Thursday, February 18, 2021

Gamers! Volume 10 Chapter 1

Volume 10 – Karen Tendou and Surprise Update

Chapter 1 – Keita Amano and Demon King Subjugation

Translator: your_pingas

The bell that urges the students to leave the school rang across the classroom under the sunset.

A bus drove into the roundabout outside and raised a bunch of delicate snowflakes.

The students walking outside look pretty cheerful. They are chatting happily with their friends or club members as they are going home. Everyone’s enjoying their respective after-school time.

This is no exception for the 5 guys and girls in the Game Hobby Club.

We’re also setting up the scene at a corner of the 2F classroom with the “Hobby Club” flag. The five of us are still messing with each other today just as usual- or that should be the case. However…

“…………”

I looked around, and 4 servings of suffocating eyes are staring at me in silence.

I feel like I’m in an extremely stressful interview right now.

…It’s hard to blame them.

The reason is because of me, Keita Amano.

I’m facing these 4 people, …Tendou-san, Uehara-kun, Chiaki, and Aguri-san-

“…I’m really sorry.”

-I’m confessing my sincere “atonement” in my heart.

Everything started 2 days ago.

I was introduced as a “boyfriend” in my “friend’s girlfriend’s house’s relative meeting.” That’s how everything started.

…………

Ay, yes, I know. “Forget the start; you’re already disqualified with that, right. You have to atone right now.” I deeply understand you guys for wanting to skip to the conclusion and stop me from talking.

However, I hope all of you can just wait for a moment. Anyway, about me visiting another person’s home as a boyfriend, there’s actually a concrete reason.

The reason has to do with my friend’s girlfriend -Aguri-san’s relative that she introduced to me. This person is not to be pushed around.

Sigh, if we’re just going with a slight introduction…

- Main Fushiguro. Age: unknown. Aguri-san’s cousin. A super beautiful flight attendant.

- 10 out of 10 guys that met her will turn around. They will even look at her 3 times.

- A genius that can do anything.

- She’s super considerate of her little sister.

…Anyway, she’s an incredibly high-standard person.

So, if there’s any issues with this perfect cousin-

-Honestly, this person’s an evil villain on the inside.

Also, she’s a villain with an exceedingly terrible personality. She’s the type that won’t even turn friendly in the movie version. Instead, she turns into an enemy that makes our side as miserable as possible. Finally, this douche will ignore the story and win without reason.

Violent, overpowered, superhuman.

This is Main Fushiguro.

Even so, of course, she wouldn’t use those low-level “violence.”

She uses something nobler, stronger, and sharper-

-Yes, it’s logic and skills.

Indeed, she never “uses violence to rob something away.”

However, on the other hand, she’s a person that uses her skills logically to execute legitimate exploitation.

Once she finds something she wants, she’ll request an entirely fair duel with equal risk to its owner. This is Main Fushiguro.

From this point, …no, no matter how you look at it, it’s a legitimate and reasonable duel. That’s why we can’t argue.

…The problem is this Main Fushiguro woman is exceptionally outstanding at “competitions.”

In other words, she’s almost absolutely invincible as long as a “fair competition” is held according to the game rules.

A woman like this with her competitive attitude, that’s already- either a rogue god or a natural disaster. You can only pray that your house isn’t her next target.

Alright, at this point, I think everyone understands already.

She’s a terrible cousin that can rob everything away because she suddenly wants to. No one will introduce her “real boyfriend” to her obediently, especially for a high-quality handsome guy like Uehara-kun. Aguri-san will definitely not introduce him to her that easily. However, she has to follow her “introduction promise.” It’s because there will be a harsher punishment if she didn’t do it.

As a last resort, Aguri-san decided to sacrifice someone else and chose…

Yes, she chose a disgusting otaku virgin that no one wants- which is me, Keita Amano!

…………

…Sigh, I’m really sorry. Although I explained the prologue myself, there’s no need for me to hate myself this much, right? Ugh, even if I’m not Uehara-kun, I guess someone with unusual fetishes may still want me. Uh, …for example, they may wish to have a weaker gaming opponent. …Yes. ….Crap, the more I think about it, the fewer reasons I can come up with to “recommend” Keita Amano. It hurts me so much. L-Let’s go back to the topic.

Anyway, I think everyone can understand why I visited Aguri-san’s home as her boyfriend.

Let’s forget whether everyone agrees with me first. However, I don’t regret this for a single bit. It’s because Aguri-san and I didn’t betray our respective lover…

…At least, that’s true until this point.

Indeed, Aguri-san and I, …no, I, Keita Amano, have to apologize to everyone because of what happened next-

“-I’m taking Aguri-san, everything of her.”

-An idiotic and lonely otaku just clearly executed a “territorial invasion” to his friend.

*

“I deeply understand how mistaken I am to do that.”

Finally, -after I explained how Main-san went wild that day, I wiped the sweat on my forehead with the back of my head.

Around my desk, with Uehara-kun as the center, Tendou-san and Chiaki are just next to him. They are the “apology-accepting trio” here. The three of them sat in front of me, shoulder to shoulder. As for Aguri-san, she sat somewhere behind us, which’s a bit far away. She put her hands on her chin as if this has nothing to do with her.

“…………”

These people never answered me once when I started the story. They are just listening to what I’m saying. My optimistic side treats this as them willing to hear me out seriously. The pessimistic side, …which is like 90% of me, perceives this based on disappointment and anger.

Of course. Until this point, people have suspected the relationship between my friend’s girlfriend and me a few times. I just kicked all the evidence away with, “That’s dumb.” “We didn’t do anything bad.” “It’s just a coincidence/misunderstanding.” Sometimes, we even think that Tendou-san and Uehara-kun are annoying to bug us out.

It’s different this time.

At that time, I was consciously laying waste on Uehara-kun- her boyfriend’s territory.

“I requested a direct match with Aguri-san’s cousin that wagered her ‘ownership.’ No matter how much I tried to cover it, …this is not something that a friend should do.”

I feel like I’m really in a stressful interview. My hands are sweating as I grabbed my kneecaps. …Crap, even though I already mentally prepared myself. …However, I feel really diffident when I’m facing my important ones.

“Not to mention that the person in question has a boyfriend, …and I also have a girl that I should treat with sincerity. I was so dumb for making a big fat lie like that…”

My friend, partner-in-battle, the person I love, and the girl I care about are all here.

These people are in the Hobby Club right now. I want to show my best side to all of them as much as possible. They are important to me.

However, …that’s why I need to be honest and confess my sins.

“Then, the worst thing that I did is, …even though I know this is an invasion, I still took a step forward. In other words, I consciously…betrayed everyone’s trust in me.”

This feels like I’m slowly tearing apart my favorite game disc. I can feel the circular plate slowly bending, twisting, and breaking. My chest is about to be torn apart too.

How much better would it be if everyone can just be disappointed, angry, or end our friendships without me knowing. Why do I have to do that by myself…

“…………”

“…I’m really, really sorry.”

I can’t handle the four of them staring at time, and I finally can’t help but plop my head down. Honestly, it’s a miracle that I haven’t cried yet. It looks like somewhere in my heart, I still want to play it cool in front of the people I love, even at this point. …How hilarious.

“…………”

A suffocatingly deep atmosphere that makes people want to escape enveloped me.

However, even so, …I still think I should make a conclusion. So, I mustered my final courage and raised my head before continuing bravely.

“That’s the end of my apology. …Well, everyone, if there’s something you want to say-“

<Bang!>

-Suddenly, everyone except Aguri-san slammed the table. After that, three people stood up abruptly under the sunset-filled classroom.

“Eh?”

The unexpected reaction made me stand up as well. H-Hiya, honestly, I’m already mentally prepared to be punched by Uehara-kun. I just didn’t expect that the three of them would beat me up together.

“Ugh…”

I really want to back up. However…

(N-No, even though this attack power is beyond my imagination, I have to take it since I'm wrong here.)

I spurred my cowardly heart and decided to take everyone’s rage at once. I bulged my eyes at the three of them.

“…………”

Only the noise of me gulping can be heard in the eerily silent classroom.

After that, Uehara-kun stood in front of me. He lowered his head…as he slowly put his hands on my shoulders.

“Ugh.”

Facing the expectation that I’m finally getting punched, even though I tried to keep my eyes bulged, my body froze right there.

Then, finally, everyone and Uehara-kun slowly raised their head-

-Their strong emotions erupted towards me, who’s deeply sinful!

“-Beautiful! That’s our Keita Amano!”

“Yes, I’m really sor- …Eh?”

I tried to apologize reflectively. However, I heard something that was out of my expectation. So, I looked at Uehara-kun again confusingly. After that-

“…Eh?”

-Instead of my friends’ angry eyes, -I saw pairs of sparkling eyes that look like they’re watching a hero’s show.

“Eh? Eh? Eh?”

I have no idea what’s happening at all. All I can do is feel dazed. Also, I looked around, and it’s not just Uehara-kun. Even Tendou-san and Chiaki are giving me the same look.

“Hmm, hmm! Yes, this is Amano-kun! You’re amazing!”

“Yes, yes! Seriously, I’ve been waiting a long time for this! Hi, Amano-ya!”

“…Eh, no, …ehh? What’s happening…?”

I can’t follow up at all. So, I tried to find help and stared in Aguri-san’s direction.

Her hands are still on her chin as she sighed a bit helplessly.

“Sheesh, Amanocchi, why are you surprised?”

“Uh, look, why am I…not being scolded right now? Instead, you guys are praising me…”

I said that since I don’t understand.

Aguri-san shrugged her shoulders helplessly again. …Then, she looked at me gently and spoke up.

“Why would a friend be mad when they hear such an ‘Amanocchi-styled’ story?”

“…………”

I can’t help but bulge my eyes after hearing that. During this time, Chiaki and Tendou-san agreed with Aguri-san and nodded repeatedly.

“Yes, yes! It’s such a Keita-flavoured story by Keita. We love it a lot!”

“Chiaki-san’s right. Your story really feels like you. …To that, we can do nothing but throw praises at you. I think it’s not weird for our noses to bleed at this point.”

I don’t think they are lying. The two girls look really excited with their bright eyes, and Tendou-san even prepared her handkerchief.

“…You two…”

Even though I’m deeply throbbed by what they just said, there’s still worry inside my heart. I looked at Uehara-kun, who’s right in front of me.

…If we take a hundred steps back, I understand why Chiaki and Tendou-san love those things with my style. I really appreciated that. I’m already relieved.

However, …Uehara-kun’s different, right? Logically, he’s the worst victim in this whole incident.

I visited his girlfriend’s house without authorization and even acted like a boyfriend in front of her relatives. In the end, I participated in a grand battle that put his girlfriend on the wager.

No man in this world would be kind enough to forgive a territory-invading douchebag like-

“Hiya! That’s our Amano! I’ve never been so proud of you!”

-There is. It’s right here.

Uehara-kun patted my shoulder loudly and showed me an exceptionally refreshing smile as he continued.

“Hiya, I was freaking out from frustration when I haven’t seen ‘your style’ for a long time! I can’t hide my excitement when someone’s giving me a super ‘Keita Amano-ly’ latte!”

“What’s with that disgusting drink? Can you not compare my attitude to a cup of latte?”

After I complained dumbfoundedly, I replied….the friend in front of me with a smile.

“Uehara-kun, …thank you.”

“Oh! I’m the one supposed to be thanking you!”

His carefree smile saved me from the bottom of my heart.

However, …even so, I can’t just accept it at face value.

I looked at him solemnly and continued apologizing.

“…But, Uehara-kun. It’s still a fact that I betrayed you disgustingly…”

However, Uehara-kun just smiled at my apology.

“Hey, hey. What ‘betrayal’ are you talking about?”

“So, I just put your lover Aguri-san on the wager-“

“Oh, this. I only want to say one thing about what you did…”

After Uehara-kun paused for a beat, …at the next moment, he put his hand on my head.

“You tried your best to protect my important girl. Thanks, bro.”

“…!”

At that moment, I hastily blanketed my eyes with my sleeves.

…Crap, …I didn’t expect to really cry at this moment. I can feel my sleeves getting wet immediately, and I’m soon in my 3rd year of high school. How embarrassing…!

“Oh, …how should I put it?”

It looks like Uehara-kun realized my state as well.

“…Uh, right, instead of Amano, Aguri, I want to hear your apology more!”

“Eh!? Why!?”

They naturally removed the topic away from me and started chatting. I guess the two are giving me time to adjust my emotions.

“Don’t say why! Even though I understand that you are not introducing me honestly, you shouldn’t make Amano do all the work! That supernatural onee-san and Amano are like oil and water!”

E-Even so, no one can deal with that Mai-nee!”

“Ugh…! …H-How about Kase-senpai?”

“That fake boyfriend’s choice is too shocking, right!? I don’t know that person at all!”

“Agu-nee, Agu-nee, I think Kousei-kun’s a good choice!”

“That’s another confusing choice! If he gets along with Main-san, the ‘bad personality concentration’ in the room will be too high! It will upset me!”

“Aguri-san, I recommend Mizumi-kun. I bet he can turn the entire thing around.”

“I don’t want anything to be turned around at all! Moreover, I have no connection with him, alright!?”

After that, the Game Hobby Club started chatting about Aguri-san’s “what should I do” loudly.

So, I appreciated everyone and cleared my mind in around 2 minutes.

I finally rejoined the conversation when they’re talking about, “So, how did the duel go?”

*

“Oh, come to think of it, I didn’t get to explain the duel and the result.”

After I threw that out, Chiaki leaned forward and glared at me a bit angrily. “Yeah, yeah.”

“Sheesh, stop leaving us in a cliffhanger, Keita! Are you that Urasawa-san from somewhere!?” [Note: Naoki Urasawa, a master mangaka that’s famous for creating cliffhangers.]

“No, I don’t remember dragging out the story like the plot of revealing Friend’s true identity…” [Note: Friend is a cult leader and the antagonist in Urasawa’s <20th Century Boys>.]

“That’s how much I’m looking forward to it! K-Keep going!”

“Alright. …Sheesh, I got it. Well, I’ll start from the conclusion-“

I scratched my head and tried to progress the story casually. Right here.

“STOOOOOP!”

“?”

Uehara-kun, Tendou-san, and Chiaki immediately stopped me there.

The three of them got close to me angrily, and their face is overflowing with stress.

“W-What are you thinking, Amano-kun!?”

“Uh, no, w-what’s wrong, Tendou-san? What do you mean? I’m just trying to talk about the story’s ending…”

“Hoho, that’s why you’re a twisted, non-mainstream idiot boy!”

“Tendou-san!?”

Why did my ex-girlfriend get really mad at me? Seriously, I don’t understand what’s happening at all. …But, when I looked around, I realized Chiaki and Uehara-kun agreed with Tendou-san too.

They spoke up as if they’re scolding me.

“Keita is still that degenerate among creators!”

“I’m not even a creator, alright…”

“But, you should’ve learned it as an otaku, right! A story arc should be complete!”

“NOBE is the last person I want to hear this from!”

This girl doesn’t just ignore the story arc. She even threw away all of the existing concepts of a story and went on her own journey. This Miss Modernly Artistic Game Creator actually dares to teach me the importance of a story arc.

“Sigh…” I sighed. As for Uehara-kun, he summarized the two girls’ opinions in a short sentence.

“In other words, Amano, we’re seeking entertainment from your last weekend’s story!”

“What are you even requesting of a loner that’s bad with words, my friend?”

I’m the guy that lived his “times I spoke today at school = 0” life plainly before meeting with everyone in the Game Hobby Club. What are you even talking about…

However, Uehara-kun ignored my dumbfounded expression and continued.

“At least, what we want to say is that you shouldn’t start from the conclusion. It’s the same logic as no detective novel tells you who the criminal is right away.”

“Actually, there are quite a lot. I often bump into this kind of novel.”

Suddenly, the original literature gal next to him, Aguri-san, came with an on-point rebuttal.

But, Uehara-kun ignored his ex-girlfriend’s unwise betrayal and cleared his throat.

“A-Anyway. To us, this story, …<Keita Amano and Demon King Subjugation> is the hottest comedy right now.”

“Can you not treat someone’s lift as a comedy so casually and even giving it a weird subtitle?”

This is the first time that someone added a subtitle to me in my life. …It’s the first time, right?

Just as I’m falling into confusion when people are giving me weird looks, Uehara-kun continued.

“It’s impossible for us to not be excited. It’s because…this story is about the ‘Keita Amano’ that we’re familiar with. He’s going to use his weakest power for Aguri and face a terrible and vicious enemy, right? Of course, this only makes us look forward to it!”

“What do you mean by terrible and vicious? What do you mean by weakest?”

“Right now, we can’t wait for the next episode’s story the most. You actually tried to start from the conclusion directly…! For example, if Jungi Inagawa started his story with ‘this is a ghost tale in the end,’ what would you think!?” [Note: Jungi Inagawa, a director of scary movies.]

“Ugh…!?”

This is somehow really convincing to me. Indeed, …a story’s “essence” is slowly pushing towards the end. I have to think about this.

…………

…Wait, does a guy living an everyday life need this ability? Isn’t it far more critical to grasp the skill of talking effectively?

However, Tendou-san, Chiaki, and Uehara-kun look like they are kids from the Showa period looking forward to a serialized play. Their eyes are glowing brightly. Well, I can’t really reject them…

“…Fine. I’ll go from the start. …Well, I may as well try to make the story sound more interesting in my own way.”

“Alright, Amano-ya!”

“…………”

I didn’t expect a guy like me to feel that my treasured friends are annoying one day. I glanced at Aguri-san. She, the girl who knows the entire story, shrugged frustratedly before yawning. After that, she started playing on her phone lazily…

(…Hey, everyone, the “main heroine” of my following story is acting like that. …Do you guys really not care about that?)

Even though I really wanted to say that, the three of them will just complain, “How disappointing do you have to be?” So, I kept it inside my heart.

Then…

“Uh, …well, Main-san and I are in the final game duel that wagers <Aguri-san’s ownership> started like that…”

(Gulp…)

All of my friends are looking at me.

I started talking about my ridiculous experience- Also, I’m giving a speech passionately in front of the gal that’s still the main heroine-

-It’s a hellish memory, and it just started reluctantly like that.

*

“So? Which game are you going to win against me, Amako?”

After we argued with each other at the door, all of us returned to the living room to battle. Then, without waiting for me to take off my coat, the demon king- Main Fushiguro-san said that.

She’s still that absolute beauty with platinum hair. Initially, a lonely otaku like me will never be involved with a woman like this. …However, she’s shooting me a passionate and competitive look right now.

“…………”

However, I didn’t immediately take her bait. Instead, I took off my coat casually and folded them neatly. Then, I answered her after putting my bag in the corner of the room.

“…Let’s fight with the <Customized Mecha> I saw in the game catalog.”

“Hey, <CM> is really…”

Main-san mumbled the abbreviation of the game as she started searching for the game in the menu joyfully. Also, I think this game doesn’t belong to Aguri-san’s house. Instead, Main-san brought it over. With that alone…

(Well, I bet she already played the game to its fullest…)

Although we don’t know each other for long, I already have a grasp of Main-san’s personality.

Main-san, a beautiful flight attendant, she’s the original genius of the old Game Club. …She’s a being infinitely close to Tendou-san’s level. In other words, her attitude towards things that interests her is way different than when it’s not appealing to her. She’ll finish everything once she started playing.

So, when I saw she owns the game, I didn’t expect her to be a newbie at all. I bet she’s not the type to buy a game because of memories or collection purposes.

(…But, I’m already mentally prepared for that.)

I sighed and made up my mind. After that, I stood next to her to face our match-

“Wait, Amanocchi, Amanocchi!”

“What?”

-Someone pulled my sleeves as soon as I tried to move.

I was pulled to the corner of the room. After we got far enough from Main-san, she- the main heroine gal of this match, Aguri-san glared at me fiercely.

“What the hell are you thinking!?”

“Uh, what do you mean by what I’m thinking? -Of course, I’m thinking about your love!”

“Huh, -why are you saying that with a serious face!? I, Aguri, already have a brilliant boyfriend that’s Tasuku…”

Aguri-san got flustered after hearing my line. …Ugh.

“Hey, can you not brew this atmosphere like I’m loving Aguri-san as a girl? It’s disgusting, and most importantly, it’s pissing me off.”

“Okay, Amanocchi, come here and grit your teeth!”

After the warning, she immediately slapped me on the face- no, instead, she stomped my feet brutally. I moaned in pain after taking an unexpected attack before curling up like I’m a comedy manga character. After that, I protested with tears in my eyes.

“What’s the point of you telling me to grit my teeth!?”

“No, I just wanted to attack somewhere you didn’t expect.”

“Is this how you treat a guy that’s wagering you!? You bitch gal!” [Note: I didn’t exaggerate his tone here. That’s what he said.]

“That’s my line, alright!? Is a young man supposed to say that after he wagered the main heroine, Aguri!? You…<Betrayer Amano>!”

“Oh, it feels like a classic novel, <Betrayer Amano>. It sounds nice.”

“No, I’m not praising you at all, okay!? By the way, Amanocchi, why do you always leap before you think!?”

“Ah, it’s because that’s me.”

“Look, this is <Betrayer Amano>!”

Aguri-san looks pretty upset. “Calm down.” I calmed down and continued.

“I’ll be the only victim even if I lose. Aguri-san, you don’t need to worry about this too much.”

After she heard what I said, Aguri-san stopped joking around. Instead, she plopped her head down and said this sincerely and regretfully.

“…Bakanocchi. You really think…I won’t worry?”

“…No. I’m…really, really sorry about that.”

“Exactly…”

If I’m her, …if Aguri-san will lose something important because of me, I’m guaranteed to feel pain. It’s going to be regretful and enraging.

“…………”

A suffocating silence radiated between her and me. However, Aguri-san quickly raised her embarrassed face. “B-But…” She mumbled and looked away from me before continuing.

“How should I say this…? You being pissed for me as a friend…makes me feel really happy. Thank you, Amanocchi.”

“…Oh, it’s okay. …Well, …you don’t need to thank me.”

We smiled at each other embarrassingly. Then-

“Sorry for intruding you two, Keita-nii-chan, Aguri-nee-chan.”

-Suddenly, a voice from below freaked both of us out. We can’t help but take a step back.

We hastily looked down and saw a little girl with a goth loli dress.

“M-Mii-chan…”

I can feel her dissatisfaction from her pure eyes. So, I immediately called her name with a head full of sweat.

Mii Fushiguro, she’s the little sister of Main-san. This little girl treats Main-san as “mom” respectfully. So, that’s why her appearance looks a bit different than other same-age girls. Well, if I have to point out their difference…

“Can you two flirt later?”

“Where did you learn that word from?”

…This. Instead of saying she’s growing up faster, it’s more like her words are really biased. However, that’s because of her primary guardian right now. So…

Aguri-san and I shrugged our shoulders. Mii-chan pressed on.

“Mom already prepared the game, and she wanted me to call you two.”

“Oh, uh, really. Thanks, I’m going.”

I answered and patted Mii-chan’s head gently. This time, …she got uncharacteristically obedient and looked at my eyes.

“…Keita-nii-chan, are you seriously trying to defeat Mom?”

To that, I answered with a bitter smile.

“I guess so.”

“…Mii thinks that this is called ‘recklessness.’ …You still have time to apologize now…”

Mii’s looking at me worriedly.

I patted her head again and replied to her with a confident smile.

“Thank you, Mii-chan. But, this is the only time where I don’t plan to back down.”

“…I see. …Sheesh, Keita-nii-chan is really an idiot.”

“People often say that to me these days.”

“Isn’t it a fact?”

“Ugh.”

“Well, Mii will leave first.”

Mii-chan dashed towards Main-san after saying that.

I looked at her innocent back. Then, Aguri-san stood next to me and asked.

“So? Seriously, Amanocchi, do you really think you have a chance?”

“…Uh, …sigh, …how should I say this…? I think I have?”

“No, I’m the main heroine in this duel. I do hope that you can guarantee ‘yes’ like a man.”

Aguri-san felt a bit deflated. It can’t be helped. I changed my mind to cheer her up.

“…I do, I do.”

“No, no, no, ‘have’ and ‘yes’ are the same thing. You can just say it once! I feel like you’re just being flippant right now!”

“I’m sorry. It looks like I feel a bit deflated after thinking that this is a duel where Aguri-san is the main heroine. …I think I’m only at 70% of my true power…”

“Get your damn powers out! T-Think about it, I’ll give you a prize if you win! Alright!?”

“Eh? Hmm, it can’t be helped even if Aguri-san said that. My ‘power switch’ can only be turned on by Tendou-san…”

“What’s wrong with you!?”

“Oh, right, but there’s something I want you to help before the battle.”

“W-What? Oh, do I have to kiss your face to cheer you up? It’s a bit too-“

“No, can you please not give me that ‘main heroine’ face?”

“Are you really fighting for me!?”

“Especially that passionate ‘GOOOOOO! AMANOCCHI!!!’ scream, I’ll die from embarrassment if you suddenly yelled that. Please don’t do that.”

“You’re limiting an ally’s support when facing the final boss. What kind of protagonist are you!?”

“Alright, …it’s time for me to go.”

“Right now!? Wait, please, Amanocchi, we can go after coming up with a better mood-“

She suddenly stopped in the middle of her speech. I was curious about what’s wrong with her. So, I turned around. She seems to be…looking at the tip of my finger-

“--!”

“…Amanocchi, your hands are shivering…”

She’s looking at me extremely worriedly. I hastily turned around and blocked my hands with my body as I said.

“L-Look, this is what I’m talking about! Didn’t I say this before? Don’t act like a real main heroine. S-Sheesh, this isn’t like you-“

She’s staring at me from behind as I’m mumbling.

Aguri-san suddenly…punched me from behind.

After that, she said something, …not as the main heroine.

Instead, she’s the usual Aguri-san, who’s my terrible friend, as she cheered me up.

“-Go do your thing, Amanocchi.”

“-Yes.”

Simple, straightforward, it’s a pretty mundane conversation.

However, …frustratingly, this gave me full power.

“…Sorry for the wait. Well, let’s start, Main-san.”

“Oho, …let’s go, Amako.”

Finally, I sat next to the demon king for the epic finale.

*

<Customized Mecha>, it’s just like its name. The famous action game allows you to battle with your customized mecha.

Everything in this game can be interchanged, body parts, leg parts, special secondary weapons, not to mention the main gun. You can assemble a stylish mecha to fight with CPUs or other players.

…This game sounds difficult when I’m just listing the major features. However, in reality, it’s a quick-paced action game for all players.

The mecha in this game’s world is just a small mechanic toy that exploded between kids. Also, the game’s plot is only about a kid that got a mecha from his parents. He started winning his way from the local competition all the way to the national level. Sometimes, he’ll fight against organizations that misuse mechas. …It’s a classical shonen manga plot.

In other words, this game is designed for children with very low bars.

However, there’s a shared feature for all famous games. -They take care of both low-skilled and expert players at the same time.

This game is no exception, especially when it comes to player vs. player. From tactics, controls to parts structure, there’s a lot worth going into in this masterpiece.

This is precisely the game that the original Otobuki High School Game Club president would love.

But, at the same time…

“Hey, Amako.”

Main-san looked at the screen and chose “battle” as she spoke to me. I’m trying to familiarize myself with the 2P controls as I answered, “What?”

“I bet you chose this game because you’re confident, right?”

“…Who knows? I’m not sure.”

The screen switched as I replied. It split into the top and bottom customization screen.

Main-san shrugged her shoulders exaggeratedly next to me.

“Hey, hey, please, Amako? Don’t disappoint me with the ending if you escalated this so much?”

“I couldn’t care less about that. Well, ..it’s just that.”

“It’s just what?”

After I confirmed the default basic mecha that showed before changing the parts-

-I pressed the confirm button and smiled at Main-san.

“I’m going with the default one on the first battle. You can continue customizing if you want.”

“What-“

Two shocking voices can be heard from Aguri-san and Mii-chan, who’re the audience.

“Hey, what are you doing, Amanocchi!? The title said it’s <Customized Mecha>. Aren’t you going to customize it!?”

“(gulp) …Is this the so-called…sandbagging…?”

Mii-chan continued using words that never come out from a little girl’s mouth.

I ignored their insults and remained focused on the screen.

During this time, -Main-san glared at me as she curled up her lips.

“You’re good, Amako. I like that. Well, I’ll- go with this too.”

She pressed the confirm button without making any changes after saying that.

Aguri-san and Mii-chan immediately began complaining behind us.

“No, customize your mechas, you two!”

Their complaint couldn’t be more reasonable.

Main-san started laughing. After I saw her, I gave up and turned back to explain.

“Uh, according to the setting, whoever won 2 matches first gains victory in this game. So, we’ll have 3 matches at most. So, the two of us will customize it in the next round…”

Just as I’m trying to smooth things over, Main-san said something unnecessary.

“3? No, no, if I’m playing 2 wins in 3 games against Amako, there’ll only be 2 matches at most.”

Main-san smiled ferociously after saying that.

…Sheesh, this person is still the same. I would’ve freaked out and started shivering in the past. However, it looks like I won’t be afraid of someone once I identify him/her as an enemy.

I looked at the screen again and said this calmly.

“Well, this can be interpreted as I’ll win twice in a row.”

“Oh, Amako can joke around as well, even though it’s boring.”

“…………”

It looks like the two behind me are really scared to taunt Main-san. They remained speechless, not even trying to cheer around.

The TV showed the battleground selection screen.

“You want to choose one, Amako?”

“No, let’s go random- even though I want to say that, this is a rare basic mecha duel. Why don’t we just go with the simple and plain ‘Default’ battleground?”

“Okay. But, are you sure, Amako?”

“Hmm? What do you mean?”

The selection is finished, and the screen is finally turned to the battle phase. The TV is playing the introduction of the course. Main-san showed me a provocative smile.

“If we’re going with the default mecha and course, …our skill difference will be revealed entirely in the first battle?”

“…Oh, yes. Indeed, this is the worst option when the enemy’s better. There’s no counter between mechas, and the victory completely depends on the player’s control. In other words, this condition doesn’t allow a low-skilled player to win.”

The countdown started on the screen already.

“Oh, you’re still going despite knowing that. You’re quite manly, Amako.”

Main-san whistled like she just changed her mind towards me.

“No, no, that’s not the case.” I smiled bitterly and answered her.

“I’m just-“

The countdown is over, and the match started-

“-I’m just better than you at this game.”

-I flashed a lightspeed combo and chipped away 1/3 of Main-san’s HP.

“----“

It’s only been one second since the match started.

Main-san’s mecha fell to the ground and entered the invincibility period. At the same time, I immediately distanced myself away with an impressive jump and propel control.

“…Hey.”

Main-san licked her lips next to me as her aura slowly switched towards “beast” mode. …It looks like she was completely triggered.

At this moment, Aguri-san can’t hide her questions anymore behind me.

“Uh, that combo just then was from Amanocchi, not Main-san?”

“…Yes.”

After I answered her in short, I dodged Main-san’s attacks after she stood up.

Then, when there’s a window in the battle, I decided to answer her upcoming question first.

“I’m pretty good at this game.”

“Good, …you?”

“Yes, me.”

I caught a break in Main-san’s control as I said that. I started damaging her little by little with my secondary weapon.

“…Ha, don’t be so cheap, Amako. …Sure. I feel good.”

Main-san licked her lips as she let out excited moans that’s pretty easy for others to misunderstand. Even though I already gave up being polite to her, I still can’t help but shiver.

I continued explaining to Aguri-san to eradicate this weird atmosphere.

“This is no talent. It’s just that…even for a guy like me, if I play this game every day with my little brother for 3 years, this level can be reached.”

“Playing the same game every day for 3 years…”

Aguri-san is shocked. I beautifully slipped through Main-san’s violent attacks as I continued.

“Kousei and I didn’t fight each other during training. We’re just…”

“Just?”

Facing Aguri-san’s question, I- even though I'm in such a fierce battle, I can’t help but smile.

“It’s just that I feel the happiest when the two of us are playing this game. That’s all.”

After that, my attacks hit Main-san’s mecha repeatedly. Once I snapped out of it, her HP is already at 20%. In comparison, I haven’t even taken a scratch.

Aguri-san and Mii-chan held their breaths as their eyes locked onto the screen. I bet they are not listening to me at all.

However, even so, I switched my mood and continued.

“So, I’m not saying that I’m the best in the world of this game…”

I continued locking down Main-san’s movement with my secondary weapon. So, I created a situation where she can’t dodge at all. Also-

“…However, if I’m fighting against an empty-brained hardcore player that thinks she’s the top when she barely played it, -I don’t think I’ll lose.”

-I launched a repeated strike at her with my main weapon.

“…………”

The room is filled with an overwhelming silence.

The screen is showing…something that no one other than me can imagine.

It’s Keita Amano’s perfect game.

It’s Main Fushiguro’s absolute defeat.

The situation that my familiars can’t imagine is right here.

At this point, the screen returned to the mecha customization screen. When the game BGM is already playing in my brain subconsciously, my rival, who has been silent -Main-san, finally spoke.

“…You’re good, Amako.”

“…Thanks.”

I didn’t brag about my victory. Instead, I quickly started choosing parts for the second battle.

“…?”

Even though I just got a miraculous giant-killing, I wasn’t too excited. …Everyone around is dumbfounded by my calm attitude.

However, to me, this calm attitude of mine is guaranteed.

(I was already confident with my first win after I baited Main-san into a basic mecha fight. However, the real problem…is after this.)

Although I just talked about my 3 years’ worth of training, on the other hand, to Main-san, …the value of “one battle” to a genius hardcore player can’t be underestimated.

I don’t even need to list Mizumi-kun as an example. This type of person’s learning speed far exceeds filthy casuals like Kousei and me.

In reality, the same goes for the first battle as well. …Even though it’s my perfect game, in the end, she could turn the entire thing around if I made a single mistake. -This type of hostility is the most apparent at the final game.

…I don’t need to care about what happens next.

Even though it’s embarrassing for me to say this, a plain guy like me doesn’t have the protagonist’s “getting stronger in battle” skill.

So, my power is static. As for Main-san, her skill is growing at an alarming rate.

This way, there’s only one tactic that I can use.

-I have to win before this genius catches up to a normal brothers’ “3 years.”

“I SEE. It looks like you weren’t just fooling around when you said you’ll win twice.”

Main-san started choosing her mecha as well. I feel like she already exposed all of my strategies from her mumble.

“It’s more like there’s no way for you to win aside from this, right, Amako.”

“…Who knows.”

Although I answered her emotionlessly, her accusation is way too accurate.

This is the same logic as a race where a regular car started far ahead of an F1 race car. Even though you had the lead first, the race is already over once the F1 overtakes you. It’s because it can’t be reverted anymore.

From this meaning, this duel- the next second match is the most formidable challenge. Everything is decided on whether I can make it through.

“…………”

This time, it’s completely different from the default mecha battle. We carefully assembled the body and parts.

The assembly is basically two people split between the top and bottom screen. So, you can choose a more effective strategy based on the opponent’s build.

However, the same thing goes for your enemy as well. At least, from my little brother and my experience, if we spend too much time calculating at this part, in the end, we can’t finish assembling before the time ends. The resulting match will be horrid.

Well, …I only have one strategy for building my mecha.

“Hoho, a mecha leaning toward mobility with a sniper, right. Your meta build is quite interesting, Amako. But, are you sure about it? I admit that this weapon and mecha are relatively easy to use. However, it’s too far-fetched to call it a strong weapon and part, right?”

“…It’s fine. This suits me.”

“I see. Well, whatever.”

After that, Main-san started assembling her’s around the first-class equipment. …A bunch of hardcore players in this world will avoid using a strong character. It looks like this person isn’t that type. She doesn’t care whether it’s unbalanced or a bug. As long as it gets her “up,” she’ll do it. This is also a respectable and thorough tactic, …if she’s not my enemy.

(Even though I already anticipated this, …this person is indeed scary.)

Of course, a mecha like this is a monster filled with overpowered parts. The design is entirely different than my basic build that emphasizes mobility and ease of control.

The customization stage is over. We entered the battleground selection screen. -Right here.

“Oh, which one do you want this time, Amako?”

“Let’s see. Well, let’s go with random for fairness.”

“Okay.”

Main-san chose random after saying that. After that, the system’s short selection screen was over. The course is…

“A sports arena…”

“How regrettable, Amako. This course is filled with obstacles.”

I made a subtle reaction while Main-san looked at me compassionately.

Then, I explained the situation to the two behind.

“My sniper rifle is a weapon that shoots the enemy in a straight line from afar. So, it’s going to be tough in an environment filled with obstacles or covers…”

“…Crap.”

Aguri-san said this regrettably. After that, Mii-chan asked next to her.

“What about Mom’s weapon?”

“Oh, my weapon is <Beelzebub’s Gun>.”

“It sounds strong, and the name matches with Mom as well!”

“Let’s ignore why it matches with me first. In reality, this is one of the strong weapons in this game. A swarm of <Fly Bullets> will be fired in a shotgun-like wave. Although the speed is a bit slow, it has a homing ability. That’s all.”

“Ohh! Such wretched style suits Mom as well!”

“…Mii. You’re getting the ‘belly button tickling’ punishment tonight.”

“Huh! B-B…belly…t…tickling, …ah.”

For some reason, Mii-chan’s face turned pale and immediately darkened. …B-Belly button tickling, what the hell is… Even though this is unrelated to the match at all, I can’t let it go. Tickling the belly button…

…N-No, now’s not the time for this.

The battleground selection screen is over. Finally, the countdown of the match started.

“…………”

Suddenly, the once relaxed atmosphere disappeared. All of us entered the game world, and two players’ expressions even vanished.

…This is different than the first round. It’s just not me. Main-san’s going serious all-out mode right away as well.

As the number on the countdown reduced, my mind slowly dived into the deep end.

After that, -the match started.

“…………”

Both of us nearly finished adjusting our mecha’s mode at the same time. Then, we dashed towards each other with fast propulsion. We’re facing each other at the center of the course. Simultaneously, we raised our guns to each other. Then-

-The two of us didn’t fire anything as we touched each other by the shoulder.

“Eh, why…?”

The audience Mii-chan got a reasonable question. Then, Aguri-san’s the one to answer her even though she’s not familiar with games.

“Although I don’t really understand either, …I feel like it’s that, right? Whoever fired first will lose, right?”

“R-Really. It feels like a professional sports team competition.”

“Hmm, it’s actually like that, right? Look, isn’t there a thing that calls games a sport, well. Uh, what was that again? E…e…”

“…………”

“…E, …uh. ….Whatever.”

“E-sports!”

Main-san and I impatiently yelled as we fought each other. “Oh.” Aguri-san seems to have understood and clapped her hands.

“Yeah, it’s close.”

“No, it’s not close. This is the correct answer!”

“Really? …By the way, you two can really talk while having such a fierce battle.”

“We didn’t say it because we wanted to!”

Main-san and I are getting incredibly frustrated as we continue attacking back-and-forth. …Damn, whether we’re seriously fighting or not, as long as someone’s not getting the gamer jargons properly, we can’t help but interrupt. This is the pathetic side of gamers.

Aguri-san looked at the two of us and sighed.

“Come to think of it, you two do look like a pair of good friends enjoying gaming together-“

“Ha!?”

“-No. I’m sorry. I’m getting too full of myself. Please let me apologize.”

In the end, our extremely annoyed aura exploded on Aguri-san’s face. She freaked out and immediately apologized before shutting up.

Our ferocious attack-and-defend situation came to an end. Then, when I caught a break as we distanced ourselves, I can’t help but complain.

“Sheesh, who do you think I’m fighting for…”

Just as I’m negging about it, Main-san…said this with an unprecedented gentle voice that I’ve never heard before.

“Agu’s surely blessed. She can be- loved by a weak idiot like you.”

“…Big talk from a person that lost once to a weak idiot.”

“Ho, you’re right.”

“…………”

On the surface, I still replied to her arrogantly. -In reality, I was a bit moved inside a corner of my heart.

(What just…happened? …Although she’s still despising me, …well…)

I feel like her voice has a warmth of humanity- love inside.

“…………”

I tried to give myself time to think. So, I dragged her feet with my secondary weapon and explosives from afar as I thought about who Main Fushiguro really is.

(Let’s forget how she did it first. Is she trying to use her way to consider Aguri-san’s love?)

In other words, …she’s not robbing a relative’s ownership because of her violent attitude?

I slipped off for a moment. However, I threw this out of my mind immediately.

(No, even if that’s the case, Aguri-san’s still really sheepish these days. Also, there’s her reaction when she took her Labears away. Right now, she’s clearly making Aguri-san suffer. This is an undeniable fact.)

-It’s already a reason for me to fight with that reason alone.

So, I shouldn’t distract myself and focus on the match right now.

I made up my mind and continued chipping away Main-san’s HP little by little with my refined attacks-

“Got you.”

“!?”

-However, I suddenly took a massive blow from Main-san and fell onto the ground. I immediately stood up and distanced ourselves with the invincibility frame.

Main-san laughed out loud and mumbled.

“It’s getting interesting, right, Amako?”

“…No, unfortunately, I’m a guy that loves to be invincible in front of weak enemies.”

“Ha, you sure feel like a pawn. It’s more interesting when you go around.”

“This is all because of- thanks!”

After I said that, I greeted her with a wave of bullets from my main and secondary weapon. However, Main-san clutched it through and took a couple hits only. Her controls are already the same as when my little brother and I are playing these days.

(…Damn, she’s already getting the hang of it…!)

Her unbelievable learning speed sent chills down my spine. Right now, Main-san’s mecha still has 60% HP remaining. It looks like it’s already pretty difficult to corner her before she overtakes me.

However, the one thing I can do didn’t change. I need to use the experience of battling against Kousei and acclimate the damage solidly and refinedly. The dumbest thing I can do is to get nervous and make a massive attack. My opponent won’t let this chance go.

“…………”

The attacks between Main-san and I are already reaching the climax. Both of us don’t have the time to speak.

When Aguri-san and Mii-chan are holding their breaths from behind, our HPs are slowly decreasing as we move closer to victory.

Main-san still has 50%. I have 70%

Main-san still has 40%. I have 50%

Main-san still has 30%. I have- 30%.

(Crap, …she’s chasing after me way too quickly!)

This is just not just a simple “fast learning speed” issue. It’s like she’s using a different person’s control every second.

The 3 years between Kousei and I were devastated within seconds. …I’m about to collapse.

However, there’s no way for me to back down here. I can’t let her win the second round.

