Saturday, January 16, 2021

Alderamin on the Sky Volume 11 (2 of 5)

 Chapter 2: Each Individual’s Situation

Translator: Skythewood

Editor: Hiiro

The sound of shells hitting the ground came from one km away. As he watched the thick smoke from the aftermath of the shelling, the slightly pudgy youth sighed in awe.

 

「... Woah...」


Besides him, the dark-haired youth and jade-eyed youth were watching the same scene. After observing the shelling, Ikuta put down his telescope and nodded slightly.


「... Hmm, the landing point is within the margin of error. It took a lot of effort, but we have finally reached the stage of deploying this for practical use.」


Ikuta placed his hand on the item before him──  a lump of metal pointing diagonally towards the sky, and said:


「Well then, I will explain this again. This is a Blast Cannon, it uses the 『Dynamic Air』 created by Fire Sprites to launch a powerful suppressive weapon. We are still lagging far behind Kioka, but with the change in policy with Chamille’s coronation, we cut off ties with the Aldera Holy Nation, so the Empire can finally craft these weapons.」


The creation of the Blast Cannons proceeded despite the civil unrest, but it was still a milestone for their military. Ikuta skipped over the problems of crafting them, and moved on to their practical application:


「By the way, this Blast Cannon is on the small side. This is a copy of the Blast Cannons we captured from the ships during the Port Nemong naval battle, so it’s size is designed for usage on ships. Kioka probably has the capability to create larger Blast Cannons. Compared to their largest model, this Blast Cannon will pale in comparison.」


「This Blast Cannon can’t even compare… Just how strong is it? I can’t even imagine.」


「Hmm~ Let’s see… Can you imagine if just one shot can destroy the buildings over there?」


Ikuta said something terrifying nonchalantly. Matthew felt a chill down his back and his shoulders shivered.


「Regrettably, we are limited by technical problems and can’t make such a large model. But there’s no need to despair, since this size is the most suited for use on the battlefield.」


Ikuta said optimistically. Larger Blast Cannons were either fixed defences or transported to the battlefield in pieces to be assembled there. Those big Blast Cannons were definitely powerful, but getting used to the most common sized weapon was the correct procedure.


「First, I want you two to familiarize yourself with its capabilities.」


「This will be the new weapon that will become the king of the battlefield, huh. It’s fundamentally different from Wind Cannons, right?」


「You can think of them as different things. The Blast Cannon uses Dynamic Air, so there are more things you need to be careful of. Preparations, inspections and operations── every step will have to be done with the utmost caution. A new artillery unit needs to be form around troops with Fire Sprite partners.」


I’m working on that right now, Ikuta added. The pudgy youth turned to him as if he just remembered something.


「... I almost forgot, you are the Field Marshal… Let me use this chance to ask, what’s it like looking down at the military from the top? Is the view suddenly different..?」

 

「In a word, it’s very troublesome. The only saving grace is that I have the authority to make adjustments to make things more convenient for me.」


His uninspiring comment made Matthew slump his shoulders. Torway patted his back to cheer him up.


「Back on topic── We talked about how to operate the Blast Cannon, but that’s actually the job of the artillery unit, the commander just needs to grasp the basics. As for that, I will hold a lecture on artillery designed for officers, so make sure to attend it.」


「Unlike you, we won’t skip out on work… Alright then, what exactly do you want us to do? You must have a goal since you got us here ahead of time.」

 

Ikuta nodded and turned to them again and informed them formally.


「Matthew, Torway── currently, your battalions are the most advanced unit in the Empire. Especially the tactics in small units operating separately, no other unit even comes close. This means that the other unit will be using you as reference to gradually improve their troop training and deployment.」


「Oh, now that you mention it, I feel a heavy load on my shoulders...」

 

「... I understand how heavy my responsibility is. So we will become the models in the future── Uwah?」


Torway was saying he had braced himself mentally with a serious face, when Ikuta flicked his forehead. The dark-haired youth grunted then looked at the teary eyed Torway nursing his forehead.


「Don’t make your own conclusion, pretty boy. No one is asking you to take responsibility. What I’m saying is the opposite. If you keep showing a frown on your face, no one will follow you.」


「Huh?」


「Like~I~said, don’t increase the barrier to entry. You possess the most advanced technique, but if you keep giving off a tense air, you will scare away those who want to learn from you, right? Or are you trying to hog the sniping and small independent unit tactics, and keep it as a Remeon exclusive?」


「No── Not at all! I want to impart my skills to as many soldiers as possible...!」


「Then hold on that thought, adopt the appropriate attitude and work hard in spreading this tactic… I said this a long time ago, and will repeat again. A relaxed war is the right way to fight a war. If you are the only one sloughing hard, then we are still far from reaching this goal.」


When he heard that, Torway suddenly realized it. He finally learned that he had caved under the heavy responsibility of the developer of the next generation of tactics, and fell on his bad habits of constrained vision.


「For now, it’s enough for you to relax your brows. Don’t forget even if I’m not around. If I see you revert back to your old ways, I will flick your forehead as many times as it takes.」


Ikuta said as he exert strength on the thumb and middle finger of his left hand. After seeing the jade-eyed youth nodding profusely, he retracted his hand and turned:


「Alright then── I’m returning to the palace.」


「Huh? What are you saying, it’s just 1pm?」


「I know, but I want to keep Chamille company today no matter what. I will leave the rest to you, I’m off then!」


With that, Ikuta left them behind and strode off. Matthew watched dumbfoundedly as he left swiftly with a speed unimaginable for someone who needed a walking stick.


「... That guy is overprotective of Her Majesty.」


「That’s how much he cherishes her. I think that’s a great thing.」


Torway smiled after saying that. Matthew shrugged and muttered 「That’s true~」




At the same time── a tall woman was observing the interaction between the three men.


「... Hey, Patrenshina.」


As she watched her comrades from afar, Haro called the other persona within her. An echo like response came soon after.


──Haro. You have been talking to me a lot recently, you should refrain from doing so.


「......」


── Your consciousness and mine shouldn’t exist in parallel. You are awake when I’m asleep, and you are up and about while I slumber. And the reason for that── we don’t have to say any more, right?


This question made Haro bit her lips hard, and she replied:


「... It’s to protect my heart. To separate me from the crimes you committed, so I can remain unaware… correct?」


── That’s right. However, the rules changed after Ikuta Solork got us. The lines are blurred. Your comrades have accepted you wholeheartedly, and you have a safe haven in the truest sense… That’s why you are directly facing the crimes I have commited all this while.


She warned her of the grave dangers. Haro gasped. Since this came from Patrenshina, she couldn’t take this lightly.


── Everything is done by Patrenshina (me). Are you really going to abandon the system that has protected Haro’s heart all this while? I’m not angry, just scared── afraid that you will crumble from the guilt. The blood staining my hands is enough to destroy you.


Haro clenched her fists when she heard that… Her worries were probably valid. But despite that, Haro wouldn’t hesitate for that reason.


「... It’s fine. I can’t spare the time to crumble.」


Haro said with steel like determination. She was permitted to stay as a member of the 「Knights Corp」, and her comrades would shoulder her sins with her. How should she deal with this fact, and how she should live on── from the moment she failed as a spy, she had been thinking about that.


「So, just the current me isn’t enough.」


──......Haro.


「With your power, I can accomplish more things, correct?」


──Haro!


Sensing the conclusion she was reaching, Patrenshina cut her off firmly. She continued like an elder sister advising her obstinate younger sister:


── Calm down, that’s no good. If you consciously use my power, you won’t have any excuse, and there won’t be any more boundaries. You will step over the line for Haro to continue being a good girl.


「... That’s...!」


── To be frank, I have the fetish of torturing people for fun too. And I have the twisted mentality of finding joy in betraying others. When the line separating you and me disappears, you will become a gleeful murderer too── no matter how you face these crimes in the future, you can’t change the past.


「......!」

 

──All my skills are of this variety; conning, interrogation, torturing techniques── none of it will yield a bright result after usage. Although every skill can shine if used properly, there are techniques that will affect your psyche adversely just from using them. Do you think the people you loved will want you, who wish to be a good girl, be grinded down in such a way?


Haro couldn’t refute her, and fell silent with gritted teeth. She felt helplessness, anxiety, guilt, and the strongest of all, her feelings towards her comrades── Patrenshina tried her best to calmly persuade Haro who was getting unstable because she was tormented by all that.


──Haro, don’t be rash. If you are in danger, I will come out and deal with it. From now on, I will include the members of the Knights Corp as priority protection targets. Our personas are walking on a tightrope right now, we might slip if we got careless, which will lead to a direct breakdown.

 

She was born to protect Haro’s heart, and offered sincere advice. Haro knew she should listen, but the things she followed blindly in the past flashed across her mind, which frustrates Haro to no ends.


「... I...!」




At the same time. In a corner of the palace, an encounter nobody expected was about to play out.


Imperial Guard Captain Lucanti Hargunska’s duties were mainly protecting the Empress and the security within the palace. When her subordinates were guarding Chamille, she would patrol the palace or guide the guards. Right now, she was in the midst of her patrols. When she walked into a corridor, a voice came from an unexpected angle.


「... Good Afternoon.」


「Hmm?」


The female knight backed away with her hand on her hilt. She could see a girl── Third Grade Administrative Officer Vackie was hanging from the ceiling like a bat.


「It’s impossible for humans to stand on the ceiling! Third Grade Administrative Officer Vackie, so you are a demon!」


「Hahaha! I’m glad to see you so surprised, but I’m not such an unscientific existence~!」


Vackie’s feet left the ceiling and she flipped midair before landing── or that was her plan. However, her execution failed at the very first step. She couldn’t move her feet.


「... Hmm? M-My hand can’t reach the secured part… M-My abdomen muscles are...!」


The device she used to stand on the ceiling backfired on her, and the girl couldn’t move. Lucanti watched this queer scene stiffly, then heard a cry from above.


「... I-I can’t get down~ Lulu, save me~」




「── So you just glued your soles onto the ceiling?」


After getting a stepping board from a nearby room to help Vackie get down, Lucanti alternated her gaze between Vackie and the contraption on the ceiling with disappointment on her face.


「How regrettable. In many tales of chivalry, inhuman creatures with no morals are often featured. I thought I finally met one, and got so excited.」


「Oh~ this is embarrassing. If you didn’t pass by, it will be terrible if all the blood rushes into my brain.」


Vackie scratched her head bashfully. She suddenly reached into her white coat and took out a large number of snacks pinched between her fingers.

 

「So, take this as thanks! Don’t hold back, eat up!」


「My deepest thanks. An act of chivalry ask for no rewards though, but I appreciate the sentiment.」


「Then don’t think of it as a gift, and just join me for a snack?」


「I would like to, but I can’t snack while on duty.」


Lucanti forcefully averted her gaze and rejected the temptation. Vackie tossed a snack into her mouth with a face of pity, and was about to say something when──


「── What are you two doing along the palace’s passageway?」


They turned towards the slimy voice, and Lucanti saluted.


「Lord Fox. This humble officer has just received an invitation to snack with Lady Vackie.」


「That retarded answer makes my head hurts. I have told you not to desecrate this holy place with such uncouth behaviour.」


The man said with contempt. The treacherous minister Trisnai Izanma wore a khaki attire of the highest ranking bureaucrat and stood before them. Vackie could guess who he was without asking, and looked at him curiously.


「──I see, so you are the rumoured Trisnai Izanma. You do have a unique style about you.」


「Don’t address someone you just met by their name without honorifics. Who are you?」


「Mairitsuuinvuakkyen Shattouiettanyerushisukattsu. A young woman who was appointed as a Third Grade Administrative Officer last month. I’m still immature, and look forward to your guidance in the future, Chancellor .」


Vackie showed an innocent smile that contrasted with his smile and greeted him. Trisnai wasn’t expecting this lack of hostility, and took a few seconds to find the words to say.


「──Uwah~ What’s going on here?」


Right then, another person joined in the conversation. Coincidentally── Or rather, unluckily, Ikuta Solork came across them in the corridor.


「Hi~Ikuta-nii! You got off work early today, how shameless! Oh, want some snacks?」


Vackie took out snacks from her white coat again. Ikuta took one piece that was shoved right before his eyes and tossed it into his mouth, and then locked gaze with his enemy.


「...Ikuta Sankrei. I just heard something absurd from this person here.」


「If you are talking about this girl getting appointed as an administrative officer, that’s true. I’m the one who arranged it.」


「Yay~ I got a backer! It’s great that he can hire whoever he wants!」


The subject herself said with both hands raised. Trisnai glanced at her, then asked seriously.


「...... Are you of sound mind?」


「............ I’m completely sane.」


Ikuta paused for some time before answering. The fox snorted and then shrug:


「Her Majesty regards you highly, I won’t demand you to stay completely out of the recruitment of personnel. However, this is not a circus or nursery. I expect the Field Marshal of the Empire to know at least this much...」


Ikuta bitterly endured his criticism and look of contempt, and squeezed out a reply with a solemn face.


「... I invite her here because I think she will be of use. Save your evaluation for the future.」


Ikuta understood this appointment was reckless, so he didn’t say anything else. Trisnai shifted his reptile-like gaze from the youth to Vackie.

 

「...Mairitsuuinvuakkyen Shattouiettanyerushisukattsu Third Grade Admin Officer.」


The man said the girl’s name fluently with impeccable pronunciation. This made Vackie stared with her eyes wide, and turned obediently towards him.


「── What is it?」


「Are you a monkey? Or a human?」


His question was incredibly rude. However, Vackie liked the way he didn’t mince his words, and answered with her chest puffed out:


「Good question. There is only one answer── humans are monkeys that have learned to think!」


To her, this was the funniest answer, but the man ignored her. Trisnai looked at the snack crumbs on her mouth with a face of contempt, and reminded her.


「Eating along the corridors is prohibited everywhere in the palace, the same goes for idle chatter. If you claim to be a human and not a monkey, then follow these rules.」


With that, Trisnai turned and left. While walking away, he added:


「I will let this slide this time. However, I have no interest in rearing monkeys. Remember, if your behaviour is unsightly, you will lose your head.」


Trisnai warned sternly and left the three of them behind. The atmosphere was still heavy, but the Scientist girl said with a whistle:


「... Oooh~how showy~ that’s a worthy opponent, Ikuta-nii.」


「......」


「...Ikuta-nii? Ah! That hurts!」

 

The moment Ikuta stood before Vackie, his two index fingers were pressed onto her temples in a drilling motion. He kept drilling as he said to his junior disciple with pent up emotions.


「... Hey~Vackie. That fox suspected me of possessing common sense, an unprecedented experience for me. Do you know how I feel about that? How many words do you need to describe it?」


「That hurts...! ...Ten, ten words!」


「Good, say it.」


「I'm going to find me a hole to hide in!」

 

Kyaa~! After a short pause, the girl’s scream echoed throughout the palace. Whether her answer was right or wrong, the results would have probably been the same.




After running into that unexpected situation when he returned to the palace, Ikuta went to the Empress’ office, who should be done with her morning’s audience.


「──Solork?」


When she saw him, Chamille got up frantically. He was a Field Marshal, and shouldn’t be back at this hour. From the sweat on his brows, he had clearly forced his schedule open to come here.


「Phew── my schedule for the morning is tight, luckily, I made it in time.」


Ikuta said with a smile and approached the girl nonchalantly. Chamille stopped the youth with her words, then walked over to support his shoulder.


「I told you not to push yourself...! Things are different now, you have an old wound on your leg. The meeting today is meant for admin officers, so you don’t have to go out of your way to attend...」


「That won’t do. The fox will be here today.」


The youth answered without hesitation. He combed the girl’s blonde hair gently and continued:


「I saw him just now. I want to forget that as soon as possible, so I won’t mention the details. But he is the same as always.」


「He won’t change just by forcefully sending him to a far off zone for a few months… Even without your leg injury, I don’t want you to face him. Because he is a monster I will dispose of one day.」

 

「My understanding is slightly different from yours on that, but no matter what, he will be attending today’s meeting with you. You should brace yourself.」


「... Yes.」


「It’s complicated because that fox isn’t your political enemy. He claims to be your most avid supporter. He would then use that twisted mentally to trample your heart. I know very well that he has prepared meticulous moves to sculpt you into his ideal monarch.」


The youth ground his teeth loudly. However, he was prepared for this too.


「Will his plan proceed smoothly though? ──Things are different now.」




An hour later, with Chamille and Ikuta in the seat of honour, the cabinet members had all been gathered.


「Greetings, Your Majesty. First, allow me to apologize for my long absence from the post of Chancellor.」


Trisnai bowed respectfully. The Empress glared at him with murderous eyes.


「You got the part where you should apologize for wrong. What troubles me the most is that you have returned.」


「When Your Majesty becomes the perfect ruler, I will do as you please. However── I know you still need my assistance. Don’t worry, no matter how small, as long as I can make a contribution, I will rush to your aid.」


Facing that man’s crack-like smile, Chamille who had not seen something so detestable for sometime felt goosebumps on her back. She told him in disdain.


「... I know you are still an incorrigible madman. I will waste the minimal amount of time on your drivel then. Report, fox.」


With permission to speak, Trisnai acknowledged with his eyes and then said:


「First, the ground inspection mission has been completed. There isn’t much to see in the sparsely populated northern territory, so the two months timeline set by Your Majesty is a waste.


It would be unwise to spend my time idling, so I visited a place farther away. And got to witness a dangerous situation.」


「... Dangerous situation?」


The Empress narrowed her eyes and urged him to continue. The fox paused for a moment, then asked:


「Peace Sect── Have you heard about that organization, Your Majesty?」


The unexpected term made Chamille answer with a frown:


「... An organic group that was formed independently in the Empire during Imperial year 720. It was a closed off group that rejected monetary economics, and subsisted on their own produce and barter trade. But after it absorbed impoverished citizens tormented by heavy taxes, it gradually grew in scale. Many priests agree with their ideology, and because of the church’s support, it took a long time to completely destroy that organization.」


「Your Majesty’s knowledge truly have no bounds.」


Trisnai complimented with a smile. Seeing the girl acting like an outstanding monarch filled the man with joy.


「During my trip, I discovered the emergence of a similar group that is growing with time. And of course, Your Majesty already knows.」


「... I heard wandering citizens are gathering and building villages with their own rules. But it’s too great of a leap to link them to the Peace Sect. Even their scale are no way comparable to the Peace Sect.」


「That might be true when I was observing them, but we can assume they will grow larger with time. We can’t be optimistic about the future either. I’m saying this because the current state of the Empire isn’t as favorable now, compared to the time when the Peace Sect is at their peak.」


「Not favourable? How dare you...!」


Empress poured all her hatred into the glare at the culprit who pushed the Empire into its current dire state. At this moment, Ikuta rests his hand on hers. This calmed the girl down, and she took a few deep breaths.


「... I understand the root of the problem lies with the citizen’s unease and distrust towards the government. The aftermath of the Grand Escape by Aldera devotees also plays a part. If we want to disperse their community, we will need to provide accommodations and jobs to the wandering citizens, however...」


When he heard the Empress’ answer, Trisnai cast his eyes down and shook his head slightly. This was his reaction when he got the answer he was expecting.


「Please don’t raise such a lenient method. Your Majesty, they are criminals.」


「... Criminals?」


「Indeed. They refuse to obey the laws of the Empress, and evade taxes by making up rules to live selfishly── what else can they be but criminals? They aren’t impoverished citizens awaiting salvation, but criminals that must be punished. Living in Imperial territory and ignoring the authority of the Empress, there’s nothing more insolent than that!」


「... So, what are you trying to say?」


The Empress cut him off and got right to the point. Trisnai said the answer with a deep smile.


「Issue an edict to wipe them out, as an example to others.」

 

The cabinet was in an uproar when they heard that. The dark-haired youth who had been quiet all this while beside the Empress raised a hand to stop them.


「... Advising the monarch to massacre her citizens. You have gone too far with your villaintry, fox.」


「You are the shallow one for saying that, Ikuta Sankrei. I’m proposing this even though it pains it. The Peace Sect── is just a gathering of impoverished people in the beginning, a harmless group. However, people who heard about them bolstered their numbers, and the Peace Sect made a critical change. Do you know what it is?」


「The group that is short on provisions gradually turned to banditry, right… When the number of people exceeds what the land can support, the residents in a close off environment won’t be able to sustain themselves. Even without the overpopulation, they can’t get any external support during a crisis. Just one poor harvest will have fatal consequences. When that happens, they have to move away in search of food.」

 

「If you can think this far, then you will agree with my proposal. My opinion is that we should stop the problem before it happens. In the past, many groups harbour mistakened admiration towards the Peace Sect. Because the Church of Aldera value a simple self sufficient life as an ideal. The ministry and army were fooled by such an impression and implicitly condoned their existence, and this led to that group turning to banditry and seriously endanger the surrounding areas. I will ask again, what’s wrong with my opinion of wiping them out preemptively?」


「What I’m trying to say is, there are many available avenues aside from massacre. Provide them with necessities for their livelihood and jobs, reorganizing them into a normal economic system, that’s the duty of the government. Or are you saying we should execute everyone who lost their jobs, and achieve the ideal society with zero unemployment?」


「Providing aid for them to return to society── that’s the right move if the subjects are the unemployed. But you forgot the fact that they are criminals. Scum who take the laws of the nation lightly have no right to receive the good grace of the Empress. Poverty is not an excuse. If they lost their fealty just because of hunger, isn’t that the same as not having fealty in the first place?」


Trisnai remarked without hesitation. Angered by his forceful words, Ikuta clenched his fists.


「... Then, have you ever starved before...?」


The harsh time he spent with his mother in the wilderness flashed across his mind. His memories made the youth squeeze out a quiet voice.


「Have you ever gone without food, and have to shove whatever you can find into your mouth to chew and swallow? When you accidentally eat poisonous herbs or mushrooms, and roll on the ground in pain? Or experienced the fiery pain in your stomach when you are on the verge of starving to death?」


He still remembered the pain as if it was yesterday. Because it was closely related to the tragic death of his mother. Ikuta’s entire body was trembling. There was no end to his rage── that the culprit, who forced him and his mother into such a dire state, taking hunger lightly made him furious.


「There’s no way you can know. Those who know won’t say 『just because of hunger』──!」


「Alright, time out. Stop here for now.」


When Ikuta was getting agitated, the girl who was observing at the far end of the seats cut him off. The youth looked over to find his junior Scientist stopping him with a gaze.


「Calm down, Ikuta-nii, I know how you feel, but the Empress will be hurt by that too.」


When he heard that, he turned to the side and saw the pale profile of the girl in question. Ikuta regretted his foolish words and grit his teeth── The one who would be hurt the most by the words ‘not knowing hunger’ was this girl, why didn’t he realize that?


「... Sorry, Chamille… I’m sorry.」


Ikuta couldn’t do anything except holding her hand and apologizing. Vackie glanced at the two of them, then stood up quietly and said:


「This is probably my job, an outsider who doesn't know her place, to step in here── this is the place to discuss all internal governance affairs, not for you to settle your personal grudges. Am I wrong?」


What he said made all the cabinet members open their eyes wide. Spouting something so grandiosely in such a situation was one of her good points.


「In that case, I hope everyone can differentiate between upstanding character and the value of an opinion. That’s a good idea, but we won’t adopt it since it’s that guy who proposed it; that’s a terrible idea, but we will take it since it’s this person who said it── if the merit of an idea is tied to a person’s character, then the discourse will just be a joke. It will just increase the grudge towards both parties, and not progress the agenda at all, isn’t that a waste of time for everyone here?」


Vackie did not directly interfere with the quagmire of the courts. And that was why she was looking at everyone with cruel equality. The girl told everyone without any reservations.


「With that in mind, the comment of an irregular like me is── both options are equally feasible.」


「「────!」」


「Considering the risk of them turning to banditry and the issue of the law, punishing them is possible; the other option is turning to the spirit of social welfare, pushing the group to disband and return to society, which is also a viable option. Both are based on concrete rationale and predictable results. If we opt to punish them, we will probably need to make adjustments during the execution phase. We don’t need to punish too many people to have the effect of making an example out of them.」


Vackie wasn’t biased towards either side, and judged that both methods were equally feasible. She showed her impartiality as a Scientist, and turned to Trisnai seated near the seat of honour:


「But, Lord Chancellor. Before discussing the methods to use, why aren’t we confirming the most important thing?」


「......?」


「Like I said, this is the Katjvarna Empire, a country under Imperial rule. Instead of the pros and cons, the most important thing in deciding policies is the will of the Empress, right?」


Vackie said before turning to the pale faced Chamille and asked:


「Well, Your Majesty, do you want to punish the people who caused these problems? Or save them?」


「────」


「Their opinions are based on this core difference. Both policies are seeking to better the nation. The only difference is to punish or save the subjects in question. What do you wish for?」


「... I-I...」


Chamille, whose mind is a mess because of the earlier argument, couldn't answer immediately. She wanted to shake her head to clear her mind when Vackie stopped her.


「Wait, don’t think. You are smart, so with time, you will get drawn into logic. You don’t need that right now.」


「── Huh──?」


「I’m not asking who is right, but which method you want to adopt. Use your instincts to answer within three seconds.」


Vackie stared right at her, and the Empress gasped. Not giving her time to compose herself, Vackie started counting down.


「And start. Three, two, one──」


「── S-Save them.」


She said the answer so smoothly that even Chamille herself was surprised. The notorious tyrant Empress expressed her views honestly. The cabinet members were all dumbstruck.


When she heard that answer, the Scientist girl grinned── smiling like a sunflower in full bloom, then slammed her palms on the table.


「── Did you hear that!? That’s how the Empress truly feels!」


Vackie shouted down all the cabinet members, and continued with shining eyes.


「She wants to save the suffering citizens! Do not doubt the Empress who stated her true feelings! We have to formulate specific measures to realize Her Majesty’s will! That’s the reason why the cabinet exist!」


She raised an extremist point without any reservation. And the cabinet members remembered when they heard that── the monarch would set the course, and the vassals should do everything they could to achieve that goal. This was the natural relationship between the monarch and her vassals that the Empire had long forgotten.



「Since everyone understands, let’s continue our discussions. Thanks to the Empress, the problem is how to save those people. This discussion is much simpler than before, right?」


Vackie puffed her chest out after saying that. Silence loomed over the officials struggling quietly── a short while later, one of them raised his hand and said:


「... The group in the problematic village are probably tired of being lowly paid sharecropper. Their treatment varies from place to place, but from what I know, there are many farms who employ sharecroppers at a low salary and treat them harshly. Can we use that as our starting point...?」


Everyone’s gazes fell on that speaker. Soon, a second person passed through the slightly lowered bar to take action, and spoke.


「Indeed, the lowly status of sharecroppers have been an issue since ancient times. They are forced into labour to erk out a living, and their life is no different from farm slaves… There are provincial laws on minimum wages, but it doesn’t change with inflation, and there are many loopholes preventing it from being effective.」


「Before Empress Chamille’s reign, there were many instances of farms bribing inspectors and colluding. However, thanks to the strict changes made by Her Majesty, the number of corrupt officials have fallen drastically. If we want to improve their working conditions, isn’t this a great opportunity?」


「We will need to revamp the labour union too then. If we let such corruption slide just one time and relaxed our surveillance, these vile acts will happen again. To avoid that, we have to establish a system where each parties can watch over each other──」


The first comment started the ball rolling, and the cabinet members started raising concrete proposals. Chamille watched blankly as they started a passionate debate. The admin officers’ intense fear of the Empress faded, and they started showing new life. They could feel the joy of fulfilling their role as admin officers, as a part of the government as as a vassal.


That’s right, they were happy. I want to save the citizens── They were happy to hear the Empress express a righteous view for a monarch. They were happy to serve such a ruler, who was a role model for them.




After the meeting ended. As the Scientist girl headed down the passageway to her next job destination, someone called out to her:


「...Vackie.」


She turned to find the dark-haired youth and Chamille standing side by side. Vackie approached them with a refreshing smile.


「Yes, what is it, Chamille? You forgot to say something at the meeting?」


The Empress thought about what to say, and opened her mouth quietly:


「I want to thank you… but I couldn’t express myself properly. You have been a great help to me at the meeting.」


She shelved away her complicated feelings and simply offered her thanks. After hearing that, Vackie abruptly changed the topic.


「Chamille, have you heard about the tale of 『Nation of Hundred Sages』?」


「...? No, I haven’t.」


「Let me tell you then── A long, long time ago, a hundred sages gathered to create their ideal nation. They were all intellectual with a wide breadth of knowledge. With so many smart people, they can definitely create the best country ever── the sages firmly believed this, and set to work founding the nation.」


Vackie said smoothly and Chamille listened puzzledly. However, she didn’t expect the next sentence.


「But the nation didn’t even last a decade.」


「── Huh?」


「Because their discussions take too long. Everyone was proud of the depth of their knowledge, and refused to back down from their views. It was impossible to decide which one of their many proposals were the best, and the problems were often turned moot during the course of their debates. For example, a war would have ended before they could decide whether to send reinforcements to a neighbouring country.」


Vackie shrugged. The Empress supported her chin with her hand, then answered after thinking about it.


「... It’s in poor taste to find problems with fables, but the real sage is the person who can solve this problem. In a gathering of people, there would definitely be a clash of opinions. If they want to solve this problem, they can just rank the authority of these one hundred people── Or rather, a nation would normally adopt such a method before its demise. If not, they wouldn’t be sages, but fools.」


「Yes, that’s correct. All one hundred sages having equal standing the entire time is not realistic. However, the settings of a fable are just a matter of convenience. It’s also the author’s earlier works, so don’t pick on it too much──」


The girl scratched her cheek bashfully. Chamille suspect that Vackie made up that story, but Vackie said before Chamille could mention it:


「──Anyway, the morale of the story is; ‘making a decision’ is sometimes more important than ‘what is decided’.」


「Hmm.」


「’Nation of Hundred Sages’ is a work of fiction, but there are countries in the past founded in similar fashion. The members gathered at a round circle, and the content of the discussion will be reflected in their simple city. In a sense, this is primitive community governance. But in most cases, this simplicity will be lost when the organization grows larger, and a person with authority will take their place. Do you know why?」


「... This isn’t just a warning against delusions of grandeur, right?」


「Well, ambitions are just personal things when you just think about it. Only with the support of many people will the path to authority be opened. Why will people support those with ambitions? In other words, why are they handing over their power to choose to others?」


When she heard the topic she was hinting at, Chamille fell into deep thought. The Scientist girl revealed the answer soon after.


「There are a few possible answers, and for me, it’s because humans are creature who fear making decisions, but are even more afraid of not making any decisions.」


The two seemingly contradictory reasons made the Empress stare right at her. Vackie opened a hand, and pushed her fist into the centre of her palm..


「For example── we can fight just like last time. You can punch, kick or slap me, or take the defensive and wait for an opening. In the worst case, you can admit your loss to avoid getting hit. However──」


Vackie stopped and pushed her fist close to the Empress’ chest.


「── If you don’t do anything, you will just get pummeled one sidedly. That’s what not making any decisions mean, there are rarely results worse than not taking action. Which means making the best choice is a secondary consideration, the most important thing is to make a decision. This is obvious on a personal level, and when it comes to a group, I’m not joking when I say it’s normal for people to just idle around until the end. That’s how difficult it is to organize opinions and evaluate them. There are some who even think that authority and hierarchy are made for the sake of solving this difficult problem.」


Chamille crossed her arms in deep thought when she heard that string of logic. Finding her serious attitude to her liking, the Scientist girl continued:


「It’s not good to say this before the subject herself, but for the question 『What is an Empress?』, the answer of us Scientists is 『The Highest level Decision Maker』. Results aside, the most important function of the Empress is to 『make difficult decisions』. Be they wise rulers, despots or tyrants, this is the only duty they need to perform.」


Vackie gave her views which struck deep into Chamille’s heart. Chamille thought about what she had done as a monarch so far, then asked meekly.


「... You are saying that I haven’t met the minimum condition?」


「No, you did. Like I said before, Chamille-chan is supercool. Staying still when forced to make a decision isn’t like you at all.」


Vackie shook her head to dispel her worries, then cut into the heart of the problem.


「What I’m saying is, in cases where you can’t see the correct answer, don’t hesitate and go with your true feelings.」


「──」


「That will do. It will be troublesome if it isn’t so. The system is supposed to work based on how you feel about things. If you suppress your feelings, that would be putting the cart in front of the horse.」


The Scientist girl cautioned with a serious face. When the Empress heard that, she stood stiffly in place── she then hung her head with trembling shoulders.


「... You are only saying that because you don’t understand how I feel.」


The deep cold voice came out of the girl’s mouth, as if by reflex. Your feelings, emotions, and soul── Chamille was sure all that were the ugliest in the world.


「Just follow my heart? Do you know what I── I’m hoping for? You have not known me for long, so how do you know what murky filth swirls in my mind!」


「Yes, I don’t know. But I don’t plan to stay ignorant forever.」


Vackie stared right into Chamille’s eyes and answered without backing an inch. Facing Chamille who had no words, she took another step forward.


「I can promise you this. If you harbour an incorrigible and wrong wish, then it doesn’t matter how the establishment might be, both Ikuta-nii and I will stop you. Because that means your soul is ill. Healing your sickness is the most direct way to make your soul honest.」


Vackie grab her shoulders with both hands, and said to her with a firm voice:


「Chamille, I’m a strong dose of medicine. This treatment will be painful, and at times make you feel that your throat is on fire── Even so, I’m still here to heal your soul.」


Chamille gaze locked with those black eyes, unable to say anything. Then she realized── all this while, the Scientist girl had always shown her kindness. When she gets angry, it’s targeted at Chamille’s self-deprecating words.


Feeling the existence of each other from a close distance, the two girls faced each other for some time── before Vackie pulled away with a blush.


「... Oh, it’s starting to feel embarrassing. I will say my piece, leave Ikuta-nii to clean up the mess, then make my exit in a cool manner! Ahaha~!」


The girl laughed loudly as if she was concealing something, then turned and ran down the corridor. When she disappeared around the corner, Chamille said quietly.


「.. Solork...」


「...Yes.」


「... I don’t understand. How should I treat her from now on?」


The girl muttered with a baffled face. The dark-haired youth gently held her shoulder.


「Just treat her the same as always. Retaliate when you are angry and chat with her if you want to. You don’t need to think too much when interacting with people around your age.」


Ikuta watched the spot where his junior disciple disappeared and said with certainty:


「However── she really likes you. I’m sure of that.」




After becoming Field Marshal, Ikuta had to handle tons of problems. Including the choice of his adjutant, most of it were problems with human resources. Since the army was a group made up by people, the allocation of people would determine the nature of the organization.


「So, big brother, it’s about time we made up.」


「Are you serious about making up, you jerk!」


His roar echoed under the blue sky. In order to get a feel of the sentiments on the ground, Ikuta visited the closest field exercise location, where Major Sarihasrag Remeon was training his troops. He was definitely the one who hate Ikuta Solork the most in the entire military. However, the youth’s policy is to ‘solve the problem in the most obvious way.’


「Stay calm, big brother. He is the Field Marshal, you should maintain the minimum level of etiquettes when speaking with him.」


「...! You are right.」


On the advice of his younger brother, Sariha reluctantly evened his temper. Ikuta reflected on what happened too. When facing him, Ikuta’s mind treaded reflexingly towards agitating him.


「No, it’s my bad. I’m not here to pick a fight, but to thank you for two years ago.」


「... Thank me?」


「That’s right. Towards the end of the military coup, you accepted our request to send reinforcements. Given the circumstances back then, it was a difficult decision… Thank you very much!」


Ikuta bowed deeply with gratitude. The eldest Remeon son averted his eyes with a conflicted expression.


