Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Gamers! Volume 12 Prologue & Chapter 1

Volume 12 – Gamers and Youth Continue

Prologue


Translator: your_pingas

I’ve never felt the same as those plain protagonists that love their ordinary lives.

It’s because their so-called “ordinary lives” are incredibly blessed and successful.

<Rom-coms with a cute girl, chatting happily with a handsome friend, cheered on by a reliable master, and even playing with friends that share common interests sometimes.>

If this is called ordinary, then my life-

<Friendless, not belonging to anywhere in class, wandering around the school during the break, keep repeating mistakes that can’t make people laugh in PE, people say they are “carrying” me when we’re splitting into groups.>

How should I call this kind of life? Hell? A lonely hell? Seriously, even I don’t want to classify my high school life as hell.

Anyway, from my perspective, no matter what, I don’t understand how those protagonists feel. They are already satisfied with their environment and abilities.

…This thing, indeed, even if my daily life right now is-

<Rom-coms with a cute girl, chatting happily with a handsome friend, cheered on by a reliable master, and even playing with friends that share common interests sometimes.>

-which is your so-called “an asshole protagonist that makes people jealous.”

It’s because I can’t call this kind of daily life ordinary, nor do I want to.

I can confidently announce that a daily life like this is the best treasure to me.

It’s just that, even if my daily life has already evolved into its current state- I, Keita Amano, am still a pretty mundane person. This year, no special abilities were awoken inside me, and my gaming skills didn’t improve. I didn’t become manlier, nor there’s a sense of noble justice within my heart.

In the end, I’m still just a lonely passerby high schooler.

However, if you still have to point out my features, there are two.

The first one is that I have the exact same name as the MC in <Youkai Watch>. Also…

“I love games.”

That’s all. …Indeed, I still really love games right now. There’s no ridiculous backstory or special reason. I’ve just always loved it unconditionally.

Whether it’s the remarkable sound effects, adorable bitmaps, detailed illustrations, strategy systems, amazing plot, or classic adventure tales, I love them all.

Anyway, it makes me happy. Playing a well-made game is the most blessed moment for me. So, I can forget most of the bad moments in high school as long as I have games.

This is how much I love games.

…However, recently, something as important as games, if not more, appeared in my life too.

That would be my current girlfriend- Karen Tendou-san.

…What the hell? In the end, you’re just showing off like a normie. I bet you’re thinking about that. But, please relax.

Yeah, I’m showing off.

Having a girlfriend is super amazing. If you ask me how great it is, I’ll tell you that I’m soaked in happiness 24/7. Doesn’t it feel great to level up in RPGs? I get 10x as much pleasure from just thinking about her, okay? Nothing is more valuable than this, right. She’s an infinite happiness generator. That’s what we call lovers.

…Hmm, I can show off forever if I can, but let’s stop it here.

Anyway, you’re asking what I want to say? I want to say that I, Keita Amano, have another thing to love aside from games.

So, finally, here’s the story I want to talk about.

Unfortunately, it’s not a story that I love. In fact, I’m feeling quite regretful.

It’s because of the ending of the story.

It’s about a protagonist that acquired the best daily life possible. After so many plot twists, he finally started going out with a beautiful girl. It’s so sweet that you can’t resonate with it.

-In other words, it’s a story about games.


Chapter 1 – Gamers and Post-divergence Development


“Hey, Amano started going out with Tendou, right, …right?”

It’s the day after that fateful White Day. During our long-awaited Game Hobby Club meeting, for some reason, Uehara-kun’s sweating profusely. He asked in confusion.

I nodded and answered him in the lively after-school classroom.

“Hmm, yeah. But, how many times do you have to ask this? Isn’t it annoying?”

“Uh, well, sorry. …I-I guess that’s true. Hmm. Uh…”

Uehara-kun kept looking between Tendou-san and me like he wanted to say something. For some reason, even Aguri-san showed a baffled look too.

However, Chiaki sat next to me while ignoring those two and continued chatting with me.

“After that, how did Keita set up your team? It’s the new sequel of <Dragon Blood Tree Maze>!”

“Ah, I’m going with the meta: <Holy Knight>, <Swordsman>, <Ranger>, <Fortune Teller>, and <Medic>. These five!”