“…AHHH!”

I’m already so immersed in the game that I yelled to cheer myself up. You can say that it’s my first time since I treat games as entertainment. The desire for victory is already overflowing crazily inside my chest. Perhaps it’s thanks to this. I’m at the peak of my game today. I tried my best to resist Main-san’s chase.

Main-san still has 20%. I have 20%

“Nice, Amako! You’re incredible!”

Main-san yelled cheerfully during this intense battle. It’s a match between a lonely guy trying his hardest and a woman enjoying the game with a cheerful face. I don’t even know who’s the hardcore player here.

Main-san still has 10%. I have 10%

It’s already a “one-hit” battle at this point. You lose after taking a hit, whether from the main or secondary weapon.

I used 3 years while Main-san used 2 battles. It’s not just our own mecha’s capabilities. She even grasped the opponent’s ability and the course mechanics entirely.

You can’t win with luck in times like this. It’s simply- the stronger side will win.

However-

“Ugh…!”

-During this time, Main-san’s controls advanced another level again. This can only be pulled off by someone who knows all of the top-tier parts’ abilities. In other words, it’s the limit of this game.

As for my default mecha, the defeat awaits even if my inner power has awoken to her level.

“Amanocchi…!”

Main-san’s “planning” for her last hit with her secondary weapon. It’s slowly cutting off my escape. All I can do is to prevent myself from dying accidentally and try to escape.

However, this is futile resistance no matter in who’s eyes.

The atmosphere is slowly getting heavier.

Then, -the last moment is here.

“It’s over, Amako. I enjoyed this.”

After cutting off all of my escape routes and pointed the gun at me, Main-san said this in satisfaction. Just as she’s about to press the trigger, -however.

“-!?”

She can feel a sense of danger from me as she suddenly tries to switch controls.

However, I’m not letting this opportunity go away. I inputted the commands as fast as possible, and I yelled at the top of my lungs.

“TOO LATE!”

“!”

-At the next moment, Main-san’s bullet- disappeared.

This is my final trick up my sleeve that can’t really be called one.

I’m afraid that only Kousei and I know in this world -the miraculous <Disappearing Bullet Bug> that can only occur with an extremely low probability.

The attack that’s supposed to go off from the main weapon will vanish, and only the defenseless mecha remains.

I guess this strategy is banned in official rules.

However, for today’s victory, -I’m using it even if it’s a bug!

“You…!”

Main-san switched from her attacks and showed me her defenseless mecha.

However, -on the other side, I can’t act immediately as well. It’s because this bug can only be triggered when both of us are in low HP, super close to each other, and using that particular main weapon.

So, to trigger this bug, I attacked with my main weapon in the wrong direction. -I’m also at my stunned time too.

In other words, this competition’s result is already pretty simple.

-Whoever presses the trigger first after the stun is over wins.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“HEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

The screams of Main-san and I are echoing around the room as we pressed the attack button ferociously!

The button, the tip of my finger, my arm, and my shoulder- no, my entire body is about collapse. Main-san and I are fighting with each other wholeheartedly.

The muscles on my hands are screaming painfully.

It’s already an understatement to call this a duel. -This is a real deathmatch.

Then, at the end of the finale, the one that’s deciding the result of this extreme battle-

“GOOOOOOOO! AMANOCCHI! AHHHHHHHHH!”

-The young girl is the main heroine of this story. She’s praying and screaming at the same time.



*

“…………”

The after-school 2F classroom is enveloped in an overwhelming silence.

-During this time, I suddenly realized…it’s not just the Game Hobby Club members here. 7 classmates that are unrelated to the story at all came into the room. They are awaiting my last weekend’s story while gulping heavily. …Uh, what’s happening?

Facing my confusion, one of the girls cheered out loud and asked me with a slightly nervous and shivering voice.

“…T-Then? What happened to Amano-kun and Aguri-san afterward…?”

“Uh, well, who are you…?”

“I’m Nishimura. I’m in the same class as you.”

“Oh, okay. I guess so…”

I’ve never talked to you, right?

Amid my confusion, another guy that I’ve never talked to roared in anger.

“This is nothing compared to the ending! The ending! Amako-kun!”

“No, Amako is how Main-san calls me. I’m Amano-“

“Can you speed it up? I still have some stuff to do.”

“No, who the hell are you-“

“Alright, alright, I, the master of rom-com, already have the answer. …It should be kissing next, right!”

“Kya!”

“That’s why I’m asking where the hell did you guys come from!?”

“MOVE ON!”

“Ugh…!”

Ignoring my complaint, Uehara-kun, Tendou-san, Chiaki, and the classmates, 10 people in total, are giving me some intense stress.

After I accepted everyone’s passionate look, I took a couple deep breaths and made up my mind.

Aguri-san and I exchanged looks as our faces turned red.

Just as I’m about to reveal the result of this duel that wagered everything-

“Hey, Amako, we’re going shopping.”

-During this time, I suddenly received the demon king’s order, who appeared in front of the classroom, Main Fushiguro-sama. I immediately straightened my back and saluted her!

“Yes, Main-sama! I’m glad to accompany you! (humorous)” [Note: The (humorous) is a tone or “word habit” here. It’s mostly used during the late Edo and early Meiji periods by artists, craftsmen, or playboys. You will see this a lot in the next chapter.]

After I said that, I packed all of my belongings at lightspeed. Then, I just dropped a “bye” to everyone, who all fell speechless. After that, I walked out of the classroom with Main-san- Main-sama. I kept bowing down to her as I smiled humbly and apologized.

“Hehe, I’m so sorry for making you wait for a guy like me, Main-sama. (humorous)”

“…Don’t talk. It’s disgusting. Just shut up and carry my luggage.”

“Hey, sure! I got it!”

I squeezed myself to dirt level as I walked next to her.

So, the Game Hobby Club of today ended successfully as well-

“YOU--- LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT!?”

-Suddenly, a deafening roar or cry from the 2F classroom echoed throughout the entire school.

…………

…Hmm. Uh, well, …what.

Including this pathetic and miserable ending-

This is me, a lonely and twisted gamer, Keita Amano.

…………

I’ll be looking forward to- no, please don’t. I’m really sorry. I’M REALLY SORRY, EVERYONE!



Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment