because I’m afraid people will know that you’re a gloomy and lonely university guy that brings high school boys home frequently…”

“I-I see? A-Anyway, no matter what, including Aguri, please continue to help to keep this a secret for Ao and me.”

“Oh, I don’t mind that…”

Keita still looks a bit unconvinced, so I changed the subject.

“Anyway, uh, …how regretful, Keita, about what happened to Aguri.”

“Yeah, …you’re right. It’s really regretful…”

Keita dropped his shoulders deflatedly. This guy did break up with Aguri, right…

“…Even though it’s such a matching couple…”

“Eh, will someone really say that for themselves!?”

Ao gasped at Keita’s unexpected side. …It looks like this guy used to love Aguri so much that his IQ began to drop…

Keita continued depressingly.

“I feel so bad for Aguri-san. …She just lost such an excellent boyfriend.”

“He’s saying that by himself again! What’s wrong with this guy!? It’s more like, where did that overflowing confidence come from!? Where did that humble Keita Amano-kun go?”

Ao complained a bit violently. However, Keita just answered her with a vague smile. …I guess he already treats Ao as an “out-of-this-world and crazy lady” today. Keita even ignored her reasonable complaint.

I’m confused at what he said, just like Ao, but I still pressed on.

“Sigh, b-but, it’s not a bad thing that you broke up. Honestly, …I feel like that Aguri girl, …well, doesn’t match you…”

“Aguri-san and I? Ay, of course. I can’t deal with a girl like her!”

“R-Really?”

His violently changing attitudes freaked Ao and me out. What’s wrong with this guy? I didn’t know he’s this insane. He thinks he’s perfect at relationships, so he despises the girl this much? That’s a literal scum! Even though it’s not good to say this out loud, Keita Amano is a real scumbag!

He looked up to the sky and mumbled.

“Aguri-san, …I hope she can try her best to restore this relationship.”

(S-Scumbag!)

Ao and I screamed inside our hearts as we froze. What’s wrong with this guy!? He thinks the girl has to pay for everything if she’s the one that’s dating him!? I bet that’s why she broke up with you!

The unusual mentality radiating around Keita Amano is starting to horrify the two university girls out.

Just as we’re chatting around, we arrived at the store before we knew it. Keita turned around to bid farewell just as usual- During this time, he suddenly let out a confusing “eh.”

Keita looked behind us- over Ao and me, who’s shocked, he spoke up to someone with a smile.

“Uehara-kun! How did you get here?”

Ao and I turned back at the same time. So, we found out…a high school boy with a refreshing smile (which makes him even more suspicious) is standing there.

(W-When did he…)

He’s standing closer than I thought, and we can’t hide how startled we are. Although Keita didn’t even seem to realize, it’s unusual that he can get this close without making a sound. Clearly, …indeed, this Uehara guy is obviously…!

(He’s really hiding his movements to stalk us…)

Even though we realized that, we don’t know what he’s trying to do. Our faces turned stiff.

He- the Uehara-kun, according to Keita first answered Keita with a greeting gently over us.

“Hi, Amano. It’s nothing but a coincidence. I’m the one that should ask why are you here?”

“Me? I’m, …uh…”

Keita glanced at me at this moment. He paused to think for a second, and then he made a small lie to that Uehara guy.

“I-I’m just here to visit my cousin, so I stayed in his house for a while.”

“Oh, …your ‘cousin,’ ‘…his’ house, right?”

The Uehara high school boy observed Ao and me for a while. Then, he greeted us with a suspiciously refreshing smile.

“Nice to meet you. I’m this guy’s friend, Tasuku Uehara.”

“Ah, I-I’m Ayumu Kiriya. Uh, …I’m Keita’s c-cousin. Well, this one here’s my…neighbor. Her name is Ao Saika.”

Ao greeted him with a simple nod, and Uehara did the same thing and said, “Hello.” …Ay, it looks like he’s not a bad guy.

Once I felt slightly relieved, that Uehara asked for a handshake with me. I accepted him without giving much thought.

So, at the next moment, -he pulled my hand lightly and started whispering next to my ears.

“Isn’t it a bit too unfair to do this?”

“!”

His charming voice made me back out immediately. After that, that Uehara guy continued casually with his refreshing smile.

“Sorry, I shook a bit too tightly. …As a guy, Kiriya-san looks even slimmer than I expected.”

(This little…!)

I can’t help but glare at him. So, when Keita’s starting to freak out from the dangerous mood. …Uehara finally toned down his expression.

“I’m sorry. I’m a bit curious after hearing about you from Aguri.”

It looks like he knows Keita’s ex-girlfriend, Aguri, as well. I see. Well, I guess I can understand why he was trying to intimidate me. This Uehara -he’s the friend of those two. I bet he wants Keita and Aguri to go back together. I get it.

I finally understood what’s happening. Then, I got close to Uehara and whispered to him to avoid Keita from hearing it.

(Let’s stop talking about me first.  I think Aguri would be happier if she just forgets her old relationship…)

After all, Keita Amano is completely insane when it comes to relationships. I told him with this in mind. For some reason, …Uehara answered me depressingly.

(Ugh…! Eh, Kiriya-san, w-why do you think so?)

(Eh? Uh, it’s because, from everything I’ve heard, Aguri’s ex-boyfriend is pretty terrible as a guy, right?)

(UWAH! D-Do you think so? R-Really…)

“?”

Uehara looks upset for some reason. …Hmm, I didn’t expect this boy to be this nice. He’s so considerate toward those two just to make them stay as a couple.

When I started to admire him, Keita spoke up in confusion.

“What’s wrong with you two? Is everything okay?”

“Eh? Ah, yes, it’s fine. Right, Uehara?”

“Y-Yeah. A-Alright, forget about it, Amano. It’s just that we’re a bit nervous since we just met for the first time.”

“Oh, let’s forget about Kiriya-san first. I didn’t know that Uehara-kun will get nervous too. That’s unexpected.”

Why can you forget about me first? Do I really look like a loner?

No matter what, after the mood turned peaceful, Ao cleared her throat and changed the topic.

“By the way, Amano-kun and Uehara-kun, shouldn’t you two go home now?”

Keita freaked out at what she said.

“Right, it’s time for me to go home! Uh, Uehara-kun, you’re walking me home, right?”

“Oh, yeah. Well, it’s time for us to leave, you two.”

They gave us a simple nod after saying that. Then, the two chatted happily with each other as they leave. Uehara poked Keita’s head, while Keita pushed his chest lightly. There’s no politeness, and the distance feels pretty casual.

I looked at them dazedly while Ao mumbled to me.

“…Ayumu-san, that’s how boys get along with each other, right?”

“What are you trying to say, Ao?”

“It’s nothing.”

Ao only said that before walking to the entrance of the convenience store alone.

I sighed as I followed Ao. …At the same time, I turned back to look at those two again. After that, I can’t help but mumble alone.

“I’m being unfair, …right…?”

<Time until Keita Amano’s girlfriend enters Ayumu Kiriya’s apartment: 4 and a half months.>



Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment