Saturday, October 3, 2020

Alderamin on the Sky Volume 9 (7 of 7)

 

Translator: Skythewood

Editor: Hiiro


「Snap out of it, Sol.」


A voice cried out behind the locked doors of a certain base. In contrast with the red haired general who didn’t flinch from the punch, Bada who wasn’t used to swinging his fist sprained his wrist.


「Listen, I might be more witty and more agile in commanding troops, but that was all. After peeling off my disguise, I’m just a middle-aged old man that can be found anywhere, whose only hobby is painting, and I’m not good at that either. I won’t be able to handle it if you entrust the future of the country to me.」


Solvenares stood wordlessly, refuting strongly through his silence, certain that only the man before him could save the nation. Bada shook his head at his obstinate friend.


「... Hey, Sol. When a country’s way of existence heads towards a dead-end, sometimes there would be loud voices proposing extremist views. Those people will be called heroes, taking in the citizens who abandon the old establishment and create a bigger organization. Then what happens? Right── if he is lucky, he might become a leader who founded a new nation.」


「......」


「However, that was as far as he goes. That nation would last one generation before crumbling… Because everyone except that person would give up on using their brains, that’s all.」


Bada’s black eyes admonished his friend for his mistake. Because Bada thought of him as an equal.


「That guy will get it done. We can bet our lives on that guy. We can trust that guy unconditionally── It will truly be a headache if everything sounds pleasing to the ears. But in regards to the country’s future, this is just another way of giving up on thinking.」


「......!」


「You know why, Sol? Because── in any kind of government, it’s impossible for one person to shoulder communities with tens of thousands of civilians. A country is ran by dividing roles to operate it, even for a monarchy ran by a dictator.」


For an onlooker, he might sound like he was just stating an obvious truth. A nation wasn’t run by one person, even a child knew that. On the other hand, people often forget what Bada just said. Someone shouldering the fate of a country── many people didn’t realize that the pursuit of such charismatic leadership was already a confirmation bias in itself.


「Sol, tell me what you really think── In your eyes, how much longer can the Empire last?」


Solvenares fell silent at that question for a moment, as he calculated the remaining lifespan of the nation.


「... I can’t guarantee a hundred years. If we progressively shrink our borders, maybe 60 or 50 years...」


「Fifty years, isn’t that great? Think about it, what are the chances of us lasting that long with the up and coming Kioka at our borders? Listen, this situation isn’t too different from the Empire losing the Igsem. I can’t handle it even with my time here, things will just keep deteriorating into chaos. Kioka will slowly consume us as we split into factions.」


「......」


「That’s the true essence of the preposterous action you were attempting… All this while, your family had been shouldering this heavy burden. You know right, Sol. You have been trying to solve this the entire time. Slowly delegating the responsibilities forced onto the Igsem to others, changing the military from the inside, and correcting the nation’s overreliance on the military… That’s the future I envisioned. Roundabout and time consuming, but no fresh sacrifices will be needed this way.


Relying on a hero to save a country is a reckless gamble that will turn out horribly no matter what happens. And I’m no hero. If I look like one, that’s because you and Tel had always been by my side supporting me.」


Bada muttered with a sigh, then showed a pained expression.


「It’s vexing, but my attempts didn’t work. Since I’m forced into such a situation, that means I made a fatal mistake in my political struggle against the corrupted nobles. I know the urge to go all out, instead of sacrificing you, I would rather start a coup. If you are game for it, I might consider it seriously.」


Solvenares also showed a pained face, as if he was a reflection── this was the only thing he couldn’t do. As an Igsem through and through, he couldn’t do it. Even if it came to this, even with the most loathsome betrayal by the country he had been protecting, he could only die for the sake of changing the country.


As long as he lives, he could only watch over the nation until the end. That was the flaming obligation branded into his body and soul.


His good friend understood this more than anyone else, and respected his way of life── and said these cruel lines with that in mind.


「However── with that in mind, I think we should protect the Empire. At least for now. Until we find an option other than dumping on a non-existent hero. If someone like me founded a new nation through martial prowess, the situation would be no different than one millennium ago. That nation would disappear like bubbles, and history will repeat itself.」


「......」


「There are no heroes here. In any case, I can’t stand the unsightly view of us relying on that sort of thing── With that as a preface, what should we consider and what should we do, Sol?」


Bada said and grabbed his friend’s shoulders with both hands, signifying that they had finally reached the starting point of their negotiation.


「Either you or me will lead our troops to engage the enemy. It’s vexing, but this part won’t change. It will be a big problem if we leave the invading army alone, and to engage them, there is a need to defy the edict and mobilize the troops.」


Solvenares nodded heavily. Their choices were limited.