“Right, that’s the same as me! Hoho, we’re really similar.”

“Yeah.”

Chiaki and I are talking about the game passionately. We’re smiling at each other extremely closely. Hiya, a conversation between gaming buddies always sends warmth to my heart. …But, for some reason, Aguri-san and Uehara-kun kept looking at us while sweating.

Chiaki and I pressed on.

“How’s your progress, Keita? I’m at the second level only…”

“Ah, I spent 10 hours to get to the second level too. It’s because I’m the type that levels up while moving forward in RPGs.”

“Right, right, me too! You can only feel that you’re finally ready after getting all of the strongest gears, not to mention exploring the entire map!”

“I get it! You have to be ready perfectly in RPGs, Chiaki!”

“Yes!”

“Yeah!”

“Yeah!”

The two gaming buddies here even started high-fiving.

Uehara-kun and Aguri-san are sweating even more. Suddenly, my girlfriend- Karen Tendou-san, coldly smiled. She broke the peaceful atmosphere.

“Ara ara, …you’re such a clumsy and slow gamer, Amano-kun. How regrettable.”

“!?”

Tendou-san’s cold criticism made Uehara-kun and Aguri-san tremble in nervousness.

However, I shrugged and answered her very rudely.

“Oya oya, another rant on other people’s gaming style? The tryhard Game Club president-sama.”

“!?”

The normie couple got even tenser after hearing what I said. Just as they looked like they fell into another timeline, Tendou-san and I- continued our vicious argument.

“Well, here’s a rant, okay? Amano-kun, it seems that you spent 10 hours on the new <Dragon Blood Tree Maze> only to reach the second level? Meanwhile, I spent 7 hours and got to the 4th level. In my eyes, you’re just- wasting your life away.”

“Here it is. Look, everyone. This is your so-called hardcore gamer. I don’t really like treating the first playthrough as a speedrun.”

“Speedrun? Ara, I’m terribly sorry. This is a pretty slow speed to me. … I see. At Amano-kun’s level, would you treat that as a speedrun? Hohoho.”

“Tck, …ha, t-that’s why people call you a tryhard. I feel sorry for you.”

“…What was that?”

“To you, the term ‘enjoying the game’ is only strategizing and beating the level. This is you, okay? So, you’re doing nothing but showing off when you said you took 7 hours to get to level 4. …Seriously, Tendou-san, you aren’t even composed at all.”

“Tck. W-Well, let me ask you, Amano-kun. If you’re really enjoying the game, can you hum out the BGM of level 1’s boss fight?”

“Eh? Uh, well, …hmm…”

“Ho, …ahaha! And you dared to say things like composed!? I can hum out that BGM! Hmm-mm-hmm!”

“Alright, alright, here we go. This is another fault of tryhards. You just treat your knowledge as your love of games. Sigh, you can’t be helped.”

“Ha, big talk from a guy that doesn’t even remember the games he’s playing.”

“What was that?”

“What was that?”

Tendou-san and my eyes are filled with fire.

The normie couple, who have been watching us dazedly, finally can’t hold it anymore and interrupted.

“Hey, you two, stop, stop! …Eh? What’s happening? What’s going on?”

“A-Amanocchi, I’ll ask you again. …Well, you rejected Hoshino and started going out with Tendou-san, right, right?”

I sighed at Aguri-san’s question.

“How many times do you have to ask this today? The answer is yes! I said I want to become ‘friends’ with Chiaki and go out with Tendou-san yesterday! It’s true!”

I said frustratedly.

Uehara-kun and Aguri-san exchanged glances. Finally…

“…Well, if that’s the case, why are you-“

“Me?”

-They finally said the question they wanted to ask today.

“Why are you so nice to Hoshinomori and so cold to Tendou!?”

Uehara-kun finally yelled his question out loud. Aguri-san repeatedly nodded in agreement too.

After hearing them, Tendou-san and I looked at each other and shrugged helplessly.

“Lovers’ quarrel. You got a problem?”

“Eh, isn’t this too fast!?”

The normie couple is surprised with our speed. During this time, the girl sitting next to me, my “friend” Chiaki Hoshinomori, mumbled cheerfully.

“It’s more like Keita and I have been chatting non-stop since we became friends! Ah, this must be the ‘honeymoon’ people say!”

“You can’t say that, right!?”

The normie couple is even more shocked. At this point, Aguri-san looks sincerely anxious.

“Hey, Amanocchi! What are you doing on your second day of going out!?”

“What am I doing? …I’m just arguing with Tendou-san and going on a honeymoon with Chiaki.”

“That’s too crazy, even for a rom-com! What’s happening!? Is Amanocchi always looking after that unexpectedness!?”

“Well, can’t say that I don’t.”

“Deny it! A guy that gets lovey-dovey with another girl and fights with his girlfriend right after the confession isn’t unexpected or anything! You’re just a scumbag!”

“Hmm? I’m getting lovey-dovey with Chiaki?”

“Y-Yeah, I’m just chatting with Keita intimately as a ‘friend.’ Agu-nee is impolite.”

“Eh? Ah, s-sorry, Hoshino. I’m just suspecting that there’s a secret relationship between you two…”

“Sheesh, didn’t I say this before? Right now, I’m at most his ‘friend’ only.”

“I-I guess so.”

“Yeah, so -it’s reasonable to hold his head like this.”

“That’s out, Hoshino! I think that’s infinitely close to cheating!”

“Eh? But, Agu-nee always makes all kinds of body contact with Keita, right? Even though you two are just friends.”

“Ugh.”

Aguri-san started moaning in pain. Well, …indeed, come to think of it, I guess Aguri-san pretty much touched all sorts of places.

Aguri-san paid attention to Uehara-kun’s look and answered awkwardly.

“Well, well, as a friend, how much can Agu-nee tolerate Keita?”

“Eh? Tolerating Amanocchi? Ah, come to think of it, I guess I haven’t thought of this before.”

“Oh, I’m slightly interested in this too.”

Uehara-kun suddenly leaned forward as well. What? Are you still suspecting Aguri-san and me? Uehara-kun’s surely not easily annoyed. In reality, the chaotic feelings Aguri-san and I have for each other aren’t completely clear. Ah, so, if you’re asking me how much I can tolerate skin contact with Aguri-san, I-

“If I have to consider Amanocchi, …well, …ah, it’s that, right?”

-Aguri-san seems to have reached a conclusion when I’m thinking.

She looked at Chiaki and Uehara-kun before clearing her throat.

“Ahem, I won’t hug his arms like Hoshino. However…”

“However? Ah, don’t tell me Agu-nee wants to say it’s okay to hold hands?”

“Hey, hey, Aguri, I have to interrupt here as your boyfriend…”

Chiaki and Uehara-kun reacted before Aguri-san could answer.

“Ahaha, I’ll never hold hands with Amanocchi. It’s disgusting.”

She rejected me with a smile. That hurts, you know? But I don’t hate holding hands with Aguri-san. So, if you’re saying how much I can tolerate, that would be-

Just as I thought of an answer-

“But.”

Aguri-san smiled and said the same answer.

“I’m fine with bathing together with Amanocchi.”

“Why!? It’s not fine at all!”

Uehara-kun suddenly stood up and yelled at Aguri-san with a pale face. Chiaki’s the same when I look at her. …Well, even Tendou-san, who’s in an argument with me, started blushing and trembling.

(…E-Eh? Was Aguri-san’s answer that problematic?)

I’m secretly sweating while everyone’s staring at Aguri-san. …Ah, that was close. I would have agreed to what she said if Uehara-kun didn’t say anything. “Ah, I think so too.” I would’ve said that. Phew, that was close. …Even though I don’t have any particular feelings about it.

Well, think about it, alright? You should think about my family. Although it’s a bit embarrassing to hold my little brother’s hands now, there’s no problem with going to the bathhouse or hot springs together, right?

“…………”

Aguri-san and I exchanged looks in secret. We’re genuinely confused. …Hmm, indeed, no matter what, Aguri-san and I can take a bath together even if we don’t hold hands.

However, it looks like we’re the only two that can accept it. The other three are looking at us with a menacing aura. …H-Hmm, I think we’re the ones that lack common sense here.

I cleared my throat and brought up the “skinship with Chiaki” topic again.

“B-But, Chiaki. Perhaps our body contact is a bit too much as friends.”

“Hmm? Really? Even though it’s okay to take a bath together?”

“Well, only Aguri-san and I can take a bath together. By the way, even though we’re friends, I don’t think I can do it with Uehara-kun.”

“Again, why!?”

Uehara-kun yelled. I blushed and plopped my head down.

“…I-It’s embarrassing.”

“Save that reaction for someone else! Why can you do it with Aguri!?”

“A-Anyway, it’s not okay to touch a boy’s body unnecessarily as friends, Chiaki.”

Chiaki’s clearly dissatisfied with what I said. She pouted.

“But, it can’t be helped when there’s body contact between friends. Doesn’t Uehara-kun pat Keita’s head too?”

“I-Indeed, as friends, we touch, …right? N-No, that’s not true for opposite genders-“

“Ah, I’m not touching you on purpose. It’s just sometimes. Keita, you’re too self-conscious.”

Chiaki suddenly interrupted seriously. …Hmm, after she explained it clearly, I think I’m embarrassed by my self-consciousness.

“R-Really? Sorry, I was overthinking. Well, …I think you can touch me.”

“Yes, this is what we call friends, Keita. Well, I’ll touch you to my heart’s content. …Here.”

“…Uh, I think it’s okay for ‘friends’ to do that, …right.”

“You’re totally defenseless, Keita Amano!”

Suddenly, even Tendou-san started yelling along with Uehara-kun and Aguri-san too.

I answered in confusion.

“W-Well, didn’t Chiaki just say I’m just overthinking…?”

“That’s because you’re too pure! Oi, Amano! While I appreciate your absolute trust in friends, you have to draw the line when you start dating Tendou!”

“Line? I mean, I did draw a certain line already…”

“Really? Well, let me ask you this, Amano. If Hoshinomori said, ‘Hey, let’s spend the whole night in my house playing games as friends, okay?’ to you, what would you do?”

“What will I do? …Ha, did you really think I’m this stupid, Uehara-kun?”

“O-Oh, sorry, I think this question’s difficulty too low-“

“As a gamer- how can I not stay over in her house!?”

“You’re totally defenseless.”

Everyone yelled again. After that, Chiaki seems to be mumbling to herself, “…Ah, I can do that, …very well.” She jotted some notes. What is she writing? Nothing to do with me, anyway.

I’m the only one that’s not following up and standing dazedly. Uehara-kun saw my face and tried to guide me.

“You know, you should change this part of yours when you started dating Tendou?”

“Which part?”

“The part where you still care about the girls who aren’t your girlfriend.”

“…………”

“Hey, uh, why’s everyone staring daggers at me?”

Uehara-kun self-destructed tragically. …However, I understood. Thanks to him.

“You’re right, …I got it, Uehara-kun. I’ll try my best to not end up like you!”

“I’m glad you can understand! Damn!”

Aguri-san spoke up after Uehara-kun sat down with tears in his eyes.

“Anyway, let’s leave Hoshino and Amanocchi for now first. I can understand you two befriending each other after all kinds of relationship issues. It’s good that there’s a conclusion. But…”

Aguri-san said that as she looked next to me. At the end of her glance is…a beautiful blonde girl that seems really pissed since then.

Aguri-san gulped and whispered to me.

“…Uh, how did that happen?”

To her question, I repeated the same answer again. “Like I’ve said before.”

“We just have a normal argument.”

“Well, so, you too can get into such a serious fight the day after you became lovers? Is it because of other girls’ scent on Amanocchi?”

“That’s impolite. My body will never have any girl’s scent aside from Tendou-san!”

“Well, Hoshino is hugging your arms right now…”

“Ugh, …but this isn’t why we’re fighting. There’s a deeper meaning to our argument.”

My voice deepens. Tendou-san lowered her head in unison.

Aguri-san and Uehara-kun gulped.

“I-It feels pretty deep.”

“Y-Yeah. Hey, Amano, Tendou. Well, …I know people don’t like me intervening in other’s matters. But, I still want to hear it if you don’t mind. I want to know why…my two most important friends are fighting.”

“Uehara-kun…”

He’s looking at Tendou-san and me sincerely. Our hearts are moved.

Then, this was the first time we looked at each other after that fight.

Both of us nodded at the same time and made up our minds.

Finally, …both of us explained this serious “problem” to our friends.

“It’s about how we should raise our child…”

“Isn’t it too early!?”

The normie couple complained again.

Uehara-kun looks sincerely shocked.

“Eh, I don’t think I need to ask this. But, you two haven't had a child yet, right?”

“Ha, this is the fantasy of a normie with a messed up sex life. You can’t be helped…”

Uehara-kun spiraled into depression. Aguri-san backed him out and asked.

“A-Anyway, how can you two fight around your child when you just started dating?”

“How? …That’s because there’s something where both of us can’t back down.”

“Can’t back down? Ah, is it the future after graduation? It’s important to decide whether you want to live in the north or going to a big city-“

“Ah, nope. We’re fighting over which console should we let our child play first.”

“That doesn’t matter, right!?”

This normie gal immediately got worked up. At the same time, as the person who understands me, Chiaki nodded repeatedly and said, “You indeed can’t back down on this…” Yes, that’s why everyone should get a friend with similar mindsets.

Aguri-san looked at us sympathetically.

“Eh, did Amanocchi and Tendou-san really start a fight because of something that doesn’t even matter?”

“I can’t just skip over the ‘doesn’t even matter’ thing you just said, Aguri-san.”

The game club president immediately glared at the gal. Aguri-san backed down for a moment before continuing. “B-But.”

“First of all, I still think it’s too early to talk about children. In reality, I don’t one or two games can affect the child’s life that much-“

“…Ha!”

“Sheesh, it’s been a long time since I last experienced this blatant impoliteness. By the way, why did Hoshino and Tasuku look down on me too!?”

Uehara-kun hesitated to answer Aguri-san.

“Uh, well, let’s forget about the child-discussion-right-after-dating part. Honestly, I also think that the first game affects your personality a lot…”

“Even Tasuku’s saying that too. …Well, I’m not underestimating you guys. But, aren’t games just entertainment? It’s just a way to play. So, while something like your first book is important, games are…”

“You’re too naïve, Aguri. How innocent.”

“Yeah.”

“Ah, my boyfriend is in the enemy’s camp…”

Aguri-san looked at Uehara-kun hopelessly. Even though I feel sorry for her too, I can’t back down here.

Tendou-san represented the gamers and raised her finger to explain.

“Nope, this is indeed something crucial, Aguri-san. For example, the first game that I’m addicted to is an FPS. That’s why I love ranked battles. …To put it simply, I love games that force you to challenge and outdone yourself. This is why I like improving myself.”

“Ugh, …I guess it’s important when you said that, but that’s just for Tendou-san, right? For example, Tasuku and the others are also influenced by their first games too?”

“Yep, I did. My first game is a casual fighting game. The ones that don’t really care about balance with clearly OP characters. The first memory I have is playing that game while laughing with my friends.”

“W-Wow, Tasuku’s first game does feel like yours. …W-What about Hoshino?”

“Ah, mine was an inexplicably strange maze RPG from overseas! I died due to unacceptable reasons after the adventure!”

“It feels like Hoshino! Eh, don’t tell me the first console games influenced gamers that much!? Well, what about Amanocchi!?”

“An attractive and casual RPG where the protagonist loves reflecting on himself and slowly makes friends.”

“It’s exactly Amanocchi! Eh, what’s happening!? Seriously!? The first game really does influence your personality!”

“Didn’t I say this before? That’s why Tendou-san and I can’t back down on this.”

“Even though I don’t want to admit this, I think I slowly understand you guys! I-Indeed, forget about normal families. Amanocchi and Tendou-san’s child is guaranteed to be a gamer. The first game really does matter here!”

“Right!?”

Tendou-san and I immediately leaned forward to ask for agreement. Aguri-san nodded, but she quickly followed with a question.

“So, what are the differences between you two’s opinions?”

“…Like I said before, we’re having an argument because our feelings for games are different.”

“Ah, in other words, both of you are pushing for your own recommendations? A normal RPG vs. a hardcore FPS?”

“Ah, nope. It’s the opposite.”

“Eh? The opposite?”

After hearing my answer, Aguri-san, Uehara-kun, and Chiaki blinked in confusion.

Tendou-san and I pointed at each other.

Both of us said the crux of this argument at the same time.

“Our child has to be like Tendou-san (Amano-kun)!”

“You unimaginably idiot couples!”

The three dropped their jaws after hearing the reason. Uehara-kun yelled.

“What the hell are you two doing!? All that just for a stupid couple argument!?”

I answered a bit angrily.

“Uehara-kun understands this too, right? How pathetic must it be for our child, who’ll inherit Tendou-san’s elite genes, to have my lonely passerby mindset?”

“Ugh, …w-well, I think what Amano said makes sense…”

“No, it’s not! Uehara-kun, as his dearest friend, you must get it, right? No one in this world has a better soul than he does! Compared to that, how dirty must Karen Tendou’s soul be!?”

“What’s with your pathetic confidence? Well, I do understand Tendou’s reason as well.”

Uehara-kun fell silent after hearing our reasons. Tendou-san and I started asking even more viciously.

“No, Tendou-san is the best girl!”

“No, Amano-kun is the ultimate lifeform!”

“What the hell?”

The other three are already looking at us with a dead fish’s eyes. After seeing their faces, even Tendou-san and I got quieter. We cleared our throats.

“Anyway, that’s why we started fighting. However, that’s at most the initial cause. Our argument isn’t that related to that.”

“Hmm? In other words?”

I smiled bitterly.

“Just like what you saw in the morning, at this point, Tendou-san and I are just having a normal fight. It’s already not really related to our child. Right now, we’re just venting out our dissatisfaction for each other in the past…”

“Although I love Amano-kun, your indecisiveness really pisses me off.”

“That’s my line, Tendou-san. Although I love Tendou-san, you always overthink things. Honestly, I’m having a hard time following up.”

“Ara ara, filthy casuals. You can’t be helped…”

“Tck, you and your attitude are why tryhards are hated in this world!”

The fuse was ignited again during our conversation.

Then, …finally-

Uehara-kun and the others understood something and smiled gently.

“…Sheesh, in the end, you two are just a stupid couple.”

“Yeah, Tasuku. But, it feels refreshing for Amanocchi and Tendou-san to be fighting. …Hmm, perhaps this isn’t too bad.”

“…Maybe. Hmm, what’s happening? I’m getting even more jealous with their argument than with them acting all lovey-dovey.”

It looks like they understood too. I think an argument counts as us having “progress” as well.

This makes me feel slightly relieved. …However, I immediately started an eye-staring contest with the damn blonde girl in front of me.

The spirited and vicious debate that dragged the entire Game Hobby Club started again.

*

“It’s finally getting warmer.”

“Yeah.”

Tendou-san and I looked at the snow on the side as our conversation grew.

It’s 5 PM. Both of us are going home together after the club is over.

We’re on the way to Tendou-san’s house. The snow was rustling as we stepped on it.

Initially, Uehara-kun’s house is here too. We could’ve gone home together. Yet, he said something along the lines of, “I'll tease my friends at the sports clubs before going home.” He even left Aguri-san behind before disappearing inside the school. …He still really loves taking care of others, unlike a certain demon king-sama. Ah, right, perhaps that’s the reason why Aguri-san loves him-

“Hmm? Amano-kun? What’s wrong?”

I was lost in thoughts. Tendou-san looked at me with a slightly worried expression.

I smiled bitterly and said what I was thinking out loud. “Ah, it’s nothing.”

“I’m just thinking about Aguri-san.”

“Hmph!”

Tendou-san immediately frowned. It’s already too late when I realized I messed up. She turned around angrily and dashed away from me.

“It looks like Amano-kun cares about another girl more than his girlfriend next to him!”

“N-No! It’s not like that! Tendou-san understands it too, right? I’m just overthinking due to worrying about her.”

“Hmm, …I-I guess so. Well, what would Amano-kun think if you heard me say, ‘I was thinking about Uehara-kun?’ after a while of silence?”

“I’ll cry, of course!”

“How can you say something so unmanly in such a manly way!?”

Tendou-san shrugged helplessly and continued.

“Anyway, you get it now, right? When I hear you say another girl’s name, I…just, …well, …how should I put it?”

I guess she’s embarrassed in the middle. Tendou-san started stuttering as she rolled the tip of her hair with her fingers. …What’s with this adorable creature? Did I sleep while playing a hentai game?

Well, anyway, I should stop my girlfriend from worrying about me.

I made up my mind and walked up to her. Then, I gently put my hand on hers.

After that, she stopped with a surprised look. I blushed and stared at her determinedly.

“You’re always in my heart even when I’m talking about someone else.”

“…Amano-kun.”

Tendou-san’s eyes look watery. Her cheeks flared up as well.

Then, she buried her face into her scarf…and answered.

“That line is still quite embarrassing in a daily scene…”

“I-I guess so!”

My cheeks are unusually hot from embarrassment and regret. Ah, how can I say something so disgusting even when it’s just a normal after-school time…!? There’s a limit to excitement…!

“Ugh, please forget it…!”

I moaned and let go of her hand. Then, I wrapped my hands around my head. After that-

“Ah…”

“?”

-Tendou-san seems to feel a bit lonely. …Then, at the next moment, she twisted her body with her mouth still buried inside the scarf.

“But, uh, …it’s not like you can’t stop doing that…”

“Eh?”

I didn’t understand for a moment. However, she’s secretly glancing at my hand. I quickly answered.

“Ah, ...sure. I-I see.”

“Y-Yes…”

“W-Well, uh, s-so, let’s…”

“S-Sure…”

We started holding each other’s hands stiffly. Honestly, it feels like we’re just shaking hands.

“…………”

However, after we started moving forward, …we finally understood how we should respond. Our fingers crossed as we held each other even tighter.

“…………”

…Well, there’s actually no need to describe the feeling.

Right now, both of us are blushing really hard. No one said anything.

Well, if we’re couples already, going back to our home while hand holding should be a piece of cake. …But, honestly, this isn’t a slice-of-life. Come to think of it, 90% of my brain power is focused on her hand. We can’t even chat anymore. Perhaps we don’t even know where we are going as well. This is super unusual.

“…………”

After a long while, the garden scene turned into a lively downtown street with trees.

We stopped by the traffic lights and sighed in relief before looking at each other.

“…Hoho.”

Strangely, we’re relieved with each other’s nervousness. There’s finally a break. Then, Tendou-san seemed to have noticed something and looked in the opposite direction. She smiled.

“Come to think of it, everything started over there, right?”

“Hmm? …Ah, yeah.”

I followed her look and understood what she meant. That’s a game store. It’s just a normal and worn-out rural game store. However-

“Come to think of it, that’s where Tendou-san called me for the first time.”

“Yes, so, everything between you and me started there.”

“Yeah. Well, but I already knew about you at the time.”

“Ara, I’ve actually seen you many times if you say that? Even though I don’t know your name yet…”

Tendou-san looks a bit ashamed. I quickly comforted her.

“It’s okay, it’s okay! That’s guaranteed! By the way, I’m honored for Tendou-san to know me as ‘Otobuki High School Boy C’ already! …Well, by the way, Tendou-san should know my name by now, right? …Uh, my name’s Keita.”

“You’re the first one to introduce yourself like that in front of your girlfriend!”

Tendou-san sighed and continued.

“Amano-kun, this part of you never changed ever since we met.”

“Well, that’s because a passerby will always be a passerby, even after he started going out with a princess-sama.”

I answered fluently. Tendou-san’s lips curled up as she comforted me.

“I-I don’t think a passerby that can go out with a princess is a side character…”

“Nope, I am. People only know a guy like me from the epilogue where we happily lived ever after. The princess solved all of the important events on her own.”

“It’s kind of sad to see how low you’re seeing yourself.”

“At least I’m not a tachie.” [It’s similar to concept art. You draw the character without any background. A conversation bubble is sometimes included.]

“What tachie?”

Tendou-san sighed helplessly. I feel a bit regretful after seeing her reaction.

(Hmm, am I too self-abased…?)

Maybe it’s because I’ve been alone for too long. I’m still not good with these kinds of things. Thoughts like “seeing yourself too lowly only make people that care about you sad” didn’t appear in my heart until now.

However, I actually feel sad when my favorite game developers say that their game is meaningless. Well, even though I also hate people that give themselves too much credit.

The traffic light turned green, and we crossed the road. However, we didn’t talk during this period.

…Honestly, this is also why we got into a fight yesterday.

I really love Tendou-san, and I respect her from the bottom of my heart. …That’s why I’m despising myself more than usual. Tendou-san’s unwillingness to back down is definitely not just over stupid topics like the first game for our child. Instead, it’s something much, much deeper.

I, Keita Amano, am still unwilling to acknowledge how much I am worth.

She’s mad because of this.

Actually, I also know that this is a bad part of me. So, naturally, I wanted to improve.

(However, even so, I can’t change my personality on a whim…)

Not being confident in myself is one of my core personality structures. I need strong determination if I want to improve, just like if I have to stop being humpbacked.

“…………”

In the end, we didn’t say anything meaningful. Both of us walked into the game store.

After that, Tendou-san passed through the new release area without taking a glance. Just as I’m wondering where she’s going, …she stopped at an unexpected place.

“Tendou-san? This is…the dating sim area.”

“Yes, …this is where we first talked to each other.”

“Oh, yeah.”

“Amano-kun was super nervous at that time.”

“Ugh, …y-yeah. Well, I’m still nervous when facing Tendou-san now.”

I was a bit nostalgic as I looked at the shelf. However, that game isn’t there already. Time moves forward, and it shifts everything.

However, I…still haven’t changed.

I’m still not confident in myself. I still love games. I’m still really clumsy.

…Of course, even so, I’m not planning to run away with an excuse like “I can’t match her.” It’s more like it’s the exact opposite. If I can’t match her right now, I have to work hard to stand next to her.

Yes.

I have to be more confident to stay with my beloved Tendou-san-

At the moment that I made up my mind-

“Well, I’m fine with however you see yourself, Amano-kun.”

“Eh?”

I let out a surprised sound. Then, she said-

“It’s because-“

-She’s not pausing to see my reaction. Instead, she continued as if she’s saying an undeniable fact.

“The fact that you’re the best person to me in the world will never change.”

“…………”

After hearing that, my chest just took a dazzlingly heavy blow.

She acknowledged everything that makes me, including my hopeless side.

I can’t believe someone like this exists in the world. Is this love? In this case, I can understand why those couples always do stupid things in public.

I…I’ll be useless if this continues! I’ll be a worthless person! So, I can’t be spoiled here!

Although I don’t want to be spoiled, …what should I do? I’m so happy that it hurts. I’m about to cry. Sorry, I lied. I already cried a little, but I wiped my tears right away.

Just as I’m twisting my body disgustingly, Tendou-san observed me. She looks sincerely confused.

“Hmm? Eh? What’s wrong, Amano-kun? Your face looks really red?”

It looks like this girl doesn’t know how destructive what she just said is. I’m regretting over me being the only one embarrassed. I can’t help but hide my face behind my arms and answer rudely.

“Tck…! T-That’s why I don’t like natural tryhards! Do you even know how to spell ‘embarrassment’ correctly!? I can’t believe you can say something so embarrassing…!”

“Wha-“

Then, after hearing that, Tendou-san retorted angrily as usual.

“What was that!? Tryhards!? You want a fight? Are we fighting now!?”

“No, we aren’t. By the way, Tendou-san immediately switched to your combat stance.”

I can’t help but say what I sincerely think after seeing her childish reaction. However, I think this pissed her off even more. Tendou-san asked furiously.

“Ha!? You picked a fight, and yet you say things like that!? Ah, sheesh, that’s why filthy casuals that pretend to be mature while misunderstanding things are-“

“I can’t just pretend I didn’t hear that. We’re much better than people that immediately fight after eye contact. You aren’t a Pokemon trainer, right?”

“What did you just say!?”

“What?”

So, even if it’s just a day after we started going out, we entered our second argument.

This is the future that I never thought about when we met a year ago.

However-

This is the reality we’ve achieved after a year.

“In the end, Amano-kun has always-“

“No, no, Tendou-san has always been like-“

We bickered with each other quietly as we left to avoid causing troubles for others.

During this time, suddenly, I glanced at the new release area.

Even though time moves forward, I can still find something that connects both of us. The disc of <Golden Memories 3> is right on the shelf.



Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment