Sunday, December 6, 2020

Gamers! DLC Chapter 4

Chapter 4 – Ayumu Kiriya and Mysterious Inference ACT

Translator: your_pingas

“I’ll be going on a school trip soon.”

Keita Amano brought this topic up a bit depressingly. In reality, this is just a while before the 5th live stream recording.

Both of our personalities aren’t really suited to talking with others. However, the two of us are alone in a room. If we already had 4 joyful and back-to-back gaming experiences, it seems to be enough to close off our distance.

I prepared the instant coffee in my kitchen and answered relaxedly with a bitter smile.

“It seems that you don’t like it, Keita.”

I forgot when did I start calling his name directly. Although I don’t really remember, I naturally call my best friends on a first-name basis. To me, Keita Amano unconsciously turned into something more than a “live streaming partner” already.

Even so…

“Well, of course, I’m a loner. Kiriya-san, you don’t like it too, right?”

He’s still calling me by my last name. Honestly, I do feel a bit upset about that. Well, he’s willing to share his private life with me at this point. So, I guess he’s been slowly opening up to me. I think this counts as an improvement.

So, actually, I also want to stay and talk with him sincerely…

(However, if we suddenly chatted about our memories, my gender could be revealed…)

When we were chatting about high school memories, I accidentally mentioned that “I don’t like how tight the school swimsuit is.” The guy froze when he heard it. From then on, I paid more attention to topics in the past like this. It’s a bit ridiculous at this point. …After all, I don’t want to be treated as a pervert with weird sexual fetishes.

To prevent revealing my past, I smiled and avoided the topic as usual.

“I don’t know. I already forgot everything in high school.”

“No, no, no, that’s not so long ago, right. Kiriya-san, you’re cunning. You rarely say anything about yourself. Well, aside from your love of school swimsuits and bringing nonage boys into your house.”

“Your impression of mine is quite terrible.”

“If you don’t want me to think you like that, then please talk more about your past, my loner senpai.”

Keita pouted in dissatisfaction.

“As I told you before, I’m not the same as you. I’m not that much of a loner.”

I chuckled and grabbed two mugs. I placed one of them on the desk that I use frequently. Then, another one was put on the kotatsu he’s sitting in. Also, I moved this kotatsu out from the shelves during the last live stream recording. Thanks to that, Keita is especially excited since the last time was his first kotatsu experience. We were barely playing the game. The recording ended up being “Keita Amano’s First Kotatsu Experience.” …However, the audience called it “creative” and liked it. So, I’m not even sure what gaming streams are supposed to be at this point.

“Thanks for the coffee.”

Keita thanked me as he carefully grabbed the mug. Perhaps he’s afraid of the hot. The boy tried his best to blow air into the cup. He’s inhaling to the point that his face pouted before blowing looks way too childish, and I can’t help but smile mischievously. So, Keita seems to have noticed that and changed the topic embarrassingly.

“Anyway, I’m talking about the school trip. Ay, I hope God blesses me when it comes to splitting off into groups…”

“Eh? If I remember correctly, didn’t you have a guy that you deemed as your only friend in the class?”

I sat on the computer chair and crossed my legs as I sipped my coffee before asking.

Keita answered in a vague tone.

“I do, …but it’s hard to explain. It’s because he’s popular.”

“I see, you’re not sure whether you can be in the same group? Well, …just admit your defeat and enjoy the loneliness? You can create a happy trip atmosphere on your own.”

After he heard what I said, Keita still held the mug with both of his hands, but tears appeared in his eyes like he’s seriously throbbed.

“…Kiriya-san, you’re a true gentleman and the hope of all loners.”

“Hey, I already said that I’m fundamentally different than loners like you-“

“Very well, I will bestow the alias ‘Archmage Loner’ to you.”

“I don’t need it. Also, you’re already not talking about loners.”

“…The archmage loner that loves shotas and school swimsuits.”

“Don’t treat me as a monster spawner or something like that.”

“Hiya, then it’s almost time for gaming, archmage.”

“Don’t change my alias. I’m Torabasami.”

“I do feel that alias is weird enough.”

I finally started slowly preparing the game while I watched Keita’s bitter smile. I feel like the longer we spent time together, …our “chatters” is dragging longer than the actual gaming session.

Alright, let’s forget about that and play the game. He’s going to play a detective AVG today. A text-based game is definitely not suited for live streams, at least I won’t upload a video like this. However, I want to experiment with Keita Amano’s live streaming qualities.

“Alright, we’re all set now.”

After I opened the game, I clicked on the PC and started recording. Then, I grabbed the mug and moved over to the kotatsu before starting the stream.

“Excuse me.”

I squeezed myself into the tight kotatsu with Keita, where I’m practically touching his shoulder. Naturally, I can feel his ankles and waist. It made me a bit uncomfortable.