「And obviously, defying the edict means a death sentence. Which means── one of us will die after fending off the invading army.」


「......」


「In that case, drawing lots is a method── but before that, I hope you can hear me out. I will be frank, instead of the 20 million citizens, there are things I prioritize above them. My wife and son’s future.」


The moment he heard that, Solvenares was relieved. He was glad to have avoided the worst scenario of forcing his friend onto the battlefield and become the lone survivor.


He would then say── I will leave the rest to you.


Despite their conversation, Sol’s trust towards Bada remained unwavering. He believe that if it was him, this man would guide the country and family in a good direction,


「And so, I hope you can let me go this time.」


Bada’s direct refusal made Solvenares stand stiffly in place.


「The reason is simple. If you are executed as a war criminal at this time, the Igsem clan will be destroyed. It irks me to say this, but this is probably the goal of the fox who created this situation. When that time comes── I don’t have the confidence to save Yatori.」


When he heard that, the vermillion-haired general felt as if his heart was stabbed. Bada hung his head with a sigh.


「I’m sorry, Sol. I couldn’t persuade your daughter… During those three months, I did everything I can to change it, but that child will walk down the path of destruction together with her clan.」


「... Why did you bring up my daughter? Aren’t you going to protect the future of your wife and son?」


「That’s right, I want to protect them. To protect Ikuta’s future, that girl’s existence will be necessary── I understand clearly during her three months stay with us. The two of them should stay together. A meeting like that is once in a lifetime.」


The gentle expression on his face completely convinced Solvenares. The unqualified father who wished for salvation asked Bada to take care of his daughter, and Bada treated her like one of his own. A daughter he wouldn’t hesitate to protect, just like his wife and son.


「... Destroying the whole clan after your execution would also apply to the Sankrei family...」


「Indeed. However, Ikuta wouldn’t be defeated just with that. He is not bound by his family name, even if he is no longer a Sankrei, he will find many ways to survive. That’s the kind of person he is.」


「It will be hard on your wife too. She has always been frail.」


「If Ikuta and her leaned on each other, they will manage. As for their living expenses… I will be counting on you for that, Sol. You won’t turn me down, right?」


Bada’s smile was filled with complete trust. Solvenares clenched his fists so tightly that his veins were showing.


「... Do you understand? You won’t even have a chance to bid them farewell.」


「My son will hate me── but it can’t be helped. It’s all because we adults didn’t do good enough.」


Bada nodded with a pained expression. His old friend wanted to interject, but was stopped by what Bada said next.


「That’s a load off my chest. I didn’t enlist willingly, and have no intentions of becoming a hero. However── I chose to become a father. No one forced me and I didn’t just go along with the flow, I chose this role myself.」


「...!...」


「Hence── this is the best reason for a human to give up their life. I want to be the father of those two children until the end. Do you get it, Sol?──」




「── Your father, Bada Sankrei, didn’t die for the sake of his country.」


Opening eyes after finishing his reminiscence of the past, Solvenares returned his gaze to the youth and said to him.


「The thing he is trying to protect is right here. It’s all in this painting. Including my daughter.」


He couldn’t bear to look and lowered his gaze. The reaction of many people when facing the things overly precious to them.


「The future of living together with his loving wife and two children. That was the only thing Bada held on to in his last battle. He used everything to win── then died. Unlike me who lost the right from the very beginning, he was your father until the very end.」


The man said with the reputation of his friend at sake. The moment he heard that, the youth’s shoulders quivered.


「...... I, I know...」


As tears rolled down his cheeks, he spoke for the first time in two years.


「... I know Dad loved me and protected me. When I think back on my childhood, it only reaffirms that. I understand now── those three months were the world to me. That’s why I want to protect them. Protect my cherished things and head into the future… But I can’t even do that. I was powerless and lost my parents, then lost her because of my weakness...」


He refuted his self worth strongly, his sense of loss was so strong that he couldn’t even move a finger. Overlapping the feelings eating away at the youth with his own, the vermillion-haired general asked quietly.


「Let me ask you one thing. My daughter── Yatori, did she ask anything of you in the end?」


When he was asked that, numerous words welled up in the youth’s mind── but the answer was just one sentence.


「... There’s no need to protect the nation. No matter what, protect the girl named Chamille.」


「── That’s what that child said?」


Solvenares was dumbfounded. As an Igsem, he understood the heavy implication behind these words.


「... The descendent of Igsem, the sword that protects the Empire, her last words were something aside from worrying about the nation’s future? That is the best proof── your existence has saved my daughter’s humanity.」


The man believed that this youth didn’t need to regret anything. Failing to protect the vermillion-haired girl resulting in her early death was all the fault of her father. The blame all rested on Solvenares Igsem alone.


So the youth just needs to take pride in what he has accomplished.


「I’m a wimp of a father. I’m just related to her by blood, and have done nothing for her as her kin. I’m not qualified to say anything now… It might be thick skinned for me to say this, but I want to thank you. Thank you, Ikuta Solork── Thanks to you, Yatorishino’s heart lives on.」


The vermillion-haired girl’s father said with his head bowed. Ikuta was silent as the words permeated deep into his chest.


A few minutes of silence later, Solvenares asked again.


「── What do you wish for?」


「......」


「With the establishment of the current government, the Igsem has been relieved of its duty as guardians of the Empire. The future of the nation lies in the hands of the new Empress and the Remeon faction now, I’m not qualified to interfere with their decision. My body is but a relic of the past, and my only thoughts are to rust away together with my twin blades. However...」


The man took a step forward. The last thing in his heart spurred his rotting body forward.


「However── I will say this. If my daughter’s will that persist til her end still lives within you──」


He knelt before the youth── the person he wanted to adopt at one point. The subject he wanted to kill at one point. The orphaned son of his good friend, the soul of her late daughter. The man had countless reasons to help this youth. And no obligations could hold him back.


「I hope to achieve that goal when my life expire.」


He was hopelessly late, but Solvenares still held on to this wish. From this moment on, he would play the role of Yatorishino Igsem’s father properly until he drew his last breath. And help Ikuta Solork, who was her other half.


He would live as a father and a human until the end of his life. Just like what Bada Sankrei did.


「... I didn’t, lose...」


In the face of that man’s determination, the dark-haired youth recalled her last words.


「......Yatori...」


The vermillion-haired girl thanked him. She thanked him for having met her.


Then, why didn’t he look at how she lived until the very end?


── You can raise your head, Ikuta.


All the times they spent together. All the things, the joy and sadness they shared, the countless precious gems. He didn’t lose them. Every shard was still in his heart.


── You fulfilled your promise.


Her last words still rang clearly in his ears. The youth knew that she meant every word she said.


「── Can I… think of it that way?」


Take that the promise had been fulfilled. Take her hand and guide her to happiness── the promise he made to his mother was fulfilled at that moment. Take it that meeting him, and the days they spent together brought light to Yatorishino Igsem’s life.


There was no doubt about that. That was what she told him before she died. However── the one who couldn’t accept this answer was him.


… Because he wanted to spend more time with her.


… He wanted to head down the path into the distant future by her side.


He was filled with unending regret for not reaching this bright future.


However, there was something he didn’t lose. The will she left behind.


The thing he wanted to protect more than anything else. Yatorishino’s heart lives on in him.


And so── he needed to stop playing dead and take a step forward.


「...Chief of Staff.」


The youth made up his mind and said:


「Can you get me a crutch?」


「...! Of course!」


The face of General Shiba who heard this request brightened. Ikuta took the crutch from him and got up with a wobble. He overcame the lingering pain of his arrow wound and atrophied leg muscles── and stood.


「She── Chamille, where is she?」


「Her Majesty is in the mountains to the north, probably engaged in battle.」


His Chief of Staff answered elatedly. There was an ominous feel to that report, but General Shiba couldn’t hold back his excitement── no night lasts forever, the dawn will always come. He kept that hope the dark haired youth said to him in the past until this day. He was about to witness the coming dawn for the third time.


「I see, I understand the situation now── can you prepare a cavalry unit? At least one company, a battalion if possible. An elite unit that prioritize speed.」


「I will ready the men. It’s not convenient for you to take to the frontlines with your leg injuries, what about the frontline commander?」


「There’s a perfect candidate right before me.」


Ikuta said without hesitation as he looked at the vermillion-haired general. As he glanced at Solvenares who stood to answer his request, the youth rested his hand on the shortsword on his waist.


「Sorry, Yatori, I’m finally awake now… I slept for too long. I will have to apologize to the guys in the Knights Corp.」


The youth muttered to himself as he opened his waist pouch to pat Kusu’s head. His partner Luminous Sprite who stayed by his side for the past two years said 「Welcome back, Ikuta」 and showed a gentle smile.


With his hands on the shoulders of the two generals, Ikuta left the room. He looked back at Bada’s family portrait one last time, burning it into his iris, before walking forth again. When he closed his eyes── he saw the scene his father tried to protect, and before it were the things he should protect right now.


「Chamille, I’m coming for you right now. Please be safe──!」




Translator’s note:


Double short posts this week. The first part of Death Volume 4 will be published together with this short post.


After stopping for one year, I finally managed to continue this series for two volumes. It’s hard, painful, and I lost plenty of views, but I managed to get this far. Remember, every painful thing that you read one time, I have to read multiple times to get the translation right.


A big thanks to all my patrons who supported me through this. This project wouldn’t be possible without your support.



Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment