Thursday, October 29, 2020

Gamers! Short Story Collection (1 of 2)

Chapter 1 – Karen Tendou and Masked Gamer

Translator: your_pingas

Today, she visited me, Karen Tendou (5th grade), in my room again, just as usual.

“Hey, hey! Here comes the Masked Gamer!”

“Hello, Shiina-san.”

“…I’m the Masked Gamer.”

“…Hello, Masked Gamer.”

“Hehe, well, hello, hello!”

This onee-san is always noisy.

I smiled at the magical girl mask-wearing pervert- no, the kind onee-san.

“Well, what we’re going to do today, Mafuyu-“

“Masked Gamer!”

“…Masked Gamer-san.”

It’s been one year since I started playing video games with this girl in my neighborhood.

Initially, our relationship is “a lonely genius and a kind onee-san.” Right now, it turned into “a dumb onee-san that self-proclaim as master of gaming and an innocent child that’s willing to play with her” ultimately.

She turned on a racing game and put a controller in front of me.

“Hehe, …I’ll not go easy on you, Karen-chan.”

“No, you never went easy on me-“

“Ah, Karen-chan, there’s a UFO outside!”

“Can’t you act more like an adult!?”

“Eh, hiya!? Crap, I can’t see the screen from the holes in my mask at all!”

“You deserved it, right!?”

Masked Gamer-san always ended up like this.

She’s immature, embarrassing, serious in gaming, and…

“Haha, I won again, Masked Gamer!”

“This pisses me off!”

…That’s why I sincerely love the time when I get to play video games with her.

“One more round, Karen-chan!”

“Alright, alright…”

“The mask is troublesome! I’ll throw it away!”

“Seriously!?”

So, I, Karen Tendou, was perhaps influenced by this Masked Gamer -Sheena-san. She taught me all this.

“I love video games.”

“I have to play seriously.”

“I shouldn’t be embarrassed (negative example).”


[Seitokai readers should know this already. The masked girl is Mafuyu Shiina, the secretary of the student council in the series.]



Chapter 2 – Fantasia 2017 Short Story


“The sakura isn’t blossoming.”

“What?”

One day, this conversation can be heard from a lousy classroom after school.

The 5 guys and girls are talking about games passionately as usual.

Right now, we’re chatting about gal games, I can’t help but say something baffling to others.

I quickly explained.

“Think about it, most gal games started the story in April, right? Well, this way, reasonably, sakura should blossom everywhere.”

“It’s ubiquitous. It’s throbbing to see sakura floating around when you meet with the female protagonist.”

My friend, Uehara-kun, nodded in agreement.

However, I suddenly frowned and cut right into the chase.

“But we live in the north, so sakura blossom in May.”

“Ah-“

Everyone came to their realization.

Now, a blonde and talented girl, my girlfriend – Karen Tendou-san, took over and continued.

“It’s not just gal games. I think every scene in those titles is always based in Kanto.”

“But that’s just because the stage is set in Kanto, right?”

The gal that doesn’t play games – Aguri-san. She’s just as accurate as usual.

“Well…”

I answered.

“I’m not really complaining about it. It’s just that, as a resident in Hokkaido, I feel like that doesn’t resonate with me.”

Upon hearing that, this time, the lonely gamer that belonged in the moe-hating faction – Chiaki Hoshinomori spoke up.

“Well, how should the story development goes to satisfy you, Keita?”

“Hmm? Let me think about it. There should be sakura and legitimate northern elements…”

I thought about it and scrambled my brain for a prologue.

“For example, <In May, on a flower appreciation party where a bunch of local drunkards is dancing naked, I finally met with her>?”

“It’s not romantic at all!”

Everyone gave me a negative review.

“I was just trying to be realistic…”

“I would throw this gal game away within 5 minutes! I don’t care what kind of story it will be when it started with a description of naked old men!”

“It’s fine, Uehara-kun. During the epilogue, whenever the story shows the memory of your first meeting with the female protagonist, there would be a description of a naked old man!” 

“I’m even less interested!”

“There’s an illustration!”

“Are you trying to blind me!?”

Everyone in the Hobby Club complained about me.

…This is strange. I spent a lot of time thinking about this.

Chiaki sighed as she spoke up.

“Keita, you don’t need to focus on sakura blossoms, right? Even if we’re in Hokkaido, can’t we just start the story normally in April?”

“Ah, I see. Well, come to think of it…”

I tried once again and imagined a story that’s based on realistic depictions of the north.

“April. The northern lands are suddenly under an intense blizzard. I, Keita Amano, …found out her cold body under a thick and wet layer of snow…”

“Bad end!”

Everyone brutally complained about me.

Aguri-san rejected my idea furiously.

“Indeed, we do get snow when the school’s opening up! But why must the female protagonist die!? This is too weird, right?”

“Weird? No. In the setting, her head was hit by an icicle on the roof when she’s clearing the snow. Unfortunately, the snow kept piling up when she fainted. Then, she remained undiscovered until freezing to death. …What’s wrong with a realistic story like this?”

“What kind of realism are you looking after!?”

This is strange. People praise games that are somewhat realistic, right?

I expressed my confusion. After that, Tendou-san spoke up restlessly for some reason.

“Amano-kun. Actually, …we don’t really need to start the northern story in April or May. …I think June is pretty good as well…”

“June? No, Tendou-san. In this industry, the latest that the male and female protagonist can meet is May…”

Just as I’m saying that, Tendou-san’s face blushed. …She slightly pouted and told me this.

“Didn’t Amano-kun and I meet in June?”

“I see. June is the best.”

I nodded my head forcefully before starting to look at Tendou-san’s eyes lovingly. Then-

“K. Dismiss.”

-The other three people said that emotionlessly and simultaneously. The Hobby Club meeting of today suddenly ended like this.



Chapter 3 – Keita Amano and Local Communication Battle


[This took place a while before Amano received Tendou’s first Game Club invitation.]

When I’m browsing the comments of a large online game store, I unexpectedly found a well-received game that I missed.

The first impression of this game is like a Nintendo 3DS software for children. In reality, it’s an exciting robot combat game straight out of Corocoro Comics. I think it’s great, anyway.

The story is moving, the combat is immersive, and the godly balanced game mechanics added infinite variations to the game.

I can’t help but lean forward and stare at the screen. …This game is precisely in my zone. I can’t believe I didn’t notice the cover and the related information. How embarrassing and shallow of me. However, more importantly, I finished all my games already, so I’m pretty bored right now. This is literally a gift from God.

Well, all I can do is check it out when I pass the game store after school. I quickly opened my wallet. …Alright, no problem, I got a bit of money. It should be enough.

Once I thought about the possibility of encountering a new favorite game, I can’t help but shiver in excitement. After that, I opened the most trustworthy positive review I can find to push myself and eliminate that last shred of hesitation.

The review is filled with praises that are entirely within my expectation-

<The plot is excellent. …No, actually, the game is already in climax once you finished the tutorial! You have to utilize your items and skills to the max. Then, you will fight with or against your friends in local communication battles. This sentence basically summarized the entire game! I should say that this is what makes it so attractive! You have to play it!>

-I quietly exited the browser.

I left my room and walked down the stairs, deflatedly. Then, I put on my old sneakers and dragged my feet to tie up the shoelaces.

“Eh? Brother, you’re not leaving yet?”

My 9th-grade little brother, who’s going to school later than me, was dumbfounded when he saw that I’m still lingering around. I gave him a powerless smile. …After that, I dropped down an “I’ll be leaving” quietly before leaving the house.

To prevent me from being late, I got on a bus, which I usually wouldn’t. The normie group from the seats behind gave me uncomfortable glares. Even though I didn’t do anything, the girl next to me coughed on purpose. I tried my best to tolerate this for 10 minutes.

Finally, I arrived at the 2F classroom that I dreamed of for so long. I laid on the table exhaustedly.

(Why staying on a bus for 10 minutes is even more exhausting than walking for 25 minutes…)

It’s not just mentally. I’m physically tired as well for some reason. Usually, I would try to play mobile games as much as I can before lessons start, but I guess I won’t do that today. Staring at the classroom dazedly, I accidentally made eye-contact with the refreshing and handsome normie, Uehara-kun. I hastily turned my face towards the window.

-The window is reflecting a lonely passerby with dark circles around his eyes.

I’m Keita Amano, 16 years old, 9th grade. My blood type is A, and my zodiac is cancer. There are four people in my house. Then, …I got stuck on the personal description part. After all, there’s basically nothing for me to talk about.

I was never selected as a hero. I don’t have a tsundere childhood friend or sister-in-law, and I don’t have outstanding wit or superpower. …Ah, no, perhaps I’m an “imaginary killer” in disguise. …However, I never got the chance to verify this ability.

(…Ah, ah, can someone suddenly drag me into a superpower battle. …Of course, my safety should be guaranteed. At the same time, I need to have incredible powers as well.)

Honestly, I’m a piece of trash with Eighth-grade syndrome that’s always daydreaming even though he’s dead-tired.

I, Keita Amano, is a 10th-grade student. Like many others, there’s something that has been seriously bothering me, yet, in reality, this source of frustration can just be found about anywhere.

That is-

(…A famous game that sells by promoting multiplayer with your friends MUST BE ELIMINATED-)

-Loneliness.

This isn’t even a state that a student should be in, not to mention those teenage romantic comedies. I’m not just friendless.

Naturally, a background like this is introduced in the prologue of a light novel, but, in reality, there’s a beautiful class president and one or two other friends that always care about you. If you think that I’m in such a fantastic position while trying to play as the victim, I’ll have to stop you right there.

Right now, let me tell you the undeniable truth.

Starting from the spring of 10th grade until now, none of the students has chatted more than one minute with me.

Also, it’s not those dumb and cliché “I actually got a girlfriend or friends outside of the school” settings as well. It’s what I just said. I’m a loner because I’m lonely, a true lonely boy. I can confidently announce that I have zero friends.

I’m scared when the teacher asks us to form groups by ourselves. I’m used to eating alone. I don’t feel comfortable staying in the classroom during breaks. Instead, I find relief idling in the toilet. Sometimes, someone will come up to me and ask me for some random contact things.

So, people described my can’t-be-any-“normaler” face as “disgusting” frequently. This makes it harder to talk to others, and I began acting suspiciously. Then, this vicious cycle continues, and others are even more “disgusted” by me. At last, it made me feel that I’m saved if I become involved in a superpower battle.

It’s just that I’m not terribly bullied. It’s because, as an unremarkable student, I realized and corrected my position. At the same time, I didn’t overly mock myself as a “low-life refugee.” So, people just view me as a background passerby.

To me, gaming is the only interest that keeps me alive. So…

(…Ugh, screw local communication battles…!)

I remembered what happened in the morning again as I mumbled depressingly.

No, allow me to add something. Actually, someone does play video games with me.

…………

…Well, it’s my little brother.

As long as we each buy a copy of the game, we can still fight each other in local communication battles…

However, for a middle-class family, such capitalistic thought of brothers buying the same game twice can never be achieved!

“?”

Is it because I accidentally knocked on the table? I can see that the girl on the left is looking at me. Just as I’m about to clear everything up with an “I’m fine,” she suddenly pretended to be fascinated by something outside. …Although she didn’t say anything, she seemingly distanced herself a bit away from me. …I want to cry.

A-Anyway.

Well, it’s not exactly right when I say there’s no way for us to buy two copies. After all, brothers that purchase different versions of Pokemon do exist. That’s one way to have fun.

However, this doesn’t apply to my family. It’s because my little brother isn’t the same gaming addict as I am. His attitude towards gaming is, “Ah, it looks like brother’s having fun. I guess I can give it a try.” Also, he abandoned the game in the middle 90% of the time, and he didn’t complete it either. My little brother even deleted my save a few times.

In summary, I never thought of buying a copy for my little brother. Also, I’m not rich enough, anyway.

(If it’s combat or co-op games in consoles, I think he does like it.)

I do allow online battles. However, I’m also an introvert online, so I more or less hesitate.

Currently, Mono and NOBE are the only two that I interact with online.

Mono and I aren’t that close in the mobile game as we barely talked to each other. As for the interaction between the crazy free-to-play game developer NOBE, it’s actually just one-sided feedback from me as a zealous believer. (Also, it’s a simple “I think it’s fun” feedback.)

When I’m thinking about this calmly, I deeply felt that I’m utterly disconnected from the outside world. More importantly…

(I feel happy for some reason, even though I’m in such a situation. I’m hopeless…)

If it wasn’t for the local communication battle this morning, I’m afraid that I won’t even notice that I have no friends at this moment.

I can’t help but sigh deeply. For a moment, it fogged the window, but it disappeared right away.

“8 times, …right?”

When the after school assembly is over, I’m lost in thoughts thinking about things like this as usual.

…How many times do I have to go to school until the game release day?

The high school loner’s path is arduous. The reason that I can bring myself to school every day is thanks to the intermittent “encouragement” provided by my favorite games release day.

A guy without friends is escaping reality with video games. I don’t know how much everyone in the world hates this method. However, from my current perspective, games are why I can keep going in the real world.

I grabbed my schoolbag neatly filled with notes and textbooks, as I stood up and prepared to go home.

-Suddenly.

“Tasuku, let’s go home after we play at the arcade!”

“A-Aguri? Why are you in my classroom? This is embarrassing…”

The flippant girl that poked her head out from the door of the classroom called the central figure of my class innocently, Tasuku Uehara-kun.

After his friends joked around with him, he left the classroom with the girl- his girlfriend with a very embarrassed face.

I grabbed this window. Of course, it’s not as ridiculous. Anyway, I went through the backdoor and left the 2F classroom when everyone is looking at them.

I walked towards the entrance helplessly by myself.

The couple is holding each other’s hands intimately. Compared to his joyful girlfriend, Uehara-kun looks pretty embarrassed. They look unexpectedly sweet.

I looked at their backs boringly as I became lost in thoughts.

(…Indeed, it’s nice to have a girlfriend.)

The scene before me is simply too far for me to reach right now. I can’t even envy or be jealous of them. In reality, Uehara-kun looks a bit annoyed. Perhaps the first thought in his head is “this is a bit awkward.” But that might not be true. When he sees his girlfriend being like this, he can be blessed to the max right now too…

“Hey, hey, Tasuku, You’re amazing at gaming!”

My shoulder shivered at this sentence. I tried my best to keep my cool, and Uehara-kun is still answering with a casual attitude.

“I’m not that good. I think you saw that incredible guy in the arcade yesterday, right. He’s the guy that’s entirely focused on puzzle games.”

“Hey, Tasuku is impressive as well. Remember that time when you played Puyo Puyo with Aguri-“ 

As a fanatic gamer, I can’t help but eavesdrop on their conversation. …Hmph, you’re incredible at gaming, right. …You two can lie about that once you abandoned that normie life of yours-

“Tasuku actually tortured your newbie girlfriend with a 20 win streak-“

“That’s amazing! But it’s horrible at the same time!”

I can’t help but yell! Those two immediately turned around. So, I hastily dashed into the classroom next door. Although those two didn’t see me, people in the room are giving me a strange look.

My face flared up right away. I greeted everyone and left the room within a second. Luckily, those two seem to have gone.

I can finally feel relief. However, I thought of how awkward it will be if we chased each other’s tails. So, I plopped my head down while slowly making my way towards the stairs. …What am I even doing?

“…?”

Just as I lowered my head because of my weird actions, suddenly, I saw a lost student handbook at the corner of the corridor, right below the fire extinguisher.

“…………”

I paused for a moment. However, since I’m always acting suspiciously, even if I try to be a hypocrite, my status in class wouldn’t increase anyway. It’s better to just let this go and brutally ignore it.

…………

…………

“Okay, I got it.”

“Ah, t-thanks. I-I’ll be leaving.”

After handing the handbook to the class teacher in the office, I left with a nervous look.

(Phew, at least everything went fine…)

Instead of the satisfaction of doing a good deed, I’m more afraid of those conflicts that are specially designed for me. …For example, people start to think whether I stole it when I picked up the handbook. That was close.

I walked towards the stairs again as I tried to remember the owner of that handbook.

(In the end, I didn’t even see it because I don’t want any troubles. …It would be great if this is a flag for meeting a beautiful girl. …That’s impossible. I can only imagine it.”

In reality, I did take a glance at the photo when I picked it up, but I didn’t see whether it’s a guy or a girl. I can only remember a messy clump of seaweed. …Is this some kind of prank? Anyway, instead of a love flag, this is more like a flag of getting into trouble with weird students. I feel like I’m in an unsettling Tales of the Unusual episode right now. But it should be fine. I should just try to forget this. Yep. [Note: Tales of the Unusual, a Japanese TV show for suspense and fantastical stories.]

I’m such a pathetic, insignificant, daydream-loving, Eighth-grade syndrome loser.

I feel defeated after I did something good for some reason. I passed through the stairs, left the school building, and headed towards downtown.

I always walk home. After all, I don’t feel comfortable staying on the bus for multiple reasons. More importantly…

I can’t help but bitterly smile when I’m standing at the game store I frequently visit. Usually, I stop by once or twice per week. First of all, I’ll definitely come here every Thursday to check out new releases. Even if I’m not planning to buy anything, I still want to check out the package.

Aside from that, I’ll also take a tour when I found something I like online or in some other places.

As for this time, …it’s not because of the above reasons. I already checked the new releases, and I don’t find anything particularly interesting. If I have to explain why, I guess it’s because today is just another ordinary day. I just stumbled upon here subconsciously.

When I entered the store, I walked around as I browsed the products. Since I’ve looked at all the new stuff already, there’s nothing remarkably surprising. The vintage section didn’t have anything worthy of discussion either.

Just as I plan to go home, I suddenly remembered the game that emphasizes local communication battles in the morning.

(Well, even though I’m not buying it, I can still check out the package, right…)

I thought about that. Just as I’m about to move forward-

“!?”

I noticed an unusual presence. I can’t help but take cover behind the shelves. When my pounding heart is calming down, I secretly glanced at the situation again. Indeed, it’s her, Karen Tendou. I held my breath for some reason.

(W-Why is our school’s idol here?)

I can only see a beautiful girl with blonde hair, blue eyes, a perfect figure, and an incredible face. She’s so unrealistic to the point that I wouldn’t doubt she jumped out of an anime or manga. However, this girl is paying full attention to checking out games.

“…………”

I can’t stop myself from looking at her beautiful face.

Karen Tendou, she is the most famous person in our school- …No, she’s the most famous person in this region. Naturally, I don’t need to explain the reason. It’s because of that face.

I’ve only heard the rumors before. At one point, I doubted it and said, “Don’t underestimate anime. How can a girl that surpass anime exist in reality…”

However, when I saw her in high school, the barrier in my heart that isolated 2D and 3D was utterly destroyed.

She’s the legitimate “princess.”

She’s good at academics and sports. Her look and grade are both top-notch, and she’s an extremely noble person. Karen Tendou, the perfect human, created by God himself.

…Also, I’ve got absolutely no contact point with her, even though I don’t need to bring this up. She’s located at the top of the school pyramid. I’m a low-tier passerby, just like the class difference I’ve learned during humanity lessons. The best I can do is to look and admire her from afar, maybe including some light-novel fascination as well. It’ll only make me frightened and blessed at the same time if I talk to her. …I’ve never believed that I can see a person that makes me “frightened and blessed” at the same time until now. She’s a respectable presence that I can never hope to get close to while giving me such a feeling.

However, that Karen Tendou is actually browsing games.

I gulped.

(W-Why is she here? No, actually, there’s nothing wrong with Karen Tendou buying things in the game store. …However, she doesn’t match this background at all…)

This is not the only place for you to buy games on the street. Tsutaya and the mall are right in front of the station. You can get games anywhere. Also, this store isn’t cheaper than those places as well. Basically, only a guy that’s “happy as long as he’s surrounded by games” like me will come here. [Note: Tsutaya is a bookstore chain in Japan.]

But she’s right here.

(Is she looking for some rare games?)

I’m a bit, …no, I’m insanely curious. So, I tried to secretly look at the game in her hand while preventing her from noticing me. -That is…

(T-THAT’S…THAT’S THE ONE ON THE TOP OF THE WORST GAME RANKING LAST YEAR!?”

This sudden shock made my heart started pounding in a whole new meaning!

(N-No, Tendou-san! You can’t buy that! Although the cover looks interesting, that’s just a decoy! The content is bombarded with wave after wave of negative reviews…!)

Just as I’m getting anxious, Tendou-san is attracted to the content of the box as she’s reading it. …T-This face, she doesn’t know that’s the worst game!?

(W-What should I do…? S-Should I go talk to her? However, I’m stepping over the line. After all, Tendou-san and a guy like me…)

My brain is a tangled mess, and my stomach hurts. I can’t even decide what I should do. If we’re friends, I should at least give her a warning. However, I can’t say that I know her. If that’s the case, I must not say anything. B-But, for a lover of games-

(Uh, ah!)

Just as I’m frustrated on my own, Tendou-san already walked towards the cashier. I think she’s buying it!

(Ahh, Tendou-san…)

Carrying an indescribable feeling, I watched the unrealistic school idol buying the worst game last year. After she left the store, I let out a sigh and came to where she was a while ago, …which is where that piece of trash was located. Perhaps I’m imagining this, but I can seemingly smell Tendou-san’s remaining scent. …Uh, am I a pervert!? No! I pretended to cough at mid-air as I looked at the shelf again. -I suddenly realized.

“Eh? …T-The t-trash game area…?”

It looks like this area is just a couple days old. I didn’t know this existed. Aside from the games that made it in the worst game ranking last year, there are some other trashy titles. Every game has a simple description from the staff. Which means that…

(Eh? …Even though Tendou-san knows that it’s a piece of trash, …she’s still buying it?)

I froze as my heart began to stir.

I left the store subconsciously with a face full of anxiety.

I thought about what happened today as I’m on my way home

At last, I still don’t understand what she was thinking. She could be a trash lover, or she bought it because she really thinks it’s interesting.

No matter the reason, …right now, I’m sure that she has some sort of determination. A determination that won’t be easily waivered by other’s comments.

“…………”

For some reason, I stopped walking.

…Compared to Tendou-san, what’s happening with me today?

I became disappointed in a game because of a strange reason. Even though I’m the one that caused this lonely high school life, yet I’m feeling lonely when others are chatting about games. I’m even freaking out because I did something right.

It’s not because I couldn’t connect with others.

It’s because I didn’t bother connecting with others.

Although I acknowledged the painful reality, right now, I still can’t muster up the courage to talk to the others.

“…I’m the textbook’s definition of a passerby.”

I’m completely different than Tendou-san. I’m just surviving the days with a weak mind.

…………

However…

However, even for a guy like me, there’s still something…that I don’t want to give up.

That is, …that is-

“Eh? Brother, you bought a game?”

When I entered the living room of my house, my little brother bulged his eyes as he stared at the game store plastic bag in my hand and asked.

I put down the bag and answered him.

“Yep, I didn’t plan to buy it, but I got it anyway.”

“Heh, that’s unusual. Brother always decided on the game you want beforehand.”

My little brother robbed the bag in my hands and took out the game as he said that

The game that he took-

“What? Hmm, …a local communication battle robot game?”

-It’s the one that sells well with its local communication battle system. My little brother gave me a weird look.

“Brother, do you know anyone else playing this game?”

“…Well, I don’t.”

“Huh? Then why did you buy it?”

My little brother gave me a dumbfounded look as he asked me.

I smiled bitterly. Then, I shared my determination with him, which he probably won’t understand.

“At least, I don’t want to give up…anything related to gaming.”

Whether it’s because some hotheaded gods listened to my wish, I met up with the “Game Club” via Tendou-san a while later. I managed to construct a precious relationship with others with the help of gaming….

All of that happened a while later.



Chapter 4 – Karen Tendou and Idle-type Games


[This is before Amano’s first confession to Tendou.]

“T-That’s why I said social games like this is really…”

I threw my phone to the side furiously before sinking my face into the pillow.

Before I go to bed, I, Karen Tendou, was interested in social games for some reason. …In the end, I quitted the game with a head filled with dissatisfaction and rage.

…Initially, I knew that I’m not suited to these types of games. However, recently, …when I saw Amano-kun enjoying it, I can’t help but think, “perhaps I’m biased.” So, I more or less compromised and tried social games out for a bit…

I slowly flipped my body and stared at the roof with a dazed expression.

(Unexpectedly, the game is actually pretty fun, …especially for rhythm-based games. Their quality is on par with PC music games.)

I did have a good time. From this perspective, I even wanted to take back the “social games are boring” comment to Amano-kun.

However, on the other hand…

As a hardcore gamer, I’m incompatible with the mechanic of social games.

It’s because there’s one element that’s utterly hated by me…

“…Stamina limit. …This is nothing but trouble for me.”

You have to wait for your stamina to regenerate to play the game a limited number of times. The main point is that you’re not playing all of it at once. Instead, you’re checking it out once a while in the long term. I’m really not suited to this playstyle.

I grabbed my phone and opened the music game I played a while ago. …The stamina is zero, and I can’t even play for once.

After I locked the screen and put the phone aside, I pouted.

(Why you’re not letting me play when I really want to?)

I, …Karen Tendou, will feel a devastating sense of defeat when I can’t “follow my own rhythm” during gaming.

…………

“…Uh, ha!”

Once I snapped out of it, I realized that I’m hitting the bed with my hands and legs when no one’s around like a child throwing tantrum. This isn’t what a high school student should be. I can’t help but blush.

(N-No, Karen Tendou! You can’t be like this! You’re not a puppy yearning for food!”

I started reflecting on myself. Actually, come to think of it, I’m impatient when it comes to queuing for a match. I always leave right away when no one is around to play against me online.

I stood up abruptly and grabbed my phone tightly.

(This isn’t working. I have to get used to waiting. If I’m so impatient, I’ll definitely get into fights with Amano-kun later! …I need to improve this by going through some training, Karen Tendou!)

I thought about that as I started searching for new apps. This time, I’m not looking for social games. Instead, I’m looking for ones that wait around for progress, …which is idle-type games.

(There are no extra elements, no need to pay to win, and no skill is required. …A indie app that can be completed by “waiting” is what I need for my training.)

I quickly browsed the list. After scrolling down for a while, I found an icon drawn with vintage and rough pixels. …This is the one.

Intuitively, I installed it on my phone and opened the app right away.

The first thing that showed up is a title and a cute yellow fungus in a black blag. The screen is tidy.

<Idle Cultivation! Happy Fungus!>

(Ahh, this seems to be a very half-hearted game. The content is just cultivating yellow fungi. The developer is so lazy that I fell into a philosophical maze, thinking about what entertainment is. However, once I digested this kind of casual idle-type game, …I can evolve right away!)

I imagined myself being able to chat happily with Amano-kun. Suddenly, I’m filled with determination and immediately clicked on the game.

The screen showed the prologue.

<Today, the yellow fungus is still thriving under the shades of the tree.>

<It’s slowly growing, growing, and growing.>

<It’s slowly opening its caps, opening, and opening.>

<I’m blessed when I’m just looking at it giving its best.>

This poetic description created a warm light in my frustrated heart. At the same time, I believed that as long as I casually enjoyed the experience and completed the game, I will be able to say goodbye to my frustration.

I smiled and clicked the screen to continue reading the prologue.

The screen showed another set of text.

<Haha, …my parents still aren’t visiting me today. It looks like I made a mistake.>

<From the ward’s window, a young man shows a complicated smile to the fungi growing in the garden.>

“…Huh?”

The sudden development made me question it out loud. …W-What is this…? …Anyway, I clicked the screen and continued reading.

<Hoho, …I don’t have much time. Can I at least see something that cheers me up?>

<The young man coldly smiled as he closed the blinds in the ward.>

The screen showed the full view of a pixelated version of the hospital bathed in an ominous atmosphere.

…………

I clicked. Then, the screen appeared again.

<Idle Cultivation! Happy Dying Child!> [Note: The pronunciation for “Happy Fungus” and “Happy Dying Child” is the same.]

“LIAR!”

I can’t help but yell in the room alone! I can hear my father’s anxious and concerned voice from the living room. “W-What’s wrong, Karen?” “It’s fine.” I answered. Then, I calmed myself down with a couple deep breaths.

“C-Calm down, Karen Tendou. You don’t want this, right. If you’re training for a heart that can contain all accidents, you must not be angered easily. This isn’t working.”

I adjusted my emotions and faced the screen again.

The screen…is still showing that fake title.

(…It was on purpose, right. The initial screen and the app both used Hiragana. The developer is clearly messing with people.)

It pisses me off. However, I have to tolerate this. …In a sense, this is the perfect opponent for training a calm mind.

I made up my mind and continued clicking.

<The goal of the game is basically idling. Sometimes, you need to check out how’s the “dying child” is doing and confirm his sickness.>

“This is too not serious, right!”

I really wanted to uninstall it, but I should at least check what will happen next.

<Note: Also, the young man caught a cold only. So, he took his day-off and hospitalized himself.>

“That’s a double scam! He’s not dying at all!” [Note: The title can also be interpreted as <Idle Cultivation! Happy Holiday-ending Child!>.]

As if it’s trying to answer my question, the next screen popped up with some additional explanations.

<Please use your power and make this “mentally” terminally-ill young man happy!>

“I don’t feel like it in the slightest!”

Why do I have to make a twisted young man feel happiness!

…N-No, no, Karen Tendou. Investigating the meaning of a game is the dumbest thing you can do. Calm down, calm down.

I continued clicking the screen., and I guess the main story is starting. The screen showed a pixeled top view of the young man’s ward. Initially, I clicked the TV, vase, and window first, but they didn’t trigger anything.

At last, I clicked the young man on the bed, and a text appeared.

<1 minute until he wakes up.>

An explanation is also included.

<You can see the next event when you open the app during the young man’s wake-up stage. Sometimes, the events will provide you with options. Please guide the young man to true happiness.>

“I see. In reality, this is an ordinary idle-type game.”

It looks like the core game mechanic wasn’t a scam.

Then, I glanced at the notice.

<However, events will only be triggered within the 2 hours that the young man is awake. If the app isn’t opened during this period, you can’t see the event. Also, the young man will choose an option on his own. Please mind that.>

“You need to check it frequently if you want to see the happy ending. Honestly, this is a bit annoying. …Well, whatever. This is training, after all.”

I feel like this game is really unfriendly to users. Well, I guess you can it’s a feature of idle-type games, right.

Just as I’m thinking about all that, the 1-minute countdown passed already. An event popped up on the screen.

The young man stared outside the window alone.

<I…can’t just stay here and do nothing. Cough, cough!>

“You can get out now. You just caught a mild cold, right.”

<Even though the doctor smiled and said I can be discharged anytime. …Well, this means that…I already…ran out of options, …right. …I guess that’s what he means…>

“Indeed, you ran out of options in the opposite meaning. After all, this can be cured with enough nutrients and a good rest.”

<Hmph, …the yellow fungus over there and me, …I wonder who will die first…>

“I’m afraid it’s the fungus.”

No, I can’t even stop complaining. Is this a gal game? Is the developer even serious about making this?

The young man continued.

<…My parents…still aren’t here today…>

“…………”

Although the young man caught a cold only, the atmosphere is still a bit lonely.

Suddenly-

<120 minutes until he wakes up.>

“You’re stopping here!?”

I was bamboozled! Even though the content is meaningless, but this way of luring you into the hole is way too cunning! Honestly, I’m really curious to see how this young man and his cold’s story progress!

“Also, it’s 2 hours later…”

Since I’m preparing to go to bed, this is a really subtle time. The event will only happen within the 2 hours that the young man is awake. I can never make it if I wake up after getting a night of good sleep.

“Ugh, …even though I started playing this at the wrong time, this is too…”

This game is sincerely unfriendly to users. However, if you say that this is “a part of the game,” I can’t really retort.

After a moment of hesitation, I set the alarm clock to wake me up 2 hours later.

“This is nothing but training, Karen Tendou…”

I showed off my hardcore gamer side at some random places. I turned off the lights and took a 2-hour nap. Then, …midnight, I heard the quiet alarm that doesn’t disturb my parents’ sleep, and I woke up.

I rubbed my eyes as I checked my phone in the dark.

In the game, the young man stretched his back comfortably in a refreshing morning.

<Ah, I had a good night’s sleep today!>

“Tck…!”

This is the first time that I got so mad at a game. I suppressed my anger and sleepiness and continued reading the story.

The young man is mumbling to himself just as usual.

<Ah, my body feels great. I feel like I’m not sick at all!>

“You actually recovered! Your cold goes away when you have a good night’s sleep, right!”

<It would be better if I can just go outside and play!>

<Just go! The game can end this way!>

<…Well, I’ll stop the jokes here.>

“What should I do! I can’t even see where’s the prologue of this game! What does this terminally-ill child in all meanings want from me!?”

In this sense, the title of the game isn’t lying.

<Well, what should I do today?>

Just as the young man is mumbling to himself, a series of options appeared on the screen. I got a bit worked up since this is the first part where the player can participate. So, I read the choices.

1. Throw tantrum at the nurse

2. Steal an ambulance and run away

“You scumbag!”

I can’t find a single correct option. What do I do!? If you want to leave so badly, why don’t you just say it to the staff! Why do you have to commit unnecessary crimes!?

I sighed helplessly and chose the less dangerous “throw tantrum at the nurse” option. Then, the screen showed the next time.

<10 minutes until he wakes up.>

“Shameless!”

Even though I want to sleep right away, I can’t go to bed while leaving this alone. However, there’s a 2-hour period for you to choose the event after the young man woke up. Actually, I can sleep for another 2 hours…

“…I’ll be pissed if I have to wake up once again.”

So, I wasted 10 minutes on my phone checking on the latest game information dazedly. I thought about why I’m getting so worked up while furiously opening the app. Then, …the young man is wrapping his hands around his legs on the bed.

<…My favorite nurse-san is mad at me. …This is depressing.>

“Shut up! You deserved it!”

<Ah, ah, why did you choose to throw a tantrum at the nurse…>

The pixelated young man glanced at me.

“Wait, why are you saying that like it’s my fault? It’s at least better than stealing an ambulance, right?”

<Well, …what should I do next. This time, I have to do something serious…>

The options appeared as the young man is mumbling.

1. Pretend to be cute to make the nurse sleep with you

2. Blow up the hospital

“That’s not what a serious person would do at all!”

What is the meaning of this? There’s only one option, right. You’re doomed in every sense if you choose the latter. Even though the former sounds like what a piece of trash would do, you literally can’t choose the last one, right.

I selected the sleeping option silently. So, the waiting time for the next event is…

<6 hours until he wakes up.>

“Ahh, I can see it when I’m in school. Finally, I can get a good night’s sleep.”

At last, I felt relieved as I went to bed.

After that, I had a nightmare where the young man charged into the hospital with an ambulance and blew everything up. It tortured me for a couple hours.

I went to school after waking up like usual and made all preparations. I took my seat after greeting my classmates. …Suddenly, I remembered the game.

(Ah, it’s almost time for the event. It’ll be over after the first lesson…)

I brought up my phone and tried to see the event. …However, my friends immediately surrounded me and started chatting just as usual. There’s no way for me to see it.

(Even if I pretend to be checking my messages, …I can’t do it. It’ll be too awkward if I explicitly showed the game screen here. However…)

I’ll miss the event if this continues. …It can’t be helped.

I stood up and smiled at my friends.

“I’ll go to the toilet.”

So, after I stopped the girls that wanted to go with me politely, I left the classroom in a flash.

I suddenly noticed my change when I’m dashing across the corridor, and I can’t help but smile bitterly.

(What am I doing? I can’t believe I threw away the chance to talk to my friends for a game. That’s too much for a person, right. However…)

It can’t be helped. Yes, it can’t be helped.

I comforted myself as I arrived at the toilet, where no student uses it in the morning. Once I entered an empty stall, I quickly checked the screen.

<…I kept forcing the nurse to sleep with me, and I ended up getting punched. …Ugh. …I have to tell this to my father, who donated a lot of money to this hospital. …You jerks.>

“…………”

How should I put this? What a godly scumbag observation game. I suddenly calmed down. I distanced from my friends and entered the girl’s toilet just to watch this jerk? I can’t even figure that out.

The young man sobbed as he wiped his tears with his pajamas. Then, he returned to bed. After a while of silence, …he mumbled.

<I made up my mind. …I’m doing the surgery.>

“That was sudden!? Also, what the hell is that!?”

The young man just caught a cold (and he recovered already). What surgery does he need!?

Just as I’m trembling, the young man continued mumbling solemnly.

<I already decided that I’m going through the surgery. There’s no choice! I will never…I will never let someone control my fate again!>

“Like I’m the one that dragged you into hell!”

<However, what kind of surgery should I take? I’ll give it a good think the next time I wake up! Use the options!>

“That’s the most critical decision, right!? You’re throwing that to me again!?”

<The next, …the next choice will decide everything!>

The young man screamed excitedly, and the screen switched again.

<10 minutes until he wakes up, …until the FINAL CHOICE!>

“This game is ending too fast!”

I reached the end in only a single day. No, if there are multiple options, perhaps the content of the first run isn’t this little.

No matter what, I can’t afford to miss the next super important event. However, now that I’m checking the time, I realized the situation is a bit awkward.

“My only chance is the break after the first lesson is over…”

I can’t miss this chance, no matter what.

I made up my mind before leaving the toilet and heading back to the classroom.

(…It’s finally here.)

After the first lesson ended, I stood up immediately. Then, I hastily left the classroom before my friends started to gather around me, which I don’t feel guilty anymore. However-

“Oh, isn’t this Tendou?”

“Hmm? Ahh, Uehara-kun.”

-A familiar guy suddenly struck up a conversation with me in the corridor, and I stopped. Even though I really wanted to check the app, I feel like it’s not going to take a long time talking to him since he’s not that close to me. I showed an appropriate smile. It seems that he suddenly remembered something. So, he dropped down a “right” as he got closer.

“Sorry, can you call Hoshinomori in your class for me?”

“Hoshinomori-san? Sure…”

It won’t take long. I turned around and started walking back towards Class A. Uehara-kun continued.

“Ah, Amano has to talk to Hoshinomori. He didn’t even listen to me.”

“…………”

My face started twitching. A-Amano-kun has to talk to Hoshinomori-san, …that perfectly-matched cute girl for him?

“He, he…”

I covered up my shock as I entered the classroom and spoke up to Hoshinomori-san.

After she heard what I said, the girl tilted her head unbelievably.

“Eh, Keita? …Ah, it must be that, right. Jesus, this guy is surely annoying.”

“A-Annoying? Amano-kun…?”

The Amano-kun that I always cared about…i-is annoying to her?

I can’t ignore the conversation between these two. However, Hoshinomori-san bid farewell to me before leaving the classroom and meeting up with Uehara-kun. Then, they walked towards Class F, where Amano-kun is.

I also left the classroom and walked to the toilet- Of course not, I went to Class F.

So, I sneaked around the classroom…and tried my best to eavesdrop, even though I can only hear parts of their conversation. However…

“C-Chiaki, that----is----------We---talked-------disgusting---too much.”

“Yes---However. Keita----planned this?”

I can really only hear a little bit. I don’t know what they’re talking about at all. Although I have no idea, I can feel that they’re talking about something really important!

I poked my head out and stalked them while ignoring the people who’re staring at me.

“----Even though it’s---Uehara-kun----See?”

“Ah. …Hey, Hoshinomori. ----I’m also----“

(Ughhh…)

The three kept chatting with each other, but I still can’t figure out the content. Even though I can’t hear them, the feeling of them talking about something important is getting stronger and stronger. Finally, they nodded at each other with a “that’s nice” and a cheerful look. What…is happening? Did they form some sort of group…?

In the end, I remained in position even though I can’t figure it out. Then-

“…Ah.”

Once I snapped out of it, the bell that signaled the end of the break rang.

During the next break, I ran towards the toilet. My hands are trembling while holding the phone.

(I’m afraid I missed the most critical event in the game. Also, I gave the most crucial choice to the scumbag protagonist instead of myself…)

Ahh, what did I just do! I sacrificed my sleep to get the game at this stage yesterday. …I can’t believe a hardcore gamer like me will make a rookie mistake like this.

I sighed out loud. However, …well, there’s no use sighing.

I opened the app and observed the protagonist determinedly.

On the screen, he’s still lying on the bed-

-The young man evolved into a muscular person. His body is covered in dark skin.

“WHAT HAPPENED!?“

I can’t help but yell, and I even forgot that I’m in school. “Eek!?” I can hear someone’s gasp outside the toilet, but who cares!

I really want to break the screen with my clicking. The young man showed his sparklingly white teeth and mumbled the epilogue.

<Thanks to you, the operation is successful.>

“What operation!?  Did you get Dr. Goodjob by your side!?” [Note: Dr. Goodjob is from Power Pros. A randomly encountered character that can enhance the pitcher’s body performance.]

<Also, this is thanks to everyone. Takeshi, you told me what friendship is. Kyoko, you made me experience the warmth of love. Brother, you gave me your organs. My parents, you two were perceived as mascots by the enemies. The village chief, you granted me the holy sword. However, the one that I should thank the most is the people from the Republic of Madagascar for forgiving me.>

“What did you choose in the last event to turn the whole situation into this! This game’s events are too weird, right! Also, what did you do to Madagascar!”

<Thanks to everyone’s help, I can be reborn like this. …In the past, I’m also instigated by the devil and caused a lot of troubles for the nurse.>

“Who are you taunting!? Hey! Explain who’s the devil you’re referring to!”

<I’m really happy now. Thanks! My girlfriend, Kyoko, is pretty cute!>

“I don’t give a damn.”

<Indeed, from today onwards, …from today onwards, I’m a happy muscular man filled with tendons. You can abbreviate it as Happy M Tendon Man!>

“Uwah, your name actually echoed with the topic♪ …Did you really think I’ll praise you like that!?” [Note: The game title can also be interpreted as <Idle Cultivation! Happy M Tendon Man!>. ”

Looking at the credits that started playing on the screen, I really want to throw my phone to the wall.

However, …I barely stopped myself.

“N-No, …you can’t do that, Karen Tendou. This is obviously my problem. Yes, if I didn’t miss the last event, perhaps I’ll be just as touched right now…”

The credits are over, and the game returned to the title screen. …I tried my best to suppress my anger…and clicked on the new game button.

“I’m playing it. …Let’s give it my best! I’m the hardcore gamer, Karen Tendou!”

…………

In the end, no matter which option you pick, and even if you saw all events, the game will eventually return to this baffling ending…

-She already wasted 2 weeks of her life when she knew this fact.

Epilogue – The full conversation of Amano and his friends in Class F

“C-Chiaki, that app, …the <Idle Cultivation! Happy Fungus!> that you developed based on the random conference chatters from the Game Hobby Club, …I think it’s too much of a prank.”

“Really? But didn’t Keita plan this out excitedly back then?”

“I mean, you’re right. …Uehara-kun, what do you think?”

“Ahh. ….Hey, Hoshinomori, actually, I think that app is pretty bizarre as well.”

“Okay, it’s off the shelves.”

“Why are our treatments so different? However, come to think of it, I’m afraid a lot of people played it already.”

“Ahh, don’t worry about it, Keita. I just checked, and only 3 people downloaded it.”

“Ah, really. I’m glad to hear that. We said we’re downloading it, so it’s just Chiaki, Uehara-kun, and me. Ah, good to know that there are no victims! Right, Uehara-kun! …Uehara-kun? What’s wrong? Your face is covered with sweat.”

“…Oh, oh! …I was saying since I’ve been swamped lately, I actually didn’t- …Ah, no, it’s fine, yep! Ah, it’s great! There are zero victims! Yep!”



No comments:

Post a Comment