「... You have no reason to thank me, we didn’t make it in time.」


「......」


「Anyway, the Remeon faction is the one who started the coup, and Dafuma province is still hostile towards us… And the coup is why Yatorishino died, shouldn’t you bear a grudge against us instead?」


Sariha showed a bitter face. Ikuta shook his head quietly:


「Not at all. The Remeon faction had good reason to rise up in arms… Just like how I reassembled the Rising Sun Regiment, I understand your faction had no choice.」


Ikuta switched his walking stick to his left hand, and offered his right hand. That hand made the eldest Remeon son reel back in surprise.


「Let’s wipe off all our grudge with that… The army that had fractured into three will join together again. We are all brothers in arms of the Imperial army, Major Sarihasrag Remeon.」


Ikuta said as he looked right into his eyes. Sariha looked to Sushuraf beside him, and his buff brother nodded silently. With his blessing, the eldest Remeon son reluctantly shook that hand.


「... Alright then. I will acknowledge that my younger brother had been in your care.」


「You got it backwards, I have been relying on Torway all this while.」


Ikuta smiled, and Sariha retracted his hand with a grunt.


「Alright then── so what’s your main goal, Field Marshal Sir? You came all the way here because you have a problem with our training?」


「Since you notice, this will be quick. To be frank, training separately lacks efficiency, so link up with my unit.」


The youth announced, and Sariha’s face darkened.


「You are telling me to train together with Toruru and that Tetzirich brat...?」

 

「I know your feelings are against this, but for your unit, this is the quickest way to improve your small unit operations. While we are speaking, Kioka’s tactics are evolving and optimizing too. If we are wasteful in our training methods, then we won’t be able to match Kioka’s speed of advancement.」


The youth’s persuasion made Sariha show an enlightened face, but he couldn’t accept this so easily. When Sushuraf saw that, he slowly said:


「Understood, we will make the arrangements. Have you spoken to Toruru yet, Field Marshal Sir?」


「Sushuraf?」


Sariha turned around with his eyes wide open. The man who was known for his loyalty to his elder brother stepped out of his comfort zone and said:


「Big brother, if we are going to be soldiers, then this will be inevitable. We have to learn from Toruru, who have made great strides in military tactics. Since this is an obvious truth, then delaying any further would just be a waste of time.」


「...! B-But...!」


「I have learned that aside from supporting you, I have to push you too… Staying stagnant won’t help things, so let’s move forward together, big brother.」


Ikuta watched the long stable sibling relationship changing with his eyes wide open. With no other options, the eldest Remeon son squatted down with his fist clenched:


「... Damn it! Even you are saying things that old hag Lucika would say...!」


Sariha cursed. The name of their teacher made Sushuraf cast his gaze down quietly.


「... Big brother, Ms Kursk won’t ever admonish us again.」


These words weighed heavily on the Remeon brothers… Ikuta stayed silently by their side until Sariha quietly unclenched his fist a few minutes later.




「── How do I put this… Seeing them made me realized how much things has changed while I was holing up in the harem!」


Ikuta returned to base after speaking with the Remeon brothers, then sneaked into the junior officers mess to have lunch with Suya. When he stopped momentarily, she said:


「This is to be expected. Even if you, the regimental commander, aren't here, everyone still has to live on. Don’t be so narcissistic to assume that the world will only move because of you.」


「Yes, you are absolutely right… And regimental commander sounds awesome too. When people call me Field Marshal Sir, I would wonder for a moment who they are referring to.」


「The Rising Sun Regiment has not been disbanded, right? Then you are still a regimental commander. You seems to dislike others addressing you by your rank, so I will call you that then.」


Suya said coldly and chewed a piece of naan she had torn off. She swallowed and glared at the youth.

<TL: The raw says pancake, but the story takes place in fantasy India.>


「Oh right── I heard you are looking for an adjutant?」


「Guuh!」


Ikuta was caught off guard and almost choked on the chicken in his mouth. Seeing him pat his chest and reach for his beverage, Suya continued with a calm passion.


「What about me?」


The dark-haired youth took a sip of tea and managed to reply:


「... If it’s five years, no, three years later, I will do that. But you are sorely lacking in experience right now. Your capabilities aren’t on the level of a field-grade officer yet──」


「I know. I was just talking in jest.」


Suya cut him off firmly. Feeling an ever increasing pressure from her, Ikuta waited fearfully for her next words.


「But don’t forget. I still think of myself as your adjutant. I will definitely take that position three years later.」


Suya stood up with a firm declaration, then turned and left. The youth chased after her.


「Ah, wait, Suya──?」


Before he could put his hand on Suya’s shoulder, she turned and swept his legs── and caught him firmly before he hit the ground.


The mess was in an uproar. As the crowd watched on, Suya leaned in so close to Ikuta that their lips were almost touching, then announced as he looked into the youth’s eyes.


「I can still perform a sneak attack of this level── don’t underestimate me.」


Suya helped Ikuta onto his feet, then left without turning back this time. The youth stiffly watched that strong back walk away for quite a while.



On the same day, 3 pm. Chamille visited one of the many gardens in the palace, with two familiar guests sitting around the table. After hesitating for a moment, she walked to the empty seat prepared for her. Sensing her arrival, the female knight got up and saluted.


「Your Majesty, pardon me for starting first.」


「...Lucanti. When did you get charmed by her food?」


The Empress said with a sigh after seeing the crumbs on the corners of her mouth. The subject was unaware of that, and shook her head.


「I was only invited to a tea party, I have not been tempted by food!」


「That’s right. Lulu, want to try this fig cake?」


「Figs! I will definitely try it.」


Lucanti’s attention towards the Empress was drawn away by snacks in no time. Chamille felt an oncoming headache and approached the table.


「She might seem harmless, but she isn’t easy to grow intimate with… She don’t seem to be wary of you.」


「She is incredible in how she judges people in a way different from us. To be honest, I approached her with the intentions of getting closer to you… But I understand now why you want her to stay by your side.」


Vackie propped her cheeks on her palm and watched intriguely at Lucanti who was snacking blissfully. She suddenly snapped out of it and picked up an empty teacup.


「Sorry, sorry, I got too engrossed observing and forgot about the other things. I will pour you some tea.」


「It’s fine, there will be no end if I admonish for just this much.」


The Empress said with a face of resignation and accepted the tea offered by Vackie. She sipped the tea for a short rest, then looked at the Scientist girl again.


「... Well then, what are you planning to do today? You must have a reason for hosting this tea party, right?」


「Well~ I don’t have any particular goal. I think it will be better if you have more chances to rest and chat idly.」


Vackie said as she poured tea for herself. Lucanti stopped eating her snack when she heard that and said:


「I’m of the same mind.」


「Ugh… Lucanti, you are suggesting that I should waste time?」


「It is not for me to judge if this is a waste of time… Before my brother passed away, we would often chat and quarrel. Thinking back, those times were precious.」


The female knight said nostalgically with squinted eyes. She was reminiscing about her late brother Deinkun Hargunska, so Chamille couldn’t cut in carelessly and held her peace.


「More importantly, the only ones who could quarrel directly with Her Majesty are only Lord Solork and Vackie. In the eyes of your dull witted servant, this is very impressive.」


「Yes, Lulu has great eyes!」


Vackie crossed her arms with a nod. She turned her gaze back on Chamille.


「Honestly speaking, it’s clear to anyone that Chamille is very strict and as stiff as a brick. You will suffocate if you stay that serious all day. Don’t you have any hobbies or interests? OR something you want to do, or hope others can do for you?」


「Something I want others to do for me...」


When she heard that, the dark-haired youth’s face and her recurring dream flashed across Chamille’s mind. She quickly halted the thought, but the Scientist girl didn’t miss that subtle change.


「Ah, your face turned red for a moment. What? Are you thinking about lewd things?」


「I-I’m not! Don’t speak nonsense!」


「Alright now, there’s no need to hide~ It’s normal to have such thoughts at our age, right? Since it’s a girl’s party, let’s open our hearts and confess!」


Vackie declared as if this was to her liking. The Empress who was seen through by her raised her voice to hide her wavering:


「T-That might be so…! But you are only asking me questions, and didn’t talk much about yourself!」


「Hmm? You mean, you are interested about me?」


Vackie’s eyes shone. Chamille shook her head hard.


「No, it’s just unfair for me to be the only one speaking. You have to trade intel for intel, that’s the basic in doing business.」


Chamille was forced to propose a rule of equivalence exchange, and Vackie nodded at that.


「Yes, you are right. What should I talk about? My experience with men?」


「What are you trying to say in broad daylight… Enough, let me ask you. How did you and Solork first meet? I heard that both of you are disciples of Science.」


「Oh, that. Hmm~ how should I answer? He took care of me when I was causing the most havoc.」

 

「Causing havoc? For example?」


Chamille asked with her head tilted, and the Scientist girl answered promptly.


「Taking underlings and making them call me Majesty.」



「Good Afternoon, how’s your work? The top underling of a certain someone.」


In a corner of the document room that had the lingering smell of old paper, Yorga Daimudaritsu was sitting at his desk and concentrating on the papers before him. Ikuta then talked to him with a casual tone from behind. Yorga stopped his hand that was flipping the paper, and hung his head solemnly.


「...Ikuta. Please don’t call me that, my work efficiency will plummet. No one likes their dark history being dragged out, right?」


「Sorry, I don’t mean to upset you, just feeling nostalgic. I never dreamed that I will call you that again.」


Ikuta apologized and walked to his side. Yorga read the data once again and continued:

「I can tell you have a lot on your plate. But my eyes are getting dizzy from the situation here too, she really can’t sit still for a second.」


「As expected, she is the same as always.」


「Yes. When Professor fled to Kioka, it was a headache for us. As you know, that girl can’t really do normal jobs. So I’m grateful for you roping us in. We don’t have to worry about meals, and there aren’t many environments that won’t bore her.」


Yorga massaged his shoulders that had gotten stiff from all the paperwork, and said as if he just remembered:


「But you have really gone all out. If you just want support for governance, there are better choices, right?」


「I’m still recruiting more talents. You aside, I roped in Vackie for other reasons. I thought I messed up at the start… But from the looks of things, this gamble of an appointment paid off.」


Ikuta thought back to Vackie’s words that saved Chamille who was forced into a corner.


「In the current Empire, there aren’t many people of Chamille’s age who don’t fear her and can quarrel with her. No, maybe she is the only one.」


「I agree… She is a difficult child to deal with after all, huh?」


Yorga turned his chair around and asked. Ikuta smiled quietly:


「She is smart, brave and serious── an adorable child… But she thinks she doesn't possess any of these virtues. She took the responsibility for the dilemma that the Empire is facing by herself, and keeps reproaching herself.」


The curse of her bloodline was rooted deeply in her heart. This tragic situation made the youth clench his fist.


「I want to save her. I promised my other half that I will liberate her from that hell… The future of the Empire is just a byproduct.」


「Fufufu… what a scary Field Marshal.」


The youth in a white coat laughed in his trademark conspiracist fashion, and adjusted his monocle.


「In that case, I can hope for her shamelessness to work. I have seen her speaking with Her Majesty a few times, and the atmosphere isn’t bad. She will show kindness to the people she likes, so the other party will either leave from disgust, or give up and befriend her. Fortunately, Her Majesty belongs to the latter.」


They smiled at each other, and Ikuta suddenly had a faraway look in his eyes.


「Some meetings will change your life… Chamille has the right to bask under the light too. Just like when I met Yatori.」


When he closed his eyes, he could see the memories of the Rising Sun Regiment from the past. The youth thought about the times he spent with the vermillion-haired girl, and hoped sincerely── that she would have an equally lucky encounter too.


「Because that guy in the sky is too stingy to make arrangements, so I will do it in his stead. That’s all.」


Ikuta said blasphemy nonchalantly, and Yorga smiled wryly── He knew that this youth wouldn’t just stop with just a wish.




No comments:

Post a Comment