(Why am I getting nervous over a brat like this…)

It’s because Ao is always yelling at me. “I can’t believe you’re bringing a high school boy into your room. How dirty.” I can’t get it off my mind. …During this time-

“Uh, then can I start playing this, Ki- Tora?”

I’m still lost in thoughts even when the title screen popped out. Keita asked me this in confusion. I answered. “S-Sure, sorry.” Then, I cleared my throat and switched the mood.

“Alright! So, we’re playing this game today! <Gulf Party>!” [Note: The Japanese pronunciation is a reference to Danganronpa.]

“Although I’m used to this, Tora, why are you often switching like this? Are you the type that changes his personality whenever he holds the steering wheel?”

Keita is still anxious with my live streaming mode. It’s hard to blame me. If he doesn’t know I’m recording a hot video for the whole world to see right now, of course, he’ll react like that. It can’t be helped. Even so, his reaction already became one of the selling points.

So, I continued hosting like nothing’s wrong.

“Jiraiya, have you played this game before?”

“No, it’s my first time. I do know this game, though…”

“That’s great. It’s because this is a detective AVG. I can’t look forward to your reaction if you already played it. Thank God, I’m serious.”

“Why do you care about my reaction so much, Tora? By the way, what does this have to do with my reaction?”

“My reputation, trust, and friendship (as a live streamer).”

“It’s unexpected serious! Hey, how did it turn into this!?”

“Come, chatting about the game is more important, Jiraiya.”

“You’re still saying chatting is more important. …Sigh, whatever, I’m fine with it.”

We’ve already repeated this conversation several times, so Keita gave up after a while.

I started explaining the game again.

“<Gulf Party> is just like its name. The game is about some guys and girls holding a party in a small bar next to the gulf.”

“It’s indeed what the name says, but why am I feeling a little disappointed right now?”

“However, things went south during the party due to ‘Hey-hey Bear,’ the mysterious person behind all of this.” [Note: It’s a reference to Monokuma.]

“Oh, it got a subtle psychological horror vibe-“

“A joyful King’s Game started cheerfully like this!”

“-That vibe disappeared right away.”

“Can the protagonist, Supreme Rintaro, survive in this ‘deathmatch of rejecting ugly girls?’ At the same time, can he ‘pick up’ a cute girl and go home in the process?”

“What’s wrong with the protagonist’s name? Is he living in <The Way of Osaka Financing>?

“Also, no one knows the shocking goal hidden behind this King’s Game!”

“Oh, it gets a bit interesting at this point-“

“How is it related to the ‘Birthrate Increasing Programme’ pushed by this world’s government?”

“-I think everything’s solved.”

“The unexpected real identity of Hey-hey Bear will be revealed!”

“I’m afraid he’s just working in the government…”

“Even though it’s just Tuesday, please don’t miss the fight that lasts until 5 AM in this tiny bar!”

“Hiya, I’m suddenly getting a <No 10 No Return> vibe.” [Note: I don’t know what that is, so I looked this up, and there’s no official English name. It’s a Japanese TV show about food or something.]

“-The future that awaits them when they leave the bar, will it be hope or despair?”

“No, only school or work will be waiting ahead.”

“So, let’s go. It’s time for you to start, Jiraiya.”

“This is the first time that I’ve played an AVG with such a boring theme and ending.”

While he did complain, Keita still pressed the start button.

On the screen, a description of the protagonist and a series of character introductions are displayed one after one seamlessly. Keita let out a convinced sigh.

“The theme is indeed terrible, but I realized that the character lines and monologue are quite enjoyable once you started playing it. Nice.”

“Of course, there is a reason for it to sell well.”

“Yeah. …Strange, I think I suddenly got something called an <Promise> after talking to female characters…”

“Ah, you will use that during the main show, <Billards Judgement>.”

“Billards? Eh, I didn’t know this is a sports game!”

“You’re wrong. It’s not. Even though this isn’t a sports game, they do play billiards. They’ll do it at the right opportunity in another room.”

“Ehh! Uh, I didn’t know that. People play billiards in parties?”

Since I never went to a party, I don’t know the answer even when asked. However, …Keita’s looking at me with hopeful eyes. So, I accidentally answered.

“Y-Yeah, …I guess a lot of people do that in parties these days.”

“Eh, really? I see. …I guess so. After all, mobile game cafes are getting popular now. I didn’t know billiards are prevalent among normies…”

“Y-Yeah.”

I looked away as I answered. …Sigh, I wonder what people will say in the comments after the video got out. …I get the feeling that there will be more people teasing at me than at Keita. …I should edit this part out later.

Just as I’m doing these useless plannings, Keita played the game and asked me again.

“Well, I understood the billiards part, but what does judgment mean…?”

“Ah, it’s not like you’re going to the court. It’s just that the protagonist will play 1 vs 1 billiards with the girl he wants, and the questioning begins. This process will be presented in the form of <Billiards Judgement>.”

“Oh, …so we’re using this <Promise> at that time?”

“Yeah. If what the girl said conflicts with the <Promise> you got during the <Drinking Session>, you can expose her with a <Promise Smash>, just like ping pong.”

“I see. So, it’s a visualization of words going back and forth in the form of billiards. That’s creative.”

“You’re basically repeating this process in the game. First, you will collect <Promises> and <Billiards Judgements>. Then, there will be an ugly girl that the protagonist doesn’t want during the <Billiards Judgements>. …That girl is called a <Money-losing Thing> in this game.” [Note: It’s a sexist term that used to mean girls in Japanese/Chinese.]

“It’s a terrible word that completely abandons the female player base. It’s so terrible that it’s special.”

“Anyway, as long as you brutally finish the <Money-losing Thing> here, she’ll go home with some guy other than the protagonist. Only then can Supreme Rintaro brilliantly go out with a cute girl, …which is called a <High-class Thing> in the game.”

“I want to bring this protagonist to a game over. He should be hit by a car.”

“I know how you feel, but after you actually played, you’ll realize that this is a super exciting game with exceptional writing and 200 IQ plots. Just follow the story for once. Come to think of it, Rintaro is kind of a likable guy.”

“Sigh, …I do admit that the story is written pretty well…”

Keita started playing the game unwillingly as he said that. However, a few seconds later, he can’t hold his laughter when he sees the “Hey-hey Bear” reference.

Keita started reading the <Drinking Session> plot fluently. Also, the developers only allowed people to upload their walkthrough on the first chapter. So, even if we’re live streaming an AVG, I don’t need to worry about spoiling the story. I’m grateful for the situation. However, personally, I also love “the realm that only non-official live streams can reach.” Therefore, I’m absolutely not decided to change my route yet by picking this game. …Well, even though I don’t know who I’m explaining to.

“Hey, it finally comes to that <Billiards Judgement> mode?”

Just as I’m still thrown off, Keita continued the game without stopping to the most beautiful part in this series.

Keita followed the tutorial and prepared to face the <Billiards Judgement>.

The ugly girl that’s supposed to be the enemy this time, …the <Money-losing Thing> started placing her words for seducing the protagonist onto the ball. Then, she hit them towards the screen one by one.

“Ah, it feels so hot in here…” “Should I take one of my clothes off?” “Eh, Supreme-san, your body is quite masculine…” “Wow, you’re strong.” “I’m thinking about whether we can go outside.” “Perhaps I’m really starting to get drunk…”

Keita started hitting these balls filled with words back one by one as if he’s in an action game. However, when the round finished, the <Money-losing Thing> repeated her lines again.

I explained.

“From all the things that she said, if you think ‘this sentence is suspicious,’ you can request a <Smash> with the <Promise> you collected before. …In other words, you will score in this match.”

“I see. If that’s the case…”

After Keita mumbled, he moved the cursor towards the <Promise> that looks like it can be used this time. …He selected “the waiter brought the wrong, non-alcoholic drink to the girl.”

Then, he put it on the <Money-losing Thing>’s “perhaps I’m starting to get drunk…” sentence. Suddenly, the protagonist, Supreme Rintaro, screamed.

“It ain’t true!”

“What’s with his sudden Kansai-ben!?”

Keita complained. Actually, while this Supreme Rintaro guy is a jerk, he’s still a guy that speaks the standard dialect. So, this line is bizarre. While it’s unusual…

“Rintaro’s setting is that once he’s excited or pissed, his Osaka lineage will start going wild.”

“Ah, I didn’t know that the protagonist is born in Osaka.”

“Nope, he’s actually born in Portugal. Also, he never lived in Kansai.”

“What’s wrong with this protagonist!? There’s a limit for weirdness, right!”

While he said that, I think the game itself looks pretty interesting to Keita. After that, he still had a good time during the <Billiards Judgements>. When he cast out a couple smashes, he stared at the game screen and mumbled.

“…Sometimes, I’ll hope that these options can appear in reality.”

“Hey, why are you suddenly saying things that only exist in light novel settings?”

“Uh, you are so free in real-life. Comparatively, isn’t this like facing numerous options at every second?”

“I see, you’re right. This game is just the same. After you increased the difficulty, there will be many <Promises> included in the options. You really need to give it a good think. When there are more choices, perhaps it does grant more freedom, but it’s going to be tougher.”

“Yeah…”

Keita answered with a weak smile. I don’t really understand what he’s thinking about. So, I took a sip of coffee with a vague smile. So, at the next moment-

“…Can someone give me the choices on how I should get along with my beloved girlfriend?”

“PFFT!”

-I can’t help but spew all the coffee after hearing such a shocking sentence.

“Are you okay!?”

“I-It’s fine. I’m okay, …yeah.”

Luckily, the coffee didn’t spill inside the kotatsu and the mic. I only need to clean the table with paper towels.

However, …that’s not the issue here.

Keita paused the game. I grabbed a wet towel to finish the cleaning as my eyes began to float around nervously, but I still managed to throw a question at him.

“Uh, …hey? Well, …Keita Amano-san, …please allow me to ask you something…”

“Eh, why are you suddenly so polite? You’re calling my real name while we’re still playing.”

“No, this part will be edited out, so it doesn’t matter.”

“Edited out?”

“It’s nothing. Let’s forget that. …Keita Amano, you just said…”

I wiped the table with the wet towels a couple more times despite not achieving anything.  Then, although I tried my best to stay calm, …my lips trembled as I asked him.

“Uh, …y-you have a girlfriend?”

Facing with the question that I only asked once in my lifetime-

Keita Amano, …he answered very clearly.

“Ah, yes, I do. My girlfriend is super beautiful. It’s a shame that she’s willing to go out with me.”

“-Seriously…”

Even though I fell speechless, I managed to walk to the kitchen tremblingly like I’m a ghost. I washed the towel as my brain rapidly spun.

(Eh, what is this? What’s happening? This guy is a classic loner. Why does he have a girlfriend!? Isn’t this strange? No, more importantly…)

Why is my heart pounding so fast…?

(…O-Oh, I got it. I-It’s because Ao warned me about this before. I figured out as much. Yeah, yeah.)

I remembered the specific “reason” for my panic, so I felt a bit relieved.

I turned off the tap and wrung the towel dry forcefully.

(You’re a university girl bringing a high school boy into your house. A situation, …won’t it be pretty bad if the boy has a girlfriend? This would be something more than a rom-com. -Ao said this before.)

However, when I heard her warning, I figured out that “a guy like Keita Amano” will never have a girlfriend. So, I ignored what Ao said…

It looks like I’m dead wrong.

I aired the towel as I asked Keita Amano, who’s wiping the table clean with tissues.

“Uh, that girlfriend you talked about, …you didn’t imagine her in your brain, right?”

“It’s kind of mean when you’re casually suspecting me like this. Do I look like such a twisted person?”

“Very much.”

“I guess so. After you said that, I think it’s hard to guarantee that I wouldn’t imagine it.”

“If that’s true…”

“However, the girlfriend I talked about really exists. That’s why I’m seriously thinking about how I should get along with her.”

“I-I see…”

After I’m done with the towel, I went back to the kotatsu and sat real close to Keita Amano- No, I sat on the chair in front of the desk. Keita asked in confusion.

“Huh? What’s wrong? You’re not playing with me anymore?”

“Eh? Ah, nothing. Well, …I-I think it’s not that good for me to get close to you…”

“Ehh? W-Why did you suddenly say that? It’s really mean…”

I guess Keita’s thought that he’s being despised for being too “disgusting” with his incredible paranoia. He drooped his head down. I quickly tried to smooth things over.

“No, it’s not like that. I don’t think you’re disgusting, nor am I feeling uncomfortable. I’m serious. It’s real.”

“It just hurts me even more when you’re trying your best to explain!”

“It’s more like, the real problem is that I don’t hate this…”

“Eh? W-What’s wrong, K-Kiriya-san? Don’t tell me you’re into that…”

“No, I’m normal. However, it’s even more problematic because I’m normal…”

“Hmm? I have no idea what you’re talking about…”

“…In a sense, I have no idea too.”

I sighed helplessly. Then, I leaned directly onto the back of the computer chair.

Keita still hasn’t resumed the gameplay yet. He even asked me this.

“…Am I…bothering you whenever I come here to play?

“Eh?”

This question made me sat upright again as I faced Keita. So, I found out that his innocent eyes are filled with worry. A tinge of pain immediately hit my chest.

(I invited him out of my personal convenience, but I didn’t check if everything’s okay since I’m an idiot. At last, I’m even despising him for being a nuisance due to my secrets. …Who do I think I am?)

I’m frustrated at my own small-mindedness.

I…sighed. Then, I answered Keita with a casual university student’s smile just as usual.

“Impossible. Jeez, you’re always losing faith in yourself. I don’t think it’s good.”

“Huh? Ah, I’m sorry…”

“Keita. I want to ask, why did you think that you’re bothering me?”

“Well, …it’s, …uh, …I don’t have any reasons…”

Keita looked down apologetically.

His face finally…forced me to make up my mind. I stood up from the chair. Then, I quickly took a seat next to him. After that, I put my legs inside the kotatsu’s blanket, not caring about our shoulders and backs touching. I even told Keita this with a smile.

“There’s no reason for me to think that you’re a bother. Here, most importantly, it’s time for you to continue playing. Alright, Jiraiya?”

“…Yes. You’re right. I got it, Tora.”

My encouragement and expression finally made Keita smile in relief as he answered. So, he started playing <Gulf Party> once again.

I looked at his face as I reaffirmed my determination.

(If that’s the case, I have to keep my gender a secret no matter what. This is already…not just for myself. It’s for Keita, …and Keita’s girlfriend as well.)

Honestly, I used to think, “whatever, he’ll found out sooner or later.” However, I’m serious from this point on. I’m okay with whatever happens to me. But, …but I can’t ruin his happiness. That’s why I have to eliminate everything that can expose the fact that I’m a girl-

“Ah, by the way, Kiriya-san. I can’t get this thing off my mind today, so I want to ask you…”

“Hmm? What is it? Hey, no need to be polite, just ask me, dude. I will never hide anything from you!”

“Yeah? Then I’ll really ask you…”

During this time, Keita’s still focused on the game screen. Yet, he used his left index finger to point at the corner of the room. Then, he asked casually.

“What’s that over there? It looks like a bra…”

“!”



I slowly looked over there with a pale face. There’s indeed a bra at the corner of the room. …I should say that sports bra of mine is casually thrown onto the ground. I picked it because I value comfort over beauty.

(WWHHHHHAAAATTT! HOW! Did it fall out from the laundry basket!? Nothing like this has happened before! W-Why did it happen today…!?)

I’m falling into a mess of embarrassment and all kinds of emotions. Even so, I scrambled my brain for an excuse.

“Uh, well, …while that…thing looks like a bra, it’s actually a kneepad-“

“It ain’t true!”

“Eek!”

The sudden and violent Kansai-ben freaked me out. After I took a look, I realized that it’s the audio from the game.

Keita remained focused on the game. At the same time, he glanced at me before laughing out loud.

“Haha, Tora, you’re really good at imitating!”

“…Eh?”

“Your face is covered in sweat, and you look really desperate. …It’s exactly like the desperate <Money-losing Thing> in <Gulf Party>! You’re amazing!”

“Eh, …ah, right, it’s the same, right? H-Hoho, I’m really confident in my imitating skill.”

I said that as I left the kotatsu naturally and seamlessly. Then, I walked to the corner of the room. I blocked Keita’s sight with my body to prevent him from seeing me picking up the bra-

“While you’re good at it, that thing isn’t a kneepad, right.”

“----“

-I stopped moving when I’m about to pick it up.

…I can feel he’s gazing at me sharply from behind.

“The texture clearly doesn’t seem like it. It’s more like, …I’m pretty sure that’s a bra. Also, I was just asking why is there a bra here. …Hoho, …Tora, your excuse is weird…”

“…………”

My forehead is covered in sweat. …I feel it. I can clearly feel that a high school boy is staring at me with incredibly evil eyes from behind. Even though, at the same time, I know that it’s just my paranoia getting the better of me. But even if that’s true, what’s wrong with this guy? Although he’s usually an innocent and dense teenager, why does he get smart at the wrong place and time?

When the game is playing the climax BGM since the <Money-losing Thing> is desperate, I…I made up my whole mind. Then, I grabbed the bra and turned to him.

“It can’t be helped once you found out. Yes, …this is from the beautiful university girl next door. It’s Ao’s bra!”

“Ehh!”

Keita’s freaking out this time. He’s blushing slightly and even stopped playing as he looked at me.

“You’re saying…that out-of-this-world, elegant, and beautiful lady that I’ve never talked to despite meeting her for a few times. The Ao-san that’s a friend of you?”

“Yes, and this is her bra. Come, you can take a close look at it, Keita.”

“I-I’m not looking!”

Keita immediately acted like a child and looked away. Very well. …This way, I can avoid him from observing the bra for too long. …Also, I can prevent him from realizing that this thing can never fit Ao’s plumpy chest.

After I hastily shoved the bra inside the wardrobe, Keita asked me nervously while blushing.

“B-But if that showed up here, …it means that…she and you…”

“Hey, hey, hey, …you shouldn’t ask anything further. Don’t force it out of my mouth, man.”

I scratched my cheeks and gave him an embarrassing smile. So, Keita answered. “I-I see…” He’s entirely convinced.

“…I can’t believe you can just casually talk about that. …Uni students are really mature…”

“Y-Yeah, right? Even so, this is a girl’s bra, after all. So, I was a bit embarrassed and can’t help but lie to you. Sorry, Keita.”

“R-Really, I see. It’s okay. I should be the one apologizing for knowing something this private. How should I put it? I initially thought…it’s just ‘I bought that as a prank between my boys’ before laughing and call it a day. …I didn’t expect this to get 18+ real fast…”

“Ugh…”

Crap! Even if I’m lying, it’s clearly way easier to make it through if I just followed what he said! Why did I drag Ao into this mess! Well, even though it’s too late to regret it now!”

No matter what, Keita let go of the bra incident already as he started playing the game again. Finally, he arrived at the cutting ties scene. Summarizing the information that appeared earlier, the main character has to clearly reject the <Money-losing Thing>’s seduction to make her give up. In conclusion, this is the climax of a douche.

I looked at Keita playing the game silently and dazedly as I sighed on the inside.

(There are too few lines that can be used in the video. …It looks like I can only archive the recording this time…)

Sigh, even so, at least I made it through that whole bra thing. So…

“This is who you really are, idiot!”

“EEEK!”

On the screen, Supreme Rintaro yelled at the <Money-losing Thing> brutally. She spewed foams out of her mouth and fainted.

After the retort part is over, Keita looked at the screen and bitterly smiled as he expressed his feelings.

“Initially, I can’t immerse myself with the protagonist in this game for even a little. …However, after I actually played it, I realized the plot is more interesting than I expected. I didn’t believe the <Money-losing Thing> the protagonist is actually worse than him…”

“Yeah, this game did a fantastic job at this part. In reality, the main character is nothing but a jerk. However, he managed to uncover the <Money-losing Background>’s darkest secrets. At the end, when the douche main character pushed the lowest scum <Money-losing Thing> to her desperation. It somehow feels refreshing.”

“I didn’t expect the <Money-losing Thing> has been stealing the company’s money.”

“The plot is really creative and unexpected when a sudden evil person is exposed during a drinking party like this. It’s nice, right.”

“Yeah. Right, speaking of unexpected, the part where this <Money-losing Thing> is actually a man is quite shocking too! If plots, where the gender is misinterpreted, can exist like this, it really gives off a fictitious feeling. After all, it’s not so easy to mess up someone’s gender in real-life, right!”

“Y-You’re right…”

I secretly looked away. …Did this guy say it on purpose?

The game screen showed <The End of Chapter 1>. So, Keita put down the controller and continued with an innocent smile.

“However, the protagonist later said this manly, ‘I do think that a guy is a guy. It’s fine.’ It freaked me out too.”

“Yeah, Supreme Rintaro is a male protagonist that feels more unbelievable the more you know him…”

Even though this counts as a spoiler, this young man got through the final chapter with his fantastic inference skills. First, he managed to retort a beauty that’s actually the best serial killer in history. …In the end, he even got to bring another beautiful girl home. Then, it’s the <Happy Ending>. …Honestly, when I played this for the first time, I really suspected that whether the developers are insane. At the same time, I laughed a long while.

I put the games back as I became lost in thoughts dazedly.

It’s because I can sometimes encounter an impressive title like this. That’s why I-

“It’s because I can sometimes encounter an impressive title like this. That’s why I’m addicted to gaming!”

“…Eh?”

Keita pulled a fast one and said what I wanted to first. I can’t help but look back at Keita.

So, …he said his thanks to me with a cheerful and innocent smile.

“I have to thank you for today too, Kiriya-san! I really feel blessed for when I get to play new games with you. I’m always looking forward to this these days!”

Things happened at that moment.

I can feel…a tinge of pain in my chest.

“…R-Really, me too, Keita.”

I answered Keita with a smile. Then, I pretended that I’m packing up the games as I pressed my chest tightly.

(I, …is a person like me even worthy of being treated with Keita’s smile? I’m…lying to him to preserve my reputation. …Aside from that, I faked my gender and carried a giant bomb that can destroy his happiness instantly…)

Initially, I thought everything’s fine as long as I can use him.

That’s just like the <Money-losing Thing> in <Gulf Party>. I was exactly like that.

It’s not my fault even if Keita has a girlfriend. …I can just casually make excuses, anyway. I didn’t think about this for too much.

After all, as a matter of fact, there’s nothing between Keita and me. It’s true even for this moment. It should be like that.

However…

(…Really? …At least, …Keita’s already not an “irrelevant stranger” to me anymore…)

His life and happiness could be ruined by me at any seconds. I’m incredibly horrified by that.

It’s because…he’s already my friend. …Indeed, it’s because he’s my precious friend. That’s why…

I put the game disc into the box as I continued thinking with a solemn face.

(…How about I just tell him that I’m a girl and end this…)

I thought of that. However, a different sense of pain appeared in my chest. …I’m so self-centered. I want to protect him because I value him. It’s not because I can use him for recording videos. Right now, …I feel nothing but happiness when I get to play games with him here. There are no evil thoughts hidden in this. Also, …it should be the same for him too.

I looked at Keita dazedly, who’s preparing to go home. …So, in the end, I still reached the usual conclusion.

(Sigh, to put it simply, I have to keep this as a secret…)

This is the only road for everyone to be happy. Although this sounds like an excuse for cheating, we didn’t actually do anything terrible, …currently.

(No, what’s “currently” for! It’s not going to happen in the future!)

“Hmm? What’s wrong, Kiriya-san? Are you practicing shaking your head?”

“I-It’s okay, I’m fine. Right, Keita, I’ll go out with you just as usual.”

“Ah, I got it. Then, I’ll get my shoes on and wait for you at the entrance.”

“O-Okay? I’m sorry.”

I looked at Keita Amano as he quickly walked to the entrance. Then, I let out a deep sigh alone.

“Ay, no matter what, I still have to keep lying to protect everyone’s happiness.”

I can whine about the guilt next time. From a gamer’s perspective, the best solution for this situation is “don’t get discovered.” It’s like an RTA. Although I have to bet on a route that’s unlikely to win, there’s no need to observe as long as it can lead to the best ending. All I need to do is take the challenge.

Although real life is different than RTAs, the only and most significant problem is that you can’t rechallenge it…

“Kiriya-san, are you still not done?”

“Ah, oh, sorry, coming!”

I stopped thinking, and hastily grabbed my feather vest. After that, I dashed to the entrance, where Keita’s waiting for me.

“Ah.”

When Keita and I arrived at the car park near the convenience store, we met up with someone going home at the wrong place and time.

“Ah, Ao…”

Since I just made up a baffling lie to Keita, I’m exceptionally nervous even when it’s just my elegant university lady from next door.

Also, Ao’s face turned stiff as well.

“Ayumu-san, and…”

Ao looked at the high school boy next to me. So, Keita has never met her before. …Also, after he heard the lie I just told (the unusual relationship between Ao and me), he lowered her head and greeted Ao even more stiffly than usual.

“I-I-I-I’m K-Keita Amano! I-I’m in class 2F of Otobuki High School, 17 years old!”

“I see, you’re really polite. I’m Ao Saika, in the same university as Kiriya-san-“

“Y-Yes, I already know you! T-Thank you!”

“R-Really? Me too.”

After the talk, the two of them shook hands stiffly.

I sighed in relief as I pressed my chest subconsciously. However, after a while, …Keita Amano freaked out and said something he’s not supposed to say.

“Uh, well, Tora, …no, K-Kiriya-san cared a lot for me…”

“Oh, …Kiriya-san cared you a lot. I see…?”

Ao squinted her eyes silently as she started to radiate darkness. …She’s clearly letting her imagination go wild. I let out a huge sigh and tried to explain to Ao.

“It’s not that, Ao. The things he talked about are just related to gaming…”

At this point, I don’t even know what’s on Keita Amano’s mind. He suddenly interrupted and helped to smooth things over.

“Y-Yeah, of course! I didn’t do anything dangerous. Please relax, Kiriya-san’s beloved girlfriend!”

“…Huh? Ayumu-san’s…g-girlfriend…? Hey, what are you talking about…?”

Ao froze from her confusion. Keita tilted his head after seeing her reaction. …This could go bad.

I quickly grabbed Ao’s shoulder…and hugged her. Then, I even let Keita seeing us sticking together as I made up an excuse.

“H-Haha, …Ao’s surely easy to be embarrassed, jeez!”

“Hey, Ayumu-san!”

Ao’s eyes floated around as her face blushed hard. Hmm, while I’m not sure what’s wrong, her reaction is excellent, as if she really fell in love with me.

I hugged Ao by the shoulder tightly as I told Keita.

“So, sorry, Keita. I’m going to the convenience store with Ao. I’ll see you around.”

“Ah, right. Well, thanks for sharing your happiness today as well. The same goes for Saika-san, goodbye.”

“Eh? Ah, sure, goodbye…”

Keita Amano’s politeness made Ao froze as she answered. We smiled as we saw him leaving. Then, we lowered our volumes and quickly talked.

“…Ayumu-san, did I become your girlfriend, right?”

“Ugh, …alright. I’ll explain everything about this later…”

“Okay. Well, I already know a bit, anyway.”

You’re amazing, Saika-sama. She’s born into a family environment where it’s all about political trickery, even if she’s just dealing with her relatives. You really need to sensitive. The girl has to always rely on her terrific observance.

“Ay, the simplest explanation is that I found out that the guy has a girlfriend.”

“Huh? See, I already told you before…”

Ao sighed. But for some reason, she’s not as pissed as I thought, …even though she was forced to go along with the lie I made up. …What a generous friend. I apologized sincerely.

“…I can’t face you anymore.”

“…It’s okay. There will be something for me if he thinks you’re a guy, anyway.”

“Hmm? Why?”

“Eh? Ah, it’s nothing. Well…”

Ao started scratching her cheeks as she tried to continue. To make her clarify the meaning, I took a step closer to her-

“Eh? He’s gone already. That’s strange…”

-Just as I’m about to ask her, suddenly, we can hear a girl mumbling to herself loudly.

The two of us looked over there in confusion. Then, we saw…a refreshing high school girl that doesn’t really match this rural area.

She seems to be looking for her friend as she took a look around. …Ay, I guess that’s not related to us, no matter what.

Ao and I glanced at each other. After that, we stopped chatting and walked to the store, without paying too much attention to that girl-

“But I think I just saw Amanocchi around here…”

-When we’re walking, I think both of us heard an “alias” that we can’t ignore, so we stopped.

That high school girl somehow noticed our reaction with her observant eyes. Then, she said this very casually to strike up a conversation with us. “Uh, I’m sorry…”

“W-What’s wrong?”

We turned around a bit nervously. After that, she asked us a question in an unexpectedly polite manner that doesn’t match her gal appearance.

“Sorry for suddenly calling you two. I think I just saw Aguri’s underling, …no, uh, i-it’s my friend. Can I ask whether the two of you know him?”

“Uh, …the friend you’re referring to is…?”

“He’s Amanocchi. …No, uh, his name is Keita Amano.”

“!”

Our hearts immediately started pounding hard. As for me, …I told this seemingly-to-be “Aguri” girl. “Ah, just a second.” Then, I turned around with Ao, and we started discussing this with an ultra-low voice and super speed.

(She appeared right when we said it! She’s that guy’s girlfriend, right? She’s the girlfriend, right?)

(P-Please calm down, Ayumu-san. This girl just said that she’s Amano’s friend…)

(Keita can’t have such a cute girlfriend! That guy is a loner!)

(Why you always look down on Amano? He really has a girlfriend.)

(So, this girl is definitely that girlfriend! She’s cute! She’s insanely adorable!)

(…Oh.)

(Hey, what are you suddenly getting sulky? Forget about that, if she’s Keita’s girlfriend…)

(Here comes the rom-com situation. You deserved it.)

(Now’s not the time to act calmly, Ao! For the two of us, your look is the exact girl who will seduce a young high school boy! Perhaps you’re the one to be stabbed first!)

(There’s a limit for dragging someone into this! How did you judge that from my look!? I would never-)

(Anyway, we have to make this through somehow!)

(Sigh, …I understand. All I need to do is help you, right. Here goes.)

After Ao and I finished our supersonic whispers, we turned towards her. …Then, both of us smiled and spoke up.

“I don’t know, Keita Amano? I don’t know a boy with such a name, …yep.”

“I-I’ve never heard him before. Well, there’s indeed a high school boy around here. …However, we don’t know him either.”

Facing our lie, she…didn’t seem to mind and said. “I see!” She accepted our answer.

“I feel quite sorry for asking a weird question like this.”

“Ah, it’s fine. This is nothing.”

I replied with a smile. …Then, I pretended everything’s alright as I asked further.

“Uh, by the way, is that high school boy your…boyfriend or something?”

“Eh?”

The high school gal froze. After a while, …she suddenly laughed out loud as if she’s sincerely humored by this.

“I-I can’t believe you said Amanocchi is my boyfriend…! Ahaha, c-crap, that’s too ridiculous. I can’t stop laughing! No, no, no, that’s absolutely impossible! My boyfriend would never be a disgusting otaku like that! Saying that Amanocchi’s my boyfriend, …ho, ho, ho, crap, I’m already laughing when I imagined it..! …Hahaha!”

(It looks like both of them are super close!)

What’s this feeling? The person in question denied it, and it doesn’t sound like she’s lying too. However, that just makes people think that they’re super close. What is this? What’s happening? What should we do with the girlfriend suspicion now? I think the mystery got even more puzzling after we asked her.

Ao and I have no idea what’s the relationship between this Aguri girl and Keita Amano as we froze. As for her, she wiped the tears at the corner of her eyes after she finished laughing.

(T-Those are tears after she laughed too hard, right? Right!?)

Once we got suspicious, every detail began to look meaningful. Don’t tell me the girl couldn’t hold her tears back because she thought her boyfriend is cheating with us? It’s impossible, right?

Just as Ao and I remained still, this girlfriend said, “It’s almost time.” After that, she turned around.

“Well, I’ll be leaving. Sorry for asking weird questions.”

“Eh? R-Really? It’s okay, it’s okay.”

I waved stiffy, and Ao followed me too. As for Aguri, she showed an extremely calming smile.

(A-Anyway, …it looks like she didn’t find out the relationship between Keita and I, right?)

Let’s ignore the relationship between Keita and her first. I feel like we got out of this contact safely.

When Ao and I pressed our chests in relief as Aguri leaves, she…turned around in the middle with a smile. After that, she rolled our tongue out and said this at last.

“Exactly! Amanocchi can never be friends with ‘such beautiful girls,’ after all! I was impolite! See you!”

“…………”

Ao and I waved our hands while smiling as we fell silent for a moment.

…………

…………

…Huh, I think she just said something important when she left…

…………

…!

So, we looked at each other’s faces after she disappeared completely.

Although our faces turned pale, …we can’t help but yell at the top of our lungs.

“She can easily tell that I (Ayumu-san) am a girl!”

The mysterious high school gal that can tell my gender in one-go, along with her unusual relationship with Keita Amano – Aguri.

-Our live streaming days just got another colossal landmine.

<Time until Keita Amano’s girlfriend enters Ayumu Kiriya’s apartment: 5 months>



Previous Chapter Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment