Thursday, February 18, 2021

Gamers! Volume 9 Afterword

Hello, I’m the author that brought a game or manga I already have at least once per year, Sekina Aoi. I don’t know why either, and I get really upset whenever that happens. Initially, it should be just as money-wasting as stacking up books I don’t read or games I don’t play. However, their level of disappointment is wholly different. Don’t tell me it’s because I knew how stupid I’m as well.

Let’s put the just as awfully trash introduction away first. This is the afterword. The sensitive readers can already notice it from how many words did the unnecessary trash took up. This will be quite a lengthy one as well, 9 pages.

…………

That one reader that heard it’s 9 pages and felt, “Hey, it’s not so bad this time.” Allow me to correct you once again. That standard is still pretty weird. Uh, even though I also felt “it’s not so bad” when I heard it from the editor. Suppose I’m getting used to this miserable mindset. In that case, my power level will gradually inflate like the last episode of a shonen manga. In the future, I’ll tease the Sekina Aoi that got proud of himself after writing a 16-page afterword. Moreover, perhaps, at last, the main story of <Gamers!> will only take up 2 pages. All of the remaining 300 pages will be afterwords. I don’t care if someone’s paying to publish this unprecedently ridiculous light novel.

Sigh, honestly, I think that’s a bit fun too. …It’s because I still got that eighth-grade syndrome heart that feels impressed when I heard the word “unprecedented.”

Ahem!

Forget about all that nonsense. I need to write a real afterword and talk about the story.

Personally, this volume is based on the concept that Keita Amano is in the spotlight. Uh, he’s still the protagonist. So, it’s okay for you to say Keita Amano is in the spotlight for every volume. However, he used to have a high probability of affecting things around him. However, in this volume, he decided how he’ll impact the surroundings and how he’ll face them.

…While making it sound serious, the actual content gets dragged in with a little girl and a horrifying onee-san. Stay calm, my friends who haven’t read the content yet. After you read it, you’ll realize the serious afterword is just messing with you.

So, I don’t feel like any heroine is on the main stage here. …I guess all of them are average in terms of the plot share. However, if you had to argue it from the whole picture, I think Aguri counts. I talked about the “product of love” between Amano and her, after all! Please mentally prepare yourself if you haven’t read that part yet!

…………

Uh, even though this is a PSA for readers that didn’t read it yet, at this point, I don’t think the readers will fall for the same trap in <Gamers!> Volume 8 anymore…

Sigh, whatever. Moreover, I think the readers of this novel will just cheer up with a soulless tone. “Wow, you lied to me.”

Ah, also, Tendou-san had the rare chance to play an actual game. I guess it counts as a unique feature of this volume. After all, the main story described her as a hardcore gamer. Yet, I didn’t have much of a chance to write her playing games in the past. I felt so refreshing and cheerful in the middle of my writing as well.

No matter what, this is the first volume that “Keita Amano” appeared in the subtitle ever since Volume 1. It would be my honor if everyone enjoyed it.

…Well, the author just spent a short paragraph talking about his novel. What should I do? There are over half of the pages left.

W-Well, let’s talk about the anime.

Actually, <Gamers!> had the luck to have an anime adaption released in Summer 2017. The readers who still haven’t watched it can do so with DVD, Blu-ray, or the internet. Please see it when you have time. As for the readers that already watched it, thank you.

As the author, I also experienced a very blissful 3 months. There’s nothing for me to say aside from thanks to the production team. …Seriously, all I got in terms of work is a thank-you speech. I-I’m way too useless!

Uh, actually, the original author, …or I should say me, Sekina Aoi, contributed way less to the manga and anime than the reader’s expectation! My only responsibility is to watch and express my feelings touchingly. “It’s amazing. This is super fun!” Or, I would say, “It’s amazing. …It’s really fun, …sigh.” Then, I’m the troublesome type to lose faith in my light novel. This is the original author.

…Sigh, …the anime and the manga…is really well-made. …All I can literally do…is to write random long afterwords, …sigh.

Alright, let’s put this comfort-begging stuff aside first and talk about the anime.

Naturally, the anime adaption is a video. So, there are fewer gamer memes during the monologue. In comparison, there are a bunch of easter eggs in the background or small details. Even the original author can’t list every one of them. Especially those in the OP, seriously…!

…But, how should I put it? At times like this, since I’m confident with my love of gaming, I feel really frustrated for not being able to tell every single meme.

Come to think of it, do the readers of the original <Gamers!> feel the same way sometimes? If that’s the case, I’m sincerely sorry. However, the games that appeared in the book are almost all my favorite ones. Please try them if you love gaming but haven’t tried those yet! <Gamers!> also has a list of recommendations from Sekina Aoi! …Uh, I guess it would be annoying to include them without asking for permission.

Right, speaking of games, I should talk about board games sometimes. Although the <Gamers!> anime didn’t really talk about board games (card games, non-digital games), the author sometimes plays them.

The hardest part of these games is that you have to find more people, no matter what. It’s not as convenient as digital games. In comparison, these games don’t need you to be good at using controllers. Naturally, it’s suitable to play with your relatives, not to mention friends. From a <Gamers!>’s perspective, it counts as a game where Tendou-san and Aguri can fight on equal ground. …Uh, I feel like Aguri’s better at board games (my own impression).

The unbelievable part is with the “mobile version” with the same rules and real-life board games. Those two have really different impressions. From my personal interest’s perspective, it’s more exciting to play on boards and cards. It’s really something where even a gamer like me considered that to be better.

I don’t know why that is the case too. If it’s about counting the score or preparation, some part of the mobile version feels less stressful. However, I guess you can emotionally attach more when you can touch the pieces or cards.

Ah, from this point, even though I don’t play often, it’s easier to understand with mahjong. While mahjong games are way more convenient, the texture of real mahjong pieces must have their actual worth.

…Even though the best part of mobile is that you can play with CPUs alone for a loner like me! The mobile version is the best!

…Sigh.

Well, now that I’m done with mobile, let’s talk about ways to kill time when traveling.

A guy like me will often dream when my work or trip forced me into a Shinkansen or plane for a long time. “I should read that book.” “I should try that game out.” However, I will feel this every time I got on a vehicle. “Nevermind, I’m dizzy.” “…I’m not working anyways. Should I take a nap? Hmm…” “Oh, I think we’re already here.” This happens every time.

I don’t know what’s wrong with this unable-to-use-traveling-time-efficiently syndrome. When I see the working class that is always typing information into their laptops on Shinkansen, I feel like my way of life is outdated. I want to die. Even though I have the perfect excuse of “Now’s the time to think about my light novel, yes!” I reluctantly managed to lie to myself every time.

Also, sleeping is an efficient way to kill traveling time as well, but I’m the insomniac type. It’s a pain when I can’t sleep right away on the plane. Well, it looks like I’m sleeping- The flight attendant started handing out drinks immediately right when I felt that. …Uh, it should be alright for me to ignore it temporarily. But, how should I say this? Perhaps it’s because I’m a petty person. I feel like I should always grab a drink if I’m awake.

In the end, I accomplished nothing, yet I still get motion sickness. Then, I arrive at the destination with an exhausted body. …That’s how I live.

I already don’t know what I should do.

It can’t be helped. I’m venting out this depression the next time I’m traveling. Right, I should think about the content of <Gamers!> Volume 10. So, if the relationship drama in Volume 10 is tangled up especially, “Ah, Sekina Aoi must’ve traveled…” Please forgive me, everyone. …I think Amano and his friends won’t accept this way of deciding their relationship.

Well, well, here’s the appreciation speech.

First of all, Cactus-sensei still helped create the incredible illustrations even though you’re busy with the adaptation. I’ve always appreciated you. Please continue to take care of me.

The editor’s next. I bet you’re swamped with contacts and conferences about the adaptation. After all, the original author really didn’t do anything. Thanks for your work, I mean it. Please continue to take care of me.

Also, we have the readers.

Whether you are a loyal follower or started reading after watching the anime, I sincerely appreciated your support.

The original <Gamers!> will still continue. However, I’ll always remind myself not to forget my “initial goals,” just like Amano. I hope I can create the upcoming stories sincerely. It would be my honor if everyone can continue reading. …Ah, but please relax, at least this won’t suddenly turn into a gaming duel novel in the next episode (laughs).

Well, we’ll see each other in Volume 10, which is expected to release in Spring 2018!


Sekina Aoi


Previous Chapter | Main Page | Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment