Monday, May 9, 2022

Too Many Losing Heroines! V2 Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Chihaya Asagumo Doesn’t Know What to Do


Translator: Pingas
Editor: Roi Soleil


It’s been two days since we accepted Chihaya Asagumo’s request for help.

Yanami and I received her emergency message. She told us to come over ASAP.

The meeting spot is the Kalmia Department Store in Toyohashi Station. It’s at the northern entrance of the station.

I quickly walked inside the station from the outdoor platform and looked around.

There aren’t any familiar faces. It seems like I’m the first to arrive. I caught my breath and stood in front of the entrance to Kalmia.

It’s a bit past 2:30 PM. People are busily shopping or standing around waiting for others. It’s hectic.

I lowered my head feeling a tad uncomfortable and mumbled, “Why the hell did I even say I’d help her…?”

I don’t want to expose Yakishio’s secret.

It’s just that this whole situation isn’t doing Yakishio any favors. To be honest, I feel pretty stumped.

So, I can’t help but think, is this the correct answer to this situation?

I can feel someone standing next to me.

I glanced at her. It’s a girl wearing a sailor uniform.

She’s wearing black-rimmed glasses. There are two fluffy braids on her head. She’s eating takoyaki from out of a red box one by one. What the hell? This woman has so much character.

“Eh, Yanami-san!?”

I couldn’t help but call her name. Yanami raised her head and looked at me chicly.

“You finally noticed me, Nukumizu-kun.”

Yanami took off her glasses and folded them.

“Those don’t have lenses, right?”

“It’s just for show. Don’t I look smart in them?”

She doesn’t give off that impression at all. I nodded anyway.

“Even though I don’t know where you got that idea from, what’s with your outfit today?”

“A disguise is a must if we’re tailing someone, right? I’m wearing my uniform from middle school. How is it? It looks nice, right?”

“Well, yeah, it’s fine for you to wear last year’s uniform...”

I suddenly fell silent mid-sentence. The size of her uniform doesn’t seem to have matched her development…

“What? You suddenly went quiet.”

Yanami shovelled all of the remaining takoyaki into her mouth as she queried me.

“It’s nothing as long as Yanami-san likes it.”

…We’re both here by the way. Yet, the person who called us to this place is nowhere to be seen. Yanami made a call, but no one answered.

“But this is sure a surprise to me. I thought Nukumizu-kun would find this troublesome.” Yanami dialed on Line as she said that.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m talking about our investigation of Remon-chan cheating. You actually accepted my invitation to this investigation.”

I was forced into this. …With displeasure beaming from my eyes I asked her.

“And you, Yanami-san? Why are you helping?”

“…Did you see how Remon-chan looked when she was with Ayano-kun a few days ago?”

I nodded in silence.

When Yakishio was next to Ayano, her face gave away that she just couldn’t hold herself back. It was like a blossoming flower.

Even I noticed it immediately. Ayano must have seen it, no matter how dense he is.

If he’s aware of it, and they are still on the road together like that, …and Yakishio also notices that he knows.

“Don’t show that face to someone who has already given up.”

After saying that, Yanami showed a smile as blinding as Yakishio’s and chuckled.

“That’s why we have to protect Remon-chan at key moments like this.”

“Even if things do go south, we are the only ones who can protect or scold Remon-chan.”

*

Asagumo-san replied to me on Line after some time had passed.

She said she saw them. She wants us to go to Minamiguchi Plaza next to the station.

There is a Takusan booth set up there when we arrive. They seem to sell local produce and food. It’s all hustle and bustle.

“Nukumizu-kun, you can even eat the bones in this. Ah, it’s unbelievably tasty.”

…Yanami. That girl bought grilled fish with salt when I wasn’t paying attention.

Yanami took big chomps out of the grilled fish. I ignored her and searched about for Asagumo-san. I found her. She’s hiding behind the booth looking awfully suspicious. I was going to talk to her, but never mind.

She’s wearing a light orange dress. There’s a massive hat on her head, like the ones worn by actresses.

There’s a cooling sticker on her head. She’s wearing lace sunglasses.

All of these look alright on their own, but it’s really weird when you put them all in one place. Honestly, I really don’t want to let her know we’re here.

Yanami chewed the head of the fish as she stood next to me. She asked.

“Is that girl Nukumizu-kun’s acquaintance?”

“Not just mine, Yanami-san. Isn’t she your acquaintance too?”

Really Yakishio, …how could you even lose to a girl like that?

…I’m grieving over Yakishio’s defeat, but she seems to have noticed us. Asagumo-san quickly approached us.

“Uh, …well, …hello.”

I greeted her stiffly. Asagumo-san chuckled as she tore off the cooling sticker on her head.

“My disguise is amazing, right? Did you know it was me? It’s actually me, Asagumo.”

Wow, I didn’t know it was you, Asagumo-san. I’m Nukumizu.

She carefully put her cooling sticker back on. This is part of your disguise too?

“Did Remon-chan come here?”

Yanami kept a subtle distance from her as she asked.

“Yes, they are on the other side of the plaza. It looks like they are checking out the booths in order. Let’s hide and wait around here for the time being.”

With that, she hid behind the booth. We stood behind her.

Asagumo-san took out a device with antennas. She took off her sunglasses and stared at the dashboard array.

“Uh, …Asagumo-san, …how did you know they are meeting here?”

Wait, is this weird device actually a surprise tool that will help us later?

“I conducted a complete analysis with the data from my investigation. Everything is within my calculation. Today’s the time to cast the net.”

Asagumo-san puffed up her chest. Yanami tilted her head in disbelief.

“You know all of this with calculations alone?”

“Yes, a machine’s accuracy and sensitivity alone aren’t enough. That’s why I compensated with data and calculations. After repeated trial and error, I finally managed to grasp the precise location of the transmitter.”

I think I just heard a pretty worrying noun in there.

“You just said transmitter, right…?”

“Yes, because this is a GPS.”

This girl just said something insane with a carefree, angelic face. …Yanami silently distanced herself again.

“Uh, are we doing something illegal…?”

“Shhhh… quiet now. Mitsuki-san and Yakishio-san are coming.”

Are they really here? Yanami and I exchanged glances before peeking our heads out from behind the booth while trembling. The plaza is filled with people who’ve come shopping.

We secretly glanced at the center of the road. Both sides are filled with food stalls.

“Right-hand side! That Italian gelato shop!”

We looked in that direction. There’s a guy and a girl among the crowd. The guy is tall and handsome with glasses, while the girl has a tan- they must be Ayano and Yakishio.

Ayano is wearing a clean, collared shirt. Yakishio is in her uniform. They look like the MCs in a movie. There is ice cream in their hands as they circulate among the booths happily. The duo is joking and messing with each other sometimes. They must look like a close couple to a stranger.

Yanami saw them and sighed, “Wow.”

“That is Ayano-kun, right? He’s tall and handsome. Remon-chan looks brilliant too. They surely make a fine couple-”

“Oi, Yanami-san!”

Yanami realized what she had said and covered her mouth.

“Sorry, Asagumo-san! That’s not what I meant…”

“It’s fine. I already felt those two made a good pair before we even started dating.”

Asagumo-san squeezed a smile out as she said that.

“…I was already shocked when Mitsuki-san accepted my confession. I thought my love was unrequited.”

She said that calmly, but then she mumbled.

“So, I’m just…getting what I deserve.”

Yanami and I didn’t know how to answer. We could only look at those two in silence.

They chatted happily as they went around the shops shoulder to shoulder. Yakishio is laughing cheerfully. Her perfect smile is sparkling under the sun.

“Don’t show that face to someone who has already given up.”

What Yanami had said played again in my mind. We’re okay with it, but I don’t want Asagumo-san to have to watch this any further.

“Asagumo-san, I think we’ve done enough investigation.”

“They seem to be shopping.”

Asagumo-san’s voice overlapped with mine.

I turned around. Yakishio is dragging Ayano around by the arm. They moved to the next stall. I think it’s selling western snacks. It’s the one where you can put whatever you want in the basket.

They are both still holding gelatos, I wondered how they would be able to shop like that. Then, Ayano took a basket and Yakishio decided on and put the snacks into it.

They are picking snacks so intimately. Ayano smiled and shook his head as he raised the basket mischievously. As for Yakishio, she quickly jumped up and put the snacks in.

…An unknown amount of time passed by.

They finished shopping and disappeared into the crowd. Asagumo-san is still staring at the road without moving.

“Hey, are you okay, Asagumo-san?”

Asagumo-san took off the cooling sticker with her slim fingers and turned around.

“…I’m fine. I’ll go fix my makeup.”

Asagumo-san said that calmly. She walked straight toward the station.

After she disappeared, Yanami and I both heaved a deep sigh.

“I guess she just took a critical hit.”

“Yeah, a girl’s heart is far more delicate than Nukumizu-kun thinks.”

Right, I think somebody has said girls are made of sugar. Yanami is made of carbohydrates and lipids. They should be similar, right?

I became lost in thought. Yanami shook her head and put her hand on my shoulder.

“You really weren’t thinking when you made a fuss over my ‘they make a fine couple’ comment. Relationships are a pretty sensitive issue. You need to be extra careful.”

“…Wait, Yanami-san, are you trying to blame me for what you said?”

“What are you going to do if I say yes?”

She just flipped it on me.

“It’s fine if you think it’s my fault, but are you sure you should just leave Asagumo-san like this?”

“Me? Why don’t you go, Nukumizu-kun?”

“Doesn’t fixing her makeup mean she’s in the toilet? There’s nothing I can do even if I go, right?”

“You’re not really going into the toilet. Why not just wait outside?”

“Uh, …are you sure that that’s okay?”

“Yes, it’s enough as long as she knows someone is worried and cares about her. Right, when I was-”

Yanami stared straight at me.

“-Did someone here care about me when I was like that?”

I see. I didn’t care, and I won’t be.

“Also, now’s not a good time for me to see her, right?”

“Yeah, your ‘fine couple’ comment just then was too much.”

“Fine, it’s all my fault. Anyway, you should check up on her.”

“Thanks, Nukumizu-kun.”

I went back to the station from the plaza. Even though I don’t know where she is, let’s check out the nearest toilet first. Then, I saw a girl with a big hat and a dress in a grocery store. It’s Asagumo-san.

She put her hands behind her back and crossed her fingers. She’s staring at the leather cover of a book.

“Hey, Asagumo-san, …are you okay?”

“Oh, Nukumizu-san.”

Asagumo-san answered without turning back.

There are etchings carved onto the leather cover. She reached her hand to it, but then she hesitated and withdrew.

“The cover is beautiful. It should really suit that person, right?”

“Yeah, it’s interesting. This really matches his style.”

“Yes, Mitsuki-san really loves books.”

Asagumo-san stared at the book cover for a while. She mumbled.

“…Mitsuki-san has said that he wants to work in the book industry.”

“Him?”

That’s the first time I’ve heard about this. But, come to think of it, what are the actual goals of working in the book industry?

Asagumo-san and I barely know each other, yet she starts telling me all about Ayano. This situation feels so abnormal. I’m dizzy.

“Mitsuki-san said that even though his dream is to be an author, that’s entirely different than his future career. He’s planning to study Literature in Tokyo. With that as the basis, he can work as a researcher, publisher, bookstore manager, …as long as it’s related to books.”

Asagumo-san continues as if she’s talking to herself.

“I was shocked the first time I heard it. I didn’t know someone with such similar interests was so close to me.”

“Ah, …I see.”

That’s all I can answer.

“My first wish is to become a librarian, you know? It must be difficult.”

Asagumo-san made up her mind and took the book cover. She stroked the surface.

“Indeed, …everything is within my calculations.”

“Eh?”

“I’ve seen them together.”

“Uh, well, …you’re right.”

She said calculations, but it was a GPS tracking device.

“Actually, he doesn’t like sweets. Are the snacks he bought for me?”

“Maybe. That guy is pretty gentle, after all. …Yep.”

I nodded at high speed.

“Yes, he’s very kind. That’s why he’s eating gelato with her at her invitation. That’s why they are chatting happily. That’s why he’s even showing such an expression…”

Asagumo-san seems to be holding something back. Her tone is pretty gloomy.

“Mitsuki-san looks just as happy when he’s with me.”

Her final words seem to have been swallowed up by the tumult of this crowded department store.

“…Gelato.”

“Eh?”

I exclaimed, caught off guard by this sudden change of topic.

“I’ve never had sweets with Mitsuki-san before. I know he doesn’t like them.”

Asagumo-san took her hat and put it on her head again.

“So, …I’m a bit sad when I see Yakishio and him eating that together.”

“Well, …maybe Ayano’s wasn’t actually sweet? …Aren’t there ones used as salty sides in crepes too?”

“Sides? W-What is that?”

“Like tuna gelato roll stuffing …or something.”

That was a pretty half-assed excuse, yet Asagumo-san’s eyes bulged.

“The ones on the cones come in tuna too?”

“Y-Yeah, …isn’t tuna the most popular in rice balls too?”

Asagumo-san looks like a burden has been lifted off her. She covered her mouth and chuckled.

“Hoho, …his stomach can’t take all that tuna. I have to make salads for Mitsuki-san too.”

After a while, Asagumo-san dropped her head down.

“I’m really envious of Yakishio-san. She can always express her feelings while I just think about not causing Mitsuki-san trouble.”

“Isn’t that nice too?”

Asagumo-san’s eyes bulged in surprise again.

“…Won’t he hate me?”

“Well, I’m not that close to Ayano. However, I don’t think he’ll hate you for just eating ice cream with him.”

These two are much better than a certain girl who keeps causing me trouble despite not going out with someone.

“I didn’t know Nukumizu-san is this kind. It looks like I had a pretty deep misconception of you.”

Is there some weird misunderstanding about me spreading through the entire grade…?

Asagumo-san looks confused. She raised her head and looked at me with watery eyes.

“What’s wrong?”

“I wonder what kind of person likes Nukumizu-san? I want to meet her.”

With that, she chuckled again.

“Ha…”

I like girls like other guys do, but I can’t imagine planting a successful flag and going out with someone.

Even a winning heroine like Asagumo-san has her post-victory troubles, not to mention Yanami, who can’t even get past the dating stage. She’s in pain for being unable to confess her love.

I have been knowing more newbie couples lately, yet I feel that love is more distant than ever.

“It’s time to go back, right? Look, Yanami-san is waiting for you.”

“…Yeah, you’re right. I’m not doing things properly today.”

Asagumo-san smiled.

She was relieved for a moment, but then Asagumo-san suddenly straightened her back in shock.

“Let’s hide, Nukumizu-san!”

Asagumo-san grabbed my hand.

“Ah? Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Quick! Hide here!”

Asagumo-san’s grip is unexpectedly strong. She pulled me into the changing room of the clothing store nearby.

“Oi, Asagumo-san!?”

“Quiet! Mitsuki-san will see us.”

Wait, Ayano is here?

Even though I understand how anxious Asagumo-san is, we aren’t doing anything wrong. It seems that we’re shopping together, but that’s definitely…

“Eh? Isn’t it bad if he sees us like this?”

“That’s why I said we’re hiding.”

I looked up. Asagumo-san’s face is practically plastered up against mine under her hat.

“Uh, it hurts.”

“Oh, sorry. …This place is pretty cramped.”



Naturally, a fitting room is too small for two people. The hat is pressing against Asagumo-san’s hair. It’s rubbing my arms.

Ah, Asagumo-san smells really good. I-I’m in no way a pervert, but why do cute girls always have a pleasant smell?

“By the way, is Ayano not with Yakishio?”

I listened to the noises outside as I whispered.

“Yes, Mitsuki-san is alone. I’ll check the situation outside.”

Asagumo-san peeked out from the gap in the curtain door.

…Isn’t this plot going in the wrong direction? We’re here to spy on Ayano and Yakishio. Why do we look like the cheating couple now? Then, Asagumo-san retreated into the room.

She took a new cooling sticker and put it on her forehead.

“Uh, Nukumizu-san, it’s tough to say this, but…”

“Ha?”

“Mitsuki-san discovered me.”

“Eh!”

Asagumo-san immediately opened the curtain.

Mitsuki Ayano is approaching us with a rigid expression on his face.

Asagumo-san gave up and dropped her head down.

“Hello, Mitsuki-san.”

“Chihaya and…Nukumizu!? Why are you two together?”

I don’t know even if you ask me, bro.

However, I must avoid saying something weird and causing a misunderstanding here. In times like this, let’s leave it to Asagumo-san’s eloquence.

I looked at Asagumo-san for help. Asagumo-san noticed me and nodded. …Great, I guess she can explain our reasons.

Asagumo-san took a step toward Ayano.

“Mitsuki-san, we’re actually…”

She suddenly stopped. I have a bad feeling about this.

Asagumo-san turned around. Her squirrel eyes reflect my image.

“-Nukumizu-san can explain it to you.”

*

West Station.

The name sounds like it’s an actual station, but it refers to the western exit of Toyohashi Station.

Ayano and I walked down the escalators shoulder to shoulder silently.

After Asagumo-san messed up, Ayano and I decided to talk alone.

This is the western exit of the largest station in the city. It’s pretty close to the Shinkansen platform. Transportation is easy.

“Nukumizu, let’s talk in a quiet place.”

“Ah, you’re right. Well, let’s find a quiet area-”

We looked around. Ayano mumbled quietly.

“…It seems this is the quietest place.”

“No one’s around either.”

Unlike the lively east, the West Station is much quieter.

This place is the best spot for talking about difficult topics. Even so, why are there so few people in here…?

Ayano stopped before a red building with the name “Yamasa Chikuwa”. We looked at each other.

He’s not angry. Instead, his face looks like he’s prepared for anything.

“Nukumizu, please explain what happened just then.”

“Well, …uh.”

I put my hand on my chin with a serious, focused look.

Even though I’m pretty calm on the surface, cold sweat is dripping through my heart. …How should I even explain getting into a fitting room with Asagumo-san?

…Come to think of it, I didn’t even do anything wrong. I’m only here because Asagumo-san asked me for help, and we’re here after she messed up. Alright, it’s decided then. I’ll explain honestly.

My face full of determination. I looked through Ayano’s glasses and directly into his eyes.

“Ayano, aren’t you supposed to be the first one to explain?”

“What do you mean?”

Ayano frowned in surprise.

“Didn’t you meet with Yakishio?”

The only reason I’m here is that this guy did something untoward.

“I was just shopping with her today. We also disbanded quickly.”

“Well, then why were you two walking around the city hall last time? There is some other stuff. Do you want me to say everything?”

I made that last one up. Silence ensued. Then, Ayano suddenly chuckled. He raised his hands to surrender.

“…You got me. Have you seen everything? You really shouldn’t be underestimated, Nukumizu.”

“Y…Yes! I’ve already seen everything!”

I didn’t know this guy thought of me so highly. The rest of you should learn from him.

Ayano quickly shook his hands.

“Wait, we didn’t do anything bad. Moreover, you know Remon isn’t like that, right?”

Indeed, Yakishio isn’t someone like that. I know that even if we aren’t close.

That’s why Yanami and I are supporting her.

Yet, I gently shook my head.

“Think about it. Asagumo-san is already your girlfriend, yet you’re hanging out with another girl in secret, and it’s not just once or twice. Even if she’s Yakishio, …no, she’s exactly why we can’t leave you two alone.”

We fell silent. The people who finished shopping in Yamada Chikuwa are streaming out.

…It’s better for Ayano to know where he should stop.

I spoke up again after the customers left.

“Anyway, what were you two doing?”

Ayano seems to find this incredibly hard to explain. His mouth opened and closed. Finally, he gave up and explained.

“I’m- asking Remon for love advice.”

…Love advice?

He has a slightly weird, …no, his girlfriend is very weird, but she’s pretty cute. What on earth does he want advice for? Not to mention we’re talking about Yakishio here.

Ayano scratched his cheeks in embarrassment. He looked away.

“T…This is my first time going out with a girl. I have no idea how I should behave around one. So, that’s why I want to get some advice.”

“Then why did you choose Yakishio out of all people…?”

“Well, even if you ask, Remon is pretty popular, right? She understands a girl’s feeling.”

“I see. That’s why you choose Yakishio, …Yakishio.”

…Uwah, this guy is an idiot. My opinion of Ayano took a jump off a cliff.

“So, what advice are you getting?”

“Well, …it’s a bit hard to say. Don’t tell this to others.”

“Got it. No problem.”

I have no one to talk to.

While he’s handsome, he’s still very inexperienced with love. If he has to ask Yakishio about it, his troubles must be pretty adorable and full of youth.

“Chihaya is always very enthusiastic when we’re alone, …and I should say it’s a bit toward the lewd side.”

“O-Oh…”

No, it doesn’t sound adorable.

“I’m a man as well. Naturally, I don’t hate things like this, but Chihaya doesn’t seem to want to do that. I’m the only one charging forward on things like kisses.”

Ayano looked around. There’s no one here. He continued whispering.

“Even if it’s too early, I’m still terrified of how far I should go. …Will Chihaya hate me if I accidentally hurt her?”

…I see. Even though I don’t understand this feeling at all, I get it.

Even so, I’m much more relieved now. If what he said is believable, this guy won’t cheat with Yakishio. He just asked for love advice. …Hmm? Wait.

“Don’t tell me you asked Yakishio the same thing too!? Are you for real!?”

“Ah, the only female friend I can discuss this with is Remon, after all.”

“…Seriously?”

I remember it now. This guy is denser than a black hole. However, even if you’re unaware of Yakishio’s feelings, will an average person really discuss that with girls…?

My opinion of Ayano went into freefall again. It’s almost at the level as Yanami now.

“Now, it’s time for you to explain.”

I was suddenly put on the spot.

“What do you mean?”

I remained still. Ayano took a step toward me.

“Tell me everything. I’m already prepared for it.”

“Prepared?”

“I know I’m an indecent guy. So, if Chihaya changed her feelings and it’s you, I can also accept-”

“Ha!? No, wait, wait, wait! That’s not the case!”

Is this guy serious? Also, what’s wrong with him? You’re thinking of me too highly.

“Then why were you two together? It’s really like what I’ve said, isn’t it?”

“It’s not! I’m asking for advice too.”

I can’t explain everything. How far should I go? Asagumo-san thinks you’re cheating with Yakishio. That’s why she’s spying on your secret dates…

We barely managed to get back on the right track. I’ll really lose my appetite and sleep if they break up because of me.

“Advice from Chihaya?”

“Yes, yes, yes! I, well, …am also asking for love advice f-from Asagumo-san.”

Ayano dropped his jaw in shock.

Of course, even I’m dumbfounded at what I have said.

“This is the first time I’ve heard you have a girlfriend.”

“I don’t, but I have someone I like. I’m asking her love advice for that.”

“No, you know the girls from the Literature Club, right? Why did you go to Chihaya?”

Ayano fell silent after saying that. He stood still for a while.

“…Hey, are you alright, Ayano?”

An announcement can be heard from the platform far away, signalling the Shinkansen train's arrival.

Then, Ayano finally snapped out of it and clapped when the departure bell rang.

“I got it!”

…Got what?

“It’s fine. You can leave it up to me.”

“Eh? Oh, …okay? I’ll leave it to you. Thanks.”

That was a retarded answer. What did I leave to him?

Ayano’s expression finally toned down. He’s relieved.

“All of you always say how dense I am. Now’s the time for me to correct that.”

“Uh, sorry, what’s going on…?”

Ayano still thought I was playing dumb. He laughed and patted my back.

“In other words, the person you love is also in the Literature Club, right? That’s why you can’t talk to the girls in the club.”

“There are girls who I love in the Literature Club? That doesn’t include the light novel characters on the bookshelf, right?”

However, I can only play along and let this guy misunderstand. I don’t want to be the culprit of them breaking up.

“Yeah, you’re right.”

“Don’t tell me you have a crush on Remon?”

I shook my head as quickly as possible.

“Nope, please don’t trouble yourself. I’ll figure this out myself. You should take care of Asagumo-san.”

My denial was immediate. However, if it’s not Yakishio, my remaining crush is either Yanami or Komari. How should I put it? They are from two opposite extremes, …yet they belong to the same club.

“No need to be polite. Bring that girl, and we’ll hang out together.”

“Eh? T-There’s no need for that. Look, this is just a secret thought, right? I can just keep this to myself until graduation.”

Ayano smiled conspiratorially.

“I’m not telling you to confess. The first thing is to deepen your relationship during club activities. You two need to step out of that club partner bond.”

This guy is suddenly so serious.

“You can leave the arrangements to me. Also, let Remon join in as well.”

“Yakishio? Why?”

How much more trouble does this dense MC want to stir up?

“It’s because you don’t love Remon, right? Isn’t it much easier when there’s another Literature Club girl? Remon can invite her if you can’t.”

Aha, I see. This guy is quite crafty.

“Huh? Wait! Don’t tell Yakishio I have a crush on one of the Literature Club girls! Absolutely not!”

“Oh, I knew you’d say that, but that isn’t actually what you’re thinking, right?”

“Hell no! I’ll do anything! Don’t say unnecessary things to Yakishio! I mean it when I said absolutely not!”

My voice cracked. Why did I have to scream for something like this?

“Got it. I’ll set it up all pretty for you.”

I’m starting to get fed up with how unexpectedly useless Ayano is. At the same time, I realized something.

“…This guy unexpectedly suits Asagumo-san.”

*

That night.

I’m lying on the bed and talking to Yanami on the phone.

“So, Nukumizu-kun fooled him using love advice as an excuse. You even said the girl you love is in the Literature Club?”

Laughs can be heard from the other side.

“It’s not funny. …I was exhausted, you know?”

“Sorry, sorry, Asagumo-san now understands he’s not actually cheating, right? Isn’t that good?”

“Uh, …well, …I guess.”

I also explained it to Asagumo-san. Even though some of the parts were left out for my own sake, she managed to accept it as me asking her for love advice.

It’s Ayano and her problem from now on. Proper communication and mutual understanding are something that only they can do.

“So, where should we hang out?”

“Eh?”

“Didn’t you say it? You have to invite a girl from the Literature Club to hang out, right?”

“Uh, …yeah.”

“I’ll go.”

“…Really?”

What’s with her today? But, honestly, I appreciate her.

Instead of letting Ayano make a mess, it’s easier to just hang out like this.

“I’m quite free, so any time is okay. Well, I’ll leave it to you. Tell me once you’ve decided.”

“Ah, …thanks.”

“…Also, even if I want to hang out, all my friends have boyfriends already.”

Yanami’s voice quickly turned gloomy. Okay, I’ve already said what I need to. I have to end the call before this girl enters complaining mode.

“Uh, well, it’s almost time-”

“Hey, Nukumizu-kun.”

“Eh, what…?”

“Are you not good at phone calls?”

…I can’t help it. It’s because it’s a phone call.

*

It’s been two days since then. We’re at Futagawa Station, one stop away from Toyohashi.

I’m at the entrance of the nearby Toyohashi City Underground Resources Center. This is our meeting spot.

The name sounds a bit serious, but it’s just a geology museum. Every resident should’ve visited this place when they were little.

…But this plot is progressing in a weirder and weirder direction.

Aside from Ayano and Asagumo-san, there are also Yakishio and Yanami. That’s five people if you include me. The goal of today is “letting me date the girl I like”.

Ayano is the only person who doesn’t know this outing is just a farce.

