Friday, May 15, 2020

Gamers Volume 4 Chapter 2

Chapter 2 – Tasuku Uehara and Plot Intervention
Translator: your_pingas
“The true identity of NOBE…is Hoshinomori’s sister!?”

I, Tasuku Uehara, screamed loudly at the bustling burger joint.

The guy that’s sitting in front of me – Keita Amano sipped his 100 yen iced coffee as he looked around the shop curiously. Then, he answered me slowly and calmly.

“Yeah, that’s surprising, don’t you think?”

“Um, while I’m surprised…Eh, no, but you…”

I took a big shot of my coke to calm myself down, and then I grabbed a single piece of fries on the table and chewed it for a long while.

“I thought something went wrong when Amano suddenly said he wanted to meet…”

This guy…Keita Amano, who looked just the same as usual, proceeded to blast me with such a shocking fact that I’ve never expected.

“The progress between them has twisted this much already, just when I’m hesitating on how I should help Hoshinomori for these couple days…”

I chugged the coke to flush the fries down to my stomach. Then, I chose my words carefully before asking Amano for a detailed report.

Amano spent 5 minutes explaining everything up to the part where Hoshinomori’s sister showed up on the bed. Then, I laid back onto the chair and mumbled. “That’s why…”

From what I’ve heard, it seems that Hoshinomori’s identity was almost revealed unexpectedly to Keita. Then, she came up with a dumb excuse in a hurry.

Just as I’m lamenting over the stupidity of this pair of babies, Amano continued even though he’s clearly confused.

“But the litigant NOBE…Konoha-san didn’t show much of a reaction. Although she’s probably still sleepy, how should I put it? I feel like she doesn’t understand what’s going on at all.”

“I guess so.”

After all, that girl is not NOBE. How can she understand?

I’m feeling sympathetic to Hoshinomori (sister), so I grabbed some more fries and urged Amano to continue.

“Then? What followed that?”

Amano grabbed a handful of fries as well.

“Um, Chiaki dragged me out of the room. I initially wanted to tell her it’s raining only. Moreover, I guess it’s not nice to force a first-met girl to face us in her home clothes, right?”

“Sigh, I guess you’re right.”

“Then, Chiaki took all her washed clothes back and commanded me. “Do not leave the living room. Don’t even try to move a single step. Understand!” She retreated to her room after saying that…I told her that I’ll leave after I got the pass holder back…But, for some reason, Chiaki insisted she wouldn’t return it now, perhaps she’s pranking me.”

“Right…”

I knew what’s Hoshinomori thinking exactly. There’s no way for her to just let Amano go home without letting him know at least a bit of the truth.

“Then…I guess it’s around 10 minutes later? Chiaki dragged her properly-dressed sister out…Konoha-san to the living room and introduced her to me. She said her sister is both NOBE and Mono.”

“Mm-hmm, Hoshinomori’s sister…is called Konoha, right? How’s she acting like?”

“Well, let me tell you.”

Amano leaned towards me and stretched his face as he spoke.

“Initially, my first impression for Konoha is she is completely unaware of what’s going on. Also, perhaps it’s because she just woke up, I feel she’s a bit sloppy. Then, she completely changed after she appeared again. The girl answered everything I asked correctly.

“Correctly?”

“Hmm. How should I say this? Um, it’s like talking to the latest AI girl. While her answers are correct, I don’t feel she’s giving off any emotions…”

“…Right.”

This guy…Keita Amano is still just the same. His insights are through-the-roof in weird times like this. To be fair, his first impression is very accurate. Although I don’t know if Hoshinomori (sister) is acting on her sister’s behalf, she was pretending to be NOBE and Mono anyway.

…Even though Amano is more or less suspicious about this whole incident, but the girl can show a perfect AI response when she has just woken up and only had 10 minutes to prepare herself. This little kid can undoubtedly put up an excellent performance. Hoshinomori (sister)’s impressing me.

“Well, I still don’t really know what I should do with Konoha-san. When our conversation died in the middle, Chiaki helped and gave us some explanation. She told us that she just discovered this relationship recently and that she got so sneaky because of her hesitation on how to convey her thoughts…”

“Yup, what an explanation…”

An explanation for something that was entirely made up by her. Other than that, I’m sure that she wanted to clear her sister’s confusion as well.

“Then, I went home after a simple greeting…That’s the end of the story. As a result, Konoha-san and I didn’t get to chat about gaming like I wanted to.”

“Really. Well, I guess so…”

In actuality, Amano can never “chat about gaming” wither her. She is not NOBE and Mono, after all. Based on what I’ve heard, she’s just an irreverent, normal girl.

Amano looked at the burger joint and sighed as he stared at the group of teenagers happily chatting with each other.

“I feel like…I’m still confused.”

“…I guess you’re right.”

No shit, you’re just talking to the fake one. It’s natural for you to feel unsatisfied.

Amano leaned on the back of the seat and looked at the centre of the table blankly.

“…Well, I didn’t expect to become BFFs with her as soon as we see each other, anyway. Hmm, but what’s with this feeling…”

Perhaps Amano couldn’t give an answer to himself. He looks embarrassed now.

“…What do I want…what should I do…”

“Well…”

I tried to say something, but ultimately I remained quiet because I can’t really give any advice now.

“…If Amano knew that Chiaki Hoshinomori is who NOBE and Mono really are, I guess he’ll be genuinely happier than he is now.”

It’s hard to say from the past. But, recently, Amano and Hoshinomroi’s aren’t that bad anymore. Perhaps it’s because both sides realized that the only point they couldn’t agree on is with moe characters. So, they won’t really pick a dumb fight nowadays. That is why Hoshinomroi doesn’t feel disgusted explicitly when she knew that Amano is both Yama-san and Tsucchi.

Amano must’ve felt the same. If he realized Hoshinomori is who he had talked to on the internet, I say he’ll be 20% surprised and 80% glad that to know the truth.

However, Amano is different from Hoshinomori, he didn’t acquire this sense of joy.

Instead, a completely different person replaced his hard-earned relationship with some fake conversations.

“…………”

As his friend, I felt terrible for Amano, it’s like watching an idiot got persuaded to buy counterfeit goods. Although he’s suspicious of what he just bought, the guy ended figuring out that maybe it’s just his problem.

However…I can’t reveal the truth to the poor soul now. It’s because this is Hoshinomori’s choice. Hoshinomori carried the same complicated emotion that Amano does, if not more. Still, she decided that this is the best for both worlds.

I rubbed the back of my neck and hesitated before mumbling.

“Um…hmm…so…well…h-how do you feel about Konoha as a girl?”

“What do you mean?”

“Welp…for example…is she cute…?”

“…………”

“Hey, what’s with that look?”

“No, it’s nothing. Uehara-kun, you sure are energetic…”

“Eh, what do you mean by that!”

“Uh, I really respect you. Honestly, as a man, you’re really fascinating. To put it this way, Uehara-kun, you’re really an ant if you are in that Ant and Cricket fable…”

“Yo, don’t try to paint me as a lewd dude that only puts in the effort to chase after girls. Also, please don’t refer to The Ant and Cricket in situations like this! That was meant to be a “good story” between us!”

“Well, how about…The North Wind and the Sun, you’re like the Sun, Uehara-kun!”

“Oi, you just picked that fable because it involves undressing people!”

“How about The Tortoise and the Hare? If a hare is sleeping in an adorable position, you’ll be the tortoise that slowly and silently creeps on her.”

“What kind of metaphor is this!? Why are you treating the tortoise as if he’s a rapist!? Picking on me with all these twisted Aesop fables analyses, what do you want from me!?”

“If you’re in The Bat, the Beast, and the Bird…”

“Stop! The Bat that pretends to be in the same league as the Bird and the Beast. I can’t think of a good metaphor, no matter how you put it!”

After I barraged him with a wave of complaints, Amano finally stopped his Aesop-style attack and asked.

“Then why are you asking me how do I feel about Konoha-san’s appearance? She being cute or not has nothing to do with this. Right?”

“W-Well…”

I-It’s hard to explain. After all…

“I’m considering the possibility of Amano falling for Konoha…how can I say this.”

In reality, Hoshinomori certainly felt in love when she knew that Amano is Yama-san and Tsucchi…I mean, I’m not 100% sure, but at least she looked like she has a similar feeling.

Then, if Amano’s the male counterpart of Hoshinomori…I thought that he’ll more or less be moved if the girl that he’s chatting on the internet with is cute…

“Um, think about it, Hoshinomori brags about her sister from time to time. I wanted to know what’s actually going on.”

Amano answered my question reluctantly after I gave him a far-fetched reason.

“Ay…in terms of appearance, you’re right. I think Konoha-san is an adorable girl, so cute to the point that it’s not exaggerating to use the term beauty.”

“…Then, are you falling for the girl?”

“Huh?”

Amano tilted his head explicitly. He even gave me an “Are you an idiot?” vibe. A sincere reaction. Good, I’m going to punch someone later.

“Did you even listen to me? Konoha-san and I just chatted for a little bit.”

“Even so…she’s still both NOBE and Mono, which are really meaningful to you, right? This means that you two have abundantly interacted with each other on a spiritual level. Then, you found out that she’s a beautiful girl of your age when both of you meet…It’s unnatural to not have any feelings for her, right?”

If the guy likes the girl’s appearance and personality, it’s weird to not have any feelings. But, Amano pulled a long face for some reason.

“Well, I do like NOBE and Mono, and I think Konoha-san’s pretty cute and responsible…”

Then, Amano frowned and crossed his arms as he mumbled.

“Sigh…you’re right, Uehara-kun. You have a point. Usually, I would fall for her in a situation like this, at least if we’re in a rom-com.”

“Right?”

“Yep…this makes sense in every way possible…”

Amano scratched his head, he found that it’s unbelievable for himself as well.

“…How should I say this? Hmm…but the great premise of all of this is that Tendou-san already had the only sublime place in my heart.”

“Alright.”

Someone just showed off their love to me, but whatever.

“To be honest, I’m both glad and honoured to know that the identity of NOBE and Mono are shared by the same person. But…I can’t seem to project those emotions towards Konoha-san. So, she’s only “Chiaki’s sister” to me right now…”

“…………”

Amano scratched his head like he’s reconsidering as he said that.

“Ah, but I guess I’m being really fickle. After all, the girl is basically my saviour, whom I chatted frequently…while being the game developer that I respect from the bottom of my heart. Then, I only carried this kind of uncertain feelings towards her when we get to meet face-to-face. Sigh, how much of an introverted and weak coward do I have to be…”

…I still can’t say anything to Amano.

“Amano…no doubt you can’t project your feelings to the girl. Your idea is exactly right.”

Honestly, I wanted to tell him that, but…

“…Can I really complain about Hoshinomori’s decision when I’m in a position like this…?”

I chose to spectate when I knew their relationship from the start. Then, at last, under the influence of this bastard named Tasuku Uehara…the situation evolved into what can only be called unfortunate for both of them.

“I’m not allowed to intervene. Right now, my grasp on the situation is the exact same as Hoshinomori. If that’s the case, the problem should be handled by the person in question. If there’s anything that a spectator like me can do, that’ll be…”

I drank the cola and made up my mind. Then, I spoke solemnly.

“Hey, you already got an incredible girlfriend named Karen Tendou. Now’s not the time to be wordy with other girls, right?”

“Eh? No, I don’t mean that at all…Ah, but I guess you’re right. If I had already found out that the girl is the same age as me, it’d be problematic to just interact with her in the way that we did on the net…”

I paused Amano’s mumble and continued.

“Don’t you think this part can be kept as it is? You can directly treat NOBE and Mono like you used to be. Then, you just avoid contacting the actual Konoha, that'll work.”

But then, Amano tilted his head confusingly at my suggestion.

“Eh? Personally…I liked your idea. But, although that’s just getting closer to a girl you know on the internet and in real life, I still feel like that’s a bad thing for a guy with a girlfriend to do, right…?”

“What’re you talking about, Amano? I will often chat with girls other than Aguri as well. Not to mention that you’re still chatting with Hoshinomori and Aguri.”

“That’s because I know both people already…”

“It’s the same. If you can accept that, it’s nothing for you to chat with people on the internet, right? Just keep the relationship. You’re not looking for anything else, anyway.”

“Um, hmm, eh…really? It’ll be fantastic if I can keep it as it is. Ah, but, I guess I need to explain this to Tendou-san first-“

“No, no, you don’t need to. I think Tendou will just get upset if you went out of your way and tell her.”

“…Really? Um, yeah, I guess this feels a bit too self-conscious…”

Just as Amano felt distressed, I finished all my fries at once and lifted my plate before leaving my seat.

“So, you just keep chatting with NOBE and Mono as you’ve always been! Don’t meet with Konoha! Don’t report to Tendou! Everything will be fine that way! Alright, dismissed!”

“Eh? W-Wait a second, Uehara-kun, I still haven’t finished my coffee-“

“Just go, Amano.”

“W-Wait for me!” *chugs coffee* *coughs loudly*

Amano didn’t have time to question my conclusion, so he finished his coffee quickly and stood up.

I gave him a mischievous grin before I put the plate back onto the recycling area and walked out of the burger joint.

The slightly malfunctioned auto-door is reflecting the bitter face of a despicable bat.

*

A week after that.

You asked what I am doing during this time? Well, to put it simply, I just cherished this beautiful summer holiday.

I worked in a relaxing part-time job for a while and went out with my girlfriends and others. I stayed home and played games when there’s no schedule for the day. I even decided to go on an overseas trip with my family a few days later.

It’s relaxing, joyous, blessing, and cheerful, …which is why I feel a sense of longing sometimes. I have to game even more just to get this out of my head to go through a typical day.

“…It’s over.”

I mumbled while I sat on the bed of my room. The screen is showing credits that are presented boringly. I let out a sigh as I put away the game.

“…………”

I caressed my slightly-longer beard as I stared at the credits screen with names that I’ll never remember. While I spent 40 hours to reach the end, I don’t really feel anything at all.

This game is not that boring, though. The relaxing combat and training system is quite compelling, I can’t help but finish all content before I won the game.

However, because I’ve already done everything, this made the boss fight not exciting in the least bit. Although it’s purely because my team was too overpowered to the point that it turned the combat into a slaughter, I can’t really immerse myself in the mind of the protagonist. Mostly because I left the main story to finish side quests.

Also, when the full-level protagonist and his friends are facing the practically useless final boss-

“Ow! He’s too strong!” “How can we even defeat him…”

Lines like this really ruined the game for me. If I’m challenging the boss on the standard level, I guess it’ll be quite exciting. Then, I realized this is just a game. There’s no way for me to feel excited about the main story with a mindset like this.

I can tell the credit scenes aren’t over yet from the BGM, So, I grabbed my phone just to kill time.

“…Come to think of it, I didn’t contact with Amano and Hoshinomori recently at all…”

Well, I mean we don’t really message each other often. But, our relationship has weakened because we don’t get to see each other at school in the summer holiday…no, wait.

“…I’m hiding from them. That’s perhaps the reason…”

Usually, I would hold a Game Hobby Club meet-up in times like this. However, I don’t feel like doing that at all right now…

…………

“Oh, it’s over already…

Once I snapped out of it, the credits on the TV screen has already finished playing, and the game went back to the title screen. But, if it’s going back to the title screen at the end without an epilogue, why did I just spend a few minutes staring at a bunch of strange names?

I turned off the console, and the room returned to silence.

“…Jeez…”

I decided to go out and take a walk to get the depression out of my head.

Most of the thugs around here are my friends- that’s obviously not true. But, I, who know a bunch of people, should be easily able to meet up with people in downtown, not to mention we’re on a summer holiday.

“W-Why I can’t see anyone today…?”

Aguri’s date with me will often be interrupted by my friends. Then, they disappear when I’m looking for them. What is this madness?

“The enemy encounter system for my life is way too broken…”

This sounds like a metaphor Amano would say. I guess it’s because I’ve been playing RPGs lately.

I wiped the sweats from my forehead with the back of my hand. Then, one of the drops fell onto my rather-new sneakers. I can’t help but frown and walked quickly to ease my anger.

“…I ended up feeling even more pissed, this walk didn’t help at all.”

My mood isn’t going to lighten up by wandering around aimlessly. But, it’s not like I have a clear goal anyway.

After a while, I decided to head to the arcade.

“Playing games while I’m at home, still playing games while I’m out…was I like this in the past?”

While I did like gaming from the start, but this is clearly under the influence of Amano and Hoshinomori.

Well, I did have a good time with them in the Game Hobby Club…

“Also, I don’t feel like gaming is as fun as they’ve described.”

Amano and Hoshinomori are gamers from birth. Although they aren’t experienced, they are the type of players that love gaming indiscriminately.

So, the default line of their conversation is, “That part of the game is fun!” “This part’s awesome!” “This plot is certainly touching!” They’ll become more and more excited, and would often skip away from the negative aspects. So, I will naturally feel, “Hey, that seems interesting!” and try to play it. Then, I will find out that it’s not that compelling at all.

After that, when I’m expressing my dissatisfaction with them, those two will just pretend there’s nothing wrong and say, “Um, you’re right. That game is not that famous nor outstanding.” Honestly, while I’m pissed, they really meant that in a kind-hearted way.

That’s the one thing I’ve not realized until recently. Amano and Hoshinomori’s gaming commentaries are several times more interesting than the actual game that they’re talking about.

This is like a veteran movie fan recommending a B-grade production. It’ll be hilarious to complain about it, but when you actually watch it…sigh, it’s a dull movie. This is the feeling I’m getting.

However, when the fans that shared the same hobbies are chatting, they’ll get so excited to the point where others will be envious of them.

I smiled without realizing it when the memories of the Game Hobby Club showed up In my mind.

“Man, I really wanted to listen to their recommendations again and watch them talk-“

-But then, I immediately realized.

“…Perhaps the two wouldn’t have a chance to chat like this anymore…”

Hoshinomori kept her huge secret and lie.

Amano will hold back on talking to other girls when he got Tendou as his girlfriend.

They…can never happily chat like they’ve used to be.

…Then I…

“…No, this is wrong. This isn’t something that I should worry about. I’m too arrogant. The two are the ones who get to decide, I must not intervene.”

I shook my head to try and clear all these thoughts away. Then, I dashed towards the arcade, seemingly to try and escape from something.

*

I usually play fighting games when I’m alone in the arcade.

After all, I’ll be in the claw crane section when Aguri is here, and my friends will usually play whatever our mood wishes. However, I’ll always go for fighting games when I’m alone. Although I don’t play that much at home, I find it compelling for some reason once I stepped into the arcade.

“This is THE arcade, after all…”

To be honest, fighting games are no longer the head honchos of arcades nowadays. However, I still feel like “Hey, I’m in an arcade” the most when I’m sitting in front of a fighting game machine.

After I entered the building, I searched for a familiar face as I walked towards the electronic toy area. There’re only a few customers, not to mention friends.

As for the fighting game machine area, all I can see is a person wearing a short-sleeved hoodie with the hood covering his face only. He is controlling the joystick masterfully while radiating a professional aura, though.

I went around the person quietly and picked my machine somewhere a bit further…I don’t dislike combating other people, but I never went out of my way to try and challenge someone other than my friends.

So, I found a machine for a new game that’s out of that customer’s sight.

Perfect. I immediately sat down and took out a couple 100-yen coins to play.

“Right, Amano did combat me on fighting games before, even though it’s not this game…”

That day is what made us talk to each other often like we’re right now. I’m sure yearning over that even though it was just a couple months ago.

“…But, that guy surely sucked.”

People often say that love is what makes you improve. However, I don’t see that at all on the dude and his games. Amano seems to play combat games with his little brother as well, so he shouldn’t be extremely inexperienced by any means. Why does he still suck then?

I started playing even though I’m thinking about all this. I pick my characters based on their appearance. This time, I chose a teenage boy who’s playing cool. Well, I’m not here to hone my skills anyways. I’m here to switch up my mood. If that’s the case, I can abandon all ground rules at the start and just play as I wished to. This is my personal opinion.

This play-cool teenage guy is unexpectedly easy to use, though. The game mechanics are very traditional as well, so I went through the levels smoothly.

However, I’m starting to feel stress once I reached the 4th round. While I’m not as weak as Amano, I’m not that confident or talented. Moreover, this is my first time playing this.

I somehow managed to go through the 4th round with a lot of luck. However, if this continues, I’ll probably lose at the 5th round.

In this two-wins-in-three-rounds system, I got demolished by the AI in the first level, who still got over half of its HP remaining.

With a no-retreat second round, my spirit heightens, and I managed to chip half of my opponent’s HP away, but my character is about to die. It’ll lose HP gradually even if I go full-on defence. In dire situations like this, my only chance at victory is with a sudden and intense attack. Just as I’m about to do that, suddenly-

“Hmm?”

The screen suddenly changed. I thought something went wrong, but then it was nothing. Someone just inserted a coin and challenged me. I guess it’s the guy with the hoodie. Moreover, there’s no one nearby.

I guess he helped me a little. Then, just as this thought appeared in my head, I heard a loud greeting coming from the opposite side of the machine.

“Nice to meet you.”

“Eh? Oh, okay, nice to meet you too…”

I responded while feeling confused, but not because I was greeted by a stranger. While that is quite rare, I have more or less encountered that situation when I’m in the arcade.

What I’m baffled about is that…

“…A girl?”

The greeting is short, but that was really a girl’s voice. Come to think of it, the arms coming up from her hoodie is slim and beautiful. But, I just treated her as a guy because I saw her controlling skills earlier.

“Well, it’s not like I’ll hesitate anyways…”

This is not one of those situations where you have to hold back because she’s a girl. I’ll do that when I’m up against Aguri to make both of us happy. However, my opponent is clearly an expert. There’s no room for me to do that.

I still stuck to the play-cool teenager even though I can re-select my character. On the other hand, the girl chose a hilarious looking teddy bear.

“Yo, is she showing mercy to me instead?”

Although I’m not sure of the abilities that the teddy bear has, that doesn’t look like a standard character no matter how you look at it.

I glanced at the moves table on the machine and found out her character has a bunch of moves with weird names. Also, the combos are tough to pull off.

“…Bruh, what the hell?”

I’m a bit pissed. I’m just here to try and lighten the mood. Yet, I’m about to be slaughtered by an expert stranger in a despising manner. You’ve got to be kidding me.

I sat tight on the chair and straightened my back.

“…Alright, I’ll focus and fight.”

Somehow, I’m miraculously feeling a sense of hype swarming in me. I’ve never felt this for a while. I don’t want to lose. No, even if I will, I won’t go down without a fight.

I entered the field with a high spirit.

“FIGHT!”

So, I rapidly pressed the controls as soon as the first round started and spammed energy balls far-away. Don’t have time to care for my image.

“I’m sorry, this is going to be lame, but I have to keep my distance from you!”

Spamming wide-range attacks to a melee character certainly looks lame, but it’s reasonable.

Just like what I’ve expected, the opponent’s bear can only choose to defend, its HP is slowly decreasing under my attack.

I kept using the same moves. I knew that this isn’t fun for both parties, but I really need to take my anger out on someone right now.

“Well, to be honest, she’ll immediately figure out a way to close in our distance anyway…”

This tactic is pretty cliché. Games nowadays will more or less consider the balance. So, if this isn’t an invincible strategy, professionals can easily breakthrough this cheap move. It was supposed to be like this.

“Strange?”

Surprisingly, the teddy bear can’t attack smoothly. Thanks to this, I was able to chip away 1/3 of my opponent’s HP.

At this stage, I can’t help but feel baffled.

The big pretence for me to use this tactic is that it’ll be countered within a few seconds, so I feel pretty insecure when it looks like I’m dominating over her.

“Don’t tell me this game doesn’t consider balance at all. If that’s the case…”

I stopped spamming my attacks. Suddenly-

“WHA-“

The bear broke through the stalemate and started rapidly closing in with its agility and defence.

“Shit, she knew how to combat this all along!”

I immediately switched the energy ball to a melee move, but the teddy bear blocked all my attacks spectacularly.

Right away, my character lost a bunch of HP as it was punched repeatedly by the teddy bear with its melee attacks.

“Crap, she’ll win if this continues!”

I can tell she is a veteran from her smooth actions. I’ll lose if she hits me a couple more times with this distance. Although I’m prepared for this outcome…

“Huh…?”

The teddy bear moved away from my character again, I still don’t understand what the girl is trying to pull off. Is she underestimating me? But, she’s showing off her incredible skills after we started fighting again. She’s obviously giving it her all.

We repeated this strange style of fighting for a couple times. Of course, I lost the first round. The teddy bear is jumping happily on the screen.

However, surprisingly, I’m not that angry anymore. Also, I don’t feel as hopeless with the giant gap between our skills.

“Well, I chipped away half of her HP after all.”

I can still win. Although my opponent used a strange strategy, I don’t feel like I’m disrespected.

So, I entered the 2nd round, feeling somewhat unbelievable…

“…I…won…”

I managed to beat the teddy bear with only 1 HP left. To be honest, the girl is clearly superior when it comes to accuracy and other aspects. However, it’s still not impossible for me to win. How should I put this? Her battle style is erratic.

“Ah…right, this person doesn’t follow the meta in the slightest.”

There are a bunch of moves in fighting games that are deemed the meta. Just like Go or Chess, you’ll be somewhat successful if you followed a specific meta. For a more extreme example, there are a bunch of cheap/infinite tactics that can obliterate your opponent without giving them the chance of retaliation. Of course, you’ll have to execute the commands correctly. (All of them would be more or less fixed in a later patch, though.)

So, my impression for a “fighting game expert” is that they can recite all these metas at the back of their head. They knew a bunch of reliable ways that can give them the upper hand and use them effectively based on the situation.

There’s no way for a newbie like me to defeat a person with skills like this. So, that’s why I’m prepared to be slaughtered when I knew that she’s an expert. However…

For some reason, this girl entirely abandoned the meta.

“She’s still a professional, though. I feel like she’s not holding back utterly…”

This feeling of combat is unbelievable…Nah, I’ll just say it.

To be honest, I’m having a great time. This is different from what I’ve experienced with Amano or Hoshinomori…This is what you call tryharding, I don’t dislike it at all, though. Instead, I’m honoured to be able to face off an incredible expert seriously.

So, here comes the final round.

Once I snapped out of it, I realized that I’m smiling while challenging that bear. Right away, while I’m not utterly pinned down, but I’m getting rekted painfully right now.

“…Haha.”

I stared at the screen showing my character’s defeat as I let out a laugh…This is the first time that I enjoyed losing a fighting game match.

I stood up from my seat and grabbed my belongings as I prepare to leave. I gave the girl a goodbye when I passed the opposite position.

“Thanks for the match. Hey, you’re incredible. I really enjoyed it.”

“Ah, no sweat.”

The hoodie-wearing girl gave me a trained response before immediately looking back at her fight with the AI.

I wanted to leave directly. However, the girl unexpectedly called me instead.

“You’re not bad as well. That was a good round. Thank you.”

“Eh? It’s really not…”

Honestly, my skills are definitely not worthy of being praised by an expert. That’s why I stopped walking and asked her confusingly.

She moved the joystick to combat the AI as she explained to me, who’s dumbfounded.

“It’ll be an excellent practice to compete with a gamer that evaluates his/her attacks.”

“Um. But I’m a beginner.”

“That’s fine. If we’re just talking about an opponent for training, you’re even rarer than those who call themselves a veteran while being a slave of the meta only.”

The girl in a hoodie affirmed simply. This person looks cool, to be honest.

I suddenly felt like now’s not the time to leave, so I went around to the girl’s back and watched her fighting the Ais…Eh?

“…Wow, you’re awesome…”

The girl beautifully knocked down the AI opponent’s character. Her moves are so fascinating that it made suspect how did she lose one round to me before. She didn’t give me a mean attitude. Instead, she replied calmly.

“Honestly, I’m not really focusing right now.”

“You’re tougher when you’re not focusing? Isn’t that strange?”

“Nope. This is just using what I’ve learned already. On the contrary, I’ve to focus when I’m learning new things, and I’ll make mistakes as well. It’s all trial and error. That’s why I was weaker.”

“R-Really…that’s why…”

She didn’t destroy me with a series of metas while maintaining this seriousness. That’s why I don’t feel disrespected on.

I was sincerely convinced as I mumbled.

“I feel like…you’re invincible. That’s why you’re an expert…I can never hope to match you.”

She didn’t feel particularly excited and just answered plainly.

“Do you? Basically, I should have the same attitude as you when it comes to gaming. It’s just that our time spent and level of passion are different. If we’re talking about the difference in skills, you should probably ask my junior…”

The girl suddenly paused as if she remembered something.

She asked me this after a while.

“Right, I haven’t asked for your name yet.”

“Eh? You mean…name?”

I didn’t expect someone who I just knew for 5 minutes to ask for my name, so I freaked out a little bit. Then, I stammered my name out because I didn’t really have time to think.

“I-I’m U-Uehara…”

“Umehara? Going with such an alias, you sure are not afraid of anything…” [Note: Daigo Umehara, “the god of 2D fighting games,” the most successful player in major tournaments of Street Fighter in the Guinness World Records.]

“It’s Uehara! My name is Uehara! It’s not my alias…”

I tilted my head dumbfoundedly. The girl turned her head around when she’s taking a break.

“Oh, sorry, that’s your actual name? Ay, I thought you were referring to your alias because you’re giving me the impression that you spent a lot of time in the arcade.”

“Oh, t-that’s why…”

“I’m really sorry. Sigh, I can’t continue like this. I’ve been utterly poisoned by the industry.”

“It’s fine, I should be the one to apologize…”

I’m just embarrassing myself to give her my real name in this setting. I scratched my head regretfully. So, the girl gave me a smile and took her hoodie off.

It’s a surprisingly beautiful girl. Just as I stared at her because I lost words, she gave me a suspicious look while smiling gently.

“I’m Oiso. Nina Oiso. That’s my real name. It’s fair now.”

*

“Eh? You’re my senpai, and you’re from the Game Club as well?”

“Yeah, you’re right. By the way, you’re in Otobuki as well, Fake Umehara?”

10 minutes after that game. We’re now chilling at the vending machine area of the arcade. Both of us are leaning against the wall while drinking from our cans.

I chugged my ginger cola while watching the 6th graders yelling around the card combat machine that has gained a lot of popularity recently.

“Yep…what a coincidence.”

“That’s too much. It’s easy to meet someone from the same school when you’re hanging around the streets on a summer holiday.

Nina-senpai drank her Dr Pepper as she said that depressingly. This is just a side note, but she asked me to call her Nina-senpai. She seems to use the alias “Nina” when she’s in the arcade.

Also, speaking of aliases…

“Fake Umehara, you’re from year 2 right.”

“Yeah, you’re right…Uh, by the way, can you stop calling me that please?”

“What do you mean? Oh, Fake Umehara? No, I’m not changing that. It’s easy to remember.”

“But that’s not giving people a good first impression at all, right? I don’t want to be remembered with a fake alias…”

“You’re not convinced to be an imposter? Then, how about…the True Umehara, the Original Umehara, or True Hit Umehara. Pick one.”

“What kind of options are these? You’re making it sounds like we’re in Yo-kai Watch right now. My real name isn’t even Umehara. No sane person can call themselves with that. Sigh, whatever, just call me Fake Umehara.”

“Really? That’s good…Yep, that’s a nice alias, it’s easy to memorize and fun.”

Nina-senpai answered me calmly. She just decided to call me the Fake Umehara because she heard it wrong for the first time…Aliases are scary.

I poured more ginger cola down my throat and began to speak again.

“Compared to senpai studying in Otobuki, I’m more shocked to know that you’re in that Game Club.”

“You’re shocked because I’m in the Game Club? Why?”

“Uh, my friend had some issues with the Game Club. His name is Amano…”

Nina-senpai’s eyes bulged a little as she gave me a suspicious look after my answer.

“So you’re his friend. That makes sense, you two are both in year 2.”

“We’re in the same class. Also, I’m surprised to know that you remembered the guy, Nina-senpai. You and Amano should have only met each other once during his visit to the club, right?”

“Sigh, he’s now our Tendou’s boyfriends after all.”

“So that’s why…but then…”

“Tendou often shows off her love in the club innocently…”

“R-Right…”

I can imagine the picture. I’m sorry, senpai.

“Ah, but even if that wasn’t a thing…that guy is still giving me a big impression.”

I was quite shocked and found this unbelievable. So I can’t help but ask for more details.

“You mean Amano? I know this isn’t nice to say, but don’t you think he doesn’t stand out from the crowd at all?”

“Ah, you’re right. The guy’s really humble. The same goes for his gaming skills, dull and incompetent. He’s like those guys that wanted to play but can’t get good at all that are everywhere.”

“Hmm…”

She’s not wrong, but I can’t really respond to her. As a friend, I wanted to support Amano, but he really sucked, so…

Just as I’m feeling tied up for the moment-

“However, I’m…a bit envious of him.”

I can’t believe Nina-senpai just said what I’ve always wanted to. When I’m surprised, Nina-senpai glanced at the 6th graders that are cheering around the arcade.

“…To me, the best part about gaming is the moment that you knew you’ve improved. So, I really don’t understand people that own others with a single meta or people that taunt after they smurf. These people aren’t trying to improve at all. I really wanted to ask them: Is that even fun?”

“Yeah, I get it.”

I go to the arcade often, so, naturally, I’ll have a couple bad memories. To be fair, that’s something that you get to experience in an arcade only.

“But, when that Amano guy mustered up his courage and rejected our invitation, while our reaction is not as ridiculous as Tendou’s, Kase and I were quite shocked as well. How should I put it…To be honest. We kind of…despised his gaming style.

Her words hit me, it hurts a little. Nina-senpai then continued.

“A person like this carried a firm belief that can rival ours just rejected the invitation. This is weird now that I think about it, but we only started seeing who the guy really am after that. To put it this way, I realized that I subconsciously became so focused on other people’s “gaming skills” only, this feels embarrassing. But, that was too late in every possible sense. As a result, Kase and I don’t get to meet him at all. It’s giving me goosebumps when I think about Keita Amano every time.”

“That’s why.”

I felt the same way. By the way, although I’ve heard the guy rejecting the invitation, I didn’t know that his sharp rejection was under the stares from such bold members. What’s with the weird courage?

“Even so, my gaming style didn’t really change at all. Although I can accept the guy focus on entertainment, I feel like I shouldn’t reject my own way for enjoyment.”

“Oh, I think Amano will understand as well.”

“I guess so. That’s precisely why Kase and I felt a bit pissed.”

“I know that feeling. I feel pissed whenever I was convinced by a guy like Amano.”

“That’s right.”

Nina-senpai and I smiled at each other. It was not until now that I realized this person is a beauty. I can’t help but to flustered for a little. That’s why…

“By the way, why did I just randomly chat to a beautiful girl and enjoy it? Isn’t this the exact reason that made Aguri worried about me?”

“What’s wrong, Fake Umehara? You are scratching your hair so intensely.”

“It’s nothing, I’m just scared that I’ll turn into a celebrity completely…”

“Sorry, what? You sound disgusting. Please tell me that was a joke, Fake Umehara.”

Nina-senpai is terrified. I switched back to my standard expression as I spoke nobly.

“I’m just kidding.”

“Uwah…then, you aren’t talented at all.”

“Ah, so senpai’s affection for me will drop no matter what I say.”

“Yeah, you were stuck after you said that.”

“Hmm. What should I do to save…”

I just suddenly realized in the middle of my speech. Uh, what the hell am I talking about?

Why do I have to fight for girls’ affection other than Aguri? Tasuku Uehara, isn’t this your biggest issue? You really need to stop being so smooth and slick. Being kind and gentle to everyone will just cause you to owe someone that is the closest to you. You hurt…Aguri.

-During this time, perhaps it’s because I looked down on the floor with a serious expression on my face. Nina-senpai, who loses her cool rarely, freaked out as she apologized.

“Ah. S-Sorry, Fake Umehara. I didn’t mean to hurt you this deeply…”

“Eh? Oh, it’s not like that. I’m just thinking of a girl that has nothing to do with senpai.”

“…Oh. Fake Umehara, should I treat you like an enemy character?”

“Why would you! My hobby isn’t hurting girls’ feeling! I’m not Amano!”

“Dragging your friend down in times like this, don’t you feel like you’re a scumbag?”

“No! You misunderstood! Please believe me, Nina-senpai.”

“Fake Umehara…”

“Ah, but please don’t fall for me who’s too handsome at this point!”

“Don’t worry about it. Fake Umehara, your reputation in my heart couldn’t be any lower right now.”

“Phew, that’s great. It’ll be a big problem if senpai fell in love with me, after all!”

It’s because Nina-senpai is really beautiful, and a kind person. That’s why I wanted to smooth things over and say that. However, senpai is trembling for some reason…is it because she remembered how she broke up with someone?

“…Fake Umehara, you’re incredible. This is the first time in my life that I’ve felt such intense emotion in my heart.

“Oh? Is it an omen for love? That was dangerous.”

“Yeah, I agree about the dangerous part. Luckily, I don’t have a knife with me.”

“Knife?”

Is she meaning that it’s lucky that her red strings of fate weren’t cut apart? Nina-senpai is so caressing. But, I won’t be moved since I have Aguri already.

However, I can’t continue chatting with senpai so intimately. I finished my canned drink and tossed the can to the bin next to the vending machine. Then, I looked at Nina-senpai.

“Well..I think that’s all for today. Thank you very much, senpai.”

After I said this, Nina-senpai, who just crushed her empty can with his hand, immediately calmed down and answered.

“Oh, really? Yeah, thanks for combating me. No one is showing up today, you’re a great help.”

I was a bit shocked at senpai’s sudden appreciation. Suddenly, I can’t help but ask.

“Um, can I ask one last offensive question?”

“Yeah. Nothing can be more offensive than what did you just said.”

“Thank you, senpai. I wanted to ask…Nina-senpai, how can you be so immersed in gaming?”

“Hmm?”

I promptly continued after I saw Nina-senpai tilted her head in confusion.

“N-No, I don’t mean to disrespect video games. But, while that’s true, it’s just games after all. We treat them as entertainment. So, I was thinking, a beautiful girl like you should have a lot of alternatives for entertainment, right…?”

My current situation is that I almost lost everything because I was too smooth and slick. To try and look for a hint that can break this status quo, I asked Nina-senpai sincerely, who had a completely different experience than me.

So, Nina-senpai threw her empty can to the trash bin as she gave me a “Hmm…”

“…Do I really have to answer? I feel that’s already up in the air all along.”

“Up in the air? Um…do you mean…you have nothing else to do?”

“No. Even I like enjoying gourmet food, watching mangas, and chat with my friends. I’m just an average person, after all.”

“If that’s the case…then why do you spend so much time in gaming…?”

“Please, of course.”

Then, Nina-senpai gave me a shy smile before answering.

“It’s because I love it. I love it to the point that I won’t feel regret to sacrifice something for it.”

“…………”

“It’s regretful now that I’m thinking of it, an ordinary person like me can only get so many resources. I’m not strong enough to grasp everything in my hand. So, if I wanted to chase after the things that I liked sincerely, I’ll more or less realize the costs that come with it.”

“…So, the reason that senpai likes gaming so much is it because you’re talented in fighting games after all?”

Nina-senpai laughed loudly at my answer.

“Not at all. I think I’m not talented at all. The evidence is that my win rate is horribly low when a new game comes out, I can’t even bring myself to look at it.”

“Then, why will senpai…”

“I said it already. It’s because I love it.”

Nina-senpai answered firmly. For some reason, her face reminded me of Amano and Aguri.

“If you wish to get 1st place of something you love, is talent really all that important?”

“…………”

Suddenly, Aguri’s image came into my mind. Even when I’m suspecting her falling for Amano, did I really think of admitting defeat and quit?

Nina-senpai continued.

“That way, the only option left is to advance forward, right? You have to find someone more durable than you and let him defeat you to improve. You don’t have time to be excited over winning someone weaker than you. It’s because I knew that this temporary victory isn’t something I wanted. Instead, I wish to win over my success. The thing that I absolutely wanted the most is to acknowledge that the current me is tougher than the one in the past.”


Wanted to acknowledge that the current me is stronger…really…currently, can I identify myself with that? Up until a moment ago, I can guarantee that I’m a thousand times better than the nerd that I was in the past. In reality, I admit that my appearance looks way better now.

However… is this really the case? Have I lost the edges that I only had when I was a nerd?

Just as I’m trapped in this labyrinth of thoughts, Nina-senpai kept on talking about her views objectively like she has nothing to do with it.

“So, if there’s a summary for my gaming style. It’ll probably be winning something that I wanted via realizing the cost that comes with it and never painting a limit for myself. Well, to be fair, I didn’t really go out of my way and analysis it.”

“Realizing the sacrifice, and then don’t paint a limit for yourself as you chase after something you want…really.”

At that moment, I feel like…I found out what I’ve been missing lately.

Nina-senpai is already leaving as I raised my head up.

I immediately shouted at senpai’s back

“Um…thank you very much, senpai! I had my lesson there!”

“Alright.”

Nina-senpai only raised her hand as a response before leaving chicly.

I glanced at her back, then…

“…Right.”

I made up my mind as I clenched my fist.

*

“So, Uehara-kun, what’s wrong? You suddenly said you wanted to meet with me…”

“Yep…”

The afternoon after the day I talked to Nina-senpai. On the contrary of last time, this time I was the one who wanted Amano to meet me at the park instead. I sat on the bench that oversees the fountain with my arms on my legs. My hands are crossed in front of my mouth, along with a serious expression on my face.

Amano asked me worriedly after he looked at my unusual behaviour.

“I-Is there an accident between you and Aguri-san…?”

“No, it’s not that. Aguri went on a trip with her family. There would be no accident if we didn’t meet.”

“Oh, really.”

“Didn’t Aguri tell you?”

“Of course, I never meet up with her after we played that game of life.”

“R-Really.”

I let out a sigh as a relief. Although I’m not genuinely suspicious of these two cheating behind me, I’ll still feel uncomfortable when the two are talking to each other intimately.

Amano then followed after I feel relaxed. He’s dumbfounded.

“If we’re not talking about Aguri-san…Ah, is it because you got stuck in a level?”

“I say…which game and which level will I stuck on that caused me to give you such a serious expression?”

“Hmm…For example, maybe when you kept trying but just can’t get over the first Goomba in Mario?”

“That’s horrible! I feel like your brain is alerting you! But that’s not true!”

“Sorry, I don’t think I’ll be any help if we’re not talking about games…”

“Don’t be so self-abased! A-Anyway…”

I felt better after I let out a big sigh. At the same time, I stated why I really wanted to talk to Amano.

“The only reason that I’m calling you out today…is to talk about your relationship.”

“…Um, well…?”

Amano scratched his cheeks embarrassingly as he looked at the surroundings.

“…What’s wrong?”

“Eh? I-It’s nothing. I’m just thinking, is there a camera from Terrace House recording us?” [Note: Terrace House, a famous reality TV show in Japan where 3 men and women will live under the same roof while getting to know and date each other.]

“Uh, I’ve realized this myself. As your male friend, the topic that we’re talking about foolishly sentimental. However, there isn’t a TV show that’s willing to let us appear on the camera.”

“Eh? Then why are you arranging us in a scenery of “two guys sitting on a bench and talk about relationships” if we’re not in a show…? Y-You’re incredible…”

“Hey, why are you chickening out! Don’t distance yourself from me!”

“No…I’m just shocked by this local normie in front of me. You’re way out of my league…”

“What do you mean by a local normie! Where’s its origin!”

“Um, but I wanted to buy something before getting home. Please don’t punch me in the face…”

“No one is punching you! We’re not starring in a youth drama where we decide to meet up next to the dyke and engage in fist-to-fist galore!”

“That’s great. So, what are we talking about then? Oh, how to get rid of the Goombas? Just jump and stomp on his head.”

“Everyone knew that! Moreover, I’m not talking about that game!”

“Come to think of it, a hostile mushroom that kills you on touch terrifies me.”

“Yeah…that’s not even a pawn…No! There’s something I wanted to tell you first, specifically about your relationship.”

“You wanted to say something specifically about my relationship…?”

Amano gave me an honest “what the hell?” look as he tilted his head to the side.

This is true, even though we are friends, talking about someone’s relationship without them asking for advice is basically meddling.”

I knew that…and I reflected on my actions in the past…but there’s something I need to clear up for Amano.

“…………”

“…Uehara-kun?”

…Even so, I’m nervous when I have to say it.

Now, I’m preparing to make a selfish-as-hell announcement. There couldn’t be a worse one coming out from Amano’s friend.

However, there’s something worse.

That is not expressing my thoughts at all, and try to sneak around in the safe zone.

“This is the exact reason why I’m being fooled over by a bunch of misunderstandings. Well, I deserved it to be honest.”

But I won’t do that anymore.

It’s because starting from this moment today…I will express my thoughts and my stance bravely.

“This is a declaration of war to the God of Misunderstandings!”

“…Uehara-kun?”

Amano’s giving me a weird look to me, who just abruptly stood up from the bench.

As for me, I clenched my fist so that I can remember what Nina-senpai said to me.

I mustered up my courage and looked back at Amano’s eye firmly before telling him.

“I can…no longer support the relationship between you and Tendou.”

“…Eh?”

Amano’s eyes immediately lost its focus. His face is clenching like he’s having a stroke. Shock, waver, hopelessness, confusion…There are too many emotions interwinding with each other, he doesn’t know what to do…I’m not blaming him. He would feel like he just got abandoned by the friend he deeply trusted.

Although my friend’s helpless face is hurting my stomach, I have to keep my attitude upright. So, I charged right into it without escaping and continued.

“To put it simply, I can’t support you and Tendou’s relationship from the bottom of my heart right now.”

“…Why…?”

Amano threw a natural question at me. To this, my answer is obvious.

“It’s because I wanted to support Hoshinomori’s feelings towards you.”

It’s my responsibility to support her relationship. Also, most importantly, I really wanted Amano and Hoshinomori to date each other.

“I have to…even if it meant tears on Tendou’s face…”

Realizing the sacrifice you have to make, never paint a limit for yourself, only chase after the thing you wanted…Just like Nina-senpai, I’m not almighty. I don’t have the goodness to make everyone happy, and I’m not brutally requesting Amano to act as a character in harem light novels.

However, if that’s the case, I have to follow my heart and select the person I wanted to support. I understand that I shouldn’t be meddling in their affairs. I know, I really know. Even so, I really wanted to see that scene…I wanted to see Amano and Hoshinomroi happily chatting with each other, I wanted to protect them at all costs.

I won’t allow any people to have an opinion with my tiny wish.

It’s just that, with all that as the premise, I still feel like…

I’m immoral if I just stayed next to Amano, who loves Tendou and keep on pretending that I’m his ally.

“…Uehara-kun?”

Amano urged me to answer again. He wanted to know why I can’t support him and Tendou anymore.

Honestly, I wanted to answer him, I wished to explain everything to him with all of my heart.

However…I can’t, I can’t just respond to the poor soul on my own. It’s absolutely impossible for me to just say what’s on Hoshinomori’s mind without her authorization.

“…I’m sorry, I can’t tell you why.”

“…Really…well…”

Amano touched his chin and nodded imposingly. In reality, he has the right to angry. He’s supposed to be angry. But…Amano didn’t give me that attitude at all.

“Is it because Amano’s a coward…I guess not. That look…it’s like he expected it already.”

Don’t tell me Amano already knew what’s going on when I called him out? I can’t speculate his entire thinking, but at least he didn’t reject me explicitly.

However, that’s why, to be honest, I felt miserable right now.

“…You can curse me.”

“Eh, Uehara-kun, you have a fetish like that?”

“No…”

“Well, I don’t have a reason to yell at you then…But…let me think about this just a little bit more.”

“…Alright.”

I sat back next to him after I answered.

Amano looked forward blankly as he’s seriously thinking about something. 3 minutes passed.

“…I understand. Uehara-kun, I won’t consult you regarding my relationship too much anymore.”

“Too much?”

Amano didn’t promise to not consult me about his relationship again. So, I threw this question at him confusingly. Then…for some reason, Amano smiled embarrassingly.

“Well, think about it…if I’m dating Tendou-san, I can’t help but bring her up while we’re chatting.”

“You’re saying that…you wanted to chat with me.”

I knew what he meant for a bit, so my eyes bulged. Amano only gave my response a bitter smile, but he told me truthfully.

“I understand how you feel. However…a significant premise for all that, we’re still friends when we’re talking about other things. It’s more like, I wish for you to continue seeing me as a friend, please?”

“Amano…”

I can feel the corners of my eyes are heating up. To be honest, I’ve expected Amano to end our friendship right away. No sane person will go out their way to tell his friend that he can no longer support his relationship. But, even so, I’m satisfied…as long as I get to see Amano and Hoshinomori date each other. I’m prepared for anything before that.

But, to a shitty person like me, this guy just said he wanted to keep being my friend.

It’s impossible for me to NOT understand…how much he trusted me, how much he valued our friendship, and how manly he is to make him say such words.

So, the only response I have to make to his words is to try my hardest and give him a smile.

“Sure! I’ll keep bothering you with gaming questions! Prepare for them!”

“Alright, give it your all!”

Amano punched his thin chest as he smiled. I looked at him…and mumbled in my heart.

“Amano…even though I felt terrible for you, but I really wish a person that can warmly smile when it comes to gaming like you…can be accompanied by Hoshinomori.”

I made up my mind again.

“Now that it’s decided…I have to tell everything to Hoshinomori. Let say we’re chatting on the phone, I have to be careful with my words since it involves the true identity of NOBE and Mono…”

“Ah, Uehara-kun. I’m sorry, but it’s time for me to leave.”

Amano raised his head as he stood up next to me, who’s still thinking silently.

“I’m sorry, I just called you out to here. I…wanted to figure something out before I go.”

“I understand. Bye, Uehara-kun. See you next time.

“…Alright..then Amano, we can play games together next time.”

“…Sure! Right! Then goodbye, Uehara-kun.”

“Okay.”

Amano waved at me as he left with a smile on his face…

“Didn’t realize it until now…that guy is surely staunch…”

It’s not going to be easy to change his heart for another girl.

However…I made up my mind. The guy that tried to be smooth and slick while unable to make up his mind – Tasuku Uehara, graduated today.

I stood up from the bench with all my power!

“Witness me, god! I will never allow another misunderstanding in this relationship for as long as I can see!”

I raised my fist to the sky, while the Sun shined brightly, seemingly trying to bless me.



Keita Amano

I turned around after walking for a while. Then, I found out that Uehara-kun rose from his chair and punched the sky with a refreshing look. Did he just encounter something good?

Um, but, now that I’m thinking about it…

“Well, it looks like Uehara-kun loves Tendou-san as well, after all…Sigh…”

I let out a deep sigh as I sneaked below the shades of the trees, seemingly trying to escape the sunlight.

So, to try and hide from the harsh reality, I headed towards the familiar game store depressingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment