Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Gamers Volume 8 Chapter 6

Chapter 6 – Gamers and Abstract Christmas

Translator: your_pingas

December 24, Sunday. 2 PM.

“Kousei, you’re really not going to the Christmas party with me?”

After I got on my shoes, I turned my head around and asked my little brother – Kousei Amano. He leaned on the wall of the corridor as he crossed his arms and answered me with a bitter smile.

“Nope. I don’t feel comfortable going to a Christmas party full of senpais.”

“Really? Ah, but think about it, the party ended up at Hoshinomori’s home because their parents aren’t there. So, Konoha-san will be there as well.”

“About the part where brother thinks that this is the reason why I may go to the party, I’ll investigate this seriously later. However, I’m really not trying to be polite. Please don’t worry about me.”

“Chiaki’s home feels super comfy.”

“Well, I do think that I should pay a visit to my older brother’s wife.”

“Older brother’s wife?”

“…It’s nothing. Anyway, you don’t need to mind. Just go and have fun, brother. Stay safe.”

Kousei waved his hands casually as if he’s forcing me to leave. …This little brother doesn’t care about his older brother that much.

I sighed. “Alright, alright, I’ll be leaving.” After I waved my hands, I grabbed my bags and left my home.

It takes around 50 minutes from Amano’s house to Hoshinomori’s place by bus and the additional walking. First of all, I need to take the bus heading towards the downtown station and then take the one that leads toward Hoshinomori’s home.

I arrived at the station at 2:15 PM. If everything goes right, I can arrive at Chiaki’s place before 2:50.

“Alright.”

I grabbed my bags heavily filled with games and gifts as I walked towards the bus stop heading to Hoshinomori’s home.

“…Oh, it started snowing.”

When I’m looking up to the sky, I found out that snowflakes are falling from the thin clouds. Well, since I live in the north, I don’t treasure snow that much. Even so, I do appreciate the snow for adding a little bit of mood towards Christmas night.

I walked towards the stop as I stared at the sky blankly. Then, …I can’t help but vent out my emotions along with the white fumes.

“…I’m looking forward to it…”

In the end, …my sentence overlapped with someone else, and it freaked me out. It looks like someone arrived at the bus stop first. I quickly looked downwards to check out who that is and apologize. -At this moment, I immediately snapped out.

“…T-Tendou-san?”

“A-Amano…-kun?”

A beautiful angel stood before the snow. -No, she’s my ex-girlfriend, Karen Tendou.

“…………”

For some reason, we just kept staring at each other. Our eyes are locked as the snow floats across midair silently.

…My face is flaring up, and my heart is pounding hard. …Why do my chest still feel so bitter and helpless…when I’m facing this girl, Karen Tendou, no matter how long it is? Although I understand that this “unwilling to let go” mindset will make Tendou-san upset, …even so, I can’t help it.

“…Well-“

Both of us spoke at the exact same time accidentally. Then, we fell silent again.

…Come to think of it, this isn’t exactly a “fateful encounter” you see in movies.

We’re going to the same party, anyway. Meeting each other at the same time and place, of course, I’ll coincidentally, …or definitely see her.

In other words, I can’t get excited over “it’s my fate to meet Tendou-san” in an encounter like this. …Uh, I’m actually thrilled. Welp, I managed to suppress my emotions down. …After that, I barely gave Tendou-san a successful “normal” style.”

“H-Hello, Tendou-san. What a coincidence.”

So, rarely, Tendou-san…smiled stiffly and answered.

“Y-Yeah, hey, Amano-kun. Y-You’re right, what a coincidence. Yeah, I didn’t expect to see you here. There’s no such thing as fate. How should I put it? This is a probable ‘coincidence,’ yes.”

“Y-Yes…”

I replied to her like that as I looked away temporarily. …Then, I quickly pressed my chest!

(T-That was close! I nearly said this is “fate” or something like that! Yeah! Even though we were dating, it’s too disgusting to put the word “fate” on trivial things like this!)

I barely got a hold of myself and sighed in relief. After that, I answered Tendou-san.

“If we think that it’s “fate” to see each other on the road leading towards the same destination, doesn’t that make us stalkers, right!”

“Y-Yeah. Yes, you’re right. I think so too, Amano-kun! Yes, exactly!”

After I said that, for some reason, Tendou-san looked away from me and pressed her chest…? What’s wrong with her? Nausea?

When she finally cleared her throat and turned towards me, …she already reverted to the usual “Karen Tendou” mode and chatted with me.

“Well, it looks like Kousei-kun isn’t going, right?”

“Yeah, you’re right. However, I guess he worried about going to a party surrounded by older people.”

After I said that, Tendou-san looked down slightly and mumbled for some reason.

“…No, I don’t think he’s the type that worries things like that…”

“Hmm? Ah, Kousei got really close to you guys last time, after all…”

“…I-Instead of saying he got closer to us, …no, nevermind. Well, I guess it’s still the usual 6 people today.”

“Yeah, the five of us in the Game Hobby Club and Konoha-san. That’s 6 people.”

“Naturally, we’re borrowing Hoshinomori’s home.”

Just as we’re chatting, the bus to Hoshinomori’s house arrived.

Tendou-san followed me and stepped onto the stairs. The bus is empty. Then, Tendou-san sat down at the double seat first. I also- almost sat next to her before coming to my realization.

(W-We aren’t dating anymore. Can I sit next to a girl like it’s nothing?)

I think I’m about to sit next to Tendou-san just then. However, come to think of it, …that’s a bit overstepping, right.

Luckily, no one is on the bus. In other words, there’s no problem for me to take a double seat alone.

So, …I changed my mind and sat at the double seat in front of Tendou-san.

“Phew…”

I sat next to the window and put my bags aside before sighing. …Alright, I managed to prevent myself from making the wrong choice again. I didn’t misjudge the distance we need to keep after we broke up…

So, at the moment that I’m about to press my chest in relief.

“…!”

…I can feel someone staring daggers into my neck…from behind. …I’m in danger.

I shivered as I tried to glance back and check out what’s happening tremblingly.

I saw…

“…*smiling*.”

…Karen Tendou-san is smiling at me with an angelic face.

…………

I can guarantee this. I, Keita Amano, have never seen something more terrifying in my 17 years of life than the hellish aura released by this person.

I hastily turned and faced the front again as I thought about it with a face full of sweat!

(Eh, why! Why is this girl mad at me! Is it because I didn’t sit next to her? Eh, but we aren’t dating now! If I just sat next to her like it’s nothing, doesn’t that make me a crappy simp that pretends to be close with his ex-girlfriend!)

Honestly, I can’t accept the fact that she’s angry at me. …Since I can’t get it, while I’m still scared, I barely managed to…squeeze out a protesting suspicion to her from my dried throat.

“Uh, …Tendou-san?”

I glanced at my back. As for Tendou-san, …she kept her angelic face plastered.

“Yes, what can I help you, cowar- Keita Amano-kun?”

This girl just tried to call me a coward, right? …Sigh, whatever.

“Uh, …think about it, we’re…not dating now, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Exactly. If that’s the case, …it’s okay for us to sit separately on the bus, right?”

“…I-I guess it’s okay.”

I can hear someone biting her fingernails from behind. …That’s scary. So, what? What do you want, Karen Tendou-san? You’re the one that broke up with me, right?

Anyway, I won’t die if I don’t provoke the school idol. …I think this concept quickly embedded into my mind after I met her. I stared at the scenery outside of the window silently.

…So, around a minute passed. “Ahem!” I can hear Tendou-san’s intimidating cough from behind. After that, …this blonde girl started talking to herself.

“Ah, ah, it’s a bit cold today. …I-I even put my bag onto my lap. I-It’s so warm. …Even though the seat next to me is empty, perhaps…it’s still pretty warm.”

“…………”

“…B-But, it’s strange. I still feel a bit cold. Yeah. W-Why is that? Did I catch a cold? Oh, I guess it would better if someone can sit next to me and warm me up-“

During this time, the kind bus driver from the rural areas broadcast something.

“Ah, I’ll turn up the heater for you, passenger.”

“…Ugh! …T-Thank you, driver-san…!”

The school idol behind thanked the bus driver unwillingly before quieting down. …Also, the bus is already quite hot. If the heater’s turning up, we will sweat for real. Well, at least no other passengers are dragged into this mess.

“…………”

A suffocating silence, a somehow scorching bus, sweaty skins, and a couple that just broke up.

…This is literally hell. What kind of Christmas night is this, …Jesus.

“…Sigh.”

So, I sighed deeply before grabbing my bags and standing up.

After that…

“Eh?”

I came next to Tendou-san, who’s still confused, and took a seat blatantly. …It’s hot. Since I’m really close to Tendou-san, it’s several times hotter. However…

My eyes remained locked onto the corridor as I spoke to her a bit roughly.

“…That’s enough.”

“What?”

“I’m saying that…I decided to not care anymore. Feel free to scold at me for being a stalker. Even though it’ll cause a lot of troubles for Tendou-san, …I’ll do whatever I want right now.”

“…………”

Tendou-san didn’t say anything. …Ugh, this is really embarrassing.

I covered up my embarrassment and continued.

“…S-So, Tendou-san, although you must be boiling up right now, I don’t care. It’s simple. You can think of this as revenge from a rejected guy. Please give up. Sorry, but I’m this disgusting.”

I gave up on myself and vented out to her.

As for Tendou-san, …she sat next to me and chuckled before giving me a response.

“Jeez, I caný believe you’re sitting next to me when it’s so hot. This ex-boyfriend is surely annoying. Ay, even though you’re such an annoying person, …I guess I can let you sit next to me for a bit.”

“R-Really? …Well, I-I’ll do what you said then.”

“Y-Yeah, …uh, …please take a seat.”

…So, for a short couple minutes -and within a baffling environment that is inside of the bus, even so-

The two of us still maintained a loving atmosphere as we spent the time right before Christmas.

*

In the end, Tendou-san and I arrived at Hoshinomori’s home 10 minutes before the meeting time. When Chiaki came to the entrance to pick us up, both of us remembered that mandatory dating last time. So, for a moment, both of us nearly freaked out. However, since Tendou-san is here as well, we barely managed to contain our confusion and embarrassment.

When we were lead into the living room, Konoha-san greeted us with a simple wave. Then, the doorbell rang. It must be Uehara-kun and Aguri-san. I guess these two bumped into each other coincidentally on the bus as well. From their slightly awkward yet satisfied expression, I bet they experienced when Tendou-san and I just did too.

Aguri-san and I accidentally made eye-contact, so we smiled at each other a bit embarrassingly.

So, when the introduction is over, everyone took a seat around the table in the living room. After everyone got a cup of orange soda, Uehara-kun held his cup and stood up before clearing his throat.

Standing in front of the small yet slightly elegant Christmas tree in Hoshinomori’s home, Uehara-kun spoke up nervously.

“Uh, with everyone related to the Game Hobby Club in here, I’m sincerely-“

However, Aguri-san interrupted him and raised her glass.

“Here. Everyone, cheers!”

“Cheers!”

We yelled at the same time. Everyone’s cups touched each other aside from Uehara-kun. Then, we took a sip of the orange soda. Uehara-kun is the only one complaining. “Hey, you guys!” His reaction really fits his character. However, he’s actually laughing cheerfully. Ay, I guess Uehara-kun expected Aguri-san to cut him off.

He sat back down helplessly and cheered with Aguri-san, who’s next to him. So, when everyone put their cups back onto the table, Uehara-kun became the host again.

“Well, even though this is a party, we didn’t plan too much for the schedule. So, what should we do next? Play video games?”

To his suggestion, everyone gave a subtle reaction. “Hmm…”

The reason for that…isn’t because we hate games. …Uh.

Uehara-kun smiled bitterly and explained it.

“Ay, r-right. Everyone still cares about…the ‘present exchange’ activity.”

We all smiled helplessly at what he said.

Present exchange.

This is the only activity we agreed on in advance of this Christmas party with basically no rules.

As for the content, …hmm, it’s what it says. A standard gift exchange. Everyone will bring one present respectively, …and then we shuffle and hand them out randomly. It’s a bit cliché.

However, …initially, everyone didn’t feel comfortable with this suggestion.

This is bound to happen. After all, …uh…

We’re the ones participating in this activity.

We can’t see any good results from randomly exchanging presents.

(Nothing good will happen, anyway!)

Everyone shared the same idea. To that, I think the organizer, Uehara-kun, knew that full well too. …However, even so, he still strongly insisted that we do it. This is his perspective.

“Eh, if we’re taking away the present exchange as well. At this point, what are we going to do at the Christmas party?”

Also, Uehara-kun emphasized the following as he continued.

“Don’t spend too much effort on it. Let’s put all the love and relationships aside first. This is just a simple present exchange among friends, alright? It’s a part of games, so come play it.”

He said that. Well, there’s no reason for us to vehemently reject it.

So, we prepared our gifts and brought them to the party today…

Konoha-san mumbled with a bitter smile.

“However, honestly, I’m still feeling very restless after all that. The present exchange activity.”

Aguri-san agreed.

“Konocchi is right. …Well, how about we exchange gifts first?”

Upon hearing Aguri-san’s suggestion, …we glanced at each other. …Then, everyone nodded.

“Yeah. I don’t feel like playing video games under anxiety too!”

“R-Right. I’m the type that finishes her homework first.”

“Y-Yes! Well, …let’s do it! Everyone gets their presents out!”

So, under Uehara-kun’s order, we quickly started the present exchange.

In reality, what we need to do is very simple. We just hand out the gifts based on the results of the reshuffling app. It’s completely randomized, aside from the setting of the app that prevented us from drawing our own present.

Chiaki clicked on the tablet and showed the app on the TV.

We gulped and stared at the screen.

…Honestly, if you want me to tell the truth-

…We lied about the friends giving presents out cheerfully part.

In reality, everyone wanted to exchange presents with the one they love.

T-That’s guaranteed, right! After all, it’s Christmas! Also, we’re currently in a situation where everyone’s relationships aren’t going great!

It’s tough for us to not look forward to some Christmas miracles!

“…………”

Due to that, the “exchanging gifts cheerfully” part disappeared right away. Everyone’s looking at the screen while praying. Even Uehara-kun, the one who brought up the bright idea, stared at the screen with a vicious face. …Y-You’re pretty worked up, right…

So, under a web of complicated thoughts and prayers, the result is finally revealed. -This is a list of presents that everyone got!

Keita Amano: Face massage roll (from Tasuku Uehara)

Tasuku Uehara: Handkerchief for girls (from Keita Amano)

Chiaki Hoshinomori: A series of moe rom-com light novels (from Konoha Hoshinomori)

Konoha Hoshinomori: Leather wallet for boys (from Aguri)

Karen Tendou: Handkerchief for boys (from Chiaki Hoshinomori)

Aguri: Professional game controller for hardcore players (sold out) (from Karen Tendou)

…Ay, after the exchange is over, everyone shared the same thought.

(WHO NEEDS IT!)

Although we did say this is within our expectation, …even so, our hopes were brutally crushed.