Yakishio also doesn’t know the goal itself. She just thinks everyone is here to have fun.

Also, since Yanami is here too, Ayano will definitely misunderstand that she’s the one I love.

…It’s complicated.

Anyway, I should just get this over with and tell him Yanami rejected me a few days later. It should end on a happy note.

“Wait, that means Ayano will think I’m a man who got rejected by Yanami…?”

I can feel a subtle anger in my heart.

This is Ayano’s fault for making his girlfriend worry. Why do I have to suffer too?

I angrily looked at my watch alone. Those four people should arrive by bus at any time now.

Ayano is utterly useless when it comes to love, yet his talent for coordinating and activity planning shine.

I’m the one who suggested coming here. However, the Line group, schedule, and transportation were all arranged by him.

“Hey, Nukumizu. Thanks for the wait.”

Ayano’s voice rings out from behind me. I turned around. The bus group is approaching.

“The time’s just right. Well, everyone is here.”

“Yeah, let’s work hard today.”

Ayano gently poked my shoulder. Shut up.

“Hello, Nukumizu-san. Let’s have fun today.”

Asagumo-san’s face is brimming with a Nico Nico smile. Her forehead is shining too. She’s wearing a striped shirt and leggings. On the surface, she’s just a cute girl.

“Thanks for the work. Nukkun looks just the same!”

Yakishio’s wearing jeans with an off-the-shoulder white T-shirt. Her outfit is simple, but coupled with her excellent figure it gives off a mature feeling. Unlike her usual deodorant scent, I smell some intense perfume today.

The last person. Yanami has a semi-sheer shirt outside her green sleeveless knit sweater. She’s wearing a pair of platform sandals below her light brown dress.

For some reason, she’s just standing there quietly. Her face looks like a Noh mask.

“What’s wrong, Yanami-san?”

“Nothing.”

I’m not sure, but it must have something to do with food. Let’s leave her alone.

By the way, this is the first time I’ve come here after social practice classes in elementary.

The entrance reaches all the way underground. This place is oozing with nostalgia. Ayano must feel the same, too, right? He pushed his glasses with the tip of his finger.

“Let’s go, Nukumizu.”

“Ah, let’s go.”

No man shall remain silent after hearing words like “science” and “museum”.

We walked toward the exhibition area.

The underground passage resembles mine tunnels. You can see the enormous exhibition hall after crossing them.

“Oh!”

Ayano and I yelled in joy.

Ayano quickly walked toward the mineral specimen area. Well, where should I start touring?

“…Nukumizu-kun, wait. Look, here.”

Yanami immediately grabbed me by the collar when I was about to leave.

“Eh, what, Yanami-san? I want to check out the exhibition.”

“I want to talk. Quick, come here.”

What’s wrong? Sheesh. Yanami pouted as she dragged me to the corner.



“Why did you drag me here?”

Yanami put her hands on her waist. She shook her head with a bitter face.

“…Summer holiday. …Five guys and girls. …High school students. …Hanging out. You should understand what I’m trying to say here, right?”

Eh? Not at all. Is that some banner ad?

“It’s very youthful and sparkling, isn’t it? But is it normal for us to come to the Underground Resource Center? There’s literally an ‘underground’ in its name.”

Isn’t it too hard to ask me to be normal when guys and girls go out together?

“But Ayano said yes. He said guys love these places.”

“No, what about us girls…? Look at how stylish my outfit is!”

“Why did you pick such an outfit…?”

“Guys and girls are HANGING OUT! There are also other girls here too. How can I not work hard on my outfit? Doesn’t Nukumizu-kun feel like you want to dazzle too?”

Nope, not at all.

“This is the problem, Nukumizu-kun. Guys may be thrilled, but girls are-”

Yanami-san pointed somewhere, and I looked in her direction. Asagumo-san is waving at us with sparkling eyes.

“Hey, everyone, check out this amazing mica. I wonder how many capacitors can be made from this!”

Asagumo-san is enjoying herself.

Ayano looked at the glass case booth with her. They chatted lively together.

“Isn’t she enjoying herself?”

“Ugh…! Look, that girl is smart! Remon-chan is-”

As she was saying some impolite stuff, Yakishio’s voice could be heard.

“Hey, hey! There are minecarts here. Minecarts! Can I sit in one?”

“Don’t touch that, Yakishio!”

Her body is an adult’s, yet her mind is a child’s. Yakishio’s reaction is undoubtedly within my expectation.

“Even Remon-chan is…? So, I’m the minority here…?”

Yanami is deflated.

“Don’t be so sad. Look, you can compare the mass and hardness of metals there. Do you want to check it out?”

Yanami looked at me with her slightly gloomy face.

“Hardness, …well, I am interested after looking around.”

“Well, let’s go. People always say strike while the iron is hot.”

“…Don’t tell me you think you just said something witty?”

Yanami looked displeased as she walked towards the metal corner. I saw Yakishio when I was about to follow her.

“Hey, hey, did Nukkun come up with the plan today?”

“This is the place Ayano and I decided on after talking it over, but the outing is all arranged by him.”

“Eh, Mitsuki? When did Nukkun get so close to him?”

Yakishio’s eyes are full of suspicion and interest.

“Well, that’s what happened.”

“Oh, Mitsuki did say some weird stuff. He said I’ll leave Nukumizu to you.”

“Me?”

God, please stop, Ayano.

I just want to live a quiet life. The conflict between Asagumo-san and him was just an accident.

“What is it? Oh, is it…?”

Yakishio looked forward into the distance. Yanami’s about to lift the metal.

“Uwah, this is heavy. Come help me, you two!”

…Hey, this girl’s having fun.

I looked at her in shock. Yakishio bumped me with her elbow.

“So, is Nukkun interested in Yana-chan? Am I being asked for help right now?”

“No! Absolutely not!”

I was pretty blunt about it.

I need to stop tanking my reputation. I looked around for Ayano to protest about this. Then, I saw Asagumo-san and him watching a future metropolis model from the Showa Era.

Yakishio saw them. She looks very lonely.

“…Ah, let’s go over there too.”

“Why? Don’t interrupt Mitsuki. We should leave them alone today.”

Yakishio showed her clean, white teeth.

“But…”

“Don’t tell me you have any feelings for me?”

Yakishio poked me even harder with her elbow. I’m speechless.

“Nukkun, I support those two. Don’t worry about me.”

“But Ayano isn’t even aware of your feelings. At least…”

“…It’s fine. This will do for me.”

Yakishio’s tone is gentle yet determined. She looked at those two with warm eyes.

…I understand when I see her expression. Yakishio has already adjusted her attitude.

Even though she still loves Ayano and wants to treasure this feeling, she still decides to stay next to him silently.

Perhaps either keeping a proper distance or ignoring everything and confessing would be better, but Yakishio has decided that this is the best for now.

Maybe I can’t understand Yakishio’s feelings, pain, or determination to accept all of this.

“Sorry, Yakishio.”

“What’s with the sudden apology?”

“I always tease Yakishio, but you really sound like an adult now.”

“Hmph, hmph, you finally understand?”

Yakishio smiled. She did a V pose with her hand.

“Well, you can lend me your summer holiday homework as compensation.”

“Sure, …but, which subject?”

“Eh? Which subject doesn’t have summer holiday homework?”

Yakishio said that calmly. …This girl didn’t do any of her homework.

Perhaps she noticed that I wasn’t talking. She quickly added.

“But I’ve done the picture diary. I drew the observation diary of morning glories.”

“That’s not homework.”

“…Seriously?”

I take it back. This girl is an elementary kid inside. I can’t help but smile bitterly.

“Fine, we can meet in the club room-”

“What’s up with you two? You two seem like you’re in a good mood. Also, lend me your homework as well.”

Yanami interrupted us. As expected, this girl didn’t finish her homework either.

“Yana-chan didn’t do your homework either? Let’s finish them together next time.”

“Sure, let’s meet in Nukumizu-kun’s house then.”

My house isn’t a hangout for you two.

“I’ll give you my notes. Look, there’s a 1v1 riddle area over there. You two should go check it out. See?”

I got away from those two. Then, I looked at the exhibition hall.

Finally, I’m alone now. Let’s go check out the Loess dolls first. This is formed by the accumulation of iron around the roots of plants…

“Hey, Nukkun, this riddle needs three people to complete it!”

Yakishio waved her hand and screamed from the riddle area.

…Yes, I know it takes three people to complete the riddle, but can’t you just make do with two people? After a while, Yanami joined in yelling for me too. I realized I couldn’t escape anymore, so I walked towards the girls.

My opponents are Yanami and Yakishio. I can’t afford to lose this battle.

*

Around 2 hours have passed after that.

We played through everything in the Underground Resource Center. The group moved to the educational media center nearby. This luxurious place must cost enough to pay for two science museums on its own.

Elementary students are playing in the exhibition hall. Yanami sat on a chair and made poses.

“Alright, it’s done.”

I handed Yanami her phone.

“Thanks. Does this photo look good? The Power Stone Chair is too bright. Is it overshadowing me?”

Yanami is sitting on an exquisite chair decorated with power stones that line the inner arms and walls. Its optical power is highly overwhelming.

“It’s fine. It’s fine. Yanami-san’s charms won’t lose to it.”

I gave a half-assed answer and stretched my back.

I looked around. Yakishio is staring at “Japan’s Largest Acorn”. As for Ayano and Asagumo-san, they are taking photos before the distorting mirrors.

I’ve had too much fun with the rocks. I’m exhausted. It’s time for us to go back.

During this time, Yanami suddenly gasped while looking at the handout. 

“They have a planetarium here. Planetarium, …planetarium…”

Yanami mumbled to herself continuously. I decided to ignore her out of pure disdain. Yanami raised her head from the handbook with a smile.

“Hey, is this what Nukumizu-kun plans to do as well? Indeed, you’re still a guy, after all.”

I don’t understand, but did she just say something impolite?

“I’m not planning anything. What do you mean, Yanami-san?”

“Hehe, no need to get embarrassed. I know you.”

You don’t know shit about me.

Yanami stood up and put her hand on my shoulder intimately.

“You’re a high school student, after all. We do want to show off during the summer holiday. Are you on SNS too, Nukumizu-kun?”

I have Twitter, but there are 0 followers. No one cares about me showing off.

“Not interested in SNS. It’s more like I think it’s time to go back.”

“Are you kidding? Aren’t you using the Underground Resource Center to get us to let our guard down and then go on the attack in the planetarium?”

Attack? Are we capturing a fortress here?

“I’m fine if you want to go.”

“We have to go! Then, I’ll tell the other three as well!”

Yanami dashed toward everyone. Sunny characters are always so energetic. They are ready while I’m still thinking about that.

Ayano has already purchased the tickets. A man with a girlfriend sure is something else. We aren’t the same.

Yanami silently looked at the ticket she got for the planetarium.

“What’s wrong, Yanami-san? Don’t you want to go?”

“Yeah, but the show of the day is…”

Show? I checked the label on the ticket. Today’s show is <Protect the Universe! Super Galaxy Spectrangers>.

“Isn’t that nice? We have power rangers.”

“Isn’t the planetarium supposed to compensate for the lack of romantic elements? Can power rangers make up for it? Are you sure it’s fine?”

I guess not. Yakishio glanced at my ticket next to me.

“Oh, it’s Spectrangers today. I quite like it.”

“You’ve watched this before?”

“Dad bought this science drawing book for me when I was little. He said it makes me smarter.”

Look at where you are now.

I brought Yanami to the planetarium to soothe her.

I don’t know whether it’s because of the mood. Yanami immediately started taking selfies.

I’m relieved. I looked away. Asagumo-san seems to be looking at the posters.

“Mitsuki-san, there’s a riddle in this poster. So? You want to decide who’s better with this one?”

“Oh, it sounds nice. Remon should come too.”

“Me too?”

Remon yelled while she was taking photos with Yanami.

Ayano came and whispered to me.

“I’ll let you go to the planetarium alone with Yanami-san. Give it your all.”

“…Eh, can you please not do that?”

Perhaps he will sense my inner request. Ayano nodded.

“Don’t be shy. Our seats are far away.”

He ignored my thoughts and waved at Yakishio.

“Remon, let’s check this out with the three of us.”

“Wait, I’m watching it with Yana-chan. Mitsuki can just watch it with Asagumo-san.”

Yakishio rejected with a smile. Good, this will do. Lovers should get along with each other.

Asagumo-san stepped in just after I sighed in relief.

“Please don’t mind me. Let’s watch it together. I want to get closer to Yakishio-san.”

Yakishio looks confused. She shook her head.

“Thanks, but Asagumo-san should save this rare opportunity for Mitsuki. Come, let’s go, Nukkun and Yana-chan.”

Yakishio turned around. Ayano ran to her and grabbed her hand.

“Wait, there are some reasons.”

Yakishio hesitated for a moment before shaking off his hand.

“Mi-tsu-ki! Stay next to Asagumo-san! The three of us are watching it! Mitsuki is watching it with Asagumo-san! Alright, end of discussion!”

Yakishio’s voice rang through the entire hall. Everyone around looked at us.

Did he finally realize it? Ayano bowed down and lowered his head.

“Sorry, …I think I said something weird.”

Asagumo-san held Ayano’s arm. He’s deflated. Yakishio smiled thinly and scratched her head.

“Your girlfriend is Asagumo-san. You need to make her your first priority, even for our sake.”

“Ah, that’s my bad.”

“Sheesh, you’re the man I love. You need to get yourself together.”

Yakishio laughed and smacked Ayano’s back. I laughed along too.

“Right, even Yakishio is in love with him. Let’s just-”

“…Oi, Yakishio, what now?”

“Eh?”

Yakishio showed her charming smile again.

“Eh?” I gasped again before turning to Yanami and Asagumo-san.

Our faces are stiff. She finally realized what she had said. Yakishio’s face turned pale.

No, wait, even though everyone knows this girl loves Ayano, one person here doesn’t.

Ayano, now’s the time to show how dense an MC you are. Please.

Trembling, I looked over at Ayano. Right there- are you kidding me? Ayano is blushing.

This guy, why do you have to react like a normal person now? Is this the final volume already?

“The guy Remon loves…is…”

“Uh! M-Mitsuki! T-That was just, …no, …no…”

Yakishio lowered her head. Her hands are facing Ayano. She slowly retreated backward.

“No, …no, …no…”

Suddenly, she stopped repeating her words.

After that, she turned around and ran away.

Yakishio disappeared into the crowd in a blink of an eye.

It was so sudden. We’d never be able to catch up. All of us remained still.

“She…ran away?”

My words finally made time move again. Ayano immediately chased after her. At that moment-

“Mitsuki-san! Don’t!”

Asagumo-san’s voice echoes throughout the room. Ayano stopped upon hearing that.

“Don’t go! Please stay here! Don’t chase after Yakishio-san!”

Her hands clasped, her fingers crossed over each other as if she was praying.

“But, Chihaya, Remon is…”

“It’s because! It’s because I’m here! I’m Mitsuki-san’s girlfriend.”

Asagumo-san’s eyes are filled with tears. She can barely contain her sadness as she speaks.

Ayano wiped the corners of her eyes with a handkerchief before the first tear fell.

“…I’m sorry, Chihaya.”

“Mitsuki-san…”

The two are cuddling. For some reason, I feel deflated.

I have to chase after Yakishio, yet my body won’t move.

“Nukumizu-kun! What about Remon-chan!?”

Yanami shook my shoulders.

“Well…”

“Hey? Nukumizu-kun…?”

I realized the true colors of my depression inside.

Shouldn’t Ayano go after Yakishio instead?

There will be a happy end after that. I have just this slightest sense of expectation in the corner of my heart. …It’s growing.

My naĂŻve imagination has ignored Asagumo-san’s misfortune and Ayano’s feelings.

“Yanami-san. I’ll find Yakishio!”

I left them behind and started running.

I went through the hall and dashed down the stairs. Yakishio is nowhere to be found.

I ran out of the building.

This isn’t who I am.

Now’s not the showtime for a background character like me.

However, there isn’t an MC in Yakishio’s story who will chase after her.

*

I’m at the bus station next to the building.

I nearly ran out of breath just by walking here. Yakishio is squatting on the ground.

A vast supermarket parking lot is behind the fences.

I’ve visited this area countless times before. I’ve never cared about it. My heart aches. I stood next to Yakishio.

“Are you okay, Yakishio?”

“Nukkun…?”

She’s hugging her kneecaps as she’s raising her head. I guess she must’ve cried. Her eyes look red.

“I…I’m an idiot. I messed up…”

Yakishio covered her face. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

“It’s fine. Don’t worry about it, Yakishio.”

“Thanks, I’m sorry.”

“…I should be the one to say sorry.”

“Why is Nukkun apologizing?”

I couldn’t help but look away. Yakishio’s forcing herself to smile.

I’m apologizing for how cold-hearted I am.

It’s because I was praying that I wouldn’t find Yakishio.

-Perhaps Ayano will chase after her.

This girl’s heart must have had that slight tinge of hope.

No matter how impossible it is, there’s a tinge of hope that she wishes to grasp.

I’m like an executor who extinguishes her final spark of hope.

…The two-way road isn’t crowded, yet vehicles are passing by non-stop.

Yakishio’s love story comes to an end. Our daily lives will simply flood over it.

Yakishio finally stood up. She stretched her body.

“I’m okay now. I’ll take the bus back.”

“Let’s go back together.”

Yakishio quickly shook her head.

“At times like this, you should let me be alone with my thoughts.”

“Well, I can at least stay with you until the bus arrives, right?”

“Sure, well, you can talk about something.”

“…Talk about something?”

Is this the legendary “girls throwing tantrums”?

Good-looking girls will say things like this to bother guys without any harmful intentions. It’s on the internet. It must be right.

“Well, …uh, the Literature Club is making club magazines. Has Yakishio decided what to write yet?”

Yakishio gave my treasured topic a dumbfounded face.

“Nukkun, shouldn’t you cheer the girl up with some hilarious jokes now?”

Eh. …So, it’s not just throwing tantrums. She had to reject me as well?

“I’m fine with talking about the club magazine. I want to write a poem.”

“Poem? Wait, Yakishio, you can write something like that?”

“Even a girl like me can do it. It’s just a tale about something that happened a long time ago.”

“Isn’t that a fairy tale?”

Well, we can also do that. Yakishio cleared her throat.

“…Once upon a time, there was a girl who lived somewhere.”

Yakishio suddenly spoke up. I was shocked. She looked at me before giving me an expression that resembled a smile.

“The girl really loved running. One day, she met a boy. That boy was always reading.”

I realized immediately this story is about Yakishio and Ayano. I held my breath.

“The boy told the girl a lot of stories from books. The two grew really close. Actually, that boy was a prince. The prince would be moving to the castle once he grew up. Even though the girl wanted to go to the castle, she wasn’t good at manners and the dance required at parties.”

A truck passed by. It was shaking due to the uneven ground. Dry dust billowed up all around and hung in the air. Yakishio continued calmly after peace returned.

“…Seeing the girl’s sadness, the prince stayed with her to practice manners and dance together. The girl tried her best to go to the castle with the prince. With that, the girl and the prince reached the castle. Congratulations. Congratulations.”

I silently waited for her to continue.

There was no continuation no matter how long I waited. Yakishio’s story ends here.

“What happens to the girl and the prince after they reach the castle?”

“It’s already over. Stories always have happy endings.”

The bus heading toward Toyohashi Station squeaked as it stepped on the brakes. It stopped before us.

The door opened. We can hear the noise from the vents. Yakishio waved in front of her chest and stepped onto the stairs.

“I’ll go home for today. Help me say sorry to everyone.”

“Are you sure this is what you want?”

Yakishio stopped. She spoke with her back to me.

“…What do you mean?”

“Is this your preferred ending with Ayano…?”

Yakishio didn’t turn back. She mumbled quietly.

“This…will do.”

Yakishio hesitated for a moment before climbing the last step. The door closed.

I watched the bus until it disappeared into the horizon.

*

It’s night three days later.

I’m in my room. I closed my homework book before finishing all the questions. The date just changed on the clock.

…Yakishio never contacted us since that day. Yanami heard from her friends that she didn’t even show up to Track and Field Club practices.

Ayano and Asagumo-san are pretty worried too. They called me several times.

When I had reported back to them, I didn’t adequately explain what happened after I found Yakishio. I just told them Yakishio looked quite energetic.

There are four days left in the summer holiday. She should come to school once the new term begins, right?

…I can’t let this go. At this time, my phone on the table flashed.

“Asagumo-san?”

Asagumo-san texted me. I immediately jumped up in the middle of reading.

I looked outside the window. A petite girl is walking around my front door. I quickly changed and carefully slipped outside.

A petite girl is standing there. It’s Asagumo-san.

I quickly walked over. Asagumo-san bowed deeply.

“…I’m very sorry about the late-night visit, Nukumizu-san.”

Her voice is pretty quiet. It’s not just because of the time, right?

“It’s fine. What’s wrong?”

Even though I said it, I was pretty dumbfounded at the polite words I spoke.

Of course, she wasn’t at fault that day. Stopping Ayano was her absolute right.

However, Ayano told me that she felt responsible. She’s distraught.

“Did you contact Yakishio-san…?”

I shook my head.

“I texted her, but no replies. Line shows that she has read my text. She should’ve seen it.”

After that, Asagumo-san lowered her head even more.

“It’s all because of my wavering attitude.”

Asagumo-san squeezed that sentence out in pain.

“Wavering?”

“I said I could quit and walk away. …It’s because I’m afraid of getting hurt and facing reality. That’s why I said something like that.”

That’s because, …I don’t really understand, but it’s natural to have worries like this if you’re dating someone, right?

“Everyone will have all kinds of thoughts like these when they first start dating. Getting past these things is, how should I put it? The accidental flags and misunderstandings are all part of it, I guess.”

Yep, I’m sorry, Asagumo-san. A pure boy with zero love experience like me can’t think of a better description.

Asagumo-san shook her head.

“It’s not a good thing. I’m always worried whenever I see them…”

“Then why didn’t you stop them from meeting? This wouldn’t have happened if you explained properly…”

I closed my mouth mid-sentence. It’s not my place to scold her for this. Only she can do that.

“I don’t want to be hated because of saying something terrible. I shouldn’t have stopped him from going after Yakishio-san either.”

“That’s not Asagumo-san’s fault. Honestly, it’s more Yakishio’s fault. Ayano should’ve been next to you.”

“Is that true? Mitsuki-san chased after Yakishio-san of his own will, yet I stopped him.”

“You’re his girlfriend. You have the right to do that.”

“Even still, don’t those two have the right to a proper conversation? But, if he did chase after her, would Mitsuki-san just stay with Yakishio-san instead? I’m afraid that he will choose her instead of me. I stopped Mitsuki-san not because I mustered my courage to tell the truth. Instead, it’s because I couldn’t fully believe in him.”

She mumbled to herself after dropping all that.

“…I’m tired.”

Asagumo-san lowered her head in resignation.

“I should’ve left if Mitsuki-san loves Yakishio-san-”

“That’s not true.”

I forcefully interrupted her.

“But-”

“This is probably not something I can say. However, Asagumo-san didn’t confess to Ayano lightly, right?”

“Yes…”

I’m just a spectator. Their problem is none of my business, and I shouldn’t dive deeper into it. However, once I stepped in-

“I don’t know a lot about Ayano, but he isn’t the type of guy that easily accepts other people’s feelings.”

I’m at least a bit responsible. Yakishio’s petite back from last time flashed in my mind.

“Yakishio also feels the same. She has been holding onto but suppressing her feelings for Ayano, yet she doesn’t want to disturb Asagumo-san and him. That’s how she feels and thinks.”

Asagumo-san’s body immediately shivered upon hearing Yakishio’s name.

“We’re both in the Literature Club. That’s why I want to be on Yakishio’s side. I want Asagumo-san to stop talking about breaking up.”

Asagumo-san tilted her head in confusion.

“If you’re on Yakishio-san’s side, …isn’t it better for Mitsuki-san and me to break up? That way, Yakishio-san can-”

“Yakishio will be really upset if Asagumo-san and Ayano break up for that reason. I want you to stop talking about her and pitying her this way.”

“I’m sorry…!”

Her head drooped again.

Was I too mean? Asagumo-san’s shoulders are shivering.

“…Ah, no, that was a bit…? Asagumo-san, are you crying?”

A girl is crying in front of my house at midnight. I hastily turned around and looked up at Kaju’s room on the second floor.

The lights aren’t on, but the curtains seem to be moving. Is that just my imagination…?

“Well, I’m not blaming you. Look, tears.”

I checked my pocket. There aren’t any handkerchiefs or tissue. Reality is cruel.

“Anyway, I’ll walk you home. Is your house close by?”

Asagumo-san nodded silently. I walked with her and told her this before she went in.

“Leave her to me.”

…Of course, I didn’t have any particular plan or reason for saying that. It’s just that I felt compelled to say it after seeing how worried she looked.

Asagumo-san seems to have remembered something and took out a small device.

“Well, you can at least use this. The sensitivity of the GPS has already been adjusted.”

“…No, thanks. I can’t use it, anyway. It’s a promise, alright?”

She nodded sincerely. We bid each other farewell. I became lost in thought on my way home.

I don’t have any magical solutions. What should I say to her when she comes back?

My phone’s vibration interrupted my train of thoughts.

The screen showed an unexpected name, Literature Club Vice President Koto Tsukinoki.

“Good evening, Nukumizu-kun! Are you still awake?”

“Ah, yes. I’m not in bed yet. What’s wrong?”

“Well, didn’t I say Shintaro destroyed the draft of the club magazine I came up with?”

“Yeah, I think you mentioned that in the club room.”

“Well, since I don’t want to admit defeat, I have changed to a more wholesome version. Nukumizu-kun, can you help me proofread it tomorrow?”

Why me? Also, prepare for your exam.

“Why not just show it to Prez?”

“Won’t I suffer again if I do that? I want to use Nukumizu-kun’s proofreading as an excuse to publish it.”

What power or authority do I have? In other words, this means-

“You want me to be your partner in crime…?”

Her answer is silence. I seem to be correct.

“Now’s not the time. You can send it to me. I’ll read it later.”

I was about to hang up. Tsukinoki-senpai’s voice interrupted me.

“Wait, let’s cut to the chase.”

Is there something else? Senpai continued calmly.

“I’ve heard about Yakishio-chan from Yanami-chan. She sure has it hard.”

Yakishio and Yanami’s names came up. It must be what happened recently.

“You heard it? How much?”

“Everything. From the attempted cheating to what she did in front of the person in question and the girlfriend, I’ve heard everything.”

I sighed deeply.

“Yanami-san even blabbed to senpai about this.”

“Don’t misunderstand. The girls’ Track and Field team captain asked me about Yakishio-chan. I just forced it out of Yanami-chan.”

Yakishio is the young ace of the Track and Field team. I guess it can’t be helped that everyone is worried about her when she hasn’t shown up to practice for days.

Well, there’s no use in me denying it if she has already heard it from Yanami.

“Well, I said tomorrow, but it’s today already. You’re free, right?”

“Uh, …senpai, I don’t really understand what you’re talking about. What’s wrong with today?”

Senpai’s refreshing voice swept all my questions away.

“You still need to ask? We’re going to get Yakishio-chan back!”


No comments:

Post a Comment