As for me, …I rolled the face massage roller on my cheeks as I scolded at Uehara-kun!

“Why did you put a face massage roller as a present! Didn’t you consider the possibility of me getting it!?”

“Who cares about you! That’s what Aguri asked for a while ago…!  N-No, wait, didn’t you buy a handkerchief for girls as a present? What a dull choice from an otaku that doesn’t know how to get along with girls!”

“W-What do you mean by dull! Look, didn’t Chiaki pick a handkerchief for boys as well!”

“…Yep, I got Chiaki-san’s present…”

Tendou-san looked at Chiaki and me very awkwardly. …Uh, uh, well, as for Chiaki, …I guess she wanted to give it to me. That’s why she prepared a handkerchief for boys. …Yes, …that’s why, now that it went to Tendou-san’s hand, I bet Chiaki is upset, naturally.

Also, Chiaki’s staring at something with tears in her eyes, …the series of light novels filled with moe illustrations in her hands which she’s totally uninterested.

“…Konoha, why…”

“W-Why did you bother to ask why…”

Konoha-san quickly died down. …I get it, Konoha-san. I can tell that’s a famous light novel written by the director of hentai games. Actually, she wanted to share it with a partner like me. I get it. While I do understand, …how did you not consider the possibility that your sister, the girl that hates moe elements the most, will receive it in the slightest!?

Moreover, Konoha-san is holding a leather wallet in her hand with a confused look.

“…I’m not too fond of this wallet…”

“I-I didn’t mean to give it to you! I picked that because I think Tasuku likes it!”

“Why! We said that this is a present exchange, right! Isn’t it more possible for people other than him to get it!?”

“Yeah, …you’re right! But everyone can use a wallet! From this perspective, …what the hell am I supposed to do with this!”

“Professional game controller. It’s for the latest console that was just released.”

Tendou-san answered calmly. Aguri-san immediately started bickering with her tearfully.

“But, I don’t even have that console!”

“It’s okay. Uh, please just enjoy the feeling of holding a controller made for your hands.”

“I can’t! You’re way too biased! Can’t I just exchange this with someone else!?”

“W-Wel…”

After Tendou-san fell speechless, everyone’s suddenly immersed in anxiety.

Indeed, …if we just exchange the gifts as Aguri-san said, everyone will be better off. While everyone will be happier, …this way…

(We’ll definitely fight over who’s getting who’s presents!)

This is something that we absolutely understand too. In the end, the festive Christmas party will be entirely over.

If that’s the case, …there’s only one conclusion.

“…………”

Suddenly, including Aguri-san, everyone reached the same conclusion.

We looked at each other before nodding at the same time.

“…Ughhh…”

Everyone…gritted their teeth as they put the presents into their bags.

…………

…Seriously, how did those normies enjoy something like this?

*

“L-Let’s improve the mood with games, play games! Alright?”

To heat up the freezing atmosphere, Tendou-san clapped her hands and suggested us to play video games. Honestly, everyone kind of expected that the present exchange will be a mess. So, actually, we didn’t take that much damage.

We followed Tendou-san and spoke up with an enthusiastic attitude again.

First of all, Uehara-kun agreed to her.

“Sure. Ah, come to think of it, Amano, did you end up bringing a playable board game here?”

“Yes, I did. We can play a simple card game first. Also, you can ask Chiaki about the video game part.”

I threw the topic to Chiaki, who’s sitting next to the table. She nodded and continued.

“Yes. While I can’t find any party game for 6 people, Konoha did help me look for some multiplayer games.”

After she said that, Konoha-san, who’s sitting opposite to Chiaki, nodded.

“In our student council room, I think there are a lot of board games left by past members, so I borrowed them. …From this perspective, I bet the senpais from my school didn’t work in the student council seriously…”

Konoha-san sighed. …Hmm, I’m quite suspicious as to whether the current student council president is serious as well. I’m afraid that her personality is the weirdest. However, I guess I shouldn’t say that since I’m the only one that knows her love for hentai games, after all.

No matter what, we listed the games brought by the Hoshinomori sisters and me out and tried them one by one.

We played Werewolf, Game of Life, and some minigame type stuff. Needless to say, the experience is enjoyable. In the end, we even split into two tables and tried out a strategy board game.

So, 3 hours went by in a flash. I…reached one conclusion from all the party games that I’ve touched on, which is honestly not that many.

(I see. In this genre, the quality of the game isn’t directly reflected by the ratings.)

This is quite a refreshing realization for a thoroughly casual player like me.

Of course, even for current games, …which can be represented by NOBE’s works, the ratings can change based on personal preferences.

However, this becomes more apparent when it comes to party games. Honestly, a bad one can always spice up everyone’s mood. There’s a lot of examples.

For example, one of the card games that Konoha-san brought from the student council, which I suspect was made by previous Hekiyou members, called <Student Council’s Duel>. However, …the design of this game is total crap. To put you into perspective, even the total gaming newbie Aguri-san can tell on the first round. “This game is pretty unbalanced, right?”

However, while we’re unwilling to admit this, …it got us excited because of how terrible it is. Everyone will boo when they saw an unreasonable card. When there’s an unexpected plot twist, the loser even requested. “One more match!” Hmm, honestly, …it’s super fun.

Even so, a poorly designed party game that entirely relies on luck isn’t the only solution, obviously. 

Some are wildly popular among casual players, and that’s why we bought them to play with everyone. Their designs are incredible, indeed. It’s top-tier from a pure game perspective.

Among them, one is very attractive today. …It made Tendou-san and Uehara-kun all hyped up into it – an “abstract strategy” board game.

Abstract strategy game. This term mainly refers to games that have nothing to do with luck in the industry. Even so, there seem to be no clear definitions. Put it simply, I guess you can imagine it as chess. It refers to games that aren’t decided by dices or drawing cards. …Uh, even though this is just something that I read recently.

Then, the abstract strategy games we played today are mostly related to territorial control. Some required us to put things into their assigned areas to expand the territory, while some needed us to utilize knights or castles to expand our realm. The winner is decided by the score.

This genre is way too suitable for gamers, …especially the hardcore faction. Tendou-san and Uehara-kun scrambled their brains to fight each other, and they seem to be running out of breaths.

However, if we want a comparison, Konoha-san and Aguri-san are surprisingly better at this. 

“I guess this is like deciding which coupon you want to spend on buying things.”

This is what Aguri-san said. In reality, she doesn’t play games at all, yet her accurate instinct of when to retreat or attack is useful here.

Also, Konoha-san is even better than her.

“I’m the best at hiding my thoughts and tricking others. I’m a student council president, after all.”

Her momentum is real when she’s holding the pieces and saying all that confidently.

So, the Christmas party was even warmer than expected. Then-

“…Phew.”

After my round is over, I returned to the dining table and took a sip of soda. In front of the TV, Uehara-kun, Chiaki, and Tendou-san, who are more experienced in gaming, are competing fiercely in a minigame match.

“Eh, Amanocchi, you’re not joining them?”

During this time, Aguri-san returned from the toilet and sat in front of me.

I smiled bitterly.

“…Tendou-san is all worked up. I don’t want to fight against her.”

“…I see.”

Aguri-san turned her lazy gaze towards Tendou-san. Right there, …Tendou-san, who’s terrible luck in minigames dragged her down to the lowest score, yet she’s still fighting determinedly with a smile. As for Chiaki and Uehara-kun, …they’re a bit afraid to play against her.

Aguri-san looked back to me once again and smiled gently.

“Ahaha, I feel so relaxed when I’m face-to-face with Amanocchi.”

“Indeed. Right now, it feels like we’re in the family restaurant.”

“Yeah/ Amanocchi, get something for me at the drink bar.”

“I’m not brave enough to open someone else’s fridge. Please just make do with a not-so-iced soda.”

I said that as I poured a flat orange soda into Aguri-san’s glass. However, she immediately complained upon taking a sip. “It’s not cold anymore!” …Why even brother nagging at me.

Aguri-san and I each held a cup of soda as we watched the minigame match between the three of them.

…Suddenly, Aguri-san said this casually.

“Amanocchi, if you and me…”

“What?”

I drank a little soda. Aguri-san’s eyes remained on the minigame screen as she continued.

“If you and I got married, I bet we’ll be happy.”

“…………”

….For a moment, my brain displayed me a picture where I immediately splat out my drink. …However, in reality, I don’t feel pretty shocked. It’s more like, I’m surprised by how calm I am.

I drank my soda before answering flatly.

“Perhaps you’re right.”

…Of course, Uehara-kun and the rest didn’t hear all this. It’d be troublesome if they did. But…I guess Aguri-san and I didn’t really care whether they heard it or not. How should I put it? This conversation is very pure.

Aguri-san continued.

“But, in reality, we won’t date or marry each other at all.”

“Nope. I didn’t even think about it.”

“Why did you repeat that in a graver tone? …Sigh, but don’t you feel like…we can’t convey this message to our respective partners?”

“Yeah, …I really don’t know where’s the problem.”

“I don’t know.”

Both of us sighed helplessly. …I took another sip of my soda, and then something came up to my mind. So, I tried to suggest it.

“Ah, why don’t we just completely cut ties with each other? Should we try that?”

“Oh, …hmm. We…can try that.”

“…………”

“………...”

We stared at the TV screen silently. This time, Tendou-san won, and she put up a victory pose. Uehara-kun, who finished last, looks really unwilling to admit defeat. When Aguri-san and I witnessed that, we can’t help but smile. …Then, we laughed at each other’s reaction.

Aguri-san lay on the table lazily and complained.

“…I feel repulsive to the idea, no matter what.”

“Yeah. …Sigh, is this where we are at fault?”

“Probably…”

Both of us have no idea what to do. Then, just like what we’re usually like at the family restaurant, an aura of helplessness radiated between us.

At this point-

“Hiya, what’s wrong with you two? What’s with the depressed faces?”

Konoha-san returned to the living room and talked to us.


Konoha Hoshinomori

After I put down the board games we finished earlier back into my room, I tidied my looks before heading back to the living room. Then, I found out that Amano-senpai and Agu-senpai are releasing a somewhat depressing aura next to onee-chan, who’s having fun with others.

I sat between them and asked what’s going on. “What?” I sighed dumbfoundedly.

“This means that there’s an erotic relationship between Amano-senpai and Agu-senpai, which you two can’t split no matter what? Is that right?”

“It’s not right at all.”

The two of them denied quickly. …However, I wasn’t serious, anyway.

But I do feel their problem is pretty close to that.

I grabbed some snacks on the table and discussed it with them.

“Basically, the evidence of Amano-senpai and Agu-senpai not seeing each other as a boy and girl isn’t too convincing.”

“But, we emphasized that we aren’t like that.”

I sighed helplessly and continued at Amano-senpai’s retort.

“It doesn’t feel sincere when you keep saying you didn’t.”

“But, it’s true.”

“It’s the same, even when it’s true.”

“Well, what should we do then?”

Amano-senpai is at a loss. …Ah, it feels good to be relied on by him. Thanks to that, I can’t help but inject myself into this trivial matter that doesn’t really benefit me.

After I thought about it for a while, …I came up with a good idea and raised my index finger.

“Well, how about I ask you two a question? Please answer honestly.”

“It’s like a psychological quiz?”

“It’s not that serious, but I guess it’s similar. With your answers, I can judge whether you two, …are you listening? After I asked, you two really need to answer with a sincere heart. Ready?”

Upon hearing my question, they glanced at each other. …However, they immediately answered innocently. “Yes.”

So, when the two are looking at me, I threw the question out.

“How do you feel when you’re imagining each other kissing with their lovers?”

To my question-

Those two…leaned forward and answered with sparkling eyes without any hesitation.

“I’ll be thrilled!”

“Hiya.”

They are way more excited than my expectation, …and it freaked me out a bit. However, the two of them awaited my diagnosis eagerly. …So, I let out a cough and answered.

“W-Well, if there’s no sense of jealousy at all, …it seems to prove that you two aren’t remotely close to cheating.”

“Exactly!”

They are satisfied with my answer, so the two looked at each other in relief. I glanced at them gently…as I let out a sigh in my heart.

(If they can answer that question with “I’m thrilled” right away, in a sense, this relationship isn’t exactly safe either…)

At least, I won’t be this considerate towards a “normal friend” of mine.

Those two pressed their chest in genuine relief, anyway.

“Wow, it feels great to prove your feelings. Aguri-san.”

“Yeah. Indeed, that question was quite reasonable. Yep, describing the feeling you get when you imagine we kissing each of our lovers, that’s amazing. Konocchi is a genius!”

“I-It’s nothing, senpai is overpraising me…”

Why are these people keep admiring me as a master of love recently? I hope they can just leave me alone. I’m already tangled up with figuring out the love of onee-chan and myself-

“Ah, …right. I’ll get some drinks at the convenience store nearby.”

-During this time, Amano-senpai suddenly stood up. The unexpected action freaked me out, but Agu-senpai immediately answered in agreement. “Oh, that’s nice!”

“The drinks aren’t cold anymore. Well, I want juice!”

“Alright, got it. Konoha-san, you want anything?”

Amano-senpai smiled warmly at me.

After I saw his “weird” expression, I…

“…Ah, no. I don’t want anything in particular. …Uh, our house has water and tea.”

“Eh? Ah, alright, but Aguri-san wants juice, and I…want coffee as well. I guess I should go. As for those three, …hmm, it seems that they won’t have the time to answer, so I’ll randomly pick something for them.”

Amano-senpai smiled bitterly at the fanatic gaming trio before quickly wearing his coat and grabbing the wallet from his pocket.

“Take your time.”

“Alright.”

When Agu-senpai sent him off, Amano-senpai swiftly left the living room. The gaming trio didn’t even seem to realize that.

…Okay.

“Eh? What’s wrong, Konocchi?”

I followed senpai and stood up. Agu-senpai tilted her head shockingly and asked.

I took my coat into the living room and answered.

“Uh, I have nothing to do. I plan to go along with senpai and help him.”

I quickly made preparation after I said that. Also, just before the moment I left the living room, I patted onee-chan’s shoulder, who’s still playing.

“Hmm? What’s wrong, Konoha? I’m a bit busy right now-“

“Just hear me out, alright. I’ll tell you…”

I quickly issued some orders to onee-chan, and I ignored her confusion. “Huh?” Anyway, I left down an “I’ll be leaving” and walked towards the corridor.

Senpai seems to be out already. I didn’t see him at the entrance. So, I shoved my feet into my shoes quickly and dashed out of the door after him.

I ran for around 10 seconds. Finally, I turned a corner and caught up with senpai before yelling at him.

“Senpai!”

“Huh! …Eh, K-Konoha-san?”

Senpai freaked out and looked back when he’s suddenly called on a street at night. I hastily went in front of him. Although I’m still catching my breath, I smiled at him.

“I’m going with senpai too. After all, there might be a lot of stuff we need to buy.”

“Eh? No, I’m not planning to buy that much…”

“Alright, alright. Here, let’s go, senpai.”

“Eh? Ah, wait, Konoha-san.”

I hooked senpai’s arm with my as I started dragging him forward. Senpai freaked out at first, but he quickly sighed and gave me a dumbfounded look. “Alright.” He said that and walked beside me.

Senpai tried to push me away forcefully. Although I curled my lips, I didn’t bug him. So, I let go and stayed beside senpai.

Senpai tilted his head a bit deflatedly, yet he’s still stepping forward while remaining silent.

…Both of us walked shoulder-to-shoulder as we continued heading towards the convenience store beneath the night sky silently.

“…………”

Since he was in Hoshinomori’s home that’s pretty crowded and heated up for a while, senpai looks quite uncomfortable. I’m reticent when I’m supposed to stare and force him to talk usually. I guess this made him mind a lot.

He scratched his head awkwardly and tried to squeeze out a chat with me.

“Ah, …well, Konoha-san, are you having fun today?”

“Yes, I’m enjoying it.”

“…Ah, really? I see…”

I didn’t even flip my erotic switch and just replied obediently. It made senpai plop his head down with an extremely frustrated look. …Even though he doesn’t like me blabbing all those erotic things usually, he’s disappointed when I don’t. Senpai is an idiot.

I can’t help but chuckle and stop before dragging senpai’s coat. He stopped puzzlingly.

“Senpai, this is the park where we chatted a while ago. You remember?”

“Eh? Ah, yes, I remember. …The snow’s getting thicker.”

“Yeah.”

“…………”

“…………”

“…Uh, Konoha-san? It’s time for us to go…”

I remained in front of the park. So, senpai suggested to me with a confused face.

After I heard him, I answered with a “yes” and took a couple of steps. …When I’m in front of senpai, I quickly turned around and blocked his path.

Senpai was surprised when I stopped him.

“Uh, …Konoha-san? Aren’t we going to the convenience store…”

As for me, I threw…a question that seems unrelated at first to his face as if I’m cutting him off.

“Senpai tried to ‘imagine’ about it, right? Also, …this time, your heart can’t accept it, right? That’s why you’re running outside to calm your head down.”

“Hmm? What are you talking about? Is this a hentai game meme? Sorry, I don’t understand.”

After he said that, senpai walked next to me as if he’s trying to escape. However, I stopped him determinedly.

“Eh, …w-what do you want?”

Amano-senpai finally threw some angry words at me with a frustrated face.

Facing senpai like that-

I still didn’t back down, and we remained in a silent standoff for a while.

So, …I kept my silence and tried to take the best opportunity.

I grabbed my chance and threw the core question at him, …the boy Keita Amano.

“Senpai, you’re finding this repulsive, right? It hurts you a lot, right? No, you should feel angry, right? Or should I say, it’s all of that? No matter what, …that’s different than what you think about Agu-senpai, right. You were shocked by the difference between the two, right?”

“Hey, Konoha-san, what the hell are you talking about-“

Finally, Amano-senpai tried to push me away impatiently.

As for me, …I looked at his back and yelled at him, not wanting to admit defeat.

“Didn’t you realize you can’t happily imagine onee-chan pairing up with a boy other than you, senpai!?”

“!”

For a moment, senpai stopped walking. …I went around in front of senpai once again. …Then, I asked him with a determined look.

“What’s wrong, senpai? Please, don’t run away…and answer me. I think I have the right to hear your answer.”

“…………”

“…Senpai!”

I forced him to answer-

Senpai lowered his head…and grabbed his upper left arm with his right hand tightly.

So, after a 10-second silence, …he finally answered.

“…It’s exactly like what you said.”

“!”

I can’t help but take a deep breath. This time, senpai vented out all of the emotions at me like a collapsed dam.

“It’s exactly like what you said! Yeah, you’re right, okay! I feel repulsive! When I applied your question to Chiaki, I’m so upset to the point that I’m shocked about it! Even though I feel nothing but happiness when I imagine Aguri-san and Uehara-kun staying together…! However, once I think about Chiaki going out with a stranger, …I…I…!”

“…Senpai…”

I lightly put my hand on his shoulder. So, he grabbed his chest tightly…and spoke to me in a voice that sounds like he’s struck down by regret and is now crying.

“But, I’m such a jerk…! Even though I love Tendou-san…! Even so, …just because Chiaki once confessed to me, …yet I have this disgusting desire of possessiveness towards her…!”

“Senpai, there’s nothing wrong with having such thoughts towards others like that…”

After he heard what I said, …senpai slightly got his cool back and answered.

“…You’re right. At this stage, …I’m still just a jerk for having thoughts like that. …Currently, I barely managed to stop myself from hurting others. This is the only thing…that I’m glad about.”

Senpai said that as he tried to gently put my hand away from his should. He…looked at my eyes once again.

His eyes are filled with sadness, guilt, and…adorned with some sort of determination.

“Due to that, …even  though the bitterness pains me, I should still swallow this feeling down silently and secretly.”

“You’re swallowing it down, …but what are you going to do after that? Do you want to just ignore the feelings you have for onee-chan and go out with Tendou-senpai as if nothing has happened? Is that what you’re going to do?”

My eyes are about to pierce through him-

Senpai, …he replied with a shocked expression.

“Eh, how can a jerk like me choose something that only I’ll benefit? This doesn’t make sense, right?”

“…Eh?”

“So, after I swallowed such an impure feeling towards Chiaki, I, …uh, I plan to disappear from the two girls entirely…”

“…W-What?”

Senpai said something unexpected, and I froze. He quickly waved his hands and answered me.

“Ah, even though I’m saying that I’ll disappear, I’m not really going to go missing. How should I put it? I wanted to disappear from a ‘lover’s’ and a ‘man’s’ perspective, I guess. After all, …a sucker that carries a feeling close to cheating like me can never hope to match those two girls. So, I will try to distance myself as much as possible-“

“-Pfft! Ahahahaha!”

“K-Konoha-san?”

I suddenly burst into laughter, and it freaked senpai out. I put my hands around my stomach and continued laughing. …I tried to wipe my tears away from the laugh and thought.

(Jeez, …this person is just as usual. He’s dumb, innocent, and has a love of cleanliness. …However, that’s why…I want him to be loved.)

When did this all start? I feel like, …even though I’m not the girl that can pair up with him, I’m good as long as this person is happy.

However, this is obviously different than how Agu-senpai feels. After all, I…

Right now, I still actually want to become the no.1 in this boy’s heart.

This made me almost cry. This made me almost went insane.

However, …even so, at the same time, I do agree with that. I can’t help but agree with that.

My most immense happiness comes from the smile of someone that I treasure.

Coincidentally, this is just something beautiful that I mentioned as the student council president of Hekiyou High School on the surface.

(Sigh, …really, when did I turn into a ‘nice woman’ like this?)

I can’t believe I’m thinking about a childish thought seriously. I’ll be happy as long as someone else is.

Also…

I’m actually “carrying” the plan out.

“…Senpai.”

After I laughed for a while, I slightly lowered my head and told this to him

Senpai is still looking at me with a sincerely worried face, …damn.

“…I want to tell you one thing, alright?”

“Hmm? What?”

“Senpai, the feeling that you have for onee-chan, …honestly, what is it?”

“What is it? …Hmm, let me think, …it’s guaranteed to be an ugly sense of possessiveness…”

“No. Let’s take a step back and don’t restrain yourself. …Put all those guilt away first. If we’re describing it in a more sincere and positive sense, what would that be?”

“What would that be? Uh, it’s, …even though I’m impure, …I think that is…”

Senpai scratched his cheeks embarrassingly. Then, he finally admitted defeat and told me.

“Uh, …it’s love, …or something like that.”

I can’t help but grin upon hearing his answer. At the same time, I lowered my head even further.

“Thanks, senpai. Uh, also, I’m sorry.”

“…What?”

Senpai tilted his head with a confused look.

I raised my head. After that, I ignored his confusion and said many things that he’s guaranteed to not understand right now.

“I’m sorry. However, I think senpai’s wish couldn’t be fulfilled.”

“Hmm? What? No, eh, what’s happening? What are you saying?”

“I’m talking about senpai…wanting to swallow the feeling you have for onee-chan and disappear from the two girls from a lover’s perspective.”

“Hmm? Why? Ah, you mean you’re going to intervene next?”

“Hmm, regrettably, I’m not. Instead of saying what I’m going to do, my mission is already over.”

“It’s already over?”

“Yeah. At least, among all the spears pointing at senpai, one of them can’t be saved anymore. It’s because what happened tonight already put it at full throttle towards you.”

“…Uh, Konoha-san? I really don’t understand what you mean…”

“Really? Ah, if you don’t, I can tell you one more thing. …Even though I’m cheating for a bit, …I already warned senpai earlier. Ay, I went out of my way to come to this park. I guess you can say that this is a warning.”

“Coming to the park is a warning?”

“Yes. So, this is like an abstract strategy game, just like the one we played. All of the information is in public now, and there’s no luck involved. In the end, I think nothing can escape my palm.”

“What? Uh, that’s enough. Even if you say that, I really still don’t understand...”

During this time, senpai suddenly realized something and froze.

…It looks like he finally remembered what happened in this park a while ago.

Also-

…The warning he received from me a bit later when we were at the family restaurant.

“…………”

Senpai, …he slowly…turned around…with a pale face…

In other words-

He looked into the direction where my eyes were at the back when we were at a standoff.

“Didn’t I tell you, senpai?”

I saw his look, …no.

I saw their looks. Then, I spoke up with an expression…that appears like I pulled off a prank, yet warmly caring about them at the same time.

“Senpai, you’re at the ‘people secretly approaching you from behind’ month.”

This is because-

After senpai slowly turned his head, he saw what’s in front of him.

“…………”

There’s a lonely girl with a heavily blushed face because her love is granted by a miracle at Christmas.

In other words-

“…Chi..aki…?”

“K-Keita, …well, …uh, ..I-I, …uh, …uh…”

-My onee-chan who’s about to have her wish fulfilled, Chiaki Hoshinomori.


[End of Vol.8]



No comments:

Post a Comment